Deadland

By lizlovestwd

Adrian Walsh is a very stubborn and prideful 27-year-old. She tolerates her group, mainly sticking by her 12... More

Authors Notes!
Chapter 1- Tolerate
Chapter 2- New Man
Chapter 3- The Man on the Roof
Chapter 4- The Plan
Chapter 5- What the Hell?
Chapter 6- Escape
Chapter 7- Safe Spot
Chapter 8- The Truth
Chapter 9- Boom
Chapter 10- Cars
Chapter 11- Shoot
Chapter 12- Smile
Chapter 13- Well
Chapter 14- Flinch
Chapter 15- Shorts
Chapter 16- Broken Promise
Chapter 17- Hit
Chapter 18- Barn
Chapter 19- Angry
Chapter 20- Creek
Chapter 21- Two
Chapter 22- Strawberries
Chapter 23- Glass
Chapter 24- Hand Holding
Chapter 25- Attitude
Chapter 26- D(e)ad
Chapter 27- Nomads
Chapter 28- Sisters
Chapter 29- Gunman
Chapter 31- Mother
Chapter 32- Lil' Ass-Kicker
Chapter 33- Must, Pine trees, and Cigarettes
Chapter 34- Debrief
Chapter 35- The Woman
Chapter 36- A Third
Chapter 37- Vest
Chapter 38- Asshole
Chapter 39- Secret Apology
Chapter 40- Kiss
Chapter 41- Bracelet
Chapter 42- High
Chapter 43- Jean Vest
Chapter 44- PBND
Chapter 45- Detective
Chapter 46- Chomp
Chapter 47- Best Friend
Chapter 48- No idea
Chapter 49- Rock
Chapter 50- Wound
Chapter 51- Charges
Chapter 52- The Fall
Chapter 53- Thoughts
Chapter 54- Alyssa
Chapter 55- Claimers
Chapter 56- Rabbit
Chapter 57- Shirt
Chapter 58- Red Hat
Chapter 59- What?
Chapter 60- Dumb, Dumber, Dumbest
Chapter 61- Tainted Meat
Chapter 62- Mission
Chapter 63- Shoulda', Woulda', Coulda' (Part 1)
Chapter 64- Shoulda', Woulda', Coulda' (Part 2)
Chapter 65- Silence
Chapter 66- Cigarette
Chapter 67- Intruder
Chapter 68- Gas
Chapter 69- Rattlesnake
Chapter 70- Observer
Chapter 71- Crushed
Chapter 72- The Meeting
Chapter 73- What Was the Plan?
Chapter 74- The End Was With You
Chapter 75- Do Pretty Bitches Die?
Chapter 76- Balloons
Chapter 77- Exhaustion
Chapter 78- Is Negan Alive? (Part 1)
Chapter 79- Is Negan Alive? (Part 2)
Chapter 80- Maybe It's Not
Chapter 81- Over This Shit
Chapter 82- Agony
Chapter 83- Concussion
Chapter 84- Build Up
Chapter 85- Reunited
Chapter 86- Night Terror
Chapter 87- Manipulated
Chapter 88- Guts
Chapter 89- Revenge
Chapter 90- Back to the Beginning
Chapter 91- Isolation
Chapter 92- Bullethole
Chapter 93- Re-Traumatized
Chapter 94- Batshit Fuckin' Crazy
Chapter 95- Life or Death...Literally
Chapter 96- I Wish You Understood
Chapter 97- Bad Timing
Chapter 98- Rollercoaster of Emotions
Chapter 99- The Final Battle
Chapter 100- Did Nick Actually Deserve it?
Chapter 101- Actual Happiness
Chapter 102- Murder Mystery
Chapter 103- Just Like Everyone Else
Chapter 104- Last Time
Chapter 105- X
Chapter 106- Belt Buckle
Chapter 107- Journey
Chapter 108- Masks?
Chapter 109- Cell
Chapter 110- Unexpected
Chapter 111- Knock Out
Chapter 112- Oh God
Chapter 113- Blizzard
Chapter 114- Satellite
Chapter 115- Backstory
Chapter 116- Bug-a-boo
Chapter 117- You Think I Would Hit You?
Chapter 118- Hemlock
Chapter 119- Cave
Chapter 120- Horde
Chapter 121- Kaboom
Chapter 122- Rendezvous
Chapter 123- Whisperer War
Chapter 124- Metro
Chapter 125- Teenager
Chapter 126- Alden
Chapter 127- I'm Not Lying!
Chapter 128- Dual
Chapter 129- I Fucking Failed You
Chapter 130- I'm Done
Epilogue
Authors Notes!

