Family Comes First

By masonfitzzy

Juliet's parents died when she was young and she never got to experience having a family. She lived a miserab... More

Chapter 1: The First Encounter
Chapter 2: Brought to the Farm
Chapter 3: Reality Hits Hard
Chapter 4: A Beginning of a New Ordinary
Chapter 5: A New Family
Chapter 6: The Wedding
Chapter 7: Edge of a Breakdown
Chapter 8: A Disturbing Souvenir
Chapter 9: My New Family
Chapter 10: A Glimmer of Hope
Chapter 11: Formulating My Plan
Chapter 12: My Plan
Chapter 13: The End Was Near
Chapter 14: Falling Over The Edge
Chapter 15: My Rewarding Punishment
Chapter 16: Future Plans
Chapter 17: A Bite of Something New
Chapter 18: Clarifying the Truth
Chapter 19: Unexpected Visitors
Chapter 20: We're All Safe
Chapter 21: Threats
Chapter 22: Have Trust, Not Questions
Chapter 23: A Hairy Situation
Chapter 24: Out in the Open
Chapter 25: Please Don't Leave
Chapter 26: Don't Do Anything Silly
Chapter 27: A Bit of History
Chapter 28: Road Trip
Chapter 29: Another Feminine Face
Chapter 30: Family Breakfast
Chapter 31: A Peek at Our Future
Chapter 32: Forced
Chapter 33: A Conversation Over Oatmeal
Chapter 34: Vacation's Over
Chapter 35: The New Family Member
Chapter 36: A Blanket of Snow
Chapter 37: A Queasy Stomach
Chapter 39: My Baby's Life
Chapter 40: Tormented by Tommy
Chapter 41: Knock on the Door
Chapter 42: Unbelievable
Chapter 43: Taylor's Arrival
Chapter 44: Emme's Confession
Chapter 45: Dinner With the Family
Chapter 46: Key and Chain
Chapter 47: My Baby
Chapter 48: The Bruises
Chapter 49: Tommy's Girl
Chapter 50: Carrie
Chapter 51: Tell Us Something
Chapter 52: Maybe One Day
Chapter 53: The Deal
Chapter 54: A Death
Chapter 55: A Heated Discussion
Chapter 56: Pack Your Bags
Chapter 57: What A Shame
Chapter 58: The End
Newest Story: FEEDING FRENZY

Chapter 38: Taking it Easy

8.3K 319 126
By masonfitzzy

The next morning, Jimmy treated me like I never learned how to walk. He helped me get out of bed, and he had his arm snaked around my waist as I walked to the bathroom to brush my teeth. He was trying to help me out as much as he could now that I was pregnant. I could not imagine how he would treat me as I got bigger.

Jimmy kept his arm around me as we walked down the stairs to breakfast. Charles was sitting at the end of the table with a book in his hands. Tommy was leaning back relaxed in his chair. He was cleaning his fingernails with his pocket knife. An empty bowl sat in front of him. I was relieved that he did not look up at me.

I went to walk over to the cupboard to get us some bowls and cereal. Jimmy put his hand on my shoulder and pulled me back toward him. He forced me to sit down in the chair across from Tommy.

"Sit down," he said. "I'll get it."

Charles chuckled and looked over the top of his book at me.

"Oh, I remember when Marilyn was first pregnant with James," he said. "For the first few days, I wouldn't let her do anything. The first baby is always the scariest."

"Wait." Tommy flipped the blade of his knife back in. He sat straight and his eyes widened. "Julie's pregnant?"

His voice was filled with venom. He was gnawing on the corner of his lip. My stomach twisted and I could feel the tension build in his body.

"Yeah," Jimmy said, setting the food down in front of me. He lightly ran his fingers through my hair. "I'll have a son soon."

"Unless it's a girl," Tommy said.

"It won't be."

Tommy's nostrils flared. He opened the blade of his knife. He held it against the edge of the table. He made deep slashes into the wood as he stared between Jimmy and me.

"Thomas!" Charles yelled. "Stop that right now. Go outside. I'll meet you out there in a few minutes."

Tommy let out a deep breath and flipped the blade back in. He pushed his chair away from the table and stormed outside. Charles leaned back in his chair and rolled his eyes.

"What am I going to do with that boy?" he muttered.

Jimmy sat and we began eating our breakfast. I watched Charles as he got up from the table and slipped his arms through his jacket.

"Juliet," he said. "I don't want you cooking any meat tonight."

"Dad, Julie should definitely be eating right now," Jimmy said.

Charles scowled. I have never heard Jimmy so boldly disagree with his father. I pulled at the sleeves of my sweater and began picking at the ends.

"Do as I say," Charles said. "You are living in my house. Somebody else will come onto our property soon. One day without meat is not going to hurt Juliet or your baby."

"Okay," Jimmy said.

I could tell from Jimmy's voice that he was disappointed. Jimmy was raised to respect and never question his elders. Charles gave us a quick nod before heading out the door.

Jimmy picked the bowls up from the table, and I stood. Jimmy put his hand on my shoulder and pushed me back down into the seat. He dropped the bowls into the sink. I went to stand again, and Jimmy put his hand back on my shoulder and forced me down.

"Jimmy, I need to clean up," I said.

"Julie, sit down," he said.

"No, I am okay," I said. "I was pregnant a couple of days ago and neither of us knew. There is no reason to treat me differently now."

