What is family?

由 serene_fictionist

Angelina Marino The only princess of the Marino family. The world knows her as a princess who has everything... 更多

Author's Note
CHARACTER SKETCH
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Characters, their relations and ages
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Author's note
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Author's Note
Vince's book - A small peek into it!
A short notice!
Vince's book - A small excerpt
Vince book PUBLISHED!

Chapter 88

7.3K 304 96
由 serene_fictionist

Third Person POV

The dinner passed by in awkward silence after Bianca announced about her son, Riccardo's arrival the next day.

Dylan and his siblings were anxious about his arrival.

Not much time had passed since the last time they had an argument with their father on the day of Thanksgiving.

He didn't know how to face him now.

On the other hand, Ash was just bored about the news.

He had already told his father what he felt, in fact he had toned it down a little so as to not anger his brother, so, he hardly felt the need to give any attention to his arrival.

Ace wasn't sure what to tell his father and how to behave around him. His twin had successfully created an awkward atmosphere between their father and them.

Aria, for the first time, felt really anxious about facing her father. After what happened on Thanksgiving, she hesitated to call him and he didn't call her either. She wondered if he was angry.

Angel, however, didn't feel any different. She was already anxious about the people in that house and one other addition wouldn't make any difference. They already blame her for so many things and she wouldn't be surprised even if their father blames her for what happened on Thanksgiving.

Aurelio looked at his cousins and knew exactly what they were feeling. He knew that they had some argument with their father on Thanksgiving, resulting in his uncle walking out of the house abruptly.

He didn't know what the fight was about though.

Vince only told him that something happened, but didn't exactly tell him what the argument was about. 

Surprisingly, even Vince didn't know. Courtesies of his siblings.

In the absence of Vince, now it was his responsibility as the eldest to manage the situation properly.

He just hoped everything would go smoothly.

But the next moment, he chuckled at his own thoughts.

Life had never been smooth for them!

He sighed internally and looked up and his eyes met with Fio's.

One look at his brother and he understood that he was upset.

He wondered what made Fio upset.

That moment it struck him that he had kept the news of Ash's accident from his siblings.

Aurelio scoffed internally.

He was right, life can never be smooth for them, after all, pacifying Fio was very tough.

The dinner passed by in awkward silence, each one distracted with their own thoughts.

After the dinner was completed, Luce dragged his cousins to the terrace to have some fun.

Aurelio left the table, having to deal with some issues at the company.

Rosario stood up calmly and walked to his room, not interested in having a talk with his parents at the moment.

He knew they had questions but he wasn't in the mood to answer them.

He walked to his room and changed into his casual clothes. 

He freshened up and sat on the couch in his room.

He took out a file and started skimming through the contents.

His son was handling their business well, but that didn't mean he wouldn't participate in the proceedings.

He snickered at his own fate.

He knew that even at the time of retirement, he wouldn't have the privilege to spend his days in peace.

Such was his life and he had come to terms with it a long time ago.

At that moment his wife walked into the room and closed the door.

As he had expected, she had a very displeased and disappointed look etched on her face.

But he didn't bother to ask why. He already knew and he was least bothered.

She walked to him and sat on the couch a little away from him.

"Ros, we need to talk.", she said calmly with a hint of anger in her tone.

He just hummed in approval but didn't take his eyes off the file.

"This is serious, Rosario.", she insisted seriously.

"I'm listening, Nina.", he said calmly.

"Rosario, can you please put the file off. I want to have a civil conversation with you.", Nina said seriously, angry with her husband's lack of interest in her words.

Rosario was annoyed. He knew what she wanted to talk about and he was in no mood to argue.

He snickered internally when his wife said 'a civil conversation'.

However, he put the file down and looked at her calmly.

If she wanted answers, he was ready to show her the reality.

"What was that at the dining table?", Nina asked calmly, looking at Rosario.

"Don't speak indirectly, Nina. Ask what you want to ask directly.", Rosario said very calmly, looking straight at his wife.

"You know what I am asking, Ros, but if you want me to say it directly, then here you go. Why did you greet Angelina?", Nina asked seriously with a hint of anger in her tone.

