Tales from Tabletop

By WritersErrant

In search of answers for a tragedy, a young woman leaves the only place she ever knew to explore a land known... More

Session 1.1: The First Step
Session 1.2: The First Step
Session 1.3: The First Step
Session 1.4: The First Step
Session 2.1: Voyage to Syndramire
Session 2.2: Voyage to Syndramire
Session 2.3: Voyage to Syndramire
Session 2.5: Voyage to Syndramire
Session 3.1: Lendrig's Hollow
Session 3.2: Lendrig's Hollow
Session 3.3: Lendrig's Hollow
Session 3.4: Lendrig's Hollow
Session 4.1: Into Lendrigol
Session 4.2: Into Lendrigol
Session 4.3: Into Lendrigol
Session 4.4: Into Lendrigol
Session 4.5: Into Lendrigol
Session 4.6: Into Lendrigol
Session 5.1: Beneath
Session 5.2: Beneath
Session 5.3: Beneath
Session 5.4: Beneath
Session 5.5: Beneath
Session 6.1: Divide and Conquer
Session 6.2: Divide and Conquer
Session 6.3: Divide and Conquer
Session 6.4: Divide and Conquer
Session 7.1: Lord of Abyss
Session 7.2: Lord of Abyss
Session 7.3: Lord of Abyss
Session 7.4: Lord of Abyss
Session 7.5: Lord of Abyss
Session 8.1: Return to the Hollow
Session 8.2: Return to the Hollow
Session 8.3: Return to the Hollow
Session 8.4: Return to the Hollow
Session 8.5: Return to the Hollow
Session 9.1: Before the Deluge
Session 9.2: Before the Deluge
Session 9.3: Before the Deluge
Session 9.4: Before the Deluge
Session 9.5: Before the Deluge
Session 10.1: Battle for the Hollow
Session 10.2: Battle for the Hollow
Session 10.3: Battle for the Hollow
Session 10.4: Battle for the Hollow
Session 10.5: Battle for the Hollow
Session 10.6: Battle for the Hollow
Session 10.7: Battle for the Hollow
Session 11.1: Into the Abyss
Session 11.2: Into the Abyss
Session 11.3: Into the Abyss

Session 2.4: Voyage to Syndramire

1 0 0
By WritersErrant

Chapter IV: A Night Ashore

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Drastè Wharf was the largest port between Izan'Larai and Lendrig's Hollow. All that really meant was the town was slightly bigger than other towns. Still, the crew spoke about this port for weeks. They always planned stops here so they docked right before some major festival. They called it Drastè's Cradle, and people from all across the region came together and celebrated the harvests from both land and sea.

This time around, the festivities would begin the day they docked after all work for the day was done. The town was stuffed to the gills with all the novelties, food, and fine drink you could ever want. Excitement was palpable.

The crew followed the usual routine for docking, so Selene and Hamish were left to themselves below deck. Hamish leaned casually against the wall, while Selene rummaged through her packs. She took stock of everything she owned frequently, but especially before they docked.

I don't think anyone would steal from me, Selene reasoned, but...can't be too careful.

"My friend, do you have plans for the night?" Hamish asked.

"Yeah." Selene responded absentmindedly, "Shopping, mostly. Gotta find some stuff I'll need for Syndramire."

"Oh? What you need?"

Selene shrugged, "You know, just a couple things here and there. Rope, short sword, maybe some knives?"

Hamish crossed his arms and raised an eyebrow, "Knives?"

"Yeah, I figured it would be good to have a couple ranged weapons. Plus it sounds perfect for an adventurer like myself."

Hamish chuckled, "I wish you luck in the shopping, but be careful."

Satisfied everything was still there, she gathered up what remained and put it back in her pack, "What about you?"

He smiled, "I will be joining crew in the 'night on town!' I am looking forward to it."

Selene did not respond. He often drank and sang with them on the ship, why not on land as well?

