The Pharaoh and the Wayfarer...

By SnowflakeDragon18

How long would you wait for the one you loved, even if you lost all memory of them? In an age long before the... More

Prologue: An Unexpected Partnership
Chapter 1: Journey to Duelist Kingdom
Chapter 2: "Yugi" vs Weevil
Chapter 3: "Rain" vs Samson
Chapter 4: Joey vs Mai
Chapter 5: From One Thief to Another
Chapter 6: Shadow Game
Chapter 7: A Pitch Black Duel
Chapter 8: Joey's Resolve
Chapter 9: Both of Our Resolves
Chapter 10: Creator vs Champion
Chapter 11: Duel Identities
Chapter 12: Keith's Machinations
Chapter 13: Best of Friends, Best of Duelists
Chapter 15: Aftermath
Chapter 16: Legendary Heroes Pt 1
Chapter 17: Legendary Heroes Pts 2 & 3
Chapter 18: Dungeon Dice Monster Pt. 1
Chapter 19: Dungeon Dice Monsters Pt 2
Chapter 20: Stepping Out
Chapter 21: Stalked By Rare Hunters
Chapter 22: The Master of Magicians
Chapter 23: Mime Control
Chapter 24: Rescue and Friends Till the End
Chapter 25: Let the Finals Begin
Chapter 26: The Dark Spirit Revealed, Pt 1
Chapter 27: The Dark Spirit, Pt. 2
Chapter 28: Story Time
Chapter 29: Awakening of Evil
Chapter 30: Mind Games and the Tomb Keeper's Secret
Chapter 31: Rain vs Marik
Chapter 32: A Virtual Nightmare
Chapter 33: Isolation (Kinda) in Cyberspace and Freeze Play
Chapter 34: Courtroom Chaos and Noah's Secret
Chapter 35: Noah's Final Threat and So Close Yet So Far
Chapter 36: Burying the Past

Chapter 14: Match of the Millennium

812 35 0
By SnowflakeDragon18

I own nothing
Chapter 14: Yugi vs Pegasus

Yugi and Rain stood across from each other as the former went through his deck. This interim before the fateful duel with Pegasus was suffocating to say the least.
"I trust you, grandpa." Yugi said to himself. "I won't let you down."
Yugi probably should've been by himself to prepare, but he needed Rain right now. It wasn't a lot of time, but what knowledge she could cram into these few minutes would be better than nothing. Sensing he was done with deck preparations, Rain stood straight.
"To be honest, even after 8 years, I still don't know everything about the Millennium Bracelet, let alone the other items."
Yugi gave her a sad smile. "Anything you can tell me could be vital, Rain."
She thought for a moment before a determined look crossed her face. "Trust in the Spirit of the Puzzle. You may have only just now started working as a team, but if you want to stand a chance, you have to work as a single unit, like equals. The Millennium Items are the only things that can cancel each other out."
He glanced away, unsure. "There's...still so much I don't know about him. I know I should trust him, but I'm still hesitant."
(Y/N) suddenly took over, closing her eyes. "If he's anything like I was, he likely knows little about himself."
Yugi blinked. "What do you mean?"
"When Rain first woke me up, I had no memories. I couldn't even remember my own name for the longest time. For the longest time, I acted as a restless spirit, only revealing myself when Rain needed my help, because without her, I'd be trapped again. Judging by how your counterpart acted before, he's very much the same. We rely on the two of you to exist, and so, you can trust that we will give you our full power to achieve your goals. We all are separate individuals, but when we combine our powers together, we become a formidable force. I don't know if you will be able to use the Puzzle's power to negate Pegasus's mind reading ability, but I do know combining your strengths will open the path to endless possibilities. Keep that in mind."
Yugi nodded. "I...we will. Thanks, both of you."
He turned to walk through the doors again, only for (Y/N) to lean against the wall.
"Yugi. Rain has grown to care about you quite a bit in the short time you've known each other. She's very social, but I know she doesn't typical form deep connections like yours in this short of time. Come out of this, for her sake."
The boy blushed lightly before smiling. "I promise. Also, (Y/N), I may not have as strong a connection with my spirit as Rain does with you, but I think I can sense that he has a connection to you, that he cares about you. I think he wants to come out of this for your sake."
This caught the female spirit off guard for a moment. She couldn't deny she had the same feelings, regardless of her lack of memories, but she wasn't about to vocalize that just yet. She just gave him a weak smile.
"Be safe, both of you."
Yugi nodded and headed for the doors. As (Y/N) watched, Rain appeared in her spirit form, obviously flustered.
"Why did you tell him that!?"
"Was it untrue?"
Rain gave her a look. "Well, no, but you didn't have to blurt it out! Now things are going to be weird!"
(Y/N) chuckled. "I think you're underestimating the effect you've had on Yugi."
"What's that supposed to mean!?" The spirit did not answer, instead wordlessly handing the controls back to the panicking Wayfarer. "Hey! (Y/N)! I'm not done talking to you!"
Flustered and out of breath, Rain saw the doors open, seeing everyone at the edge of the arena.
"What are you guys doing?" Yugi asked.
Joey waved. "Hey, Yuge. We all wanted to wish you luck."
The boy smiled. "You're the best."
"Looks like you finally made it. You're goin' all the way, buddy." Joey then glanced at Rain. "Got him set, Rain?"
She sighed, walking over to them. "As much as I could at least. I wish I could give him my power."
"Don't worry, Rain, Yugi will pull through." Tea assured before looking at Yugi. "And once it's over, we'll get your grandpa home."
"Thanks guys." Yugi said. "That means a lot."
A voice then called from across the room.
"The time has come." Everyone turned to see Croquet. "Would the challenger, Yugi Moto, please enter the duel ring? Mr. Pegasus awaits you."
Everyone stood to the side as Yugi wore a determined expression.
"Go get him, Yuge!" Joey cheered as the Spirit of the Puzzle took over.
Other Yugi stepped forward as (Y/N) appeared beside Rain. The two locked eyes, the feeling of connection once again surging in them, before the female spirit smiled softly and nodded. Her male counterpart returned the gesture before marching off to meet Pegasus. Everyone watched as their friend took to the field.
"He looks so determined." Tea said, though her voice betrayed her worry.
Tristan seemed much more confident. "Yugi, take him down!"
"Put that slime bucket in his place once and for all!" Joey added.
Rain also joined in. "He's only got his dirty tricks! Show how a real duelist duels!"
"The challenger has entered the stadium." Croquet announced. "And now, for your dueling pleasure, Castle Pegasus is proud to present the creator of Duel Monsters and all its wondrous cards, the undefeated, undisputed ruler of Duelist Kingdom, Maximillion Pegasus!"
The man himself stepped out, two lackeys on either side of him, a smug look on his face.
"And now, let the duel begin!"
Pegasus cleared his throat, motioning one goon forward. On a cloth tray was his deck, which Pegasus took before stepping into the arena.
"So, Yugi-boy, you've turned out to be quite the young duelist, battling your way past all the other challengers, winning your way into the castle, just to face me."
Other Yugi growled. "Pegasus! Before we begin this duel, I want you to agree to keep your promise that if I defeat you, you'll release my grandfather's soul to me!"
"But of course, I'm a man of my word."
'Yugi' cut him off. "That's not all! You must also free the souls of Seto and Mokuba Kaiba!"
"What a strange demand. I thought you hated Kaiba as much as you hate me, Yugi. Or perhaps," He smirked slyly at Rain. "You're doing this on someone else's behalf. I didn't think you and Ms (L/N) were so close."
'Other' Yugi narrowed his eyes. "Perhaps I have a vow of my own to keep, Pegasus."
"I see, you and Rain made a vow to Mokuba." The male spirit flinched, realizing Pegasus read his mind as he thought back to the promise he and Rain made. "Okay, Yugi-boy, if it will put your mind at ease, I agree to your terms. If you win your battle with me, I shall free these three from their lonesome prison of souls."
Pegasus held up the three prison cards, causing Rain to growl.
"Lowlife."
"He's up to something." Tristan noted.
Joey nodded in agreement. "I think he planned to take on Yugi in the final match all along."
"He's after something, that's for sure." Tea added.
"I just hope Yugi can handle this." Bakura said. "Throughout this entire tournament, Pegasus has stacked the deck in his own favor, every step of the way."
"Don't worry about Yugi." Everyone turned to Rain. "It doesn't matter what tricks Pegasus pulls, he'll find a way to beat them."
Joey smiled, holding up a fist. "Rain's right! When this is all over, Yugi's gonna be the undisputed champion. Pegasus won't even have a clue what hit him."
Tea seemed to be in Joey and Rain's mindset, while Tristan and Bakura looked less than convinced.
"Pegasus hasn't once played fair." Tristan pointed out. "We don't know what kind of tricks he'll pull."
"Just like Rain said, whatever tricks he tries, whatever card he plays, Yugi will overcome them." Tea repeated. "He hasn't come all this way to lose in the final match."
Joey glared at Pegasus. "Look at him! No way that overdressed prima donna stands a chance against our buddy!"
"Maybe."
The blonde placed a hand on Tristan's shoulder. "Trust me, Yugi's no Kaiba. He's gonna beat this clown."
Rain, despite the nervousness bubbling in her stomach, turned away. "The duel's about to start. We should head upstairs."
Joey and Tea followed after her, but Bakura and Tristan lingered behind. Rain again felt a cold gaze on her back, but when she turned, no one was there. Eventually, the trio got to their spot as Croquet announced the duel.
"Challenger Yugi Moto, as per the rules of Duelist Kingdom, present the card that entitles you to participate."
"Here it is." 'Yugi' said as he held up Glory of the King's Opposite Hand.
Croquet nodded, accepting the entry card. "The stage is set for the final and deciding duel of Duelist Kingdom. Just as the card you hold is a blank slate, there are no limits to the prize you may request of your opponent if you are the victor. You can decide, if you wish, to take over his company as your reward for winning. You can ask for this entire island or demand Mr. Pegasus's Millennium Eye as your prize."
"This is crazy!" Joey yelled.
Rain huffed as Bakura joined them and stood by her side. "No, it just proves how confident Pegasus is. Wait, Bakura, where's Tristan?"
"Oh." The white haired boy blinked. "He wandered off somewhere by himself. I'm not sure where though."
"Seriously? This place is dangerous!"
"Ah, don't worry about him, Rain." Joey insisted. "Probably just went to the john. Forget him. This is just gettin' interesting."
Pegasus seemed quite pleased with himself. "Do I know how to throw a tournament or do I know how to throw a Duelist Kingdom tournament!"
"Promise me that you will free the souls you took." Other Yugi demanded.
"Yes-,"
"And you'll return the archive you stole from Rain's tribe."
"Well, it was stolen by an underling, but very well. But if I am the one that defeats you instead, you have to fulfill your end of the bargain as well. Take a close look at the card you hold in your hand, Yugi-boy. There's a reason that it's blank, you know, for if I win, I claim your soul!"
(Y/N) then appeared on Rain's other side. "I'd wondered about that card. It's another soul prison!"
Rain immediately pulled out her copy. "Well, I'm burning this."
"So you see, you have much to gain, but much to risk as well." Pegasus taunted as Other Yugi held firm.
"It's a risk I'm willing to take, but I don't plan to lose."
"We shall see."
"We will indeed, Pegasus."
"So courageous, so defiant."
"What a creep." Joey growled. "But even knowin' what's on the line, Yugi still isn't gonna back down."
"It's in his nature." Rain said.
Bakura glanced over at her. "True, but this is the biggest gamble I've ever seen anybody take on Duel Monsters."
"When Millennium Items are involved, everything is always on the line." (Y/N) said, a somber look on her face as she stared at the male spirit.
Rain looked at her concerned, wondering if this was experience talking despite her lost memories. True, they had played their fair share of Shadow Games in the past, but (Y/N) had always been cool and in-control. She had never wavered in a challenge. Was this because a second Millennium Item wielder was involved, or was it because the Spirit of the Puzzle was the one risking everything? For a moment, something caught Rain's eye. Bakura appeared to be looking out over the arena, but for a brief second, she caught his eye wandering, right where (Y/N) was standing in spirit form. But, that didn't make any sense, no one could see (Y/N) in this form besides herself and the Spirit of the Puzzle...right? Before she could call him out, 'Other' Yugi taunted their host.
"I hate to disappoint you, Pegasus, but I have no intention of ever becoming a part of your soul card collection."
The older male narrowed his eye as Croquet cleared his throat.
"The final duel will now begin. The winner will be declared King of Games. Now, both of you cut and shuffle your opponent's cards."
Two goons approached the competitors, taking their decks and handing them off to their opponents. Pegasus didn't even bother to shuffle Yugi's deck as the cards were returned to their owners. Once the lifepoint counters were set, both competitors shouted out.
"Duel!"

