Left for Dead (book 1 in the...

By werecoyote9653

So this is a story I wrote about a girl named Nova. She lives in a world where everyone has a supernatural po... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Sorry, not a chapter
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Not an Update
Another note, sorry!
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Final Note

Prologue

182 9 2
By werecoyote9653

Alright, let's clear this up: my Name's Nova. I'm only thirteen. I live in a supernatural world where everyone has some sort of power. Only one in five thousand people is actually normal. Nowadays, no one was regular. And if you were, the Government would kill you. The Government runs our society. They make the rules, they enforce the rules, they decided who and what is dangerous. And what powers were dangerous. I always promised myself over and over again that if I ever came into contact with someone who had a power labeled as dangerous, I would report them to the Government right away.

Now that we've got the introduction out of the way, I can tell you what's happening. I'm at school. I know, boring. But I've got to come here. Sometimes, it's not so bad. Right now I'm in history, and we're learning about the different supernatural powers we could have soon. Yeah, if you don't get your power by the time you are fourteen, the Government labels you as an Impota and kills you.

For those of you who don't know, an Impota is a person with no supernatural ability. A Normal, as I like to say.

I am thrown out of my thoughts by a voice saying my name.

"Nova? Do you know the answer?" Mr. Brown asked. Mr. Brown is my history teacher. He was usually pretty mean.

I look around the room, hoping to find out what the question is. When I find nothing, I say "can you please repeat the question?"

He says "what is it called when a person has the ability to control the four main elements?" He looks at me with an expectant look.

I take a deep breath. I know that a person who controls water has Hydrokinesis, a person who controls fire has Pyrokinesis, someone who controls air has Aerokinesis, and someone who controls Earth has Geokinesis. What was the combination? I take a deep breath and say "umm, Hydrokinetic?"

He shakes his head and says "that's water. I asked you about fire, water, air, and Earth."

I say "what if I can name the four of those?" I know the four of them, I just don't know the combination.

He says "I'll give you a bonus point if you name them all, but you still have to tell me what a person is if they control all four."

I sigh and say "fire is Pyrokinesis, air is Aerokinesis, water is Hydrokinesis, and Earth is Geokinesis."

He says "very good. Now, what is it called when a person controls all four?"

I think back to the rest of them. Atmokinesis? I think that's it. I ask "is it Atmokinesis?"

He says "no, that is controlling the atmosphere. But it is close. Atmoskinesis."

I say "close enough, I forgot to add the s."

He says "but instead, you gave me an entirely different power. People who have Atmokinesis are much more common than people with Atmoskinesis. No one has Atmoskinesis in over three hundred years, and someone with Atmokinesis is probably sitting in this room right now."

I sigh and say "isn't Atmoskinesis the most uncommon power?"

He nods and says "it is very, very rarely that someone is born with the power to control all of the elements. No one has had that power in a long, long time. And no one probably ever will again."

I sit back in my chair and look over at my best friend, Finn. Yeah, my best friend is a dude. Don't judge. It's not weird. We're just friends.

Finn looks at me with a mischievous grin on his face. He whispers "look at the door."

I turn to look at the door to the classroom. It was slowly opening and shutting, all by itself. I look back over at Finn, and he is pointing his index finger at the door, slowly moving it left and right, and the door follows his finger.

Yeah, I should've mention this before; Finn got his power a couple of months ago. Telekinesis. He could move any object with his mind, if he wants to.

Mr. Brown looks at the door and says "who developed the telekinesis?"

Finn slowly puts his finger down. He didn't tell teachers that he developed powers, because he wanted to be able to pull pranks like that.

I laugh and cover my face, so Mr. Brown doesn't see that I'm laughing.

Mr. Brown says "Nova? Is it you?"

I pull my face out of my hands and see everyone in the room is looking at me, except Finn.

"No, Mr. Brown. I did not develop telekinesis." I haven't developed any power, I thought. Yeah, it's true. I'm thirteen, and I have no power. And if it doesn't develop by the time I'm fourteen, my family is going to have to send me to the Government. They'll either test me to find my power, or they'll kill me. If you're wondering why they'd kill me, it's because they'd fear I'm an Impota. I already mentioned the Impota, right? The Normals? I think I did. So I'll skip it for now.

