What is family?

By serene_fictionist

Angelina Marino The only princess of the Marino family. The world knows her as a princess who has everything... More

Author's Note
CHARACTER SKETCH
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Characters, their relations and ages
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Author's note
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Author's Note
Vince's book - A small peek into it!
A short notice!
Vince's book - A small excerpt
Vince book PUBLISHED!

Chapter 58

14K 400 70
By serene_fictionist

Theo

"You've been saying that for years now, Angel. But still you can't cook like us.", Ace said with a chuckle.

"I can.", Angel huffed and looked away from him.

He smiled and was going to argue but I gave him a stern look.

His smile dropped and he looked a little hesitant. But I was looking straight in his eyes and he understood that it's a warning to not argue further.

"Yes, you can.", he said with a little hesitation.

I blinked and averted my eyes from him.

After a moment of complete silence, Angel asked in a serious voice.

"Can I?"

I stiffened at her tone and glared at Dylan and Ace and they looked away.

"Of course you can, Angel.", I said with a small chuckle.

She didn't say anything after that and just continued to eat.

Vince and Aria were looking at her but she just didn't lift her head and continued to eat.

I shook my head at the boys and they looked a little tense.

Aria averted her eyes from Angel and continued to eat silently. Vince looked at me and the boys blankly and started eating silently.

I told them to stop arguing and teasing her for unnecessary things but how can they be my brothers if they followed what I say!

After a while of silent eating, Angel stood up abruptly, startling all of us.

"I am full. I am tired so I'm going to sleep.", she said and walked out of the dining room quickly.

Ace and Dylan stiffened at that and I tensed.

Did we mess up?

That's the reason I asked the boys to stop teasing her!

Before anyone could say anything, Aria stood up too.

"I-I'm full too.", she said with a slight stutter, looking straight at nothing in particular and walked out.

"Aria", Ace called out but she didn't turn around and walked away closing the door behind her.

I didn't understand why Aria walked out. 

I rubbed my forehead and sighed.

I looked up and noticed Vince was already looking at me with his usual cold eyes.

He placed his fork down and leaned back on his chair and looked at all of us.

"Can I know for how long all of you are going to act like this?", Vince asked calmly but with a firm tone.

I looked at him with a frown.

"Act like what?", I asked.

"You tell me, Theo. Tell me how you are acting these past few months.", he said calmly but there was a sharp edge to his tone.

"I don't know what you are talking about.", I said and looked away.

"I know you better than you expect and about them-", he paused and looked at the other three.

"I practically raised them and you expect me to not notice their unusual behavior?", he completed, looking back at me.

"What are you trying to say, Vince?", I asked exasperated.

I know what he is asking about but he wouldn't understand my reason and I'm pretty sure he will be really angry once I say it.

"Don't play dumb, Theo. Start talking.", he said calmly but it was more of an order and I didn't miss the subtle warning in his tone.

It's not that I'm scared of Vince but I simply can't defy him when he uses that tone. Maybe out of respect or maybe I just can't hide things from him for long.

Sigh.

Sometimes I feel it is better to be the oldest one. Then you don't have to answer anyone. The position also comes with a lot of responsibilities though!

 I looked away and sighed. 

I took a deep breath and looked back at him and he was waiting calmly.

Sometimes I wonder how Vince has such huge patience!

No wonder he raised all of us without a single complaint!

"You do remember the truth about Angel not being biologically related to us, don't you?", I asked, looking at him.

He stiffened a little and in my peripheral view I could see all the other three stiffened too.

Some truths are too harsh to accept!

"What about it?", he asked, looking at me.

"I realized a few days later that nothing would be the same anymore.", I said with a sigh.

Vince didn't react or say anything. Not even a twitch of an eye. He just stared at me calmly and I know it is my cue to continue.

"Angel knows that too.", I said and paused.

"Don't beat around the bush.", Vince said and I sighed.

There is no easy way of doing this.

Vince is not going to leave this matter until I tell him the reason.

"I have been observing you guys from the very first time you started acting out of character. I waited for you to realize but I think I waited too long. So, no need to hide it anymore. Start speaking, Theo.", Vince said in a firm tone and this time the warning was very clear.

"Aren't you being mean, Vince. Why are you asking only me?", I asked, trying to lighten up the tense atmosphere a little.

He didn't say anything and just gave me a stern look.

"Fine!", I sighed.

I might have sighed a thousand times in the past few minutes!

"Previously, Angel was our sister-", I started but was cut off by Ash.

"She is now too.", Ash said, sounding a little offended.

Vince showed his palm and Ash went quiet.

"She is now too, Ash. I am not saying she isn't.", I said and Ash just gave me a curt nod.

Great!

Now even he is mad at me!

