Family Comes First

By masonfitzzy

Juliet's parents died when she was young and she never got to experience having a family. She lived a miserab... More

Chapter 1: The First Encounter
Chapter 2: Brought to the Farm
Chapter 3: Reality Hits Hard
Chapter 4: A Beginning of a New Ordinary
Chapter 5: A New Family
Chapter 6: The Wedding
Chapter 7: Edge of a Breakdown
Chapter 8: A Disturbing Souvenir
Chapter 9: My New Family
Chapter 10: A Glimmer of Hope
Chapter 11: Formulating My Plan
Chapter 12: My Plan
Chapter 13: The End Was Near
Chapter 14: Falling Over The Edge
Chapter 15: My Rewarding Punishment
Chapter 16: Future Plans
Chapter 17: A Bite of Something New
Chapter 18: Clarifying the Truth
Chapter 19: Unexpected Visitors
Chapter 20: We're All Safe
Chapter 21: Threats
Chapter 22: Have Trust, Not Questions
Chapter 23: A Hairy Situation
Chapter 24: Out in the Open
Chapter 25: Please Don't Leave
Chapter 26: Don't Do Anything Silly
Chapter 27: A Bit of History
Chapter 29: Another Feminine Face
Chapter 30: Family Breakfast
Chapter 31: A Peek at Our Future
Chapter 32: Forced
Chapter 33: A Conversation Over Oatmeal
Chapter 34: Vacation's Over
Chapter 35: The New Family Member
Chapter 36: A Blanket of Snow
Chapter 37: A Queasy Stomach
Chapter 38: Taking it Easy
Chapter 39: My Baby's Life
Chapter 40: Tormented by Tommy
Chapter 41: Knock on the Door
Chapter 42: Unbelievable
Chapter 43: Taylor's Arrival
Chapter 44: Emme's Confession
Chapter 45: Dinner With the Family
Chapter 46: Key and Chain
Chapter 47: My Baby
Chapter 48: The Bruises
Chapter 49: Tommy's Girl
Chapter 50: Carrie
Chapter 51: Tell Us Something
Chapter 52: Maybe One Day
Chapter 53: The Deal
Chapter 54: A Death
Chapter 55: A Heated Discussion
Chapter 56: Pack Your Bags
Chapter 57: What A Shame
Chapter 58: The End
Newest Story: FEEDING FRENZY

Chapter 28: Road Trip

9.9K 372 118
By masonfitzzy

Charles spent the day reading at the table. I washed the floor and served on him whenever he wanted a drink. He did not say much to me all day.

It was dark outside, and I had already finished cooking before Jimmy and Tommy came in. Tommy came in first, and he slammed the door behind him before storming up the stairs. Jimmy came in a few minutes later. He raked his fingers through his hair and let out a deep breath. He came over to me and slid his arms around my back. His fingertips were cold through the thin fabric of my shirt. His lips were just as cold when he kissed me.

"How are you feeling?" he asked.

"I'm good," I said.

"Are you?" He raised an eyebrow. "I need to know the truth. It's the only way I can help you."

"I feel great," I said. "We should probably eat before it gets cold."

"Yeah," he said. He let go of me and removed his jacket. "Tommy probably won't be eating."

"What happened?" Charles asked.

He closed his book and pushed it to the side. I brought the dishes over to the table before I sat.

"Tommy's being Tommy," Jimmy said. He reached over and scooped some potatoes onto his plate. "He'll find any reason to throw a fit."

"What was it this time?" Charles asked.

"There were a couple of people," he said. "They were across the road in the field. He told me that we should go over there and take them. There were six of them, so I told him to leave them alone. He wasn't happy about that."

"That was the right decision," Charles said.

Charles passed me the plate of meat and I set it down in the middle of the table. Jimmy looked at me, shook his head, and pushed the plate toward me. It clanged against my plate and my stomach twisted.

"You didn't take any," Jimmy said.

"I'm not very hungry," I said.

"You told me that you were feeling good," he said. "Were you lying to me?"

"No."

"Then take some."

I put a slice of meat and looked up at Jimmy for his approval. He shook his head.

"You know, Juliet," Charles said, "you should probably be gaining some weight. It's not that healthy to stay that skinny."

"We just want you to be safe," Jimmy said.

I picked up another piece of meat and dropped it on my plate. They were still staring at me, so I put another piece on my plate. They relaxed in their seats after that.

"Make sure that you eat it all," Jimmy said.

"I will," I said.

We ate in silence, and only the sounds of forks scraping against the plates filled the air. I ate the meat first so that I could get it over with. Chewing it became easier, but swallowing it and forcing it down my throat was still a struggle.

"I've been talking to Noah," Charles said. "He was shocked that we were willing to come so early. They're very proud of you, James."

