Book Two: The Larkspur's Long...

By TatteredFindings

(Sequel to The Marigold's Larkspur) Crown Prince Callidus finds himself on the cusp of achieving his dreams... More

Chapter One: Cressida
Chapter Two: Thorns
Chapter Three: Family
Chapter Four: A Child
Chapter Five: Dead men
Chapter Six: Understanding
Chapter Seven: Larkspur
Chapter Eight: The Game
Chapter Nine: Expectations
Chapter Ten: Fragile relations
Chapter Eleven: Storm cloud eyes
Chapter Twelve: Friendship
Chapter Thirteen: Suffocation
Chapter Fourteen: Cocoon
Chapter Fifteen: Liar's dice
Chapter Sixteen: Revelation
Chapter Seventeen: Distraction
Chapter Eighteen: Breakfast
Chapter Twenty: Sacrifice
Chapter Twenty-one: Winds of Change
Chapter Twenty-two: Boundaries
Chapter Twenty-three: Fool's gold
Chapter Twenty-four: Longing
Chapter Twenty-Five: Window
Chapter Twenty-six: First Impressions
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Surprise
Chapter Twenty-eight: Queens
Chapter Twenty-nine: Betrayal
Chapter Thirty: Nightmares
Chapter Thirty-one: Circumstance
Chapter Thirty-Two: Manipulation
Chapter Thirty-three: Monster
Chapter Thirty-four: Truth
Chapter Thirty-five: Interrogation
Chapter Thirty-six: Honesty
Chapter Thirty-seven: Abandoned
Chapter Thirty-eight: Promises
Chapter Thirty-nine: A normal morning
Chapter Forty: Lions, Lords and Poison
Chapter Forty-one: Gifts
Chapter Forty-two: Game of Control
Chapter Forty-three: Unraveling
Chapter forty-four: Memory

Chapter Nineteen: Risk

26 5 9
By TatteredFindings

Jasper's gaze shifted from Foster to Callidus, a strained silence hanging in the air. Then, in a controlled tone, he responded, "What's a game of dice without a little risk?"

The response hung in the air, laden with layers of meaning. Callidus's eyes, sharp and assessing, bore into Jasper, searching for the unspoken intentions behind his words. Arden looked between the three men with a wide-eyed expression of confusion and concern. Lady Hale's face was lined with worry, her brows furrowed and jaw tight.

Callidus's lips curled into a subtle smile, "A game, indeed. And like any game, you were well aware of the rules before you began to play."

Callidus's gaze shifted back to Foster, his eyes narrowing. "Jasper," he said, addressing the red-headed prince without looking at him, "did you truly think you could send your men to sneak around in my study without consequences?"

Before Jasper could respond, Foster's voice suddenly emerged in a strained rasp, "He didn't."

Callidus stared at the man. "No?"

Jasper, unable to stay on the periphery any longer, stepped into the room, his voice filled with concern, "Foster, hey-"

Foster's gaze held steady, meeting Callidus's with a determined intensity. "Jazz didn't send me," he stated firmly, "I acted on my own."

"Did you now?" Callidus's response was quiet but laced with skepticism. "And let's see what information you were so keen to gather for yourself." In an instant, a swift breeze shot up to the high shelf above them, retrieving the documents that Foster had been clutching in his hand the previous night.

The unexpected rush of air made Foster flinch involuntarily, his hand instinctively rising to his reddening neck. (Arden no longer flinched, a realization that pleased Callidus.)

Callidus's fingers deftly plucked the retrieved documents from the air, his gaze leaving Foster's unsettled expression to quickly scan the papers. "These documents," Callidus began, his voice a cool, calculated cadence, "they pertain to matters of trade routes and border security. Not the sort of information one collects out of idle curiosity."

Foster's jaw tightened, "My family are merchants," he said firmly, "That information is important to me."

Callidus's lips curled into a faint, mirthless smile. "What good does that information do in the hands of a guard?" His gaze shifted briefly to Jasper before returning to Foster. "But that information would be priceless for, say, a prince who was holding court this morning with my head of foreign trade, and the duke in charge of Eflia's border."

