What is family?

By serene_fictionist

Angelina Marino The only princess of the Marino family. The world knows her as a princess who has everything... More

Author's Note
CHARACTER SKETCH
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Characters, their relations and ages
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Author's note
Chapter 117
Author's Note
Vince's book - A small peek into it!
A short notice!
Vince's book - A small excerpt
Vince book PUBLISHED!

Chapter 118

9.5K 385 172
By serene_fictionist

-------IMPORTANT NOTE----

Dear readers, this is the last chapter! 🤧

Shower all your love through loads and loads of votes and comments to soothe this author's nostalgia. 🥺

Now, enjoy reading!

-------IMPORTANT NOTE ENDS------

Third Person POV

The enjoyment and the thrill of winter break came to an end.

It was the last day before school started for the final months of the academic year.

Angelina has been irritated and grumpy since the past day.

It was the morning before the school day and she was lying on the grass in the garden while Aria was busy searching about the biomedical laboratory tour she was going to attend in a few months.

"You're going to go to that lab anyway. Why are you learning about it beforehand?", Angel whined, bored.

"I don't want to look dumb among all those research students.", Aria said anxiously.

"You and dumb never come in the same sentence ever. At least not in regards to studies.", Angel deadpanned.

Aria was so engrossed in reading that she tuned out Angel's complaints.

Angelina had enough of her sister's ignorance and snatched the tablet from her hand.

"Hey!", Aria exclaimed.

"Stop reading, Anna. You'll do that from tomorrow anyway. Today's our last day of winter break.", Angel huffed, displeased.

Aria sighed, placing her head on her sister's shoulder.

"Fine. What shall we do now?", she asked.

"Relax, of course.", Angel said lazily.

Aria pursed her lips. Reading was a form of relaxation to her. But she knew her sister would complain the whole day if she didn't relent.

"Gosh! I really don't want to go to school.", Angel said, annoyed.

"You can sit with me and my friends in class.", Aria offered gently.

"No way. Sitting alone is also an art. Moreover, you'll not let me sleep.", Angel shuddered.

"You're not supposed to sleep.", Aria replied flatly.

Angel pouted at that.

"I guess tomorrow's class will be abou-", Aria was saying something, but she was cut off by a guard who just walked to them.

He cleared his throat to gain their attention.

Angel and Aria turned around, a little startled.

"Mr. Marino is here, Ms. He would like to meet you.", the guard informed calmly, looking at Aria.

"Who?", Aria asked, frowning.

All her brothers were addressed the same way, so she wondered who could it could be. 

"Mr. Riccardo.", the guard answered.

Aria stiffened at that.

Her father was here?

Why?

Especially, why now?

She looked at Angel, tensed, wondering she might feel uncomfortable as they were just recovering from all that had happened in the past weeks.

Angelina's countenance was calm and casual.

"I don't want to-", Aria was going to say to the guard, but stopped when Angel squeezed her hand gently.

"You should go.", she said calmly.

"But-", Aria was going to argue, but her sister cut her off gently.

"You should go, Anna.", Angel said gently.

Aria was troubled.

She didn't want her sister to get hurt due to her father. After weeks of distress, both of them were finally enjoying their peaceful routine.

She was upset at her father's arrival.

In fact, she herself wasn't ready for a conversation with him.

However, she decided to go and talk to him.

She wanted to make it clear to him one last time about who matters the most to her.

"Fine, I'm coming. Give me a few minutes.", Aria said, looking at the guard, who nodded in response and walked away.

"I'm irritated.", Aria confessed, annoyed.

"Relax, Anna.", Angel said, placing her head on her sister's shoulder.

Aria couldn't help but hold her sister's hand tightly in apprehension.

Angel could feel Aria's agitation and sat up straight, facing her sister straight in the eyes.

"What's bothering you?", she asked firmly.

Aria let out a breath and looked at her sister, frowning.

"We're just getting better from all the distress we went through and I don't want dad to disturb this peace. I can't accept it if he even remotely hurts you.", Aria replied, honestly.

Angelina palmed her face. She held Aria's shoulders and shook her up gently.

"Anna, I've told you already, I have been a fool for a long time, but I am not foolish now. Your father cannot hurt me anymore. How can a person who doesn't hold even a small part of my heart hurt me?", Angel said seriously, her tone firm.

Aria was still not convinced.

She just could not let the elders in the family hurt her sister anymore.

"Now, stop with that anxious expression and go meet him.", Angel said, pulling her sister up to stand.

Aria was reluctant, but Angel pushed her gently towards the living room.

Collecting a deep breath, Aria walked in.

Riccardo was sitting on the sofa, his face as stoic as ever.

As he saw his daughter walk in, his gaze gentled.