"Well, I hope you have a good time." Hamish continued, his tone growing slightly concerned, "And watch out for thieves and pickpockets. We are not in big city, but I am sure they will be looking for easy targets tonight."

Selene snorted. "Yeah. I'll do my best. And you watch out, too. A town this small might confuse you for a giant attacking the village."

That got a hearty laugh from Hamish, "Haha, yes! I should walk on knees. Do not want to cause trouble for good captain."

They both had a good laugh as they went above deck once the crew finished their duties. Selene was the first to leave the ship. There were still a few hours until dark, but most shops carrying adventurer supplies would close after the festival began. Selene waved a final goodbye to Hamish, then she leapt off the ship platform onto the docks. Without stopping, she scurried past the dock workers and obstacles in her path.

The town was sizable, but not massive. She managed to find the shops with ease, and by sunset, she had everything she needed. Starting with climbing rope, Selene had trouble determining how much was needed. Eventually she decided to only get as much as she could carry comfortably in her pack.

The short sword and knives were harder, as the weaponsmith wanted to haggle. Probably paid twice the normal amount. She thought dourly as she put her coin purse away, now much lighter. By her estimates, she still had enough to pay the captain, but not much after that.

Might need to make more coin before Syndramire.

Selene cringed at the thought. She hoped to rely on adventuring for funds in the future, but the thought of entering Syndramire broke was enough for her to reconsider.

As conventional shops were closing, the festivities for the night were just starting. All kinds of distractions would be around town soon. Stalls that sold local delicacies or novelty treats, performers that retold the events that spawned the founding of the festival through song and dance, and a massive crowd to use for cover.

Festivals always have a bunch of easy marks. I could make up what I'm missing easy. Selene tried to fight the temptation, but old habits were hard to break.

I'll get just enough to make up what I spent today. Not gonna let us starve when I can make ends meet. Selene rationalized as she headed toward the festivities.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is almost too easy. Selene thought as she slipped through the crowd. Everyone here was so distracted, it might be more difficult to swipe the sweets from children.

She knew she grabbed more than she needed, but the rush of such easy marks was intoxicating. There was no fear of reprisal here, only the thrill of the take.

While taking a breath, she searched for the next mark, when she noticed a hooded figure speaking with a vendor. She could not hear the conversation, but she could tell they were both distracted. And the figure placed his coin purse on the counter. Neither seemed to be watching it.

Arveene's words played quietly at the back of her mind, unheeded. Selene could not help herself.

Blending into the crowd, she approached. Neither vendor nor customer paid the counter any mind. She glided over to the stall, assured. The purse was practically begging to be taken, and Selene was happy to oblige. Casually, she grabbed it off the counter.

A gloved hand slammed over her cupped fist, trapping it against the counter. The hooded figure spoke softly, "That is not yours, young one."

His voice was stern, like a parent lecturing their child.

Selene looked up to see glowing eyes looking down on her. They glowed with a similar incandescence to the full moon hanging above them.

"O-oh." Selene stammered, "You're right. My mistake. I'll-uh. I'll be going, if you don't mind." Letting go of the bag with exaggerated flair, she then tried to pull her hand away. He did not let go.

Caught like a rat in the trap, Selene knew she screwed up.

"Are you okay, sir?" The owner of the stall asked, concerned, "Should I call for the guard?"

"No need," he said, never taking his eyes off Selene as he returned his purse to his side, "I'll handle this myself."

The longer she met his gaze, the more uncomfortable she felt. If eyes were windows to the soul, his soul was ancient. Practically timeless. She never stared down an elf before, but there was no other race that could evoke such a feeling.

He also had pointed ears. That helped, too.

He dragged her off to the side, out of the way of the stall and other festival goers. Selene went along, but had no desire to follow his rhythm. She knew she needed a plan. When they reached the entrance of the alleyway, the elf pushed her against the wall. His hand, still holding hers, pushed her fist against the wall above her head.