Chapter 30- Shit Happens

97 2 68
By lizlovestwd

Rick, Daryl, T-Dog, and I all take the prisoners to grab weapons after bringing food back to C block. 

Gunman picks up a hammer. "Why do I need this, when I've got his?" He holds up his gun. "Not unless your back's up against a wall. Noise attracts them. It really riles 'em up." Daryl says. 

"We'll go in two by two. Daryl and T will run point with Adrian. I'll bring up the rear with you." Rick points to the shortest man. "Stay tight, hold formation no matter how close the Walkers get. Anyone breaks ranks, we could all go down. Anyone runs off, they could get mistaken for a Walker, end up with an axe to the head." 

"And that's where you aim. These things only go down with a headshot." Daryl adds. 

"You ain't gotta tell us how to take out a man." "Yeah, after dropping your soap every three seconds- I'm sure you know how to take a man out." I scoff. They all look at me, "Adrian." Rick says through gritted teeth; Daryl has to hide a smirk. 

"Just remember, go for the brain." Rick says, disregarding my comment. 

We all begin walking down the halls, searching for another cellblock. 

The sound of clanging grabs everyone's attention. "It's coming!" The handlebar man says way too loudly. Rick shushes him quickly and Daryl holds his hand up, signaling us to wait. Two Walkers round the corner and being stumbling to us, growling and snarling.

After a moment of silence, other than the sound of the prisoner's breathing and the two Walker's growls, the prisoners all yell out and run to the Walkers. They begin to stab and beat them, not even touching the head.

I throw my hands up and toss my head back. "This is what we're saving?" Daryl scoffs, "Guess so." The sight of them trying their hardest to stab them in the stomach, beat them, and just try to kill them all together without actually making a dent makes me chuckle a bit. 

After a little bit, Daryl and I nod to each other, and we shoot both of the Walkers with our arrows. Without another word, we all begin walking again. 

A few minutes later, another Walker walks through the doorframe of a hallway. 

"It's gotta be the brain." Daryl says, aiming his crossbow at the Walker. "Not the stomach, not the heart- the brain." He shoots his crossbow and quickly takes the Walker down. 

As another Walker stumbles through the doorframe, handlebar man says, "I hear you. The brain." The second tallest kills the Walker by hitting it in the top of the head with a crowbar. 

"Like that?" He asks. "Uh-huh." Daryl replies. 

Handlebar man kills another Walker as it stumbles in. There's one more left, Rick kills it quickly with his machete. 

"Stay in tight formation. No more prison riot crap." He says, stepping back into our group as we tighten closer together. 

Walkers begin quickly coming in the corner that we're all standing, all of the prisoners jump into action, killing them one by one. 

A scream comes from the room behind us, Rick runs in and shortly after, three shots are fired. Daryl, T-Dog, and I all look at each other. 

"You have got to be kidding me." I groan, running in there. 

Gunman is standing with his gun aimed at a dead Walker, Big Tiny's back is bleeding and Rick looks furious. 

Everyone runs in and Rick makes Big Tiny turn around. A big gash is on his lower shoulder blade, blood seeps out of it. 

"I'm fine. It's just a scratch." He pleads. "I'm sorry man." Rick looks at his feet. "I can keep fighting!" "You cut that old man's leg off to save his life-" The shortest gets interrupted by Rick. "Look at where the bite is!" 

"Guys I'm fine just- I'm fine." Big Tiny takes a deep breath to sooth his mind and looks around at all of us. "I'm fine. Look at me- I'm not changing into one of those things." 

"Look man, there has to be something we can do." The second tallest says. "We could just lock him up." "Quarantine him." Handlebar man mentions. "We gotta do something. Why you just standing there? We gotta save 'im!" The shortest pleads to Rick. 

"There's nothing we can do." Rick says, flatly. "You son of a bitch." The shortest says, backing up. 

Immediately, his words are followed by a thump and Big Tiny falling to the ground. Gunman stands over his body with his hammer. 

The gunman looks at everyone before beating Big Tiny's head in, blood splattering everywhere. Daryl and I exchange a glance, not really knowing what to do.