To his disappointment, he noticed that his daughter was clearly not happy to see him.

Aria walked to the sofa and sat a little away from him, upsetting him further.

"How are you doing now, princess?", he asked gently.

"Fine.", was all she replied, looking at him stoically.

"How're your wounds coming along?", he asked further.

"They're healing good.", she replied calmly.

Riccardo knew he couldn't just keep exchanging pleasantries. He had come to talk about something important and he needed to say it.

"I know you're upset at me and the others, princess. I got to know from your aunt that she had already revealed to you about Claire's death and how we assumed Angelina was..", Riccardo trailed off, not intending to complete that statement.

"What about it, dad? Why are you bringing that up now?", Aria asked as calmly as she could, anger bubbling within her, remembering how her aunt had tried to convince her onto their side.

"I never liked Angelina from the very beginning. I hated her. But as time went by, I had started to slowly try to be a little civil to her. It was during that time, you came back to us. I can't describe how happy I was. From then on, I began to dislike the girl again.", Riccardo said calmly, looking at his daughter.

"I was selfish, Arianna, I accept it. I wanted my daughter to get everything. I wanted my daughter to get all the love, not even a percent of it being shared to someone who was not our blood. Resentment had started bubbling within me and I wanted the girl away. I didn't want her to ever snatch anything from you. Your brothers love her and you yourself loved her and I was tensed that one day you might lose everything.", Riccardo confessed calmly, yet there was no guilt in his voice.

Aria looked at her father, with nothing but anger swirling in her blue eyes.

"Are you justifying yourself, dad, or are you trying to win my favor?", she asked seriously, a faint sarcastic smile gracing her lips.

Riccardo pursed his lips. He knew she would not accept his truth with open arms, but the hidden hostility beneath her eyes was something he didn't expect.

"You might have had your reasons to dislike my sister and neither will I ask for those reasons nor would I ever want to listen to them, but I will not accept anyone hurting my sister. I don't need your reasons. The day you start being respectful to Angelina, I will take it as you making up for the disappointment and distress I have faced.", Aria said firmly, making her resolve known clearly.

Riccardo was going to say something, but before he could, the twins walked in angrily.

"What're you doing here, dad?", Ace asked seriously, looking at his father with an angry frown.

Aria looked at the twins and groaned internally.

She didn't want another drama.

"Do I need a reason to meet my kids?", Riccardo asked firmly.

"Very convenient for you to remember you have kids when they already lost hope on you.", Ash scoffed.

Riccardo stiffened.

Aria and Ace weren't surprised at Ash's words.

He never filtered his words or emotions no matter how harsh they sounded.

"Ashton.", Riccardo reprimanded sternly.

Before Ash could retort, Angel walked in with a bag in her hand.

"Hey, guys, do you know any stores where I can sell used goods?", she asked casually, not casting a glance at Riccardo.

"What do you want to sell?", Ace frowned.

Aria and Ash stiffened. They didn't want Angelina in their father's presence.

"Oh, just a few goods that I had bought for father's day and XXth of YY month on account of a man's birthday since the past few years.", Angel replied, shrugging casually.

Riccardo and the others stiffened. That was his birthday.

"I had brought these gifts for the wrong person and don't want to keep this trash in my closet anymore. Moreover, why should I lose my valuable pocket money for insignificant people?", Angel scoffed sarcastically.

She turned towards Riccardo and her blue eyes turned mischievous.

"Oh, hi, Mr. Marino, I didn't notice you there. Hope you're doing well.", Angelina greeted sweetly, pretending to notice him just at that moment.

Riccardo could clearly see the mirth in her eyes and clenched his jaw at the disrespect.

Aria's eyes widened and she had a hard time stifling her laugh. Her sister just called Riccardo an insignificant person.

Ace and Ash looked at their sister, surprised.

That was the first time Angelina had ever been so casual and leisurely in their father's presence.

"Oh goodness! You guys didn't serve Mr. Marino with any drinks or snacks? You should learn to treat our guests better, guys.", Angelina said in fake disappointment.

She had so casually asserted her right in the house and in turn pushed him down to the status of a guest to his own kids that Riccardo was stunned.

Aria couldn't help the proud smile that was pushing forth.

Ash laughed without any thought and Ace rubbed his lips with his thumb to cover his smile.

"I'll go and inform Sofia to serve you something to eat, Mr. Marino, excuse me.", Angel said, smiling politely, and walked out.

Aria didn't bother saying anything to her father and walked out.

As she stepped out of the living room, she rushed to the garden, knowing well that's where Angelina would be.

As soon as she reached her sister, she hugged her tightly, laughing.

Angel too laughed out, reciprocating the hug.

"That felt so liberating!", Angel exclaimed, breaking the hug.

"That was savage!", Aria laughed.