Yugi 2000LP/Pegasus 2000LP

Both duelists filled their hands. 'Yugi' took the first move and drew his card.
"Now it begins. I lay one card facedown and place this monster card in defense mode."
Both cards appeared facedown on the field as the turn ended.

Yugi 2000LP/Pegasus 2000LP

"Ooh, a sneaky play." Pegasus said mockingly. "That wouldn't be a Beaver Warrior, would it?"
Other Yugi kept a poker face, but Rain and (Y/N) both knew Pegasus was right.
"Oh, this is so much fun." The eccentric man gleeful said as he drew. "Hmm...I'll lay one card facedown as well, as well as a monster of my own. I play Red Archery Girl in defense mode."
A clam shell appeared above Pegasus field, opening to reveal a green haired mermaid armed with a bow and arrows inside.

Red Archery Girl
1400 ATK/1500 DEF

"Back to you, Yugi-boy."

Yugi 2000LP/Pegasus 2000LP

Other Yugi seemed caught off guard by a seemingly weak play by Pegasus. He didn't even put his defensive monster facedown. Still, he couldn't afford to play cautiously.
"I switch Beaver Warrior to attack mode!"
The armored mammal appeared with a cartoonish laugh.

Beaver Warrior
1200 ATK/1500 DEF

"I active the spell card, Horn of the Unicorn, as well, raising my monster's attack power by 700! Now, attack the Archery Girl!"
A horn appeared on Beaver Warrior's head, boosting his attack. Before he charged, however, Pegasus smirked.
"You've made a grave mistake, Yugi. You've activated my trap card, Tears of a Mermaid!"
Red Archery Girl cackled as her eyes glowed, a swarm of bubbles emerging from her and encircling Beaver Warrior.
"What's happening?"
"Unfortunately for you, Tears of a Mermaid activates the moment an opponent's facedown is activated. It blocks all possible attacks by the opponent's monster. Beaver Warrior's attack power drops to its original value."
Yugi growled and was forced to end his turn.