Blook cover's gunman's face as he straightens up and looks at Rick, panting. 

Without saying anything, he walks away, Rick's eyes follow him as he walks. 

"Jesus H. Christ." I mumble. "What's his middle name?" T-Dog asks. "Harold, duh." T-Dog scoffs and nods. Rick just glares at us and follows after gunman; we all trail behind. 

T-Dog and I find our way to the front, gunman is protected in the middle so that he can't do anything secretly. Daryl and Rick are walking in the back, prohibiting him from running off. 

As we walk through the halls, the silence is deafening. I can tell everyone is a little off put after what just happened. The air is so tense I could cut it with my dagger. 

T-Dog and I approach a door, I put my hand on the knob, waiting for his signal to open it. He nods slightly and I quickly open the door. He runs in, ready for any potential danger.

I go in quickly after him, everyone follows. 

Inside is a laundry room. A shelving unit in the middle has abandoned laundry baskets and clothes just lying about. There's litter all over the floor and it's definitely missing some washers and dryers. 

Rick tosses the keys on the floor; they slide to gunman's feet. Gunman slowly looks at Rick, "I ain't opening that." He motions towards the other closed door. 

"Yes, you are." Rick orders. 

"If you want this cell block," I take a step forward. "You gotta grow a dick and prove to yourself that you're actually brave enough to kill Walkers on your own." "Oh I have a dick." Gunman responds.

"Hey, focus." Rick shines his flashlight on the double doors. "Now you're going to open this, just the one. Not both, we need to control this." 

Gunman sighs and picks up the keys, glaring at Rick. He looks back at his friends before walking up to the door and unlocking one of the sides. 

When the door unlocks, he turns to everyone. "You bitches ready?" He looks at me, "Don't get your panties in a twist, sweetheart. If you break a nail, you can just walk away." I clench my jaw. "I'm sure you would love to twist my panties." Gunman just smirks, turning back to the door and trying to open it. 

He pulls, using his whole body but it doesn't budge. He looks directly at me and says, "I got this." His face turning red with determination and probably embarrassment. 

Finally, with one final pull, he swings both of the doors open. Walkers that are filling the halls immediately begin to stumble towards us. 

"One job." I say, shooting the first Walker with my bow and arrow. 

"I said one door!" Rick yells. "Shit happens!" Gunman responds as everyone backs up and braces for the fight. 

As I'm backing up, I suddenly bump into Daryl, the sudden impact causes us both to stumble. His hands grip my hips tightly but not roughly, to steady both of us. My heartbeat quickens when I feel his firm hands on my hips, but it's just because of the Walkers stumbling into the room, obviously. 

"Shit, sorry." He just grunts in response. I back up to the right of him and everyone begins killing Walkers, trying desperately to keep each other or themselves alive. 

The sounds of us yelling, grunting, and the sounds of knives plunging into Walker's heads fill the air, as well as growls and snarls. 

Out of nowhere, gunman throws a Walker at Rick, causing him to fall over with the Walker on top of him. Daryl quickly puts his hand on my shoulder, signaling for me to move and rushes over to help Rick. "T, mind the gap!" He yells, killing the Walker. 

As the fighting finally comes to a stop, the room is filled with a newfound silence. Silence because of the first life or death fight the prisoners had and silence because of what happened between the gunman and Rick. 

Daryl helps Rick up and Rick walks over to the gunman, his anger radiating off of him. 

"It was comin' at me bro." Gunman tries to explain. "Yeah, yeah, I get it." Rick says through gritted teeth. He fake smiles, "I get it." His smile drops. "Shit happens." 

I feel a little awkward as gunman and Rick both just stare at each other. But that awkwardness quickly disappears as the shortest yells out, "No!" As Rick slices gunman's head open with his machete. 

Fucking finally. I was about to do it myself.

Rick and the shortest make eye contact, the shortest's bat is held ready to hit Rick. 

"Ah!" He yells, going to hit Rick with the bat but Rick kicks him in the stomach, sending him to the ground. "Easy now." Daryl grunts, aiming his crossbow at the man on the ground. 

The man scoots back quickly and runs through the hallway, panting. "I got him." Rick says, quickly running after him. 

Daryl aim's his crossbow at the tallest remaining man, "Man get down on your knees." The man puts his hands up in surrender and quickly kneels, setting his axe down. 

