Book Two: The Larkspur's Long...

By TatteredFindings

(Sequel to The Marigold's Larkspur) Crown Prince Callidus finds himself on the cusp of achieving his dreams... More

Chapter One: Cressida
Chapter Two: Thorns
Chapter Three: Family
Chapter Four: A Child
Chapter Five: Dead men
Chapter Six: Understanding
Chapter Seven: Larkspur
Chapter Eight: The Game
Chapter Nine: Expectations
Chapter Ten: Fragile relations
Chapter Eleven: Storm cloud eyes
Chapter Twelve: Friendship
Chapter Thirteen: Suffocation
Chapter Fourteen: Cocoon
Chapter Fifteen: Liar's dice
Chapter Sixteen: Revelation
Chapter Seventeen: Distraction
Chapter Eighteen: Breakfast
Chapter Nineteen: Risk
Chapter Twenty-one: Winds of Change
Chapter Twenty-two: Boundaries
Chapter Twenty-three: Fool's gold
Chapter Twenty-four: Longing
Chapter Twenty-Five: Window
Chapter Twenty-six: First Impressions
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Surprise
Chapter Twenty-eight: Queens
Chapter Twenty-nine: Betrayal
Chapter Thirty: Nightmares
Chapter Thirty-one: Circumstance
Chapter Thirty-Two: Manipulation
Chapter Thirty-three: Monster
Chapter Thirty-four: Truth
Chapter Thirty-five: Interrogation
Chapter Thirty-six: Honesty
Chapter Thirty-seven: Abandoned
Chapter Thirty-eight: Promises
Chapter Thirty-nine: A normal morning
Chapter Forty: Lions, Lords and Poison
Chapter Forty-one: Gifts
Chapter Forty-two: Game of Control
Chapter Forty-three: Unraveling
Chapter forty-four: Memory

Chapter Twenty: Sacrifice

29 5 18
By TatteredFindings

(TW: Violence, mentions of suicide, forced suicide)

The room stilled, the atmosphere growing tense as Jasper processed the revelation.

Jasper's initial response was an almost instinctual withdrawal, as if he had been physically struck. His usually animated features hardened, his gaze now distant and troubled.

"What did you just say?" Jasper's voice was barely a whisper, his eyes locked onto Callidus's face as if searching for any sign that this was some kind of twisted joke.

"I intend to marry Cressida," Callidus repeated, his tone steady.

Jasper's knuckles turned white as he gripped the arms of his chair, "Cal, you can't be serious," he finally managed to say.

Callidus simply stared at him.

"You can't be serious, Cal," Jasper repeated, "First Ox, now you? I know redheads are irresistible but come on."

Callidus bristled, "I assure you, Jasper, that my intentions to marry Cressida far preceded Ferox's. It was my father who pushed for their marriage."

After several tense seconds Jasper seemed to perk up in realization, "Hey hey, I get it. You want some way to honor your father's wishes and connect with your late brother. I understand that. That makes total sense Cal."

Callidus blinked. That couldn't be further from the truth.

"And hey," Jasper continued, his voice regaining its usual charming tone, "I'm sure you're getting pressure on all sides to get married as soon as possible. You're a new king without much support, right about to start your reign. Marriage to a strong noble house is probably the smartest move you could make right now."

Jasper released the arms of his chair, clasping his hands together in front of his chest, "However, although I hate to knock my own country, Eflia really wouldn't be the best choice for you. I know Ashlar already has strong ties to Meross, but what about my wife's country? Samira has a younger sister and she's fantastic at chess. I feel like you two would really hit it off." Jasper's expression slid into a grin, "And, best part, I'd still get to see you at family gatherings!"

"Jasper," Callidus interjected, his voice firm, "I believe when we first met, I informed you that I do not appease anyone, or let external pressures dictate my decisions. This decision is my own, and my words are straightforward. I intend to marry Cressida."

"Alright. Okay. I think I got you," Jasper said, extending his hands in a placatory manner, "You have your heart set on marrying an Eflian. And I think that's great. I love that. We're great. But my sister isn't the only option. I've got a few cousins, and they're all charming and well-connected. We could find a match that benefits both our kingdoms. Trust me, I've been to enough royal matchmaking parties to know how these things work."

Callidus's patience began to fray as he listened to Jasper's attempts to divert the conversation. Each suggestion felt like a betrayal of his love and devotion for Cressida, and he felt an immediate rush of intense revulsion at the very unfathomable thought of marrying anyone else.

"Jasper, before you offer any more suggestions, let me make it abundantly clear that I have no intention of considering other options or entertaining any alternatives. Cressida is the only one I will marry, or I shall never marry anyone."

Jasper's expression shifted from one of coaxing to one of concern, "...you're gonna be the king, Cal. You kind of have to. Marrying someone and pushing out babies is part of the job."

Callidus's gaze remained steady as he absorbed Jasper's words, his expression unyielding. He leaned forward in his chair, his fingers steepled on his desk, a thoughtful demeanor replacing his initial intensity.

"Jasper, I'm aware of the responsibilities that come with being a king," Callidus replied, his eyes flicking to the surface of his desk, picturing Cressida's intoxicating expression as she looked up at him last night, hooded eyes and parted mouth, "That is why I shall marry Cressida, and we shall create a family together."