Foster's expression flickered, and his brown eyes locked with Jasper's. They seemed to hold a silent conversation, Jasper's face pleading while Foster shook his head nearly imperceptibly, until Jasper's shoulders slumped in resignation.

"...Foster acted on his own, Your Highness," Jasper said, his tone subdued and quiet, "I had no idea he was planning on entering your study."

Callidus arched an eyebrow, his skepticism lingering beneath his controlled facade. He let a moment of silence hang in the air before responding, his voice neutral, "Is that so?" He turned his gaze to Foster, a cool detachment in his eyes. "Quite a risk to take without any kind of assurance or direction."

Jasper's gaze remained on the floor for a moment before he looked up, his eyes filled with desperation. "Please, Cal, I know it was foolish, but Foster's intentions weren't malicious."

"You're a prince, Jasper," Callidus reminded him, "You should know the severity of breaking into a king's private chambers, regardless of intentions."

Jasper's frustration was palpable as he ran a hand through his hair. "Come on, Cal, he didn't piss in your bed. He just looked at some papers."

Callidus's cold expression remained unchanged, "And those papers happen to concern matters of trade routes and border security, topics that are sensitive and crucial to the kingdom's stability. You're well aware that the punishment for such an act can range from life imprisonment to death."

Jasper swallowed thickly, his eyes darting from Foster to Lady Hale before responding carefully, "I know, Cal. I understand the seriousness of it all. But Foster, he's not some spy or assassin. And he's hurt-"

"He may not be a spy or assassin, but he is certainly a thief. My study door was securely locked, and yet he gained entry."

"Foster's always been talented at getting into places he doesn't belong. That doesn't make him a thief. That makes him a...a rat."

"Such a glowing endorsement," Callidus said dryly.

Jasper winced, "Come on, Cal."

"And what do you think the rat's punishment should be? How would you react if you discovered an intruder in your private study?"

Jasper hesitated for a moment, his brows furrowing as he considered the question. "Well, to be honest, I'd be impressed and probably offer them a drink," he attempted a small, half-hearted grin.

Callidus's lips twitched with a shadow of a smile. "How kind of you, Jasper." His tone, however, remained frosty. "But as you already know, we are two very different people, and I value my privacy."

His eyes flicked to Foster, who flinched from the intensity of his stare. The discomfort in Foster's expression was evident, and Callidus wondered if he was recalling the private scene he had inadvertently witnessed between Callidus and Cressida the previous night.

"Arden." Callidus's voice snapped with authority, and Arden immediately straightened, his concerned expression morphing into one of professionalism.

"Yes, Your Highness!"

"Summon the guards," Callidus commanded. "They are to escort Foster to an isolated cell in the dungeon to await severe punishment."

Arden nodded and turned to leave, but before he could take more than a step, Jasper's voice rose in protest, "Wait, Cal! Please!"

Callidus held up a hand, signaling for Arden to halt. "Jasper," Callidus began, "The severity of his punishment is a matter of law and precedent."

"But you have the power to influence that decision," he argued.

Callidus's expression remained composed, his eyes fixed on Jasper's. "I do have influence, yes," he acknowledged, his voice measured. "But I must also uphold order within my kingdom."

Jasper's grey eyes bore into Callidus's, "I know you can show mercy if you choose to, Cal. As of right now, the only people aware of Foster's intrusion into your study are you, me, Hale, and Arden."

"I find it hard to believe that you failed to inform your other 'friends.'"

Jasper extended his hands, palms up in a defensive gesture, "I swear, Cal. No one else knows. In all honesty, I didn't want to worry them."

"Then what are you suggesting, Jasper?"

"I'm suggesting that we handle this discreetly. There's no need for anyone else to know about this, as long as you can find it in yourself to forgive him."

"Jasper," Callidus's voice hardened, "you ask me to extend mercy, to show leniency. But why should I? What do I gain from it?"

