Saviour of Magic

By GAMERWHITEDEVIL

By Colt01 From:Fan fiction.net An intelligent, well-trained Boy Who Lived comes to Hogwarts, startling everyo... More

Prologue
Welcome Home, Harry
Sorting and First Impressions
A Shocking Discovery
A Leap Forward
For the Greater Good
The Duelling Champion
The Second Year Begins
P-P-Parselmouth?
A Union and an Attack
Daphne's Helping Hand
The Chamber of Secrets
A New Ally
A New Family Discovered
The Badger Found
Little Brother
Historic Escape
The Minister of Magic
Godric's Tale
The Quidditch World Cup
Back to the Chamber
Harry vs Hermione
The Fourth Champion
The First Task
Romance and a Book Release
The Yule Ball
The Second Task
The Dark Lord's Offer
The Aftermath
The Order of the Phoenix
Regulus' Secret
Apprentice Potter
The Defence Association
The Attack on Potter Castle
The Babbling Banshee
The Battle of Hogsmeade
Father and Son
The Final Battle
Awakening of the Clan
Destiny Revealed
The Start of a Revolution
Parents and Children
The Union of Two Souls
Meeting the Mentor
Knowledge is Power
The Obscurial Bunker
Creation and Destruction
The Grand Sorcerers
Allies Revealed
Prophecy and Politics
Change in Leadership
Stepping out of the Shadow
The Curse of Magic
Costly Mistakes
The Secret Ousted
The War Begins
Endgame
Epilogue:Mortals to Gods

Hello, Dogfather

5.6K 156 8
By GAMERWHITEDEVIL

In the first week of December, the Wizengamot was in session again. Amelia Bones was prepared for this. The woman really knew how the political sphere worked. She had subtly transferred Sirius from Azkaban to a D.M.L.E. holding cell without anyone other than her most trusted Aurors knowing about it. Harry himself would be going to the meeting as a spectator. All he needed was permission from Professor Flitwick and he would get that once he showed the summons from Madam Bones herself.

So on the fifth of December, Harry found himself wearing an expensive set of robes with the Potter crest prominently displayed on his chest. He let Professor Flitwick lead him towards the front gates from where he used the Portkey given to him by Madam Bones which immediately led him to the Ministry of Magic. The welcome desk had a man sitting there.

The wizard asked in a bored tone, "Wand, please."

Harry passed his polished wand to the man who placed it on an instrument. "Fourteen inches; Yew with Thunderbird tail feather; used for four months?"

"Yes."

The man's eyes bulged in shock when he saw the crest on Harry's robes. His eyes darted to the faint scar on Harry's forehead, seeking confirmation. "You – you are –"

"Thank you for your services," Harry said quickly as he took his wand back, walking towards the golden lifts.

He exited at the appropriate level and entered the Wizengamot chamber after showing the security wizards the letter Madam Bones had given him. He ascended to the seats present for the visitors and watched as various members of the Wizengamot wearing plum-coloured robes moved towards their respective seats. Madam Bones nodded to him as she entered the chamber. The Chief Warlock was quite surprised to see him there. When Amelia cleared her throat, Dumbledore blinked his eyes to regain his bearings and began.

"Winter session of the Wizengamot on the fifth of December 2001 is now being called into session," said Chief Warlock Dumbledore. After he went through the necessary ceremony, he passed the floor to Madam Bones who had requested to speak.

"Members of the Wizengamot," she began, her voice booming. "While I'm aware that this is a legislative session, I hate to bring something of judicial nature into this which has been recently brought to my notice. Ever since I was appointed the Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement seven months ago, I have been going through the records of all the old cases which were to be filed away. That was when I found this."

She took out a very thin black file and flicked her wand at it. Multiple copies were distributed to each of the members of the body as she continued. "This is the file that pertains to one Sirius Orion Black who has been denied a trial for the last ten years."

Pandemonium ensued. Dumbledore frowned. Why did Amelia bring the issue of Sirius' imprisonment now? It had been ten years; surely Sirius would have lost his sanity. He now remembered that Sirius and Amelia had been engaged before the former was thrown in Azkaban. He cursed himself for forgetting that, but also knew that he had taken necessary steps to ensure that nothing was brought to light. It pained him that an innocent man had to be sent to Azkaban, but there had been no alternative. He had not wanted Harry to grow up as a pureblood prince (which admittedly, he was anyway, but that was beside the point). He would just have to ensure the trial was inconclusive.

