Wilting Flowers

By WonderlandCraz

Credit to Emma Hinman (@theemmahinman on Pintererst) for the cover photo! ~~~ "'I'm so sorry,' She uttered. '... More

~ACT I~
1: Two Problems
2: Warm
3: Necessary
4: Memory Box
5: Things have come up...
6: Regrets and Wishes
7: Letters
8: Blush
IM JUST IN A SILLY GOOFY MOOD-
9: Dreaming of You
10: Face It.
11: Icarus
UH OHHH STINKYYY HAHAAA
13: The World's Best Worst Reaper
14: The Clock Doesn't Stop
ANOTHER FILLER👏🏻SUPRISE👏🏻
15: I'm Running on Spite and Espresso, Now.
16: The Price of a Bluff
17: Antidote
ITS BEEN A BIT
18: What's Deserved? What's Given?
ANOTHER ONE BC THE FINALE IS SOFA KING LONG
19: In Which the Act Crumbles
~ACT II~
20: Black Balloons
21: Plummet
22: Hellfire
23: The Eye of the Storm
FUNNY HAHA MAN
24: Carpe Diem
25: Don't Think About It Too Hard.
26: Back and Forth
27: Black Butterflies
28: Doubt All Safety
29: I Know. I'm Sorry.
~ACT III~
30: "Thus with a kiss I die."
31: Things have gone down...
32: A Celebration of Life
33: "Thank fucking god."
34: Wilting Flowers
*dramatic buh buh buhhh plays*
35: Old Friend
SORRY GUYS
36: The Dinner at the End of Your Life
37: A life for a Life
38: Divine
sooooo yeah
Thank you guys!

12: Fear and Lies

44 0 0
By WonderlandCraz

The Reaping Ceremony.

The passing of rights from reaper to reaper.

Grim didn't know what he got himself into.

Cassius Avenarius, the current reaper, looked down at the sea of people from the stage, obviously nervous.

The feeling's mutual. Grim thought to himself, shifting in his seat. His dad returned to the small round table Grim sat at, handing him a bottle of water.

"Anxious?" Mortuus asked, sitting down.

"Of course. I've been waiting for this for months!" Grim exclaimed. He took a sip of the cold water. "You'd be nervous too."

"Just know that I'll be proud of you either way. I know I always tell you to ace things and work hard- but you have worked hard. Don't be discouraged if things don't work out."

"You're just saying that 'cause you know I'm not gonna get it."

"No, I'm saying it because you worked super hard for this. I know you'll probably get it, but even if you don't-"

"-You'll still love me even if I fail. Which I probably will-"

"-Uh-uh. Shut it, bucko." His father responded, elbowing him. He craned his neck to look over Grim's shoulder. "Oh look, it's Gabriel."

Grim looked behind him and spotted Gabriel in the crowd. He waved to him.

Gabriel waved back and practically sprinted over to the two, grinning.

"Hey! Exited?" He asked, sitting himself in a chair as well.

"Yeah! Really nervous- but exited!" Grim replied, laughing awkwardly. "All seven of us have big shoes to fill."

Seven people had taken the reaping course that year, which was monumental considering how rarely anyone wanted the job.

How a reaper was chosen depended on the total points a reaping student got on all of their assessments. The student who had a score between 10 points or higher than the previous reaper's would get chosen. If two or more students qualified, the highest would be picked.

"We do, but we have a good group! I heard a rumor that someone got the highest score by a landslide, but I don't know who it is."

"Damnnn! I'm placing bets on either you or Dallas."

"Really? I'm flattered, but I think it's you."

"Awh! Don't jinx me, Gabriel."

"Of course not!" Gabriel knocked on the wooden table. "See? All that being said, I want a hug before you sell your soul."

"Before one of us sells our soul. What'd I say about jinxing?"

"Jeez! I'm just saying~"

Gabriel wrapped his arms around Grim, sighing.

"Hope you're wearing socks if we're gonna hug for this long-"

"-Gabriel!"

"What? Are you?"

Grim laughed and pulled away.

"Of course I am. The fuzzy cat ones, in fact-"

"Oh my god, of course you had to wear cat socks to a formal event."

"They're incredibly formal!"

"Shhhh-" Mortuus butted in. "I think it's starting!"

The lights dimmed as Cassius stepped into a spotlight.

