LIX. SUN AND MOON

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Paper Rings
chapter fifty nine

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

                    DUNDER MIFFLIN IS A DISASTER

                    DUNDER MIFFLIN IS A DISASTER. She should have known. She should have known that everyone would find out. She had known on that stupid booze cruise. She had known it would happen, and now there's no way to deny it. Not when everyone knows.

          She was hiding in the supply closet, the light of her phone illuminating her face. She sat on a milk carton, thumb nail bitten between her teeth. She had texted Dwight, of all people, after the news had spread. He was on a stake out, and his replies were slow, but he seemed to be there for her. Like a great friend, of course. She expected nothing less from the bespectacled man.

          "Knock, knock," came a soft voice. She immediately stood, reaching for the door handle. Through the tiny crack, she could see Jim. His face said everything words couldn't. The door swung open further to allow him to slip inside. "You okay?" he asked, arms snaking around her back and pulling her into him. She sighed, nuzzling her face into his chest. "Yeah," she replied. "Just dreading the fact that we're gonna have to fill out that paperwork now."

          A hand smoothed over her hair as a soft rumble filled his chest. "Stop laughing at me, butthead," she muttered, now looping her arms around his waist. He couldn't stop. Not when he felt so much relief that the only thing that worried her was the paperwork. It wasn't the fact people knew. It wasn't shame, or embarrassment. It was just paperwork, such a trivial thing but a huge step.

          "We can do it together," he replied, pressing a gentle kiss to her head. She hummed, pleased with his response. She wouldn't want to do it with anyone else. Light began to spill in as the door opened, a third body stuffing themself into the confined space. Confusion puckered her brows. "Hey, guys," Michael greeted the two. The darkness completely shielded him from their harsh stares. "I just wanted to say I am so sorry. They tortured it out of me. Toby -- that monster --"

          Evelyn scoffed. "It's fine, Michael," she interrupted him, her cheek still pressed to Jim's chest. His heart seemed to calm her down immensely. He fell silent, surprised by her response. "Oh.. Okay, uh, great." She could feel Jim's fingers tracing shapes into her back. He was clearly uncomfortable with Michael being there, but he wasn't opposed to holding her there, in front of someone. Even in the darkness. "Well, uh, at least you don't have to hide it anymore, right? Your not the sun and moon anymore. You're both clouds now!"

          Jim tensed. "Okay, Michael," he blurted out. His arms slowly slipped from her form. "You can go now. Thank you." Once again, light flooded the space and Michael was blatantly shoved from the space. Evelyn turned to Jim, arms crossing over her chest. He couldn't see her face, but he knew that she was staring at him now. "What did he mean by the sun and moon?" she asked, curiosity burning inside her like a wildfire.