(He wasn't certain of the details but given Cressida's enthusiastic response to him last night, he gathered she knew.)

((And if not, he could still steal Varyan.))

"A family," Jasper echoed, his brows shooting up, "...that's rich. Considering you're keeping Cress away from hers."

Callidus's features hardened at Jasper's words, a flicker of irritation crossing his face.

Jasper leaned back in his chair, his hands falling to his sides, as his expression grew somber.

"Listen, Cal. You got to see this from my perspective. You know I came here to free my sister, and now you're saying you want to marry her? Start a family with her? What kind of twisted game are you playing?"

Callidus remained composed, "Jasper, I assure you this is not a game. I understand that this revelation comes as a shock to you, but I need you to believe that my intentions towards Cressida are genuine."

"You've got a crush, Cal. I suspected that from the start but come on. You've got her locked up here! How can you even think that's okay?"

Callidus's eyes narrowed as he met Jasper's gaze head-on, "Jasper, I won't deny that our circumstances have been complicated, but there are reasons behind every decision I've made."

Jasper's frustration was evident as he leaned forward again, his voice tinged with exasperation. "Cal, you're going to be the king in a week. You could have used your power to change those circumstances if you wanted to. Instead, you chose to keep your crush imprisoned."

Callidus's jaw clenched, "I do not appreciate you reducing my feelings to mere child's play. I deeply care for Cressida-"

"If you want me to believe that, then you've got your work cut out for you."

"Why is it so difficult to believe that I care for Cressida?"

"You won't even let me see her! If you really cared about her, you'd let me talk to her. You'd let me take her home. Let me do that and then I'll believe you."

Callidus felt an immediate flash of panic at the thought, and he struggled to maintain his composure as he steadily drummed one of his fingers rapidly on the desk, "Cressida is not returning to Eflia."

Jasper's expression shifted into one of shock, "...what does that mean, Cal?"

"As of right now, Jasper, Ashlar and Eflia are not allied, and bluntly, my people's view of Eflia is quite hostile given our... recent complications."

"Complications," Jasper echoed. "Your brother and father died."

"Complications," Callidus repeated.

Jasper let out a bewildered scoff, "Alright. Complications aside, are you saying you intend to keep Cressida here indefinitely as what? A political prisoner? A...a hostage?"

"Cressida is neither a hostage nor a prisoner."

"Oh, sorry. I guess I just don't know what else to call not being allowed to leave the country."

Callidus's patience wore thin, his tone turning cold as he fixed Jasper with a pointed stare. "Jasper, it's intriguing how quickly you forget your initial excitement about this alliance. You were the one who saw the potential, who believed in the benefits it could bring to Eflia."

"I still believe in the alliance, Cal, but what I can't believe is that you're trying to use my sister as a bargaining chip."

"You spoke of an alliance that could change the course of history for your country. Now you're questioning the steps necessary for you to take to achieve that goal?"

Jasper's anger flared, his voice rising. "My sister's life and happiness are not 'steps,' Cal!"

"Aren't you the one who believes in 'different friends for different ends?'" Callidus retorted sharply. "You were willing to offer your support and charm to sway my advisors, to achieve your ends. Why is it suddenly unacceptable when the same principle is applied to ensure the future of Eflia?"

"There's a big difference between influencing political decisions and deciding someone's fate, Callidus."

Callidus leaned forward, his voice cutting through the air. "Is there really? In the council chamber, decisions are made every day that affect the lives of countless individuals."

"This isn't politics for me, Cal. You're asking me to sacrifice my sister!"

"And what about your nation?"

Jasper scoffed, "You think I don't care about Eflia?"

Callidus's voice remained steely, "I suggest you remember the realities of the world, Jasper. Eflia is a struggling nation facing economic turmoil and the looming threat of more powerful neighbors. Ashlar stands as one of the largest and most influential kingdoms with a strong military and abundant resources. This alliance could save your country from ruin and provide much needed protection."

Jasper's frustration mingled with resignation, his shoulders slumping as he ran a hand through his hair. He took a deep breath, his gaze dropping to the floor for a moment before he looked back at Callidus, his eyes weary but resolute.

"I know the stakes, Cal," he admitted with a sigh, his voice quieter now, "And I won't deny that an alliance with Ashlar would be a lifeline for Eflia. But there are other ways, other alternatives we can explore. Trade agreements, cultural exchanges, joint military efforts, treaties."

Callidus raised an eyebrow.

Jasper continued speaking at a fast pace. "I can understand if you're in a rush to get married, Cal. I had people breathing down my back too. And I can even understand you falling for the first pretty girl you see. But there are plenty of other eligible young women in Eflia, or Meross, or even here in Ashlar! You're a handsome guy, Cal. Soon-to-be king. Tall, dark, and brooding. You'd be catch to any one of them!"

"...but not to Cressida?" Callidus asked, feeling a tinge of irritation, and hurt, "You don't believe the king of Ashlar would be a suitable husband for her?"

Jasper's expression softened into one of pleading, "Come on, Cal. You're missing the point. Cress has been through so much. She doesn't need to be forced into another marriage. She just needs time at home with her family, with her people."

Callidus's irritation simmered beneath the surface, his features hardening, "I am well aware of what Cressida needs, perhaps more than you realize."

