What is family?

By serene_fictionist

Angelina Marino The only princess of the Marino family. The world knows her as a princess who has everything... More

Author's Note
CHARACTER SKETCH
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Characters, their relations and ages
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Author's note
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Author's Note
Vince's book - A small peek into it!
A short notice!
Vince's book - A small excerpt
Vince book PUBLISHED!

Chapter 39

21.7K 583 134
By serene_fictionist

Arianna

"Dad, since Angelina is not biologically related to you, she looks neither like you nor like mom. So, did you ever not feel weird about it?", I asked looking at dad and he stiffened.

"I didn't notice.", he said clutching the steering wheel tightly.

"You didn't?", I asked.

"I was too busy to notice.", he said tightening his hold on the steering wheel. His hold was so tight that his knuckles turned white.

That's very weird!

Who would not notice the facial features of their kids, no matter how busy they are!

I feel there is more to the story than what dad is telling. I won't force him though! If I'm not comfortable enough to share my past with him, I can't expect him to answer all my questions truthfully.

So, I didn't push the matter further and just looked out of the window at the passing road. There was silence in the car for a while, each of us in our own thoughts.

"Aria", dad called me and I looked at him and hummed.

"How is your relationship with Angelina?", he asked and I sensed a hint of hesitance in his tone.

"It is great!", I said with a smile.

It is true. My relationship with Angelina is getting better day by day. In the past two days, we talked a lot and watched a couple of movies and shared our tastes and opinions. I felt good spending time with her. We are already like friends.

"So, you get along well with her, I suppose.", dad said and I nodded.

"Was she rude to you anytime?", he asked and I frowned.

Angelina and rude?

Doesn't fit in the same sentence.

"She is too sweet to be rude to anyone.", I said and he chuckled.

"Expected as much.", he said and shook his head slightly.

"But she doesn't have any friends. She is all alone at school.", I said.

"Is it?", he asked.

"Yes. I even called her to join me with my friends, but she said she does not want to.", I said with a little disappointment.

"Did she tell you the reason why?", he asked.

"She did. She said it is not that she doesn't want to but because she can't. I asked her what she meant but she dodged that topic.", I said and sighed.

Dad didn't say anything and his hold on the steering wheel tightened again and I could see a faint frown on his face. 

I thought he would say something but he didn't. There was just silence in the car, so I decided to ask some more questions.

"What does Vince do for a living, dad?", I asked and he stiffened yet again.

"He handles a lot of businesses along with Theo.", he said, but I feel there is more to it. Otherwise why did he stiffen at my question. It was just a simple question.

I just hummed and looked away. After a few minutes of silent ride, we reached the mansion. None of us spoke till we reached home. The atmosphere suddenly turned serious after we talked about Angelina.

Or am I imagining it?

Wait.

I have more important things to worry about.

I don't even know how I feel about the whole swapping thing and it is quite awkward to face all of them after knowing the truth.

Sigh.

My life is so interesting!

Note the sarcasm.

We walked into the mansion and a guard told us that everyone is waiting for us in the dining room. So, we walked to the dining room and everyone is already seated. 

As soon as we walked in, everyone stood up. I guess, out of respect for dad, they stood up as he came in.

We walked to the table and I went to my usual seat. I noticed Vince stood at the seat opposite to mine and Angelina, Dylan and Ace moved to the next seat than usual, leaving the head of the table for dad.

Dad walked to his seat and sat down and then all of us sat. I looked at him and noticed his face has turned stoic and eyes blank and cold. Just like Vince.

But Vince's eyes are much colder than usual. All of them greeted dad and dad greeted them back in an emotionless voice.

Dad was very soft and gentle around me then why the sudden change?

I don't know and no one seems ready to tell me so I'm going to just leave it.

"Good evening, da-", Angelina greeted but stopped at the end and cleared her throat.

"Good evening, Angelina.", dad greeted. His voice went a little soft at her, but far less gentle than the one he spoke to me with.

Angelina looked quite tensed and is just looking down at her plate. Vince cleared his throat and ordered the dinner to be served.

The dinner was served and we started eating silently. No one spoke a word. In fact, I could feel a huge tension in the room.

I don't know why but I feel the tension is between Vince and dad. Dad had a stoic face and Vince's eyes are colder than usual.

