Book Two: The Larkspur's Long...

Por TatteredFindings

(Sequel to The Marigold's Larkspur) Crown Prince Callidus finds himself on the cusp of achieving his dreams... Más

Chapter One: Cressida
Chapter Two: Thorns
Chapter Three: Family
Chapter Four: A Child
Chapter Five: Dead men
Chapter Six: Understanding
Chapter Seven: Larkspur
Chapter Eight: The Game
Chapter Nine: Expectations
Chapter Eleven: Storm cloud eyes
Chapter Twelve: Friendship
Chapter Thirteen: Suffocation
Chapter Fourteen: Cocoon
Chapter Fifteen: Liar's dice
Chapter Sixteen: Revelation
Chapter Seventeen: Distraction
Chapter Eighteen: Breakfast
Chapter Nineteen: Risk
Chapter Twenty: Sacrifice
Chapter Twenty-one: Winds of Change
Chapter Twenty-two: Boundaries
Chapter Twenty-three: Fool's gold
Chapter Twenty-four: Longing
Chapter Twenty-Five: Window
Chapter Twenty-six: First Impressions
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Surprise
Chapter Twenty-eight: Queens
Chapter Twenty-nine: Betrayal
Chapter Thirty: Nightmares
Chapter Thirty-one: Circumstance
Chapter Thirty-Two: Manipulation
Chapter Thirty-three: Monster
Chapter Thirty-four: Truth
Chapter Thirty-five: Interrogation
Chapter Thirty-six: Honesty
Chapter Thirty-seven: Abandoned
Chapter Thirty-eight: Promises
Chapter Thirty-nine: A normal morning
Chapter Forty: Lions, Lords and Poison
Chapter Forty-one: Gifts
Chapter Forty-two: Game of Control
Chapter Forty-three: Unraveling
Chapter forty-four: Memory

Chapter Ten: Fragile relations

26 3 15
Por TatteredFindings

The atmosphere in the Great Hall was tense as Callidus observed his advisors engrossed in fervent discussions, barely pausing for breath. "We must handle this situation with utmost caution," urged the Duke of Renton, Duke Donovan. "Protecting Ashlar's security and sovereignty are vital, but we must also avoid escalating tensions with Eflia."

"Tensions have already escalated, Donovan," Marchioness Arwine immediately countered, while the Duke of Torne muttered under his breath about Eflia's minimal threat. "The Eflians have disregarded proper diplomatic channels by not informing us of their arrival." She continued, "It's clear they found an alternate route to bypass our border defenses and avoid interception. Their intentions remain uncertain, and we must be prepared for any scenario."

"But that raises concerns about the effectiveness of our borders," the Duke of Torne, Duke Leland interjected, now voicing his thoughts aloud. "We cannot afford to have potential threats slipping through unnoticed. This hostile action towards Ashlar demands that-"

"We will address the matter of border security separately," Callidus interrupted, his jaw clenched, "but for now, we must focus on the immediate issue at hand."

"His Highness is correct," Duke Donovan said, "We need to know who is arriving with the delegation, and whether they are truly representing the interests of their nation or if they are independent actors carrying Eflia's flag."

"We must also consider this might be an attempt to negotiate for the release of the thirty-one people we have in our hold," Countess Fenella pointed out. "Including, of course, the Scholar of Magic, and, ah..."

The countess paused after Duke Donovan sent her a meaningful glance. Callidus felt a fleeting sense of satisfaction, knowing that his conversation yesterday with the duke about his intentions for Cressida had likely spread to the other nobles.

He wondered if he should announce their engagement. While he had initially planned for a grand romantic declaration at his Coronation banquet, the urgency to have Cressida by his side became more compelling.

(He longed to see her play the part of the loving fiancée.)

((Since she likely wouldn't feel comfortable rejecting him so publicly.))

"Your Highness," The Duchess of Renton, Duchess Alria quietly spoke up, sensing the moment of silence, "What do you want to do regarding the captives while the Eflian delegation is here?"