Jasper's expression briefly darkened, before he ran another pale hand through his hair. There was a tense silence as his fingers drummed nervously on the armrest of his chair. He leaned back, his gaze now fixed on some distant point beyond the room.

"And what about the rest of my people?" he asked, his voice more subdued, "Are you even planning on releasing them?"

"They are still going to be released in a week. After my Coronation banquet," Callidus responded, his tone even.

"After?" Jasper echoed, "...so after all the shit you put them through, they don't even get to attend your fancy party?"

"You'll understand if I want some...assurance of your behavior at my Coronation."

Jasper's frustration seemed to deepen, his tone taking on a sarcastic edge. "Ah, so is that what Cress is? Assurance? A way to guarantee my compliance?"

Callidus's brows furrowed, "You seem to misunderstand, Jasper. The only compliance I require from you is your full support of my marriage."

"Don't you need my support for the alliance?"

"Jasper, I only want the alliance because I want Cressida."

The room fell into silence as Jasper processed Callidus's words.

Jasper's expression shifted from frustration to a mix of shock, realization, and disappointment. He let out a brief exhale of disbelief, "You're using the entire alliance as leverage to marry my sister?"

"I am simply aligning our interests, Jasper."

"Our interests? You have no interest in an alliance at all, do you?"

Callidus's expression remained cold and calculating, his voice devoid of emotion. "Let's be clear, Jasper. Ashlar stands to gain little from an alliance with a tiny, troubled country like Eflia."

"I've got a whole list of talking points, Cal. Our people have a rich history of magic and art. We have a lot to offer-"

"Your attempts at persuasion are admirable, Jasper," Callidus interrupted, "But the reality remains that the potential gains from an alliance with Eflia are limited compared to the advantages Ashlar already possesses. What Eflia could offer is overshadowed by the risks it presents and the alliance would be solely for the benefit of your nation, not mine."

Jasper's anger was unmistakable now, his voice rising. "And what about the lives of my people? The stability and security that an alliance could provide?"

"Jasper, you seem to be forgetting that Ashlar has its own priorities. Your people's well-being is not my concern. However, your desire for this alliance, your determination to convince your council and garner support, speaks to the value you place on it."

"You're just using us. Using Eflia to get what you want. You're willing to sacrifice our people's future for your own selfish desires."

"My desires may be personal, but they align with Eflia's interests in the grand scheme of things. If you want this alliance, if you want the benefits and protections that come with it, then you must understand that Cressida is the reason."

"So, you'll only agree to an alliance if you can marry Cressida?"

"Yes."

Jasper slammed his hand onto the table as he shouted, "This is bullshit, Cal!"

Callidus's eyes narrowed at Jasper's outburst, his own irritation simmering just beneath the surface. "I recognize your anger, but please refrain my damaging my property."

Jasper's chest heaved as he struggled to regain his composure, his gaze locked onto Callidus's. His voice was laden with bitterness. "Your property? Is that what you see Cressida as?"

"Cressida is my everything," Callidus snarled.

Jasper's lips curled into a bitter smile, "Whoa, that's quite the sentiment, considering you're treating her like you own her."

Callidus's nostrils flared, his voice growing colder, "Cressida is mine, yes. But I am also hers. I have devoted myself to her completely, and we will have a marriage of equal belonging."

"Don't you dare say the word 'equal' as if you haven't been holding her captive for months!" Jasper's voice cracked with anger, his eyes ablaze with fury.

"You oversimplify a complex situation, Jasper."

Jasper scoffed, "Complexity seems to be your favorite excuse, Cal. You hide behind it to justify all your power plays and manipulations."

Callidus's gaze hardened, his tone sharp, "You speak as if I'm the only one capable of manipulation, Jazz."

Jasper's voice dripped with sarcasm, "Ah, yes, because trying to save my country from ruin is the same as manipulating someone to marry me."

Callidus's jaw clenched so tight he felt his teeth grind together as Jasper stared at him in defiance.

"So, what if I refuse, Cal? What if I don't support this alliance by fire?"

"Then I suppose your friend Foster will pay the price of your broken promise."

Jasper's expression darkened, "You're really willing to stoop that low, aren't you? Make me choose between my nation, my sister, and my best friend?"

"You already have," Callidus replied with a steely gaze, his voice like a blade. "Or have you already forgotten our deal?"

"Well, what if I change my mind? What if I decide that I can't go through with this? What happens to Foster then?"

"Foster will face severe punishments for his crime of theft from the king." Callidus said matter-of-factly, before leaning across his desk, "...and don't think for one second, I was fooled by Foster's words. I know he was only in my study on your orders."

Jasper's frustrated expression shifted into one of apprehension and a touch of guilt.

Callidus leaned back in his chair, his fingers steepled together in his lap as he regarded Jasper.

"Know this, Jasper. If my marriage to Cressida can't be achieved on my terms, then I will find another way."

"What? Gonna threaten Eflia like your father did?"

The atmosphere in the room grew even more charged as Jasper's retort hit its mark. Callidus's jaw clenched visibly at the accusation, his controlled demeanor showing signs of strain.

"I would advise you to tread carefully with your accusations. My father's actions are not my own, Jasper."

Jasper's defiance didn't waver as he met Callidus's gaze, "Of course. Your father only threatened the nation. You're doing that and more."

