Dagger Series #4: Unadorned

By MsButterfly

Being on top is second nature for the renowned supermodel, Mireia Aguero. She literally needed to be on top t... More

Dagger Series #4: Unadorned
Synopsis
Chapter 1: Axel Dawson
Chapter 2: Typhoon
Chapter 3: Enough
Chapter 4: Settle
Chapter 5: Maybe
Chapter 6: MAAAD
Chapter 7: Uncanny
Chapter 8: Karma
Chapter 9: Boyfriend
Chapter 10: Fool
Chapter 11: Devour
Chapter 12: Favorite
Chapter 13: Kesel
Chapter 14: Chain
Chapter 15: Dangerous
Chapter 16: Angel
Chapter 17: Like
Chapter 18: Triple M
Chapter 19: Invade
Chapter 20: First
Chapter 21: Going, Going, Gone
Chapter 22: Reason
Chapter 23: Gravity
Chapter 24: Promise
Chapter 25: Obvious
Chapter 26: Ring
Chapter 27: Scream
Chapter 29: Grandeur
Chapter 30: Ordinary
Chapter 31: Dream
Chapter 32: Together
Chapter 33: New Year
Chapter 34: Mrs. Dawson
Chapter 35: Last
Epilogue
Author's Note
Dagger Series #5: Unbowed
Book: Unadorned

Chapter 28: Enemy

14K 754 147
By MsButterfly

DS4Unadorned #MAAAD #DaggerSeries

CHAPTER 28: ENEMY

MIREIA'S POV

Kuyom ang mga kamay na humugot ako ng malalim na hininga habang nakatingin sa malaking bahay na nasa harapan ko. It's bigger than the one they used to live in, but just like the other one, it screams of extravagance.

"Are you sure about this?" Nag-angat ako ng tingin kay Pierce na siyang kasama ko. "Axel can go with you if you want."

"No."

I met with my agent to cut back on my commitments and obligations for the time being. Everyone is on edge. There are a lot of things that are pointing in my direction, and Dagger does not like that. They're sensing an escalation, and they don't want to be sidetracked. Axel was needed somewhere else, so Pierce came with me.

Bumuntong-hininga ako. "Let's just get this over with. Gusto ko ng makauwi ng maaga."

Sabay na naglakad kami at hindi pa man nakararating sa pintuan ay bumukas na iyon at iniluwa no'n ang isang may edad na lalaki.

Cristobal Castañeda was a warm person, but now the man who greeted us warily is the opposite of that. Despite the small smile he gave us, I know for sure that it's not as genuine as before. He seems exhausted and like he has been worn out by age.

"I'm glad to see you again, Mireia," he said when we reached the living room of their grand mansion.

"I wish I can say the same."

The older man didn't look offended. He nodded in understanding. The last time we saw each other wasn't something we both want to relieve.

Iminuwestra niya ang malawak na sofa at sa kabila ng tensyon na bumabalot sa akin ay umupo ako roon. Pierce sat quietly beside me while he surveyed the room with his sharp eyes.

Mula sa kung saan ay lumabas ang isang babae na may dalang tray. She placed glasses of juice in front of us and a plate of sweets.

"You sent my agency an email," I said straightforwardly when the maid left.

"I did."

"To meet me."

Dumaan ang pag-alangan sa mukha niya. "Santana left to look for our daughter. Hindi niya gustong umuwi hanggang hindi nahahanap si Stephanie."

"So you decided that it's time to what? Talk to me? Just so you know, your wife also went to me."

Exhaustion could be seen all over him. "She's desperate. Katulad ko."

"Kaya ho kayo nakikipagkita sa akin? Gusto niyo rin malaman kung alam ko kung nasaan ang anak niyo? What makes you think that I do?"

Kinuha niya ang isang puti na sobre na nasa coffee table at ibinaba niya iyon sa harapan ko. Kinuha ko iyon at binuksan. My jaw went tight as I looked at the content of the letter.

"We're used to Stephanie being gone... but when we received that letter..."

Hindi niya nagawang tapusin ang sasabihin at hindi niya rin kinakailangan. There are scrabble tiles glued on the letter.

B - L - A - M - E

S - Stephanie

M is next.

"You want me to believe that it's him." Halos malukot ko ang hawak nang mag-angat ako ng tingin para salubungin ang mga mata niya. "You know what happened that night. Ikaw mismo ang nagbigay sa akin ng pera para lumayo at hindi magsumbong sa pulis."

