What is family?

By serene_fictionist

Angelina Marino The only princess of the Marino family. The world knows her as a princess who has everything... More

Author's Note
CHARACTER SKETCH
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Characters, their relations and ages
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Author's note
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Author's Note
Vince's book - A small peek into it!
A short notice!
Vince's book - A small excerpt
Vince book PUBLISHED!

Chapter 103

6.1K 345 26
By serene_fictionist

Third Person POV

Marino Mansion, Italy

It was the evening of Christmas, but the house was quiet.

Bianca was badly shaken listening to her granddaughter's words and the underlying bitterness in her tone.

When Nina composed herself and proposed to talk to Aria, Bianca declined, saying it was not the right time.

She didn't want to provoke her granddaughter at a moment like the present.

On the other hand, the doctor sedated Aria when she was going breathless and her hands slightly turned cold from panic.

Before Vince could say anything, Theo said he would stay with Arianna and the rest of them could leave.

Dylan and Ash were stubborn and refused to leave her side after seeing her breakdown.

Ace as always settled in the room without speaking a word.

Fio and Luce stayed back too. They were a little shook seeing the painful breakdown of their little sister.

Vince realized he was not welcome and his brothers probably might want him to leave. He felt a little disheartened and left the room, deciding to come stay by his sister's side at night.

Aurelio just stood frozen, unable to shake off the events of the day.

Vince decided to leave the house and catch some fresh air to think properly about his decisions and thoughts.

He walked out of the house and was going to drive by himself, but Cavin requested to tag along for the sake of his security.

Vince nodded and Cavin drove him to the lake side.

Vince stepped out of  the car and walked a long distance towards the lake.

It was almost sunset and the sky was orange in color.

Vince sat a few feet away from the edge of the lake.

He stared at the calm water and the orange sky.

This was one of those places he loved visiting with his mother as a child.

This place had always soothed his nerves, but today, it was only making him increasingly restless.

He removed his blazer and placed it aside and rolled up his sleeves.

He then calmly laid down flat on the ground with one of his hands placed on his forehead and slowly closed his eyes.

The soft breeze and the silence lured him into a dream.

Flashback

"Vince, slow down, you'll fall.", a woman who looked to be in her early thirties called out.

"Mom, it's almost time for the sunset. I don't want to miss it.", a young boy of eight yelled, running towards the lake.

"Mom's tired, hon, slow down.", Claire said, breathing heavily.

That made the boy stop.

"Are you okay, mom?", he asked, concerned, running back to her.

"I'm fine, Vince, I'm just a little exhausted.", Claire said with a smile.

"Let's go home, mom, you need to rest.", little Vince said, worried.

"Don't worry, I will never be tired from spending time with my little warrior.", Claire said with a soft chuckle.

"But-", he tried to protest.

"No buts. I hardly get time with you with Theo and Dylan being a handful.", Claire huffed.

Little Vince didn't look convinced.

"Let's walk slowly, mom.", he said, holding her hand.

Claire smiled gently at her son's concern. He was simply the best. Nina always said he took after her, but her son was much more loving than herself. He loved without inhibitions and she knew she wouldn't have to worry about her kids as long as her eldest son was around.

"We'll miss the sunset if you walk so slow, Vince, let's go.", Claire said with a huff and took off running.

"Mom, you're tired.", little Vince chased after his mother, worried.

Claire laughed heartily as she ran and her little son was trying his best to catch up to her.

She stopped when she was a few feet away from the edge of the lake. Vince reached her and gave his mother a look of disapproval.

"Don't give me that look, I'm not Theo.", Claire huffed, suppressing her smile.

Her son huffed and turned his face away, earning a chuckle from her.

"Let's sit here.", Claire said gently, sitting at the edge of the lake with her bare feet in the water.

Vince followed his mother and submerged his tiny feet in the water.

"Were you upset that I'm not spending more time with you like before?", Claire asked gently, staring at the sky.

