Echoed Lullabies (Lunar Chron...

By carpexdiemm

"Besides, I'm supposed to be your captive, remember?" "I'll let you be my captive anytime, darling." *** Rank... More

𝐅𝐨𝐫𝐞𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐝
𝓟𝓪𝓻𝓽 𝓞𝓷𝓮
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
𝓟𝓪𝓻𝓽 𝓣𝔀𝓸
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
𝓟𝓪𝓻𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓻𝓮𝓮
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
𝓟𝓪𝓻𝓽 𝓕𝓸𝓾𝓻
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
𝓟𝓪𝓻𝓽 𝓕𝓲𝓿𝓮
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Epilogue (Stars Above: Something Old, Something New)
A/N

Chapter 44

113 7 5
By carpexdiemm

We abandoned our entourage of guards in the elevator on the top floor. No one cared that it would be too easy to deduce where we were heading. Hopefully by the time anyone snapped out of Cinder's brainwashing, we'd be long gone.

The research wing's emergency service elevator was kept on its own, in an alcove tucked away from the rest of the wing. It was our final obstacle, and Cress had taken care to ensure it would be functioning properly when we arrived. She stumbled ahead of us to punch in the code.

The elevator opened and we crowded inside.

No one spoke—whether out of respect for Dr. Erland, or out of a tenuous hope that we were so close, so very close ...

The doors opened onto the rooftop. Dusk was climbing over the city, glistening off the palace windows and coating the landing pad in purple shadows.

And the Rampion was there, its ramp lowered toward us.

Cress laughed—an abrupt, delirious laugh.

Iko let out a victorious whoop and ran for the ramp, screaming, "We did it!"

Wolf alone slowed down, baring his teeth. Kai was still draped over his shoulder.

"Jacin—ready for takeoff—now!" Cinder yelled toward the ship. "We're—" Her words fell short and she slowed, then stopped altogether.

I unholstered my gun.

A figure appeared at the top of the cargo bay ramp. Her white coat and long sleeves made her look like a ghost haunting their ship, blocking our way to freedom.

When I glanced behind, I saw that Sybil wasn't alone. Half a dozen Lunar guards had crowded in behind us, blocking off our path to the elevator.

Which meant we had no place to run. No place to hide. We were forty steps from our ship, and we were trapped.

"What a lovely reunion," said Sybil, her sleeves snapping in the rooftop wind. "Had I known you were all going to come to me, I wouldn't have wasted half as much energy attempting to find you."

I kept my focus on Sybil as I took stock of my allies. Cinder was beside me, coiled with tension.

Wolf was slightly in front of me, snarling as he set Kai on the ground. Though he wasn't showing any pain, I could see a small spot of blood on Wolf's dress shirt—his stitches must have come undone, reopening the wound.

Iko wasn't far from him, the only one of us not panting.

Cress and Thorne were to Cinder's left. Thorne had a cane and, I thought, he might still have his gun too. But he, Wolf, and I could easily become liabilities, weapons to be toyed with by the thaumaturge, unlike Cress and Iko, who couldn't be controlled.

"How many?" Thorne asked.

"Mistress Sybil in front of us," said Cress, "and six Lunar guards behind."

After the slightest hesitation, Thorne nodded. "I accept those odds."

"So charming," said Sybil, tilting her head. "My little protégé has been embraced by cyborgs and androids and criminals—the scum of Earthen society. Quite fitting for a useless shell."

Cress lifted her chin, with a look more confident than I had ever seen on her.

"You mean the useless shell that just disconnected the link to all your palace surveillance equipment?"

Sybil clicked her tongue. "Arrogance doesn't suit you, dear. What do I care if the connection has been severed? Soon this palace will be the home of Queen Levana." She nodded. "Guards, leave His Majesty and the special operative unharmed. Kill the rest."

I heard the thunk of boots, the rustle of uniforms, the click of guns being released from their holsters.

Suddenly, in unison, all six guards turned toward the edge of the rooftop and threw their guns as hard as they could. Six handguns sailed out of sight, clattering somewhere on the tiled rooftops below.

Sybil let out a screech of laughter. "You have learned a few things since last we saw each other, haven't you?" Sybil paced down the ramp. "Not that controlling a handful of guards is any impressive feat." Her gaze flickered to Wolf.

Then he swiveled toward Cinder, his face contorting with a feral hunger.

Cursing, Cinder took half a step back.

Wolf launched himself at her.

Ducking, Cinder held her hands toward his abdomen and used his momentum to flip him over her head. He landed lithely on his feet and spun back, aiming a right hook for her jaw. Cinder deflected with her metal fist, but the force drove her off balance and she fell onto the hard asphalt of the landing pad. Planting both hands on the ground, she drove her heel up toward Wolf, catching him in the side—his wounded side. He grunted in pain and stumbled half a step back.

Cinder sprang to her feet, already panting.

Wolf licked his lips as he prepared to charge for her a second time, revealing the glint of his sharp teeth.

A Lunar guard jumped between me and Cinder, cutting off my view of what happened next.

He swung an elbow and I ducked, then jabbed one back. It caught him in the ribs. He coughed and hunched over. I dug a hand into his hair and brought my knee up, bashing him in the nose. He crumpled to the floor.

At the same time, three others collapsed. Sweat dripped down Cinder's brow from her effort.

Wolf came up behind her.

I tore across the rooftop and slammed into the back of his knees. He fell to the floor and I scrambled on top of him, pinning my legs around his neck.