"Thank you," he said.

"We'll leave here in a couple of days, and stay with them for a week," Charles said. "I'll tell Tommy. That will put him in a better mood."

Dinner was soon over and I washed the dishes. My hands were in the hot soapy water, and Jimmy came up behind me. He put his hand on my hip and brushed my hair off the side of my neck.

"Come up to our room after you're done," he said.

"Okay," I said.

He kissed my cheek and patted my hip before going up the stairs. I washed the dishes as quickly as I could and dried my hands on the dish towel before going to our room.

The door was open and I closed it behind me. Jimmy was sitting down on the foot of the bed. He grabbed my hand and pulled me down onto his lap. My knees were on either side of him, and he had his arms wrapped around me to keep close to his body. I put my one hand on his shoulder, and my other hand on his cheek. My thumb ran along the indentation of the scar.

"I can't wait to show you off to my family," he said.

I bit down on my lip as the heat rushed up to my cheeks.

"You're so beautiful," he said. "You're such a good girl."

"Thank you," I said as I leaned in for a kiss.

"You're going to love the rest of our family," he said. "Taylor is pretty much my best friend. We have been close ever since we were babies. I haven't met his wife Emme yet, but I heard she is really nice. I think you'll like her too."

Jimmy's smile grew as he talked about his family. I had never seen him look so happy before.

"Gabe is the oldest, and his wife Lindsay is great. They've got two sons now. Dylan is the youngest, and he's only a couple years younger than Tommy. Uncle Noah is a lot like Dad, and Jenny is the best. We used to always look forward to her cooking, but now that we have you it does not matter as much."

He brushed a piece of my hair behind my ear.

"I do not know a lot about your birth family, but you'll love your new family even more," he said.

"I'm positive that I will," I said. "I was never close with my birth family."

"Why's that?"

"My parents were always busy. My grandmother watched us and she drank herself to her death. They died in a car crash on the way home from her funeral. Kind of ironic, isn't it?"

"We will always love you."

"I love you too."

--

I was standing at the sink, staring through the bars on the window. Jimmy and Tommy were outside, packing the truck and the car full of duffel bags. Charles came down the stairs with a bag over his shoulder. He did not say a word to me as he went out the front door. He walked up to Tommy and tossed his bag into the back of the car.

I watched as the three of them talked, but I could not hear what they were saying. Tommy and Charles got into the car and Jimmy walked toward the house. They drove out of the gravel driveway as Jimmy stepped into the house.

"Are you ready to go?" he asked.

"Yes," I said.

"Good." Jimmy wrapped his arms around me and kissed me. "Now, I'm going to do you a favour. I am supposed to blindfold you, but I am not going to."

My lips lifted into a smile. I got up on my toes and kissed him again.

"Thank you," I said.

"We better get going," he said. "It's going to be a long drive."

He grabbed my hand and I followed him as he walked outside. He locked the door, and then we headed toward the truck.

The last time I had been in the truck was the night that Charles found me at the club. I was so sedated that I could barely move as he buckled me in. That was the last night I ever had to go to that club. That was the first night of my new life.

I climbed into the truck and fastened my seatbelt. Jimmy did the same before fiddling with the radio. He stopped at an old country music station. He pulled out of the driveway and onto the road.

"I should probably give you a heads up about my Uncle Noah's family," he said.

"Oh," I said. I wanted to ask why, but I knew I was not allowed to ask questions.

"Yeah," he said. "They do things a little differently than us. They are not so particular about the way they kill. I just want you to be prepared for what you may see. Do you understand?"

"Yes."

"Good girl."

I looked out the window at the scenery passing by. It was nice to see something other than the same walls of the farmhouse. It was mostly trees and farms that we passed, but I did see the odd cow or horse. Something like this would have bored me before, but now I was excited to see something new. The family has helped me appreciate things much better.

I crossed my legs and put my elbow up on the window. I put my head in my hand and stared at Jimmy as he drove.

"What do you want to do to pass the time?" I asked. I knew it was a risk to ask a question.

"I don't know." He shrugged his shoulders. "How about this? I'll let you ask some questions, but just for now. You have to stop once we get to Taylor's. Also, if your questions go in the wrong direction I'll make you stop. Understand?"

"Yes."

My smile grew even bigger. He was giving me a gift. Actually, it was two gifts. He did not blindfold me either.

I had to be careful about what I was going to ask. I knew what my first question I was going to ask would be. It has been on my mind since I met Jimmy.

"How'd you get that scar?" I asked. ' "Which one?" He chuckled.

"The one on your face."

"I got it when I was fourteen," he said. "Tommy and I were playing out in the barn and it was just one of those freak accidents. I fell, and what broke my fall was a saw. Tommy freaked out and got Dad. The next thing I remember is waking up and Dad attempting to stitch my cheek closed."

