What is family?

By serene_fictionist

Angelina Marino The only princess of the Marino family. The world knows her as a princess who has everything... More

Author's Note
CHARACTER SKETCH
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Characters, their relations and ages
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Author's note
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Author's Note
Vince's book - A small peek into it!
A short notice!
Vince's book - A small excerpt
Vince book PUBLISHED!

Chapter 71

9K 326 29
By serene_fictionist

Easton

I am sitting outside the emergency ward with Angelina beside me, hugging me, crying badly.

I tried to console her but she just wouldn't stop.

A few times she went to the extent of having a panic attack but I somehow calmed her down.

I don't know why but it broke my heart to see her crying. 

She calmed down a little after a few minutes but I didn't stop rubbing small circles on her palm and back, afraid that she might end up panicking again.

I just wish Arianna makes it out safe. 

My breath hitched the moment I realized she was poisoned.

Who in the world poisons a fourteen year old kid!

But again theirs' is not a normal family.

Sigh.

As I was busy consoling Angelina and dwelling in my own thoughts, her three brothers came rushing towards us.

Though they tried to control their expressions, the panic in their eyes couldn't be missed.

"Why the f**k are you here?", Dylan asked harshly and pulled Angelina away from me.

He pulled Angelina up and hugged her to his chest.

I frowned, standing up and was going to say something but he beat me to it.

Dylan broke the hug and held Angelina by her shoulders.

"What happened? How is Aria now? Did the doctors say anything?", he asked with his voice laced with hints of tension, panic and fear.

Angelina looked up at Dylan with tears continuously flowing down her cheeks and eyes filled with panic and pain.

She opened her mouth to say something but couldn't get a word out.

I can understand her condition.

She was there when Arianna had gone through the pain and she had to see her sister in that state.

She, obviously, would be badly shaken from seeing her sister in that condition.

"Say something, Angelina!", Dylan exclaimed, his voice raising a little.

Her lips were wobbling and she just shook her head.

I remained calm all this time as I didn't want to meddle between them.

But not anymore.

Not when she is so distressed and the boys are failing to see the condition she is in.

I also understood the situation Dylan and the twins were in. They are just worried about Arianna but in that worry, they are failing to see the condition Angelina is in.

I could see the slight tremble in her hands and I understood she will break if they push her more for answers.

So I gently pulled her away from Dylan and hugged her and she hugged me back.

I gently rubbed her back to calm her down.

"Can't you see she herself is scared? Can't you see she is on the verge of a panic attack?", I said calmly with a sharp edge to my tone.

"Why are you here?", Ash, one of the twins,  asked with suspicion.

I just looked at Angel, ignoring their questions. I need her to calm down first.

"No one would dare to mess with our sister in the school. You are the only new person in the school these past few days.", Dylan said in a cold voice.

I avoided his words of suspicion and continued to calm down Angelina.

I don't blame him for suspecting me.

As he said, I am the only new person in the school in these past few days. So it is obvious that the first suspect would be me.

But this is not the time for all that.

One of their sisters is in the emergency ward and the other is on the verge of a severe breakdown. They need to calm down first and focus on what is more important now.

And I also know that them holding Angelina at a time like this would calm her down easily than me.

Despite of the relation between us, I am still an outsider and they are her brothers and family.

I calmed down and looked at the three worried boys in front of me.

"Instead of yelling at me, try to console Angelina. She's been crying for a very long time now. Can't you see she is on the verge of a panic attack?", I said calmly, looking at the three of them for a second and back at Angel.

The moment I said that, I saw guilt and realization flicker in Dylan's eyes and I knew I had done what is needed.

"We know how to take care of our sister.", Ash said angrily.

"Then you better do so.", I replied calmly with a stoic face.

Ace gently pulled her towards him and hugged her. The other two went calm after that.

I moved away and sat a few seats away from them.

I don't want to bother them with my presence at a time like this but also I can't leave without hearing the doctor say that Arianna is fine.