Jasper's gaze searched Callidus's, his desperation giving way to a realization. "What do you want?" he murmured; his voice barely audible.

A calculating gleam entered Callidus's eyes, and for a moment, the room seemed to shift as a new possibility hung in the balance.

"What do I want?" Callidus repeated, his voice taking on a contemplative tone. "In this situation, Jasper, what could possibly motivate me to show mercy to a rat who broke into my study and had unfiltered access to all of my private documents for hours?"

"You tell me, Cal."

The study was quiet as the two men locked eyes.

Finally, Callidus broke the silence, his voice calm and measured. "If I were to consider leniency, I would need something of equal value in return."

Jasper's brow furrowed, his mouth curving into a tense smile, "I can offer you a private snoop around my study if you're ever in Eflia."

"Tempting. But not quite."

"I'm...I'm not a very wealthy prince, but I can try to scrape together something."

"I don't need money, Jasper," Callidus said coolly. He glanced at Foster, who was watching the exchange with wide worried eyes. "You said this man has been a close friend of yours since childhood? I would assume that he means a great deal to you."

Jasper's expression shifted into apprehension, his tone solemn, "Come on Cal, you clearly have something in mind. Whatever you want, just name it. If it's something I can do, I promise I'll deliver."

Callidus's lips curved into a faint, thoughtful smile. "Jasper, what if I asked for your support in a matter that's caused contention amongst my advisors?"

Jasper raised an eyebrow, intrigued. "Court politics? Consider it done. Just tell me the issue, and I'll rally support."

"Ah, but it's not just about rallying support," Callidus mused. "I need you to actively champion this cause. To use your influence, your charisma, to persuade those who might be against it."

Jasper nodded thoughtfully. "You want me to sway hearts and minds to your side?"

"Exactly."

"And, uh, what is your 'side' exactly? I'm not interested in talking people into war."

"Nothing that would compromise your morality, Jasper," Callidus said calmly, "There's an alliance I've been trying to pursue that several of my advisors seem hesitant about supporting."

Jasper's eyes brightened, "I can do that! I'm pretty good at persuading people."

Callidus's gaze remained steady. "Even individuals as stubborn as Duke Leland?"

Jasper's nodded confidently, "Duke Leland? He's easy to convince. Big family man. Likes anyone who reminds him of his son."

Callidus tilted his head, narrowing his eyes, "You've done your research on each of my advisors, haven't you?"

Jasper's confident smile turned sheepish, "I like to think of it as 'weaponized empathy,' Cal." His expression grew more serious as he met Callidus's gaze. "But if I help you convince your advisors of this alliance, will you really sweep this whole thing under the rug?"

"I shall keep Foster's transgressions against me between the five of us," Callidus replied carefully, "But know that I do not forgive or forget as a rule."

Jasper's eyes remained locked onto Callidus's, assessing the sincerity behind his words. After a moment, he nodded slowly, the gravity of the situation settling in.

"I appreciate your willingness to keep this discreet," Jasper said, his tone earnest. "And you have my word."

"And you have mine."

Callidus briefly looked down at his hand before extending it towards Jasper - a gesture he'd never initiated but knew usually accompanied such declarations. Jasper grasped Callidus's hand, their firm grip sealing the agreement.

"I release Foster into your custody," Callidus said decisively. "Make sure he stays there."

A sense of relief seemed to permeate the room as the agreement settled between them. Jasper's demeanor softened with gratitude, and surprisingly, he used their handshake to lean in close, clapping his other hand around Callidus's back.

(A hug?)

"Thank you, my friend," Jasper lingered momentarily before he withdrew, his expression sincere. "I knew I believed in you for a reason."

A brief, nearly imperceptible smile flickered on Callidus's lips before he regained his composure. "I trust that you'll uphold your end of the bargain, Jasper."

Jasper's grey eyes held Callidus's in a meaningful exchange, before he offered a crinkled smile. "You have my word, Cal."

With that, Jasper turned to Foster, who was still absorbing the events that had transpired. The red-headed prince placed a hand on Foster's shoulder, offering a reassuring squeeze. "Hey, it's going to be alright," Jasper's voice was gentle, comforting.