"How could you support that traitor?" shouted someone in the Wizengamot.

"Members of the Wizengamot, I'm only doing my duty!" shouted Amelia in fury. "I am the Head of the D.M.L.E. and it is my job to ensure that justice is carried out. A man was thrown in Azkaban without a trial for ten years. It is against the law!"

"Martial Law was in place then, Madam Bones," said Barty Crouch testily. "Besides, Black confessed to the crime himself. Everyone knows he is guilty!"

"That's not an excuse," snapped Augusta Longbottom. "Martial Law did not give you the power to throw people in Azkaban without due process, Mr Crouch. Where is the evidence for his crime? This file is useless in determining his guilt!"

"Albus Dumbledore also stated that Black was the Secret Keeper," cried another member angrily. "He is a deranged mass murderer! Send him back to the Dementors!"

"That cannot be done, Mr Doge," replied Amelia. "Every person has a right to a trial. It is one of our fundamental laws. We can't ignore them when we feel they aren't necessary!"

"Are you sure this case isn't personal in nature for you, Madam Bones?" asked Lucius Malfoy smoothly. "After all, it is well known that you and Sirius Black were engaged before his imprisonment. I wonder where your loyalties truly lie."

Albus Dumbledore didn't even have to say anything. The rest of the Wizengamot was doing his work for him. He knew that Sirius being exonerated was bad for everyone. The liberals or the 'light' side would take the brunt of the calamity, while the traditionalists or the 'dark' faction knew they were in big trouble if the Black family were to gain strength once more. Lucius Malfoy was determined to make Draco the next Lord Black, so Dumbledore and Fudge calmly watched the proceedings, maintaining their silence.

"Members of the Wizengamot," said a loud, booming voice. Everyone turned in surprise when they heard the voice of a younger boy. Harry Potter was calmly standing before them.

"I am Harry James Potter, the godson of the very wizard who you all are talking about," he said quietly, though his voice was heard throughout the room thanks to the Sonorus charm. "I'm deeply touched that all of you care so much about my family that you are not willing to let the betrayer of my parents go scot free. I too would be very angry if the man who was my father's best friend betrayed them to Lord Voldemort."

People flinched at the name, but Harry continued.

"However, in this case, I would like to know the truth. Would you deny me the right to know the reason as to why Sirius Black seemed to have betrayed my family? I'd certainly like to know because it would give me a sense of closure. Members of the Wizengamot, I appeal to you to help me finally put this matter behind me at last."

An old man scoffed. "Who are you, boy, to speak to us like that? You are merely a –"

"I'm merely a first-year student, yes, I know," said Harry, his tone slightly colder as he focused his stare on the old man. "Please keep in mind that you are currently sitting in my seat, Mr Ogden. I took up the headship of my family, as per our laws, on my eleventh birthday. Your appointment was never notified to me. Your contract should have been ratified, but it wasn't. Your very presence here is not as per the law. While I can't stop you from being here, I do hope my guardian, the Chief Warlock, who appointed you, does uphold the law as he is mandated to do."

"I'm the only one alive who has vested interest in this case. I was the one who suffered because of the betrayal that led to my parents' deaths. For the past ten years, I have been hailed as a hero, named the Boy-Who-Lived and celebrated as the person who defeated Lord Voldemort. I've never asked for anything in return. But today, I come before you all to request that you grant Sirius Black a trial. I want answers from the man who supposedly betrayed his best friend. Could this body not listen to the pleas of an eleven-year-old orphan whose parents died for the people of this country? All I am asking from you is one trial ... nothing more."

The members of the Wizengamot were all silent. Some of them were looking ashamed while others looked thoughtful. Dumbledore frowned as he said, "Now Harry –"

"I believe it is Mr Potter, Chief Warlock," corrected Amelia quietly.

"Mr Potter," Dumbledore corrected himself. "I believe you are too young to understand the workings of the political world. I didn't even receive a notice that you were out of school. Mr Ogden was appointed as a proxy by me. As your magical guardian, I have that right. Please do not worry. I shall ensure that the contract which appoints him as your proxy is ratified."