I glanced at each of them and realized that each one of them is trying to assure themselves in their own way.

The way Ace held on to Angel, trying to offer comfort, showed his love and care. And the way Dylan cooled off and tried to assure his younger siblings warmed my heart.

Responsibilities and instincts of an older sibling!

I thought each one of the boys were just spoiled rich kids with arrogance and no sense of responsibility. Well, that was the impression people at school painted about them.

But looking at the way Dylan is trying to hold himself together so that his siblings don't panic shows how wrong the people at school are about them.

The sense of responsibility to protect the younger ones is worthy of respect and Dylan Marino had earned my respect.

They do care for each other a lot!

Although the boys tried to stay stoic, I could clearly see the panic, tension and pain in their eyes.

They are not that good at masking their emotions. After all, they are but teens.

I wanted to assure them but it is not my place to do so. So I just hoped their sister would make it out safe and sound.

After a few more minutes, the two eldest Marinos walked in.

The eldest one, Vincent Marino, looked as stoic and cold as I had seen him for the first time.

The second one was stoic and calm too.

They walked to their siblings and Dylan and the twins calmed down a little.

But the aura Vincent was exuding screamed danger. His unwavering stoic face and the extremity of coldness in his eyes can make the temperature in the room drop and the aura he is exuding can never go unnoticed and unfelt.

The Mafia King indeed!

"How is Aria? Did the doctor say anything?", Theodore asked, tensed.

"Nothing yet.", Ash answered.

Vincent was extremely stoic and his eyes were completely cold and he was exuding a very dangerous aura.

Listening to them, Angelina gently broke the hug with Ace and looked up at her eldest brothers.

The moment Vincent looked at her, his eyes turned a tad bit gentle.

If I hadn't been a keen observer, I would've missed the gentleness in his eyes while he is looking at her.

This is the first time I have seen him drop his cold demeanor.

He lifted her chin up and gently wiped her tears.

"She is going to be okay.", he said calmly and kissed on her forehead.

Angelina sobbed out and hugged his midriff.

He gently stroked her hair and looked at Theodore.

The gentleness with which he was handling her surprised me.

Theodore nodded at him and sat down beside Angelina, gently taking her in his embrace and consoling her.

He squeezed Dylan's shoulder in assurance and patted the twins on the head.

The cold, heartless and ruthless monster that the world speaks of isn't the person that is standing before me. He looks completely different around his family.

But the calm posture of the two eldest Marinos didn't betray the anger that their eyes were showing.

After a few more minutes, the doctor came out, informing that Arianna is completely fine and is out of danger.

I released a relieved sigh.

Thank goodness, she is safe.

My heart clenched the moment I saw her struggling to breathe and the pain she had to go through.

I myself am angry on whoever the person is who has poisoned her. No wonder her brothers look absolutely furious.

Though I am completely relieved that she is fine, my brain isn't relaxing at all with all the messed up thoughts I am having right now.

I decided it is time to leave and give them their privacy.

I glanced one last time at Angelina and walked away, realizing she doesn't need me when her brothers are around.

I walked out and changed my shirt which my assistant has brought for me as there were some blood stains on my shirt.

I started driving my car but didn't have the mood to go to the house I am staying in now.

A lot of thoughts are clouding my brain and I don't know what to think and what to conclude.

I kept driving randomly with all the thoughts running in my brain.

I spotted a small park and stopped the car. I kept gazing at the kids happily playing in the grass.

I got out of the car and walked into the park. I then spotted an empty bench and sat on it.

The atmosphere was good and a cool breeze was giving the evening even more of a peaceful feel.

I kept staring at the kids playing and laughing their hearts off and their mothers trying to drag them back home.

I laughed a little looking at some stubborn kids refusing to leave and trying their best to stay a little longer.

Looking at them reminded me of my own childhood.

It wasn't a great one but it definitely was beautiful.

