The Pharaoh and the Wayfarer...

By SnowflakeDragon18

How long would you wait for the one you loved, even if you lost all memory of them? In an age long before the... More

Prologue: An Unexpected Partnership
Chapter 1: Journey to Duelist Kingdom
Chapter 2: "Yugi" vs Weevil
Chapter 3: "Rain" vs Samson
Chapter 4: Joey vs Mai
Chapter 5: From One Thief to Another
Chapter 6: Shadow Game
Chapter 7: A Pitch Black Duel
Chapter 8: Joey's Resolve
Chapter 10: Creator vs Champion
Chapter 11: Duel Identities
Chapter 12: Keith's Machinations
Chapter 13: Best of Friends, Best of Duelists
Chapter 14: Match of the Millennium
Chapter 15: Aftermath
Chapter 16: Legendary Heroes Pt 1
Chapter 17: Legendary Heroes Pts 2 & 3
Chapter 18: Dungeon Dice Monster Pt. 1
Chapter 19: Dungeon Dice Monsters Pt 2
Chapter 20: Stepping Out
Chapter 21: Stalked By Rare Hunters
Chapter 22: The Master of Magicians
Chapter 23: Mime Control
Chapter 24: Rescue and Friends Till the End
Chapter 25: Let the Finals Begin
Chapter 26: The Dark Spirit Revealed, Pt 1
Chapter 27: The Dark Spirit, Pt. 2
Chapter 28: Story Time
Chapter 29: Awakening of Evil
Chapter 30: Mind Games and the Tomb Keeper's Secret
Chapter 31: Rain vs Marik
Chapter 32: A Virtual Nightmare
Chapter 33: Isolation (Kinda) in Cyberspace and Freeze Play
Chapter 34: Courtroom Chaos and Noah's Secret
Chapter 35: Noah's Final Threat and So Close Yet So Far
Chapter 36: Burying the Past