"Um- Hello everyone, and welcome to the 372th reaping ceremony! A-as you all know, this group is one of our biggest since the early eras, and a great one to boot! All seven students were eligible to be chosen! That being said, one student won by a large point gap- Or a landslide, so to speak." He stammered, stiffly. He adjusted his tie and cleared his throat before continuing. "Before we reveal the new reaper, Mx. Xen would like to make a few announcements."

Xen stepped into the spotlight and Cassius stepped into the shadows, his figure loosening.

Xen mumbled a 'thank you' before speaking. "Hello, everyone- "

Their voice faded out of focus as Gabriel started talking.

"That dude's a mess, huh?" He hushed.

"Yeah." Grim replied, almost under his breath. "I feel like most of the reapers are."

"I mean, it makes sense! Touch deprivation's gotta catch up to them at some point."

Touch deprivation?

Cassius stepped back into the light.

"Thank you, Xir. Finally, the new reaper is..."

"Touch deprivation?" Grim asked, his face scrunching.

"Grim Skeleton!" Cassius announced. A roar of applause rang through Grim's ears. He froze in bewilderment.

"I knew it!" Gabriel exclaimed. "I told you you'd get it!"

Grim turned to face his father, who was staring at him, grinning. When the two caught eyes, an emotion flashed across his father's face that Grim couldn't quite put his finger on. It almost looked like horror.

It was gone in an instant and he hugged him tightly.

"I'm so sorry." He whispered. He pulled away and nudged Grim forward. Grim, confused, walked up to the platform.

His confusion was easily swept away by happiness as he stepped onto the stage.

Cassius greeted him.

"Hey." The reaper outstretched his gloved hand and shook Grim's. He lowered his voice to a whisper. "Smile, they'll eat it up."

Grim, confused again, did what he was told and was ushered to the center of the platform. His father appeared as if he felt sick. The applause grew in volume, but quickly died down when Xen tapped on his shoulder and gestured for him to move towards the left of the stage.

Across from him, Cassius was fidgeting with a locket he had worn.

Grim still couldn't understand what could make someone emotionally unstable all the time. The reapers should've been able to control their power as long as they were calm, so why would Gabriel mention touch deprivation? Why did Cassius wear gloves, why were all the reapers a mess- Why did my grandparents run? Grim knew he was missing something, but he couldn't quite put the hints together.

Suddenly, a microphone squeaked. Grim winced.

"Uh- sorry about that! Anyways-"

Grim tried to think. Something didn't add up, a puzzle piece was missing. Or, rather, didn't fit. Grim didn't have enough time to go over it. A document appeared in front of him.

"Just read and sign, Grim."

It'll be fine. Can't read through all of this, anyway.

He skipped to the end and signed 'GS' on the line.

He gasped as a cold sensation washed over him. What the hell? The applause assaulting his ears almost sounded like screams from hell. He held his head.

"Don't worry, kid. You'll get used to it." Cassius smiled at him. Grim hadn't even noticed he had walked over. He ushered Grim over to the side.

"What was that?"

"Side effect to the reaping ability."

"Huh. That's strange..."

"Really? It makes perfect sense to me. Being reaperally immortal is the only thing that stops us from killing ourselves." Cassius laughed awkwardly. He looked like he was on the verge of tears.

"...Are you alright?"

"Oh- yeah! More than alright. Excited to hug my parents for the first time in two decades."

"What? Have you not hugged them?"

"Of course not! They don't live in the void- it's too dangerous. They could actually die."

"But, as long as you'd stay cool, you'd be fine, right?"

"What? No! Only previous reapers, current ones, and their children can touch each other-"

"What?"

Grim's world shattered when the realization dawned on him. He didn't want to believe it, but the puzzle pieces fit into place. He couldn't touch anyone he loved. He couldn't hug Gabriel another time, he couldn't even shake hands with his father-

Dad. His panic mixed with rage. He lied to me.

"-What's going on?" Xen had walked over to them.

"I have no clue. I don't know what sort of weird miscommunication's going
on-" Cassius replied, looking panicked.

"-Oh god. Cas, go with your family. I'll sort this out."

"Thanks. Good luck, Grim."

Cassius shot Grim a sorry expression and walked away.

"What happened?"

"...I'm going home."

"Grim-"

Grim teleported back to his house before they could finish their sentence.

He collapsed on the floor. Shaking, he gripped his head. A searing pain grew up and down his skull. He moved his hands to the split bone coming from his eyes.

He heard the familiar slow cracking of his face. The entire area felt as if it was on fire.

Tears began to fall.