"Besides, I didn't know about you claiming headship!" said Ogden heatedly.

"That is not Mr Potter's fault," Madam Marchbanks said, frowning at the man. "A notice would have been automatically been sent to the Ministry when he claimed headship."

"We are getting away from the business at hand," interrupted Augusta Longbottom. "We are here to oversee the trial of one Sirius Black. You may object all you want, but the fact remains that no one can be denied a trial as per international magical law. Have you forgotten that, Your Excellency?" she asked pointedly while addressing Albus Dumbledore, the Supreme Mugwump of the International Confederation of Wizards. "I.C.W. laws and regulations aside, a trial is a fundamental right which was decreed by King Arthur and Lord Merlin themselves! It cannot be ignored."

That was a clever move, thought Dumbledore as he mentally cringed. Bringing the last and beloved magical king of Britain and his trusted advisor into the picture ensured that it wasn't questioned. Amelia nodded to an Auror who escorted the frail form of Sirius Black into the chamber. Before anyone to object, she stood up and said, "Attorney for the defendant, Amelia Susan Bones."

People started murmuring and Sirius' head snapped up as he saw her, his grey eyes wide in surprise. Amelia stood next to her fiancé as Dumbledore began reading the charges which comprised of being a Death Eater, betraying the Potters to Voldemort, and the deaths of Peter Pettigrew and a dozen Muggles.

"How do you plead, Mr Black?"

"Not guilty of all charges," rasped Sirius.

"I believe my client has the right to defend himself," Amelia said. "I would like to hear the defendant say what happened in his own words."

Sirius looked like his birthday had come early. He quickly spoke about the attack on Potter Manor by the Death Eaters, about how James and Lily had decided to go under the Fidelius Charm on Dumbledore's suggestion, about how Peter Pettigrew was chosen as the Secret Keeper, about how he checked up on Peter that night but found the place deserted, how he arrived at Godric's Hollow to find the place in ruins, how Hagrid had demanded that Sirius hand over Harry to him, how he had gone after Peter and how the rat had escaped.

After several seconds of silence, Barty Crouch began yelling. "Preposterous! There is not a shred of proof to support your theory. You admitted that you killed them!"

"I did no such thing!" snapped Sirius angrily. "I as good as killed them because it was my idea to use Peter as the Secret Keeper. It was a perfect plan to throw Voldemort off their trail. None of us suspected Pettigrew to be a Death Eater!"

Amelia cleared her throat. "There is evidence, Mr Crouch, if you know where to look."

She took the cage from the Auror and reversed the transfiguration on the Animagus. People gasped as Peter Pettigrew appeared in front of them. Dumbledore's eyes widened. Where the hell did that man come from?

"Since Mr Pettigrew has officially been declared dead, there are no laws barring the use of Veritaserum. That is the only way we can prove his identity."

"I agree," said Lord Greengrass, looking interested. "Go ahead, Madam Bones."

Dumbledore felt like rubbing his temples as he realised that he had lost this round. He didn't focus on Pettigrew but he focussed on the eleven-year-old boy who was sitting in the seats meant for the visitors. Harry had done this masterfully. He was quite proud of the lad; very sneaky of him and Amelia Bones to do this right under his nose. Dumbledore sighed as he saw the shocked expressions on the faces of many members. The former Death Eaters weren't shocked; they all knew the truth.

"There is one other matter which provides information about Sirius Black's innocence," said Amelia. "I believe it is time we unsealed the Will of Lord James Potter."

People began whispering as Augusta stood up and said, "Seconded!"

When others saw Cyrus Greengrass nodding along, they whispered louder. Dumbledore, of course, did his best to not let the motion pass. He knew what was in the Will and he didn't want it to come to light. He explained how there was delicate information which could harm Harry Potter, but Cyrus Greengrass rebutted saying that a will of an Ancient House could not be kept sealed after another Head of House had taken his position. Since Harry had now rejoined the magical world, there was nothing in the Will that could be harmful to him any more than actually roaming around in public.