Yugi 2000LP/Pegasus 2000LP

Pegasus smirked. "Now that your monster's weaker, I'll switch my Red Archery Girl to attack mode. Archery Girl, turn that beaver into road kill!"
The mermaid took aim and fired, piercing Beaver Warrior through with a light arrow, dealing the first damage of the duel.
"Did you see that?" Tea asked. "He completely predicted Yugi's move!"
"He's using his power from the start." Rain said. "This is not going to be easy. There's got to be a way Yugi can block the power."
(Y/N) pursed her lips. "The Millennium Items should be able to block each other out, but without mastery over the item, Yugi can't."
"Hey, why the heck hasn't Tristan come back yet?" Joey suddenly asked.
Rain glanced around and noticed that the blonde was right. "He has been gone a while."
"Maybe he got lost?" Bakura suggested.
"Good grief!" Joey yelled. "Don't he realize he's missin' the match of the century?"
"I think- oh wait, I know you're just beginning to comprehend my power. Do you now realize the magnitude of the jeopardy you've put yourself in by accepting this duel? How can you defeat not only the creator of Duel Monsters, but a duelist who can read your every thought? I can see everything in your mind, your hopes, your dreams, and even your fears. And what you fear most right now is me, and with good reason. You know my mind-reading abilities give me an unbeatable advantage."
"This is just a nightmare!" Joey yelled. "We all know Yugi can beat anybody in a fair duel. But if Pegasus is able to read his mind-,"
"Anyone who tries to oppose the Eye must use extreme caution." Bakura interjected.
"He's right." Rain agreed. "In battle, if you know all of your opponents moves, it becomes one sided. Still, you seem to be speaking from experience, Bakura."
"Yeah, I thought only Rain knew about those freaky things." Joey added.
"I only know a little because of my Ring. What I don't know is if any mere mortal can stand against it."
"If not, there's no one else who can save Yugi's grandpa and the others!" Joey shouted.
Rain held up her hand. "Yugi's not just any person, he's a user of a Millennium Item of his own. He might not have mastery over it yet, but the items work in strange ways. When their users are in danger, they tend to reveal their own strength."
Rain looked at (Y/N) as she said this. The female spirit nodded back to her, only to catch sight of Bakura seemingly looking at her. The male looked away yet again, but it didn't stop (Y/N) from becoming suspicious.

Yugi 1800LP/Pegasus 2000LP

"No matter the odds, I will never surrender to you, Pegasus!" Other Yugi declared as he drew. "I play one monster in defense mode and end my turn. Now, do your worst."

Yugi 1800LP/Pegasus 2000LP

Pegasus chuckled evilly. "Oh, I always do."
As the duelists stared each other down, Rain caught sight of Croquet on a walkie-talkie, looking very troubled. She suddenly tensed up as she sense something beside her. She glanced to the side, not turning her head, and saw a malicious looking grin on Bakura's face. (Y/N) also kept her eyes on the duel, realizing she had been right to be suspicious.
"Oh, is it my turn?" Pegasus asked, not noticing the supernatural showdown in the peanut gallery.
"What's that sleazeball gonna pull this time?" Joey asked as older male drew.
"It's the moment you've all been waiting for." Pegasus announced. "First, Ryu-Ran in defense mode."
An egg appeared on the field, hatching partially to reveal beady yellow eyes, dragon wings, small claws, and dragon legs.

Ryu-Ran
2200 ATK/2600 DEF

"Not eggs-actly what you were expecting, is it?"
"Boo!" Rain yelled instinctively.
"Next, I switch Archery Girl to defense mode. Your move, Yugi."

Yugi 1800LP/Pegasus 2000LP

"I'll scramble your egg, if that's the best you've got." Other Yugi declared. "I'll still defeat you."
As he drew, Pegasus hummed.
"Could the card you just drew be Summoned Skull?" The male spirit gritted his teeth. "I think Summoned Skull will go nicely with your Celtic Guardian, Spellbinding Circle, Magical Hats, and Horn Imp."
"Don't let him psych you out, buddy!" Joey tried to encouraged.
"That's right!" Tea joined in. "You can still beat him!"
"No power is without a weak spot!" Rain added. "Just find his!"
It was then that Bakura turned and began to walk away, getting Joey and Rain's attention.
"You got somewhere to go, Bakura?" The blonde asked.
"Yes." He answered without turning to look at them. "I thought I'd go check on Tristan."
"He has been gone a while." Tea noted, jumping into the conversation.
Rain crossed her arms, staring suspiciously at him back. "Think something is keeping him?"
"Who knows? I'll be sure to ask him."
"Try not to get lost." Rain warned. "Dangerous things are lurking in this castle."
"I'll keep that in mind."
He walked away, leaving the Wayfarer uneasy. Something was definitely off about the white haired male. If she wasn't so concerned for Yugi and the Spirit of the Puzzle, she would've followed after him, but for now, she turned her attention back to the duel.
"It's my turn." 'Yugi' said. "And first, I'm laying this card facedown. Next, I'll throw Summoned Skull in defense mode, and leave it at that."
Summoned Skull emerged, kneeling with its arms crossed.

Summoned Skull
2500 ATK/1200 DEF

Yugi 1800LP/Pegasus 2000LP

"Goody. Now it's my turn once again. I'm switching Ryu-Ran into attack mode." A dragon burst out of the egg with a roar. "Ryu-Ranm Firestream attack!"
Two pillars of fire came barreling at Summoned Skull, causing 'Yugi' to reveal his trap. "I activate Spellbinding Circle! Now your attack is negated and your monster is ensnared, reducing his power by 700 points."
The spell circle blocked the fire blast and wrapped around Ryu-Ran, draining it of power.
"All right!" Joey cheered. "Looks like Pegasus is in big trouble!"
Rain bit her thumbnail. Pegasus had to have known that trap was coming, meaning he likely had a trap of his own in mind.

Yugi 1800LP/Pegasus 2000LP

"And now, Pegasus, I switch Summoned Skull into attack mode, and with the magic of my Spellbinding Circle in full effect, Ryu-Ran will be struck down! Go, Lightning Strike attack!"
Summoned Skull ready for an attack, only for Pegasus to smirk.
"Hmm. Not so fast, Yugi, I play my trap. It's a trap for traps actually. It's called Trap Displacement. With it, I can take the Spellbinding Circle you placed on one of my monsters, and switch to one of yours. Observe."
Yugi's trap disappeared, only to reappear around Summoned Skull, weakening it and negating its attack.
"No!"
"Why, it's almost as if I knew exactly what you were thinking, isn't it?"

Yugi 1800LP/Pegasus 2000LP

"Now, Ryu-Ran, Firestream attack!"
This time, Summoned Skull was destroyed, further dropping Yugi's lifepoints.
"He's even using his strategies against him!" Rain said, feeling helpless.
Joey growled. "That mind readin' cheat! What the heck is the use!?"
"Don't think like that!" Tea scolded. "No matter how bad it looks, we can't give up."
Rain nodded. "She's right. What do I always say?"
Joey calmed down a bit at this. "Right. We've gotta believe Yugi'll find a way to beat this creep."
"There's nothing you can do to stop it." Pegasus said, likely in response to something Other Yugi was thinking. "Face it, Yugi, you're at the mercy of my Millennium Eye. Don't you see? I already know every card you keep in your deck and I have in my possession every card needed to stop them. I can see every strategy your feeble mind has concocted and have already designed my own counter tactics to render them completely useless! But even without my Millennium magic, you're no match for me. After all, who needs magic with this card? Perhaps you'll remember it."
"Uh oh, here it comes." Rain muttered.
"That's right, it's the magical Toon World!"
The nefarious pop-up book materialized onto the field in a puff of pink smoke, bringing with it a sense of unending dread on everyone.
"I thought as much." Other Yugi said as Joey gritted his teeth.
"Aw, man, this ain't good."
Archery Girl and Ryu-Ran were immediately sucked into the book as it's pages turned.
"As you recall, Toon World protects my monsters within its impenetrable hardback bindings. Bindings that they'll only vacate when they're about to attack you! Oh, and seeing how all my monsters have been transformed into their super-powered toon form, it will be attacks certain to leave you in stitches."
Both monsters re-emerge, now in their toonified forms.

