What is family?

By serene_fictionist

Angelina Marino The only princess of the Marino family. The world knows her as a princess who has everything... More

Author's Note
CHARACTER SKETCH
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Characters, their relations and ages
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Author's note
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Author's Note
Vince's book - A small peek into it!
A short notice!
Vince's book - A small excerpt
Vince book PUBLISHED!

Chapter 72

9.8K 362 68
By serene_fictionist

Riccardo

"Why do you hate Angel, dad?", Aria asked, looking at me.

I froze at her question.

That came all too sudden.

I didn't expect her to ask me so directly.

I composed myself and looked at her intently and she looked back at me with determination.

"What makes you think I hate her?", I questioned back, calmly.

"It's way too obvious and very evident in the way both of you behave when you are around each other.", she said.

"I don't hate her.", I stated.

"Yes, you do.", she countered, looking straight at me.

I chuckled internally.

My daughter has grown strong. 

A few months ago, she was like a scared lamb and now she is ready to confront me, looking straight in the eyes.

I couldn't be happier.

But I would have been more happy if this wasn't about that girl.

I wonder what's so special about her that all my children dote on her so much. Even my daughter who has known her for just a few months.

"Dad", Aria's voice broke my chain of thoughts.

"You should rest, Aria. We'll talk later.", I tried to dodge the topic.

"No, dad. I need an answer from you. It's been months and I've always wanted to know what's wrong between Angel and you but I didn't want to upset her so I never asked. But now, I understood that the problem is not from her side but from yours. So I am asking you, why do you not like Angel?", she said seriously.

"It's not like I don't like her.", I stated with a stoic face and flat tone.

"Then what is it? I can clearly see that you hate her.", she said.

Sigh.

Seems like my daughter is as stubborn as me.

I looked at her straight in the eye and understood that she is not going to calm down if I don't answer her questions.

If it has come this far then I might as well answer some of her questions.

I looked at her and she looked back at me, waiting for my answer.

"Hate is too strong an emotion, Aria. I just don't feel anything towards that girl.", I stated in a voice devoid of all emotions, looking straight in her eyes.

She frowned and her eyes dimmed a little with an emotion I never wanted to see in her eyes.

Disappointment!

But if I have to answer her, I want to be truthful. I'd rather hide a few things than lie. And I don't want to lie about something that is very obvious and evident, as my daughter said.

"Why?", she asked, softly.

I didn't reply.

"Why don't you feel anything towards her, dad? Wasn't she your daughter before you knew I existed? Then why?", she asked with a frown.

"I knew she was not my daughter the moment I saw her as a baby.", I stated, honestly.

"What?", Aria exclaimed in bewilderment and with widened eyes.

"What are you saying, dad? You knew she was not your daughter? I don't understand. This doesn't make sense.", she said, exasperatedly.

I remained silent to let her process the information I just told.

Her frown started growing deeper and deeper and she took a breath and looked back at me.

"I don't understand. If you knew she was not your daughter then did you also know that I existed?", she asked.

"If I had known you existed, I wouldn't have wasted a seconds' time to bring you home.", I said, looking straight in her eyes.

Her frown deepened.

"It doesn't make any sense. Then what do you mean you knew Angel was not your child?", she asked and slowly slipped into her own thoughts when I didn't provide an answer.

After a while of sitting in silence, with each of us in our own thoughts, Aria's voice broke it.

"Did you uh did you think mom cheated on you, dad?", she asked, hesitantly and looked away as soon as our eyes met.

"No.", I stated, firmly.

I already let my sons think that their mom cheated on me and had Angel for a very long time now. Except Vince, everyone thought that way till Arianna came into our lives.

My elder son loved his mother way too much to believe she cheated on me.

But I also wondered what did he think when he realized Angelina is not my daughter.

I couldn't read his thoughts back then and I am unable to read his thoughts even now. He is still an enigma to me and to everyone else too.

"Can you explain what do you mean by 'no', dad?", Aria asked with a hint of frustration in her voice.

I sighed.

There's no easy way to do this.

I looked at her and she looked at me intently, waiting for an answer.

"When Angelina was born and I looked at her for the first time, she looked way different. Yes, she was just a baby but still I had a doubt about who her father was. So, I asked for a DNA test. The results, obviously, came negative when compared with mine. That moment I knew she was not my child. After that I never looked back nor did I give her a second glance.", I said, honestly.