"If you went to the police it would have ruin your life—"

"Don't act as if what you did helped me. That was what I believed for a long time. Na umalis ako kasi iyon ang kailangan. Hinayaan kong bayaran niyo ako kasi paano kapag nakulong ako? Paano ang nanay ko na nasa ospital? I was so scared. I killed a person. I was never at ease. Unlike you and your family na nakuha pang ituloy ang party ni Stephanie." Mapait ang ngiti na umiling ako. "I lost so much that night, but I still have a lot to lose. So for years, I made myself believe that what I did was wrong. Pero hindi. Hindi ko kasalanan. I killed him because he raped me. I killed a person because I needed to save myself. It took so long for me to realize that, because a part of me still believes the vile things he told me. That no one would want me. That no one would believe me. That it was my fault. That it was me that made him do that."

If the tension coming from Pierce was poisonous, all of us would have been dead by now. If the way he looked at Mr. Castañeda could kill, he would be nothing but ashes.

"You have no idea what it's like for your voice to be drowned out by the blaring words of another, even if that person can no longer speak from the dead." I threw the letter on the table. "Ngayon gusto niyo kong paniwalain na siya ang gumagawa nito? That he's alive and he's haunting me more than he's already been doing? That this is not just a game that your family is doing?"

Umiling ang matandang lalaki. "Walang rason para gawin namin iyon." Nang pagak na tumawa ako ay muli siyang napabuntong-hininga. "You can destroy my family with just one word from you. What I did years ago was to protect my family too. Steven was young, and if you went to the police, his life would be ruined too."

"He helped him."

"He didn't. Earl used his phone to lure you in our house."

"He watched what his uncle did to me, and he didn't helped me."

Bumuka ang mga labi niya pero muli niya lang iyong tinikom. We all know what he wanted to say. Steven was weak. I can remember him cowering in the corner of the room while his uncle violated me. I can remember him curling into a ball as I dismembered Earl with a scissor.

"This is not just about threatening me," I whispered. "This is more than that. Women are dying, Mr. Castañeda. Your daughter could be dead."

"A-Anong ibig mong sabihin?"

Kumilos si Pierce at inabot niya ang sulat. Iniharap niya iyon sa matanda. "Your wife already showed us this two days ago. Our agency has been investigating the deaths of five women. See how the scrabble tile S is next to your daughter's name? Bethany, Lorraine or known in the modeling industry as Sophia, Aurora, Monique, and Emma. These were the names of the women that died. There's one remaining tile and that is M." Ibinaba ni Pierce ang sulat at tinuro ang huling salita na nandoon. "Mireia's next. Even if her name was not stated, it was implied. You know that, and your wife knew that. That's why you're contacting Mireia. Hindi niyo gustong makausap si Mireia dahil sa tingin niyo ay alam niya kung nasaan si Stephanie. Ang gusto niyong malaman ay kung magagawa niya kayong tulungan na matunton ang anak niyo dahil alam niyong si Mireia ang susunod."

I heard about this from Axel himself. He's the one that put things together. That's why he's been holed up in his office to work on this case these past two days.

"You denied that this is your family's doing. That it could be you, Steven, or a sick play of your wife and daughter." It was a surprise, even to me, that I could speak with so much calmness when I could feel the chaos starting to build inside me. "But you didn't deny that it could be Earl. That this could be a doing of a dead man."

I saw Mr. Castañeda's whole body went tight, and it was enough of a confirmation for me. Pumalibot sa akin ang lamig habang nananatiling nakatingin sa matandang lalaki.

"He's not dead, isn't he?" I whispered.

"Mireia—"

"Answer me!"

The huge house could have rattled at the sound of my voice as it tore through me. My whole body is shaking with the combination of fear, betrayal, and anger.

"He could have killed me a long time ago!"

He shook his head. "No... he wouldn't."

Hindi makapaniwalang tinignan ko siya. "Alam mo ang kaya niyang gawin. You didn't know he could rape a young woman, and he did!"

Umangat ang kamay niya na para bang gusto niya akong payapain pero muli niya iyong binaba. He swallowed hard, his face losing the facade, and showing more of his weakened state. "Earl is a very powerful man. That's the reason why Santana and I went into marriage. Mayaman ang pamilya nila at sa kagustuhan din ng pamilya ko ay naipagkasundo kami."

"I don't need to hear your history—"

"Please... please listen. I know that you don't owe us anything. But you need to listen. I need to find my daughter."

I bit my lower lip hard enough to almost taste blood. I fought through the need to leave and never look back at this place again. Just like I did before.