"I feel so relieved right now!", Angel raised her voice in excitement, smiling widely.

She wrapped her hands around Aria's waist and slightly lifted her off the ground, twirling her in happiness and relief.

Aria laughed out and both of them fell to the soft grass, losing balance.

Lying on the grass on their back and facing the clear blue sky, they laughed at their own antics, finally free from the burdens and apprehensions they had been carrying about the elders.

On the other hand, Riccardo left without meeting his eldest sons. His daughter's protectiveness for Angelina and Angelina's lack of fear for him had shown him the harsh reality.

As much as he still didn't like Angelina, he had to start trying to be civil to her as he couldn't just stay away from his daughter.

It might take some time, but he would try his best to make it up to his daughter and sons.

The rest of the day passed by in peace. Vince didn't comment anything about his father's abrupt visit.

From the next day, school started for Dylan, the twins, Aria and Angel, bringing them back to their routine.

Angel refused to sit with Aria's friends, reassuring her sister that she was more than fine.

Aria, however, always had an eye set on Angel, not letting her sister feel lonely.

A few weeks passed by calmly, with Aria and Angel attending their therapy seriously, both of them working hard to fight their own remaining issues.

On one such very routine evening, Angelina was lying on Aria's couch and surfing through her phone while Aria was reading a book.

"Easton wanted to meet me as he had come to the city to visit Kris. Vince was fine with it, so I'm going to the mall tomorrow to meet him. You have to come with me too.", Angel said firmly, leaving no room for argument.

"I have no problem, but what if Easton feels awkward?", Aria asked, lifting her gaze up from her book to her sister.

"He won't. He has a really good impression of you.", Angel replied reassuringly.

"It's fine by me then.", Aria shrugged.

Vince was fine with Angelina meeting her maternal family. He informed Reece that they can visit Angelina at any time without any restriction.

However, Easton didn't want to visit her in Marino mansion as he wanted the atmosphere to be free and not awkward.

He suggested meeting at the mall and Vince agreed to it.

The day passed by and the next day Angel and Aria were all set to meet Easton at the mall.

They left for the mall, one of the guards driving them.

As soon as they left, Ash dragged Dylan and Ace towards the entrance door, forcing them to tag along in his trip to the mall.

Theo, who was just leaving for office after sending the girls off, looked at his brothers, frowning.

"Where are you going?", he asked.

"Nowhere. Just for a small relaxing drive.", Ash replied.

"Did you forget that you're grounded until next week?", Theo raised a brow.

Ash groaned in annoyance.

"Theo, cover it up for us just this once. This is very important.", Ash said seriously.

"What trouble did you get in again?", Theo asked, frowning.

"We didn't get in any trouble.", Ace said.

"Then, where are you going and for what reason?", Theo questioned.

"Ash wants to spy on Aria and Angel.", Dylan said in a bored tone.

"Way to bust our cover, Dyl.", Ash rolled his eyes.

"Why do you want to spy on them?", Theo asked, displeased.

"Because they are meeting those Reeces.", Ash replied.

"What about meeting the Reeces?", Theo asked.

"Why are you guys so slow in understanding? Firstly, I don't like Angel meeting them and secondly, I don't want that kid, Zayden, to try anything funny with Aria.", Ash said angrily.

That caught Theo's attention.

He couldn't help the apprehension bubbling within him.

"Theo, please don't let Vince know about us going out today. We'll come back in no time.", Ace said, bugged by the doubts his twin planted in everyone's head.

"I'll come too.", Theo said calmly.

Dylan and the twins looked at him, surprised.

"I can't wait for you to give me the details about what happened. I don't want anyone trying anything inappropriate with Aria. Moreover, it frustrates me whenever I think about Angel meeting Easton. If only Vince had outrightly denied them, we would never have had the reason to bear that Easton.", Theo said in a sour tone.

"True.", Dylan accepted.

The brothers soon set out to the mall too.

On the other hand, as soon as Angel and Aria reached the mall, Angel called Easton to know where they were.

After receiving a reply from him, they walked to the food court and searched around for him.

"Angelina", Easton's voice, made them turn around.

He walked to them, smiling gently in greeting.

"Hey!", Angel greeted, smiling brightly.

"Hi.", Aria greeted with a soft smile.

"Hi, young ladies.", he greeted with a warm smile.

"You came alone?", Angel asked.

"Kris and Zay are sitting over there. I've come to guide you to our table.", Easton replied.

Aria was startled.

Zayden was there?

She had wanted to thank him for his efforts, but never had a chance to.

She wondered if it would be awkward to thank him at the moment.

"Oh, they're here too?", Angel said, surprised.

As Easton guided them towards the table, Aria saw Kris munching on something and a boy sitting opposite to her, his back facing them.

