Return of the Demon Sovereign...

Par Hopestrife

[BOOK 1] REBOOTED COMPLETED Legends once spoke of Erebus, a great cultivator who stood against an army of dar... Plus

Author's Note
1. The Fall
2. Shadows
3. Broken Brothers
4. Death Eludes
5. A Meeting in Nothingness
6. The Devil's Land
7. Hunting Devils
8. Hunting Devils (2)
9. Hunting Devils (3)
10. Stories
11. Dark Elves
12. Swiftmoore
13. Swiftmoore (2)
14. Swiftmoore (3)
15. Red Seal Mission
17. Tracking
18. Tracking (2)
19. Fighting Devils
20. Crack in Space
21. Meridian Cleansing
22. Prism Mist
23. Djinn
24. Miscalculation
25. The Lieutenant General
26. Lieutenant General (2)
27. A Demon's Blessing
28. A Demon's Blessing (2)
29. A Demon's Curse
30. Amarok Wolves
31. Amarok Wolves (2)
32. The Facility
33. The Facility (2)
34. Phonoi Heart Poison
35. Phonoi Heart Poison (2)
35. Report
37. Phonoi World
38. Phonoi World (2)
38. A Monster's Salvation
40. War
41. War (2)
42. Trust
43. Returning Home
44. Banquet
45. Banquet (2)
46. Blood Debts and Grudges
47. Stargazer
48. Awakening
49. Awakening (2)
50. Night Before the Tournament
51. Tournament Ceremony
52. Tournament Ceremony (2)
53. The Heart
54. The Heart (2)
55. The Heart (3)
56. Core Tournament
57. A Procession
58. Procession (2)
59. Corpse Lotus
60. The Trail
61. The Hive
62. The Hive (2)
63. The Hive (3)
64. Lychgate
65. Lychgate (2)
66. Hive Battle
67. Hive Battle (2)
68. Shared Enemies
69. Shared Enemies (2)
70. Burning the Heavens
71. Kings and Mad Devils
72. Kings and Mad Devils (2)
73. Kings and Mad Devils (3)
74. Throne Room
75. Throne Room (2)
76. Throne Room (3)
77. Declaring War
78. Declaring War (2)
79. Declaring War (3)
80. Assassins
81. Assassins (2)
82. Assassins (3)
83. A King's Declaration
84. A King's Declaration (2)
85. A Hidden Entrance
86. A Hidden Entrance (2)
87. Kurat Hall
88. Kurat Hall (2)
89. Aboros
90. Aboros (2)
91. Titans and Sovereigns
92. Titans and Sovereigns (2)
93. Nether Flame
94. Nether Flame (2)
95. Endings [End of Book 1]
Extra: Celebrating [M]
Extra: Five Years Later
Glossary

16. Red Seal Mission (2)

1.2K 143 20
Par Hopestrife

What Erebus was offering was dangerous. He was to venture out in the unknown alone and search for a small unit of troops. It was near impossible, and the risks were too high.

Still, Halcyon looked relieved seeing Erebus so earnest. "You are new, so you may not know that a Red Seal Mission is a dangerous reconnaissance job. The possibility of death is high. If you want to deliver this information and turn back around, I will be satisfied."

Erebus shook his head. "I did not wish to be a Hunter, so I can just run away."

Halcyon looked troubled. "Something about this doesn't feel right about this mission, though." He turned to the messenger. "Where have the people been taken from?"

The messenger bowed and moved to a large map covering an entire wall. Erebus and Halcyon suddenly appeared behind the messenger, making him jump. He pointed to ten locations, but most were clustered around the north. "These were the first ones we noticed." And then he pointed to several random places around the map. "The last few months have been more random."

"Where are the Amarok Wolves appearing?" Erebus asked. The messenger pointed to a location much further north. Erebus tapped his chin. "No one has contacted Amarok Wolves to know why they are gathering here?"

The messenger shook his head. "No one has a good relationship with them. They do not like anyone who is not of the Spirit Realm."

"They have always been a bit stubborn," he murmured to himself. "How long have the disappearances been happening?"

The messenger gave Halcyon a questioning look, wondering if it was suitable to answer Erebus' questions. When Halcyon nodded, he relaxed.

"We were able to trace back reports from 8 months ago, which is why we're convinced it's not the Amarok Wolves. The Spirit Realm portal only happened to open about three months ago. Unfortunately, that's around the time the disappearances have started to increase and finally caught the eyes of the public."

"Well, even the location is off." His fingers drew a quick pattern, linking the locations of the disappearances found in the north, marking one area in the center. "The Devil Captain's documents were vague and lacked solid waypoints. However, they mention a facility in the ice terrain up north—they said it sat below the blades. The blades could only mean the Broken Sheath Mountains."