The decision passed by a majority and when it was unsealed, it showed a simple document which revealed quite clearly that Harry was to inherit the entire Potter fortune and properties. It also stated that Sirius was the oath-sworn godfather of Harry and that Peter Pettigrew was the Secret Keeper. The Will also mentioned the guardianship of Harry Potter, which was to go to either Alice Longbottom or Sirius Black, and it was expressly stated that Harry was to never go to Petunia Dursley. This quickly caused chaos, but Dumbledore, being the silver-tongued man that he was, tried to convince everyone somehow that he was not responsible. The traditionalists were incensed and even the liberals were not happy with their Chief Warlock.

"All those in favour of exoneration?" asked Dumbledore.

Several wands were lit as it passed through a majority.

"Sirius Orion Black, you are hereby cleared of all charges. The Wizengamot wishes to compensate you two and a half million Galleons for your unjust punishment. You are also ordered by the Wizengamot to register your Animagus form with the Ministry."

"Peter Pettigrew, you are hereby sentenced to Azkaban for life. Take him away."

Dumbledore looked at his pocket watch. "I believe we have exceeded the time for this morning's session. We shall continue after lunch. This session herby comes to a close!"

As the members slowly shuffled out of the room, Harry moved towards the former prisoner of Azkaban. "Hello, Mr Black," he said softly.

"Who – Harry? Is that you?" asked Sirius shakily, having recognised the emerald green eyes.

"Yes," he nodded. "It's nice to finally meet you."

"He was the one who found Pettigrew, Sirius," said Amelia quietly. "He was the one to push for a trial."

"Thank you, Harry," said Sirius gratefully. "I can't thank you enough."

Harry smiled slightly. "I'll see you during the Yule holidays. Take care of yourself. Thank you for your help, Madam Bones. Good day."

With that, Harry was gone. Amelia just looked at him and sighed. "Come on, Sirius," she said softly. "We need to get you to St Mungo's."

HP*SAVIOUR OF MAGIC*HP

The news about Sirius Black's innocence took Magical Britain by complete surprise. People were shocked that an innocent man had been left to rot in a high-security cell at Azkaban for ten years without a trail. Minister of Magic Cornelius Fudge, ever the politician, blamed the entire incident on former Minister Bagnold and Barty Crouch. Dumbledore too faced backlash, but the man was too influential for it to do any lasting damage to his reputation. Peter Pettigrew was sent to Sirius' old cell in Azkaban.

Music could be heard in one of the abandoned classrooms at Hogwarts. Harry smiled as he twirled Daphne and then pulled her in a dip.

"Wow, Harry!" exclaimed Daphne, smiling at him. "You've certainly improved. I'm impressed."

"I aim to please," he said, a hint of a smirk painted on his face. "So, who all are going to be at the ball?"

"Nearly the entire Wizengamot, I think, not to mention members of several other prominent families as well. There are parties throughout the year hosted by different people, but the Yule Ball is the grandest of them all. There is also a Ministry Ball, but it's not popular."

"I don't like politicking. All the people there just care about my last name or my fame; nothing else. It's so fake."

Daphne simply chuckled. After dropping her off at the Slytherin dorms, he was walking back up when Professor Snape stopped him. The man sneered at Harry and said, "Potter, the Headmaster wished to see you."

"I thought he might," said Harry smirking slightly.

Snape's lip curled but he turned away. He had tried to provoke Harry for months, but he had been unsuccessful. He knew it was useless to try again. Harry gave the password to the gargoyle and stepped inside. He was quite ready for this.

"Hello, Headmaster," he said as he entered. "You wished to see me?"

"Yes, Harry," Dumbledore frowned. "I was under the impression that you would be staying at Hogwarts over the winter holidays, but you have not signed on this list."

"Why would I want to stay at school during the holidays? I'm going back home."

"I assume you have not reconsidered your decision to return to Privet Drive?"

The boy just looked at Dumbledore coldly. "That is never going to happen, so forget about it, sir. Now, there was something I wanted to talk to you about." With that, Harry passed a file with the necessary documents he had filed.

"The accelerated program?" asked Dumbledore, surprised.

"Yes. The current pace at Hogwarts is too slow for me. I don't want to die of boredom. The accelerated program will ensure that I reach my full potential."