She presumed that it was Zayden.

As soon as Kris saw them, she stood up with a bright smile and hugged them both warmly.

"Hey, girls.", she greeted, excited.

Angel and Aria hugged her back, smiling.

She had such a warm aura around her that it made them comfortable in her presence instantly.

As they broke the hug, Angel looked at Zayden with a smile and found him staring at Aria.

"Oh right, you both haven't met before! Anna, this is Zayden, and, Zay, this is Anna. I mean Arianna.", Angel made the introductions.

Aria waved at him, smiling gently.

Zayden walked to her, ignoring others, his eyes slightly dilated in a daze.

He extended his hand for a greeting and Aria awkwardly shook his hand.

"Wow, never knew there was such a beautiful existence on this planet.", he said, a teasing smile lingering on his lips, and gently kissed Aria's knuckles in greeting.

Aria's cheeks heated up and were coated with a twinge of red at his words and actions. She looked away, a shy smile making its way onto her face.

Angel's eyes widened and she looked at Easton with a scrunched nose.

Kris looked at them, amused.

Easton walked to his brother and pulled him back , smiling at Aria apologetically.

"Let's take our seats.", Easton said, looking at the others.

Zayden was going to sit beside Aria, but Easton pulled him back and made him sit adjacent to him, with Angel sitting to the right of Zayden and Easton to the left of him.

Kris sat beside Easton and Aria beside Angel, opposite to Kris.

"So, how's school going?", Kris asked.

"Boring.", Angel replied, scrunching her nose.

"It's really not that bad.", Aria deadpanned.

"You're right. School's interesting.", Zayden said thoughtfully.

Easton and Kris looked at him, raising a brow at his pretense which Zay royally ignored.

"But how do you bear it at school?", Zay asked, looking at Aria.

Aria frowned, not understanding his question.

"With your beauty this extreme, how do you deal with guys staring at you and other girls' jealousy?", Zay asked, an expression of amazement on his face.

Aria smiled nervously and sipped a cup of water.

The guy was not letting the red twinge on her cheeks disappear!

Angel rolled her eyes and so did Kris.

Easton, however, frowned, displeased.

"She does not have to deal with it, Zayden. I won't hesitate to break someone's jaw if they mess with my sister.", Angel said sweetly, looking at him, her eyes clearly indicating who she was referring to.

"It must be so hard to deal with such innumerable admirers.", Zayden teased.

Aria couldn't help the shy smile gracing her lips.

"Zayden.", Easton called calmly, but Zay didn't miss the underlying warning in his brother's tone.

"I'm just getting to know her.", Zay defended himself casually.

"Excuse me, guys, I'll be back in a minute.", Kris excused herself to the restroom, leaving the others to continue their conversation.

On the other hand, Theo and his brothers had reached the mall and from the security assigned to the girls, they found out that the girls were in the food court.

As they spotted the table at which Angel and Aria were seated, their eyes widened at Aria's blushing cheeks and shy smile.

"I told you!", Ash exclaimed, annoyed.

"Call them and ask them to come back home.", Dylan said, displeased.

"I want to break that guy's neck.", Ace said, irritated.

Theo too frowned at the way the guy seemed to be flattering his sister and he didn't want Aria to be swayed by that.

He just couldn't accept his baby sister getting involved with any guy. The mere thought spiked his anger and protectiveness.

However, all four brothers froze in their place when they heard a voice.

"Whose neck do you want to break?", Kris asked from behind them.

Theo clenched his eyes, being caught. She was the last person he wanted to meet when he was already angry.

Dylan and the twins turned around abruptly at a female voice.

They frowned when they realized she was the one who accompanied Easton to Italy when they had sent Angel away.

They realized she was Easton's sister.

Theo too turned around slowly, maintaining his stoic.

"Hey, Mr. Marino, long time no see.", Kris smiled mischievously.

Theo gave her a curt nod.

Kris scoffed internally.

The man had zero sense of manners.

She then looked at Dylan and the twins.

"You must be Dylan. And who among both of you is Ace and who is Ashton?", she asked, confused, looking at the twins.

"Why should we tell you?", Ace asked rudely.

Ace was never a person to be rude without a reason, but he was already annoyed at Aria talking to Zayden, so his reply came out rude.

Kris smiled, knowing well how to deal with them.

"You must be Ashton, then. Your brother described all of you. Ashton is rude, vague, lazy and childish, so-", she was going to continue, but Ash cut her off.

"You told her I'm childish?", Ash asked angrily, looking at Theo.

Theo and Dylan scoffed internally at Ash for falling right into her trap.

"Aha, so you're Ashton. Well, hello, Ashton. Hi, Ace.", Kris said, looking at the twins in order, a victory smirk lingering on her lips.

