Cat & Mouse

By SearaSky

Two best friends: one a science/history geek, and the other a daredevil who is always down for any challenge... More

A/N: Fun, Not so fun Facts
Mission Recieved, Mission Accepted
Meet the Crew
Journey to the Past
Arrived
The Expedition Begins
Let the Games Begin
Cats & Mice
Now What?
Blaze
Bittersweet Reunion
Not Alone
The Nest
Not According to Plan
Into the Woods
Making Camp
Envenomation
To Hit on a Yautja
To Understand Feelings
The Cavern
Journey's End
The Last Stand
Savior
Miracles
First Time
Afterglow
Mission Seară
Troubled Times
Clash of Titans
Training Begins: Seară's Truth
Something's Off
Shaman
Happy Ending Nightmare
Wedding Preparations
Wedding Crashers
Burn It Down
Prelude to Hell
All Hell Breaks Loose
Second Chance
The Queen
Epilogue

I Love You

618 22 7
By SearaSky

A/N:

A song for your beautiful ears. Good song to listen to within the last few paragraphs.
--------------------------------------------------------------
The girls donned their bio-masks prior to their departure. They all checked and made sure they had the essentials: their weapons and water. They were going to stick together anyways, but thanks to Noian's warning they definitely were staying together now. Roxy pulled up the map on their wrist bands scanning the planet. Being on the end the Yautja were usually on was thrilling. All three were as excited as they were nervous. "I think we have to get through their obstacle course thing before we get to the targets they were talking about." Roxy said. Nadia and Claire nodded. The girls began to jog forward. There was a dense mountain ahead. It only made sense that this was their agility test. The women all ran into the thick forest. If they had to jump they jumped, if they had to duck they ducked. If it was required, and also if it was fun, they even chose to power slide under objects. The forest wasn't difficult. It was whenever the elevation began to change as they went up the mountain that they had to slow down. It wasn't as easy as tying a shoe, but it wasn't as hard for them as it would've been six months ago. The training was clearly paying off well. They couldn't help but smile as they ascended. Once they reached the top they decided to take a break. They all took a drink and then looked at the map once again. Now they could see the heat signatures of the targets Noian had spoke of. That meant they were correct, and had already gotten through level one. After a very brief break they all stood and began their assignment again. Choosing now to head to the closest trio of heat signatures. They moved to higher ground when they got close enough to see the creature's making the heat signatures. The three women peered over the edge of the embankment. The creatures were hounds of some sort. They shared the same dreadlocks the Yautja had. Currently they were all just lounging and chewing oversized bones. A gust of wind randomly blew from behind the women and down to the hounds. The hounds were immediately alerted to their presence, as they all stuck their noses up and began sniffing. The girls cursed under their breath and quickly ducked down. They began to army crawl away quickly. However the hounds howled and began to make their way up the embankment. The girls were soon face to face with them. They all quickly stood taking a defensive stance. The hounds snarled and charged. The three women simply put their wrists forward. With the slightest flex the net launched and each wrapped around the hounds. One was pinned to the ground, another to a log, and another was pinned to a boulder. The nets began tightening. The girls had to cover their ears and turn away. Unable to watch and hear as the hounds died from the net tightening enough to cut through their flesh as it crushed their bones.