Toon Mermaid
1400 ATK/1500 DEF

Manga Ryu-Ran
2200 ATK/2600 DEF

"What's the matter, Yugi-boy, don't you have a sense of humor?" Pegasus laughed at Yugi's horror. "Manga Ryu-Ran! Attack the monster Yugi has in defense mode! Nasty Nostril Flame attack!"
A billow of smoke and flame came crashing down on the defensive monster, revealing it to be Giant Soldier of Stone, Yugi having to shield himself from the flames.
"Looks like you Giant Soldier of Stone couldn't stand the heat." Manga Ryu-Ran laughed in Yugi's face before jumping back into Toon World. "Aren't my toons simply marvelous? I can't help but feel the same proud satisfaction that a parent would. I guess that's my reward for having created the card."
"I'm gonna kill this cheating bastard." Rain seethed.
(Y/N) placed a hand on her shoulder, though she had an equally furious expression. "Patience, Rain, though I share your sentiment. All we can do is assist Yugi from the side."
"Assist how? We can't stop Pegasus from reading their minds, and we can't unlock the Puzzle's power for them! How are we supposed to help?!"
"We try to find a work around."
"Next, I think I'll switch Toon Mermaid to attack mode. You know, to let her out of her shell." Pegasus said, ending his turn.

Yugi 1400LP/Pegasus 2000LP

Yugi drew, deciding that he had to take the offensive if he wanted to win. "I play Celtic Guardian in attack mode!"

Celtic Guardian
1400 ATK/1200 DEF

"Go, Celtic Guardian! Silverblade Slash!"
"He's going for a double knock out?" Rain said.
"It's not the worst plan." (Y/N) said as Celtic Guardian charged. "Manga Ryu-Ran would just destroy Celtic Guardian next turn. With it destroyed, Pegasus won't be able to deal damage."
Celtic Guardian leapt into the air, bringing the sword down on Toon Mermaid, only for the clam around her to stop the attack dead.
"That toon caught Yugi's attack!?" Tea yelled. "What's going on here?"
"I don't know, Tea." Joey admitted. "Rain, it should've been a draw, right?"
She nodded. "Yes, it should have destroyed both of them."
Pegasus laughed. "Shoulda, woulda, coulda. I'm afraid that you're all just going to have to accept the reality of the situation. Yugi's Guardian is the catch of the day, and if there's one thing I love, besides winning, it's fish fry!"
Celtic Guardian was kicked back and pierced with a follow up arrow by Toon Mermaid.
"I don't get it." Rain said. "They both should've been destroyed."
Joey nodded. "You're right. Something's off with those toons!"
"No card in your deck is strong enough." Pegasus explained. "My toon monsters can't be beaten by brute force."
Toon Mermaid laughed and jumped back into Toon World.

Yugi 1400LP/Pegasus 2000LP

"It's my turn, Yugi-boy. I think I'll just lay these two cards facedown on the field."

Yugi 1400LP/Pegasus 2000LP

"Great, more for him to worry about." Rain growled as Other Yugi drew.
"It's my move now. I'm throwing a monster in defense mode!"
The hidden monster was marked on the field, ending the turn.

Yugi 1400LP/Pegasus 2000LP

Pegasus just laughed again.
"I knew you would. After all, that's the reason why I played this card facedown. Behold, Gorgon's Eye!" Pegasus flipped his trap card, summoning an eye beast with snake hair to the field. "I think you'll find her glance most arresting."
The eye opened as Horned Imp was revealed and subsequently turned to stone.

Horned Imp
1300 ATK/1000 DEF

"My Imp!" Yugi yelled, baffled. "He's been turned to stone!"
"As will every other monster you throw in defense mode, for the Gorgon's Eye is a permanent trap. And you should know that every time I destroy one of his concrete victims, half of their defense points will be deducted from your lifepoints! Sorry, but there is a bright side to having a set of fossilized monsters, Yugi-boy, they make fine paper weights. Hahaha!" Everyone glared at Pegasus and he sensed the murderous intent. "Tough crowd. Well, here, maybe you can learn to lighten up from my second facedown card: Doppelgänger! Know why he's grinning, Yugi? Because this little fella loves what he does and does what he loves."
"Wait, that's the card he used on Kaiba!" Rain remembered.
"Correct! This little rascal can transform himself into any card on the field that I want. Oh, beg your pardon, any card he wants. So which one will it be this time, Doppelgänger?" The cartoonish cat sprung up onto the field and coiled around his creator like a snake, whispering into his creator's ear. "Perfect. You always have the best ideas. Well, Yugi-boy, it seems that he would like to transform into that Summoned Skull."
'Yugi' blinked in shock. "My Skull? He's in my graveyard."
"Yes, but your graveyard pile is on the field, so it's fair game for my Doppelgänger. Go, my furry friend."Doppelgänger jumped into Toon World as its card transformed into Summoned Skull. "It's really something, isn't it, Yugi-boy? I can copy one of your monsters, recruit him to my team, and turn him into a toon all in one move. And with that, a dark new chapter of Toon World has been written. The chapter of fiends! And here's our story's protagonist, or antagonist depending upon your point of view: the Toon Skull!"
Toon World popped open again with a flash of lightning as a kiddified version of Summoned Skull popped out of the book.

Toon Skull
2500 ATK/1200 DEF

"What have you done to him?"
"Nothing compared to what he's going to do to you!"
Other Yugi growled at him. "You're twisted, Pegasus. You take such delight in creating such a monstrosity."
"Don't say that, you'll hurt it's feelings. You may not know it, but beneath that gruff exterior lies a very sensitive toon."
"Yeah right!" Rain yelled back.
"Pegasus, just make your move." 'Yugi' demanded.
"Whatever you say, Yugi-boy. Toon Skull, Lightning Strike attack!" Lightning came crashing down on the still frozen Horned Imp, reducing it to rubble. "And since Horned Imp was first turned to stone by Gorgon's Eye, half of his defense points are removed from your lifepoints. What splendid showmanship! Wouldn't you agree, Yugi-boy. Perhaps I'll coerce him to do an encore a little bit later."
Toon Skull flexed and returned to the book as Tea looked down in a panic.
"That creep sure loves to hear himself talk."
Joey slammed his fists down on the railings. "Ugh! Come on, Yuge! Pop that muscle-headed toon like a balloon!"
"Easier said than done." Rain scolded the blonde, growing increasingly frustrated with each turn.

Yugi 900LP/Pegasus 2000LP

Yugi drew as his turn came, causing Pegasus to put on an even more sadistic smile.
"I see you've drawn the fabled Dark Magician. Your favorite card, if I'm not mistaken. His trouncing should be especially painful for you. Hahaha! I do look forward to when you put him into play, Yugi-boy."
The male spirit gritted his teeth, thinking this whole thing pointless.
"Oh it is." Pegasus commented. "Oh, sorry, were you having a private conversation with yourself? I'm so gauche. I really must learn to not keep butting into other people's business. After all, accepting defeat is such a personal matter."
"Don't listen to him, Yuge!" Joey yelled. "Remember everything at stake here!"
"Everybody's counting on you, Yugi!" Tea added in. "And we know that you're going to come through for all of them!"
"Pegasus only has his tricks to protect him! Without them he's nothing!" Rain called out. "You've never needed tricks, Yugi!"
Even (Y/N) joined in. "Both of you have always fought with all your hearts. If Pegasus even has one, you'd always have twice that! Show that gaudy buffoon what that entails!"
The male spirit blinked in shock at her. This was the first time he had been able to hear (Y/N) without her taking over Rain's body. He had seen her, but he couldn't hear her voice. He shook his head and refocused.
Rain turned to her spirit companion. "Did he hear you?"
"So it would seem."
"Since when could you communicate with people without switching with me?"
"Since now, I suppose."
Hearing their conversation, the spirit glanced at the two when an idea finally hit him. Both Rain and (Y/N) had encouraged them not only to trust in each other, but to trust in the power of their Millennium Item. Seeing them converse, he realized that Rain and (Y/N) were in fact two separate individuals, just as they had told the boys before. Didn't that also entail that they had two separate minds? That he and Yugi had two separate minds?
"Yugi." The spirit thought to his counterpart. "I can't keep him out of my mind.
Yugi then appeared before him, the two now in the corridors of the mind. "Grandpa said that to win this duel, I'd have to harness the power of my Millennium Puzzle. I thought he meant for us to work together, like Rain and (Y/N), but I think I understand now. Rain said to trust my Puzzle, to trust you, but you need to trust me too. Hear me out: Pegasus is able to read our mind because we're working so close together. That's the wrong strategy for this particular game. Remember how Rain said she won that Shadow Game in Egypt even though her reflection knew all her moves? It was because (Y/N) and Rain weren't acting as the same person, because they aren't. We have to do something like that!"
"I think I understand what you're implying." The spirit said. "I just hope it works. Many lives depend on us."
Yugi gave him a determined look. "I know, but I have to trust this. Whenever we play a card, we switch our minds back and forth."
"That way, the cards we play will remain a secret, even to each other. It's a dangerous move, but it just might work."
"All right, let's do this!"
The spirit opened his eyes again. "I'll play Dark Magician in attack mode!"
Yugi's ace monster took to the field.

