What is family?

By serene_fictionist

Angelina Marino The only princess of the Marino family. The world knows her as a princess who has everything... More

Author's Note
CHARACTER SKETCH
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Characters, their relations and ages
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Author's note
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Author's Note
Vince's book - A small peek into it!
A short notice!
Vince's book - A small excerpt
Vince book PUBLISHED!

Chapter 46

18.8K 510 56
By serene_fictionist

Theo

"Good night, princess.", I wished Aria, kissed on her forehead and walked out of her room closing the door.

I know that she is not asleep and I clearly noticed the tear streaks on her cheeks.

Sigh.

I feel bad for denying her outright. But, we don't want her to get into any trouble and we want to keep her as safe as possible.

But, I can't ignore her tears either.

So, right now here I am walking to Vince's office.

I walked to his office and barged in without knocking. We never knock while going to his office. If someone else does that, Vince would definitely not spare them, but of course he is used to our barging into his office.

Vince was seriously working on some file and didn't pay any attention to my sudden interruption. I walked in and plopped myself on the chair opposite to his.

"Vince, we have to talk.", I said.

"Talk.", he said, not taking his eyes off the file.

"I think we should let Aria go for the sleepover.", I said seriously and that got his attention.

He looked up at me and raised a brow.

"She wants to go and we can't outrightly deny her.", I said and Vince leaned back on his chair with his index finger under his chin.

"And is it safe to send her to this sleepover?", he asked calmly.

"I know why all of us are against this idea, but it is not necessary that what happened in the past will happen again.", I said.

"What are the chances that it won't happen again?", he asked with the same calm voice.

I sighed and looked away.

"You do know that it can happen again. Then why should I take chances?", he asked calmly.

"There is as much probability of not happening as there is for happening.", I said still not looking at him.

"You yourself are unsure about your stats. You do realize the kind of businesses we run, don't you? And you do know what kind of threats loom over us.", he stated calmly.

"But, what about Aria? You can't deny her the smallest of the things that a normal teenager does.", I said looking at him.

"The price we paid the last time something happened is too huge. Neither you nor I are ready to go through that again. So, I am not taking any chances regarding their safety.", he stated firmly.

I took a deep breath remembering the past. 

I definitely don't want the past to repeat!

But, again I can't ignore Aria's disappointment either.

Ugh.

I myself am conflicted about what to do. How am I going to convince Vince!

"Aria is trying to fight her past and live her life in a normal way. And she is just starting to trust us. Denying something so simple as a sleepover at a friend's house will surely impact the progress she made till now.", I said looking at him and he didn't say anything.

"You wanted all of your siblings to enjoy their teenage and live their life to the fullest, Vince. But, you yourself are not letting Aria do that.", I said and Vince still had a blank expression but I know that he is considering my thoughts.

"The sister who had refused to call us even when Ash left her in the middle of the road, has gained enough courage and trust to ask you for something. This is the first time Aria herself is asking for something and can you deny that?", I asked.

"She is slowly developing trust and courage, Vince. If she loses it now, it will take another few months to regain it.", I said, desperately trying to convince him.

And trust me, it is not at all easy to convince Vince!

But I can see he is giving a thought to my reasoning.

"I will let her go. But what is wrong in placing a bodyguard outside the room she will be staying in?", Vince asked calmly.

I don't know if I should laugh at him or cry for him!

Vince had never had any friends. For some reason, he never made any friends since his childhood.

And don't even get me started about his teenage years!

There is hardly anything he enjoyed as a teenager. Burdened by the responsibilities of his siblings, he never got to enjoy his life.

That is one of the few things I will never forgive dad for!

"Her friends will feel awkward if you do that, Vince.", I said.

"Why? The guard will stand outside the door. He won't go into their room, unless until it is necessary.", Vince said and I shook my head.

"It would make them awkward as long as the guard is in their house. Not just them but also their parents.", I said.

He didn't say anything for a while and then picked up the file he was working on before, clearly dismissing me.

I sighed and got up to go.

I hope he understood my point.

Just before leaving, I turned around.

"In the process of being protective, I hope we don't end up being overbearing.", I said and walked out of the room.

I didn't mean to say that. I know it will hurt Vince. I know he never wants to be overbearing and he just wants to keep us safe, but I also wanted him to understand the way Aria would feel with this constant protectiveness.

We know and understand his decisions, but Aria won't. We can't even tell her the reason. 

In fact, we can't even tell her about the type of businesses we handle. She would get scared. 

We will tell her some day, but not yet.

I just hope Vince would let her go to the sleepover.

I slept thinking about all these. Next morning, I and Vince, as usual woke up early and went to the gym for our daily workout.