"When Santana and Earl's parents died, they left everything to Earl. He was the one in control of everything. He values money and power more than anything. He made sure that what he had would only grow and that no one could take it from him." Lumunok siya na para bang gusto niyang tanggalin ang kung anumang bikig sa lalamunan niya. "Naiintindihan ko na hindi naging maganda ang pagtrato sa'yo ni Santana. She's hard. Life thought her that. She's never been in control of her life. Not when she had Steven, or when she got married to me. But most specially not when Earl killed their parents."

I stiffened, and from my peripheral vision, I could see that Pierce did the same.

"Earl was adopted. He would have never inherited everything. I learn that Santana did, but she gave it all up to him."

"Why would she?" I asked even when there's a part of me that already knew the answer.

The old man's lip quivered, as if he didn't want to say the words out loud. "He violated her, and physically abused her. She wanted to ran away even without the money but..."

"Steven." I wanted to threw up. I wanted to stop listening. This is not what I expected when I came here. "Steven is his, isn't he?"

Dahan-dahang tumango ang lalaki at mariing napapikit ako. She didn't told us this. I get it. It wouldn't have been something easy to say.

"Earl made a will. If his death is not a natural cause or an accident, everything that they own would be given to charity. Steven won't get anything and so is Santana." Pinagsalikop ng matanda ang mga kamay niya. "He was still breathing that night. I hired people that will keep everything private for us. He got transferred into a facility that we own. The place was guarded and we know what he's doing 24/7. Not that he could go anywhere."

"What do you mean?"

"When he ran after you, and you stabbed him on the throat, he fell—"

"I know. I was there."

He flinched from the vehemence in my tone. "He... he's paralyzed from the waist down. He couldn't talk either. He lost that ability, but more than that he was in comatose for five years."

"And he couldn't use his dick to make another woman's life miserable," I finished for him. "It doesn't mean that he's not behind this. Is that what you want to say? Ano ba talaga? Gusto niyong paniwalaan ko na wala kayong kinalaman, pero ayaw niyo rin paniwalaan ang maaaring gumagawa ng lahat ng 'to?"

"It's not that I don't believe it. But... but he never left the facility. Not until when Stephanie went missing." Sa pagkakataon na ito ay bahagya kong nasilip ang takot sa mga mata niya. "Hindi namin alam kung paano siya nakaalis. All the footage from the CCTV was ruined."

Sa lahat ng mga Castañeda, bukod kay Steven, ay si Cristobal Castañeda lang ang tumrato sa akin at kay Naynay ng maayos. Growing up without a father, he's the only father figure I have. But now I can see him for what he is.

"You said yourself, Earl is a powerful man. Hindi man siya makapagsalita o makapaglakad ay hindi ibig sabihin ay hindi niya kayang gumawa ng paraan para makuha ang gusto niya. After all, sa loob ng mahabang panahon ay hawak pa rin niya kayong lahat. Hindi ko akalaing sasabihin ko 'to, but for once, I pity Mrs. Castañeda." Napailing ako habang nakatingin sa kaniya. "Did she know?"

"N-No."

I looked at him in disbelief. "How did you hide him from her?"

"I... I told her that Earl probably changed the will. We weren't losing money. She would have noticed. Earl knew that he won't get away from that facility. He knew he's just waiting for his death, and we can show his attorneys that I gave him what he needed. That he was cared for and that he died in his own. I wanted to make sure that my family will breathe free, and not lose what they deserve."

"Not lose your money, you mean."

"Mireia—"

"Your wife's parents got murdered. Her brother killed them and then he abused her. He married her off to a man that will grow the money they already have. A man that will rather protect that money instead of being a decent human being."

I didn't know that he could have been any paler, but he did. "Mireia, I-I... It's not like that."

"Kung hinayaan niyong mamatay si Earl, ano naman kung hindi niyo makuha ang pera na hawak niya? He could take it in his grave for all you care." Kinuyom ko ang mga kamay kong nanginginig hindi sa takot sa pagkakataon na ito, pero sa halip ay sa galit. "You know, when I came here, I have a bit of hope that everything is just a game. That it could be the doing of your wife na noon pa man ayaw na sa akin. O ang anak mo. Then I thought maybe Steven is doing this. Maybe he hated me for what I did to his uncle. You also came into my mind. Maybe you just want to threaten me. To keep me quiet. I didn't want to connect the deaths of those women to what's happening to me. Despite everything, I didn't want to believe that any of you could do something that wicked."