"I am not threatening Eflia," Callidus said through gritted teeth. "My motivations are not driven by the same intent."

"You sure?" Jasper pressed, "From my perspective, this looks like history repeating itself, Your Majesty."

"You know nothing about me, Jasper," Callidus's voice was low and controlled, each word dripping with icy disdain. "To compare me to my father is a grave mistake."

"Cal. Your father was a prime example of what happens when people in power take advantage of those who are vulnerable. How else would you describe this situation?"

Callidus leaned forward, his eyes locked onto Jasper's with an intensity that could freeze fire, "I would advise you to stop talking about my father, Jasper."

"Ooh, a threat!" Jasper exclaimed, "You know who else liked to threaten people?"

"You will find that my threats are far easier to be acted upon," Callidus snarled, the air in the room tightening around him.

"Yeah, I know, Cal," Jasper scoffed, "Who do you think requested a firsthand experience?"

"You truly are a fool, Jasper. Most need only a brief demonstration in order for us to reach an understanding."

Jasper's retort was laced with sarcasm, his voice dripping with bitterness. "Ah, yes, a show of power to ensure obedience. I wonder who taught you that."

Callidus's gaze narrowed as Jasper's words hit their mark. A flicker of vulnerability passed over his hardened features. His voice, however, remained steady and controlled. "My father taught me one thing, Jasper. He taught me the necessity of strength in a world that respects nothing else."

"You don't have to become your father, Cal," Jasper said, his voice softening, "You're not a bad guy, right? You're just...strange and a little emotionally stunted. I'm not gonna pretend to know what your life has been like, but I'm sure it was difficult, right?"

The room seemed to shift around them, the charged atmosphere momentarily ebbing.

"You are correct, Jasper," Callidus admitted, his voice carrying a weight of self-awareness. "My upbringing was far from ordinary."

Jasper's expression remained sympathetic, "I can't even imagine. I mean, Eflia didn't even know you existed until a few years ago. A Magicborne prince of Ashlar. I bet that was horrible."

Callidus's gaze flickered with surprise and curiosity at Jasper's comment.

"But look how far you've come, Cal! You're going to be the king in a week. That's incredible. And not just any king, Cal. A Magicborne king, a symbol of change. You have the chance to do things differently than your father. To be better. I mean, you're already better than him!"

"Am I?" Callidus breathed in both hope and curiosity.

Jasper's voice was gentle as he responded, "Yes, Cal. You are. You've shown that you're willing to listen, to consider different perspectives. You've even let me bully you into playing games with me. You're not a villain, Cal. You're just, uh, interesting."

Callidus's eyes bore into Jasper's, "Interesting?"

Jasper chuckled, "Yeah! You're not like anyone I've ever met before. You've got this air of mystery and intensity about you, but there's also something genuine underneath it all. And, I'm sure Cress would see it too, if you give it some time."

"...does Cressida like people who are 'genuine?'"

"'Sincerity weaves honest threads,' Cal. Cress is drawn to people who are true to themselves, who don't hide behind facades of power or intimidation. If you just give her some room to step back, she'll see you for who you really are."

"Cressida has seen who I really am," Callidus murmured, "...and she asked me to change."

Jasper's grin was warm. "Hey! That's a great sign! That means Cressida cares about you enough to ask for change. That means she sees the potential in you, the possibility of something better."

(Cressida cared about him?)

Callidus's fingers tapped restlessly on the armrest of his chair, his thoughts a whirlwind of uncertainty and hope. "What if I can't change enough? What if she never-"

"There's one real easy way to go about it, Cal. To show her that you've changed and genuinely care about her. You called her your 'everything' right? She's important to you?"

"Yes," Callidus immediately replied, "More than anything."

Jasper's gaze didn't waver, his voice calm but resolute, "Then change."

There was silence as the two men stared at each other.

"...how?" Callidus asked softly.

Jasper leaned in, resting his elbows on his knees, as he spoke in a peaceful, gentle voice, "Let me take Cress home. If you truly care about her, if she's really your 'everything' then you'll let her make her own choices. And if you're meant to be, she'll come back."

Callidus's fingers tightened around the arms of his chair, and the heavy air pressure returned with a vengeance.

"Jasper," he growled, "You are mistaken if you believe I will ever release Cressida. She is not a possession to be discarded at will. She is my purpose, my heart, and my future. I have devoted myself to her, and I will not let her go."

Jasper's sympathetic facade shattered, revealing the frustration beneath, "Come on, Cal. You can't say that shit, and then still keep her locked up against her will!"

"She will not be locked up for much longer. Once we are married, she will have all the freedoms a queen of Ashlar is permitted."

"You're just exchanging one form of captivity for another!"

"I am offering her a life of love, power, and luxury. She will have the ability to shape policies, to influence decisions, and to create a better future for her people."

Callidus paused, piercing Jasper with a purposeful stare, "Isn't that what you told me you wanted, Jasper? To have a powerful advocate in the highest position of Ashlar?"

Jasper's expression grew conflicted as he absorbed Callidus's words. There was a conflicting blend of doubt and consideration in his eyes. He leaned back in his chair, his fingers drumming softly on the armrest as he pondered the situation.

Jasper let out a sigh, his shoulders slumping as he rubbed a hand over his face.