After that, I completed my morning routine, got dressed and went to the kitchen and as usual Vince was already there, checking some important things on his phone and sipping his black coffee.

I made mine and sat down, but neither of us has spoken a word.

As usual, after everyone settled down, we started our breakfast.

Though, Aria wished us as usual, I didn't miss the sadness in her voice.

Mid way through the breakfast, Vince cleared his throat, gaining everyone's attention.

"Arianna, you can go to the sleepover.", he said and everyone froze in their seats and Aria looked at Vince shocked and surprised.

I myself am surprised. How come he accepted!

"What the hell!", Dylan said harshly.

"Why?", Ace asked with a frown.

"What!", Ash said with a small frown and hard tone.

Angel looked at Vince shocked and a with a little frown but didn't say anything.

"But it's allowed only for one night, Arianna. No extending it beyond that.", he said firmly.

But before Aria could answer, Ace beat her to it.

"Why would you allow that, Vince? You know it's not safe, don't you?", Ace asked with a frown and his voice is laced with a hint of worry.

"I'll take care of that.", Vince said firmly and in a voice that left no room for argument.

 I slightly narrowed my eyes at him, wondering what he has planned. Because, I know Vince wouldn't allow us to go anywhere without security. I just hope Aria doesn't feel uncomfortable.

"When is the sleepover?", Vince asked calmly looking at Aria.

"Tomorrow night.", Aria answered coming out of her shock.

"No going out of the house and call us if anything goes wrong. Don't break the rules, Arianna. Unless you want it to be the last time to go over to your friends' house.", Vince said looking into Aria's eyes.

"Okay.", Aria said biting her lips and looked away.

I know Vince sounded too stern but I also understand his concern and worries. 

Whatever happened in the past affected Vince the most. So, it is very normal for him to be stern about our safety.

The breakfast was a silent affair. No one spoke anything after that and Dylan and the twins look extremely pissed.

After breakfast, everyone left for school and I knew it is the best time to confront Vince.

"What did you plan, Vince?", I asked looking at him and he raised a brow at me amused.

"What do you mean?", he asked.

"I know you wouldn't just let Aria go to someone's house without security. So, I'm asking about the security details.", I said.

"The guards will be discretely surrounding her friend's house.", he said.

"How many guards?", I asked.

"Don't negotiate with me on this Theo or else the whole sleepover plan is off.", he said firmly looking at me.

"Don't send too many, Vince. Their house is in the residential area and the last thing you want to do is make their parents anxious and overwhelmed.", I said sighing.

"I know. The guards will be as discrete as possible. Unless until a problem arises, they won't blow their cover.", he said calmly.

I nodded at him and we went our ways to carry on with our works.

Arianna

I can go over to my friend's house for a sleepover!

Vince actually accepted it!

I am so happy and excited right now. This is the first time I'm experiencing all this. To be honest, I am a little nervous too. I just don't want to mess up anything as I don't know one bit about sleepovers.

But, like my psychiatrist, Kaylee said, there is always a first time and that I shouldn't back away even before giving a try. So, I must forget about my insecurities and enjoy the moment while it lasts.

Ash was grumpy the whole ride to the school. I tried to talk to him but he just glared at me and turned away.

The school went as usual and I told my friends that Vince accepted to send me over to Leah's house and all of them were pretty excited.

Tomorrow is a Saturday and we planned it tomorrow, as the next day we will have a holiday to take rest.

The day passed by with Dylan and the twins being grumpy and sulking the whole day. Theo seemed happy and normal and it is impossible to read Vince's emotions so I decided to stop the efforts to decipher his emotions and expressions.

Whereas, though Angel is being her usual self, I pretty well know that even she is displeased with Vince's approval to my request. She didn't say anything though.

After school, I came home and started packing all that is needed for a sleepover. Angel helped me to pack my things all the while telling me how I should be safe and cautious.

"Don't go out of the house, Anna. If your friends get any crazy ideas that include you stepping out of their house, you better don't do that or simply call us.", she said lying on my bed while I was thinking what all is left to take.

"Oh and call Vince or Theo if you get the slightest doubt about anyone in their house. Also don't forget to call Vince or Theo if you find any suspicious activities in their house. And-", she kept on speaking but I cut her off.

"This is the millionth time you are repeating the same thing, Angel.", I said exasperatedly and she pouted and sat up on the edge of the bed.

"Just be safe and don't trust anyone blindly and call us if-", she started again and I silenced her by hugging her tightly.

I am deeply moved by her concern and I can't be any more happier to get a sister like her.

But I also felt bad that I have to leave her alone. 