Dark Magician
2500 ATK/2100 DEF

He then held up a familiar spell card. "Next, I'll protect him with Magical Hats."
Dark Magician was quickly hidden beneath the giant silk top hat which duplicated itself then shuffled.
Tea cheered. "Brilliant! Even Pegasus won't be able to tell which hat Yugi's hidden his Dark Magician under!"
"I see." Pegasus mocked. "With your feeble attempt to hide your Dark Magician, you're hoping to stall until you can find a way to overcome my Toon World. But it won't work. You're not capable of concealing secrets from me. Those silly magic hats won't help you hide. All I need to do is probe your feeble mind to learn which hat hides your mage! You might as well surrender now and save yourself the embarrassment of a crushing defeat. Prepare yourself, Yugi-boy. Here I come!"

Yugi 900LP/Pegasus 2000LP

Just as Pegasus ordered Toon Skull to attack, Rain and (Y/N) saw the Millennium Puzzle glow. When Toon Skull attacked the hat, a haze settled over the battlefield.
"That magician has performed his last trick!" Pegasus declared.
"Maybe, Pegasus, or maybe you're losing your touch!" Yugi, or rather the real Yugi, said as it was revealed Dark Magician was still hidden on the field. "Or rather, you probed the wrong mind, one that doesn't know where the Dark Magician hides. Or maybe your powers are just not as all-seeing as you think."
Pegasus was in complete shock that he had failed, the first time anyone had seen the facade crack.
"You dare mock the awesome powers of my Millennium Eye?"
"Yugi!" Rain called out, a huge smile on her face. "You mad genius!"
"Hey, Rain, what the heck just happened?" Joey asked, Tea also looking for an explanation.
"He's switched places with the Spirit of the Puzzle. That's why Pegasus didn't hit Dark Magician. Only the spirit knows where it is!"
(Y/N) looked quite proud, smirking. "It seems that even the mind reading powers of the Millennium Eye are useless here."
"I told you there was a way to beat it!"
Yugi smiled up at Rain as she cheered. "Thanks for the idea, Rain. You too, (Y/N). I wouldn't have come up with it without you."
Rain raised her fists in the air. "Just knock that preening peacock down a peg!"
(Y/N), per usual, was the more composed one. "You've proven to Pegasus he's not untouchable, time for a counterattack!"
Yugi nodded before turning to his opponent. "You gained nothing from your attack, Pegasus. Even with your magic, you won't be able to win. After all, you're not the only duelist with a Millennium Item. Now, let's see how well your Eye measures up to my Puzzle!"
Tea turned to their Wayfarer friend. "Rain, will this really work?"
"This is basically a more complicated version of how (Y/N) and I beat my shadow clone. At the very least, Pegasus is off guard right now."
"Gah!" Joey screamed. "Enough with the magic talk! I just wish I could help him somehow, not no, all I can do is cheer from the sidelines while my best buddy duels his toughest duel all by himself."
"But he isn't alone." (Y/N) said. "Not even counting the Spirit of the Puzzle, even if we can't directly interfere in the battle, us just being here can help more than we can know."
"That's a good point, (Y/N)." Rain turned to the other two. "(Y/N) says that with us here, Yugi's never alone. If anyone is, it's Pegasus!"

Yugi 900LP/Pegasus 2000LP

Yugi drew and immediately set the card facedown. "I lay this card facedown on the field, and end my turn. Pegasus, do you know what the card is? Just use your Millennium Eye to read my mind. That is, if you think you can."