"Sorry. About. This," I grunted in time with my punches to his face.

He grabbed the back of my collar and threw me to the side. I landed on my back. I coughed—it sounded wet.

Wheezing, I rolled onto my side, then pushed myself to a sitting position.

I looked up and froze.

Thorne had Cress in a dip, a supportive arm scooped beneath her back. The other was cradling the back of her head. Cress' hands were looped around his neck.

And he was kissing her.

If felt like something hot and thick shot down my throat, zipping into my lungs, my veins. It was squeezing, choking, suffocating, slamming into my rib cage from the inside. The air around my head was on fire, hot and stifling.

Thorne righted Cress and she seemed to sway on her feet.

Then something crashed against the back of my head.

I groaned and turned in time to get a punch to the jaw. Before the Lunar guard could land the next blow, I shot him in the head.

Slowly, I staggered to my feet, an arm clutching my side. I turned my head and spit a gob of blood onto the cement, then faced the rest of the conflict.

Another guard charged. I hit him with the butt of my gun and he fell. I picked up my foot and slammed it on his nose. His eyes went dim.

Something sparked in my chest, something that sent my blood roiling hot beneath my skin. Something that sent a rush of intensity through me, heady as wine.

I saw red as I kicked the next guard off the roof.

A scream split through the wind.

Not just a scream, but a scream made up of pain and delirium, torture and agony. A scream so chilling it made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Sybil had fallen on the ground and was twitching and digging her nails into her scalp. The scream went on and on as she twisted and flailed, craning her head so fast it smacked against the asphalt, then curling up on herself like a fetus, searching for relief that wasn't coming.

Cinder still appeared unconscious, with Wolf hovering over her. But then he whipped his head like a bedraggled dog and sprang away from Cinder with wild, remorseful eyes.

Cinder stayed corpse-like on the ground.

Wolf was shaking her, but she wasn't responding. Sybil's screams tapered into uncontrollable blubbering as she convulsed on the ground.

I raced to Cinder's side and met Thorne and Cress there.

"Cinder," I said. I shook her shoulder, but she didn't wake up. I slapped the side of her face. "Cinder!"

"Maybe Cinder has to be rebooted," Thorne said. "That happened once before. Here." He reached beneath Cinder's head and there was a click.

Cinder's eyes popped open and her hand snapped around Thorne's wrist. Crying out, he fell over onto the ground.

Sybil's sobs dwindled to whimpering.

"Don't. Open. My control panel," she said. Releasing Thorne, she shut the plate in her head.

"Then stop going comatose on me!" He stood up. "Can we go now, before the entire Commonwealth military shows up?"

Cinder sat up, blinking. "Iko..."

"Right. Wolf, could you get the android, please? And the emperor, I trust he's still around here somewhere?"

The emperor. In all the chaos, I had forgotten all about him.

"Sirens."

I looked at Wolf. His head was cocked to one side.

"Heading this direction."

"Which means the military won't be far behind," said Cinder. "I take it there's no sign of Jacin?"

No one responded. There had been no sign of our getaway pilot since the fight had started. Had he betrayed us? Had he told Sybil about our plan?

"Figures," said Cinder. "Thorne, you're with me in the cockpit. Jacin and I practiced takeoffs ... once. You can help jog my memory."

Together, we hurried to carry Iko's broken body and Kai, still unconscious, into the cargo bay.

Then there was heard laughter. High, strained laughter that dropped ice down my spine.

Sybil was struggling to stand. She made it to her feet and took a couple wobbling steps, before falling back down to one knee. She laughed again and bunched her fists into her long, unruly hair.

Wolf trudged down the ramp and grasped Sybil by the front of her white coat, yanking her toward him. Her eyes rolled back into her head. "Where is she?" he yelled. "Is she still alive?"

Even from the top of the ramp, I could see the hatred burning in his eyes, overshadowed only by his need to know. To be given any sliver of hope that Scarlet was still out there. That he still had a chance to save her.

But Sybil's head only collapsed to one side. "What—what pretty birds!" she said, before she was overcome with a fit of incoherent giggles.

Wolf snarled, baring his teeth. For a moment, his entire body was shaking and I thought he was going to tear her throat out. But then he dropped Sybil to the ground. She fell hard, whimpered from the impact, and rolled onto her back. Then she started to laugh again, staring up at the sky. The sun was just setting, but the full moon had already risen high over the city's skyline.

Turning away from her, Wolf marched up the ramp. He did not meet anyone's gaze as he passed.

Sybil raised both arms up toward the sky. Cackling. Cackling.

The ramp started to rise, slowly blocking the sight of Sybil and the bleeding guards who were scattered around the rooftop. The roar of the engines soon drowned out both the mad laughter and the sirens blaring beyond the palace walls.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2M 9.8K 7
Forget what you know about the fairytales of werewolves. There's no such thing as a moon goddess, there's no such thing as mates. Wolves are animals...
24.6K 873 20
*Gender Neutral Modern Reader* ✄┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈ "You don't need to do anything special to become amazing, You are already amazing, Trust me." You're...
75.5K 2.8K 18
"It took you so long..." "I never wanted to hurt you, not after what happened to your mother..." "It doesn't mean you should've left!" ...
29.8K 856 27
ALSO FEATURING CIX ~ BAE JINYOUNG!! ❤️ PLEASE NO HATE!!! I DECIDED TO MAKE IT MORE INTERESTING!! This is 18+ !! Because there are bad words and abusi...