He's scary!

On the other hand, Angelina looks extremely tensed. She hasn't lifted her head since the dinner started. She's just picking at her food and not actually eating.

I wonder what's wrong!

After a while of eating in silence, Angelina stood up suddenly, startling everyone. She didn't look at anyone. Her body was tensed and palms fisted. I could see sweat droplets on her forehead.

"I-I'm not feeling w-well.", she said and walked out of the dining room quickly.

What was that?

Did Angelina just stutter?

Weird!

"Angel", Ace called and was going to stand up but Vince's voice stopped him.

"Complete your dinner, Ace.", Vince said firmly and Ace didn't say anything after that.

We completed our dinner and it was quite suffocating to sit in the room for long as I could clearly feel the rising tension. 

After dinner, dad kissed me on my forehead and wished me a good night and I wished him back with a huge smile.

I was going upstairs to my room and remembered how Angelina walked out of the dining room. I thought of checking if she's okay, but Theo beat me to it.

He walked into her room and closed the door.

I sighed and walked to my room. I'm sure he'll manage Angelina well.

I freshened up and slept peacefully after a long time. 

Next morning, I woke up and saw a note at my bed side table. I picked it up and read.

Dear Princess, 

I have a very important matter to handle, so I'm leaving. 

Sorry for not saying bye personally.

I will come back soon.

From, 

Dad.

I felt bad that he left without saying bye, but he said sorry so I'm going to just forget about it. We just met yesterday and he left. I don't even know what to think or feel.

I completed my morning routine and got dressed in my school uniform.

I stood in front of the mirror setting my hair. That's when I remembered dad telling me to fight for the bond I wish to establish with my brothers.

I sighed.

There is no use of just me fighting to establish the bond. For fourteen years I tried every day to be a perfect daughter and do everything the way they asked me to. I tried to do everything they asked and got the perfect grades always, hoping they would accept me and love me like I want them to, but in the end I got nothing but hurt.

So, now I'm not going to fight for the bond and neither am I going to hope. I will be good to them if they are good to me and try from my side when they be willing to try from their side.

I took a deep breath and walked to the dining room. The breakfast went as usual, but today everyone seemed a little off.

Am I the only one who is actually a little happy today after talking to dad yesterday?

Seems like there is something going on here but I have no idea what. Angelina greeted everyone in general and she didn't meet my eyes today. It was like she was hesitant to look at me.

If I'm not wrong, it's probably because I got to know the truth.

Sigh.

Is the one bond I formed also wavering now?

Ugh.

Can't my life be more normal!

After breakfast, as usual Ash was waiting for me in the car and we drove to the school.

Seeing everyone's mood in the morning, I thought Ash wouldn't speak to me, but he surprised me by saying the same thing he's been saying while dropping me in the school.

"Don't get into any fights and call us if anything goes wrong or anyone messes with you.", he said seriously looking at me.

I took a deep breath and turned towards him and looked straight into his eyes.

"No. I won't.", I said firmly.

He looked a little shocked and surprised by my answer.

Only I know how much courage I had to muster to give that answer without stuttering.

"What?", he asked still surprised.

I fisted my palms and took a deep breath.

"I won't call you if there is a problem.", I said.

"What do you mean?", he asked with a frown.

"You know what I mean.", I said.

"Don't provoke me, Arianna. Just follow my words.", he said firmly and his eyes turned a little cold.

"I'll do whatever I want.", I said seriously and quickly got out of the car, closed the door and walked away.

Phew!

I thought I was going to die out of anxiety.

He still scares me.

I walked out now but I'm going to have to face him while he comes to pick me up from the school.

But this time I'm going to stay strong on my word. If they don't want to get to know me and accept me then they don't have a right to order me around either.

I'm doing this trusting dad's words. If something goes wrong, I'm never listening to dad again.

The school went as usual except for the fact that Elena came to school today. I thought Theo said he will get her removed from the school but maybe it didn't go well.

She looked at me. No. She glared at me when she passed by my table at the cafeteria and I looked at her with a bored expression.

I'm not going to give the reaction she wants from me.

On the other hand, Angelina looked down and walked away whenever our eyes met. I can see she's feeling guilty.

