LXXI. ILLEGAL SUBSTANCES

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Paper Rings
chapter seventy one

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

                    "WHERE WERE YOU SATURDAY NIGHT?"

          "Do you want the short version or the long version?" Evelyn asked. Dwight blinked. A printed picture of marijuana sat between them on the desk. He wore his volunteer sheriff's uniform. "Just answer the question," he replied. Evelyn sighed, arms crossing over her chest. "I left here at five thirty after having to wait on Jim for who knows what. We went to Burger King to get dinner because neither of us wanted to cook. We were there for at least an hour."

          "An hour?" Dwight echoed. "It doesn't take an hour to get your food." Evelyn stared at him, her gaze unwavering. He sat back, motioning for her to continue. "We ate in my car so we wouldn't have to put up with Walter begging for tomato." Dwight's suspicions disappeared with the mention of her cat. He'd seen just how much that old fella enjoyed tomatoes. He'd eat in his car as well. "I'm sorry. Please continue."

          A small smile twitched at the corner of her lips. "We got back to my place, I fed Walter while Jim picked got out the beer and ice cream. And then we stayed up all night watching CSI: Miami reruns." Dwight sat back in his seat. With the edge of his fingertips, he slid the picture closer to her. "Tell me. What is that picture of?"

          "I didn't leave a joint in the parking lot, Dwight. I don't even smoke." His eyes narrowed. She didn't smoke, that much he knew. She got sick just by smelling the smoke of a cigarette. "Alright. You're free to go." Her arms uncrossed and a smile pulled at the corners of her lips. "But if you hear anything..."

          Her left eye dropped into a wink. She wasn't sure who smoked the joint, and she definitely wouldn't snitch, but she liked knowing that Dwight trusted her. And he could trust her, so long as he kept it to himself. Which, he probably wouldn't. Not if he was holding interrogations in the conference room. "Are we still doing lunch today?" she asked.

          "I brought baloney," he replied. Her lips pursed. "I can make it work."

━━━━━━━━━━

JIM
So, yesterday, Dwight found half a joint in the parking lot. Which is unfortunate, because, as it turns out, Dwight finding drugs is more dangerous than most people using drugs.

━━━━━━━━━━

"Pam is telling people in the office that you're amazing at impressions," Evelyn hummed between bites of her cookie. Jim's brows furrowed slightly. He didn't think he was all that great, but he enjoyed the compliment. "Don't let Michael hear or he'll say you're stealing his thunder."