The elf was tall, towering above her. "I've had my eyes on you for a while, thief. You're good, but you got greedy. Now, I have some questions for you. I expect you to answer. Do you understand?"

She did not respond. Fear was taking hold and her mind was working a mile a minute to get out of this.

"Don't play with me, young one. I am short on patience. Do you understand?"

Panic clutched her chest as she tried desperately to get away, but his grip was like a vice. She could not get away. She stopped resisting, her head bowed, "Okay, you win. I'll do whatever you want."

Silence. He eyed her a moment, trying to determine if she was telling the truth. He used his free hand to lift her face up by her chin.

Selene made her move. Latching her tail and free hand to the arm holding her, she lifted herself up. Using the wall for added force, she delivered a mule kick to his sternum as hard as she could. The elf released her. He fell to his knees as the wind was knocked out from him. Before he had a chance to recover, Selene grabbed the coin purse from his side and bolted down the alleyway.

I'm sorry, elf guy. You might have succeeded if you met Rieta the thief. But I'm Selene Bryseis, an adventurer, and I don't give up so easily.

The fight was not over. Footsteps quickly followed. Listening closely, she gauged his distance behind her. When he least expected it, she ducked through an adjacent alley to her right. She had to move quickly. Out of his line of sight, she leapt for the nearest cobbled wall and scampered up onto the thatched roof above. She didn't wait to see if that slowed him down. She ran to the opposite side of the building. Judging the gap between the adjacent buildings, she leapt. Landing with a dull thud on the other side, she kept running.

A moment later, she heard a thud behind her. She glanced back. The elf was closing in. Panicked, she shifted course. She leapt across another building, veering towards the main streets. No time to climb down, Selene eyeballed the height.

About a twenty foot drop, I can make that. Probably.

Selene leapt toward the crowded streets below. Luckily, she didn't hit anyone. And her last minute roll saved her from any harm. She heard a similar thud nearby, but didn't look to see the cause. Dodging and weaving past folk with practiced alacrity, Selene flowed through the oncoming crowds. It was too loud to hear if he was still following. Didn't matter. She was small, fast, and well acquainted to blending into crowds. Even if the elf was able to keep up in speed, he was far larger. The crowd would slow him eventually.

She kept this pace and repeated the tactic until certain she was no longer followed. Out of breath, she ducked into an alley to get her bearings.

I can't believe that actually worked. She laughed weakly and whispered, "Guess all those stunts on the ship paid off."

Creeping from her hiding spot, she checked and double checked that there was no more sign of the elf. There was none, but Selene decided that was enough excitement for one night. She clung to the crowd and shadows for cover as she made her way back to the docks.

The crowds thinned as she moved further from the center of town. Without the crowd to cover her movements, she kept glancing about. As far as she could tell, no one was following.

Time dragged on due to cautious movements, but she finally made it back to the ship. The guard had been sleeping, but gave a start when he heard Selene's approach. Recognizing her, he gave a nod before falling back asleep.

Safely aboard and away from any prying, Elven eyes, Selene relaxed. The night was still young, so Selene decided she would take advantage of the empty ship and mess around with her new toys.

She started with the knives, pulling one from her gauntlet. They were about half the size of her daggers, so all of them fit comfortably in hidden pockets. She bought them in bulk, and made sure there were enough to fill any remaining spots left in her gauntlets and armor. Now she always had a blade or two in a pinch. Selene gave the one a few practice tosses up in the air, letting it hit the deck with a thud. Satisfied, she put it away for the time being.

Her sword rested comfortably in its sheath on her hip. She gripped the hilt in her hand, and drew it in a sweeping fashion. It was simple in make and about as long as her arm, fitting comfortably in both hands. She gave it a few practice swings before striking a pose.

"Now I'm ready," she whispered as she returned the sword to her hip with a flourish. She had all the tools of the trade for adventuring.

Now all she needed was practice using them.

Well, no time like the present. She moved past the guard, who was now snoring audibly. Bet I can find a spot nearby to practice.