Chapter 9: Both of Our Resolves

980 35 1
By SnowflakeDragon18

I own nothing.
Chapter 9: The Gift of Knowledge

For an indeterminate amount of time, the group was forced to follow the lead of Bakura through the dark tunnels in hopes that it would lead to an exit. It seems they were getting somewhere considering the tunnels went from a standard cave to actual man made structures.
"So, we gettin' anywhere, Bakura?" Tristan asked. "It feels like we've been walking forever. Just seems like this place is one big maze."
"Pretty sure that's what this is." Rain said, brushing her hand against the wall. "At the very least, these walls are clearly man-made, so we're getting somewhere."
"Do you think someone could be living down here?" Tea asked as their female friend shrugged.
"Who knows?"
"They'd have to be mole people." Joey said as they turned a corner.
Yugi looked concerned. "Look at all these corridors. There must be a dozen different directions we could go."
"Which is why we're following the Millennium Ring." Rain reinforced as their guide suddenly stopped. "Which way next, Bakura?"
"This way!" He said as he ran around a corner. "The Ring is pulling me this way."
"Well, tell it to pull slower!" Joey yelled as they all chased after him.
After a few more sharp twists, the group stopped in what seemed like the center of the maze. Before them was a large room with an arena in the center.
"What is this place?" Tea asked.
"You have entered sacred grounds." A voice called out. "Where only duelists can be found."
Another voice joined in. "Before you pass across this chamber, you must agree to face the danger."
Two men appeared, flipping and sparring with one another, and generally baffling the group who had no clue what was going on.
They spoke together now. "So let the contest now begin. Notify your next of kin. You're trapped and the doors are all locked, you face the Brothers Paradox! Employed by Pegasus as Eliminators to take all your star chip indicators."
Rain raised a brow at them. "Are you sure your names aren't the Brothers Sues?"
Joey high fived her for the burn and looked at his best friend. "Yugi, looks like we gotta duel these goons."
"And if by some crazy fluke you manage to win-," The orange robed brother started as the green robed one finished.
"Why then, a puzzling new test shall begin. For over my shoulder, you see a door, and over my brother's, you'll see-,"
"One door more. The test? A choice..."
"...That you must make."
"But which of these doors will you take?" They both asked.
"One door leads to an endless maze-,"
"Where you will wander all your days."
"The other's path you need."
"Choose correctly and be freed."
"But which door leads out?"
"And which leads to woe?"
"That's for you to guess-,"
"And for the Brothers Paradox to know."
Tea gritted her teeth. "So even if Rain or Yugi win the match, we could still wind up lost in the caves forever?"
"Against us, one mere duelist would be creamed." The orange brother taunted.
"So you must duel as a team." The green brother informed them.
"2-on-2 then." Bakura said.
"This will be a cake walk!" Joey declared. "Yugi and Rain have already dueled as a tag team!"
Yugi glanced at Rain with a serious look. "Rain, can I count on you again?"
She smirked. "Like you need to ask."
The orange brother smirked. "Your partner will not be the knowledge seeker."
"What?!" Both duelists demanded.
The green brother pointed at Rain. "She must match wits with the knowledge keeper."
A trap door suddenly opened beneath Rain. She shrieked as she fell.
"Rain!" Yugi dove to try and save her, but his hand was just short of hers.
"Yugi!" She called back as she plummeted into the darkness.
The abyss curved like a slide, but given the distance they traveled, (Y/N) thought it best she took over. At the end of the demented slide, (Y/N) was dropped into a dark chamber, a ways off the ground. She quickly rolled, avoiding twisting or breaking an ankle. Rain appeared beside her as the spirit dusted off their shared body.
"What a pair of jerks! I bet they only dropped us here because they knew they wouldn't stand a chance against us with Yugi!"
"Perhaps." (Y/N) said, standing up. "They may have also feared we'd figure out the right door. Whatever the case, they're vastly underestimating Yugi and Joey."
The spirit glanced around the room. Once her eyes had adjusted to the dim light, she noted they were surrounded by towering bookcases filled with text, tomes, and even scrolls that seemed ancient. The way they were organized was strikingly familiar to the spirit. She then noted a symbol above the shelves: a spiral surrounding a star, encircled by wings. Though there were no colors, (Y/N) knew the wings were that of a raven, because that is what Rain had been taught. This was the mark of the tribe.
"This...it's a Wayfarer Archive."
Rain blinked. "What!? What's one of our archives doing under Pegasus's island!?"
"Perhaps he purchased this island specifically because it was here."
"That doesn't make sense. Why didn't the family who tended this archive not say anything? We all already know Pegasus has been looking for trouble. This place should have been brought up!"
"The Paradox Brothers said our opponent was the 'knowledge keeper'. So, what does that entail?"
Suddenly, the torches illuminated, though with blue flames that barely brought up visibility. An arena rose up from the center of the room.
"Welcome, young Wayfarer."
Across from the arena, (Y/N) and Rain could make out a woman sitting on what appeared to be a gaudy throne carved to look like laurel branches with owls. A dark robed woman sat haughtily on the throne, smirking. The female spirit immediately felt annoyed by this woman. She screamed arrogance.
"Who are you?"
The woman stood up, intentionally drawing out her strut, much to (Y/N)'s irritation.
"She's wearing an old scholar's robe." Rain noted.
The stranger was tall and lean, with dark locks and gray eyes that studied the spirit's form intensely. (Y/N)'s (E/C) eyes remained narrowed and focused, daring the woman to try something.
"It's an honor to have the great heir to the Wayfarer Tribe in my presence, Rain (L/N)."
"Who. Are. You?" (Y/N) repeated, a bit more threateningly.
"I am Avaria, and this is my archive."
"This is a Wayfarer Archive." The spirit corrected.
Avaria tsked. "What a shame the heir can't recognize members of her own tribe."
She held up the back of her right hand, revealing a blackish blue tattoo of the Wayfarer sigil. In the old days, high ranking or gifted members of the tribe bore the sigil on their right hand to signify their rank. Nowadays, Wayfarers primarily got it simply to show affiliation with the tribe, usually receiving it after their training was completed, typically around the age of 21. Carter had a sigil of his own and Samson and Rain had spoken at length over the summer about getting theirs early. Still, something was wrong with Avaria's. There were jagged scars that gave the appearance that the sigil had cracked. (Y/N) smirked, shaking her head.
"Former member, it seems. Don't think I'm so young that I don't know what the cracked sigil means. You abandon the path of a Wayfarer. You must have done something truly despicable to be exiled."
Avaria's smug look faded into one of disgust and anger. "Ha! I did this myself! The so-called 'Path of a Wayfarer' is an outdated shackle that has robbed the tribe of glory! We were once a great people, the secrets we held could destroy nations and build new ones, yet weak, old leaders clinging to ancient traditions and codes of honor have left us divided!"
"I will not let my tribe be insulted by a cowardly defector!" (Y/N) roared. "Why did you have the Paradox Brothers drop me here with you?"
Avaria smirked again. "To prove what Wayfarers are truly capable of if we were to use the knowledge we gain for ourselves! Rain (L/N), granddaughter of interim leader Carter (L/N), the new master of the Millennium Bracelet, you represent all that is wrong with our tribe: upholding dead traditions, clinging to chivalrous myths about generosity and kinship, and divulging secrets to outsiders, just like that boy, Yugi Muto. You told him about the Millennium Items."
"Yugi holds the Millennium Puzzle. It is my duty as a Wayfarer to guide him to use it for good!"
"Pah! You should have taken it from him! The items are the rights of our tribe! We alone should be the ones to wield their power, not some pathetic outsider!"
"The Millennium Bracelet is the only item of pure Wayfarer descent." (Y/N) corrected. "The other items were forged and wielded by those not of the tribe, or need I remind you of the relationship of the bracelet and puzzle's previous masters?"
The older woman huffed. "As if I would be subjected to such nonsense. That story only proves what happens when we divulge our knowledge, our power, to outsiders. The Wayfarers spent generations collecting the secrets of the world. That knowledge should belong only to us and should be used only for our sake."
(Y/N) closed her eyes, frowning. "Now I see why you were exiled. You believe knowledge is a treasure to be hoarded and used for one's own gain, and that there are only a selected few entitled to it."
"Only those with the strength and lineage should hold that power!"
"You're wrong. Knowledge is a gift meant to be shared, to better the world. Our ancestors were united under a common goal: to protect the world using what they learned and would learn. The tribe has its own forbidden knowledge, but we have fought for generations to suppress ignorance to bring about a better world. That is why we are Wayfarers!"
"Pretty words for one ruled by the past."
"The past is our greatest teacher. It echoes into the present and marks the trail for the future." She opened her eyes. "You brought me down here to duel, did you not?"
"I have no respect for Pegasus." Avaria said. "I fully intend to take back the item he stole, but his little card game tournament not only provided me with a wonderful hiding space for the collection I rightfully took back from my family, but also with the perfect opportunity to dispose of a lesser Wayfarer, take the Millennium Bracelet, and prove what path the Wayfarer's should be following! I have the only key to the path out of here. Defeat me in a duel, or let this be your final resting place!"
"Bold talk." (Y/N) mocked as she stepped towards the arena. "Let's see if you can back it up."
Avaria took her position on the opposite side of the field.
"Let's duel!"

Avaria 2000LP/ Rain 2000LP

"I draw." The former Wayfarer said, taking the first move, smirking at her hand. "I summon Sectarian of Secrets in defense mode."
A purple robed ghoul with clawed hands appeared on the field.

Sectarian of Secrets
700 ATK/500 DEF
"Next, I'll lay down two facedowns and end my turn."