Ash scowled and Ace couldn't help the faint smile at her tactics.

"So, what are you guys doing here?", Kris asked.

"That's none of your business.", Ash replied rudely.

"Aww, come on now, don't be sour about falling into my trap. I should've gone easy on you kids.", Kris pretended to feel bad, sarcasm clear in her tone.

Ash glared at her and she smiled back sweetly.

"Are you, perhaps, spying on your sisters?", Kris asked casually.

Theo, Dylan and the twins stiffened at that.

"Bullseye!", Kris exclaimed, smirking.

"The best thing you should be doing now is turning back and leaving. I can already imagine how mad your sisters will be if they get to know that her brothers are stalking them.", Kris said, sighing in fake empathy.

Theo clenched his jaw and walked past his brothers, standing right in front of her.

"Are you blackmailing us, Ms. Reece?", Theo asked calmly, raising a brow at her, challenging her audacity.

"I am.", Kris replied, smirking slightly, her eyes challenging his own.

Dylan and the twins raised a brow at the sudden change in the air. It was neither hostile nor friendly. 

"Well, how's the new sofa fitting in your living room, Mr. Marino?", Kris asked, maintaining her gaze.

"How do you know we bought a new sofa for our living room?", Ace asked, surprised.

Theo clenched his jaw.

"We should leave.", Theo said calmly, looking away from the woman.

"No, wait. How does she know -", Ash was going to ask, but Theo looked at them sternly.

"We are leaving now.", Theo said firmly, leaving no room for argument.

Dylan and the twins frowned, but turned around to walk away, knowing well not to disobey Theo when he's taken a firm tone.

As they took a few steps away, Theo turned to Kris and told in a low and firm tone so only she could hear.

"This is not over, Ms. Reece.", Theo said firmly.

"Certainly not.", Kris smirked.

Theo turned around and walked away. That was why he always found the woman annoying. She knew exactly how to rile him up.

He pursed his lips at the thought.

On the other hand, Kris chuckled at how easily the man gets riled up.

She finds riling him up interesting.

Receiving a call from her brother, she walked back to their table, letting the matter of them spying on their sisters slide. It was not her matter to deal with.

The rest of the day at the mall was fun filled.

Easton, Kris, Zayden, Angel and Aria went to the gaming zone and played all the games that caught their eyes, completely ignorant of the stares they were receiving for being noisy.

Zayden didn't leave a chance to tease Aria and crack jokes, making her laugh continuously.

Easton was busy talking to Angelina, listening to her describe what all she had been doing and feeling content at how happy she looked.

Kris was leisurely enjoying the games and food, occasionally entertaining herself by looking at Zay's antics.

The whole day flew by unnoticed with the girls enjoying to their heart's content and it was finally time for them to leave.

"See you.", Angel greeted, hugging Easton, Kris and Zay.

"Be safe and stay away from trouble.", Easton said gently.

"Yes, sir.", Angel gave him a salute.

Easton chuckled lightly, happy that his sister was back to her usual mischievous self.

"See you again.", he greeted Aria, gently ruffling her hair and she smiled back at him softly.

"I'm gonna miss both of you.", Kris complained, hugging Aria.

"We can meet frequently. You live in this city too, right?", Angel asked.

"Yes, we'll meet a whole lot.", Kris replied, determined.

Aria looked at Zayden and he smiled at her awkwardly, now that it was time to depart after having a fun time together.

She walked to him, her back facing the others.

"See you.", she said loudly.

'Thank you', she mouthed quietly, not sure if any of his siblings knew about him contacting her when Angelina was upset.

Zay smirked lightly, looking at her.

"Only words?", he asked mischievously.

Aria laughed lightly.

"Only words.", she said haughtily, making him chuckle.

"What's going on here?", Angel asked, hooking her hand with her sister's.

"Just feeling sad that my eyes have to depart from such wonder.", Zay said, disappointed, referring to Aria.

"Not again.", Angel groaned.

"By the way, you still didn't make it up to me for leaving without even saying a 'bye' last time.", Zay narrowed his eyes at Angel.

Angelina grimaced.

He was really holding it against her.

"I will make it up to you.", she said, smiling nervously.

"You better do.", he said, huffing.

Aria smiled at their banter.

As she had expected, he really was a good guy. All of them were.

They smiled at them one last time and got into the car, driving back home.

After they got into the car and it drove out of the mall, Angel looked at Aria.

"You didn't feel awkward, did you?", she asked.

"Not at all. I enjoyed it so much that I'm completely exhausted.", Aria said, leaning back on the seat.

Mischief sparked in Angelina's blue eyes.

"So, Zayden huh?", she teased, wiggling her brows at her sister.

"What? We were just talking.", Aria replied, her voice defensive.