On one hand, I don't want to leave her alone and enjoy with my friends and on the other hand, I want to experience all the things I couldn't do as a child.

With these thoughts running in my brain, I hugged her even more tighter.

"Relax, Anna. You'll be fine. Just be a little cautious.", she said softly but I didn't break the hug.

"I will be. But why don't you come with me too!", I asked in a low voice and she chuckled.

"Maybe some other time but not today.", she said and I sighed.

"But you'll be all alone.", I said still not breaking the hug.

"Alone? There are 5 male species in this house for me to annoy and irritate.", she said enthusiastically and I laughed.

Of course! Nothing less can be expected from Angelina!

"Go and enjoy the night, Anna. I will enjoy riling up the guys too. I'll fill you on the details when you come home tomorrow.", she said and I chuckled.

I broke the hug gently and smiled at her and she gave me a smile back.

"I'm already getting ideas on how to rile up Dyl.", she said with a lopsided grin and I couldn't help but laugh.

"Why do you annoy him so much?", I asked with a smile checking my bag one last time.

"Because it is fun. Just like how you like riling up Ash.", she said and I shook my head smiling.

"Everything is packed.", I announced and took my bag to leave.

Angel hugged me one last time.

"Remember all the safety measures I told you.", she said and I hummed.

I just wish Angel could let go of her inhibitions and start making friends. I know it will take time but I just don't want it to be too late.

Dylan and the twins were not at all happy and kept asking Theo to cancel the plan but Theo royally ignored them and hugged me and reminded me of all the rules and finally the driver dropped me at Leah's house.

I was really nervous about entering her house, so I called her and she came down to receive me.

She then introduced me to her parents and I greeted them with a small smile. Leah is an only child, so there are only three people in her house including her. There sure are some maids and a butler. 

Her house was big too. It is a mansion, but not as big as the mansion I stay at. Her father was still handsome for his age and her mother is very beautiful too.

Leah's mother is a very sweet lady in her early forties who is a social activist and an interior designer. Her father is a businessman and seems super cool.

Julia was already there and Mae came after a few minutes of my arrival. 

I was getting nervous about the whole thing and seems like Mae noticed it.

"Hey, you look tensed.", she said and the other two looked at me.

"Uh no everything is fine.", I said and even the lamest person on earth can sense my nervousness.

Way to go, Arianna! 

"Relax, Aria. We won't eat you up.", Leah joked and I smiled.

"Come on! Spill the beans. Why do you look so nervous?", Julia said.

"It's just that this is my first sleepover.", I said and immediately regretted it.

What the hell Arianna!

Why would I say that?

Why do I have to embarrass myself like this!

Now what would they think?

Would they regret calling me over?

Why am I overthinking again!

"Hey Aria, relax. It's fine. Everything has a first time and this is yours.", Mae said squeezing my hand gently and Julia and Leah nodded.

I smiled at them gratefully.

"Well then if this is your first sleepover, let's make it the best!", Leah chirped and we all chuckled and nodded at her.

The whole night, we did everything and anything that came to our mind.

We watched some extremely scary movies and we did all kinds of weird stuff and played stupid games.

We laughed, fought playfully and teased each other about our experiences and even went as far as participating in a pillow fight.

It was an amazing experience and I totally loved it.

At first, I was very nervous but as time passed by, I got more comfortable and enjoyed the night freely.

After fourteen years of my life, I'm finally living my life like a normal teenager with three understanding friends, five weird but caring brothers and finally one crazy and amazing sister.

What more could I ask for!

But, why do I have the feeling that this peace is just superficial!

Why do I feel that there is more than what meets my eye!

And why do I feel that everything is not perfect yet!

*****************************************************************************

Here's the next chapter!

How was the chapter?

What are your views on Vince?

Do you think he is being overbearing?

What is your opinion on Theo?

How was the interaction between Angel and Aria?

What do you think about Aria's friends?

Don't forget to vote, comment and follow.

Yours lovingly, 

Author.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

365K 8.8K 25
Adriana Baresi spent her life growing up with her mother and step-father. But one day her step-father goes overseas for deployment and never came bac...
96.3K 2.4K 40
Isabella Ekaterina is the only daughter of the two most powerful mafia families in the world: the Di Luca Italian mafia and the Vasiliev Russian mafi...
1.2M 31.2K 80
//Highest ranking: #4 in happyending// #1 in possessive// Angelina is a 16 years old girl. She is just like her nam...
2.4M 60.9K 100
Marissa Riva is the Italian mafia princess. She has been missing since she was 4. Kidnapped by her own mother. The Riva family was mentally destroyed...