"Because I wanted to.", Rosario replied bluntly.

Nina looked a little taken aback at his reply.

Rosario wanted to greet Angelina?

What a joke!, she thought.

Nina chuckled sarcastically.

"You wanted to, Ros? Are you sure?", she asked with sarcasm, lacing her tone.

"Yes.", he replied, ignoring his wife's sarcasm.

Nina looked at Rosario with anger swirling in her eyes.

"Do you want me to believe your answers? You never once gave that girl a second glance and never once took her name from your mouth. You never replied to her even when she tried to talk to you. It was as if she never existed in your eyes. Then, what changed? Why did you greet her today?", Nina asked angrily.

Rosario looked at her with a stoic face and blank eyes.

"The truth changed.", he said calmly.

"Huh?", Nina looked at him with a frown, confused.

"The truth we knew turned out to be a lie. Angelina is not what we thought she was.", Rosario said calmly.

"What do you mean?", Nina asked, annoyed.

"You know what I mean. Stop playing dumb.", he said sternly.

"Rosario-", she started but he cut her off.

"Angelina is not an outcome of your sister's trauma and neither is she a product of rape.", Rosario said firmly.

Nina looked away clenching her jaw.

"That doesn't change anything.", she said, not looking at him.

"That changes everything.", he said calmly.

"Yes, it does. It makes her a true stranger. She's nowhere related to our family nor Vince. Then, why is she still staying with us?", Nina said, annoyed.

"Blood or not, the boys and Arianna have already accepted her as family. It's better if you do it too.", he replied, looking at her.

She looked at him with a sarcastic smile.

"And will you tell that to Riccardo too? What will you tell your brother about your changed behavior towards Angelina?", Nina asked with a snicker.

"The same which I'm telling you.", he said unbothered.

"Are you going to support that girl who has stolen the place of our princess for so many years? That too in front of your brother?", she questioned him angrily.

"She hasn't stolen it. Circumstances led to the situation we are in right now. Don't blame the girl for the mistake which was not hers in the first place.", he replied seriously.

"She is a constant reminder of what all we've been through since the death of my sister. I just want her gone.", Nina said angrily, resentment clearly visible in her eyes.

"Can you stop it, Nina? You're being ridiculous. She is just a kid. Stop hating her.", Rosario said firmly, looking at his wife sternly.

"You hated her too, Ros. You just flipped now for god knows what reason.", she argued.

"I may not have loved her, but I never hated her. I just kept my distance because I didn't want to offend my brother and displease you.", he said seriously.

"What changed now, then? Your brother will be offended with your change and I am already displeased.", she insisted.

"Because back then you at least had a reason and now you don't.", he said, looking straight in her eyes.

"I do have a reason even now-", she was saying but he cut her off.

"Selfish reason.", he said.

"Yes, selfish reason. So what if I'm selfish for my niece?", she said, challenging him.

"For your niece?", he scoffed slightly.

"It's for your own self, Nina. Because as far as I know Arianna loves Angelina just like the boys do.", he continued calmly.

"I'm not my sister to accept just anyone.", she said with an annoyed frown.

"True. You can never be like Claire. She had a heart so big that it always surprised me at how easily she could love a person. You can never match your sister.", he said calmly.

Nina stiffened and clenched her fists.

"True. She might have loved the kid who was the product of your betrayal towards me, but I cannot love the child who was the reason behind the misery of her kids and everyone in our family.", Nina said, gritting her teeth.

"Mind your words, Nina. Aurelio is not a product of betrayal.", Rosario said in a deceptively calm voice.

Chills ran down Nina's spine at her husband's tone.

She knew he wouldn't hurt her, but that didn't mean his coldness didn't scare her.

But, the mention of Aurelio by her husband was enough to make her burn in anger.

"Are you sure? As far as I know, he isn't a legitimate child.", Nina said in disdain.

Rosario's eyes blazed in anger.

"Nina, watch your tongue.", Rosario said coldly, looking straight in her eyes with a burning gaze.

Nina froze in her place and involuntarily flinched at his coldness.

Rosario had enough of his wife's words and stood up to walk out.

He turned around and walked towards the door.