Yugi 900LP/Pegasus 2000LP

Pegasus growled before putting on a smile.
"No problem! You can hide nothing from me!" Just as he said this, Yugi immediately switched with the Spirit of the Puzzle, baffling Pegasus. "What!?"
The spirit chuckled. "Sorry, Pegasus, but I don't know what this facedown card is, either. Reading my mind will tell you absolutely nothing."
(Y/N) smiled fondly at the smug tone of her male counterpart. "When we told them they needed to work together, this isn't exactly what I had in mind."
Rain gave her a toothy grin. "Whatever works!"
Pegasus, not having a spirit like the two teens, was unable to comprehend how Yugi was pulling this off. "This is impossible."
The spirit crossed his arm. "You see, Pegasus, I don't know what that card is, because I am no longer Yugi Moto, but someone else altogether. Through the magic of the Millennium Puzzle, two minds inhabit this body. Now, each time you try to read one of our minds, we'll use mind shuffle."
"Best believe him, Pegasus." Rain called out. "After all, I can do the exact same thing."
Pegasus looked furious that his own power had been negated, however, before the girls could savor the look on his face, (Y/N) felt a chill down her spine. Her head turned to where Bakura had left to find Tristan.
"Bakura and Tristan have been gone too long."
Rain glanced at her. "You think they're in trouble?"
"I think Bakura isn't exactly himself at the moment."
Catching her meaning, Rain turned to Tea and Joey.
"I'm going to find Tristan and Bakura."
"What?" Joey yelled. "The duel's finally fair!"
"(Y/N) and I are pretty sure Tristan's in over his head. He's gonna need some serious help."
"Wait, what about Bakura?" Tea called as Rain began to leave.
"That's who he's gonna need help with! Hey Spirit! You and Yugi have this guy on the ropes! Finish him off!"
The male spirit nodded in acknowledgment as Rain took off to look for Tristan. Considering the girls lacked the divining power of the Millennium Ring, neither wasn't exactly sure where to start their hunt. However, (Y/N) did think back to Tristan's odd behavior during the duel, and the behavior of Croquet during the match. If she had to wager a guess, it was likely the boy had headed to the dungeon to search for bodies of hostages. Fortunately, the female spirit had a more attentive memory, and remembered the shortcut from Pegasus's throne room. Following the spirit's directions, Rain ran through the castle's underground, once again cursing her short legs.  Eventually, they found their way to the cell Mokuba had previously been kept in, and a guard unconscious nearby with a helmet covering his head.
"Okay, clearly Tristan managed to get him out." (Y/N) noted.
Rain scratched her head. "Now the question is: where did they go?"
Blood curdling screams suddenly filled the corridors, causing the (H/C) haired Wayfarer to yelp. The two partners looked at each other before looking back down the corridor.
"What are the odds that has nothing to do with this?"
The spirit's (E/C) eyes rolled. "With our luck?"
"Good point."
The two ran in the direction of screams, only to find a gruesome sight: scraps of clothes and sunglasses with teeth and claw marks. It was likely safe to assume that the people these belong to were no longer of this world.
"Well, it is safe to say the Spirit of the Ring is definitely the one currently in control at the moment." (Y/N) said. "Hopefully Tristan wasn't also caught up in crossfire."
"Tristan!" Rain called out as she began to run to find them.
Eventually, the two females came upon dark shadows that creeped around the wall. The Millennium Bracelet glowed instinctively, keeping them at bay. Following the shadows, Rain found Tristan and Bakura facing each other, the brunette holding the soulless body of Mokuba. Not bothering with (Y/N)'s warnings to be cautious, Rain charged in, getting both of the males' attention.
"Rain!" Tristan said, sounding relieved.
'Bakura' put on a fake smile. "I didn't expect you to be down here as well. I hope we didn't worry you."
Rain held up the Millennium Bracelet, its light growing stronger. "Don't even. I know who I'm actually talking to."
He smirked evilly. "It was worth a try, though I suppose I should've known better than to try and pull one over on a Wayfarer."
"What do you want? Why did you go after Tristan and Mokuba?"
"He's after Mokuba's body!" Tristan explained. "He's trying to use him as a new host."
"I won't let that happen!" Rain growled. "Besides, you should know better than just arbitrarily choosing a vessel. The items are choosy about their wielder, and it doesn't end well when someone unsuited comes into possession of one."
The Ring Spirit chuckled, shaking his head. "Then I suppose Seto Kaiba would be a more suitable host for me. I have a sinking suspicion he'll be more fitting for the task."
Rain held her ground, keeping her gaze focused, while also signaling Tristan to get Mokuba out of there. As the two Millennium Item wielders got ready to throw down, Tristan began to back up. However, before any more witty remarks could be exchanged, Rain and (Y/N) tensed, feeling a cold dread seep into them. Rain immediately swung her head back where she had come from, somehow knowing something terrible had just occurred.
"Yugi!"
"My my, Pegasus must be truly desperate to drag this little game of his into the shadows." The Ring Spirit mocked. "Guess he overestimated his power."
Rain glared at him. "I don't have time for you. Release Bakura!"
The Spirit suddenly charged her, grabbing the arm that held the bracelet. "You assume a lot that you can order me around, little Wayfarer."
Rain gritted her teeth, holding her ground as the bracelet became brighter. "I just don't have the patience for you right now. I have a friend who needs me right now, and I sure as hell am not going to waste my time with some crazed lunatic!"
This seemed to further enraged the spirit whose grip tightened on Rain's arm. "Of course, it's always about him, even after all these years."
Rain smirked, suddenly understanding what was going on. "That didn't sound like it was for me. How do you actually know (Y/N)?"
'Bakura' began to push her back, his expression murderous. "She can ask me that herself, instead hiding behind a lesser half!"
"ENOUGH!" (Y/N) suddenly took over, pushing the Spirit of the Ring back as a circle of light encircled her. "I don't care who you are and as Rain said, we don't have time for this. If you won't release Bakura, I will make you."
He growled at her. "Even after all these years, (Y/N), even without your bloody memories, no matter what I do, you always, ALWAYS, run back to him!"
"I may not remember anything, but I won't deny my pull to him. So believe me when I say, nothing will stop me from reaching At-."
(Y/N) suddenly broke out in a choking fit, as if the word she was about to say was a spoonful of cinnamon in her mouth. What...what was she about to say? Where did that come from? The Spirit of the Ring looked horrified, but quickly molded his expression back to anger.
"So, some part of you still remembers."
The female spirit just gave him a cold look. "You're done."
"Wha-,"
Through this whole process, Tristan hadn't actually fled. He had placed Mokuba down a safe distance away and snuck up on the spirit while they were glaring each other down, knocking him across the back of his head with another helmet.
"Lights out for you, pal." Tristan growled.
(Y/N) sighed. "Good work, Tristan. I don't think he'll get up any time soon."
"I'd hope so. Good job keeping him busy. Your arm okay? He looked like he had a tight grip."
She glanced down and saw the abrasions. "It's nothing. Right now, we should focus on making sure Bakura is the one who wakes up and get back to the duel as fast as possible."
Tristan nodded. "Right. That Ring gives him all those evil powers, right?"
"That's correct. Take it to the nearest window and throw it as far as you can. I would prefer to take it back with me, but we can't risk Bakura being close to it."
"You got it!"
Tristan followed orders, disposing of the Ring and returning with Mokuba. The two switch off, Rain carrying the young boy and Tristan taking Bakura, as they raced back to the dueling arena.
"Hey!" Tristan shouted as they saw Tea and Joey. "How about a hand?!"
The two turned to them.
"Where have you guys been!?" Tea asked.
"You wouldn't believe it. I've had an adventure and a half today."
"I think all of you are believers in magic by now. Long story short, the Ring Spirit came back, but he was dealt with." (Y/N) said, setting Mokuba down gently before turning to the arena, now covered in a blanket of shadow. "I was afraid of this. He's taken this duel to the Shadow Realm."
"The Shadow Realm?" Tea repeated.
"It is as pleasant as it sounds. It's a realm that exists in pure darkness, where Shadow Games are played. Everything in the duel is about to become frighteningly real for Yugi and the Spirit of the Puzzle."
Joey suddenly ran past her towards the stairs. "Come on!"
"Joey, no!"
(Y/N) charged after him, Tristan and Tea behind her. As Joey was about to run into the shadowy fog, the female spirit grabbed him by the arm.
"Joey, stop! It won't let you pass."
"Yugi's in there! We gotta help him!"
"I don't think there's much we can do. The cloud is meant to keep outsiders from interfering."
Just then, everyone flinched, Rain and (Y/N) being especially affected.
"You felt that too, right?" Joey asked, looking over to Tea.
She nodded. "Yeah, a sharp jolt, right in my heart and a sudden feeling that Yugi's in trouble."
Joey turned his head. "You're (Y/N), right? What's going on with our buddy?"
"He's fading, fast. The Shadow Realm is not a place for the living. The mental strain could be too much for him to take, even if he switches between him and the spirit."
"Then how come we're all feeling it?" Tristan asked.
She gave him a sad smile. "Simple, you have a deep bond with him, deeper than you may realize. Rain also shares a connection with him. As for me, I share one with the Spirit of the Puzzle. In a sense, it links our spirits together."
"Are you sure there's no way we can help him!?" Joey demanded.
Just then, everyone felt a flash of pain strike them. Rain appeared in her spirit form, clutching her head, tears escaping her.
"Something bad just happened to Yugi just now, didn't it?" Tea asked.
"He gave out." (Y/N) answered ominously. "Meaning the Spirit of the Puzzle's on his own."
"Wait, does that mean he's-,"
(Y/N) cut Tristan off. "Not yet, but if this duel doesn't end soon, he could be lost to the shadows."
"We need to get to him!" Tea declared, running into the fog only to immediately reappear.
The female spirit prevented her from trying again. "I told you, we can't interfere that way."
Joey looked to (Y/N). "(Y/N), freaky magic like this is yours and Rain's department. There's got to be a way to get through. Rain's always talking about how much Wayfarers know about this stuff, and we could really use that right now!"
(Y/N) gritted her teeth in frustration. It wasn't as if she didn't want to interfere but how could she at this point. The field was already up with no way in!
"(Y/N)." She turned to see Rain placing a hand on the Millennium Bracelet. "There is a way."
"Rain, that's risky. We've never tried it before, no Wayfarer has."
"We've never had a reason to!" She argued. "Yugi's sinking and the Spirit will be helpless against the Eye by himself. We can hold back because it might not work! The tribe has spent countless generations collecting the stories about the power of the bracelet. It's time we put the legends to the test!"
(Y/N) took a deep breath, gripping her arm and raising the bracelet up. "Very well, let's try it."
The bracelet glowed, sensing the resolve of spirit and vessel. A ring of light again encircled (Y/N).
"(Y/N)?" Tea said, shocked.
"There may be a way to reach Yugi."
"What, really!?" Joey shouted.
"May. I don't know if it will work, but the Millennium Bracelet was always described as this: a weapon forged to pierce darkness. Any darkness."
"Even something like this?" Tristan asked.
"In its long life, there have only ever been three recorded bearers of this item, Rain included, and none of them spoke of the previous owners breaking into a Shadow Game. Still, it's the only thing we can think of."
The spirit focused, the light growing as the others gave words of encouragement. (Y/N) and Rain felt the wave of darkness pushing back against them in crushing waves.
"It's not enough!" Rain shouted.
(Y/N) then turned to others.
"Place your hands on my shoulders." They gave her confused looks. "Rain and I aren't strong enough on our own. Your bond with Yugi, your resolve to help him, it could tip the scales not only against the darkness, but against the power of the Millennium Eye. Please, lend us your strength!"
Tea wore a determined expression, placing her hand on (Y/N)'s back. "If that's the case, then take all the strength you need! Guys, get in here, like before!"
"The friendship pact!" Joey said with a smile before placing his hand over Tea's, Tristan following suit. "We're counting on ya! Go save our buddy!"
"I'm still not over this whole magic thing yet, but I'm willing to try to help Yugi." Tristan added.
(Y/N) nodded and concentrated once more, feeling strength from the trio's determined effort to save their friend. In the sea of darkness, the spirit and the Wayfarer fought the shadows together, however, it still did not seem enough. Push to the brink, (Y/N) closed her eyes and prayed.
"Please. I know I have little to offer, but if you can hear my prayer, grant us the power to reach them. Grant me the power to reach him!"
Within the Shadow Realm, the Spirit of the Puzzle drew what could be his final card. Pegasus smirked as he attempted to read it, only to shriek as he was blinded by a golden light. As he tried to find his footing again, a voice pierced him through.
"No more of your tricks, Pegasus! For this minute forward, you'll have to rely on your own skill!"
He looked up, and to both his and the spirit's shock, (Y/N) was standing there, the Millennium Bracelet glowing brightly.
"Th-that's not possible!" Pegasus yelled.
"(Y/N)?" The spirit said in disbelief.
Rain appeared beside her. "We figured you'd appreciate the company."
"How?!" Pegasus demanded. "How did you enter this place!? How did you stop my Millennium Eye?!"
"It's as Yugi said, you aren't the only one with a Millennium Item. Mine just so happens to have the power to overcome the darkness. As for your Eye, I'd take another look, Pegasus. It's not my power blocking yours."
Infuriated, the man did as she suggested, this time finding his way blocked by the images of Yugi's friends, including Rain, who with Tea was protecting Yugi's spirit within a ring of light.
"Inconceivable!"
"Your power over darkness trembles in light of the bonds we share." (Y/N) said with conviction. "Face it, Pegasus! You've no more tricks to hide behind!"
The Spirit of Puzzle smiled, turning to face the trio of friends. "Thank you. Together we can stand strong against him."
The others all nodded as Pegasus snarled.
Tea glared at him. "Pegasus, you just don't get it."
"You think your Eye makes all the difference." Joey said.
Tristan jumped in. "But you're wrong, friends do."
"You're all alone, Pegasus." Rain said. "All the Eye can do for you, is try to cover for your weakness."
"That's right!" The Spirit of the Puzzle declared. "It's thanks to them I can save my magician from the blast of your Bakudan Detonator."
"You cannot. My Detonator will win this duel for me despite your pathetic little friends!"
"Wrong! Because now that these friends are working with me, this is a whole new game!"
Pegasus seemed to flinch back at the declaration.
Rain gave the male spirit a determined look. "Don't worry about Yugi. I think...I think the bracelet's letting me protect him in my protection circle."
The spirit nodded to her. "Thank you, Rain."
"Are you certain you can maintain it?" (Y/N) asked, concerned for her own partner.
"Positive. Just focus on helping him!"
The two spirits looked at each other and nodded, prepared to end this demented game once and for all.
"You have my support." (Y/N) said as her male counterpart smiled.
"You've saved me more than you know." He then pointed at his opponent. "Now, prepare yourself, Pegasus, because with Yugi's friends preventing you from seeing the cards I pull, you'll just have to take them as they come. And for this turn, they don't come any better than this: go Mystic Box!"
The Detonator monster and Dark Magician, who was fused to a different monster, suddenly vanished, its form taken over by a set of magician's trick boxes. When the doors opened, Dark Magician jumped up, free from imprisonment.
"The magic of the Mystic Box frees my Dark Magician and puts your Bakudan Detonator in his place."
Mystic Box vanished, showing the bomb was now fused to Pegasus's other monster.
"No! Now its blast will only destroy Relinquished! No fair!"
"As if you care what those words mean!" (Y/N) scolded as the turn ended.