After that, they moved right along to the next three targets. They all huffed as they recognized the three black, canine-like beasts. One of them of course was an Alpha as well. The girls having learned a lesson from last time made sure to stay down wind. Especially knowing that these beasts were fiercer. They began to whisper amongst themselves. "What's the plan?" Claire whispered. "Two of us get into the trees and drop on the two small ones while the third distracts their Alpha. Once the two small ones are out we go for the Alpha together. The strikes on the little ones have to be a one shot one kill though. Otherwise
whoever has the Alpha will be in a bad situation." Roxy said. Nadia and Claire nodded. "Then whoever has the Alpha needs to be small, annoying and obnoxious enough to distract it and keep it distracted. But also fast and able to hold their own just in case the little ones don't go smoothly." Claire suggested. Her and Nadia both looked at Roxy. Roxy nodded until she noticed they were both staring at her, then she glanced between them. "You bitches suck." She complained. Claire and Nadia grinned below the masks. "I do." Nadia said mischievously. Roxy shook her head. Nadia and Claire then moved to the tree of their choice. Roxy stayed hidden until she knew they were ready. Once they were she made her move. Revealing herself from her hiding spot. She didn't even have to try to distract the Alpha. The second the beast saw her it charged her. Roxy shrieked and turned and sprinted away. Meanwhile Nadia and Claire dropped from the trees. They landed on the backs of the two smaller beasts. The beasts roared and began bucking, thrashing and alligator rolling. Claire and Nadia hung onto their tendrils for dear life to stay on. But when they began to roll and slam their bodies the girls had no choice but to let go. They already had the air knocked out of them, and probably earned some bruises. They didn't need to risk broken bones as well. When the girls were off they quickly flipped upright. Extending the blades on her wrist Claire swiftly swiped upwards. The blades ended up stabbing into the beast's jugular. She pulled the blades out and retreated just as quickly. Meanwhile, Nadia had her combi-stick extended to the full length. She made a powerful thrust forward, impaling the beasts chest. When the beast collapsed she removed the combi-stick from its corpse. The pair ran after Roxy and the Alpha. Roxy was pumping her short legs as hard as she could, sprinting away. She could hear the angry snarls of the Alpha behind her. She reached a clearing, and nearly shit herself. Unknowingly she had sprinted towards another one of the targets. To her dismay, it was another one of those colossal scorpion-like beasts that had nearly killed her once already. "Oh you have got to be kidding me! Come on you big bastards!" she yelled in frustration. The scorpion immediately turned its attention to her. "Bad idea..." She grumbled to herself. The scorpion then charged at her as well. She quickly pivoted on an ankle and ran to her left. The canine and the scorpion collided with each other, causing her to snort and giggle as they untangled themselves from their pile.

Claire and Nadia soon caught up with Roxy. They glanced at the Alpha and the Scorpion that were currently circling each other. "So now what's the plan?" Claire whispered. "Well I'm sort of hoping they fight each other. Then whichever one survives we will take down together." Roxy said and the duo nodded. Just as Roxy hoped they began to face off against each other. The girls gave each other fist bumps and then took cover, choosing to hide and observe while the predators figured it out. The canine snarled at the scorpion and then the creatures charged each other. The Alpha ducked below the pinching grip of the scorpion, and remained at close range to lessen the likelihood of getting stabbed by the tail. The Alpha opened is jaws to bite into the scorpions underbelly. The scorpion quickly slammed one of its claws down landing a crushing blow on the Alpha. The Alpha yelped as it face planted. The scorpion began to bring its tail down and the Apha quickly rolled out of the way. Getting onto its feet it leaped over the scorpion's back. It's strong jaws latched behind the final segment of the insect's tail. As it landed it began to whip its head back and forth, tearing at the armored flesh. The scorpion made a God awful shriek as the canine began to sever its tail. The scorpion reached around with a giant claw, capturing a couple of the Alpha's legs. It pinched down and the Alpha yelped, forcing it to let go as the sickening snaps of bones shattering filled the air. The scorpion threw the Alpha aside. Before the Alpha could recover, it thrust its now bloody tail downwards and pierced through the Alpha's thorax. The Alpha yelped and then began to whine as it writhed in agony. The scorpion roared at the victory. Roxy bit her lip, feeling empathetic, as she knew full well of the agony that sting held. She slipped from her hiding spot before Claire and Nadia could stop her. She silently made her way to the Alpha. The Alpha was currently panting between whines. It's flourescent green eyes landed on Roxy when she emerged into view. She clenched her fist and the double blades extended. The Alpha just turned its head away as if accepting, and even grateful. Roxy gently stroked its muzzle with one hand, and with the other she made a powerful and precise thrust. The blades stabbed through the Alpha's lungs and into its heart. Its eyes widened for a brief moment before closing forever. Roxy stood up. "Hey you overgrown cockroach!" She yelled. The scorpion whipped around with a shriek. "Yeah, you. I've got a bone to pick with you." She said and she sprinted forward across the clearing towards the scorpion. She pulled out the combi-stick, applying pressure to make it extend. She pulled her arm back as she sprinted, and she launched it like a javelin, making sure to follow through with her legs to give it extra power. The stick spiraled through the air and stabbed right into one of the scorpion's eyes. The scorpion shrieked in pain. Claire and Nadia came out from hiding. All three rushed towards the scorpion as it thrashed to remove the combi-stick. Following the way that Blaze had killed this same species to save Roxy, the first move Nadia made was using her wrist blades to slice the last segment of its tail off. Claire decided to go low once she got by the claws. She held the combi-stick like a lance. Applying pressure to the middle as she thrust it forward, the staff lengthened and punctured through the scorpion's neck. Meanwhile Roxy extended the wrist blades again. She chose to sprint and then drop into a power slide. She slid under the scorpion as she thrust the blades up. She sliced the scorpion's entire underbelly, caudally to dorsally as she slid down the length of its body. She quickly went back to her feet once she was out from under it. All of the beast's organs were now external, and it collapsed into a pool of its own blood and bowels. "I can feel the effects of masculinity right now I want to go to war! I want a shoulder canon thingy!" Roxy hollered. Nadia and Claire laughed, then the three girls all smiled and hugged each other tightly as they bounced around. "Also I'm totally jumping Archer's bones and I'm going to top his ass when I see him." Roxy added and the other two giggled.