As he was almost near the door, Nina stood up, concealing her fear.

"We were married, Rosario. I didn't even know Aurelio-", she was saying but he cut her off.

He didn't turn around to look at her and his back was facing her.

"If you had not been so selfish, neither of us would have had to go through so much.", he said calmly, composing himself.

"Selfish? Can you just see that? Can't you see how much I have given for this family? Can't you see that I have given my everything to love you? But you never paid any attention to me. You never valued my feelings. It was always me trying to hold this marriage together.", Nina said, raising her voice, tears flowing down her cheek.

Rosario didn't turn around.

"If you stop being self-centric, you'll see just how much I have given you. We have already ruined Aurelio's childhood, Nina. Don't ruin Angelina's. She has suffered enough damage already.", he said calmly.

Nina wiped her tears and sniffled.

"What about my niece? What about Aria?", she asked through her tears.

Rosario turned around and looked at his wife.

"Everyone of us loves Arianna. Vince loves all his siblings without any partiality and Arianna is his sister. Ric loves his daughter more than anything in the world. You and my parents started loving her even before you met her. I love her too. Our sons love her. We all will stand by her if she needs anything and we'll protect her with everything. In fact, she doesn't even need us. Vince loves her more than anyone of us could even imagine. So, I don't see the point in you taking Arianna as a reason to hate Angelina.", Rosario said calmly, hoping his wife would understand.

But, alas, Nina was not ready to accept whatever he was saying.

Rosario understood that his wife was not ready to let go of her resentment and sighed internally.

"We have already lost Vince's trust, Nina. If you do anything to threaten his siblings' safety, he will never again see your face and this time it will not be only him, but you'll lose the trust of all your nephews and even Arianna.", Rosario said calmly but his wife didn't miss the underlying warning in his tone.

Rosario turned around and walked out without waiting for Nina's reply as he knew she wouldn't accept his words so soon.

He knew his wife wasn't a bad person but she was a bit too self centric.

He could only hope that she would let go of her resentment towards his son and Angelina.

He scoffed internally at his own wishes.

On the other hand, Nina sat down on the couch, dejected.

No matter how much she tried, she would always be insufficient for her husband.

He would never understand her feelings.

He would not understand that the mere mention of Angelina was a constant reminder of their misery.

She wiped her tears and walked out of her room.

She wanted to go to Aria's room but stopped when she saw her mother-in-law reading a book, sitting in the living room.

She walked to Bianca and sat beside her.

"I take it you fought with Ros again.", Bianca said calmly, closing the book in her hand.

"I just asked him why he greeted that girl today.", Nina said with a frown.

"And what did he say?", Bianca asked, interested to know her son's reply.

"That we don't have any reason to hate her anymore and that we should start accepting her.", Nina said, annoyed.

"Changed huh? Well, what do you think?", Bianca asked, looking at her daughter-in-law.

"How can I let go of my resentment, mom? That girl is the one that stole Aria's place and she is a reminder of what Aria has lost all these years. How can we accept her?", Nina said calmly but the anger and disdain were clear in her tone.

Bianca placed a hand on Nina's shoulder and squeezed her shoulder gently.

"You're right. If that girl stays, she will compete for Aria's place.", Bianca said calmly with a thoughtful expression.

"I know the pain when a person has to fight for the place that has always been rightfully theirs . I won't let it happen to our princess. I won't let her compete for the position and love that is hers and hers alone.", Nina said firmly with determination shining in her eyes.

"Good. At least you share my thoughts. Your husband seems to have forgotten his brother's pain.", Bianca said, disappointed.

"But what can we do, mom? We can't do anything with Vince around.", Nina asked, turning towards Bianca.

"What exactly do you want to do to Angelina, Nina?", Bianca asked, looking straight in her daughter-in-law's eyes.

"I don't want to cause her any harm. I just want her to leave our family. Maybe she can go to any biological relatives or if there aren't any, to a foster care.", Nina said without much thought.

Bianca sighed.

At least her daughter-in-law didn't hate the girl enough to endanger her life.

She looked at Nina calmly.

"What if Vince himself sends Angelina away?", Bianca suggested.