After a quick search, she found an area that seemed adequate for practice. It was an open area, probably used as a staging ground for supplies on and off boats. She found some discarded wood planks nearby, about the same shape and size as the one used to get aboard The Admare when docked. They were quite heavy, but with some effort she was able to move them up against the wall.

I don't have anything to mark for targets, but this should be good enough for knife practice. She thought to herself, counting out several paces away from her makeshift target board. With theatrical flourish, she drew a knife in each hand.

"You're going down, board!" She cried as she flung the knives from her hands. Their flight from her hand was magnificent. They spun through the air with deadly force. They hit the wall, hilt first, then fell to the earth with a dull thud. Selene frowned.

"Well, that was anticlimactic." She muttered as she went to pick them up.

"I could have sworn I threw them right." Returning to her spot, she spun around and prepared to try again.

"Maybe if I throw them one at a time?" She surmised. It fared about as well as the first. She then tried throwing them faster, to no avail.

This went on for several minutes. She tried changing the distance, her stance, the way she threw the knives. Nothing changed no matter what she tried.

After what felt to be the millionth attempt, Selene threw her hands in the air in frustration. She knew this was a difficult skill to learn. She did not expect to master it in a single day, but hitting a wall this early in practice? She did not know what to do. Finally she let out an exasperated, "Why?"

"Several reasons." A voice came from above, on the roof of a nearby building. "First, you're spinning the blade too much. Rotations should be based on distance. The farther the target, the more rotations it needs."

As Selene scanned the roof for the voice, her eyes met glowing irises. It was the elf from before.

He continued, "Second, your stance is off, there is no power to your throw."

Leaping from the building, he landed in front of her crouched, "Third, you keep letting go at the wrong time, causing the blade's trajectory to skew too far to the left or right. That's why you keep missing the target."

The elf rose to his full height, towering above her. He pulled back his hood. Silver hair, shining in the moonlight, streamed down his shoulders. His pale skin had an ethereal glow, as if his very being was born from moonlight. Her awe gave the elf time to approach. He took the knife from her hand, "These look new. Did you just steal them as well?"

Selene was speechless, struck dumb by circumstance. She stammered out, "B-but...I..."

"Lost me? You didn't. But you did come close. I was not expecting your...unorthodox technique. Regardless, let's continue our conversation. I believe you said you would do whatever I want?"

"Did I?" Suddenly she caught diarrhea of the mouth, and started rambling, "Yeah, I think I did, well, you know, I was caught up in the moment I guess. I-"

He held his hand up, "Stop."

She shut up.

"Listen." He waited until she nodded. "Where are you from?"

Her mind went blank for a second, but she managed to blather out, "I-Izan'Larai?"

His eyes registered no response, but he gave a small whistle, "You're a long way from home, young one. Why are you here?"

"I-I'm a traveler on a boat, we stopped for supplies and-"

He shook his head, "Not what I meant. Where are you going?"

"S-Syndramire?"

Surprise flickered across his expression. "Why."

"W-well, you see, I want to be a great adventurer, and-"

He cut her off with a raised hand, "There are better places for a new adventurer to make a name for yourself. All most find in Syndramire is death. Why are you going?"

"...I have to. I...don't have a choice." She looked away, her voice shrinking to a whisper, "I have to find out why."

"Why...what?"

She refused to respond. Her eyes never wavered as he stared her down.

He was silent for a time as he sized her up. Finally, he shrugged, "Suit yourself. My purse?"

She handed it over without argument. He turned, as if to walk away. Then he stopped, fiddling with the knife in his hands as if lost in thought. The tension was palpable as the din of the festivities could be heard in the distance.

Without warning, he threw her knife without looking. She flinched, but the blade flew toward the wooden target. His aim and throw were true, the blade slid an inch deep into the wood. He turned to face her once more, "What is your name?"

"Uh....S-selene?" She squeaked. Trying again, she cleared her throat, stood up straight, and puffed out her chest, "Selene Bryseis."