Foster's eyes were still wide with anxiety, his breath uneven. "I'm sorry, Jasp," he muttered, his voice strained. "I didn't mean to make you-"

Jasper shook his head, a small smile tugging at his lips. "Hey, hey you're fine now. It's fine."

Callidus's gaze shifted between the two men, noticing the unspoken understanding that seemed to pass between them. Their bond was clearly deep-rooted, forged through years of shared experiences. Lady Hale quickly joined them, her voice inaudible as she murmured something soothing to both of them.

Inexplicably, a pang of envy gripped Callidus, an emotion unwelcome and unexpected. He discreetly stepped away, allowing them a sliver of privacy to navigate their emotions.

He found himself outside the study joined by Arden, who had been standing at a respectful distance, awaiting further orders. A few moments passed as Callidus and Arden stood outside the study, both lost in their thoughts. Finally, Arden cleared his throat, breaking the silence.

"Your Highness," Arden began, his tone carefully respectful, "If I may..."

Callidus's attention shifted to Arden, granting permission to continue.

Arden hesitated briefly; his words chosen with care. "I wanna convey my admiration for how you managed that situation."

"I did what I deemed appropriate," Callidus replied simply, his tone neutral, "And as you're aware, my choices rarely hinge on mercy."

"I know, Your Highness. I just, well, I thought it was nice."

Callidus regarded Arden for a moment, "Do not mistake my actions for altruism. I benefit far more from gaining Jasper's assistance than another Eflian in a prison cell."

"Of course, Your Highness."

"And I do not find you blameless in this situation," Callidus warned, "A man slipped into my locked study, and I believe I tasked you with marking their movements."

Arden's expression shifted into shame, "I'm sorry, Your Highness. I should have been more vigilant."

"Learn from this, Arden," Callidus's tone softened slightly, "Our positions demand unwavering attention to detail."

Arden met Callidus's gaze with a small sincere smile. "I'll do better, Your Highness, I will not allow such an oversight to happen again."

Just then, Jasper emerged from the study, peeking his head out of the door frame. "Hey, Cal," Jasper's voice was gentle as he addressed Callidus, "Just making sure. It's alright if Hale takes Foster back to his quarters, right?"

"Of course," Callidus said evenly, "He's simply a guest of Ashlar."

Jasper visibly relaxed, his shoulders sagging with relief. He turned his head back into the study, murmuring something to his companions. After a moment, Lady Hale and Foster emerged, Foster making hesitant eye-contact with the future king of Ashlar.

"...thank you, Your Majesty," Foster said, immediately, "And, um, I...apologize for...watchi-"

"You shall hold your tongue," Callidus sharply warned, "Or I shall remove it."

Jasper quickly interjected, "Hale-storm, can you escort him, please?"

"Of course, Jazz," Lady Hale replied, hastily shooing Foster down the hallway and away from the situation.

Callidus observed as Lady Hale led Foster away, his departure marked by a sense of unease that still lingered in the air. Jasper remained in the doorway, his eyes focused on the retreating figures, his expression a blend of concern, relief, and clear lingering anxiety.

"Come, Jasper," Callidus finally spoke, gesturing towards the study, "There's much to discuss. Arden you are dismissed."

Arden quickly bowed as Callidus passed by him. Jasper swiftly stepped aside, making room for Callidus to enter the room. "Of course, Cal," Jasper said, "Straight to business. You mentioned facing resistance from your advisors regarding this alliance."

Callidus headed into the study, and with several gusts of wind, the room was swiftly reorganized to his perfect standards. Jasper warily watched as papers arranged themselves neatly, and Foster's bloodstain was forcefully swept from the floor.

"Indeed," Callidus murmured, gesturing for Jasper to take a seat, "the idea has been met with varying degrees of support within my council."

Jasper's eyes narrowed with suspicion as he uneasily took a seat in the place where Foster had been, his guard clearly up. "Alright. Well, which country?"

