XLVI. PRETTY GOOD DATE

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Paper Rings
chapter forty six

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

                    AFTER GATHERING SUPPLIES, ALONG WITH A CANDLE FROM THE STORAGE CLOSET, JIM AND EVELYN MET BACK TOGETHER ON THE ROOF

                    AFTER GATHERING SUPPLIES, ALONG WITH A CANDLE FROM THE STORAGE CLOSET, JIM AND EVELYN MET BACK TOGETHER ON THE ROOF. She walked carefully toward Jim and the chairs he had snuck up there, holding the cans of soda and candle close to her chest. Amused, Jim met her halfway. "We could have gone to the parking lot," he reminded her, taking the cans from her grasp.

          "And miss this?" she replied, scoffing. Her eyes flickered toward the edge of the roof. Her skin had gone impossibly cold, her chest heaving with nervous breaths. "M'lady," he hummed, offering her his elbow. She took it right after, clumsily bumping into him. He led her back to the chairs and allowed her to sit first before moving to take his own seat. "I brought a candle for the bugs," she told him, brandishing the pale green candle and a lighter.

          He chuckled, smiling over at the brunette. "Nice, nice. I brought my world famous grilled cheese," he replied, holding out a plate covered with a napkin. She rubbed her hands together excitedly before accepting the plate. "Perfect," she giggled. "It's been a while since someone made me dinner."

          His eyebrows raised as he took one half of the sandwich. Her cheeks were already starting to get rosy with the cold. Evelyn leaned back into her chair and away from the edge of the roof. Even though they weren't super close, it still made her stomach hurt knowing that it is right there. "So, I heard something," he began, glancing toward the brunette.

          "You do have ears," she teased him. "What exactly did you hear?" His head tilted toward the brunette, a crooked grin plastered across his face. She narrowed her eyes at him. "Just something about a movie..." Her brows furrowed. She hadn't told anyone about her movie, or that she had ever written one. "Sometimes your knowledge scares me," she admitted.

          He grinned playfully. "What was your movie about?" he asked before taking a bite of his half of the sandwich. Suddenly, they could hear shouting. A big flame stood out in the lot across from them, Dwight and Kevin playing around it. Evelyn sighed, a small smile tugging at her lips. "It's cheesy," she mumbled, tucking hair behind her ear. Jim shrugged. "Cheesy movies are, like, my favorite movies of all time."

          She laughed abruptly, making his chest warm. "That is so not true!" she exclaimed. "Every time I say we should watch a cheesy flick, you argue with me." He waved her words off dismissively, making a face. She didn't fight back any more. Instead, she decided that now would be the perfect time. "I always imagined meeting my soulmate in college," she huffed. "I thought college would be like the movies, and I'd go to a party and meet them. I think my thought process was that I went to the bathroom to take a breather and they'd stumble in, drunk, and they'd assume I was upset and kind of sit with me and keep me company."