"No, mom, you're the best.", he said in his soft reassuring voice.

"But I'm always busy with Theo and Dylan.", Claire complained.

"You said they are still small and need you.", little Vince said, confused, tilting his head in a cute way.

Claire smiled warmly.

"So, my baby doesn't need me anymore?", she asked with a pout, hugging Vince sideways.

"You are always there with me.", Vince said, basking in the warmth of his mother's embrace.

Claire smiled, happy.

"But, mom-", her son started but paused midway.

"What is it, hon?", Claire probed.

"Why don't I have friends? I want to have a friend too.", Vince said sadly.

Claire felt a pang, seeing her son sad.

She knew why people kept their distance from him. He was the heir to their business and people are often apprehensive about approaching her son.

"I don't even have a cousin of my age.", Vince added, upset.

"You will get a really good friend, Vince. When the time comes, you'll get a great friend. It's always not necessary to get friends from childhood itself, you may find one at some point in your life, a friend who'll always be by your side and knows you better than anyone.", Claire explained gently.

"Really?", he asked, excited.

"Really.", Claire chuckled.

The mother and son enjoyed their time under the orange sky and the cool breeze giving the air a soothing edge.

Claire listened to her son talk about everything and anything and she answered all his questions with a smile. 

She never expected her son to be as understanding and mature as he turned out to be. 

She had difficulties during Dylan's birth and Theo was just 5 then. Vince had taken care of Theo even though he himself was just a kid. Claire couldn't have been happier. Her son even explained to his younger brother when Theo was jealous about baby Dylan getting all the attention from his parents. She always wondered how her son turned out to be so mature.

"Vince", she called softly, her hand wrapped around his small body sideways.

"Yes, mom.", he replied, busy staring at the setting sun.

"Despite the situation, despite the fact that who's there or who's not, despite every hurdle, take care of your siblings and protect them always. You should be their superhero.", Claire said softly with a gentle smile.

"But dad is the superhero, right?", little Vince asked with a frown, earning a chuckle from his mother.

"He is. But whether we are there or not, your siblings should still have a superhero who protects them and to whom they can look up to. And you, my little warrior, should be that superhero.", Claire said softly yet firmly.

She knew how dangerous the situation of their family was. She knew that anything could happen at any moment and she just wanted her kids to be ready to face the reality if anything happens.

"I will always protect my siblings, mom.", little Vince said with determination.

"Promise?", Claire asked gently.

"Promise.", her little son promised firmly.

Claire broke the hug and kissed Vince on his forehead softly.

"Don't ever forget to take care of yourself first, Vince.", she said warmly.

Vince nodded and stood up, facing his mother.

"I'll protect everyone in the family, mom. I'll protect you too.", Vince said, determined.

"Then I don't have to worry about anything. My Vince will never break his promise.", Claire said with a hearty smile.

Her smile was as warm and beautiful as ever and had the power to calm his heart at any time.

But beautiful things in his life hardly ever stayed long.

Not even his brain allowed him to be in that beautiful memory for long.

Vince suddenly saw a huge fire raging behind his mother.

The fire slowly started consuming the smiling form of his mother.

"Mom", he shouted, shocked.

He tried to hold onto her, but he was frozen to his spot, invisible chains holding him down.

"MOM", he yelled, helplessly.

Everything around him turned into flames. Long gone was the beautiful shore of the lake, he was now surrounded by endless flames and darkness.

"Your brother, Aurelio, might not make it out alive.", the words echoed in the flames.

"No!", Vince shook his head with wide eyes.

"Bubba", he heard a soft voice crying in pain.

Vince turned around abruptly towards the voice.

"Lina", he yelled, but he couldn't see anything.

He then turned around when he heard a cough. He could see Ash's bloodied form in between the flames.

"Ash", he called out and ran in the direction, breathing heavily.

Before he could reach, the fire consumed his brother.

"Vince", he heard a soft, pained voice from behind him.