"Talking? You were laughing so freely.", Angel said with a smirk.

"And", Angel paused, a teasing smile on her face, her eyes glinting brightly.

"Blushing.", she completed, gently flicking Aria's nose.

Aria's jaw dropped and she was going to say something, but stopped, opened her mouth again, but stopped to collect her words.

"I wasn't blushing.", she defended herself.

"You totally were.", Angel teased.

"I was not.", Aria whined, hooking her hand with her sister and placing her head on Angel's shoulder, her hair covering her face.

Angel laughed at her sister's whining, not at all worried as she knew well that Zayden was harmless and that they were too young for anything serious anyway.

After reaching home, the girls were too exhausted to do anything and went to sleep right away.

At night, when Vince returned home, he called his brothers to his study.

Theo and his brothers walked to Vince's home office, wondering if he got to know that they went to the mall.

Vince was calmly waiting for them. When they entered, one look at him and they knew they were in trouble.

"Why did you guys go to the mall today?", Vince asked firmly, straight to the point.

The boys looked at Theo and Theo groaned internally, knowing well he was the one who needed to answer.

"We were just making sure everything was okay.", Theo replied calmly.

"What's everything?", Vince asked, raising a brow, daring them to mince their words.

"We didn't like Angel meeting the Reeces in the first place. Adding on to that, Aria too tagged along and that jerk Zayden was there too. She was blushing, Vince!", Ash complained angrily.

"Firstly, that kid Zayden is just 14. Most importantly, you going to the mall to spy on them implies you don't trust Aria or Lina.", Vince said calmly, looking his brothers straight in the eyes.

Theo looked at him, startled.

"We trust them-", he was saying, but Vince cut him off.

"If you had trusted them enough, you would've let them handle things by themselves. We cannot handle every small issue for them. They have to grow strong and independent too. When the matter is really beyond their power to handle, that's when we meddle.", Vince said firmly.

The boys averted their gaze guiltily.

They knew their brother was right.

Them being too overprotective would only suffocate their sisters.

"Your punishment period is extended to two more weeks. As for you, Theo, you'll make sure they don't break the rules again.", Vince said sternly.

"One last thing. I want Lina and Aria to start learning self defense. I don't want them to be completely helpless if the need ever arises. Ace, I want you to train them. Slowly and patiently.", Vince informed calmly.

"Why Ace?", Theo asked.

"Because you're too busy and Dylan and Ash are impatient.", Vince replied.

Ash and Dylan glared at him, but the glare was completely wasted as Vince didn't bother to glance at them.

"Don't forget your punishment. You do not want to worsen your situation any further.", Vince reminded them sternly, dismissing them.

Theo walked out with a sour face.

His brothers hardly ever stayed out of trouble. They would do something stupid, convince him to handle Vince and Vince in turn scolds him along with them, asking him to keep an eye on them as punishment and it would repeat all over again.

It was a never ending cycle.

Dylan and the twins glared at Theo, accusing him for not getting them off the hook.

Theo gave them a stern gaze back and they walked away, grumbling and muttering under their breath.

The only good news was Aria and Angel were soon going to learn self defense and Theo was eager to assist them in their training.

Days were passing by for the girls very peacefully with no worries or distress.

One evening, while Angelina was trying to paint something and Aria was busy reading a book on anatomy, Angel placed the brush aside, unable to concentrate.

"Anna, what do you think about the scholarship students in our school?", Angel asked casually.

Aria looked at her, shrugging.

"They're hardworking and talented.", she replied.

"Definitely hardworking.", Angel mused.

"Why do you ask?", Aria asked, confused.

"Nothing. There's this guy who's been sharing the science class with us for a week. I found out that he's going to join our school from the coming academic year under a scholarship. Apparently, there's a program to let them attend the school for a week to give them an opportunity to understand our school better. He's been attending our school since last week under that program.", Angel said thoughtfully.

Aria sat up straight, frowning.

She was surprised her sister noticed so much about a guy. 

"He topped the scholarship test, I guess. Seriously, that guy is a workaholic. He also shares the math class with me. He sits on the last bench, adjacent to me. Whenever I look at him, he'd be so busy, reading or solving sums far ahead than what the teacher's teaching in the class.", Angel said, shuddering at the thought of studying science so intensely.

Aria's frown deepened.

"How come you noticed so much about him?", she asked.

"He sits adjacent to me and I couldn't help but notice how hardworking and serious he is. Cherry on the top, he's quite good-looking too.", Angel said, shrugging.

Now, that piqued Aria's interest.

"He's good looking?", she asked, raising a brow, a teasing smile gracing her lips.

Angel rolled her eyes.

"I'm just stating a fact, Anna.", she replied flatly.