Avaria 2000LP/ Rain 2000LP

"I draw." (Y/N) declared as she glanced at her hand, not having too many options to start with. "First, I'll summon Gumo the Tinkerer in Defense mode."
The dark blob entered the field kneeling on and covering its face with spindly limbs.

Gumo the Tinkerer
600 ATK/400 DEF

Avaria smirked. "What a meek monster. Is that truly the best you can do?"
"Gumo may not be strong, but he is just as connected to my deck as every one of my cards." (Y/N) shot back. "Next I play Pot of Greed, letting me draw two new cards."
Drawing once more, (Y/N) was relieved to see these cards would be well adjusted for a counterattack, throwing one face down along with Dwellers of the Forest, ending her turn.

Avaria 2000LP/ Rain 2000LP

"You've wasted a turn." Avaria mocked. "Your pathetic deck only proves how weak you truly are."
"I wouldn't insult my deck at a glance." (Y/N) warned. "My monsters may not always be the strongest, but together, we're unstoppable."
"We'll see about that. I summon Masked Sorcerer to the field."
A iron masked mage with only its top half floating in the air took to the field.

Masked Sorcerer
900 ATK/1400 DEF

"Next, I reveal my spell, Stop Defense. Looks like your Gumo won't be able to protect you."
(Y/N) gritted her teeth as the spell card flipped up, blasting the monster with a wave of energy, forcing it to stand up.
Avaria savored the moment. "Now, Masked Sorcerer, attack!"
Using its pendulum like a wand, the monster sent a magic blast which blew Gumo to pieces, forcing (Y/N) to cover her face as the first blow of the duel was dealt.
"Now, I also reveal Sparks to deal an additional 200 points of damage to your life points."
Three fireballs flew at the spirit who held her ground, refusing to flinch in the face of the older woman. The rumbling of the duel seemed to unbalance the already unstable archive as a pillar crumbled, nearly crushing the girl, who had to use her bracelet's power to shield herself.
"Are you insane!?" (Y/N) yelled. "Why are we dueling here if it's unstable ground? We'll destroy all of the records!"
"So what?" Avaria shot back. "I've already learned all I can from this archive. I just keep around to prove my superiority as a Wayfarer. I was honestly tempted to burn it all just so no one else could get to it, but it was far too tempting to duel you here. I'll be rid of it after this is done."
(Y/N) gritted her teeth, disgusted by how little regard this woman had for these books, the combined knowledge of likely generations of the tribe.
"You would destroy the very symbol of your family just so you'd be the only one to retain its knowledge!? You're a disgrace to everything we stand for."
Avaria just looked at her smugly, ending her turn.

Avaria 2000LP/ Rain 1500LP

"You okay, (Y/N)?" Rain asked, concerned as she saw ash on her still ruined jacket.
"I'm fine." The spirit insisted. "Though it seems our friend here likes to play mind games like PaniK and Daemos."
"Aw, what's the matter, little Wayfarer?" The older woman mocked. "Already too phased to fight back? What a disappointment."
"Pride before the fall." (Y/N) shot back. "I draw and summon Howl the Nightcrawler!"
The wolf monster burst onto the field with a chilling howl, its fangs bared for battle.

Howl the Nightcrawler
1700 ATK/1400 DEF

The older woman glared as she saw how powerful the beast was
"Next, I play Envoys of Light and Shadow! Since I successfully summoned a Dark attribute monster, I can summon a Light Attribute monster from my hand to join it. I summon Sein, Eyes of the Forest."
A glowing blue orb of light floated beside Howl, flickering every so often.

Sein, Eyes of the Forest
500 ATK/500 DEF

"A waste of a summon." Avaria snarled.
(Y/N) huffed a laugh. "I would think someone as knowledgeable as you would realize what I'm doing. How shameful for a Wayfarer. Oh, my mistake, former Wayfarer."
The older woman growled, looking ready to throw the duel just to punch the girl. The spirit just smirked at her, daring her to try it.
"Oh, you're really making her mad, (Y/N)." Rain said, slightly proud of her counterpart.
"I will not be lectured by a spoiled girl over a children's game!" Avaria finally said.
"You're the one who demanded a duel from me." (Y/N) argued. "It's hardly my fault we've barely begun and you're already losing your temper. Regardless, it won't help you. Howl, attack Sectarian of Secrets!"
The wolf monster pounced, sinking its fangs into the much weaker monster, dealing a far more substantial blow. As Howl stalked back to his spot, (Y/N) crossed her arms.
"I would think one such as yourself would easily be able to trounce a spoiled child in a children's game." The woman looked ready to kill the spirit again as she continued her taunts. "I'll set a facedown and defer back to you."

Avaria 1000LP/ Rain 1500LP

"At the rate you're going, she's gonna burst like a teapot!" Rain said, seeing how red Avaria's face was with all the mockery.
"Those who parade like peacocks are easy to ruffle the feathers of." (Y/N) noted.
Her partner facepalmed. "Your trash talking is on point, we still need to work on your jokes."
"Joke while you can." Their opponent hissed as she drew a card. "I'll defeat you and leave you here to rot with the traditions you care so deeply about. A kindness, if you asked me."
"As if someone like you would know the meaning of that word!" The spirit yelled back.
"First, I'll summon Witch of the Black Forest."
A three eyed spellcaster with dark purple hair and a serene expression rose from the ground.