I was really hoping to either have telekinesis, like Finn, or maybe Chronokinesis, the ability to slow down or speed up time. Then I'd have as long as I want to do my homework. Or maybe even Hydrokinesis. I just want something. Anything.

Mr. Brown continues to teach the class, and I just sit there and listen, writing down all the different powers we could eventually develop.

After about fifteen minutes the bell rings, signaling that class is over. I gather my books and stand up.

Finn walks over to me and says "enjoy my little trick?"

I laugh and say "yeah, it was funny until he asked if I had telekinesis."

He says "but don't you want telekinesis?"

I nod and say "that's beside the point."

He says "then what is the point?"

I sigh and say "I don't even know. Just don't let me get blamed for your stuff, now he thinks it's me who's doing all that stuff."

He says "and there's the point. You don't wanna be blamed."

I say "that is not the point."

He laughs and says "well there are no other point-like options. So that must be the point, that you don't wanna be blamed."

I sigh and roll my eyes. I say "whatever. We've gotta go now, we're gonna be late for our next class."

The bell rings, signaling that our next class is starting.

He says "too late. Don't worry about it, I'll take the fall for it this time."

I say "same as always? I go in a minute late, you go in even later?"

He nods and says "now we've really gotta go if this is gonna work."

I laugh and start walking to the door. The hallway was practically empty. We get to the stairs we need to go down to get to our class. I tell him "levitate my stuff for a minute, please?"

He sighs but points his finger at my books, and they lift into the air. It was only about an inch, but it was still impressive.

"Don't follow me, just walk." I take a few steps back and run towards the edge of the stairs. I do a flip over the railing and grab onto the rail of the next floor down. I swing myself over the rail.

Fin comes running down and says "are you insane?! You could've gotten hurt!"

I say "well my birthday is in a month anyways and I still have no powers, so I guess YOLO."

He says "do not invoke the YOLO policy on this. This isn't a YOLO thing."

Yeah, we created what we call the 'YOLO policy'. As most people should know, YOLO means 'you only live once'. So we made a deal a few years ago. We could do anything we wanted and as long as we didn't get hurt, the other couldn't yell at us. If we only live once, why not be reckless now and then?

He says "here, take your books and run into that classroom. Now." He hands me my books.

I nod and run into the classroom, where our math teacher, Mrs. Nelson, was handing out a packet. I think of a quick lie and say "oh my god I'm so sorry I'm late I fell in the hall and I dropped all of my books and all my papers went everywhere."

Mrs. Nelson says "Nova, that's not an excuse. Deten-"

Suddenly Finn comes bursting into the classroom. He says "I'm sorry I'm so late Mrs. Nelson but I had to stay in my last class for a minute because I had to ask my teacher a few questions about what we were doing."

Mrs. Nelson forgets that she was yelling at me and says "Finn, detention. Tomorrow."

Finn sighs and takes his place next to me.

I whisper "thanks."

He nods and says "anytime."

Suddenly, a light appears in the back of the room. A girl's voice calls out "Mrs. Nelson?!"

I suddenly realized that it was my second best friend, Blaire.

Mrs. Nelson says "Blare! Oh my god! A Photokinetic!" Yeah, that means she can manipulate light. Basically, my second best friend is now a light switch.

Blaire smiles and says "oh my god." She flicks her wrist, and all the lights in the classroom go out. She does it again, and they turn back on.

Just another person getting their powers, I thought. Just another person that isn't me.

** A/N keep in mind, if you didn't already know, I made up the word Impota. it's not actually a thing

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Static By Hattie

Teen Fiction

7.6K 317 17
{COMPLETED} "now that you've had your fun electrocuting me, would you care to hop in the backseat?" ...
606K 24.6K 46
*SAMPLE ONLY! FIRST 5 CHAPTERS AVAILABLE!* *This is the third and final book of my supernatural series. It is NOT complete on here, but you CAN find...
29.3K 762 39
this is a sequel to another one of my fanfics, Until the End of Time, but you DO NOT have to read that to understand this so feel free to read this a...
70.4K 3.1K 102
*NOTE: This Story is Complete! When the most powerful Alpha buys me at an underground auction, I never dreamed he would claim me as his Mate. Brenn...