"They will remain where they are," Callidus replied firmly. "Their captivity will serve as crucial leverage over the delegates. We shall station a contingent of guards to closely monitor them. Any suspicious behavior or attempts to communicate with the Eflians will be reported immediately."

"Your Highness," commented Duke Donovan, "If the Eflians are indeed seeking to secure the release of the captives, including the Grand Scholar-"

Duke Leland interrupted, "We should expect heavy resistance to the fact that we are keeping him indefinitely in our custody. It is likely that the scholar holds valuable knowledge or secrets that the Eflians are keen to protect."

"Quail Walerian is an Ashlarian citizen," Callidus responded curtly. "They have no jurisdiction in this kingdom and no right to dictate what happens to him on our soil."

Several of the nobles nodded in agreement, and the countess spoke up, "Your Highness, do you think this is a possible move on their part to disrupt your Coronation banquet?"

"How?" Duke Leland rather rudely interjected, "It's a thirty-day journey. This delegation likely has been heading to the capital since they received word of our late king's passing and their people's imprisonment. It's a clear hostile action on their part, and we never should have considered sending Eflia an invitation to the coronation in the first place."

Callidus leaned back in his chair, contemplating the different angles of the situation.

"I agree this appears to be a premeditated move on their part," Callidus finally responded, his tone measured. "We should have better anticipated their response to our actions regarding their citizens in our custody."

The Great Hall remained tense as the discussions among the advisors continued. The Duke of Torne displayed a clear anti-Eflian sentiment, suspicious of their intentions, while the Duke of Renton urged a cautious approach to the delicate diplomatic situation.

As the nobles debated, Callidus's mind wandered, and he found himself reminiscing about his past. He recalled how he used to spy on his father's meetings from the servant's corridor nearby, peering through the cracks in the wood to learn about politics and diplomatic relations. He wondered if that spot was still boarded up and if the servants still believed it to be haunted. Playing 'pranks' on the unsuspecting people who attempted to use that particular corridor had always been a rare source of fun for him.

Despite Callidus's deep-seated hatred for his father, a part of him had always been curious to learn more about the man who wielded such power and influence. He wanted to understand how his father could silence someone with a mere glance and effortlessly sway people to his side with mere words.

Now, the dynamics had shifted, and Callidus found himself leading the meetings instead of observing from the shadows. The advisors remained the same, but he was now the one making the decisions, navigating the intricate webs of diplomacy and politics that he had once sought to comprehend from afar.

"Your Highness!"

All eyes turned to a young man who rushed into the room through the grand archway, instantly capturing everyone's attention. His appearance was disheveled, and he seemed slightly breathless from his hurried entrance. What drew even more stares was his bandaged right shoulder, the rest of the arm missing.

Arden's presence in the hall was met with whispered murmurs. Many of the nobles had never seen him without his armor, and the sight of him sent a clear jolt of fear and unease throughout the hall.

As Callidus stood up from his seat, the entire room's attention shifted towards him, and a hushed silence fell over the hall. Meanwhile, Arden approached the center of the grand hall and gracefully dipped into a formal bow.

"Arden," Callidus addressed him, "Rise and speak."

Arden straightened up, taking a moment to catch his breath before addressing the gathered nobles. His gaze briefly flickered across the room before settling respectfully just below Callidus's eyes. "Your Highness," he began, "the Eflian delegation has arrived, and are currently being detained at the city gates as you ordered."

The revelation piqued the curiosity and concern of the assembled nobles, who eagerly awaited further details. "What of their numbers?" Callidus pressed, "How many guards do they have?"

Arden hesitated, "A surprising few, Your Highness. The delegation consists of just seven individuals. Five guards."

The news prompted a shockwave of surprise to sweep through the hall. Countess Fenella raised an eyebrow skeptically, "Seven? That seems unusually low for a diplomatic mission. And five guards aren't enough to ensure their safety from common bandits, let alone engage in meaningful negotiations."

Duke Leland frowned sharply, "It's possible they have hidden their main force elsewhere, ready to strike if needed."

"Alternatively, it could explain how they managed to remain undetected for so long," Marchioness Arwine chimed in. "Traveling with a group similar in size to an average family crossing Ashlar would not draw much attention."