Witch of the Black Forest
1100 ATK/1200 DEF

"That monster isn't strong enough to defeat Howl." Rain noted. "What is she thinking?"
"I play Tribute to the Doomed!" Avaria declared. "By discarding a card, I can destroy one of your monsters! Say goodbye to your precious wolf."
Howl was suddenly bound by bandages and dragged into the graveyard, flailing with each step, leaving Sein alone on the field, but not for long.
The older woman grinned maliciously as she pointed at the spirit. "Now, destroy Sein, Witch of the Black Forest."
A dark magic blast came crashing down on the spirit, leaving (Y/N) wide open and dropping her lifepoints down to 50. Again, the archive rattled as dust and debris began to fall from the roof which creaked menacingly. With her victory assured in her eyes, Avaria flipped her hair.
"I'll then switch my Masked Sorcerer to defense mode and end my turn with a facedown. Do make use of your last turn."

Avaria 1000LP/ Rain 50LP

(Y/N) closed her eyes and concentrated. Dwellers of the Forest was now useless without Howl, and she couldn't risk using her Monster Reborn on him just in case Avaria had another nasty trap waiting for her. In truth, she knew the path to victory, but she needed to draw the card that had never let her down. With a deep breath, she drew, seeing the familiar spirit-like monster now in her hand.
Smirking, she set her plan in motion. "I summon Ori, the Forest Guardian!"
Her mammalian-like ace burst onto the field, ready to fight.

Ori, the Forest Guardian
2000 ATK/1000 DEF

Avaria rolled her eyes mockingly. "Too bad he won't get to act. I play Final Flame! This card will inflict 600 points of damage against, wiping out your lifepoints and burying you with the rest of these relics!"
The card flipped up as a blast of fire came charging at her. (Y/N), however, stood her ground, being prepared for it this time.
"Not this time! I play Monster Reborn to bring back Sein!" The little spirit flame reappeared beside Ori, flickering once more. "And since I just special summoned a Light monster, I can now activate my other facedown: Ceremony of the Spirits!"
(Y/N)'s other facedown flipped up to show art of a massive tree surrounded in silver and blue light, illuminating the forest around it.
"With this card, I can disable Final Flame and destroy it!"
The flames halted inches from the spirit's face as the face up card was shattered, nullifying the fatal attack.
"A lucky play." Avaria hissed.
"No, a misplay to satisfy your own ego." The true Wayfarer corrected. "One that will cost you dearly."
"Even if your monster is capable of destroying mine, you still won't be able to drain all my lifepoints. And with only 50 of yours remaining, I can easily wiped them out on my next turn."
(Y/N) smirked. "There won't be a next turn for you."
"What!?"
"Bringing Sein back to the field was for more than triggering my facedown. She's an effect monster, and with Ori on the field, I can activate her effect! I can add her attack and defense points to Ori! Perhaps if you studied this game like you boast, you would've realized that!"
Sein flew over to Ori, circling his body as the white furred spirit was enveloped in an empowering aura, boosting his attack to 2500.
"Gah! No! I can't be defeated by some weakling Wayfarer!"
"Believe it!" (Y/N) yelled. "Your arrogance is your undoing! You should've learned your lesson when you were exiled! Ori, destroy Witch of the Black Forest!"
With a cry, the spirit blasted the spellcaster monster into oblivion, ending the duel.