"Aria", he gasped, turning around.

She was kneeling with blood uncontrollably flowing down her hands and crying in pain and helplessness, looking at him in fear and anguish.

Vince took steps towards  her, tripped a little, but balanced himself and continued to run in her direction.

The smoke from the fire was making it impossible to breathe, but he kept running, only to see the flames consume her too.

"No, stop!", he yelled with a thumping heart.

He slowly started hearing indistinct voices, blaming and accusing him.

"You broke your promise."

"Everyone is getting hurt."

"You didn't protect anyone."

"You can never stand on your words."

"You're just being selfish."

"You can never be anything more than a money making machine."

"You are and will always be cold blooded."

"You cannot love anyone."

"Let them go."

"Let everyone go."

"They will only get hurt if they stay with you."

"YOU'RE GOING TO GET EVERYONE KILLED!"

Dream ends.

Vince abruptly opened his eyes and sat up, startled, breathing heavily.

He looked at the calm lake and the dark sky, the moon had already come out.

He realized it was a dream and calmed down a little.

He clenched his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose in disappointment and subconscious guilt.

"Bad dream?", Aurelio's voice broke his chain of thoughts.

Vince opened his eyes and hummed in response, not turning around.

Aurelio was standing a few feet behind Vince, with his one hand in pocket, staring calmly at the dark sky.

"When did you come?", Vince asked calmly, composing himself back to his stoic self.

"A few minutes ago.", Aurelio replied.

"You didn't have to come.", Vince said.

"I didn't have to, but I wanted to.", Aurelio answered.

There was a while of silence with only the sounds of birds flying in the sky, until Vince broke the silence.

"I never had friends as a child. Mom said I would get one sooner or later. A year later, you turned up.", Vince said calmly.

"Pretty amazing friend you got huh!", Aurelio said smugly, trying to calm his brother's stiffened nerves.

"Hmm.", was all Vince replied.

If it was any other time, he would've given a fine retort, but he just accepted  it this time.

Aurelio understood that his brother was really disturbed.

"Let's go home, Vince, it's not safe staying here for long.", Aurelio said calmly.

Vince stood up and Aurelio turned around to walk away.

"Elio", Vince called calmly, still staring at the sky.

Aurelio hummed and turned around to look at him.

"Do you despise aunt Nina?", Vince asked.

"I don't. I just feel sorry for her.",  Aurelio replied honestly.

"Feel sorry?", Vince asked, confused.

"The way you cherish aunt Claire and I cherish my mother are way different than how Fio and Luce look at Mrs. Marino. Due to her impulsiveness and stubbornness, she lost that bond with her kids. That's why I feel sorry for her.", Aurelio said calmly.

There was a momentary silence after that.

"When a person can't protect the most important people in his life, what should he do?", Vince thought out loud.

Aurelio looked at his brother, but didn't say anything.

Some questions didn't have answers.

Or at least Aurelio didn't have any answer to that question.

Vince already came up with a solution when he decided to send Angel away. Aurelio didn't find the need to say anything as it was not going to change the damage that's already done.

By sending Angelina away, Vince was not only hurting his brothers and Aria, but also himself.

Aurelio wished he could find a solution to put an end to all this misery.

Reece Mansion (Note : Italy is 6 hours ahead of US)

"I want to meet a therapist.", Angelina said, looking at Easton seriously.

Easton was a little startled and taken aback at her words.

"Huh?", he asked, confused.

Angelina realized whom she was talking to. She had been upset about Easton hiding such a big truth from her.

But, he was the only one she was close to in this family and she could only ask him for help.

She didn't hate him for what he did, she was just upset and angry.

"I want to talk to a therapist.", Angelina said, composing herself.

Easton frowned.

He knew everything about her getting kidnapped, though there were some things that were still unknown to him, but he at least knew she was carrying the trauma of that abduction.