"You're right," Jasper finally admitted, "I did want that. I do want that. But it's just... hard to wrap my head around all of this. This whole situation is so fucked up, and I feel like I'm being pulled in different directions."

Jasper's voice held a note of vulnerability as he continued, his eyes searching Callidus's face for understanding. "Look, Cal, I need to see Cressida. I need to talk to her, to hear from her directly. If she's really okay, like you say she is, then what's the harm in letting me see her?"

"Jasper, I will give you the same answer I have always given you. You will see her at my Coronation banquet."

"See her. Right. Like I 'saw' Ox."

Callidus felt an immediate chill run down his spine and his voice emerged as sudden and sharp as a guillotine.

"What do you mean?"

Jasper blinked before his eyes widened and his hands immediately raised to a defensive position, "...uh, his...casket?"

A swift rush of relief swept over Callidus, and he swallowed thickly, trying to regain his composure, before a sudden jolt of realization struck him like a slap to the face.

Ferox was supposed to resurrect today.

"Cal?"

Callidus clenched his jaw tightly, his eyes darting to the clock on the far side of the study. It was past noon. If Ferox managed to resurrect from his decapitation, he would be alive right this moment.

Callidus forced himself to look back at Jasper, maintaining a mask of control. "Please forgive me, Jasper, but I realized there is something I must attend to."

Jasper let out an incredulous scoff, his eyes widening with disbelief. "Right now? Isn't that remarkably convenient? I ask to see Cress, and suddenly there's this pressing 'matter' you need to attend to."

"Jasper, I understand your frustration, but I assure you, this is not a matter I can postpone."

Callidus rose to his feet, and Jasper jumped up from his chair.

"Cal, we're having a conversation!"

"We will continue this conversation later, but for now I must leave."

Jasper moved to block his path, "No way, Cal. You can't just leave things like this."

Callidus stared at him, his fingers twitching at his sides as he said quietly, "Jasper, you are well aware that I can easily move you out of the way."

Jasper's lips twitched in a half-smile; his defiance undeterred. "Yeah, but it would be rude as fuck."

Callidus felt his temples throb with the mounting pressure.

"Jasper," Callidus warned, "Move. I shall not ask you again."

"You're not asking in the first place, Cal."

"Jasper."

"And what's this super important 'matter' that you suddenly need to attend to?"

"That's none of your concern," Callidus growled.

Jasper's stance remained defiant as he stared down Callidus, his voice tinged with sarcasm, "Oh, come on, Cal. Don't you want to share your every thought and action with me? Isn't that what a healthy relationship is built on?"

"Move, Jasper."

"Oh, that's right. I guess I'd have to marry you to keep you locked in here."

Callidus's patience was wearing thin, his anger flaring anew at Jasper's mocking tone. He took a step forward, his expression darkening, "You are pushing me to my limit, Jasper. Do not test me further."

"Or what, Cal? You'll throw me in a cell next to Cress? That'd be great!"

"Cressida is not in a prison cell."

"Yeah? Well, where is she?"

Callidus's eyes bore into Jasper's, "She is in a safe and comfortable location under my protection."

Jasper's expression shifted from defiance to something more akin to desperation, his voice pleading, "Cal, please, just let me see her. Let me talk to her. I need to know she's okay."

"You will see her at the Coronation banquet. That is my final decision."

Jasper's eyes narrowed, "So, I have to wait until you're king to get five minutes with my sister?"

"The Coronation banquet is less than a week away. You seemed to have no issue with waiting until then before."

"Oh, I've had an issue with it! I've had an issue with all of it, Cal! I've asked to see her since day one! She's my sister!"

"I am well aware that she is your sister," Callidus replied, forcefully calm. "Just as you were well aware of the terms of your stay before you even spent the night at the palace. Your sister is under my protection."

Callidus's eyes darted to the clock. It was well past twelve thirty.

"I have no more time to argue in circles with you, Jasper."

"Arguing in circles? I've been talking to a wall!"

"Jasper, I am asking you to move one last time, or I shall move you out of the way by force."

"Go ahead. Sounds like fun."

Callidus could feel his magic pulsing through his veins, ready to strike, straining against his self-control as he growled, "Jasper, for the sake of our friendship, I would prefer to avoid violence."

Jasper froze, his brows shooting up.

"...our friendship," he echoed.

Callidus hesitated, his eyes flickering with confusion. "Yes, our friendship."

Jasper shook his head incredulously. "You think we're still friends, Cal?"

A startling pang of hurt struck Callidus as he frowned.

"...is arguing not a... step of friendship?"

"Oh, for sure, Cal. But there's arguing and then there's forcefully making someone your brother-in-law."

The air pressed down on Callidus's shoulders, wrapping around him as if to defend him from the unexpected emotions coursing through him. He fixed Jasper with a dark glare, "If you no longer choose to claim me as a friend, then I shall claim you as an enemy."

Jasper's mouth hung open and his eyebrows rose high on his forehead, taken aback by Callidus's severe reaction. "Shit, Cal. Declaring me an enemy just because I'm concerned about my sister? That seems... extreme."

Callidus hesitated.

His voice was quiet as he tentatively asked, "Then we are friends?"