I myself don't know what I'm feeling right now, but I don't hold any grudge against her. It is not her fault. I'll talk to her at home. I think she didn't sleep properly today too as she looks more weak and her dark circles are very much visible.

School ended and as usual Ash was waiting for me in his car. 

I took a deep breath, encouraged myself and walked to the car and sat inside. Ash didn't say anything and started driving.

None of us spoke anything the whole drive and finally reached home.

I thought he will say something or lash out at me or warn me, but he didn't speak anything. He had a complete neutral expression.

After completing my assignments, I waited for Angelina to show up in my room, but she didn't come like she did the past two days.

So, I thought of going to her today. She's been trying to form a bond with me, so I should also try from my side.

Moreover, I want to talk about the truth I got to know and clear a few things with her. I went to her room but she wasn't there. I searched the whole house but I didn't find her anywhere. I even asked Sofia but she said she doesn't know.

I assumed she might have gone to the west wing of the house. So, I went back to my room to read a book.

At dinner, I saw her but she averted her eyes to the plate and looked a little tensed.

Sigh.

I need to clear the matter with her soon.

After dinner, Vince cleared his throat.

"Arianna, come meet me in the library.", he said and walked out.

Oh no!

Theo

After dad left this morning, I thought everything will go back to normal. But seems like none of my siblings are in a good mood.

Except Arianna.

She looks a little happy today. Even yesterday, when she came home with dad, she looked happy though I could see confusion and hesitance on her face.

We know dad told her the truth about getting swapped. We didn't know how she was going to react.

In fact we were ready for all types of reactions from her, but she was just calm. That surprised me. I thought she would be hurt, angry and hysterical but she looked really calm.

Don't know how dad consoled her.

I even noticed she looked happy with dad. I'm happy for her.

In the last one week, I wanted to spend time with her but there's a matter that needed our complete focus and time, so I couldn't make time for her.

I thought Sunday would be a good day to spend time and get to know her, but dad took her out the whole day.

Sigh.

Nothing goes as planned!

Today morning, Ash called Vince and told how Arianna refused to call any one of us if there's a problem. Vince asked why and Ash told she just said that and walked away.

Of course dad's training!

I wonder what he said to her.

Vince told Ash that he'll look after the matter at night.

And now we are in the library to speak about it. By 'we', I mean me, Vince and Arianna.

We are sitting on three single chairs around the coffee table with Vince sitting directly opposite to Arianna and I in the seat next to Vince.

She looked tensed and was looking anywhere but at us.

"Arianna, I got to know that you refused to call us in case of a problem at school. Yes?", Vince asked calmly and she tensed but nodded looking down.

"Words, Arianna.", Vince stated calmly.

"Y-Yes.", she stuttered. She is nervous.

Vince is talking in the calmest tone he could manage to bring out. Vince tries to be as calm with her as possible as we don't want to scare her more. She is already carrying the trauma of her past and we don't want to add on to that.

"May I know why?", Vince asked.

She looked down at her lap and took a deep breath, clutched her pant tightly and looked up.

"Because I don't trust you and don't want to depend on strangers.", she said without stuttering.

First I was surprised she spoke so boldly and then I felt hurt realizing she just called us strangers.

"Strangers?", Vince raised a brow at her and she looked away.

She was looking past us at the rack of books. After a moment of silence she spoke again, still looking straight at nothing in particular.

"I don't know you and you don't know me at all. No one is at least trying to know me. Except Angelina. It's like no one is interested in knowing me or speaking to me. Then, how do you expect me to trust you enough to call you in the time of need?", she said without stuttering and I could clearly sense hurt and disappointment in her voice.

I felt really bad listening to her.

This past one week, I and Vince were extremely busy with all extra work we had to do due to some glitches in the company. In fact, coming to dinner daily was itself very tough for us. 

The boys and Angelina are habituated with the odd timings we follow sometimes. But, we didn't want Arianna to feel neglected, so we somehow made time for dinner. Also, we didn't want the boys speaking something they don't even mean and hurt Arianna.

But Dylan and the twins had such a great time to get to know her, but seems like they failed to do it. 

Ugh.

They can be such a pain in the a** sometimes!

"Fair enough.", Vince said calmly, bringing me out of my thoughts.

Arianna looked at him surprised.