"I'm sorry, Harry," said Dumbledore, shaking his head. "But I cannot allow this. The rest of the students would accuse me of favouritism."

"Is it only because of people accusing you of favouritism that you don't want to approve this? Or do you have another reason for denying me a chance to learn and grow? I don't know what your plans are, Professor Dumbledore, but I do know that they involve me somehow."

Harry paused and continued. "I know that it was you who suggested to my parents go under the Fidelius Charm after Potter Manor was attacked the second time. If my parents were smart, they would have gone under the war wards around Potter Castle. The fact that they moved to Godric's Hollow without complaint suggests that something sneaky was involved."

"I also know that it was you who cast the Fidelius Charm on the cottage, so you knew exactly who the secret keeper was and yet you threw Sirius Black in Azkaban without a trial. I may not have proof that is admissible in court, but my evidence is enough for the media. You kidnapped me, the scion of the House of Potter, and violated the Will of the previous Lord Potter knowingly, but that charge won't stick as you managed to wiggle your way out of it two days ago. I also know that there is a prophecy involved about me and Lord Voldemort and that you employed the same man who is responsible for my parents' deaths in this school."

"If people were to know about Severus Snape's involvement in my parents' deaths, what would happen to him? Or your reputation, for that matter? You are a very powerful wizard, sir, but the public would not forget this so easily right after information about Sirius Black's illegal incarceration was revealed to them. And I have not even mentioned the role you played in my placement at the Dursleys. 'Boy-Who-Lived nearly murdered by Muggle relatives' is a very catchy headline and I don't need to point out the international backlash you could face."

Dumbledore sat completely still for a minute. He didn't know how Harry had found out about the prophecy and Severus' involvement in it, but the fact that he had, was dangerous, not to mention suspicious. His eyes had lost its twinkle as he said, "I think the Sorting Hat placed you in the wrong House, Harry."

"I'll sweeten the deal for you, sir," Harry said quietly. "You want me here for the next seven years; fine. Once I finish my N.E.W.T.s, I will stay here until I finish my Master's degree in the fields I want. Professor Babbling has two apprentices, does she not? Professor Flitwick's apprentice just left last year from what I was able to gather. I'm sure this arrangement would benefit both of us."

Dumbledore smiled very faintly. He had underestimated the boy, but he now knew exactly what to expect the next time. It wouldn't happen again; he would make sure of it.

"I'll need to discuss this with the rest of the staff," he said as he looked at the file.

"You can do that after signing that, sir," said Harry stubbornly.

"I'm sorry Harry, but it is not for debate," said Dumbledore firmly. "I will need to talk to my staff and I will let you know once you return for the second term."

Harry gritted his teeth and left, having been dismissed.

HP*SAVIOUR OF MAGIC*HP

The Floo at Greengrass Manor flared up as Harry Potter stepped out of the fireplace. He involuntarily flicked his fingers as the soot vanished. He could immediately see the family resemblance as he saw the beautiful woman in front of him.

"Welcome to Greengrass Manor, Mr Potter," Elizabeth greeted him warmly.

"Thank you, Lady Greengrass," Harry smiled faintly, giving her a wrapped box. "Please accept this gift as a thank you for welcoming me into your home."

Elizabeth smiled as she accepted it and led him to the formal drawing room. When Harry entered, Cyrus got up from his seat and smiled. "Mr Potter, welcome to our home. It's nice to finally meet you."

Harry bowed slightly in respect as per their customs. "The honour is mine, Lord Greengrass," he said while moving to sit on the sofa.

"Daphne hasn't told us much about you, Mr Potter," Cyrus said after a pause. "She said she wouldn't betray your trust by revealing your secrets, even to us. We certainly understand that, and Elizabeth and I are happy that the two of you are getting along, but that hasn't made us any less apprehensive. You've been an enigma, of sorts, ever since that fateful night. I have never put much faith in the Boy-Who-Lived books, but I do have a few questions."

When Harry nodded, Cyrus took a deep breath and said, "I understand that Albus Dumbledore is your guardian."

Harry understood immediately. "There is no need to be alarmed, Lord Greengrass. The headmaster and I share a tense relationship. Believe me when I say I don't trust that man. I'm sure you were able to reach similar conclusions after Sirius Black's trial."

