Jay Halsteads daughter onesho...

By MarvelOBanksPDRescue

Oneshots of Jay's daughter Caitlin. Caitlin is just the name I choose. You can call her whatever you want to... More

Introduction
Caitlin Easter Adventure
A Night Without Power
Requests!
Trouble
Incident
First Steps
Hidden Family
A Day With Matt and Gabby
OMG Why Me
A Bit About The Halsteads
Happy Mothers Day
Day on the boat
Go check out this book!!!
Happy Father's Day
Not A Oneshots
Daddy Daughter Work Day
Messing With The Law
Sickness that can't be faked
Caitlin's first beach trip and first words
Caitlin's birth day
Christmas traditions
Daddy's Little Detective: The Curious Case of the Missing Teddy

Shootout

1.8K 23 115
By MarvelOBanksPDRescue

Age: 8

TW: gunshot, broken glass, blood, hospital

Jay's pov:
Time 6:30 pm

I was sitting on the couch watching a Bears game on the TV while Catie was in the kitchen coloring at the kitchen table and eating some fruit. I would glance over at her every so often out of habit. Thankfully, the kitchen and living room are connected. During the commercial break, I got up to get a glass of water. I am drinking water cause I am currently on call. I grab a glass out of the cabinet and fill it up with water out of the fridge and walked past the kitchen table and kissed Catie on the top of the head and asked "You okay," to which she replied "Yeah." As I start to walk back to the living room, I call out and say,"If you need me to come and get me alright." "Okay Daddy," She mumbled back. Just as I was about to sit back down, I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I sit down and see it's Voight. I answer and say "Hey Sarge, what do we got," there is a slight pause before he answers and says, "There is an armed robbery at the bank on Michigan Avenue the suspects are heavily armed and refuse to surrender. They need more officers on the scene," "Alright, I'm on my way." I stand up and walk into my room I change into my uniform, open up my drawer and grab my badge then go to my closet and put in the combination to my gun safe that is at my eye level so Caity can't reach it. I walk back out to the living room and put on my shoe. Caitlin look at me confused and walks over in a soft tone, I say, I've got a case so get your shoes on alright," "Ok," she sat down and I help her put her shoes on then we head out the door and over to the elevator.

Caitlin's pov
Time 6:45

We walk towards the elevator, and I push the down button. We wait for the elevator to open when it does, and we wait for the people inside to get off and then walk in. It is a little crowded, so Dad grabs my shoulder and pulls me closer to him so I don't get in someone's way. A lady asks what floor we are going to, so Dad tells her we are going to the lobby. She pushes the button, and as soon as we start moving, I grab onto Dad's hands, which are still securely on my shoulders cause I hate elevators. We live on the twelfth floor, and we stopped four times on the way down, so it took a little longer than normal. As we are walking through the lobby, I ask Dad if I can say hi to Marcus before we leave. "Yes, but hurry, we got to go. I'm going to get the car and stay with Marcus," he said. "Ok," I said as I ran over and hugged him and said, "Hi Marcus," "Hi Catie, where are yall of to in such a hurry," He said. I quickly replied, "Dad's got to go to work."Oh, I see. I will see you later than bye," he said as he saw Dad's truck pull around. "Bye," I replied as I ran off to the truck. I hopped into my booster seat and buckled up, and Dad asked if I was ready. I said, "Yep." He drove to the scene, and I could see all my aunts in uncles from Intelligence. As soon as Dad parked, I unbuckled and was about to hop out when Dad stopped me by saying, "No, you're staying in the car alright." Alright," I say, a little sad I can't say hi to my dad's friends. I stand in the middle behind the console and Dad hands me my iPad and headphones when did he grab them I didn't see him grab them when we were leaving and it doesn't stay in the car. I was a little confused but accepted it gratefully and sat it in my seat. Dad leans over and kisses my cheek and says, "Love you." I give him a big hug and say, "Love you to be safe, please." I pull out of the hug, and he kisses my forehead and says, "Always am. Put your headphones on, please."Ok, Dad, go be my superhero." He makes sure he has everything then walks over to Papa Hank, and they start talking. I put on my headphones and start playing Kirby.