"What I'm trying to say is that, before we got to know about the truth, Angel was our sister, even if we assumed her to be our half sister, she was still related to us biologically. So, it was different back then.", I said and looked at everyone.

Vince stayed stoic, Dylan had a frown on his face and Ace looked a little tense and Ash didn't bother to look at me.

"But now, everything has changed. So, we can't be reckless like before.", I continued.

"I am asking you what exactly has changed.", Vince said calmly.

"The fact that she is not biologically related to us itself changed a lot of things. If we fight with her and tease her over small things continuously, she might think that we are doing it because she is not our real sister. And if we scold her about anything, she might take that as negative too. She will think that we are being strict because she is not related to us.", I said exasperatedly but Vince still didn't show any reaction.

"We are being gentle with Aria because we are getting to know her slowly and if we are the other way to Angel, she will think we are differentiating between them because of the truth.", I continued.

"So I decided and also asked the three of them to be nice to Angel and not fight with her constantly. And what is there to tease and fight continuously! I just asked them to give in to her and not escalate the arguments.", I completed looking at Vince.

The thing that is irking me is that Vince hadn't given a single reaction to what I am saying. He has a completely stoic face and usual cold eyes.

"I fight with Aria daily, Theo. I fight with her over anything and everything. So, I hadn't understood what you told a few months back and neither do I understand it now.", Ash argued with a frown.

"I understand what Theo is saying, Ash. In a way, he is not wrong.", Ace said looking at Ash.

"Stop being stupid, Ace.", Ash exclaimed irritated.

"I am not. Why don't you try to understand what Theo is trying to say?", Ace argued back.

"Because it is completely stupid and I don't like it at all.", Ash argued back and raised his voice a little.

"I don't know what to say. We do argue with Aria too.", Dylan said with a frown.

"That is different.", I exclaimed.

"Why is it different, Theo?", Ash asked in a hard tone.

"He just told you why it is different. Have you been listening to him all this time?", Ace argued and raised his voice too.

"I don't like that reason.", Ash deadpanned at Ace.

"We don't either but that is how it is.", Ace said rolling his eyes at Ash.

"So you want us to be gentlemen all of a sudden. Is that it?", Dylan asked looking at me with a sarcastic expression.

I gave him a stern look.

"I am asking you to not go overboard.", I said seriously.

"What is going overboard? Tell us that too.", Dylan said sarcastically.

"Dylan", I warned and he shook his head.

"You are being stupid!", Ash exclaimed.

"Ashton", Vince warned and Ash stopped.

"Don't forget that Theo is your elder brother. Argue with him as much as you want but I won't accept any disrespect towards him.", Vince said in a sharp tone and Ash looked away.

I sighed.

"You already know that dad isn't good to Angel. So, I am asking at least you to be good to her.", I said with a calm voice.

So many things I can't forgive dad for!

"Do you want us to be good or do you want us to be normal?", Dylan questioned.

"What exactly is being good, Theo?", Ash asked.

"He is asking us to stop arguing over small things and give in to whatever Angel says. We don't have to fight with her always.", Ace explained.

Ash rolled his eyes and Dylan just shook his head annoyed.

I couldn't keep it to myself anymore.

I have to confess my fear. At least then they might realize what I'm trying to say.

"You guys do realize that there is a biological family of Angel somewhere out there, right?", I asked and everyone stiffened, including Vince.

"Biological relatives. Not family.", Dylan said in a hard tone but I ignored his comment.

"And you do realize that there is a possibility of her leaving us and going to them, right?", I continued.

Dylan stood up angrily and banged his palm on the table.

"What the hell, Theo?", Dylan raised his voice.

Vince didn't stop him and neither did he give any reaction.

I frowned at that. He should be the angriest one out of all at my question but here he is sitting and looking at us calmly.

Angel might have a family out there somewhere and her going to them and leaving is something I fear the most.

That fear started the day she asked about her biological family and it has been gripping my heart since that day.

I tried to be normal to her but the thought of her leaving us started affecting me and I tried to be more gentle with her and let go of some of the mistakes she does without a scolding.

I wanted Vince to be a little gentle to her too but I didn't have it in myself to tell him that.

"You are just overthinking.", Ash said with a frown.

"He is not. All of us know how dad treats her. In fact he never even glanced at her once in the past. After Aria has come, he is at least greeting her. Maybe because he doesn't want Aria to get a bad impression.", Ace said.

"What is your point, Ace?", Ash asked, annoyed.

Dylan is just leaning against the wall and trying to control his anger.

"Angel's biological parents could still be out there and when she meets them and they treat her good, which I might add would be far better than dad has ever treated her, then it is possible that she chooses them over us.", Ace explained.