Aria took a few moments to let the information sink and then looked at me with a confused frown.

"If you never thought mom cheated on you then why would you even ask for a DNA test?", she asked.

I knew she will ask this question.

A few years ago Vince asked too.

But I couldn't answer it back then and I can't right now.

"I am afraid I can't answer that question.", I stated in a flat tone.

"Why can't you?", she questioned.

"I won't answer that question, Arianna.", I said in a firm tone and she understood the seriousness as I address her with her full name only when I an extremely serious.

She looked away, disappointed.

"Then can you tell me if you also knew Angel wasn't mom's child either?", she asked, softly.

"I thought she was your mother's child. That's why I never knew you were born and I never looked for you and that is the only reason I let the girl stay in our home.", I said.

"Your answers have raised more questions than before.", she said, looking out of the window, located a few meters away on her right, while I was sitting on her left.

"It is not necessary to know answer to every question we have.", I stated, calmly.

"You did think that mom had Angel with some other man.", she said.

"Yes.", I confirmed.

"Is that why you didn't like her?", she asked, still staring out of the window.

"I didn't dislike her but neither did I like her.", I confirmed.

It is not the complete truth but it is partially.

"If you didn't like her, why didn't you try to approach her supposedly real father?", she asked.

"I couldn't. It's complicated.", I stated, not dwelling into the details.

"If you didn't like Angel because you thought she was mom's child with some other man then why do you still not like her now? I mean why do you not try to at least be civil to her?", she asked.

"I don't trust strangers.", I said.

She turned her face in my direction so fast that I thought she will end up having a neck spasm.

"Stranger?", she asked in a calm voice.

"What do you mean 'stranger', dad?", she asked, offended and slightly narrowed eyes.

"You know what I mean, Aria.", I said, calmly.

"No, I don't. Please explain why would you even call Angel a stranger.", she said with a hint of sarcasm and anger.

"Can you explain how she isn't a stranger?", I questioned back, stressing a little on 'you'.

"She is our sister. What more reason do you need to not tag her as a stranger?", she asked and I could clearly see the anger in her eyes.

"Is she your sister by blood, Arianna?", I asked, calmly.

"That doesn't matter!", she exclaimed, raising her voice a little.

"It does. She isn't related to you by blood. How can you be sure that she wouldn't one day come to betray you?", I asked.

"You've got to be kidding me, dad! We are talking about Angelina here.", she said, stressing on 'Angelina'.

"I am well aware about whom we are talking about. You can't blindly trust people who are not related by blood.", I stated.

"Why would you say that?", she asked with a look of disappointment and anger.

I didn't reply.

"Do you know something, dad? I mean no offense but the first person who cared enough to check on me when I was low is Angelina. It's not one of my brothers. And here you are saying that I should trust only blood relations.", she said with a dry chuckle and a hint of mock in her tone.

"The bond might form late but it will last stronger. Though your brothers took time to bond with you, they will never hurt you in the future. But I can't say the same about the girl.", I said with a hint of annoyance lacing my voice.

"I highly doubt your way of reasoning. I don't know about my brothers but I am pretty sure she will never hurt me.", she stated firmly.

"Don't trust people so easily, Arianna. The burden of regret will be hard to handle.", I said, trying to make her understand my point.

"I am sure I would never regret trusting Angel, dad.", she said seriously.

"I had paid a heavy price for trusting someone who wasn't blood related. My blind trust had costed me the most precious person in my life. Your mother.", I said, my voice going a tad bit gentle at the mention of my wife.

At that, Aria's eyes turned gentle and she looked at me with a soft expression but I could still see the specks of anger in her eyes.

"I don't know what happened in your life, dad and I already understood that you're not ready to share it but Angel would never hurt me. She will never hurt any of us.", she said, softly.

I looked at her intently and she looked back at me with an unwavering gaze.

"I thought the same way when I trusted that person as much as I trusted my own family.", I said with a small sigh.

"Not everyone is the same. It isn't necessary that what happened to you will happen to us and I am more than sure that Angel is not like that person you are talking about.", she said, calmly.

She was looking at me with eyes filled with hope. Hope that I will get convinced.

But it isn't a matter of few moments. It's a matter of years.