Jay's pov
Time 7:25 pm

I parked a block away, so Caitlin should be fine. I walk over to Voight and say, hey Sarge any update?" "They are 8 armed robbers inside, and they are refusing to come out. There are still 7 civilians inside. I need you to get the other sniper and go on the other side and be ready for anything. He says as we walk to the scene. I walk over and grab the sniper and walk toward my spot and wait. As I wait, I can feel the tension in the air rising. This is a dangerous situation, and the robbers are heavily armed. I check my equipment and make sure everything is in order. I take a deep breath and focus on the task at hand. I need to be prepared for anything and everything. As I wait, I think about Catie in the car. I always worry about her when I'm on a case. But I know she's safe in the car with her IPad. Finally, after what seems like hours, we get the signal to move in. I aim and wait for my command. As intelligence moves in, I hear movement and shouting. Two of the robbers make a run for it, and I take one down with the sniper as they aim at Kevin. As I was about to shoot the other one as he aimed at Vanessa, I saw a third robber headed in the direction of my truck. I quickly shot down the other robber and ran after the one that was getting away. My heart sank to my stomach as I heard gunshots ricocheting off the truck. I froze. I pick up my pace and run as fast as I can toward my truck. I get there and see the guy running away, but I don't care. I let him get away. I need to get to my little girl. There is glass shattered everywhere, and I see the blood I pray to God it's not Catie's. As I'm about to open the door, I see Voight, Antonio, Kevin, and Kim running over. I do see two patrol officers running after the suspect that is getting away.

Caitlin pov
5 minutes earlier

I was sitting in the car waiting on Dad. He had been gone for a little while, and I was starting to worry. 'I haven't heard anything bad yet, so maybe it's ok...' I thought, but soon after, I thought that I heard a gunshot and jumped. It's muffled by the music playing from my headphones, but I still hear it, and to be honest, it scared me. Just as I thought something bad had happened I saw a figure walking towards the car I figured it was my dad or someone from intelligence coming to tell me it was okay so I leaned forward ready to guess who it is but as soon as I lean forward I see a man I don't know. He's wearing a black ski mask and all-black clothes, and I see a gun in his hand. I didn't think he saw it, so I laid down on the floor, but just my luck he did, and he started shooting at the truck. I covered my head as Dad and Uncle Will showed me. I could feel glass cutting my arms and my legs. I was so scared I was crying and covering my ears. I heard one last gunshot before I felt warm liquid seeping down my side.'Why is there so much blood from just glass...' I thought. I suddenly felt like the car was spinning. 'I'm scared, I don't know what's going on, I want my daddy...' The next thing that happens is a blur. I hear a door open before I feel arms around me, and I'm picked up at sat on the grass. I cry out in pain as I feel a slight pressure on my side, and I hear my dad whisper, "It's ok, Catie Daddy's here, you ok. Stay awake for me, ok?" "Daddy," I say before letting out a cry of pain as I feel a stabbing pain shoot up my side. The last thing I heard before darkness consumed me was my dad saying, "I love you, Catie."

Kevin's pov
20 minutes earlier

Me, Sarge, Kim, and Vanessa had all gone inside to catch the robbers while Hailey and Adam stayed with Antonio and Jay to watch their backs. Me and Vanessa went through the front while Kim and Voight were coming around the back. We took down five of the suspects, but three slipped out, so I started chasing them with Vanessa not far behind me. Just as I caught up to them, they turned and started shooting at us. I didn't have time to think as the first one fell to the ground, and then the second one fell shortly after. I looked around for the third offender but didn't see him anywhere. It took me a moment to register the face of the person who just ran past me but soon realized it was Jay. My first thought was he must be chasing the last guy, but oh, was I mistaken? I'm a little over a quarter of the way behind Jay when I hear gunshots. I freeze, and so does Jay, but just as fast as we freeze, we pick up the pace again, running faster than before When I finally catch up to Jay, I see why he was running so fast he wasn't trying to catch the guy he was worried about Caitlin. I didn't know she was here. I pick up my radio as Jay is pulling Caitlin out of the truck and say, "This is 5021 David. I need an Ambo at my current location. There is an 8-year-old girl her name is Caitlin Halstead she has a gunshot wound on her side." Shortly after I hear,"Copy that rolling and ambo your way." The unit must have heard cause a few seconds later I see Voight, Kim, and Antonio a couple of seconds later I see Vanessa, Adam, and Hailey running over with the paramedics Gabby and Sylvie. They get her on the stretcher and get her in the ambulance.