"So that was seven. There are three more still." Nadia said as she looked at the map. "But I can't see them anywhere." She huffed. Claire bit her lip. "They wouldn't make us fight bad bloods would they?" She asked nervously. "No way... That's way too advanced." Roxy reassured her. "At the same time though we are only human so we do have a lot to prove... We killed some of those serpent things after all... Maybe their expectations are high." Nadia said quietly. Roxy huffed. "Well other than Yautja do you know what else doesn't have a heat signature?" Nadia added and Roxy sighed as she shook her head. "But three bad bloods are a lot for newbies. Hell they almost killed my man! Wait... They almost killed my man. Oh if it's them those bastards are so dead." Roxy said as she cracked her knuckles. "Well they didn't specify much. Maybe it's just one bad blood and the other two things are different?" Claire offered hopefully. Roxy and Nadia shrugged. The three females sat down to take a water break but also to collect their thoughts. "So what should we do? We have no idea where the remaining three are." Claire asked. Nadia tapped her chin in thought as she stared at the ground. "Is there a pattern? Like a certain direction we have been traveling to find these things so far?" Nadia asked. Roxy pulled up the map. All three girls stared at it trying to see any kind of repetition. "We have been heading the same direction. Keep going that way?" Roxy said. Nadia nodded. "It's our only lead really." She replied. Once they were rested and satiated the women stood up and continued on their course. The women were making sure to keep silent. Watching and listening in hopes to hear the bad bloods or spot their silhouette as the light around them bent. Even a flash of the eyes, just anything to give away their position. The longer they continued forward the more anxious they became. They were mostly scanning the trees as they knew that was where the Yautja liked to be, or anywhere else high. The females had long since gotten over their fear of heights, but when this process began they made sure to complain about the heights daily until they got used to it. "God... Why does the 'boss' have to be Yautja." Claire mumbled. Nadia and Roxy both nodded. "Especially when we are new to this." Roxy added. The other two nodded.

The hidden male Yautja just observed the females as they moved. Should he make his presence known? Thus far they seemed completely oblivious. He tapped a claw on his forearm thoughtfully. They had really just walked passed not just one, but three threats. As the females continued to move away the three males followed silently through the trees. "Are you guys getting a weird feeling?" One of the females asked. The males immediately stilled as the females all turned around. The shortest of the trio kneeled down grabbing a rock. With no warning at all she launched it in the direction of the hidden Yautja. The male it almost hit just remained unmoving. She was clever, but bad at aiming. She looked at the other two. She picked up another rock, and once again launched it. This time at a different area that was nowhere near any of the males. She picked up a third rock. Giving it a kiss before launching it. This time it nearly hit the male in the face, forcing him to dodge. "Gotcha." She sneered. The male roared as he leaped out of the tree landing on his feet in a puddle. The water splashing from an invisible impact. "Why don't you turn off that fun camouflage and face us like the oversized asshole you are." She taunted. The male roared at her, the wrist blades extended and he attacked. Roxy shrieked as she dodged his blow by jumping out of the way. The taller female thrust a combi-stick forward. The Yautja side stepped, grabbing the combi-stick. He yanked it out of her hands causing her to stumble, he kneed her causing her to completely face plant. Then he threw it away and it disappeared somewhere over the trees. The red haired female launched the net catching the Yautja in it. The net stabbed into the side of a tree and began to tighten. The Yautja roared as flourescent green blood began to drip around the netting. Claire rushed forward, pulling her arm back to stab the restrained Yautja with the wrist blades. However the Yautja used a hidden blade to cut the net and raised his wrist to block her blow. He then landed a powerful kick into her abdomen. Claire was sent flying and landed harshly. The air getting knocked out of her lungs. "Claire!" Roxy yelled and then she whipped her head at the, still invisible, Yautja. But at least now there was blood they could keep track of him with. Nadia was up now too and staring him down. The Yautja made a "come on" gesture. Nadia and Roxy obliged as they both attacked together. Nadia went high as Roxy went low. The Yautja caught Nadia by her throat, and once again side stepped to dodge Roxy, catching her by the back of her neck. He spun and tossed them both over to where Claire landed. The girls landed in a heap. Meanwhile the two males still in the trees made no movements. The girls all groaned as they picked themselves up quickly. They turned to face off against the Yautja again, but he was gone. "Damn it! How am I supposed to tap Archer's ass if that asshole keeps fucking with us!?" Roxy raged. "We need a plan to get rid of that asshole sooner rather than later. Clearly head on we don't have a prayer." Claire and Nadia nodded. The girls looked at the map to find a decent hiding spot. When they did they went to it to regroup. "Our best chance is to outsmart him and set traps. Anyone that has survived one did it that way." Nadia said. Roxy nodded. "We need to find out where it's living." Claire said. The girls nodded. "It's wounded already, so we can kill it too. Especially when we are prepared to." Roxy said. confidently. The other two nodded. "Don't you guys think it's weird he never turned off their cloaking device? Normally they do." Claire mentioned. Nadia and Roxy shrugged. "If it's a bad blood, they don't work the way the rest do." Roxy noted. "Don't you think he was being sort of easy on us?" Claire added. Roxy huffed. "Claire-bear, he threw us around like rag dolls and tried to slice me in half and you think that was easy? It's obviously just toying with us. Thinks we are too weak to take seriously. Well we will show him. " Roxy said confidently once more. "So we found one but there are still two more unaccounted for..." Nadia said thoughtfully as she bit her thumb nail. "Maybe he has hounds?" Claire suggested. Nadia continued to bite her nail lost in thought.