"Whatever makes you sleep at night, I guess.", Aria teased, chuckling.

Angel whined, pouting.

"I guess tomorrow's the last day he'd be in school before the next academic year starts.", Angel said, remembering what she had overheard.

"Ooooo", Aria teased, wiggling her brows.

"Annaaaa", Angel whined, plopping on the bed.

"Fine, I won't tease.", Aria chuckled.

The next day in school, Angelina was walking in the school garden as it was her free period.

As she was walking to her usual spot under the corner most tree, she found the scholarship guy sitting there.

His bag was placed beside him, a book in his hand, sitting under the tree, a cool breeze disturbing his silky hair, a few strands falling on his forehead, his face stoic as he was reading with utmost concentration.

She wondered if she should go there or walk away.

Taking a deep breath, she walked to the tree.

As he sensed her presence, he looked up at her, his eyes calm.

"Uh um I usually-", Angelina was saying, but he cut her off calmly.

"You usually sit here to draw in your free hour.", he completed her statement, mischief sprouting in his calm eyes.

Angelina was startled at that.

"How do you-", she was at a loss for words.

"You sit adjacent to me in science and math classes. And you stare at me continuously.", he said gently, mirth underlying in his tone, standing up with his bag over his shoulder and the book in his hand.

Angelina averted her gaze, embarrassed.

"I'm not complaining though.", he stated casually, walking past her.

Heat rushed to Angelina's cheeks at his comment and looked at him, turning around.

"Do you even know who I am?", she asked haughtily to conceal her blush.

"A student at this school. A student with a pair of beautiful ocean blue eyes, I might add.", he replied, shrugging.

Angelina suppressed her smile.

For some reason, Angel didn't want to tell him her surname until he got to know it himself.

He turned halfway around, a faint smirk on his lips, a teasing shine in his eyes.

"See you in the next academic year, blue eyes.", he said, winking at her.

Angelina gasped, her ears and cheeks coated with a deep shade of pink, breathing slightly shallow in surprise, looking at his retreating back in a daze.

She rubbed her cheeks, pouting.

"What was that?", she wondered.

After he walked out of her sight, she looked around and released a relieved breath, seeing no one was there to witness their little interaction.

"Jerk!", she huffed, sitting under the tree.

In the evening, she told everything about the interaction to Aria, sitting on the grass in the garden. 

"He what?", Aria's jaw dropped, listening to her sister.

"Shh! I don't want the boys to listen.", Angel shushed her sister.

Aria bit her tongue and leaned forward.

"He winked at you?", she asked, surprised.

"Yeah. Such a jerk.", Angel huffed.

"A handsome jerk.", Aria teased.

Angel gave her a flat look.

"What? You teased me even more intensely about Zayden.", Aria scowled.

"So, did he call you again?", It was Angel's time to tease.

"No, he didn't and he won't. Stop changing the topic.", Aria deadpanned.

"I'm not. You are.", Angel retorted.

"You're changing the topic.", Aria teased in a sing-song voice.

"No, I'm not. And, no talking about boys.", Angel said, determined.

Aria raised a brow at her, sarcasm swirling in her eyes.

"If you don't stop, I'm gonna call Zay and tell him you want to talk to him.", Angel smirked.

"No way!", Aria huffed, glaring at her sister.

"So, no more teasing about boys.", Angel said.

"Fine.", Aria muttered.

Angel laid down on the grass on her back, closing her eyes in content, a cold breeze caressing her face.

"I feel so happy and light. Everything's finally fallen into place.", she said, smiling softly, looking up at the evening sky.

Aria smiled, looking at the sky, laying beside her sister.

"Can I ask you something?", Aria asked.

"You don't need permission to ask me anything.", Angel deadpanned.

"I want to know about the friend everyone keeps saying you had a few years ago. What happened to her? Why do people say she disappeared?", Aria asked hesitantly.

Angel's smile slightly dropped, but she was fine enough to share it with her sister.

"Irene Craig. She was my first and only friend. Of course, that's until you showed up.", Angel started, chuckling, making Aria smile.

"You know I was kidnapped three years ago, right?", Angel asked.

"Hmm.", Aria replied.

"It was during a sleepover at her house. She was a great friend and her parents were good people too. At least that's what I thought. Irene was really a great friend, but her parents messed everything up. After recovering from the shock of my abduction, Vince told me that Irene's father had accepted money from Romero guy and aided in my abduction. Apparently, their company was in a huge loss and he needed money urgently.", Angel said, disappointment clear in her voice.

Aria frowned.

"How could he do that? You were his daughter's friend. More importantly, you were just a kid.", Aria said angrily.

"I never expected they would do something like that. Before I could recover enough to talk to Irene, Vince had warned them to relocate to another state and they reluctantly did. She didn't come to school after summer break and everyone started assuming it was because of me.", Angel continued calmly.