"We don't have no affiliation to what just happened." Handlebar man pleads. "Tell him, Oscar!" 

Oscar just dead stares handlebar man, his hands still in the air. "Stop talkin', man." He speaks. The handlebar man just looks down at his feet, not saying anything else. T-Dog motions for him to get on his knees so he does so, T's gun being aimed at his head. 

I just stand there, slightly awkward. I rock on my heels, looking around. "So...whatchu' guys in here for?" Everybody just looks at me, confused. I just nod and look away. 

"'s a nice laundry room." "Adrian shut up." T-Dog groans. I purse my lips and nod again, looking around. 

Rick comes back empty handed, I assume the man is dead. He quickly walks over to Oscar and holds his gun to his head, "What the hell was that?" He spits.

"We didn't have nothin' to do with that." "You didn't know? You knew." Rick quickly turns and aim's the gun at handlebar man. "Daryl, let's end this now." 

"Sir, sir, you gotta listen to me, please!" His voice comes out as a whimpering plead. "It was them that was bad. It wasn't us!" "Oh, that's convenient!" Rick tilts his head, still aiming his gun. Daryl holds his knife to Oscar's throat, fear climbs it's way into Oscar's eyes. 

"You saw what he did to Tiny! He was my friend," The man begins to cry slightly. I scoff and shake my head.

Pussy.

"Please, we ain't like that. I like my pharmaceuticals, but I'm no killer." "Hey, same!" I say, smiling and shrugging. Everybody just looks at me, "Okay, I'm done talking now." 

"Oscar here, he's a B and E, and he ain't very good at it neither. We ain't the violent kind, they were! Please, I swear to god! I wanna live!" His voice comes out as a weak plea, his hands shaking from fear.  

Rick thinks for a moment before quickly turning to Oscar, I hold my bow and arrow ready at handlebar man's head just in case. 

Oscar's dead faced; he's come to terms with whatever happens. 

Handlebar man looks at T, his eyes glossy with tears. 

"What about you?" Rick asks Oscar. "I ain't never pleaded for my life." 

I like him

"And I ain't about to start now. So you do whatchu' gotta do." Sweat trickles down Rick's temple as he contemplates what to do with Oscar, let him live or kill him? 

After a minute he speaks through gritted teeth, "Get up." 

Rick roughly shoves handlebar man into cell block D, Oscar following behind. 

"Oh man." Handlebar man whimpers. "I knew these guys. They were good men. 

"Let's go." Rick says, not looking at the two men. 

"So you just gon' leave us in here? Man, this is sick." Oscar whispers. "We're locking down this cell block. From now on this part of the prison is yours. Take it or leave it, that was the deal." With that, Rick walks out of the cell block.

Daryl steps up, "You think this is sick? You don't wanna know what's outside." 

"Consider yourselves the lucky ones." Rick says from outside of the cell block; he begins to walk down the hallway. "Sorry 'bout your friends, man." Daryl grunts, walking away. I follow closely behind, T-Dog closes the gate door behind us. 

When we make it back to our cell block, Carl immediately says "Hershel stopped breathing." "Wow, okay. 'Welcome back. Glad you didn't die.' 'Gee, thanks Carl!" I mumble as I pass Damien, he chuckles at my words. 

A little over a minute after we walk into the cell with Hershel in it, his eyes slowly open. 

"Daddy?" Maggie whispers. "Daddy!" Beth laughs in excitement and kneels next to him. 

I'm standing in the doorway with Daryl, our shoulders are just barely not touching. Him and I look at each other but don't say anything. 

Damien raises his eyebrow at us, he motions to me fidgeting with my fingers- which I didn't notice. 

I shake my head at him and look away before he actually opens his mouth and says something. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.3K 314 98
From her journal, this tale is told from the perspective of one survivor, Grace Oliver, as she tries to navigate the post-apocalyptic world. She meet...
48.7K 2.8K 20
❝𝐒𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐝 𝐖𝐢𝐧𝐝❞ ― In a world taken over by walkers, ten-year-old Elodie fights to survive each day. But she's not just any survivor-she's a g...
58.7K 894 35
A pre-apocalyptic love story about a young woman and her taboo relationship with her Dad's best friend, Merle Dixon. Will their budding relationship...
1M 28K 65
I didn't want her to know about him, to know about the man that had left us behind. But now that he was back, how could I hide it? How could I hide t...