Yugi 400LP/Pegasus 600LP

Pegasus drew, sneering at the card. "I pass. There's nothing I can do."
"Very well." The spirit said. "My move then."

Yugi 400LP/Pegasus 600LP

He drew, then smirked. "Go, Brain Control!"
"No, then Relinquished will be-,"
"Brainwashed!" The spirit finished as the spell card snatched the monster. "Under my control for one whole turn! How does it feel, Pegasus, to have the tables turned against you?"
(Y/N) suddenly gave him a side smile, one that was mischievous. "You know, I'm starting to realize: you are petty."
"Petty?" He chuckled at her.
"Yes, incredibly so. I actually fear for Kaiba the next time you duel."
"Don't tell me you have never taken some satisfaction with it."
"I never said that, I'm just pointing it out."
Pegasus manic laughter interrupted their pleasant conversation.
"Go ahead and take Relinquished, you fool. That Detonator you attacked to him is set to go off this turn. It'll blast your magician and deplete your lifepoints."
(Y/N) sighed. "I would assume he would have a plan before stealing an active explosive."
"Correct." The male spirit confirmed, flipping over the remaining facedown. "Remember, I still have one more card left, the card that took the last bit of Yugi's courage to play. And now, it's time to find out what it is!"
The spell card became active revealing Dark Magic Ritual. As (Y/N) heard Rain scream that Yugi had held out on her, Dark Magician and Jigen Bakudan were sacrificed. A swirling pillar of dark energy suddenly tornadoed around them.
"The offering has been accepted!" The male spirit declared. "A new power is brought forth! Now, Pegasus, behold! The Magician of Black Chaos! You may have succeeded in putting Yugi out of commission, but not before his final courageous act set the stage for the greatest magician in all of Duel Monsters! And with the Magician of Black Chaos, I will avenge my fallen friend!"
A mage of staggering dark power descended from the clouds and landed on the ritual altar, his eyes trained on his foe.

Magician of Black Chaos
2800 ATK/2600 DEF

"Face it, Pegasus, you're through! No card in your deck can save you now! Yugi's last act of courage will finish you!"
Pegasus grinned manically. "You know, I think you're right about that Chaos Mage! I think he will bring about the end of this match and a lot sooner than you may think!"
"We'll see. Now, to complete my strategy, I play this." The spirit placed a facedown. "And also one monster in defense mode. That ends my turn."

Yugi 400LP/Pegasus 600LP

"It's my turn now!" Pegasus said, seething. "And the effects of your turn are over. Your Brain Control spell has expired, and Relinquished is back where he belongs: with his daddy. And even with your two mystery cards out on the field, I think you'll find that he's just as effective as ever. If you think you have Relinquished all figured out, think again, because I'm using Polymerization to fuse him with Thousand Eyes Idol! Now prepare yourself for the ultimate merged monster! Behold my beauty! Thousand Eyes Restrict!"
Relinquished underwent a gruesome transformation, growing a plethora of eyes and splitting open to reveal the flesh beneath. A maw opened on its stomach and a Millennium Eye sprouted from its neck.