Duke Leland leaned in with a grave expression, "And let us not forget the talented nature of Eflia and its population. Their delegation's small size might be deceiving if each individual is skilled in such ways. It could also explain their confidence in navigating our borders undetected. Their abilities might have allowed them to bypass our defenses."

His words were met with visible discomfort from the other nobles, who shifted uneasily in their seats. As the nobles contemplated the implications of the small delegation, Arden interrupted hesitantly, drawing their attention once again. "Your Highness, there is something crucial that you need to hear."

"Then speak," Callidus commanded, his expression intent.

Arden stood straighter, revealing, "The delegation is led by someone who claims to be the Crown Prince of Eflia."

Murmurs erupted in the hall at the revelation, and Callidus's expression darkened with surprise and displeasure. "The Crown Prince?" he echoed, his thoughts immediately going to Cressida.

(Her brother? In Ashlar?)

The other nobles in the hall expressed their own astonishment. Duke Donovan shook his head in disbelief, "That's quite a bold claim," he remarked, "If he truly is the Crown Prince, we must proceed with extreme caution. This changes the dynamics of the situation significantly."

"Or it could be a ruse," Duke Leland added skeptically. "An imposter trying to deceive us for some unknown agenda. After all, such a high-ranking individual coming with minimal guards is highly unusual, even for a covert mission."

Callidus maintained his composure despite his tightly clenched jaw and asked Arden, "Did you personally hear this claim from the leader of the delegation?"

Arden nodded solemnly, "Yes, Your Highness. He introduced himself as Crown Prince Jasper and bares a strong resemblance to Her Highness, Princess Cressida."

"What? Sickly pale with red hair?" Duke Leland commented with a harsh tone. "That is hardly proof of royalty."

Callidus glanced at the duke, his eyes narrowing at the disrespect. He felt the air settle closer to him, clinging to his body, but he pushed it up towards the ceiling as he urgently addressed Arden, "Did the man have any evidence to support his claims?"

Arden nodded, "Yes, Your Highness. He possessed a signet ring bearing the royal seal of Eflia. It appeared authentic, and the crest matched the description of the royal seal that we have in our records. His appearance also closely matched the description of Prince Jasper from previous diplomatic meetings."

Prince Jasper. The name echoed in Callidus's mind, a name he had heard Cressida mention fondly on a few occasions. Though he had never met her brother, she had shared a few tales of their childhood together. Callidus had listened with a mix of jealousy and curiosity, longing to be a part of her past in the same way that Jasper (and Ferox) had been.

Despite Callidus's first suspicious instincts, he knew there was no possible way Cressida could have communicated with her brother or anyone from Eflia.

(Unless Mint lied about not assisting her.)

Duke Leland raised an eyebrow skeptically, "A signet ring can be forged. We must be cautious not to be deceived by mere trinkets.

"If he truly is the Crown Prince, then this is beyond reckless," The marchioness added. "For the Crown Prince himself to travel here with only five guards, it's either a bold show of trust or a daring threat."

Countess Fenella couldn't hide her disbelief, "The audacity of it all! To bypass the usual protocols and make such a visit without proper announcement, it's an insult to Ashlar."

Duke Donovan muttered thoughtfully, "Although if it true that Crown Prince Jasper is leading the delegation, then it's possible that he's here to secure Her Highness's release."

"That will not happen," Callidus declared harshly.

A tense silence descended upon the nobles as they absorbed Callidus's assertive stance. Uncertainty and concern filled their gazes, and many of them seemed hesitant to speak further. As Callidus surveyed the room, he couldn't help but wonder how many of them were now aware of Cressida's residence in his bedchamber - a fact that the Duke of Renton apparently hadn't kept confidential after their conversation the day before.

(Perhaps he should have explicitly commanded the duke to keep it a secret. Callidus wasn't ashamed of the fact, but he had a feeling that Cressida's brother might react negatively to the news.)