He gave what sounded like a soft chuckle, "You may call me Argent. Whether by fate or fortune, it seems we walk the same path. I head for Syndramire as well." His gaze traveled upwards, at the full moon hanging in the night sky, "For that reason, I suggest we go together. If there is more to our meeting, this will be a chance to prove it."

Selene stood there, confused. The conversation had taken a turn she did not expect. She fiddled with her hat, feeling the leather on her fingers as she mulled over his offer, "I don't know..."

Argent nodded, "I understand. There is no reason to take my word, after everything that's happened, right?"

She shrugged. "I guess you could say that."

A smile touched his lips as he continued, his tone almost wistful, "You know, you made quite an impression earlier. You are quite remarkable for someone so young." His smile disappeared and his tone hardened, "Talent has gotten you far, but I fear you will not survive Syndramire as you are."

Flattered but also slightly offended, Selene objected, "But..."

He did not give her a chance to complete that thought. His words cut through the air, "No. You will not. The land is more dangerous than rumors suggest, and I have reason to believe it has only grown worse since I last came here."

Selene's heart sank, "...worse?"

He sighed, eyes now downcast, "Yes, worse. For that reason, I ask you consider joining me. I have long considered taking a student and despite yourself, you have impressed me tonight."

She frowned and began to protest, but he cut her off again, "I promise you, I will not let your talent go to waste. I will prepare you for Syndramire, as best I can."

Selene took a moment to process everything Argent said, then asked, "You mean...you'll make me into a real adventurer?"

Argent chuckled again, a smile tugging at his lips, "Yes, I will make certain you are the adventurer you always dreamed to be. What say you?"

Selene did not think. She knew her answer.

'Under an auspicious moon, the mythic warrior Argent offered Selene his services. To train under him and carry on his legacy.' I bet that's how this will be remembered, better come up with something cool to say, too! Selene thought with glee.

She met his gaze, determination filled her. Excitement overwhelming, her tail bounced happily as she squealed, "Yes! A thousand times yes!" Hearing herself, she quickly felt the heat rise to her cheeks.

She tried to regain her composure, tail still swishing about excitedly. She added more seriously, "I will join you, Argent. I will do whatever it takes to become a great adventurer."

"Good answer," Argent's expression softened, amused, "Well then, Selene, we have time now. Let's start with these knives of yours."

Argent pulled the knife from the board, then showed her the proper stance. He explained the proper methods to throw dependent on distance, and demonstrated each step in turn.

Selene stood in awe each time he threw the blades. They seemed almost an extension of himself, and flew through the air with deadly accuracy. Training was still slow, but by the time they finished for the night, Selene had successfully lodged a knife in her target.

"Good, we'll continue this later, with greater emphasis on speed and consistency." He said, pulling the knife from the board, "For now, there is someone waiting for me at The Bronze Clam."

Selene paused, "Didn't you say we had time for training tonight?"

Argent raised an eyebrow, then shrugged, "Training takes priority. Besides, I was sent to get treats from the festival. So long as we get those, all will be forgiven. And since you are partially to blame, you can help me grab whatever is still available."

Selene tried to protest, but Argent dashed off towards the stalls before she could respond. "But...I...you..." She sighed, accepting her teacher's request, "...wait for me."

Guess it's my turn to chase. Selene thought as she ran with Argent through the streets once more.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

789K 45K 40
"Well, well, well." I felt the entirety of my body stiffen. "Pray tell," the masculine voice murmured as his chin rested down onto my shoulder, "what...
138 16 28
"I need you to keep quiet about this meeting. And, even if you don't like it, I want you to stay away from me from now on." * Since Vine lost his fat...
5.1K 120 41
We all remember, when Ori saved his friends from catastrophe, giving a new start to life, a new era was about to begin. So much time had passed since...
350 51 21
Growing up as an apprentice healer in the castle, Ilia loved listening to the stories the knight-mages told. Tales of valour and glory, adventures in...