Jasper continued to stare at him, his initial shock slowly transforming into surprise and disbelief. His lips parted, and for a moment, he was speechless. A disbelieving laugh finally escaped his lips, rough and incredulous. He shook his head as if trying to clear his thoughts before pushing out the words, "Yeah, sure Cal. Yeah, we're still friends."

As Callidus's narrowed gaze remained fixed on Jasper, the tense atmosphere around them began to ease. The swirling currents of magic beneath Callidus's surface gradually calmed, and the grip he held on the air loosened. He released a slow, controlled breath, allowing the tension to dissipate.

"...good," Callidus said, his tone carrying a sense of resolution. "Then we shall continue our conversation later."

Jasper's disbelief gave way to an unreadable expression. He folded his arms across his chest, a furrow forming between his brows as he regarded Callidus.

"...time and place?"

Callidus's eyes briefly flicked to the clock.

"12:30 in the Snapdragon sitting room. You'll have 24 hours to decide whether you'll proceed with the alliance or allow your friend to bear the consequences of your choices."

Emotions danced in Jasper's eyes, his lips twitching as if he were on the verge of saying more. Eventually, he let out a sigh, his arms dropping to his sides as he relented.

"Fine, Cal," he said, his tone a blend of frustration and resignation. "I'll see you tomorrow. Noon."

With a gesture, Callidus signaled for Jasper to leave the study. Jasper hesitated for a moment longer, his gaze locked onto Callidus's, as if searching for something in the depths of his expression. Then, with a curt nod, he turned on his heel and walked out of the study, the door closing behind him with a soft click.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was around one when Callidus finally made it to the Royal Tombs. He was immediately greeted with silence, something that continued even as he approached Ferox's casket.

Had it finally worked?

Had decapitation prevented Ferox from resurrecting?

Callidus exhaled as he stood in front of the black granite, before using that sigh to crack open the casket in a way that had become routine.

The lid shifted revealing the dimly lit interior of the casket. Callidus's eyes darted to the figure lying within and felt an immediate surge of shock and annoyance.

Ferox's head, which had been clearly detached yesterday morning, was now firmly attached to his body. His chest rose in shallow breaths, his skin-tinged grey, and his lips chalky in color.

It seemed that, against all odds, Ferox had returned once more. His attempt to end his brother's recurring resurrection had failed. A rush of thoughts and questions raced through Callidus's mind as he stared at Ferox's unconscious form.

Gritting his teeth, Callidus leaned over the casket. "What am I to do with you?" he muttered under his breath, "Do you need to kill yourself in order to die?"

After a moment, he sent a burst of cold air straight to Ferox's face.

"Wake up."

The frigid breeze swept over Ferox's features, ruffling his chestnut curls, and causing a shiver to run through his unconscious body. Callidus watched intently, waiting for any sign of response. His frustration mingled with the complex swirl of emotions that had become all too familiar whenever he dealt with his resurrecting brother.

"I said, wake up," Callidus muttered, his annoyance growing as he continued to watch for signs of awakening. The seconds stretched on, each one adding to his impatience.

Ferox's brows furrowed slightly, a faint twitch of his eyelids the only indication that his unconscious state might be shifting. Slowly, Ferox's eyes fluttered open, revealing a dazed and disoriented gaze. His breaths were shallow, and he seemed to struggle to focus on his surroundings.

"Callidus?" Ferox's voice was barely a whisper, tinged with confusion.

"Yes, Ferox," Callidus replied coolly. "Not that it should be a surprise to you at this point."

Ferox's brows furrowed as he struggled to sit up. "Where were you? I...I came back, but I couldn't breathe-"

"I am going to be the King of Ashlar in a week, Ferox. Do you think I have time to wait around for you to decide to come back to life?"

"You were going to leave me to suffocate...!" Ferox declared, his voice cracking.

"You're fortunate I decided to come check on you at all," Callidus said curtly. "I was in the middle of an important conversation."

"An important conversation? More important than whether I live or die?"

"Don't be so dramatic. You should be used to dying by now."

"You don't understand, Callidus. Every time I wake up in that casket, it's a nightmare. It's...it's torture."

Callidus's features hardened, "You think I don't understand torture?"

Ferox looked up at him in confusion. "What?"

"You might think that dying repeatedly is a special kind of torture," he said, his voice cold. "But at least it has a definite end. You said it felt as if only minutes passed."

Ferox's brow furrowed as he tried to piece together the significance of Callidus's words. "I don't understand..."

"Why do you think we didn't grow up together like most siblings? Why didn't I accompany you to Eflia during the summers? Where was I?"

"Meross," Ferox said, blinking, "You grew up in Meross."

Callidus let out a bitter scoff, his gaze distant, "I have only been to Meross once, and that was during a campaign."

Ferox's confusion deepened, "What are you talking about?"

"You used to play in the courtyard. You had a large red ball, and a stuffed animal of a fox. The same one Varyan has now, isn't it?"

Ferox's mouth popped open, "How...how do you know that?"

"Because I watched you from the window, Ferox. My childhood took place in Windridge tower."

"The Hag's tower?"

Callidus felt a surge of irritation, "You know the unfortunate nickname, do you? Yet you didn't know your own brother was locked away inside?"

"I...I didn't ...Mother told me you were in Meross."