Thousand Eyes Restrict
0 ATK/0 DEF

"He's quite a looker, eh? If you think he's a real stunner now, well, just wait until all 1000 of his eyes open up! Then I think you'll find that he's much more than just a pretty face!"
"Only you could make such a joke about such a grotesque creature." (Y/N) snarled. "Though I suppose it perfectly reflects the heart of its creator."
Pegasus only chuckled. "The end is truly in sight, wouldn't you say?"
"Not with my Chaos Mage protecting me!" The male spirit countered.
"Oh, I think you'll find that once all his eyes are on your Magician of Black Chaos, he won't be able to protect himself! Oh, trust me, you'll see what I mean very shortly."
The beast's eyes all began to open, unnerving the two spirits.
"Well, that's disturbing." (Y/N) noted.
"I couldn't agree more." Her male counterpart agreed. "Pegasus, you can do you worst, but this duel will be won by the card Yugi picked in his final act of courage!"
"We'll see about that." Pegasus challenged. "Thousand Eyes Restrict, time to open your peppers!"
"Chaos Magic! Prepare yourself! Try to hold him off!"
"There is nothing you can do to hold this attack off, for now, I unleash the Thousand Eyes spell!"
The opened eyes glowed with unnatural green light. Magician of Black Chaos was suddenly held up, restrained.
"My Chaos Mage!" The male spirit yelled.
"Is trapped by the mystic gaze of my ultimate beast!" Pegasus explained. "And don't think you'll be able to rescue him. There's no escape from the mesmerizing eyes whose gaze blankets your field. Even the monsters you've hidden from me have become paralyzed! In just a matter of moments, my Thousand Eyes Restrict will assimilate your Chaos Mage and finish you off. There's nothing you can do! Accept it. It's all over. Yugi's last card has failed you both! His Millennium Puzzle will soon be mine! Absorption Force!"
"Just the play I was waiting for!" The Spirit of the Puzzle said as he flipped his facedown.
Pegasus was too busy laughing, reveling in his supposed victory, to notice, leaving poor (Y/N) to clear her throat.
"If you're done cackling like a dying hyena, I suggest you take another look.
Pegasus blinked as a horde of Kuribohs took to the field shielding Magician of Chaos from the gaze of Thousand Eyes Restrict.
"What's happening?"
"You were right about your Thousand Eyes Spell." The male spirit explained. "It did affect all my hidden monsters, specifically, my Kuriboh."
"No, this can't be!"
"Yes, and I activated my other facedown card, Multiply. One Kuriboh is becoming many, and because it's too late to call back the Absorption Force spell you just casted, your Thousand Eyes Restrict has no choice but to assimilate them all, if it can!"
The army of furballs were sucked into the monster, each one covering a single eye until the beast was completely blind.
"Those furry freaks have covered him from head to toe! There must be a thousand of them!"
The male spirit chuckled. "Tens of thousands, Pegasus! And because of the way Kuribohs attack, you're about to see just as many explosions! Kuriboh's self-destruct on contact with the enemy!"
With a bang, the Kuriboh's blew, dealing minimal damage to the spirit, but that wasn't the point, the point was Thousand Eyes Restrict was now powerless, ending the turn.

Yugi 100LP/Pegasus 600LP

"Curse you, Yugi Moto, you and your Kuribohs!"
"Of course Kuriboh was my monster, so I do lose 300 lifepoints, but still, that's a small price to pay for crippling that giant eyesore! And now that your monster's transfixing gaze has been broken, my Chaos Mage is free. And you, Pegasus, are through! Attack, magician, with Chaos Scepter Blast!"
With a twirl of his scepter, Magician of Black Chaos sent an orb of dark energy crashing into Thousand Eyes Restrict, decimating it and wiping out Pegasus's lifepoints.

Yugi 100LP/Pegasus 0LP

The game won, the veil of shadows was weakened. Rain reappeared, Yugi in tow. The spirits nodded to their vessels and allowed them to take control of their bodies once more. Yugi then glared at Pegasus.
"Pegasus, you're finished. We've won!"
"Don't even try to weasel your way out of this." Rain warned. "You were dumb enough to make this into a Shadow Game, so you're bound by those same dark forces to honor your word. It's curtains for you, ya loon!"
Pegasus fell over in a daze, muttering to himself. Yugi, exhausted, let out a sigh of relief. Rain, fearing he might topple over, let him lean against her shoulder.
"You okay?"
He smiled. "Tired, but I think I'll be fine. Thanks for coming to save me, again."
"Ah, it was a team effort this time. Besides," She smiled mischievously. "I'm starting to like the feeling."
The two chuckled lightly before Yugi mentally thanked the Spirit of the Puzzle for his help. The shadows fell, revealing their friends.
"Yugi!" They all yelled, rushing over to him.
Rain stepped to the side as they all rushed the poor boy, Tea eventually having to pry Joey off the shorter male, before giving calmer congratulations and cheers. Rain tried to give them space, but was immediately pulled back by Tea.
"Oh, don't think you're getting out of this, Ms Pierce the Darkness Through Sheer Willpower."
Rain blushed. "Hey, I was just the humble deliverer of your will to Yugi, nothing too exciting."
"Ya kidding, Rain!?" Joey yelled. "You jumped into another dimension just to save our pal. That's not going unnoticed in my book. Get over here!"
"Hey! Joey! Knock it off!" Rain protested as the blonde ruffed up her hair, eventually prompting her to elbow him hard, getting everyone to laugh.
Yugi had to catch his breath. "Thanks guys. We couldn't have done it without you."
"Wait!" Tea said. "Let's not forget, this isn't over until Pegasus releases everyone's souls just like he promised."
"Yeah." Joey Agreed as Tristan cracked his knuckles.
"So then, let's go grab the creep."
Yugi nodded and turned, only to see the other side of the arena empty. "He's gone!"
"Why am I not surprised?" Joey growled as Rain folded her arms behind her head.
"Don't worry. He's not gonna get far. It's a bad idea to cheat a Shadow Game. Let's go check on Bakura and Mokuba first."
"Hey!" Speak of the British devil, he was up, smiling and waving at them from the upper level.
"Hey!" Tristan called back. "Feelin' back to normal?"
Bakura tilted his head. "What? Back to normal? Have I not been normal, Tristan?"
"Crap, he doesn't remember. Did I give him a concussion?"
"If you did, blame it on the Spirit of the Ring." Rain suggested.
"Good idea. Bakura, that spirit in your Ring took over again!"
Yugi blinked. "The Ring? Where is it now?"
Rain flinched. "(Y/N) may have told Tristan to chuck it as far as he could out a window."
Bakura sighed. "Oh well, if it was making me act weird, then it's for the best then. It appears I'm fine now."
"I'd suggest you still take a minute, Bakura." Rain suggested. "Can you watch Mokuba while we go after Pegasus?"
"Sure, I suppose."
"Good." Joey said. "Then let's go and find that creep!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.7K 192 18
This story has recently been put in the Yugiohwattyawards for 2017! If you haven't followed them yet I would recommend it! There's always some really...
3.7K 157 16
"Even though I love the staring, I'm not going anywhere aibou." Yugi is depressed because of Atem's leaving his world. Yugi knows that he is in a bet...
167K 3.7K 14
How long would you wait for your soul mate? After the death of his beloved Queen in childbirth, the beloved Pharaoh Atem swears to find her one day a...
14.9K 256 7
A 15 years old girl named Yugi was sitting alone on her windowstill, rain is pouring heavily as she silently crying over her dead grandfather Solomo...