Avaria 0LP/ Rain 50LP

The blow back from the attack was so strong, it sent Avaria skidding into her own throne. The room then began to shake, this time far more violently.
"It's gonna come down!" Rain yelled, hearing even the support beams beginning to crack.
(Y/N), spying a door behind the throne, ran towards Avaria.
"Come on!" She said, trying to make the woman stand. "We need to leave!"
The dark haired woman grabbed her wrist in a death grip, clutching a bag close to her chest.
"No! I won't allow myself to sink so low to be rescued by a slave to the past! If I can't have the satisfaction of beating you, then I'll have the satisfaction of making this place our shared tomb and denying a future for the tribe!"
Avaria looked up with a crazed look in her eye, only to see the Wayfarer girl glaring down at her, the Eye of Horus blazing on her forehead.
"Even in defeat, you would rather us both die than swallow your pride. You are unworthy to boast the heritage we both share. However, I won't make myself a murderer just to leave you here to die. That would be too easy for you."
Avaria screeched as she felt her mind be tampered with by unseen forces, visions of what may have been had she not chosen to follow the path she did filling her mind, along with the glaring faces of the ancestors whose work was about to be lost for her arrogance staring down at her. As she screamed for mercy, (Y/N) dragged her to the door, fishing out the key from the bag and opening the door. Just as the roof came crashing down, (Y/N) pulled them through, closing the door behind them and only ending up with some dust on her clothes. With a sigh of relief, she allowed her back to slide against the door until she sat, trying to catch her breath.
"That was a bit close for comfort."
"Oh, you think?" Rain said sarcastically, before looking over to the now unconscious Avaria. "I can't believe she was just gonna let us all die in there."
"Some people would rather that than admit they were wrong, unfortunately." The spirit affirmed before searching the woman's bag further.
Inside, she found Avaria's dueling glove and two Star Chips. It seemed the woman only intended to duel them, and then take down Pegasus. What she would've done if they didn't have 8 Star Chips, the spirit wasn't sure, but that hardly mattered now. With a sense of accomplishment, she placed the chips into the last slots on their glove, completing the chain.
"All right!" Rain cheered. "That makes 10! We're all set for the finals!"
"Well, at least some good came out of this." (Y/N) then spied an old piece of parchment in one of the bag's pockets. "What's this?"
Unfurling the scroll, she read out a list of ingredients and detailed steps, not for food preparation, but for forging Damascus steel knives.
"Ha! I knew it!" Rain declared.
(Y/N) laughed, standing up. "Yes yes. We should try to find the others. Hopefully, Yugi and Joey gave those Paradox Brothers a good thrashing."
"I'm sure they did." Rain then glanced at the unconscious woman beside them and shrugged, taking over to let her counterpart rest and going on their merry way. "I'm sure she can find her own way out."
(Timeskip)
Rain could not be sure how long it took her to get out of that maze, just that by the time she did, she was exhausted, especially thanks to the many stairs she had to climb to get out of there. The dark tunnel finally ended at a very elegant door which was pushed open, revealing one of Pegasus's many goons.
"Ms. (L/N), Mr. Pegasus has been expecting you."
Rain glared, not liking the prospect of following this guy into what was most definitely a trap.
"He can wait a little longer for the finals. I have to go find my friends."
"Your friends are currently occupied with a duel being held at the castle entrance. Unless you'd like something 'unfortunate' to occur during the duel, Mr. Pegasus insists you join him for a chat."
Rain growled, not liking her friend's wellbeing being held above her head. Before she could lash out, she felt (Y/N)'s hand on her shoulder.
"Hold your tongue for now, Rain. For now, we should do as he says."
"He's using them as hostages!"
"I know, but this is still his game, unfortunately. There will be an opportunity to wrestle control from him, but now is not that time. We just play along for the time being. If he tries something, we'll be ready for it."
Rain wanted to scream, but she knew her counterpart was right. It wasn't worth it to put Yugi and the others in even more danger just to stick it to Pegasus. Besides, if anyone had the power to at least match that psychopath's, it was her.
"All right, I'll join." She finally told the guard, who stepped aside to let her pass. "But just so you know, if anything happens to them, you're the first person on my hit list, and I'm sure you already know what I did to your coworker."
She felt a glint of satisfaction as she heard the goon gulp. It seems he did hear about that. Still, he kept it together long enough to lead to what was essentially a throne room, and sitting in the king's seat himself was none other than the man himself, Maximillion Pegasus. He smirked as he saw the young woman come in, twirling a glass of wine in his right.
"My my, Rain (L/N), what a pleasure to see you again, my girl. You've grown since last I saw you. I hope you've been enjoying my little tournament."
She huffed. "Cut the chatter, Pegasus. I know what you've been up to."
He feigned hurt. "Oh, you wound me, Rain. I was hoping your grandfather's...let's call it aversion to me wasn't hereditary. I was hoping we could be friends given how skilled you are at my game."
"My gramps was right to be suspicious of you!" Rain declared, crossing her arms. "You've been hounding Wayfarers about the Millennium Items! You even harbored a stolen archive along with an exiled traitor."
Pegasus nodded slightly. "Oh, I suppose that was a bit callous on my part. Avaria was so keen on proving herself and she offered knowledge I was seeking in exchange for the chance to duel you. To think she would eventually double cross. I apologize for you having to deal with such rabble. Don't worry about the archive, I'd be more than happy to restore it, provided you do something for me in return."
"As if I'd help you! I know you're after the Millennium Items, Pegasus! I know you have the Millennium Eye, and that's how you've seemingly been able to predict all your opponents moves, and that you kidnapped Yugi's grandpa so you could lure him here and get his Millennium Puzzle. It's always why you brought Bakura here, for the Ring!"
"How perceptive of you, though I suppose it's to be expected of the heir to the tribe of Wayfarers. Walk with me."
Without much choice, Rain followed him through a nearby door, down a path that seemed to lead to a dungeon.
"Do you know why I seek the Millennium Items, Rain?" Pegasus asked.
"Power." She answered. "I'm guessing you got a taste for it when you found the Eye."
"You could say, but I merely have one goal in mind I need them for: to see the one I lost once more."