"Your Highness," said duke cautiously spoke up, breaking the silence, "If his claims are verified, then we should consider whether Crown Prince Jasper's visit is an official one sanctioned by the Eflian monarchy or if he is acting on his own accord."

"And, regardless, is it wise to grant them permission to approach the palace?" the marchioness asked, voicing the concern shared by many in the hall.

"Arden," Callidus directed his gaze to the young man, still standing at attention before him, "What is the current situation at the city gates? Have they explained their intentions?"

"Captain Delmorn and the royal guard are holding the delegation at the city gates, awaiting your orders on whether they should be permitted to approach the palace." Arden reported. "The delegation claims that their mission is entirely peaceful and diplomatic. The man claiming to be His Highness came to request a private audience with you, seeking to discuss matters of mutual importance."

Callidus's jaw tensed, his fingers impatiently drumming on his leg.

If it truly were Crown Prince Jasper, and his intentions were indeed peaceful and diplomatic, denying him an audience could be seen as an insult to his future brother-in-law. However, granting him access to the palace without proper vetting and security measures could also be risky.

Finally, Callidus spoke, his tone laced with authority, "I will allow them to approach the palace grounds, but thorough searches will be conducted, and all weapons surrendered. The Royal Guards will ensure their safety while maintaining security. We will initially treat this as if the man's claims are accurate, given the presence of the signet ring. However, should we find any deception, the entire delegation will join the other Eflians in the dungeon. Any comments or objections?"

The nobles exchanged glances, considering Callidus's decision carefully. Duke Donovan finally spoke up, "It is a cautious approach, Your Highness. Allowing them to approach while ensuring their disarmament should prevent any immediate threats."

"Unless they are all Magicborne," Duke Leland interjected; his tone laced with disdain. "We have no idea what kind of talents those fleas could possess."

In response, Callidus looked at Duke Leland, narrowing his eyes in displeasure. "Duke Leland, I advise you to refrain from using derogatory terms when referring to the people of Eflia. Let us not forget that I, too, am Magicborne," he emphasized, delivering a clear warning, "and I assure you, I am more powerful than anyone they could possibly bring."

A hushed silence fell over the room as the nobles exchanged uneasy glances, taken aback by Callidus's forceful response. Duke Leland looked flustered, quickly realizing his error. "Of... of course, Your Highness. My sincerest apologies. I did not mean any offense. It's just that Eflia is known for having an abundance of such individuals, and it's prudent to consider the possibility."

"Indeed, it is," Callidus acknowledged curtly. "But we are welcoming in a new era of inclusivity and power. I have no room for outdated prejudice at my council table. Is that clear?"

The nobles nodded in acknowledgment, and Duke Leland responded with a more composed tone, "Yes, Your Highness. I understand."

They understood the implications of his message - that the past prejudices and biases against Magicborne individuals had no place in his kingdom moving forward.

Duke Donovan, seeking to ease the tension, spoke up, "Your Highness, you have our assurance that we will conduct ourselves with the utmost respect and inclusivity. We shall approach the situation with caution and diplomacy, regardless of the Eflians' abilities."

Callidus nodded in acknowledgment, satisfied with the response. "Good. Any other comments or concerns?"

The marchioness raised a polite finger, "Your Highness, I believe your approach is sensible. Although I am concerned, what with Ashlar's recent turmoil, they might be attempting to exploit our sense of courtesy to gain access to sensitive areas within the palace."

Callidus regarded the marchioness, "We will ensure that their visit remains confined to specific chambers and that access to other areas is restricted."

Countess Fenella added, "I volunteer, Your Highness. I shall make sure our guests are accommodated appropriately while they are here. It's essential to maintain a semblance of hospitality despite the situation."

Callidus nodded approvingly at the countess's offer. "Your assistance will be useful, Countess Fenella. Ensure that they are treated with courtesy and respect."

Countess Fenella bowed her head demurely, clearly pleased with his acknowledgment.

"Your Highness, if I may," the quiet Duchess of Renton spoke up tentatively, "I recommend holding the meeting in the Council Chamber. It offers excellent security and discretion. Though it fell out of use during your Late Father's reign, I believe it would be ideal for this purpose."