But what startled him was the fact she was asking to meet a therapist not long after leaving the Marinos. He wanted to ask what she was thinking, but was a little hesitant.

However he wouldn't leave her unattended, so he walked to her and sat beside her on the bed calmly.

"Why?", Easton asked gently.

"I used to meet a therapist even back at home-", she was saying calmly, but stopped at the word 'home'.

Easton caught on to it and decided to diffuse the tension a little.

"Why so suddenly? Take some time to settle down and then we can slowly start the therapy if you want.", Easton said calmly, looking at her.

Angelina averted her gaze.

Her cousin was talking about settling down and everyone else in the family was trying to make her feel comfortable, but she was trying to prove herself normal so as to be worthy of contacting her family.

She felt guilty.

Angelina looked down at her lap and continuously fiddled with her fingers, feeling increasingly guilty and numb at the same time.

She calmed down a little when Easton gently yet firmly placed his hand on hers, stopping her from fiddling her fingers.

"When do you want to meet the therapist?", he asked calmly.

Angelina looked up at him, surprised. She thought he would refuse.

"Tomorrow.", Angelina said.

"Do you want to meet your previous therapist or a new one?", Easton asked.

"New one.", she replied calmly.

Angelina respected her previous therapist, Kaylee, but she just needed a new person so as to narrate her past fast and get it done with.

"I'll talk to a therapist and schedule a time. Take some rest for now.", Easton said calmly, standing up.

As he turned around to walk away, Angelina held his hand, halting him.

Easton turned around and looked at her, but her gaze was cast down.

"Sorry.", she said softly, feeling guilty for not trying to give the Reece family a chance.

Easton's eyes softened at that. He understood what she was apologizing for.

He gently broke her hold on his hand and ruffled her hair.

"I understand.", he said gently.

He then walked away, closing the door.

Angelina clenched her eyes in helplessness.

Easton had always been friendly, understanding and easily approachable, just like Theo.

That might have been the reason why she and her sister bonded with him easily.

If the situation wasn't like the present one, Angelina would have been extremely happy to know that he was her cousin, but alas, the situation was too painful to feel happy for anything.

Easton walked to the living room and was startled when he felt Kris's hand on his shoulder. He looked at his sister who was looking back at him with a frown.

"Tony, I've been calling you. What's wrong, you look zoned out.", Kris asked with a frown.

Easton closed his eyes and composed himself.

"I'm fine, princess, just a little upset and confused.", Easton said gently.

"Is it about the Marinos?", Kris asked.

"Hmm.", was all he replied.

"Should I go talk to Angelina?", Kris asked, concerned.

"It's best to give her some space as of now.", he said, looking at her calmly.

Kris didn't want to upset her brother by pressing for answers, hence momentarily let the matter slide.

Unlike every year, Christmas didn't go that well.

Angelina stayed in her room all day and came out only when it was time to eat.

She smiled at everyone out of courtesy and everyone could see how forced her smile looked.

Easton talked to his mother about what Angelina said and Katherina decided to consult her friend for appointment.

She had a long discussion with Easton about the therapy sessions and decided to comply with Angelina's request for the time being.

Katherina knew she had a lot of things to figure out about her own niece as well as about the Marinos.

Easton informed Angelina about the appointment with the therapist and Angelina thanked him for it.

"I'm going to do it, Elio. I'm going to let go of this trauma.", Angelina thought internally.

The day passed by silently, with Angelina not catching a wink of sleep just like the previous night.

The next day came about with new expectations.

Angelina was all set to meet the therapist.

If she could just narrate everything without any hesitation, it was going to prove that she had gotten over her past, just like how everyone wanted her to do.

No one asked any questions during the breakfast as they didn't want to make her feel awkward or uncomfortable.

Easton decided to drive her to the clinic as he was the one closest to her in his family and Angelina was thankful for his thoughtfulness and consideration.

The therapist was a close friend of Katherina, so it was easy to get her appointment on a short notice.