That's one of the biggest reasons why my fear started in the first place.

There are so many things that dad has failed in as a father. 

I just hope all those deeds won't come back and snatch the happiness we created for ourselves even without his care.

Dylan banged his fist on the wall and Ash clenched his jaw tightly.

"Why should she even meet them in the first place?", Ash asked angrily.

I looked at Vince and I'm sure the accusation in my eyes is clear to him.

"Because Vince wouldn't stop searching for them.", I said in a hard tone.

By now all my brothers are looking at Vince.

He just looked at us calmly and closed his eyes for a moment.

He opened his eyes and looked as stoic as ever.

"I want you guys to understand that your change in behavior will definitely hurt Lina. I am sure she is already upset. Secondly, it is evident that this is affecting Aria too. So, I want you to realize and stop with this stupidity.", Vince stated.

"Stupidity? Really Vince? You think this is stupidity?", I asked with a sarcastic chuckle.

"I do think this is stupidity, Theo. I expect you to be more mature than this. Changing the way you behave with Lina is equal to erasing the traits that bonded you to her. Not only you but you are asking others to change too. This is not acceptable.", Vince said seriously.

"I-", I started but Vince cut me off.

"Do you realize that you are indeed differentiating both our sisters by doing this? Being normal to Aria and holding yourselves back while dealing with Lina is what is called differentiating.", Vince said.

I know what he is trying to say but the fear inside me is not letting me think beyond it.

"But what about her parents, Vince?", Ace asked.

"I would like you to forget about it and leave the matter to me.", Vince stated calmly.

"But why would you even search for them?", Ash asked exasperatedly.

I looked at Vince for an answer.

"I told you to leave the matter to me.", he said firmly and it was clear that it was the end of discussion.

"If you stop looking for them, it would solve a lot of our issues.", I said in a hard tone.

"It won't. Because the ones who are raising issues are you guys. Even if there is no possibility of Lina meeting her parents, you would still fear that she would start growing distant to us. Am I wrong?", he asked calmly and I looked away.

He knows us way too well and it sometimes irks me.

"Are you saying that the truth hadn't changed anything?", I asked seriously.

"It did. It changed you guys.", he said calmly.

"It didn't change us, Vince.", Dylan said angrily.

"I wonder what this acting out of character is called.", Vince said looking at Dylan and he huffed.

"Don't let unnecessary thoughts change you. Stop letting your fears control you and realize your mistakes before it is too late and most importantly there might be no coming back if you let your bonds grow distant and weak.", Vince stated calmly, looking at all of us.

He stood up to go.

"Don't let the fear of the future destroy your present. The time we miss will never come back, Theodore.", he said looking straight in my eyes and walked away.

I stared at the table in a daze and my mind was messed up with all the different thoughts.

Is Vince correct?

Or is my fear more reasonable?

There is a possibility of Angel leaving us, right?

Then why did Vince say that my fears are not justified?

"Ugh. It pisses me off that you injected your fear in me too, Theo.", Dylan said angrily and walked away, closing the door loudly.

Ace walked away calmly and Ash sat in silence.

"All these months I was just annoyed that you constantly reminded us to be good to Angel. But now that you explained your fear, it started messing with my brain too.", he said dejectedly.

I didn't say anything and just stared at the table.

Ash stood up and walked away after a while.

I don't know for how long I sat there in the dining room, thinking about my fears and what Vince said until Aria's sudden voice startled me.

"Theo", Aria called me.

I looked to the side and she was standing by the table.

I looked at my watch and frowned.

What is she doing awake at this hour of the night?

"What's wrong, princess? Why haven't you slept?", I asked gently.

She is the only solace in my messed up brain and life.

I couldn't be happier to have a sister like her. These past few months we bonded so well that it feels like we knew each other for a very long time now.

"I couldn't.", she said in a low tone and I stiffened.

"What happened? You look dull.", I asked, concerned.

She sighed and sat beside me.

She rested her head against my shoulder and stared at the table.

I placed my hand around her shoulder and gently stroked her hair.

"What's bothering you, princess?", I asked softly.

These past few months I've got to know Aria so well that I can predict her mood just by looking at her.

I sometimes feel strange about how fast we have bonded and most of the time I don't even remember that we met just a few months ago.

"Is the relation between Angel and you changing because of me, Theo?", she asked and her voice cracked at the end.

It clenched my heart to see her sad.

My hold around her shoulder tightened and I inhaled a sharp breath.

"It is not because of you, princess. In fact nothing has changed at all.", I said, gently stroking her hair.

"It has, Theo. I can sense it. I don't know what exactly but the atmosphere in the house is slowly changing.", she said softly.

I sighed.

What can I say to that?

Is it so obvious?