They contacted Alec and Eli. Alec had given them instructions on certain traps, and Eli told them of a plant that, if on this planet, would be able to decrease their body temperature. Eventually the trio, with the help of their friends, had decided the plans were set. They thanked the couple, hung up, and then all left. Going back to where they had the scuffle with the Yautja they began to look for blood trails. When they found them they followed them. The entire time they were staying low and silent while still aware of their surroundings. Eventually they found what appeared to be the camp. The injured Yautja was nowhere in sight. Although it was getting late so perhaps he was trying to find food. Roxy looked at the map so they were able to find the camp again. They began setting their traps. It was not easy at all. Working together they still struggled to get some of the logs and boulders hoisted up. However they were determined, and eventually got it done. They high fived each other. Then all three women went to a river. Going to its bank, they began lathering themselves in mud. They made sure to not miss a single spot. They even found a plant they thought could be what Eli mentioned. But they weren't certain enough so they left it. When they were as ready as they were ever going to be they made their way to their traps and they hid. They had surrounded the camp with their traps, so once the Yautja came back he was sure to set off something. The Yautja did come eventually. Somehow able to get by all traps. But to the dismay of the women, there were two more with it. The Yautja had their cloaking devices off now. Unfortunately, the sun had long since set, and it was pitch black. The women could only make out shadows, nothing else. They used the bio-masks, switching fields of vision until they found one that finally allowed them to see the silhouettes. The injured one strayed away from the other two, heading in Claire's direction. Claire eyed the bar in front of her. If she dislodged it, one of the logs would fly down and hit him. There was potential for him to knock it loose as well. But she didn't want to take the risk of only chances. When he got close enough she kicked the bar. As predicted a large log came swinging down from a tree. It hit the Yautja hard enough to send him flying. As tough as these creatures were, a log that large falling that fast had to do internal damage. The other two naturally got alerted and reacted. Their shoulder canons began to swivel as they roared the usual ground shaking roar. Nadia and Roxy emerged at this point. Roxy sliced the back of the knees of one, and then his achilles tendon making him drop. Nadia stabbed a combi-stick into the side of the other. Both Yautja roared again, but it was a higher pitch than usual so the girls knew they were hurt for sure.