"I perfectly understand your reason and I respect it. But, I don't want you to get into any fights. Especially physical ones. If something goes out of hand, you have to call us. I won't negotiate on that.", Vince stated firmly and Arianna looked away biting her lips and clutching her pant more tightly.

"And about getting to know each other, I accept we have been a little ignorant and I won't give any reasons for it. But, I would like to ask you to give us a little more time and not give up.", Vince said calmly but she didn't say anything.

"Just give us a little more time, princess. We'll make it up to you.", I said softly.

She looked at me and nodded hesitantly.

"But I won't call you until you make it up to me.", she said looking at Vince and he raised a brow amused.

"We'll see about that.", he said calmly but I could see amusement in his eyes.

"I really won't call you.", she said a little annoyed.

"Sure.", Vince said, his lips slightly tugging upwards at the ends.

Arianna looked annoyed and she asked if she could leave and Vince nodded. She left closing the door a little loudly.

I looked at Vince and he is smiling.

I mean don't expect a full blown smile, it's just a slight upward curve at the end of his lips. That's how much Vince can smile.

Weird? 

Yes, he totally is.

"What are you smiling for, Vince? She just said she doesn't trust us and that we are strangers.", I asked confused.

"She defied us for the first time.", he said.

"So?", I asked with a frown.

"I'm happy she defied me.", he said and my frown deepened.

"You're happy that she defied you? What's wrong with you?", I asked annoyed.

"I'm not a dictator in the family, Theo. I want my siblings to fight and argue with me freely.", he said.

"As if you are going to accept our demands.", I scoffed at him.

"If it is reasonable, I will. But unfortunately none of you are reasonable and rational.", he said nonchalantly.

"Yeah sure.", I mocked.

"Although she spoke boldly without stuttering, I could clearly see fear and hesitance in her eyes. And I want that gone.", he said calmly and I looked at him confused.

"I want her to be like a normal teenager, Theo. I want her to argue and fight with me freely like the boys do. Like you do.", he said.

I sighed.

"I want you to find a new psychiatrist for Arianna. All the previous ones we consulted for Lina were not at all helpful. If the psychiatrist is really good, we can send both of them to therapy.", Vince said seriously and I nodded.

He stood up to go and I myself stood up to leave too.

"I want both of my sisters to let go of their past and enjoy their teenage. I am waiting for the day when both of them behave like normal wild teenagers. I'm eagerly looking forward to the day when I have to deal with their tantrums and fights.", he said and I could see a longing in his eyes.

"Just like how you are managing Dyl and twins now?", I joked trying to ease the mood.

"Yes.", he said and looked at me.

"You yourself gave me a hard time too.", he said with a little smirk and I scoffed at him.

He shook his head slightly with a small smile on his face and walked out.

I sighed and inhaled deeply to control my emotions.

I wish you had a chance too, Vince.

I wish you had a chance to experience a carefree teenage too!

I wish life had gone a little easy on you!

And I wish both Aria and Angel will fight their past and make your wish come true!

*************************************************************************************

Phew! Such a long chapter!

How was the chapter?

What do you think about Aria defying her brothers?

What do you think about Angel's reaction towards their father?

What is your opinion on Theo and Vince?

Who is your favorite brother so far?

Don't forget to vote, comment and follow.

Yours lovingly, 

Author.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8M 49.5K 50
"𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝘄𝗼𝗿𝗹𝗱 𝗳𝗼𝗼𝗹𝘀 𝘂𝘀 𝗶𝗻𝘁𝗼 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗸𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗶𝘁 𝗶𝘀 𝗸𝗶𝗻𝗱 𝗯𝘆 𝗴𝗶𝘃𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘂𝘀 𝗽𝗲𝗼𝗽𝗹𝗲 𝘁𝗼 𝗹𝗼𝘃𝗲, 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗻 𝘁𝗮𝗸𝗲...
1.2M 22.7K 39
How can one event alter the course of your entire life? Going from living with her single beloved mother to flying across the country to live with he...
335K 6.8K 41
Hey, this book is not finished, but I have been asked to keep it up! I am rewriting it right away, because there were major plot holes and it was jus...
138K 3.7K 29
After being switched at birth, Aria Walker the lost mafia princess daughter of Alexander and Mila Volkov, found herself stolen and replaced in her fa...