Vince was right! It is indeed affecting Aria too.

"Don't think about all that, princess. It isn't a big deal. It is normal for changes to take place with time.", I tried convincing her.

I don't want her to worry about all this.

"Do relations change with time too?", she asked.

"They do. They get stronger with time.", I said genuinely.

"Is your relationship with Angel growing strong too?", she asked.

My breath hitched at her question and I felt a pang in my chest.

Is my bond with Angel growing strong?

I tried to block my thoughts from reaching a conclusion. I am not ready for more thoughts in my already messed up brain.

I don't know the answer to that question and I am not ready to know it either.

My bond with my sister is always strong. It need not be questioned.

Right?

"Why do you have that doubt, princess?", I asked.

"I just felt like asking. I just don't want the truth to change anything.", she said sadly.

"What exactly do you feel about the truth, Aria?", I asked.

I have never asked her about it. Even after knowing the truth, nothing has changed in their relationship. 

It is as cute and good as ever.

But I do want to know what Aria exactly thinks about Angel not being biologically related to us.

"To be very honest, I was confused at first. But then it didn't affect our bond.", she said.

We sat in silence for a while.

"She was the first to accept me in this house and family, Theo. I was scared and depressed when I first came here and she was like a ray of hope to me.", she said with a gentle smile on her face.

"That day when she sat outside my room and talked to me even when I didn't answer was the day I started admiring her kindness and compassion. With time, we grew closer and each time she holds me when I'm low builds my trust more and more in her.", she said and paused.

Involuntarily a smile started appearing on my face.

Both my sisters are kind!

"I don't know how to explain it but she is the one with whom I never hold myself back. She is the one I'm closest to in the family and I very well know that she will always have my back.", she said with a content smile.

I smiled at that and tightened my hold around her shoulder while still gently stroking her hair.

"We all will always have your back, princess.", I said softly.

"I know.", she said, chuckling.

We sat in silence for a while, each of us in our own thoughts.

After a while, Aria's voice broke my chain of thoughts.

"Theo", she called me softly.

"Yes, princess.", I replied.

"Can you cook something for me? I am hungry.", she said and I smiled.

"Of course. Anything for her highness.", I teased and she laughed.

"What do you want to eat, your highness?", I asked with a small smile.

She lifted her head off my shoulder and looked at me nonchalantly.

"A knight should know what a princess wants.", she said with a fake attitude.

I laughed and she joined me.

I shook my head and stood up.

We talked and laughed all the while I cooked and we finally dispersed to our rooms after eating. Spending time with her lightened my mood a little.

I kissed Aria on her forehead and greeted her a goodnight before she went into her room.

After she closed her door, I looked at Angel's room and sighed.

She didn't eat properly at dinner.

But I don't want to disturb her sleep.

I'll make something for her tomorrow morning.

I glanced at her door one last time and walked into my room.

I changed into my tracks and sat on my bed.

Everything is messed up in this house right now.

I don't understand who is right and who is wrong.

Am I doing right by being more gentle with Angel?

The fact that she is not exercising her rights on us like before and not making demands freely fills my mind with all the negative thoughts and the moment I look at her, I'm being extra gentle but Vince is saying that it is not right either.

Sigh.

On one hand I have so many things going on in my relationship with my sister and on the other hand I have another problem to solve.

Vince has outrightly denied celebrating Thanksgiving in Italy and I couldn't help but accept his decision.

But Aunt Nina has requested me to convince Vince to send Dylan, the twins and the girls to Italy on their winter break.

I tried convincing her the other way but in the end I couldn't deny her. She is the closest mother figure we have in our life and I couldn't deny her when she requested me so many times.

So, I decided to convince Vince to send them to Italy for their winter break.

But little did I know that I would come to regret this decision badly in the future!

*******************************************************************************

Phew! That was a long chapter!

How was the chapter?

What do you think about Theo's feelings?

What is your opinion on Vince's answer?

Do you think they should search for Angel's biological parents?

How was Aria and Theo's interaction?

Don't forget to vote, comment and follow.

Yours lovingly, 

Author.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

82.8K 2K 35
Isabella Ekaterina is the only daughter of the two most powerful mafia families in the world: the Di Luca Italian mafia and the Vasiliev Russian mafi...
69K 1.7K 29
15 year old Estella never expected her to flip upside down in a span of few weeks . The unexpected death of her foster parents Getting a positive p...
2.3M 58.9K 100
Marissa Riva is the Italian mafia princess. She has been missing since she was 4. Kidnapped by her own mother. The Riva family was mentally destroyed...
78.3K 1.6K 43
Gemma was five when she was kidnapped. Her nanny was just a few feet away picking up Renzo's favorite salad dressing. Gemma was grabbed from behind o...