Callidus froze, his features contorted in a mixture of disbelief and anger. "...your mother told you that?" he scoffed, "She told you I was in Meross? She knew about my imprisonment. She knew my mother was the 'Hag' locked away. Her own sister."

"Her sister? Your...your mom was my aunt?" Ferox whispered, his voice filled with astonishment and confusion.

Callidus's eyes narrowed at Ferox's ignorance, his voice dripping with bitterness, "...you truly know nothing, do you?"

"I...I had no idea. I never knew about any of this. Callidus, I swear," Ferox stammered, his eyes wide.

Callidus's gaze remained fixed on his brother.

"Well, now you know," Callidus replied curtly, his tone sharp as he continued to scrutinize his brother's bewildered expression.

Ferox struggled to sit up fully, his movements slow and unsteady. "Why would she keep this from me?" he whispered.

"You're asking questions now that you should have asked long ago. It's not as if you had no inkling of the truth. The whispers, the secrets, the way I was hidden away like a dirty secret. You must have heard me address your mother as my aunt before."

Ferox's brow furrowed in frustration. "Callidus, I didn't even know you existed-"

"Enough," Callidus interrupted, his patience wearing thin. "I did not come here to rehash the past or engage in your futile attempts to explain why you never thought to question my shunned existence."

There was silence throughout the tomb.

Ferox's gaze dropped to the floor, "What do you want, Callidus?"

Callidus took a step closer to the casket, his features cold and impassive. "I want to find a solution to this predicament."

"You mean my life."

"Yes."

Callidus leaned against the granite, his words chillingly practical. "...suppose I remove your head and keep it away from your body?"

Ferox's eyes widened in shock and horror as he stuttered, "What? No! Callidus, you can't be serious."

Callidus's gaze remained fixed on Ferox, his face still devoid of emotion. "It's a potential solution, isn't it? If your magic can't reunite your head with your body, you won't be able to resurrect."

Ferox's voice trembled as he spoke, his disbelief evident. "You're talking about decapitating me, again?"

Callidus's tone was matter-of-fact. "I'm talking about finding a way to prevent your recurring resurrections. If you can't be brought back, you won't pose a threat."

Desperation and fear mingled in Ferox's eyes. "Can't you just let me go? I...I swear I'll run far away from Ashlar. You'll never see me again."

"Running away won't solve the problem, Ferox. I won't risk your reappearance in the future, potentially undoing everything I've worked for."

Ferox's voice cracked, "So, death is the only option you're considering?"

"It's the most direct solution," Callidus replied, his voice cold. "You're too recognizable to be allowed to roam free."

"Can't you...can't you keep me alive somewhere else?"

Callidus's expression remained stoic as he considered Ferox's plea. "You'd rather be imprisoned than dead?"

"I'd rather have a chance at life, even if it means being imprisoned."

"You had your chance at life," Callidus suddenly snarled, his frustration piercing through his words.

Ferox flinched at the sharpness in Callidus's tone, his eyes widening in surprise, "Callidus, please-"

"You wasted your chance, Ferox. You squandered the opportunities you had, the relationships you could have formed. All while I endured years of isolation, chained in that tower!"

"Chained?" Ferox's voice trembled with disbelief.

"It seems I was Father's only child to receive that special treatment."

"Chained?" Ferox repeated again, his face growing grey as he blanched, "Father never mentioned any of this."

"Of course, he wouldn't. You were the heir, the Crown Prince, while I was his concealed weapon, only valuable for eliminating his enemies."

"I...I thought you chose to go on all those campaigns."

Callidus's laughter held a bitter edge. "Oh, did you now? And where did that notion come from?"

Ferox shifted uncomfortably, avoiding Callidus's intense gaze. "I...I just assumed. You were gone all the time. I didn't know, Callidus. I didn't know any of this. Do you really think I would have done nothing had I known?"

Callidus's eyes reflected a complex blend of emotions as he regarded his younger brother. When he spoke, his voice carried a weariness.

"Your mother knew, and she did nothing. The very advisors who serve me now, they all knew and remained silent. Power has a way of stifling dissent."

"...but you have all the power now, Callidus," Ferox whispered.

Callidus leaned over Ferox's casket, his fingers tapping thoughtfully on the black granite, a glint of intention in his eyes.

"You are correct, Ferox," Callidus murmured, "...now what should I do with it?"

Ferox looked up at him in silence, his wide eyes locked onto Callidus. The weighty silence enveloped them, the gravity of Callidus's question filling the tomb. After a prolonged pause, Callidus finally broke the silence, his voice edged with cold calculation.

"You don't want to die. But why should I keep you alive? What benefits could possibly outweigh the risks of you being discovered?"

Ferox's breath caught in his throat, and he struggled to find the right words to address Callidus's chilling inquiry.

"I... I can offer you information," he stammered.

"I'm listening," Callidus replied, his gaze unwavering as he leaned in slightly, his fingers still tapping rhythmically on the granite surface.

Ferox swallowed, his eyes flickering nervously between Callidus and the casket. "I know things, secrets that could be of use to you. Information that could aid you in maintaining your hold on Ashlar and expanding your influence."

"How do I know your information is still good? You've been dead for months."

"The...the Duke of Renton is having an affair."

Callidus's lips curled into a faint, cynical smile. "I knew that, Ferox."

