Family Comes First

By masonfitzzy

Juliet's parents died when she was young and she never got to experience having a family. She lived a miserab... More

Chapter 1: The First Encounter
Chapter 2: Brought to the Farm
Chapter 3: Reality Hits Hard
Chapter 4: A Beginning of a New Ordinary
Chapter 5: A New Family
Chapter 6: The Wedding
Chapter 7: Edge of a Breakdown
Chapter 8: A Disturbing Souvenir
Chapter 9: My New Family
Chapter 10: A Glimmer of Hope
Chapter 11: Formulating My Plan
Chapter 12: My Plan
Chapter 13: The End Was Near
Chapter 14: Falling Over The Edge
Chapter 15: My Rewarding Punishment
Chapter 16: Future Plans
Chapter 17: A Bite of Something New
Chapter 18: Clarifying the Truth
Chapter 19: Unexpected Visitors
Chapter 20: We're All Safe
Chapter 21: Threats
Chapter 22: Have Trust, Not Questions
Chapter 23: A Hairy Situation
Chapter 25: Please Don't Leave
Chapter 26: Don't Do Anything Silly
Chapter 27: A Bit of History
Chapter 28: Road Trip
Chapter 29: Another Feminine Face
Chapter 30: Family Breakfast
Chapter 31: A Peek at Our Future
Chapter 32: Forced
Chapter 33: A Conversation Over Oatmeal
Chapter 34: Vacation's Over
Chapter 35: The New Family Member
Chapter 36: A Blanket of Snow
Chapter 37: A Queasy Stomach
Chapter 38: Taking it Easy
Chapter 39: My Baby's Life
Chapter 40: Tormented by Tommy
Chapter 41: Knock on the Door
Chapter 42: Unbelievable
Chapter 43: Taylor's Arrival
Chapter 44: Emme's Confession
Chapter 45: Dinner With the Family
Chapter 46: Key and Chain
Chapter 47: My Baby
Chapter 48: The Bruises
Chapter 49: Tommy's Girl
Chapter 50: Carrie
Chapter 51: Tell Us Something
Chapter 52: Maybe One Day
Chapter 53: The Deal
Chapter 54: A Death
Chapter 55: A Heated Discussion
Chapter 56: Pack Your Bags
Chapter 57: What A Shame
Chapter 58: The End
Newest Story: FEEDING FRENZY

Chapter 24: Out in the Open

9.5K 419 156
By masonfitzzy

"I was not expecting to see that," Charles said after we came downstairs for breakfast. "I didn't think you would chop it all off."

"Julie did it for me," Jimmy said.

I still had not gotten used to looking at the change. I had memorized the same three faces for the past few months. I learned every one of their details, especially Jimmy's. Now without his long hair tucked behind his ears, his face was much more exposed to me.

"It looks good," Charles said.

"Yeah," Tommy said. "You no longer look like a girl."

Jimmy glared at him and Tommy smiled. Charles cleared his throat.

"I have been talking to Uncle Noah," Charles said.

The mood in the room changed. Jimmy and Tommy went from glaring at each other to smiling like little kids on Christmas morning.

"He told me that we can come over for a visit whenever we want," Charles said.

"So when will that be?" Tommy asked.

"It all depends on your brother," he said. "When do you think we should go?"

Jimmy looked over at me. He was biting his bottom lip. I dropped my spoon as I lost my appetite. Jimmy was the one to decide when his family meets me, and he does not look happy. Was he embarrassed by me?

"Give me a week," Jimmy said.

"A week?" Charles said wryly. "I know she's settling in very well, but that seems a little ambitious for you. You know she'll have to be completely comfortable with the idea before we go to their house."

They were talking about me like I was not even sitting here. I wanted to ask them what they were talking about, but I managed to control myself.

Jimmy put his hand on my knee underneath the table. He flashed me a quick smile. He tried to brush his hair behind his ear. Some old habits die hard.

"Yeah, a week will be enough time," he said.

"It better be," Charles said. "Don't put it off and don't disappoint the family."

"I don't plan on it," he said. "I wasn't going to put it off for very much longer anyways."

Put off what? I wanted to scream.

I stayed quiet and looked over at Jimmy. Charles and him were staring at each other like they were reading their minds. I dared to look over at Tommy, and he was smirking. He knew what they were talking about.

"Juliet," Charles said, turning his attention toward me. "I've noticed that you have started eating more now."

"Yes," I said. "Is that okay?"

"It's more than okay," he said. "You're settling in great. You have really become part of the family."

The heat rushed up to my cheeks and I smiled. Jimmy's hand was still on my leg, and he rubbed my thigh.

"Thank you," I said.

"It's my pleasure," Charles said. "We haven't had a beautiful face since Marilyn - the boys' mother - had died."

It was the first time I have heard any of them mention Charles' wife. There were only a few photos around the house, but none of them had a female in them. I always found that strange. If they were missing her, they would want photos of her around.

Jimmy and Tommy both looked surprised at the mention of their mother's name. Tommy got up out of the chair and dropped the bowl in the sink. He went out the back door without saying a word.

"I guess we better get out and start working," Charles told Jimmy.