"One you lost?" The girl repeated, a little shock that was what Pegasus was after.
The man in front of her became notably more somber, touching the spot where the Millennium Eye was. "Yes, my dearly departed wife Cecelia. I'm sure you could understand wanting desperately to see those you've lost again, like say, your parents?"
Rain felt a flash of anger run through her, covering the empty pang in her heart. "Don't you dare talk about my parents as if you knew them!"
Pegasus held up his hands. "I see, it's still a fresh wound. Your grandfather had a similar reaction when I spoke to him about it. It was a tragic accident, was it not? Or was it one-,"
"Don't. Speak. Of. It." Rain seethed, tears burning at the edges of her eyes.
"I apologize. I understand that pain, Rain. I feel it too every time I think of my beloved Cecelia, as well as the burning rage of the unfairness of it all. Is it so wrong that I wish to see her again?"
"With the way you're going about it? Absolutely!" Rain shot back. "There's a reason a wish has never been made, Pegasus. Something like that could only come with a terrible price! It's probably a monkey's paw! Besides, don't pretend you're some innocent collector. You've been kidnapping people, stealing their souls, ruining people's lives. Mokuba also told me about KaibaCorp! You're nothing more than a thief!"
Pegasus chuckled. "Oh, that's just good business, Rain. I'm sure Carter has had to make cutthroat decisions in his company."
"Don't compare yourself to him. My gramps is ten times the man you'll ever be!"
He waved her off. "Yes, yes, I'm sure you'd think that. Regardless, I do need access to their technology in order to achieve my goals, so a corporate take over is necessary. Moving on, do you know why I invited you here specifically, Rain?"
"You're obsessed with the items, so you also want my bracelet."
"I've heard of its ability to protect its wielder from darkness, and fire it seems. It could very well be useful to me later down the line."
"Sorry to disappoint you." Rain smugly shot back. "The Millennium Bracelet is a bit more picky about its master than the other items, and last I checked, you have no affiliation with my tribe, outside of being a pain in our side. Sorry to disappoint you."
Pegasus let out a mock sigh, stopping in front of a locked cell and facing the girl. "That does disappoint me. Oh well, at least I can take comfort in the fact this conversation wasn't for naught."
"What are you talking about? Why are we down here?"
He smirked, opening the cell door. "Why, to reunite you with little Mokuba, of course."
Dread coursed through Rain as she ran inside the cell, seeing the little boy chain up, his head hung low.
"Mokuba!" She knelt to his eye level. "Mokuba! Are you okay?! Say something!"
Rain gasped as she saw his eyes: a pair of empty void, lacking the slightest hint of life as the boy stood as still as stone. She swung her head at Pegasus, who held up a card with an image of the boy trapped within.
"You monster!"
"Now now, Rain, you are still a guest. I'm afraid Mokuba's...condition was necessary to make Kaiba-boy comply with my demands."
She stood up, wanting to punch this guy out. "Where's Kaiba?"
"Why, dueling Yugi-boy, of course."
Rain growled at him before kneeling back down to Mokuba's level, hoping somewhere the boy could hear her.
"Mokuba, hang in there. I'll make sure you get back to normal, I promise!"
"I'm afraid you won't be able to keep that promise." Pegasus said ominously, pulling out a blank card. "I've come too far to have you Wayfarers get in my way. You should be a suitable hostage to keep the old man and the rest of your people in check."
Pegasus activated his Eye, trying to steal the girl's soul, only for a blast of light to blind him. He stumbled back as Rain rose to her feet, a protective field around her as the Millennium Bracelet glowed. She turned to face Pegasus.
"Nice try, but if you had access to the information I do, you'd know it's pointless to try to use any of the Millennium Items' powers against me. They don't affect the person who wields their older sister."
Pegasus stood up and dusted off his jacket. "I suppose it was worth a try. Still, it's not like you can force me to do anything anyways."
Rain gritted her teeth, wanting to punch him so badly.
"Rain." (Y/N) finally spoke up. "Don't fall for his taunts. We should leave and regroup with others."
"Grrr...fine." She stomped past Pegasus. "I'm leaving."
"I'm sure we'll meet again soon."
She stormed off, furious.
"Rain, getting angry isn't going to help Mokuba or Yugi's grandfather." Her spirit counterpart warned. "We should regroup with others for now."
"I get it. Hopefully, Kaiba will listen to me this time."
Rain ran as fast she could, admittedly getting lost more than once, before being pointed in the right direction by who was likely some poor, unpaid intern forced to be here. Running towards one of the castle's doorways, she spotted a group of familiar people standing in shock.
"Hey! Guys!" She called out.
Tea, Tristan, Joey, and Bakura turned to see her coming, Yugi nowhere in sight.
"Rain! You're okay!" Tea said, relieved.
The Wayfarer skidded to a halt. "Yeah, I'm fine. Where's Yugi and Kaiba?"
Tristan pointed behind them. "Rain, you've gotta talk Kaiba, he's gone crazy!"
"Crazy, nah?" Joey spat. "He's a coward is what he is!"
Pushing passed them, she saw a very uneasy sight before her. A duel was in progress and Yugi's other self was currently in control. Kaiba was his opponent, and he was standing precariously close to the edge of the platform, as if he were about to jump.
"Kaiba." Rain said, fear now seeping into her. "Whatever you're doing, stop."
"Keep your nose out of this, Rain. This has nothing to do with you."
"Don't speak to her like that." Other Yugi growled. "Rain, are you hurt?"
"I'm fine." She insisted. "I'm more concerned about what's going on here."
"I have to do this, Rain." Kaiba said coldly. "It's either Yugi surrenders, or I fall. It's his choice."
"He's bluffing, Yug!" Joey yelled. "Come on, drop this cheap ploy, get down, and play fair!"
"Joey, he's not bluffing." Rain insisted before turning back to the brunette male. "Kaiba, I know about Mokuba. I will help you any way I can, but you have to stop this. You know this isn't right."
"I told you to butt out!" He yelled at her, rudely. "I don't need your cheap magic tricks!"
"Don't push me, Kaiba." Other Yugi warned. "I must win to rescue my grandfather."
"And I must win this duel to rescue Mokuba. The difference is I'm willing to risk anything to do it."
"Kaiba, you won't be able to beat him on your own!" Rain pleaded. "That's why he put you up to this!"
This time, the male completely ignored her. "You know, I can stand up here all day, Yugi, and I'm certain you won't attack me, even if it means giving up the chance to save your grandfather, which means I have advantage over you, since I have nothing holding me back." He then drew a card, holding it up. "Monster Reborn, which I will use to resurrect the Blue-Eyes Head that your guardian destroyed."