"With...with Marchioness Arwine."

Callidus paused, his brows raising in surprise, "...with Arwine?"

Ferox nodded quickly, his gaze locked on Callidus. "Yes, I swear. And...and I know other things as well about all your advisors. And...and I can find out more."

"What makes you think I couldn't acquire such information on my own?"

Ferox's voice gained a hint of urgency. "Because even you can't be everywhere at once. I...I can be your shadow. I'll stay hidden and...and report to you."

Callidus's interest sharpened, his fingers stilling on the granite. "My shadow?"

"You want to solidify your rule, to eliminate potential threats. I can help you identify those threats before they even come to light. I can be your informant, your eyes, and ears in places you can't be. And...and I'm not afraid to die."

Callidus leaned back slightly, his expression thoughtful. "A tempting offer, Ferox. But I can't have anyone knowing Ashlar's beloved Crown Prince has returned to life."

"I'll remain dead," Ferox quickly said, "I won't interfere with the kingdom. I...I never really wanted to be the king anyway."

Callidus's lips curled into a faint, calculating smile. "So, you'd become my ghost, lingering in the shadows, forever hidden from the world?"

Ferox nodded eagerly, his desperation evident. "Yes, Callidus. No one will know of my existence, and I won't seek any recognition or power."

Callidus leaned in once more, staring intently into Ferox's eyes, as he whispered in a slow, cold hiss, "...I don't believe you."

Ferox's desperation deepened, "Callidus, I understand your doubts, but please, give me a chance to prove myself. Tell me what I need to do to earn your trust. I'm willing to do whatever it takes."

Callidus's gaze remained fixed on Ferox, his expression inscrutable. "Proving loyalty is not a simple task, Ferox. It requires more than just words."

Ferox's eyes were wide with urgency. "Tell me what you need from me, and I'll do it. I'll prove my loyalty through action, not just empty promises."

With deliberate intent, Callidus turned his head towards the empty space where their father's casket once stood, now only remnants gathered neatly in a pile. In a calculated movement, a thick chunk of black stone levitated from the ground, surrounded by a chilling wind.

Before them both, the fragment shifted and reshaped under Callidus's control, morphing into a crude knife with an unnaturally long, sharp edge.

Ferox's voice quivered as he stammered, "What...what is that for?"

Callidus's expression remained enigmatic as he held up the makeshift knife, the blade catching the muted light of the tomb. "This is an inopportune time to potentially initiate this new...arrangement. I cannot afford to be concerned about the risk of betrayal so close to my Coronation."

Ferox warily stared at the knife.

"...so, you're going to kill me again?"

"No, Ferox. You're going to kill yourself."

Ferox's breath caught in his throat, his eyes widening in shock. "What do you mean? Kill myself?"

Callidus's gaze was unyielding as he continued to hold the makeshift knife. "If you're truly committed to proving your loyalty, you'll make the ultimate sacrifice. I want you to take this knife and end your own life. It's the only way to demonstrate that you're willing to follow through on your promises."

"Callidus, I... I want to earn your trust, but this is asking too much."

Callidus's voice was cold, implacable. "Loyalty requires sacrifice, Ferox. If you're not willing to make this sacrifice, then perhaps you're not as committed as you claim to be."

"Callidus, please, there must be another way," Ferox's voice pleaded, his gaze shifting between the knife and Callidus's unyielding stare.

"This is the only way to prove your loyalty to me. If you can't do this, then our conversation ends here."

Ferox's desperation deepened, "And if I do this, if I prove myself, will you truly consider letting me serve you as your shadow?"

"Yes. The choice is yours."

Ferox's gaze shifted to the ground. He took a deep breath before slowly extending his hand towards Callidus, silently asking for the knife. With a slight nod of approval, Callidus placed it in Ferox's palm and stepped back.

Ferox looked at the knife, his hand trembling, before looking back up at Callidus, "...if...If I don't...do it right, can you end it?"

Callidus nodded, his face an impenetrable mask as Ferox closed his eyes and slowly brought the knife closer to his chest. He tensed, his breath held in anticipation, a bead of sweat rolling down his forehead, before finally with a single swift motion, he plunged the blade deep into his chest.

Ferox gasped, shock and pain written across his features as he stared up at Callidus who met his gaze in fascination. He continued watching until eventually the tremors stopped and Ferox's body went limp.

The silence that followed was deafening.

Callidus stepped forward, his eyes wide with awe, as he stared down at Ferox's body, watching as the casket pooled with his brother's blood.

"...now perhaps you'll stay dead," Callidus murmured, a satisfied smile playing on his lips.

In an instant, a cold wind closed the lid of the casket.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

345K 13.1K 64
She was just a maid in the palace. The only reason she worked at the palace was that she was paid handsomely. She took care of the cleaning and scrub...
2.5K 250 33
(Slow burn Yandere adventure) To prevent a war, Princess Cressida is thrust into a perilous union with the crown prince of Ashlar. But her life takes...
34K 630 15
𝐈𝐍 π–π‡πˆπ‚π‡, a boy has an obsession with a girl and is willing to kill anyone who stands in his way. yandere!harry potter x fem!reader [short sto...
87.4K 2K 20
The story of a Crown Prince desperate to stay with his beloved fiancΓ©e and a protagonist that misunderstands him.