The trust I had on that person has left me with pain and lifelong regrets.

I can't possibly trust a stranger again just because all my children do.

At least I should be practical and have some sense of doubt to avoid my family from getting hurt.

"Dad", Aria called.

"Yes?", I replied, coming out of my thoughts.

"Angel-", she started but I cut her off.

"We'll talk about this later, princess. You should rest now.", I said, standing up.

"But-", she tried to argue but I shook my head making her huff.

I kissed her on the forehead and moved back.

"Don't stress yourself, Aria. We'll talk about all this when you'll get better.", I said, calmly with a gentle edge to my tone.

She sighed but nodded.

"Take care, princess. I'll come meet you after a few days.", I said.

"You are leaving?", she asked, disappointed.

"I am afraid I have to. I have something very important to deal with.", I said calmly.

"Fine.", she said, biting her lip.

"I'll come visit you soon, princess.", I said gently.

She looked at me and nodded.

"Now give me a beautiful smile to get me going.", I said gently.

She chuckled and gave me a bright smile but failed to hide the disappointment and the little remains of anger.

"See you, princess.", I greeted.

"See you soon, dad. Take care.", she greeted me back with a soft smile.

I turned around and walked out of the door.

This conversation with Aria has opened a lot of old wounds. 

I would have to go through sleepless nights for a few days. 

The past has always been a bitter memory for me. I tried so hard to bury it deep inside but one or the other of my children keep digging it out.

Sigh.

I was walking in the corridor and I spotted Theo and Angelina sitting in the waiting room.

As soon as they spotted me, they stood up.

"I am leaving, Theo.", I said in a flat tone when I reached him.

"Good afternoon, da-", Angelina was saying but stopped.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Marino.", she greeted me, hesitantly.

I looked at her and gave her a curt nod.

I never greeted her back but since the time Aria came, I started greeting her back so as to not give Aria a false impression. But somehow that became a habit.

"Aria is alone. Go to her room, Angel.", Theo said calmly and she walked away after giving me a nod.

After she was out of our sight, Theo looked at me.

"Aria expects you to stay a little longer, dad.", Theo said calmly with a stoic face.

"What about you?", I asked in a flat tone, though I already know the answer..

He stiffened at that. He didn't reply and just stared at me.

I chuckled internally.

The pile of regrets just keeps increasing!

"I promised to come visit her soon.", I stated.

"She is slowly getting better physically and psychologically, dad. She is getting happier with passing time. I hope you will not disappoint her by breaking your promises. I always want to see her happy.", he said.

"I want my princess to be happy too.", I said firmly.

"Then I really hope you will keep your promises made to her.", he said with a faint 'at least' at the end.

"Take care.", I said with a curt nod and he nodded back.

I walked out of the hospital and the guard opened the car door for me.

I sat inside the car and leaned back my head on the head rest of the seat.

"Where to, boss?", my driver asked.

"The usual, Kent.", I replied in a flat tone.

He started driving and I closed my eyes after a few minutes.

Slowly my mind started replaying my conversation with Aria and after a while I slowly started drifting into a memory of the past.

Flashback (Fifteen years ago)

I was working in my home office.

Vince was out there practicing and the others were just playing around in the yard.

It was a Sunday but I still had some work to do before spending the day with my family.

Suddenly my phone started ringing and looking at the caller id, I frowned.

I lifted the call and my frown deepened after listening to the other person on the call.

I hung up the call, stopped my work and walked out of the office, towards my room.

I entered our room and saw my wife sitting on the bed, looking down at her lap.

Ever since I saved her after getting abducted by our enemies, she has been a little on the edge.

She did stay strong and is looking after our sons but I can see the pain and fear in her eyes.

I wish I could take the pain away.

But alas I can't.

I walked to her and sat in front of her on the bed.

She hasn't looked up yet and her silence started making me anxious.

"Claire?", I called her gently.

No response.

"What happened, love?", I asked her in an even gentler voice.

"Promise me you won't freak out.", she mumbled softly.

I frowned at that.

"What is it about?", I asked calmly.

"Promise me, Ric", she said.

"Alright. I promise.", I stated.

She shrunk a little and bit her lip in nervousness.

I gently took her hand in mine and started rubbing small circles on her palm to calm her down.