Cyrus nodded. He knew that Dumbledore had something to hide regarding Sirius Black. The old man had clearly known about Black's innocence, but there was no definite proof.

"However," Harry continued, "it is also a fact that Albus Dumbledore, the Supreme Mugwump of the International Confederation of Wizards, is one of the most politically influential people in the world. He is also my current magical guardian, even though he obtained the position using covert means. What you must know is that it is only a matter of time before I have someone else claim guardianship of me. After that, Chief Warlock or not, Albus Dumbledore will not be able to interfere in our affairs."

Cyrus and Elizabeth looked at each other. They were dealing with a cunning, manipulative boy. If they didn't know better, they would say that he was raised by a traditionalist family.

"My lawyers have gone through the betrothal contract, Mr Potter," said Cyrus. "And yes, there is no way out. Daphne may be handling this situation well, but that doesn't mean I would want to condemn her to a loveless marriage. My daughter is a very ambitious girl and I don't want her dreams to be shattered because of this predicament we find ourselves in."

Harry smiled slightly. "I don't expect anyone to give up their dreams for me, Lord Greengrass. I'm also stuck in the same betrothal contract against my will. I'll admit that I was very angry when I was informed about it, but Daphne and I have become friends over the past few months. I'm hoping that our friendship would strengthen over time, but I can assure you that I'm not interested in your daughter because of the money and influence she has to offer."

"You are surprisingly mature for your age," said Elizabeth slowly. "Not many eleven-year-olds would deal with politics the way you do, even for heirs of noble families."

Harry paused, wondering how much to reveal. "I was forced to grow up because of the manipulations of Albus Dumbledore, Lady Greengrass," he explained carefully. "You can read between the lines when I say that a magical child does not belong in a Muggle home. There were several incidents over the years which gave me a new perspective on things. I decided that I would not get crushed by anyone, especially not by the filthy Muggles that I am unfortunate enough to be related to."

Cyrus and Elizabeth were shocked. The Boy-Who-Lived was more traditionalist than anyone realised. Well, maybe not complexly; they didn't know him well enough to figure out his political views, not to mention he was still quite young for them to judge such matters. But one thing was certain. This young wizard was not a champion for Muggles like Albus Dumbledore had claimed him to be, which did ease their concerns a little.

"You say that you were raised by Muggles and yet you behave like a perfect pureblood," observed Elizabeth.

"I escaped my relatives when I was seven years old, Lady Greengrass," he clarified. "I've been living at Potter Castle, my clan's ancestral home, for the past four years. Dumbledore had no idea where I was and did his best to track me down, without success. Had the Ministry figured out that I was missing ..."

He didn't need to finish that sentence. He knew exactly what would have happened to Dumbledore. The public would have been crying for his blood for losing their precious saviour.

"Well, it's nice to get things clarified," said Cyrus, as he stood up. "Please, let us adjourn for lunch."

Lunch for a joyful affair as the Greengrass elders dropped their serious masks and instead, smiled and laughed along with their daughters. Astoria, Daphne's younger sister, was quite astounded that she was sitting next to the Boy-Who-Lived. She kept asking him if he had really slain a dragon at the age of three and done the other heroic things. Daphne laughed when she heard Harry mutter under his breath about 'meeting his lawyers about those books.'

"I mean seriously," said Harry, shaking his head in exasperation. "How can a three-year-old boy tame or kill a dragon? If I spot a dragon, I'll get out there as quickly as possible. I don't have a death wish."

"Spoken like a true Slytherin," Cyrus laughed.

Harry shrugged. "There's nothing wrong with self-preservation. It is human nature. While it's true that I have Gryffindorish tendencies, it's quite rare. I could have been easily sorted into Slytherin, but I like Ravenclaw better. At least people there leave me alone. I don't have the patience to deal with mindless minions."

They all chuckled as they entered the drawing room again. Harry relaxed a bit after spending time with the Greengrasses. He couldn't detect any aura of deceit about them, so he decided to drop one of his masks, temporarily.

"Hogwarts has an accelerated program?" asked Elizabeth in surprise.

"Yes," answered Harry as he took a sip of water. "I would be bored out of my mind in case I had to spend another semester like the last. Sure, I can study on my own, but this is different. The classroom experience does help as they explain the theory better, not to mention I'll learn faster with the help of a teacher. I'm not sure if it's completely possible, though."