Callidus felt a brief flicker of curiosity. "It fell out of use, why?"

The duchess hesitated, her eyes flickering to the marchioness, who answered for her. "Your Late Father preferred to hold meetings in more lavish and opulent chambers within the palace, or in his private quarters. The Council Chamber, while historically significant, was deemed less fitting for important diplomatic affairs. However, it offers several advantages, such as its fortified structure and the ability to restrict access more effectively, making it suitable for confidential discussions."

Callidus considered her words thoughtfully, before concurring, "Very well. We shall proceed with the Council Chamber as the venue for the meeting. You two shall arrange the necessary preparations."

"As you wish, Your Highness," the marchioness replied, as the duchess bowed her head politely.

Callidus turned his attention back to Arden, "Inform Captain Delmorn to implement the security protocols immediately. I want the delegation screened thoroughly, and any signs of aggression or potential threats must be dealt with swiftly. However, be respectful. Have the royal guards escort them to the Council Chamber and await further orders once there."

Arden unnaturally saluted with his left hand, "Yes, Your Highness. I will inform Captain Delmorn of your orders immediately."

After finalizing the plans for the Eflian delegation's arrival and their subsequent meeting, the discussions came to a close. The nobles had expressed their opinions, and Callidus had carefully considered their input. Now, with the arrangements settled, he felt it was time to address what weighed heavily on his mind.

"I have another important matter to discuss with you all," Callidus began, his voice firm and resolute. "And I believe it is crucial and relevant information to share before the Eflian delegation arrives."

A hushed silence fell over the nobles as they turned their attention to their future king. Callidus took a moment to gauge their reactions, seeing a mix of curiosity and caution in their eyes.

"As some of you may have speculated or heard through unofficial channels," Callidus continued, "Princess Cressida and I are in a relationship of a serious nature." He paused, allowing the weight of his words to sink in. "Last night, I proposed to Her Highness, and she accepted."

The news hit the room like a thunderclap. Whispers and gasps erupted among the nobles, and they exchanged furtive glances with one another. Some looked shocked, while others tried to maintain their composure, concealing their surprise. The Duke of Torne wore an immediate look of shocked disapproval, and the Marchioness Arwine seemed pensive. Countess Fenella, intrigued, glanced at the Duke of Renton, who subtly nodded.

"While some of you might have already suspected my intentions towards Cressida," Callidus continued, "I want to clarify the situation and put an end to any baseless rumors or speculations. We plan to formalize our engagement after my Coronation banquet."

Callidus could sense the disapproval lingering beneath the surface, but he stared at each of them, daring them to object. The nobles exchanged timid glances, unsure of how to respond to Callidus's announcement.

Then, one by one, they offered their congratulations, though their expressions revealed varying degrees of uncertainty and discomfort. Countess Fenella, ever the diplomat, spoke first with a plastered-on smile, "Your Highness, this is indeed surprising news, but if it brings happiness to both you and Princess Cressida, then we offer our heartfelt congratulations."

Duke Donovan followed suit, "Congratulations, Your Highness. We trust that you have considered this decision carefully and believe it is in the best interest of Ashlar."

The quiet duchess nodded, "Yes, may this union be a source of strength and unity for our kingdom."

Silently, the marchioness maintained her composure, though her thinning mouth hinted at her reservations. Duke Donovan subtly exchanged a glance with Duke Leland across the table, attempting to signal caution without uttering a word.

"You certainly are ushering in a new era of change and progress," the countess added with a bubbly laugh, although there was a strained quality to her voice that she tried to hide, "Usually engagements are discussed with your advisors, ah, prior to the proposal and acceptance, but I, for one, am excited to see a departure from strict traditions."

Among the congratulatory and cautious remarks from the other nobles, Duke Torne's reservations grew too strong to suppress any longer. He cleared his throat and addressed Callidus directly, "Your Highness, while I respect your authority and your right to choose your own partner, we must consider the consequences of this engagement. Princess Cressida's past is a matter of public knowledge, and many still perceive her with suspicion due to the accusations she faced."