Easton walked Angelina into the clinic and both of them waited in the waiting area until it was time for her an appointment.

Easton gave her a reassuring smile and Angel walked into the room after taking a deep breath.

It wasn't as easy as she had imagined.

Her nerves were on the edge and she was restless all through the morning.

As she walked in, she saw a woman almost the age of her aunt who in turn looked back at her and smiled warmly.

"Hello, young lady, please take a seat.", the woman said gently.

Angelina bit her lower lip to calm herself and sat on the seat on the other side of the table, opposite to the woman.

"I'm Rose Harpin, you can call me Rose.", the woman said with a friendly smile.

Angelina smiled slightly.

"I'm Angelina.", Angel said, avoiding the surname.

"That's a pretty name. Well, tell me, Angelina, what kind of foods do you like to eat.", Rose asked calmly.

Angel looked down at her lap and took a deep breath.

She was not here for a normal session of therapy. She just needed the woman to tell her that she was normal.

She looked up at the woman with a calm yet determined gaze.

"I want to tell you about something that happened in my life.", Angelina said calmly.

Rose looked at the girl, intrigued.

"So fast? Why such a hurry. Let's get to know each other properly first.", Rose suggested gently.

"No, I'm not here for that. I just want you to listen to my story.", Angelina said.

Rose leaned back in her chair and gave Angelina a scrutinizing gaze.

"To be able to speak freely about the traumas of one's past indicates that the person is healed from it. This is just one of the scenarios of human psychology. I see you know this scenario and you are here to prove that you are over your past.", Rose said thoughtfully.

Angelina stiffened at that. She didn't expect the woman to catch on to it so quickly.

"To whom are you trying to prove a point? To yourself or to people who are close to you?", Rose asked calmly with a raised brow.

Angelina's eyes slightly widened at that and Rose knew she had hit the correct button.

"Look, kid, let's take it slow and with each session we can-", Rose was saying, but Angel cut her off.

"I want to say it now, Rose, please.", Angelina said firmly, looking at the woman seriously.

Beneath the seriousness in her eyes and the firmness in her voice, Rose could see desperation, helplessness and pain.

She wanted to decline, but also wanted to see how far the young girl could go on without stopping and realizing how hard it is to go on like this.

"Fine. Let's hear what you have to say. Go on.", Rose said calmly.

Angelina was surprised at how fast the woman agreed.

She knew it was the best chance.

She took a deep breath and wondered where to start.

The more she dug into her memories, the heavier the weight on her heart was getting.

She subconsciously dodged the painful events and her brain stopped at the point that marked the beginning of the fiasco that happened three years ago-

"Angel, come to my house for a sleepover."

*******************************************************************************************

Phew! That was a long chapter!

How was the chapter?

What do you think about Vince's small memory of the past? 

I gave his past memory because it is important to know a part of his scars too to understand his actions.

What is your opinion on Easton still being confused over the Marinos?

What do you think about Angelina's way of dealing with her trauma?

Precap : Angelina's past Part - 1. Aria's haunting memories.

Note : Please give me a lot of votes and comments and I will give the next update on Sunday. Don't be miserly and say that that's my schedule anyway.😗.  A small reward to your author for three updates in this week.😊

Don't forget to vote, comment and follow.

Yours lovingly, 

Author.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

345K 6.9K 41
Hey, this book is not finished, but I have been asked to keep it up! I am rewriting it right away, because there were major plot holes and it was jus...
73.3K 1.8K 35
Isabella Ekaterina is the only daughter of the two most powerful mafia families in the world: the Di Luca Italian mafia and the Vasiliev Russian mafi...
62.2K 1.3K 40
15-year-old Sofia De Ricci accidentally kills her mum's abusive boyfriend and lies to everyone about his death. She believes she has no other family...
33.3K 638 22
Celestine was worried that after 10 years of living in misery in the end there really was no one to save her . At age 15 she was starting to give up...