"That's terrible! It was their fault!", Aria argued, sitting up, agitated.

"It was. I'll never forgive them for that. But, in the case of Irene, I hope we'll meet someday in the future and be civil enough to exchange pleasantries.", Angel said, smiling sadly.

Aria looked at her softly in empathy.

"Is that why you don't want friends?", Aria asked gently.

"What are you talking about? I have the bestest friend with me. That is why I don't need any others.", Angel said, hugging her sister sideways, resting her head on her shoulder.

Aria chuckled, happy at the confession.

"You know, a year ago if someone had told me that I'll get such a great family, I would've laughed at them, but now, I just can't even imagine how life was before you guys.", Aria said, smiling.

Angel gently broke the hug and looked at her sister.

"I got lucky, didn't I?", Aria said, looking at her sister.

Angel shook her head.

"We got lucky, Anna. I got lucky.", she said gently.

"I did have five brothers and three cousins to share my burdens before you, but you are different to me, Anna. The way I share my smallest of issues, complaints and daily happenings, I do that only with you. The bond we share, it's too special to describe in words.", Angel said honestly, looking her sister straight in the eyes, her blue eyes holding a tender gaze.

Aria smiled, tears brimming in her eyes.

"Thank you. Thank you for being the first person to accept me without judgment. As much as I love our brothers, I accept that I wouldn't have been this happy without you. I guess all of us got lucky, huh?", Aria laughed lightly through her moist eyes.

"Yeah, we did.", Angel smiled, wiping a tear that cascaded down Aria's cheek.

"Well, we are lucky too.", Theo's voice startled them.

They turned around and he was standing a few feet behind them, a tender smile lingering on his face.

"What's with all that cheesy talk anyway?", Ash scrunched his nose.

Aria and Angel glared at him.

"You were smiling just until a minute ago.", Ace teased, looking at his twin.

"I was not.", Ash frowned, glaring at his twin for ruining his image.

"Don't start arguing now. Vince loves grounding us.", Dylan said dryly, looking at his eldest brother who was leaning against a tree, gazing at them calmly.

"What're you guys doing here?", Aria asked, annoyed.

"Tomorrow's a weekend, little sister. Do you want us to be busy on a Friday evening too?", Dylan scoffed.

"Coincidentally, Vince and Theo are free today too.", Ace shrugged.

The girls looked at Vince who gave them a faint gentle smile in greeting and they grinned back at him, finally having their brother free after a few long weeks.

"I heard about your fiasco at school.", Vince said calmly, looking at the twins.

Ash and Ace looked at Theo for help and he grimaced being dragged into their mess yet again.

Dylan was leisurely enjoying the show.

"Vince, I'll handle the meeting with the principal.", Theo said, looking at his brother.

"You have to. As for you, boys, your gaming room will be locked for 2 weeks.", Vince stated firmly.

"No way!", they exclaimed in unison, nudging Theo to say something.

Angel and Aria looked at each other, smiling happily, seeing their brothers' ever so constant cycle of getting in trouble.

It had been a long and bumpy ride, but they had emerged out together, vowing to always have each other's backs.

They had faced several trials, learned from their mistakes and built invaluable memories together.

The bonds have gotten stronger, trust unbreakable and love limitless.

It was fate that brought Arianna and Angelina together, but it was their hearts that bound them.

To them, blood was not thicker than water, as it was not blood but pure and selfless love that held them together.

Angelina and Arianna looked at their bickering brothers with an overwhelmingly happy smile, holding each other's hands gently, the cool evening breeze and the orange sky soothing their hearts, a single thought running through their mind, 

They have finally found the answer to their question, 

'What is family?'

~THE END~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

340K 7.1K 52
She's an innocent girl who lived with her alcoholic abusive father. Her life was barley manageable, especially when she was separated from her biolog...
1.8M 49.7K 50
"𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝘄𝗼𝗿𝗹𝗱 𝗳𝗼𝗼𝗹𝘀 𝘂𝘀 𝗶𝗻𝘁𝗼 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗸𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗶𝘁 𝗶𝘀 𝗸𝗶𝗻𝗱 𝗯𝘆 𝗴𝗶𝘃𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘂𝘀 𝗽𝗲𝗼𝗽𝗹𝗲 𝘁𝗼 𝗹𝗼𝘃𝗲, 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗻 𝘁𝗮𝗸𝗲...
153K 4K 29
After being switched at birth, Aria Walker the lost mafia princess daughter of Alexander and Mila Volkov, found herself stolen and replaced in her fa...
33.3K 638 22
Celestine was worried that after 10 years of living in misery in the end there really was no one to save her . At age 15 she was starting to give up...