Jay's pov
Time 8:10

Gabby wheels Caitlin into the back of the ambulance, and I hop in after as soon as I am seated, I grab Catie's hand and squeeze it gently. I am freaking out on the inside, but I show no emotion. I have to stay strong for her. As I am sitting in the ambulance, staring at the blood on my hands. I think back to how I could have prevented this. There are dozens of ways I could have taken her to Mouse's he's home or let her stay with Hope and her husband our neighbors or the district and let her stay with the officers there or left an officer I trusted by the car or even taken her to Trudy she doesn't live far from me. My thoughts are spiraling as I can't help but feel a little selfish that I wish this was someone else's kid in this situation, not mine. When we finally arrived, I was almost in a full state of panic. We got out of the back of the ambulance, and they started to wheel Catie away with me not far behind. As the doors open, I can barely make out what Gabby is saying, "Caitlin Halstead, 8-year-old female, GSW to the stomach and major lacerations on her arms and legs Was unconscious before we got there."

Will's pov
Time 8:35

I was looking over some charts Maggie just gave me. I hear Maggie say, "Halstead trauma 3, Gabby, what have we got?"Caitlin Halstead, 8-year-old female, GSW to the stomach and major lacerations on her arms and legs. Was unconscious before we got there." I was shocked by what Gabby just said. My niece was shot. When, where, how, all these questions were spinning around in my head I didn't even realize that Maggie had handed her off to Marcel or that Jay was yelling at Maggie for not letting him in until Jay punched Earl. I snapped out of my thoughts and wrapped my arms around Jay's back, pinning his arms in place, and repeatedly told him to calm down as he struggled against me. When he finally calmed down, I let him go and asked Earl if he was OK. He said, "I'm a security guard. Will it's not like I've never been punched." I laughed a little, and he looked at Jay and said, "Detective Halstead, don't go punching any more people alright." Jay just nodded slightly and went back to watching Dr. Marcel works on helping Catie. I slowly led Jay out to the waiting room, where I saw Voight standing in the corner. Vanessa, Hailey, Kim, Kevin, and Trudy, along with Mouch, sat in chairs talking. Mouse and Adam argue about something while Antonio tries to calm them down, standing by the vending machine. As soon as they hear the doors open, they all look over. Jay walks to the far corner away from everyone. They all walk over to me. I  realize Jay doesn't want to talk, and the team asks if she's okay. I tell them I don't know and ask, "What happened." Kevin explained what happened, and I went back to work.

Jay's pov
Time 10:00

I had been sitting here for two hours. Most of the intelligence has left. All that's left is me, Hailey, Kevin, Mouse, Antonio, and Voight. Antonio was saying his goodbyes cause he needed to get home to his kids when Will walked in with Dr. Marcel. We all stood up and walked over to them. I quickly asked, "Is she ok." Dr. Marcel replied, "She had a few major lacerations that needed stitches, and we had to do emergency surgery to remove the bullet. She will need lots of rest. I will take you to see her now. We walk to her room, and I see her hooked up to all these machines. She looks so peaceful right now. I kiss her head, and I see her eyes start to flutter open. She looks up at me with tired eyes smile and whispers, "Daddy," "Hi baby, how do you feel," "My tummy hurts. Can you lay with me," she says with a small pout and then a small smile. "Alright, scoot over."Yay," I help her scoot over so she doesn't lay on anything that's connected to her, and eventually, she falls asleep.

A/n: Man, I did not expect it to be that long, but man, 2614 words. I would like to know what you think of this one because it is my favorite so far. Should I make a short part two about the recovery? I just realized I've got 126 reads wow.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

82.5K 934 21
Laura is a 13 years old girl whose father is a criminal. What will happen to her when the Intelligence Unit needs her to do an undercover mission to...
42.1K 581 44
A bunch of one shots and mini stories relating to one Chicago characters Mainly lots of fluff haha Open to requests! Just send a scenario and a cha...
8.6K 189 26
Erin Lindsey and Jay Halstead are both detectives who are engaged now. Erin has a 5yr old daughter from her previous bf who's never been involved and...
41.3K 818 30
This is a book of one shots that takes place in an alternate universe where Jay and Will are the guardians of their little sister, Tess. I will alway...