"Yeah," he said. "We better."

Charles got up and went outside. Jimmy hung his head as he put on his jacket. I set the bowls in the sink and walked over to him.

"Are you alright?" I asked.

"Yeah, of course." Jimmy looked up at me. "Just a late start to the day."

I wanted to ask about his mother, but I bit down on my tongue. Jimmy kissed me before he went out the door.

--

Jimmy and Charles came in earlier than they normally do, so I was still making dinner when the door opened.

"Tell your brother to get ready when he comes inside," Charles told Jimmy.

"Will do," Jimmy said.

Charles went upstairs and Jimmy walked toward me. He grabbed my hips and turned me around so that he could kiss me.

"Get ready for what?" I asked. I bit down on my lip. I keep forgetting I cannot ask questions.

"Dad and Tommy are going into town," he said. "It will be just the two of us tonight."

My lips lifted into a smile. The last time that the two of them went into town was when Jimmy let me go outside. I hoped he would do the same. It's been weeks since I left the house. Maybe if we got the house down the street in the future, Jimmy would trust me enough to keep the doors unlocked.

"What about dinner? Are they going to eat first?" I looked over at the counter full of food.

"Leave it," he said. "Put it in the fridge and we can have it tomorrow."

The back door opened, and Tommy walked in. Jimmy was no longer afraid to be seen close to me. He used to jump away from me whenever somebody could see us, like he was not supposed to be near me. Now he doesn't do that, especially around Tommy. He had his hands on my hips and pulled me closer to him.

"Dad says get ready right away," Jimmy said.

"Fine," Tommy said.

He ran up the stairs. Jimmy let go of me when he heard Tommy's door slam shut. Jimmy washed his hands as I wrapped up the food. At least I would not have to cook tomorrow.

Charles came downstairs pulling his arms through the sleeves of the jacket. Tommy soon followed by zipping up his sweater. Tommy ran his eyes over my body before he walked out the front door without saying a word. In the corner of my eye, I could see Jimmy scowling.

"Remember what I told you," Charles said to Jimmy.

"I will," Jimmy said. "Don't worry."

"We will be home in four to six hours."

"I know."

They said their goodbyes and Charles left. I cleaned up the kitchen and Jimmy pulled out the plate full of meat. He placed it on the table and sat down.

"Julie, come sit down," he said.

I stopped wiping the counter and left the rag there. Jimmy pushed out my usual seat at the end of the table. He was sitting at the edge of his chair and had it turned so that he was facing mine. I sat and he reached over and grabbed a piece of meat. He tore it with his teeth and ate it.

"Eat one," he said, gesturing over to the plate.

I reached over and took one of the cold strips of meat. I bit into it and struggled as I tried to tear a piece off with my teeth.

"You know I love you, right?" he asked.

"Of course I do," I said.

"And you know that all I ever want to do is help you?" he asked. "Everything I do is what is best for you."

"Yes."

"Tell me."

"You only do what's best for me."

"Again."

"You only do what's best for me."

Jimmy slid his hand into mine. He looked at me softly with his big brown eyes. I couldn't believe that cutting off his hair made them look even bigger. A smile overtook me.

"You're happy here, right?" he asked.

"Yes," I said. "I am happy with you."

"But you love our family?" he asked. "You realize that you are part of our family and we will always love you?"

"You're my family and I love you."

"We're always going to protect you, right?"

His grip tightened on my hand and my heart pounded in my chest. I could sense that he was nervous to tell me something. He looked scared and that made me even more uneasy.

"I know you'll always protect me," I said. I squeezed his hand to try and reassure him. "I'm safer here than in the outside world."

"I'm really glad to hear you say that," he said. "Our family is a bit different, but we do what is the absolute best. I'm so proud of you for how you have settled in here. I know a few things have been difficult for you. But I think honesty is the most important thing, don't you agree?"

"Yes," I said.

Jimmy was making me nervous, and I could feel a lump forming in my throat. I had to force the word out of my mouth.

"We have a family tradition that I have not told you about yet," he said.

"What's that?" I asked.

"The meat you've been cooking," he started.

He looked down at the plate and then backed up at me. My one hand was still holding the strip of meat that I have not finished eating yet. My fingers involuntarily tightened around it.

"Yes?" I asked.

I could not stand the silence because he never finished his sentence. I kept reminding myself that he loved me and was doing what was best for me. I had to have faith in him. I had to. He was the only person that I could ever rely on.

"Do you remember those travelers a few weeks ago?" he asked. "Or that couple on your first night here?"

I nodded.

"The meat you have been cooking is them."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29K 1.2K 34
(Can't be read as standalone) Sequel to The Doctor A year after Jade was kidnaped and brutally tortured, she's starting to settle back into her norma...
161K 5.7K 59
I have finally finished high school. My two friends and I decided to go on a small trip kinda like a little congratulations to ourselves, but things...
241 21 10
This story follows a young boy down a horrific path of murder and cannibalism This story was somehow deleted from my page so here is a bit of a reboo...
2.4K 297 67
"All of them have no arms, legs, their faces are destroyed, and the organs are missing" That's how innocent victims die every day. Faye Collins witne...