Callidus maintained his composure, despite feeling a surge of annoyance at the negative remarks about Cressida. He managed to suppress the tightening air around him, pushing it towards the ceiling of the hall.

Duke Donovan, sensing the rising tension, interjected softly, "Duke Leland, let us be cautious with our words. His Highness has made his decision, and it is our duty to support him."

However, Duke Leland met Duke Donovan's gaze with defiance, "His Highness, only three days ago, claimed that keeping Princess Cressida imprisoned was for the good of the nation! And now suddenly, he announces his intention to make her his queen consort?" He glanced pointedly at Callidus, adding, "Forgive me, Your Highness, but this sudden change of heart is perplexing. It's difficult not to question the timing and motives behind this decision."

The other nobles exchanged hesitant glances as they observed the rare display of open disagreement with Callidus.

Callidus felt another surge of irritation.

Up.

Release.

"The circumstances surrounding Princess Cressida's imprisonment were complex, and I made that decision in what I believed was the best interest of Ashlar at the time," Callidus replied, his voice steady. "However, my feelings towards her have evolved, and I now see an opportunity for reconciliation through our union."

Duke Leland persisted with skepticism, "In just three days? Engaging with a woman accused of murder and held in captivity-"

"You have been heard, Duke Leland," Callidus interrupted forcefully, feeling a wave of intense pressure wash over him, "But my decision is final."

"I highly recommend that you reconsider, Your Highness!" the duke exclaimed, "Announcing a sudden marriage without consulting the council at the start of your reign is reckless! Our focus should be on safeguarding our interests, not tying them to Eflian royalty! There are other potential matches that could prove more advantageous for Ashlar."

He then gestured towards the Duke of Renton, "For instance, consider Duke Donovan's lovely daughter, Aveline. Such a union could bring significant benefits to our kingdom, strengthening the dukedom and-."

"Princess Cressida is my fiancée," Callidus fiercely proclaimed, "And the only woman I'll ever love."

Callidus's sudden declaration of love left the room in stunned silence. The other nobles exchanged surprised glances, not expecting such a candid and emotional response from their future king. Duke Leland seemed momentarily at a loss for words, taken aback by Callidus's straightforwardness.

Countess Fenella let out a nervous giggle, "My, my! Who knew our Crown Prince had such a romantic side? The royal wedding will certainly be a grand affair, and I'm sure the kingdom will be delighted to celebrate such a joyous occasion after so many funerals."

Duke Donovan added, timidly offering his support, "Indeed, witnessing the depth of your commitment, Your Highness, is heartening. Love can defy expectations and only serve to strengthen a marriage."

Callidus's gaze shifted to the Duke of Renton, feeling a hint of irritation at the man's words, considering his recent confession of having a mistress.

Duke Leland, having recovered from his initial shock, couldn't suppress his concern, "But Your Highness, this is highly unconventional!"

Duke Donovan shot the younger duke a cautioning look, attempting to mediate the situation. "Indeed, it may be unorthodox, but love and diplomacy are not always mutually exclusive. If His Highness believes in this alliance, then we must trust his judgment."

"I was opposed to the initial engagement with the princess of Eflia from the start!" declared Duke Leland. "It's a minor country that primarily exports wine and art. It's barely the size my duchy!"

Duke Leland's frustration was evident as he scanned the room, hoping to find allies among the other nobles. However, most remained silent, unwilling to openly oppose the future king's decision.

"I have served as an advisor to this kingdom for decades, and I have always strived to act in its best interests," he said, his voice tinged with emotion. "Forgive me, Your Highness, but I cannot stay silent when I fear this decision might threaten Ashlar's stability and security."

The marchioness, who had been listening intently, spoke up with a diplomatic tone, "Your Highness, perhaps it would be wise to hear out Duke Leland's suggestions. Marrying for love is admirable, but we must also consider the consequences for our kingdom."

Callidus felt a heavy pressure begin to build behind the hollows of his eyes, pressing down on his shoulders and surrounding his temples as the tension in the room escalated. The Duke of Torne's objections grew more vehement and less diplomatic, and his emotions were visibly getting the better of him, speaking with disdain and frustration.