"But why would he? Everyone knows how much he loves her.", Nina stated with a confused frown.

"And does he not love Aria?", Bianca questioned.

"He loves our princess too. But what of it?", Nina asked, still confused.

"What if he has to choose between Angelina and Aria?", Bianca asked with a slight smirk.

Nina chuckled, understanding her mother-in-law's thoughts.

"But what if he chooses Angelina over Aria?", Nina asked, worried.

"As much as I got to know, Vince has come to love Aria as much as he loves his brothers and that girl. That boy, if he loves someone, he loves them with all his heart.", Bianca said, smiling softly at the last statement.

Her eldest grandson was unique indeed.

"Just like Claire.", Nina said with a soft smile.

"Just like your sister.", Bianca agreed with a chuckle.

She then looked at Nina with a smile.

"Then tell me, whom would he choose when asked to, the girl who is his sister by blood or the girl who is not?", Bianca asked with a confident smile.

"He still cares for us even after what happened in the past because we are his family by blood. So, he will definitely choose Aria. But who can ask him to choose?", Nina asked, knowing very well that Vince wouldn't bat an eyelash if any of them asked him to choose.

"Who else! Aria, of course!", Bianca said with a smirk.

"Why would she do that when she loves that girl?", Nina asked with a flat look.

"Well, it's our job to make our princess understand that Angelina's presence is a challenge to her position in the family. Also, when she knows that we thought Angelina was born as a result of Claire's misery, she would understand her father's pain and our resentment.", Bianca explained calmly.

"You're right, mom. I'll make her understand.", Nina said firmly.

Bianca nodded with a smile.

"Spend time with her tomorrow.", she said softly.

Nina nodded with a peaceful smile.

"I will. I have so much to talk to her and tell her about her mother.", Nina said with a soft smile.

On the other side, Dylan, the twins, Aria and Angel enjoyed themselves with their cousins on the terrace.

They shared memories, playfully bickered with one another and made light hearted humor about the embarrassing incidents each one of them faced.

The night went by with the girls enjoying their time with their brothers and cousins.

Aria was happy spending time with her siblings and cousins and felt warm when her cousins accepted her with an open heart and her siblings made sure that she didn't feel left out while they were sharing their memories.

Angel forgot about the people inside the house for some time, having been involved in enjoying her time with her cousins. She felt happy reliving the good memories and excited about sharing all those with her sister.

As time passed by, the girls got tired and dozed off.

Angel slept leaning her head against the pole of the swing and Aria slept resting her head on Angel's shoulder.

As the boys realized that their sisters were asleep, they stopped talking and decided to call it a day.

"We thought there were only one pair of twins in the family, but looking at both of them, we can say that they are no less than twins either.", Fio said with a gentle smile, looking at Aria and Angel all cuddled up with each other.

"I know right!", Ace exclaimed, making the others chuckle.

It was a peaceful night for the Marinos.

As for the next day, it was uncertain.

They were going to face new trials with the onset of the sunrise.

Was the bond formed between two girls, irrespective of whether they were related by blood or not, going to sustain the series of trials that were coming their way?

It was finally time to test the love between the sisters!

******************************************************************************

Phew! That was a long chapter!

How's the chapter?

What are your views on Rosario(uncle)?

What do you think about Nina's feelings?

What's your opinion on Bianca?

Don't forget to vote, comment and follow.

Yours lovingly, 

Author.

继续阅读

You'll Also Like

73.5K 1.8K 35
Isabella Ekaterina is the only daughter of the two most powerful mafia families in the world: the Di Luca Italian mafia and the Vasiliev Russian mafi...
68.6K 1.5K 43
Gemma was five when she was kidnapped. Her nanny was just a few feet away picking up Renzo's favorite salad dressing. Gemma was grabbed from behind o...
141K 2.9K 38
Book 1: Fire and Ice series. Twins Marina and Lukas Sloane, where taken from their father and brothers at a few months old by their mother. When she...
Estella 由 AVI

一般小说

63.1K 1.5K 30
15 year old Estella never expected her to flip upside down in a span of few weeks . The unexpected death of her foster parents Getting a positive p...