"Are you sure that Dumbledore will allow that?" asked Cyrus, his eyebrows raised.

Harry shrugged but didn't elaborate. He didn't owe the Greengrasses any explanation regarding most aspects of his life. He had given them enough information to keep them satisfied, but he wasn't about to reveal more.

A frown formed on his face when he suddenly remembered something. "Oh, I almost forgot," Harry said as he got to his feet and removed a small box from within his pocket. "Lord and Lady Greengrass, since your daughter and I are to be married because of the contract, I would formally like to ask your permission in presenting her with a betrothal ring."

"Of course, Mr Potter," Cyrus nodded, his eyebrows raised in surprise. He had not expected that from an eleven-year-old boy. He was quite impressed with the Potter scion for sticking to tradition, and so was his wife. Harry opened the small box and showed it to Daphne who looked at it in awe.

"This is the betrothal ring that was given by Raphael Potter to his wife, Aradia Peverell, in the fourteenth century," he explained. "It has been in my family ever since. The centre stone is a very rare magical blue diamond and it has several small white diamonds surrounding it. From what I've been told, Aradia Peverell was an enchantress, so there are several protection charms on the ring. I would like you to wear it, Daphne."

Daphne was stunned, but she regained her wits and nodded. She extended her hand and Harry slipped the ring on her left ring finger. The ring flashed as it resized to fit her. She smiled at him, moving closer to give him a gentle hug. Harry stiffened in panic, something which was not unnoticed by the elder Greengrasses, but Daphne pulled back, knowing how he would react.

"Thank you, Harry," she said softly. "It means a lot to me."

"So, what exactly should I do to prepare for this ball?" asked Harry, changing the topic as he took another sip from his glass of water.

"Nothing much," said Elizabeth. "Ensure that you are well-dressed as it is something that is noticed by everyone. The first impression is the best, after all."

"Do you want to announce the betrothal to everyone during the ball?" asked Harry.

Cyrus paused. "That is something which I was thinking about. As I mentioned before, the political ramifications will be huge. We'll have to think about this carefully, but I do think it's better if we announce it at the ball. At least that way, we control it. What do you think?"

Harry shrugged. "I don't really care one way or another. It saves me the time to explain it to others later."

After a few hours, Harry Flooed back to Potter Castle. That night, he and the ghost of Alfred Potter were in the Lord's study.

"A memory?" asked Alfred shrewdly. "A memory that belonged to Voldemort? Are you sure, Harry?"

"Positive, Grandfather," said Harry. "When I heard Snape speak, there was a trigger. I was looking down at Snape; I was Voldemort. It was from his perspective, so it had to be his memory. In the memory, Snape mentioned a prophecy; a prophecy that foretold that a boy would be born at the end of July who would have the power to defeat the Dark Lord."

"Dear Merlin," exclaimed Alfred as he drifted across the room. "Do you remember what I said to you about the elves sensing a possession in you when you arrived four years ago?" When Harry nodded, the ghost continued. "The possession was extracted and destroyed by the elves. We didn't know then whose it was. We thought it was some dark force which had latched on to your magic. That is very rare but possible. But to think it was Voldemort ..."

"Is it possible I somehow tapped into his memories during the extraction ritual?"

"But how is that possible? No, we're missing something. I'm not an expert on dark magic, Harry, so I don't know. And it's not like I can read the books in the library."

Harry sighed as he leaned back in his chair. "Maybe it was a one-time occurrence. I'm going to bed. I need to visit my godfather tomorrow. Goodnight, Grandfather."

"Goodnight Harry," said Alfred as he floated through the wall of the study.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

52.3K 1.4K 45
"She could always help me find light in the darkness." Weakening her, wilting her, a blood malediction poisons her. Astoria Greengrass was never dest...
878K 18.7K 63
Thomas potter is the "Boy-Who-Lived." His fame and future named by the beloved wizard of the light, Albus Dumbledore. But what happens if he made a...
1.4K 33 19
"You would risk your life for this boy?" "I would die for him." Cedric diggory x fem!oc Started-1/16/23 Finished- 5/29/23