He examined the locations the messenger pointed out for the disappearances and combined them with the mountain range. He used his shadows to mark the map like ink, finally circling an empty plain. 

"Using the areas you mentioned before and the documents I gathered from the Devils, the facility should be in this area," Erebus explained. "But they must have someone skilled with teleportation. Do we know anything about the northern Devils, their allies, and what level they are at?"

Halcyon sighed but shook his head. "We thought about teleportation too, but the Devils must rely on runes. They don't have anyone who can help them traffic people so rapidly. There isn't anyone in the Realms who is that skilled."

Erebus had a troubled look in his eyes. "What if one of the creatures the Devils took was a Phase Spider or a Crimson Sphinx?"

Some creatures could open portals, like the Kings of the Spirit Realm, the power Erebus once held. However, Kings had limitations because one side of the portal must always be connected to the Spirit Realm. He could not move from Halrland to Undandfold with one portal, nor could he open a portal to move across the same realm. 

Only two mystical creatures could create portals without limitations or restrictions: Phase Spiders and Crimson Sphinxes.  The Deities had blessed them because of their innate benevolent nature so they could move freely across the realms. 

Halcyon turned pale. "But they only reside in the Spirit Realm. Why... Oh, Deities... the Spirit Realm portal..."

Erebus nodded. "It's possible something happened that forced a portal to open in Undanfold, and a Spirit Realm creature was taken. The Amarok Wolves are probably defending against the Devils to avoid further losses."

Halcyon stepped away and sat down with a heavy look on his face. "This may be more dangerous than expected. Forget Red Seal. This should have been Black Seal mission."

The messenger shook visibly because this meant Halcyon considered this mission ranked the highest priority. "B...Black?"

Erebus tightened his hands into fists. "Prince Leo's team is traveling there now? I can probably catch up to them."

The messenger shook his head. "Prince Leo and his comrades have all been teleported out to a location up north to get a head start. He is with Captain Nash, Heath, Comet, and Claire. Is this not enough?"

Erebus whipped his head around. He didn't know the last one but knew that the other three were the ones he was just drinking with. 

"Teleported? All of them?" He asked curiously.

Halcyon sighed a little. "The King has been holding onto a teleportation talisman. Using one takes a lot of energy, and the distance isn't very far, maybe 250 kilometers."

Erebus nodded in understanding. "Do you have the location they teleported to?"

The messenger shook his head, and Erebus released a discontent sigh. He was compelled to find them.

A strong power spread through the room as he scrutinized the map's details. Erebus turned towards Halcyon to confirm what the surge of power was.

Halcyon's eyes were closed, and when the aura receded, they slowly opened.  "The Oracle has asked that we join them." 

Erebus stepped next to him, and he let Halcyon lead him through the shadows to another office. Erebus' eyes widened when he felt two similar energies: the Oracle he spoke to and the overwhelming shadow from the campsite.

Erebus immediately bowed respectfully.

"Oh? Hal, who is this?" The one with the deep shadow asked.

"King, this is a new hunter named Erebus," Halcyon explained.

When Erebus heard 'King,' he hesitated for a moment. This was the man who was taking care of his precious sect. He could feel the dark elf's sincerity and devotion. It was enough to make Erebus show him the utmost respect, and he dropped to one knee. "Shadow's blessings to the King and respected Oracle."

King Leonis laughed and helped Erebus back to his feet. "I never expected to meet you so soon. A hunter, you say?"

"Captain Castian was kind enough to help me register today," Erebus explained.

"Good, good." King Leonis smiled broadly, knowing they had roped in such a talent. He planned on rewarding Castian.

"King, Erebus brought news about the facility we seek and could be associated with the recent Red Seal Mission." Halcyon quickly interrupted. His tone was troubled, which caused the room to tense.

"I just sent my son there." King Leonis said quietly. "What's happening?"

"He had a plausible theory that has me concerned... The Devils are taking subjects from all races. What if the Spirit Realm's portal was opened forcibly and created a vulnerability for all the realms? What if there is an undocumented kidnapping that we know nothing of—perhaps a Phase Spider or Crimson Sphinx was taken?" Halcyon voiced their conjectures.

The Oracle dropped the stack of papers he held in his gnarled hands. "Deities..."

Erebus stepped forward. "King Leonis, I will go after them, provide this information, and assist with the mission."

Erebus saw the worry etched on the King's face. Having creatures that could teleport and ambush people was troubling. But he could also see a father worrying about his son. 

The King let out a shaky breath. "We have used our only talisman and energy to transport my son and most trusted captains. To teleport you... we can only do it after many days of recovery and obtaining a new talisman. I don't know how long that could be, and communication crystals are inoperable in Undanfold."