Everything became too much for him. The pain, the emotion, the room spinning around him, the sound of his own thoughts- they were so loud. He scratched at his eyes-

and screamed.

Grim gasped for air. Despite feeling like he had plunged into hell, he was shivering uncontrollably. His head throbbed. The floor felt like ice on his bones. He looked around him, trying to figure out where he was.

Oh- the bathroom. He thought to himself. How'd I get here?

A glass of water sat in the corner. Grim instantly took it and gulped it down. The cool water soothed him a little. He slumped against the wall.

He felt exhausted like he hadn't slept in days.

There was a knock on the door.

Grim sighed.

"...yeah?" He mustered.

"I'm coming in."

"Okay."

The door cracked open and Immy entered the room.

"I brought you more water."

"Thanks."

Immy sat down with her back on the wall.

"Feeling any better?"

"Nope. I don't even know how I got here."

"That figures. From what I know, sometime near midnight you got nauseous and walked to the bathroom. You fell over, and the noise woke me up. When I came to check on you, you had already passed out. I went back upstairs, but then you woke up sobbing, so I came back downstairs- that happened a couple times before I just decided to stay on the couch."

"Wow. Thank you for the water, by the way."

"You're welcome. Gotta stay hydrated."

Grim sighed and took the glass of water, downing it in a few seconds.

"There's no way you can go to work today." Immy sighed

"What time is it?"

"4 A.M."

"I can pull myself together. I've got five-ish hours."

"You shouldn't go if you feel bad."

"I'll drink a liquid IV and a coffee. It'll be fine."

"Grim-"

"I know. I'll be okay, I promise."

Grim stood and almost collapsed, his legs feeling like jello. He inhaled and attempted to banish the nauseous feeling in the pit of his stomach, to no avail.

He sighed and righted himself. He wasn't dizzy anymore, just weak and sick. Immy got to her feet as well.

"How do you intend to reap souls if you can't walk?" She commented.

"I can do it. It'll be fine." Grim scoffed.

"You don't look fine." Immy replied. "You definitely look hungover. I'm sure that won't slide with your boss."

Grim took a few shaky steps out of the bathroom.

"I've gotta work."

***

"You look like shit." Gabriel laughed. "What'd you do this time?"

"Nothing." Grim sighed, blankly. He rubbed his aching skull. "Bad night."

"Last time you said that you broke down at my apartment. You're burnt out."

"I'm fine. Just a little sick."

"You literally can't get sick normally. Germs can't come near you. How'd you get sick?"

Grim sighed.

"It's just nerves."

Gabriel shook his head.

"Are you alright?" He asked, sitting down at the front desk. "It's like you got better and then worse again."

"Imagine how I feel." Grim replied, leaning on the table. "I'll be fine."

"Sure." Gabriel said. "Just like you say all the time."

"Ouch. I'm just worried-"

"I KNEW IT! What's up?"

Grim rolled his eyes.

"-I'm worried for Immy."

"Why?"

"I just-" He exhaled. "I'm just having a moment. I said I'll be fine."

"Grim-"

Grim teleported to his first assignment. 

Throughout the day, he couldn't shake his worry. 

He knew he wasn't fit for his job. He was dumb, and a failure to boot. He knew it was only a matter of time before another incident happened. 

He was starting to wish the council would have taken Immy away. Maybe then she wouldn't be in so much danger.

Sometime around his lunch break, he got an idea.

Something to put his mind at ease.

He could go to an allseer.

~~~

AAAAAA OKAY PROCRASTINATED A BIT ON THIS ONE-

BUT I TOOK LESS THAN TWO WEEKS!!!

I WAS STUMPED ON WHAT TO DO SO YOU GUYS GET ANOTHER NIGHTMARE!

I hope you all are having a wonderful week! I know most of you guys just got off of school, so congrats!

Love you all! Take care of yourselves!!

-Alice/Craz <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

428 3 12
A/N: This story was written by me when I was twelve, and the quality certainly reflects that XD It's not a particularly good story, although feel fre...
3K 932 9
***Completely unedited !ROUGH DRAFT⚠️** Sat in the back of the room, in the far corner, was a hooded figure. Under the hood you would find nothing si...
116K 3.9K 70
As a human, I've always wondered what's life after death. It's always there at the back of my mind. Will I ascend to heaven or will I get burnt in he...
14.1K 974 37
✨️WATTYS 2023 SHORTLIST | Book One in the "Dark Waters" series | On a quest to regain his place among the deadly seven, Octavio quickly remembers th...