"Julie," Jimmy said. He got down on one knee in front of me. He held my hands in his. "The baby is getting stronger. That is why you were so sick yesterday. I want you to take it easy so that the two of you will be healthy. Try to get your chores done, but don't push yourself too hard."

A few strands of hair had fallen out from behind his ear. It was hiding the clear part of his face, leaving him to look like a grotesque monster. A monster was the last possible thing he was; he was my saviour. He was the only person who was going to protect me.

He reached out and rubbed my belly. I smiled and covered his hand with mine.

"Thank you," I said.

"I've got to keep you safe," he said. "Right now, things are going to change. I don't want you anywhere near Tommy now, do you understand?"

"Yes I do," I said.

"Good," he said, kissing my forehead before getting up off of his knee. "Remember that I love you."

"Thank you," I said. "I love you too."

--

For the next few weeks, I tried to avoid looking at Tommy as much as I possibly could. He would scowl at me, and I noticed that his eyes were always locked on my stomach. I crossed my arms over my belly, like I was protecting my baby from his evil glare.

Jimmy did not seem to notice this. He was still treating me like I was made out of glass. He would help me put away the dishes after dinner. He would tuck me into bed and read to me at night. I always wished he would read for longer, but he would kiss my head and insist that I needed to sleep.

One morning, I woke to Jimmy stroking his fingers along my arm. He kissed my cheek when he saw my eyes flutter open.

"Julie," he said. He brushed my hair out of my face and kissed my lips. I opened my eyes wider to see the room was flooded with sunlight. Jimmy must have not set an alarm. We were usually up before the crack of dawn.

"I slept in," I said as I rubbed my eyes with the back of my hand.

Jimmy chuckled.

"I let you sleep in," he said. "Dad and Tommy were going into town today, but Tommy is sick. Dad can't go alone, so I have to go with him. I tried to convince Dad to go next week, but he refused. Maybe we can buy some meat today."

Charles only allowed me to cook meat on Sundays. The weeks were dragging on and I could see how their patience was running thin. Even Jimmy would snap at me if I was taking too long to get dressed or doing the dishes.

I began to feel disgusted with the way I was thinking because I was praying that someone would come onto our property soon. I wanted someone to be captured and brought down to the basement. I wanted something that was going to make them happier. What I feared so much, I was now hoping for. The snow had begun to blanket the ground, so I doubted anyone would come onto our property soon.

"I'll be alone with Tommy?" I asked.

"Yeah." He nodded his head. I could see him gnawing at the corner of his lip. "I don't want you to leave this room. I'm going to tell them that you are sick. I don't want you to leave this bed."

I shook my head and reached out for Jimmy's hand. The last time I was alone with Tommy he had threatened to hurt me through the bathroom door. I no longer had the protection of my bathroom lock to keep me safe.

"Jimmy," I said.

I had my fingers curled around his wrist. He shook me off, and I cradled my belly.

"Julie, don't whine," he said. "Trust me, I hate the idea just as much as you do. That is why I need you to stay in our room."

"What if Tommy comes in?" I asked.

"He won't."

"But what if he does?"

"Juliet." He was losing his patience with me. It was rare that he ever used my full name. "Stop asking questions and just trust me. It is going to be okay."

I nodded. There was nothing else that I could do. I just had to trust Jimmy, like I always have. He will protect me, especially since I was carrying his baby boy.

"Okay," I said. "I'm going to miss you."

Jimmy kissed me. He got off the bed and walked over to the rocking chair. He picked up the orange and yellow knit blanket on the back of the chair. He unfolded it as he walked back over to the bed.

"Lie down and get comfy," he said.

I nestled back in bed and pulled the sheets over me. Jimmy draped the blanket over me. He sat on the edge of the bed and kissed my forehead.

"I brought some toast up for you while you were asleep," he said. "I don't want you leaving this room, but I don't want you to go hungry. We shouldn't be gone for long."

"Okay," I said. "Be safe."

"Of course," he said.

He leaned in and kissed me before he planted another kiss on my forehead. He got up off the bed, and a shiver ran up my spine. He opened the bedroom door and Buster burst through as he jumped up onto the bed. I pulled my arms out of the tight cocoon Jimmy had just made for me so that I could scratch Buster's fur.

"Do you want him to stay in the room?" Jimmy asked.

"Yes, please," I said.

"Alright," he said. "You remember what I said, right?"

"I'm not going to leave the room until you get home."

"Good girl. I'll see you soon."

He closed the bedroom door behind him.

--

I must have fallen back asleep because when I woke I felt someone twirling a piece of my hair around their finger. My heavy eyes opened as my lips lifted into a smile.

Jimmy must already be home.

Tommy was sitting on Jimmy's side of the bed. He had his legs crossed underneath him. His lips curled into an evil-looking smirk when he saw that I was awake.

There was a clicking noise before the cold metal of his pocket knife was pressed against the side of my throat.

"Rise and shine, Jules."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

462 23 16
*NOW PUBLISHED!!!* "Welcome to the festival of the living where we celebrate our lives and those of our brothers and sisters. Let's not forget, we c...
66.7K 3.7K 51
Completed* There was a project to cleanse the world. A unique DNA found in a girl was the key to a serum which would be inserted into a group of peop...
681K 27.8K 42
A spin-off to the Family Comes First series. The Wilcox family became famous for their kidnappings, brainwashing, murders, and let's not forget abou...
150 45 45
As Emily and Jake set out on a road trip in attempts to lessen the strain they have on their relationship, Jake seems to add a little more when he in...