Erebus knew this would be the case. When the Titans banished the Devils in Undanfold, they barred any way to communicate within and outside of the realm.

"Where were they teleported to? As long as I have the coordinates, I can follow them and hopefully catch up to them." Erebus urged. He knew the importance of this information and the dangers the young prince was in.

The Oracle pulled out a map and marked a location before handing it to Erebus. Erebus looked it over and confirmed it was about two days away, but with his steed being the descendant of an Aether Horse, he could cut the time down a bit. He could probably meet up with them within a week.

"The Bane Organization has a way of transmitting messages to each other within their cities. It's cruder than a communication crystal, but we can still use it to spread the news of you following the expedition team. We can request that they set up camp to await your arrival. But this means you must stop in every city north to check." Halcyon explained.

Erebus nodded. "We will do it that way and hope for the best. I will also report back to you using this method."

The King raised his hand and placed it on Erebus' shoulder. "I am counting on you to protect my son."

He handed him a token, a coin the size of his palm, with Gramr crossed with a crown. Halcyon saw the token and quickly gave Erebus a similar one. Instead of Gramr, it depicted demon horns identical to the Demon Sovereign's old mask.

The King nodded in approval. "This will help establish your identity."

"I will do everything within my power to keep him safe, King," Erebus said with deep conviction. He pulled out two pieces of parchment and bit his finger, drawing blood. He drew several complicated symbols and embedded his mana into them.

The Oracle gasped. "Talismans!" They had used plenty of talismans, but finding an expert to draw them was challenging. They were typically old monsters hidden away from society, so seeing a child create a talisman so quickly was shocking. 

"If this paper is torn in half, I have met up with Prince Leo. If the other paper burns, I have met my end." Erebus explained and handed both papers to the King. He had some talent in talismans but knew he was too weak to draw a transportation one. This was the best he could do at his current level.

"Forgive my rudeness, but I will be leaving now." He gave the King a quick bow and merged with the shadows, moving through the sect until he was outside. He jumped on his horse and rushed out of the city, alarming the many guards who could do nothing to stop him.

Inside the sect, Leonis was staring at where Erebus had disappeared. "Shadow Stepping?"

Halcyon sighed. "He truly is a gifted one..."

Leonis nodded. "He surprised me when he used the Oracle's Death Throes Illusion and his dominion over the shadows to connect with us."

"He did!?" Halcyon turned red with excitement.

The Oracle sighed. "He did, and not only that, he was considerate of the toll it had on me and cut the illusion off forcibly."

Halcyon chuckled. "He even noticed me when I merged with the shadows. That was why I decided to talk to him in the first place."

"His knowledge... skills... talismans... Who is he?" The Oracle asked.

Halcyon sighed. "He is a mystery, but I have a guess who mentored him. Even though it is far too unbelievable to admit."

The Oracle seemed invested. "Your guesses are hardly wrong. Who is so talented to have raised a genius like this young Erebus?"

Halcyon shook his head. "I can hardly believe that I am saying this, but I believe it was the spirit... of the Demon Sovereign."

The air sparked with the intense energy that shook through Leonis when he heard this. "Tell me everything."

It took a while to explain his conversation with Erebus, and it was enough to force the Oracle and Leonis to sit down with shaky breaths.

"The information is incomplete... but it could be true," Leonis said quietly.

The Oracle shook his head. "We know so little of the Demon Sovereign, so we can only guess... Should we ask the Pillars?"

Halcyon laughed lightly. "When he comes back, I want him as my successor."

"What?" Leonis asked hastily. 

Halcyon shook his head. "I don't know what it is about him, but I trust him. Perhaps it's my suspicions of his inheritance, or maybe he reminds me of someone..." his words trailed off as his eyes bore sorrowful nostalgia. 

Leonis squeezed his shoulder. "If he is your successor, will you accept my offer?"

Halcyon sighed. "I suppose it's time I look into being a lazy Duke of the Council. However, I will only entrust my men with the best, and Erebus is the only one that fits my qualifications."

Halcyon had finally found the new general of his Demon Army.

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

4.4K 151 16
**WARNING** ~contains explicit content that may not be acceptable to all viewers. discretion advised~ "No no no no..." My words trailed "NO!!" I scre...
334K 18.1K 116
"You are too overpowered. Your existence poses a great threat to my son and daughter of fate. I had no other choice but to kill you." This was the v...
964K 39.3K 31
[Book #1 in the Blackwood Pack series] Currently in the process of rewriting (it'll be uploaded as a separate book) ________________ ...
506K 22.4K 49
Book 1 He was cast to the edges of his clan. His father could not stand to even look at him. His baby sister probably didn't even know he was her b...