Or rather, a certain someone had made it beautiful.

Lilliana Miller!

She was not my mother but raised me like her own child when my parents were not in a position to do so.

My first word was 'mum' and I called her that.

Even to this day I call her that, despite the presence of my own mother.

I can't imagine my childhood without her. She is the woman I love, respect and admire the most alongside my mother.

I have always considered and respected her like my own mother. After all, she was the one who raised me when I was a toddler.

And Angelina looks exactly like the younger version of her. The moment I saw her, I froze. I couldn't believe my own eyes.

Even to this day, I don't know how is it even possible.

I had gathered information about the Marinos and I concluded that Angelina is not related to them by blood.

It wasn't easy to gather information about the Marinos.

But the way they have ways to conceal the information, I too have my ways to dig it up.

The fact that Angelina is not a Marino by blood confirmed that she is who I think she is.

But how is it possible?

How did we not know about her all these years?

How did she and Arianna end up in wrong places?

These questions still remain unanswered.

Despite of all these thoughts, I was really confused, happy, surprised, shocked and emotional knowing Angelina is my sister.

She is my cousin in technical terms.

But if I call her mother 'mum', then she is my sister whether or not we are born to the same parents.

If I tell my mother about her, then she wouldn't waste a second to take her home with us.

But I can't.

Not after what I saw today.

I did have my doubts about how the Marinos treat Angelina after knowing that she is not blood related to them.

I had thoughts that they would mistreat her or neglect her but what I saw today washed those doubts away.

The way the brothers held her so gently showed me the love and care they have for her.

Each one of their eyes softened at least a tad bit when they gazed at her and the way she held on to them showed the immense trust she has on them.

Above all, the way Vincent Marino gazed gently at her reminded me of my own father.

He didn't look at her the way a brother looks at his sister but the way a father looks at his daughter.

I was surprised and also shocked to see that bond between them. I didn't need to hear them proclaim big words of love, it just took one single glance at their interaction and I understood the dynamics between them.

The bond of a father and a daughter!

All of them looked like a family and I suddenly felt like I was intruding back then when I was a few seats away.

But is it really possible for a cold blooded monster that the world proclaims Vincent Marino to be, to care for his family with such intensity?

Can I really trust Angelina with them?

Would I be intruding a perfect family if I tell her the truth of my identity now?

Would my family make Angelina more happy than the Marinos?

Will Angelina come with me, leaving her family behind?

Most importantly, am I ready to disrupt the family that looked odd but beautiful, none the less?

I don't understand what I should do anymore.

Sigh.

I want to tell my family about her and give her all the happiness in the world but I am also afraid that I would be in turn snatching her happiness if I try to take her away from the Marinos.

But do they really love her even after knowing that she is nowhere related to them?

Will their bond not change even with passing time over the truth?

Will I be making a mistake if I choose to leave her to the Marinos?

Will Vincent Marino continue to care for her the way I saw him do today?

There are a lot of questions but I don't have the answers for any.

The only thing I know is that I want Angelina to always stay happy even if it means concealing the truth from my family. From my mother.

But will the Marinos keep her happy?

What about all the abnormal traits I saw in her?

The way she flinches when a boy gets close to her, the way she and her sister don't sit together at school, the way she sits all alone in the cafeteria and all the rumors that keep circulating about her among the students and the staff don't stop plaguing my brain.

If her family truly loves her the way I think they do then why would she be suffering with all such traits?

Suddenly my phone started ringing, startling me.

I looked at the caller id and smiled.

I answered the call.

"Dad", I greeted.

"Son", my father mocked.

I chuckled at his sarcasm.

"What are you doing away from home? Your mom is worried.", he said.

"Just some work, dad. I'm talking to mom daily. Ask her not to worry unnecessarily.", I replied.

"Should I be expecting a daughter-in-law?", he asked.

I suddenly choked at his question.

"What?", I asked, incredulously.