After a few moments of silence she took a deep breath but still didn't look up at me.

"I-I am p-pregnant.", she said softly, looking down at her lap.

I froze for a second.

What?

Pregnant?

We are going to have another baby?

I broke out of my trance and smiled wide.

I let go of her hand and pulled her into a tight hug.

"Wow! That's great news, love. I am really happy. Hopefully, this time we'll get a princess.", I said in excitement.

Only my wife has the power to get me all excited like a kid.

But I frowned when I realized she wasn't hugging me back nor was she excited.

I gently broke the hug and lifted her chin up. 

I stiffened looking at the tears brimming in her eyes.

I placed my palm on her cheek and wiped the tears running down her cheek.

"What's wrong, love? Are you in any pain? Are you not happy?", I asked, calmly, though my insides are stirring with panic.

She should be the happiest person with the news of pregnancy. Claire absolutely loves kids. And also we wanted a daughter since forever.

So I really didn't have a clue why she was crying.

"I-I am sorry, Ric.", she said, sobbing.

"Shh! Calm down, Claire. Tell me what happened.", I asked, looking at her with a soft gaze.

She hugged me tight and buried her face in my chest.

"This baby might not be y-yours.", she mumbled in between her sobs.

I stiffened and froze at her statement.

After a moment, I composed myself and gently broke the hug.

I lifted her chin up and looked her straight in the eye.

"What are you saying, Claire?", I asked as calmly as possible.

"This child could be his", she sobbed out.

I froze.

"It can't be.", I mumbled.

"He wasn't using any protection when he forced himself on me, Ric!", she exclaimed, crying out.

My heart clenched and I felt the air knocked out of my lungs.

"This can't be. You can't be carrying his child. I am sure this is our child, love. I am sure.", I kept saying in a daze.

"You know it is possible, Ric.", she said, burying her face in my chest and hugging me tight.

How did this end up like this?

How could my one mistake cause us this pain?

How can I live with myself knowing my love is carrying the child of that bast**d?

No.

This can't be.

The baby has to be mine.

This can't be happening to Claire!

This can't be happening to us!

 Flashback ends.

I opened my eyes with a jerk, remembering one of the worst days of my life.

It was the beginning of the pain we had endured for six months.

The pain my wife had to endure in the last months of her life.

The pain I had to endure for fourteen years.

But fortunately, the baby is indeed ours.

My princess turned out be a replica of her mother, my love.

Had I known earlier that Arianna was our baby and not Angelina, then maybe things would have turned out to be different.

Maybe I wouldn't have drifted away from my sons.

Maybe I wouldn't have had to carry so many regrets.

Maybe we would've been a happy family.

Maybe I would've ended up being a good father.

But alas, fate had different plans.

I know it is not the girl's fault but somewhere, at some time, I started blaming her to ease my own guilt.

And to this day, I am unable to let go of the resentment.

And after knowing that Aria had gone through abuse at her old house, I couldn't help but blame Angelina for it.

If only she had not been in our lives, if only she had not taken Aria's place then maybe my daughter would never have had to go through that pain.

I know the girl is kind and good hearted and I have never seen her hurting someone, yet I can't help but doubt her.

My children love and trust her way too much.

I just hope she wouldn't break them.

Though I never liked the girl, I never wished ill on her. 

But knowingly or unknowingly, I had been a part of the reason she had to suffer a few years ago!

***************************************************************************

Phew! A long chapter!

How was the chapter?

What are your views on the father?

Do you think his resentment towards Angel is justified?

How did you feel when Anna got angry at her dad for calling Angel a stranger?

Don't forget to vote, comment and follow.

Yours lovingly, 

Author.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.8M 56.2K 132
When two completely separate paths cross by mistake or was it Fate. their meeting may have changed the way their lives plan out forever. Ambitious E...
2.4M 60.9K 100
Marissa Riva is the Italian mafia princess. She has been missing since she was 4. Kidnapped by her own mother. The Riva family was mentally destroyed...
365K 8.8K 25
Adriana Baresi spent her life growing up with her mother and step-father. But one day her step-father goes overseas for deployment and never came bac...
Estella By AVI

General Fiction

75.9K 1.9K 29
15 year old Estella never expected her to flip upside down in a span of few weeks . The unexpected death of her foster parents Getting a positive p...