Claire ran towards where the injured Yautja was crushed. After seeing his location based on the flourescent blood, she kicked out another bar. This time it set off a rock slide that buried the Yautja. She pulled her combi-stick and went to the Yautja. Standing on the rocks covering his chest she raised the combi-stick high. Roxy raised her arm to slice the throat of the Yautja on his knees in front of her. "Roxeanne, wait." He said quickly and she paused recognizing the voice. However, she knew that they could mimic voices, so she brought the blade down with a vengeance. Pissed off that the bad blood had dared to copy her Archer. The Yautja caught her hand. "What did you do to him you oversized asshole!?" She raged as she began using more strength to bring the blades down. The Yautja made his plasma castor fire into branches for the bonfire, lighting it up. The light of the flames illuminated the area. The yautja reached up undoing her bio-mask and removing it. Roxy gasped when she saw it was Archer kneeling in front of her. She quickly stepped back retracting the wrist blades. Meanwhile the Yautja Nadia had impaled also removed her bio-mask. Nadia stared up at him blinking. "Baby?" She questioned in confusion. Then tears immediately filled her eyes as she looked at the combi-stick. "Oh my God, baby!" She cried. Blaze made the combi stick retract as he ripped it out with a small grimace. Nadia wrapped her arms around him, crying into his diaphragm. Repeating that she was so sorry over and over again. Blaze just hugged her and stroked the back of her head. "It's alright, Nadia. You did well." He said softly and he trilled at her. She hugged him tighter. Roxy looked at Archer in disbelief. "Are you fucking insane? I almost killed you, you big bastard!" She yelled as she punched his chest. "Wait if you are you and Blaze is Blaze then the other one is Blade?" She questioned. Archer nodded his head once. "Oh my God. Claire!" She exclaimed and then sprinted. "Claire! Don't do it!" She yelled frantically and as loud as possible. "Claire! He's Blade! Don't do it! CLAIRE!!!" She continued to yell as she ran, tears began streaming down her face. Claire heard Roxy yelling. She looked her general direction, as she made the combi-stick retract from the bad blood's chest. Roxy came into view tears pouring down her face, eyes wide. "Is Nadia okay?" Claire asked getting worried now. Roxy looked at Blade and gasped. Blade was very still under the rocks. Some parts were exposed, and if they were they were covered in flourescent green blood. She could also see the blood streaming from below his mask, and the blood dripping off of the combi-stick. "Claire, oh my god..." Roxy said. "What? Roxy you're scaring me." Claire said sounding desperate. "He's Blade." Roxy squeaked out, her voice cracking.

Claire just stared at her for a moment. "What... Did you just say?" Claire could feel her chest tightening as all the air left her lungs. Nadia emerged from the campsite, Archer and Blaze with her. Blaze was carrying a torch with one hand while supporting Archer, his other applied pressure to his wound. Claire slowly turned her head to look down as the combi-stick dropped from her hands. She reached up taking off her bio-mask and also let it drop. Getting off of the rocks, she knelt down beside the Yautja. She reached out grabbing the tubes to his mask as pressurized air released. Her hand now trembling, she removed the bio-mask. When Blade's face was revealed, covered in blood he had coughed up, she screamed. She started hyperventilating. "HELP ME GET THESE DAMN THINGS OFF OF HIM!" She screamed frantically. Nadia, Roxy, Blaze and Archer went over to help her. Working together they removed most of the rocks in no time. Claire began to caress his face when he was uncovered as she sobbed. Roxy and Nadia clung to Archer and Blaze, but they were watching Claire as the silent tears streamed down their faces. Blaze and Archer held them, rubbing their backs. They stayed this way for a while, until Claire's tears were all but dried out. Claire began humming Billie Eilish's song "I love you" softly as she cradled Blade and caressed his face still. The group stayed this way all night long. Claire watched as the sun rose the next morning. "It's beautiful... Like you isn't it?" She whispered to Blade, who was still cradled in her arms. She squeezed him as she started to sniffle and cry again. She began to sing "I love you" by Billie Eilish, not just humming like she had done during the night. She was asking herself, how could things go from so good, to so bad overnight. She would never get to hear his trills, chuffs or coos again. She would never see his eyes light up in her presence, he'd never light up a room again. She would never feel that warmth or safety. She would never smile as brightly or for as long ever again. She wouldn't get to kiss him, and know how Nadia and Roxy felt when they kissed Blaze and Archer. Her biggest regret will always be never telling him her true feelings, that she loved him too. Now it was too late. Everything she had taken for granted, everything she never said, the things they never did. It was all too late. He was gone. He was gone because of her. She killed her savior, her friend, her protector, her teacher and her love.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

158K 4.8K 11
To her kingdom she was simply a princess of no worth, a perfect commodity to use and trade at their will. Behind her back, the deal has been struck a...
175K 7.4K 33
Leoni, who's been used as a science experiment for Weyland-Yutani Industries, escapes the facility she's being held at when an extraterrestrial attac...
24.4K 1.4K 29
In winning, she lost everything. Mourning Crow was kidnapped at age 13 and forced to compete in a 1000yr death match. She won the final showdown, and...
21.7K 980 31
Rae had never believed in fate or destiny. Her father had once said stories were shaped by choice, that she had the power to carve out her own path...