"You are taking way too long to come back home so I safely assumed that you are courting a girl.", dad said nonchalantly.

"Come on! First of all, courting a girl sounds old fashioned and second, no, I am not courting a girl.",  I said, stressing the last statement.

"You disappointed me, son.", he said, pretending to be sounding low.

"And why is that, dad?", I asked.

"I thought I could welcome my future daughter-in-law so that she can relieve me of my duty to handle your messes.", he said and I imagined him shaking his head.

My dad can be really dramatic when he wants to be!

"I don't mess around, dad. Your princess and the most pampered youngest son do.", I said.

"Don't bring my princess into this. And about your brother, I wonder who pampers him the most.", he mocked.

"Fine. You win.", I replied, sighing.

"I always do. Anyways, what are you doing, Easton? I heard you are digging information about the Marinos.", dad asked, turning serious all of a sudden.

"I am, dad but there is a reason.", I admitted.

"I know you always have a reason behind what you do but I want you to be careful. You are dealing with a Mafia King here.", dad warned.

"I know, dad. I just ", I said but paused, not knowing what to say.

"What's wrong, Tony? You sound low.", he asked.

"I am struck, dad.", I replied.

"In a criminal case?", he asked with a hint of amusement.

"Seriously, dad? I am really struck.", I said, exasperatedly.

"My ever so intelligent son is struck on something? That's interesting.", he said.

I didn't reply and he immediately sobered up, realizing that the matter is serious.

"What is it?", he asked, calmly.

I sighed.

"I don't know how to say it. I just don't understand what to do on this matter. On one side, I am afraid I'll make a mistake if I leave and on the other I am reluctant to relay the truth as it might disrupt a something that is already good.", I said, not getting too deep into the details.

"What is all this about, Easton?", he asked.

"I can't tell you yet, dad.", I said.

"I trust your decisions and I respect your opinion but just tell me this. Does this have anything to do with the Marinos?", he asked.

"Yes.", I answered, honestly.

"Tony, you know they are mafia right?", he asked, calmly.

"I do.", I replied.

"If this is about business, I won't stop you but if this is even remotely related to their family, I don't want you getting involved.", he said firmly.

"I-", I started but he cut me off.

"Vincent Marino raised a blood bath in the underworld warehouses across the city when his sister was held captive.", he stated.

I know that. It was in the information I collected about them.

But there are a lot of questionable things about that incident too.

It raised a lot of doubts about how far do they really care about Angelina.

"Are you listening, Tony?", dad's voice brought me out of my thoughts.

"Yes, dad. I understand. I won't do anything that will endanger me or our family in any way.", I assured him.

"Good. Now complete whatever work you have and come home quickly. Your mom and siblings are driving me crazy with questions.", dad said firmly and I chuckled, relaxing my nerves a little.

A gentle smile graced my lips thinking about my siblings.

"You love it when they pester you, dad. Admit it.", I said.

"Whatever. Just come home quick.", he ordered.

"Yes, sir.", I mocked.

"If possible bring my future daughter-in-law while coming.", he teased.

"I am done. I am hanging up.", I said.

"Are you blushing by any chance?", he teased.

"Dad, seriously?", I exclaimed.

He laughed and a moment later I joined too.

"Take care and see you soon, son.", he said and hung up.

Sigh.

I feel guilty for not informing my parents about Angelina.

But I can't help it.

I need to figure out my own thoughts before dragging them into this.

The day went on normally with me indulging in my own thoughts, trying to figure out what I should do next.

Also, I decided to go check on Arianna once the next day. I just want to see her doing fine.

Seeing her struggling had really clenched my heart.

Hope she is doing fine.

The next day.

I completed my morning routine and got dressed up for the day.

I went to the hospital to visit Arianna.

And also to see Angelina. I hope she is doing fine. She was really shook yesterday.

I went in to the room and greeted Arianna, handing her the bouquet of flowers.