From the slowly melting form of what Rain could only assume was Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon, a Blue-Eyes head suddenly roared to life.
"It has its usual attack points of 3000. With all of your Kuribohs in defense mode, I couldn't attack you, but now that you've put a monster on the field in attack mode, I can take out the rest of your lifepoints next turn. Strike now, if you dare, otherwise, next turn, I swear I'll take you down."
"For the gods' sake, Kaiba, for once in life, swallow your pride and let me help you!" Rain screamed. "It doesn't have to be this way! You're playing right into Pegasus's hands!"
"Surrender, Yugi. That is, unless you have the courage to unleash your attack!"
Rain looked over at the Other Yugi who seemed to be weighing his options.
"(Y/N)." She asked mentally. "What would you have done in this situation?"
The spirit appeared beside her. "Before we started speaking to each other? I would've gone through with it."
A chill ran up Rain's spine as she saw the look on the male spirit's face.
"Oh gods, he's going to do it." Rain thought as she ran to the other side of the field. "Don't do it!"
"I have to, Rain." Other Yugi insisted. "He's not giving me a choice."
"There's always a choice! We don't have to give in to Pegasus's sick game!"
"I'm sorry, Rain. This is the price that has to be paid to get my grandfather back."
"Stop this, you fool!" The male looked up to see (Y/N) now in control, glaring at him. "It will be Yugi who pays the price, not you!"
"(Y/N)." He said, slightly surprised.
"Rain, what are you talking about?" Tea asked.
(Y/N) ignored her, stealing her resolve. "We exist to protect them, but what you're about to do is going to cause irreversible damage, and you're not doing it for him, you're doing to win. Believe me, I know the feeling. I would've done the exact same thing a year ago. I know better now. This isn't your choice to make, it's Yugi's. Let him decide."
"I can't!"
Tea began running up to them. "Yugi, this isn't like you! Listen to her!"
Whether it was Tea declaration or (Y/N) taking the spirit's attention, Yugi seemed to wrestle back control of his body, falling over exhausted.
"Yugi!" Rain yelled, taking back control and running towards him. "Are you all right?"
"Couldn't do it, huh?" Kaiba mocked before ordering his dragon to attack, ending the duel.
Rain comforted a sobbing Yugi, putting an arm over him.
"This isn't your fault." She whispered. "Kaiba played dirty. It isn't a victory for him."
"Rain, thanks for saving me." Yugi said, nearly in a whisper. "From doing...that."
She side hugged him. "Don't mention it."
From the corner of her eye, she spotted (Y/N) staring down the other spirit, neither saying anything. Honestly, she didn't want to hear anymore arguing.
The spirits vanished as the others joined.
"It's okay, man." Joey insisted.
"I almost...couldn't control it."
"Yugi, look at me." Rain said, forcing him to look. "You did the right thing."
"But, the other me, he was willing to-,"
She gripped his shoulders.
"A year ago, (Y/N) would've gone through with it." Yugi stopped crying to look at her. "She's changed now, but she would have done, I don't think I would've had the strength to stop her like you. Yugi, I don't know what they want or why they're here, but they are. We can figure it out together."
"Rain, what the heck are you two talking about!?" Joey asked, half panicked.
Tristan was equally confused. "Who the heck is (Y/N)!?"
Bakura sighed. "Like me, Rain and Yugi have ancient spirits inside them. It has something to do with our Millennium Items. The spirit in Rain is called (Y/N), and she was the one to speak to Yugi's spirit a moment ago."
Yugi was trembling. "I'm afraid of it, the spirit inside me, so afraid, I'll never duel again."
"Yugi, you have the right to be scared." Rain assured him. "Believe me, I was terrified too."
Tea knelt beside him, also beginning cry,
"I'm sorry, sorry about your grandpa, but Rain is right. You did the right thing. You could hurt another person, not even to save him. He wouldn't want to be saved that way."
"Then I guess he got what he wanted." Kaiba butted in. "If Yugi had done what needed to be done, he would be entering the castle, not me, but he was too weak to follow through on his play."
"He spared you!" Tea yelled. "He showed you compassion, which is more than you deserve."
"He lost the game."
"The game?" Tea repeated. "Yugi may have lost one lousy duel, but at least he hasn't lost his heart, not like you, Seto Kaiba! You've spent so much time with your machines, you've forgotten what being human is about! Yugi has a heart, Kaiba. Yugi has us, friends that'll stand with him to the end, no matter whether he wins or loses some lousy game, and what do you have, Seto Kaiba? What do you have at the end of the day? Tell me."
Seto seethed at Tea's declaration, walking up and snatching the Star Chips. "I have all I need."
As he turned to walk away, he suddenly got the wind knocked out of him as he fell to the ground. He was unsurprised to see Rain standing in front him, her fist clenched and shaking, rage painted on her face. Everyone else blinked in surprise, Yugi most of all.
"Let me explain this in words you understand." Her voice was cold and full of malice. "You still haven't beaten Yugi with your own skill. You lost, you know you lost, and that's why you did the single most pathetic thing I have ever seen in my life. Kaiba, if you can't beat Yugi, you're not going to beat Pegasus, and some part of you knows that. But, of course, as always, YOU COULDN'T LET GO OF YOUR PRIDE! This? This wasn't about saving Mokuba, this was about payback, about bandaging your bruised ego and clinging to this obsession that you have to be the best because you're still traumatized about what your adoptive father did to you!"
Kaiba looked ready to kill the girl. "Don't you dare start with me! As if you're one to talk about that stuff, Rain, considering you can't even talk about your parents."
Tears fell down her face as she kept her voice leveled. "Yeah, well I don't use their deaths to justify hurting other people. You're going to lose, Kaiba, and Mokuba is going to suffer because you couldn't accept help. I gave you a choice, and you chose to do this alone. So you get to fall alone. Whatever happens, don't say I didn't warn you. It's no weight on my conscience. I have no pity or sympathy for someone like you."
Kaiba stood up and gave her a hard glare. Joey was ready to run forward and protect Rain in case Kaiba did try to get even, but the CEO just walked past her with a huff.
"You're not a liar, Rain. Don't pretend to be something you're not."
The Wayfarer girl kept glaring at him until he disappeared. (Y/N) appeared behind her again.
"Rain, I promise, we will save all of them, but right, Yugi needs you."
Rain let out a shaky breath. "Pegasus isn't going to let us duel. Now that he knows he can't touch us, he's going to try to get rid of us."