"Mireia—"

"But Earl? Out of everyone, me and your wife knows what he could do. We know what he's capable of. And yet you saved him. Wala namang problema do'n pero hindi mo lang siya binuhay... itinago mo pa siya. He should have paid for what he did."

"You don't understand—"

"He abused your wife. He raped another woman. Who cares about the money when you could have freed your family from his claws?" Nang hindi niya magawang makaapuhap ng sasabihin ay nagpatuloy ako, "Iyon din ang rason kung bakit ayaw mo akong pumunta sa pulis noon. That's why you bribed a young woman to stay silent. Not because her life will get ruined. It's because it will tarnish your reputation. What will happen to your life long dream of being in politics? You fulfilled that now, but I will bet all I have that you want more. Dahil ganoon naman kayo. Hindi sapat ang konting kapangyarihan. Gusto niyo pa ng higit pa. That's why instead of going to the police, you keep on badgering me. Your daughter is missing, and you can't even put aside your image. That's why your wife was so desperate. She might be a hard bitch, and your daughter is far from being kind, but you... you are the worse."

His face went hard. "That's not true."

"Do you think Santana will want that man alive?"

Sandaling hindi nakapagsalita ang lalaki. When he did, it was not an answer to my question. "I-I care about my family."

"Even Steven?"

"Of... of course."

He couldn't even lie now. I can see the truth on his face. "Kung may pake ka sa kaniya, hindi ba dapat naisip mong ngayong nawawala si Earl na baka kunin din siya? He's his son. He always been fond of Steven, and now I know why. Kung may pake ka sa batang lumaki sa poder mo, bakit hindi mo siya tinulungan? I might not voluntary seek news about you and your family, but those that I accidentally came across with never had him in it. It was always you, Mrs. Castañeda, and Stephanie. Steven's like a hidden secret. Why was that?"

"You can see for yourself why." Huminga ng malalim ang matandang lalaki at minuwestra niya ang nasa harapan namin na mga inumin. "Please, let's calm down. Naiintindihan ko na may karapatan kang magalit sa amin... sa akin... but... but Steven can't handle this. He's not like before anymore."

Nilingon ko si Pierce at tinanguhan niya ako. I took a couple of calming breath before I turned to Mr. Castañeda. I didn't move for awhile. I wanted to leave.

Pagkaraan ng ilang sandali ay inabot ko ang baso ng juice. Ganoon din ang ginawa ni Pierce. When we had enough, I stood up. Mr. Castañeda followed and stood up slower than we did. Nang makatayo ay nauna na siya na naglakad.

Inaasahan kong aakyat kami sa ikalawang palapag pero sa halip ay dumiretso siya sa isang hallway. Hindi naman malayo ang pinasok namin. Huminto siya sa pangatlong pintuan sa west wing ng bahay.

He opened the door wide, and he stepped aside. I went inside the room, confident that Pierce was behind me. Nang makapasok ay kaagad napagtuunan ng mga mata ko ang kinaroroonan ni Steven. He's sitting on a chair in front of the floor-to-ceiling window with the curtains drawn. He's looking outside as if he's lost in thought.

"What do you want me to see? That he turned into a catatonic—"

Hindi ko nagawang tapusin ang sasabihin ko nang mapalingon sa akin ang lalaki. Kasabay niyon ay naramdaman ko ang bahagyang pagkabuway ng tayo ko. Steven rushed to me as I stumbled as if to catch me.

I managed to look back at the same time that I heard a loud thud. Cristobal Castañeda stepped into the room, ignoring the unconscious Pierce on the floor.

The old man's face looked grim as he met my eyes.

"There are still worse things."

Santana Castañeda was right. She was right to feel that she was never safe here. She never knew who was the enemy. She didn't know that it could be all of them.

But if there was one thing that I know... it's that we are prepared for them all.

With that, I let my eyes shut close, as the young Mireia lifted her hand to hold mine. This time... we're not going to run away.

This time, we're going to fight for us.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22K 827 10
She will always be the captain of her life. Kahit pa magkamali at pumalpak, Ashat likes to believe she's in control. Gagawin niya kung ano ang gusto...
443K 22.6K 50
Tiara Millicent Silvano is considered as one of the most famous and influential prima ballerinas. She was at the top. There was no place to go. Ther...
94K 1.7K 33
Suarez #3 [Completed] "Little do you know, how I'm breaking while you fall asleep." As I sing the first line of the song. Bawat lyrics na aking kinak...
21.5K 1.6K 40
World Trip Series 5 Criselda is the breadwinner of their family, even though she's still studying and working part-time, she fulfills the needs of he...