She smiled at me softly and greeted me back.

She looked weak. But with rest, she will recover. 

And I'm pretty sure the person who was responsible for her condition might already be dead.

Theodore was just staring at me coldly but I ignored him.

I know they know who I am to Angelina.

I wonder why they haven't confronted me about it.

I looked at Angelina but she looked away.

I decided this is not the time to engage her in a conversation so I just greeted Arianna and left giving Theodore a curt nod.

I walked out of the room and started walking away.

"Mr. Reece", Angelina's voice stopped me in my tracks.

I turned around, surprised.

She came running to me and stopped in front of me.

She looked at me and looked away.

"I um I uh", she was fumbling with her words, refusing to make eye contact.

She looked cute fumbling.

I chuckled internally but maintained a neutral face outside.

"Do you need anything, Ms. Marino?", I asked, calmly.

"No uh yes. I mean I wanted to tell you to call me Angelina.", she said and her cheeks turned pink in embarrassment.

"That's what you called me for?", I questioned further, amused.

"No. Uh I will call you Easton because Anna calls you that.", she said in a rush.

I raised a brow at her.

Her face turned even more redder and she closed her face with her palms.

I chuckled.

"Gosh! I am making it more and more awkward.", she said, still covering her face.

I just stared at her in amusement. 

She took a deep breath and looked at me.

"I am sorry, Mr. Reece. I had been rude to you.", she said, seriously.

"I didn't need an apology but since you are giving me one, I'll accept it.", I said with a small smile and she smiled back.

"So, are we good now?", she asked.

"I guess you can call me Easton now, Angelina.", I said and she chuckled.

She looked at me for a moment and hugged me suddenly, startling me. 

"Thank you very much.", she said softly.

I hugged her back gently and tapped her back as a form of acceptance.

"I wouldn't have been able to hold myself together if it wasn't for you. Thank you.", she said softly.

"If you thank me so many times this sweetly then I might get diabetes.", I teased.

She laughed and gently broke the hug.

I ruffled her hair gently.

"You look beautiful when you smile. Keep smiling always.", I said with a small smile.

"So I don't look good when I don't smile?", she asked with a pout.

"I guess not.", I teased.

She huffed and hit me on my arm slightly.

"That's mean.", she said.

"I didn't promise I'll be kind.", I said with a smirk.

She just showed me her tongue and I chuckled.

She was going to say something but she saw someone behind me and her smile dropped.

I frowned and looked to my side and that's when I noticed Riccardo Marino walking towards the room Arianna is in.

He glanced at Angelina once and walked away, ignoring her.

She looked down when he looked at her and she looked .... sad?

Before I could say something, she looked at me and gave me a forced smile.

"I'll talk to you at school tomorrow. See you.", she said and rushed away before I could say something.

I frowned and started walking away.

That was so sudden.

Why did their father ignore her like she doesn't even exist?

Is he not good to her?

Why did she look gloomy all of a sudden after seeing him?

Why is their family so complicated!

I need to find more before coming to a conclusion.

I hope I won't make a wrong decision!

********************************************************************************

Phew! A long chapter!

How was the chapter?

What is your opinion on Easton?

How was his interaction with Angel?

Do you think his family is better for Angel than her current one?

Precap : Aria's conversation with their father.

Don't forget to vote, comment and follow.

Yours lovingly, 

Author.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

338K 6.8K 41
Hey, this book is not finished, but I have been asked to keep it up! I am rewriting it right away, because there were major plot holes and it was jus...
342K 8.2K 25
Adriana Baresi spent her life growing up with her mother and step-father. But one day her step-father goes overseas for deployment and never came bac...
329K 7K 52
She's an innocent girl who lived with her alcoholic abusive father. Her life was barley manageable, especially when she was separated from her biolog...
32.2K 622 22
Celestine was worried that after 10 years of living in misery in the end there really was no one to save her . At age 15 she was starting to give up...