"Marrying a woman with such a dubious past, accused of murdering your own brother, no less!" Duke Leland retorted; his voice laced with passion. "It's madness, Your Highness! You are tarnishing the legacy of our great kingdom!"

Callidus felt his patience about to snap, and the pressure in the room began to shift uneasily as he struggled to control his emotions. He couldn't believe the duke's audacity, especially since the decision had been made and he had already declared his love for Cressida.

"I advise you to watch your tongue, Leland." Callidus murmured through clenched teeth. "My choice is final, and I will not tolerate any further disrespect or insubordination."

The other nobles exchanged uneasy glances, aware of Callidus's powers and the potential consequences of provoking him further. Countess Fenella tried to interject tactfully, "Leland, dear, let us approach this matter with decorum. His Highness has made his decision, and we should trust in his judgment."

But the Duke of Torne was relentless, his emotions overriding his sense of propriety. "Trust in his judgment?" he scoffed, his voice raising. "His judgment seems to be clouded! We should be focusing on strengthening Ashlar, not indulging in a love affair with a woman who might very well bring us more trouble than we can handle!"

Callidus's control wavered further, and a low hum filled the air, causing the chandeliers to sway slightly. The other nobles exchanged worried glances, and Countess Fenella glanced at Duke Donovan for assistance.

"Your Highness," Duke Donovan said calmly, attempting to defuse the situation, "Might I suggest a brief adjournment? We must prepare to greet the delegation-"

Duke Leland interjected with a bitter tone, "This delegation is only here because of Princess Cressida's presence in our palace. This whole affair with Princess Cressida is an unnecessary risk. Ashlar is already facing challenges on multiple fronts, and we cannot afford to invite further complications by aligning ourselves with a tainted woma-"

He was cut off mid-sentence by a blast of freezing air, smashing his head into the table.

The other nobles in the room gasped in horror, but none dared to intervene. As the air pressure mounted, the Duchess of Renton instinctively covered her ears, leaning against her husband, and Countess Fenella cowered into her seat, both gloved hands tightly pressed to her mouth.

Callidus's chair screeched as he shot to his feet, and the air around him crackled with his seething anger. His eyes blazed with fury, and in an instant, the room's temperature plummeted dramatically. He spoke through clenched teeth, his voice urgent and commanding, "Apologize for the disrespect. Now!"

The duke struggled to breathe as he lay pinned against the table. Sweat beaded on his forehead as he stuttered, his words muffled against the wooden surface, "Y-Your Highness, I...I apologize for my disrespectful tone...I...I let my emotions get the better of me...Please-"

Another frigid surge of wind whipped through the room, pressing Duke Leland's face even harder into the table. The icy gale responded to Callidus's intense emotions, amplifying his anger as he snarled, "You will apologize for the disrespect you have shown towards my fiancée."

As the room trembled with the force of Callidus's anger, the nobles watched in fearful silence. Duke Leland struggled to speak, his words now more desperate than before, "I...I apologize... for the disrespect... I have shown... towards Princess Cressida," he managed to utter between gasps for breath. Droplets of sweat ran down the man's forehead, and his chest heaved from fear.

Callidus's gaze burned with intensity as he glared down at the duke, the air brimming with dangerous possibilities, "This is your one warning," he said, his voice laced with an icy threat, "You shall not speak ill of her again." He gave the duke one more searing glare before slowly unwinding the air from around him, and pushing it up towards the ceiling once more, to dance around the chandeliers.

Duke Leland struggled to catch his breath; his forehead still pressed against the table as he reeled from shock. His hands shook uncontrollably on the wood beneath them.

The Duke of Renton glanced around the room, conveying a silent message to the other nobles, urging them to remain composed and respectful in their reactions. Countess Fenella was the first to break the tense silence, offering a pacifying smile and trilling, "Well, Your Highness. You are clearly a man in love. I'm sure Her Highness would be thrilled to hear you defend her honor so passionately."