"You didn't go to the hospital?"

"No. What could they do that we can't? I didn't die. Most of what they tell you is fake anyways. If I went, maybe the scar wouldn't be as big, but that doesn't matter."

I nodded. Something like that should have killed him, but it didn't. Most people probably would have thought that I should have gone to the hospital after the night I stole the key. I was fine though because Jimmy took care of me.

"Now I get to ask you a question," he said.

"Okay."

I had no idea what he would want to ask me.

"How many boyfriends have you had?" he asked.

I pinched the bridge of my nose as I tried to think of all those boys that did not care about me. I never had a serious relationship that lasted longer than a few months. All of those boys just wanted me for my body, unlike Jimmy.

"Seven," I said.

"Seven?" he asked, raising his eyebrow.

"Yes," I said. "But I love you a lot more than any of them."

"Of course," he said. "Now, it is your turn to ask me something."

I turned my head and looked back out the window. We were now driving on a road full of tiny stores and restaurants. This must be the town that they go to. It was so small. I could not imagine them getting everything here.

I tried to think of a question. I was afraid of asking the wrong question and getting my privilege taken away from me.

"What's your last name?" I asked.

"Wilcox," he said.

I'm part of their family, so I guess that made me a Wilcox now.

Juliet Wilcox.

I ran the name across my mind, and it flowed quite nicely.

"Did you have any siblings?" he asked.

"I had a little brother named Malcolm," I said. "He died in the car accident."

"I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault."

The excuse slipped off of my tongue. I never did talk about the accident.

"Have you ever thought about leaving?" I asked. I knew it was a risky question.

"No," he said. "Never. It's safer in our home. That is why we are protecting you."

"Thank you."

It slipped off my tongue as easily as the car accident apology.

"How much did you get tipped as a stripper?" he asked.

"One to five dollars per person," I said.

"Only?"

"Well, yeah. I mostly waited tables, so I did not get tipped as high."

"Why did you mostly wait tables? You are beautiful. You were probably the prettiest one there."

The heat rushed up to my cheeks. It made me think of my last night at the club. Lina was trying to convince me that Donovan had feelings for me.

"My best friend always thought that the manager had the hots for me," I said giggling. "She used to have these crazy theories that he liked me and did not want to see me dancing in front of other guys."

"I don't blame him."

Jimmy was smiling, and I smiled back. I ran my fingers through my hair.

"Have you ever been to a strip club?" I asked.

Jimmy laughed and straightened in his seat. His face was starting to blush. It was rare that I ever got to see him like this.

"Actually, yes," he said. "Last time we went to Uncle Noah's, Tommy, Taylor, and I snuck out to one. That is why when you said you were a stripper, I could not see you working in a place like that. That's why I know that you are safer here."

"Thank you," I said.

"So I have heard you singing."

My stomach twisted. Singing was a bad habit I used to have. I used to sing when I was at work, and I would not realize I was doing it until a customer would comment on it. I did not know that I was singing in the house. I wondered why he had not said anything before.

"Yeah, and you're really good," he said. "I've only heard little bits when you're washing dishes or when you're cooking dinner. I love it though."

"I'm not good," I said.

"Well, I think you are."

"Thank you."

I had to think of the next question, but my brain was dry. I could not think of anything else to say.

"Do you ever feel guilty?" I mumbled.

As soon as I said it, I regretted it. I hoped and prayed that he did not hear me.

"What?" he asked.

"Nothing," I said. "I didn't say anything."

"Yes you did," he said. "Don't try and hide things from me."

"Do you like being the oldest?" I asked.

It was a weird question, but I needed to cover myself.

"Why?" he asked.

"I don't know," I said. "I just think it will be easier for Tommy. He can look to you for advice when he gets his wife."

"Julie, I won't talk about that," he said.

I bit down on my lip and looked out the window.

Hours passed, and neither of us said anything to each other. We pulled off the road and into a driveway. A little house with blue siding and white window panes was in front of us. A rusted car was sitting in the driveway. Jimmy turned off the engine and undid his seatbelt.

"We're here."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

949K 29.9K 51
||UNDER EDITING|| IFFY WRITING -THIS STORY IS DARK. NOT FLUFF- A few long years after moving away from Derry to live with her Father, eighteen year o...
462 23 16
*NOW PUBLISHED!!!* "Welcome to the festival of the living where we celebrate our lives and those of our brothers and sisters. Let's not forget, we c...
119K 3.4K 23
Matilda and her boyfriend Matt are injured in a car crash and left stranded in the rural backwoods of Texas. All the commotion draws the deadly atten...
66.7K 3.7K 51
Completed* There was a project to cleanse the world. A unique DNA found in a girl was the key to a serum which would be inserted into a group of peop...