"Let me deal with that. Help your friend."
Suddenly, Joey turned towards Yugi, who was still in shock over Rain's violent outburst.
"It's okay, Yugi. You just lost a few Star Chips is all. Take mine. I owe you big time for ever getting me this far. Take 'em."
"But, Joey." Bakura interjected. "What about-,"
"My sister? Sure, she needs my help, but Yugi's gramps is in danger right now. We got to get Yugi into the castle. Come on, pal. What do you say? Let's go kick Pegasus' sorry butt and get your grandpa back. Go on, Yugi. I want you to have them."
Yugi didn't move, likely still not trusting himself.
Joey grabbed him by the collar and began shaking him. "Come on! Snap out of it!"
"Joey!" Rain snapped at him.
"I'm trying to help you out here! Pull yourself together!"
"Take it easy, Joey!" Tristan scolded.
"Rain, you have a spirit." Tea pleaded. "Talk to him."
Rain sighed. "Tea, it's his choice. If he doesn't trust himself enough to duel, I can't do anything."
"But-,"
"Huh. If this is how you treat your friends, I can't wait to see how you treat your enemies." A familiar voice greeted.
The girls turned to see a familiar blond woman smiling at them.
"Mai!" Tea said, surprised.
She waved. "What's up? If you've got enough Star Chips to get into the castle, why are you hanging out here?"
"Kaiba took his chips." Joey explained. "And now, it's like he's lost the will to go on."
Mai blinked. "So the little guy finally lost one, huh?"
"More like got cheated out of it." Rain huffed.
"Really?"
"Think what PaniK did to you, only forcing Yugi to pick between his morals or winning."
Mai tilted her head to the Wayfarer girl. "Well, lucky for you guys, I came by. Okay, listen up, especially you, Yugi. You got beat, but that doesn't mean it's the end of the world. When I got beat, I thought it was all over for me, too."
"It's a little more complicated than that, Mai." Rain half said, only for Tea to elbow her as the older female continued her pep talk.
"But you and Rain stepped in and saved my Star Chips. So now, I'm returning the favor."
Mai held out several Star Chips.
Tea blinked. "No way!"
"What about you, Mai?" Joey asked.
She rolled her eyes and smirked. "I'm not being stupid. These nine are spares, but I know you got the skills to get the last one. Take them, Yugi. I owe you and Rain."
Yugi stared at them, still not moving, frustrating Mai.
"Fine! Then I'll keep them and your wimpy friends can whip your nose all the way back to the nursery. Grow up!"
"Like I said, it's a bit more complicated than losing, Mai." Rain interceded.
"Yugi loses one lousy duel, and now he's too chicken to play again, isn't that right? How pathetic." Nothing seemed to get through to the smaller male. "Duel me for the chips. Now!"
"I'll do it." Everyone turned to Tea who had her deck already out. "I'll duel you, right here, right now."
Mai flinched, this not exactly being what she had in mind. "Come on, be serious. An amateur like you doesn't stand a chance."
"Would so!"
"Hon, it's sweet you standing up for Yugi and all, but sweet doesn't win duels. Now, I'll ask you one last time: are you sure you want to duel me?"
Tea nodded.
Tristan looked at Joey. "What do you think?"
"I think Yugi's in good hands." He admitted. "Cause everything's riding on this one match."
(Timeskip)
Tea, to her credit, did end up winning the day and her words about friends being able to lean on each other seemed to break Yugi somewhat from his daze. Of course, Mai throwing at the last minute didn't escape Rain or (Y/N)'s keen eye, but neither said anything as she handed the Star Chips over.
"I didn't need these anyways." The blonde woman brushed off. "Good match."
Rain had quite the smug look as she began to walk off. "Mai..."
"Not a word out of you, shortie."
Rain chuckled. "Softie."
"Wait, Mai." Yugi finally spoke. "I have to ask you something. Wasn't the last card you-,"
"A throw away." Mai lied. "It was nothing that Tea wouldn't have been able to beat. Some cards just aren't worth playing, huh, Yugi? Anyways, there's only nine chips in that pile. Get a move on. Don't let Tea's work go to waste."
"Yugi?" Tea said, getting his attention. "I won these Star Chips for you."
He nodded with a smile. "I know. Thank you so much."
"Sure thing."
"I'll never forget what you did for me, Tea. You overcame your fears for me, so I need to have courage to face mine." Yugi quickly placed the chips on his glove. "You're the best, Tea, but I'm still one short."
A hand quickly placed a Star Chip in the last remaining slot.
"There, now you have enough." Rain said with a smile, her own glove missing a chip.
Yugi blinked. "Rain, but what about-,"
She held up her hands.
"Hey, unlike everyone else here, I really don't have a good reason to be in that castle. I only came here as a distraction from...everything else in my life. But, you came here to save your gramps, Yugi, and Joey came to help his sister. If anyone should stay behind, it should be me. Besides, I may have had a run in with Pegasus before that maybe put me in hot water. I don't think he'd let me get to the finals if it came down to it." She grinned and nudged his arm with her elbow. "Doesn't mean I don't plan on sticking around and making sure you get some first class Wayfarer help when the time comes."
Yugi suddenly hugged her, making her face go red.
"I'm...I'm really happy I met you, Rain."
Rain felt like her whole body was gonna short circuit, but something about this hug, about being with Yugi felt...right...familiar.
She returned his hug happily. "I'm glad I met you too, Yugi."
Mai smirked before letting out a whistle.
"Geez, the girl gives up her spot on the finals and the best you can do is a hug? At least give your girlfriend a nice smooch for her trouble!"
The two jumped apart, both red as tomatoes.
"M-Mai!" Rain squeaked indignantly as she heard (Y/N) laughed in her head.
"Ha! Finally broke ya, (L/N)!"
Everyone laughed as Yugi and Rain glanced at each other, before quickly glancing away, though, not without soft smiles.

Yeah, sorry about that main duel guys, I was just not feeling it, so I hope fluffy Yugi and Rain stuff balances it out. I honestly do not know what I'm going to do about original duels in the future, probably gonna stick to duelists with established decks. Points if you can guess who I based the oc duelist on.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

656 16 15
Duelist Kingdom is won and everyone is safe once more. Joey is able to help his sister and save her sight. Upon helping Serenity, Joey meets her frie...
4.7K 57 29
Book #1 of the Love Through Time series Some souls are linked beyond time and space Connected with a magical link through the ages After the ceremoni...
167K 3.7K 14
How long would you wait for your soul mate? After the death of his beloved Queen in childbirth, the beloved Pharaoh Atem swears to find her one day a...
9.6K 427 18
[BOOK 1] Yugi Mutou is seventeen and in his senior year at Domino High. He's quiet, shy, and sensitive. He wonders if he will always have the linger...