Callidus's eyes snapped towards the countess, his anger simmering beneath the surface. He took a deep breath, trying to calm himself down. His emotions were always a challenge to control, but when it came to Cressida, it was as if his restraint vanished instantly.

(Cressida would definitely not be thrilled.)

"I congratulate you once again on your impending nuptials," the countess added, purposefully ignoring Duke Leland's rasped wheezing.

"Thank you, Countess Fenella," Callidus said stiffly.

"I... I see the wise thought process behind your decision," the Duke of Renton carefully added, unable to ignore the other duke who gasped like a fish on the table. "Announcing this before the Eflian delegation arrives could indeed help quell any malicious gossip about her presence in your b...ah...in your palace."

"Yes," Callidus affirmed, his breathing calming, "It will send a clear message that Princess Cressida is not here against her will, nor is she a mere hostage. If the delegation is indeed led by the Crown Prince of Eflia, then I hope to dissuade any tensions that may arise from her continued confinement by making my noble intentions clear."

Despite seething internally, Callidus recognized the necessity of projecting a composed demeanor to the nobles. The tension in the room slowly began to ease as he forcefully regained control of his emotions and magic. The intense air pressure subsided, and the temperature gradually returned to normal.

Up.

Release.

Duke Leland, visibly shaken, finally managed to sit up, and carefully avoided making eye contact with Callidus. His forehead bore a clear mark from its impact with the wood, his expression a blend of fear and resentment.

Marchioness Arwine shared a brief glance with Duke Donovan, before wisely saying in a soft humble tone, "With all due respect, my future Majesty, are you are still intending on keeping Her Highness, the future queen consort, confined during the Eflian delegation's visit?"

Callidus took a moment to gather his thoughts. The memory of Princess Cressida's previous escape attempt was a significant factor in his considerations, but he also understood the implications of confining her during the Eflian delegation's visit.

(But what if she tried to run again-)

"I have already granted her some limited freedoms, permitting her to walk in the gardens as long as I accompany her," Callidus responded. "And during the Eflians' visit, I will maintain the same arrangement. As long as I am with her, she will be allowed anywhere in the palace. There is no one in the world who can protect her as well as I can."

There was a slight pause in the room, as the nobles all inadvertently trailed their gazes to the mark on Duke Leland's forehead.

"My!" Countess Fenella nervously trilled, "Such a romantic declaration, Your Highness. I must say, I'm intrigued to see how this unfolds. A love story fit for a ballad! In fact, my family patronizes a great number of artists, should I contact one of them to compose a wedding anthem for you and your bride-to-be?"

Callidus paused, briefly considering what Cressida's reaction would be to such a present. It wasn't a bad idea at all.

Cressida loved music.

(When she wasn't shouting or crying.)

"Perhaps." Callidus murmured, managing a tight-lipped smile before reminding them, "You know your responsibilities regarding our anticipated guests."

The other nobles cautiously agreed, though unease lingered in their glances, and their words were marked by excessive respect and placation. Duke Leland chose to remain silent, nursing both his physical discomfort and wounded pride after the confrontation.

Callidus concluded, "I expect all of you to present a united and respectful front to the Eflian delegation during their stay. We cannot afford any missteps or misunderstandings that may threaten the fragile relations between our kingdoms."

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

40.4K 2.8K 14
( YANDERE! EMPEROR X MALE! READER ) ⎯⎯ ୨ ୧ ⎯⎯ ❝𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐏𝐏𝐄𝐃 𝐈𝐍 𝐀 𝐓𝐖𝐈𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐃 𝐖𝐄𝐁 𝐎𝐅 𝐋𝐎𝐕𝐄. ❞ 「After Y/n reincarnates into the popu...
1.2K 85 20
❝ A young welding apprentice desperate to keep her father alive begins working under a harsh Prince ❞ ➵ Prince Larkyn Sora was a young man who prese...
345K 13.1K 64
She was just a maid in the palace. The only reason she worked at the palace was that she was paid handsomely. She took care of the cleaning and scrub...
576 12 18
Discontinued for rewrites, more information in the first part :)