Callidus settled into the chair behind his desk, his thoughts momentarily drifting to the passionate exchange he had shared with Cressida the previous night. He refocused on the matter at hand.

"Eflia."

Jasper stared at Callidus for what felt like an eternity, his expression a mix of disbelief and uncertainty. Then, his features transformed, and he erupted into a wide grin, leaning back in his chair as if a weight had been lifted off his shoulders.

"Fuck, Cal! You crazy lunatic! You really got me going there! I was worried I made some sort of deal I'd regret for the rest of my life! You damn dramatic mad man!"

Caught off guard by Jasper's insults and the sheer delight radiating from him, Callidus blinked, taken aback by the unexpected turn of events.

Jasper's excitement was palpable, his words spilling out in a rush. "I mean, a formal alliance with Ashlar? You have no idea how many times I've tried to bring up this topic in council meetings. Even before that mess with Cress and Ox! My mother always brushed it aside, saying it was too risky, too complicated. But I believed in it. But after Ox's death, I threw those dreams aside, yet here you are, proposing it and sparing the life of my best friend. Am I dreaming?"

Jasper's energy seemed boundless as he bounced in his chair, a grin still plastered on his face, "Convincing your advisors will be simple. I've already been slowly buttering them up. Now that I know we're on the same side, Cal, this will be so much easier."

Callidus's lips curved into a small, appreciative smile as he listened to Jasper's confident words. "Your enthusiasm is reassuring, Jasper. Your support in this matter means a great deal to me."

Jasper's grin remained, "You've got it, Cal. I'll rally the council members, have private chats, host lavish dinners if I have to. They won't stand a chance against my persuasive charm. Together, we'll make this happen, Cal. An alliance between Ashlar and Eflia that will change the course of history."

Callidus maintained his composed expression as he observed Jasper's excitement. However, his thoughts were already transitioning to the more delicate and challenging part of the conversation that lay ahead.

"Jasper," Callidus began, his tone shifting to a more serious note, "I'm pleased to see your dedication to this alliance. However, there's a facet to our agreement that I haven't revealed yet."

Jasper's eyebrows furrowed slightly, his expression curious but still eager. "Well, go on."

Callidus leaned forward, his gaze fixed on Jasper's grey eyes. "Jasper, this alliance I propose isn't just a matter of trade agreements and mutual defense. It's an alliance that would bind our two nations even closer together."

"What are you getting at, Cal?"

"It's an alliance that I intend to solidify through marriage."

Jasper's excited demeanor froze in an instant, his eager smile fading into one of clear tension. Concern flickered in his eyes as he processed Callidus's words.

"...I'm flattered, Cal, but I'm a happily married man," he replied, attempting to maintain a touch of humor in his voice.

The silence stretched as Callidus held Jasper's gaze, his eyes unwavering.

Finally, he spoke, his tone steady, breaking the silence with a declaration that resonated throughout the room.

"Jasper, I intend to marry Cressida."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.5K 139 10
⇢ 𝒚- 𝒙 𝒇𝒆𝒎𝒂𝒍𝒆 𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒅𝒆𝒓 𝙁𝙞𝙫𝙚 𝙍𝙤𝙮𝙖𝙡𝙨 𝙀𝙣𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙣𝙩𝙚𝙙 𝙗𝙮 𝙊𝙣𝙚 𝙂𝙞𝙧𝙡'𝙨 𝙇𝙤𝙫𝙚 𝘞𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘪𝘧 𝘪𝘵 𝘪𝘴𝘯'𝘵 '❛ 𝙇𝙤𝙫...
29.8K 1.6K 52
(Y/n) couldn't be happier. Ever since she could remember her biggest dream had been to become a Prima Ballerina, and now entering Bellemont Ballet A...
6K 119 24
Years have flown by since the explosive events of Phoenix Drop High. Now as a young woman who's past no longer haunts her, you were ready for a chang...
160 8 4
After two weeks in Spain and Italy, you and your friend were going to finish off your trip to Europe with a visit in rural France before heading back...