My Double Life

By RealityCheck101

"-what’s your name?" My heart stopped. I shouldn't tell him my real name, because then he’ll want to know whe... More

My Double Life
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17

Chapter 12

29.5K 911 176
By RealityCheck101

                                        ^.^.^. Chapter 12 ^.^.^.

                “The truth will set you free”- John 8:32 (NIV)

        I was leaving school one day with Natalie. It was Friday and this week was our bye week so we had no game. We stopped at our lockers putting our books away for the weekend and grabbing our sweaters. We starting talking about the weekend, Natalie was going to be hanging out again with Blake on Saturday and I was as always plan free. So far my weekend sounds something along the lines of: Sleep, eat, laptop, iPage, food, TV, sleep, text, Twitter, eat, Facebook, iPage, sleep, sleep, annoy my brothers, sleep.

        So much fun right?!

        Wrong.

        Unless Nick made some magical appearance or Blake blew off Nat for something guy stupid like sports, then I was going to be a couch potato for the weekend.

        “If you want we can watch a movie on Sunday!” Nat said trying to cheer me up after I explained to her my boring weekend.

        “That sounds good.” I smiled opening the front door of the school, “I did want to see that movie with you- Oh what’s it called Sa-”

        “Ally?!” someone shouted making me spin around 360 finding no one.

        “Did you just hear my name being called?” I ask Nat puzzledly.

        “Yeah it sounded like it was coming from… over there.” Nat pointed far to the left.

        I turned to my left scanning the crowed for the person when they called out my name again. Surprisingly, Nick was walking up to me waving his hand and calling my name.

        “Hey, Nick. What are you doing here?” I asked as he came closer.

        The corners of his lips were turned up in a shy but confident smile, “We got out of school early today. Some of my friends and I stopped to get frozen yogurt down the street and then I remembered you go to school here.”

        “That explains the chocolate spot on your nose.” I giggled as he wiped it off quickly blushing, “That’s so sweet of you. Oh Nick, this is my friends Natalie by the way. Nat Nick, Nick Nat.” I said motioning my hands between them.

        They both greeted with a small hello and a wave. Natalie left us to catch a ride from her sister leaving, Nick and I standing in the middle of the school campus just staring at each other.

        “So you just come by to say hi.” I joked pulling my sweater closer to myself.

        “Partly, I was just going to see what you were doing tonight?” He asked putting his hands in his jeans pocket, rocking back and forth on his heels.

        “Um, nothing actually. You don’t even want to know what I had planned for this weekend.” I chuckled.

        “You should come tonight at the coffee shop.” He offered smiling lightheartedly.

        “For that poetry night, right? It’s tonight.”

        “Yeah it is. It’s going to be an interesting night. Bring Natalie along if you’d like.” He said walking with me slowly to the parking lot.

        “Alright I’ll be there.” I said spotting my brother in the parking lot with his friends hovering around his car.

        “Cool then. Tonight at 7, I’ll see you there.”

        “Yeah, see you later.” I said walking off to my brother’s car as he walked away with his friends. They were all gathered around by the flag pole punching each other playfully on the shoulder.

        When I got to my brother’s car I was pushed and shoved jokingly until I finally got in the front seat blocking out their obnoxious teasing and jokes. Some funnier than others, but mostly obnoxious.

^*^*^*^

        It was around six o’clock when I finally finished my shower and decided to get changed. I wasn’t going to look so fancy for this night because honestly it was only poetry at a coffee shop. So looking through my closet and making sure I didn’t make a major mess. I finally chose a pair of white pants and a faded blue, collared button down. I nodded my head at the mirror satisfied and then realized I start pulling up my pants, so I put on a brown leather belt.

        I looked at the clock: 6:18. Well I have time to kill. As I went to the bathroom and straightened my hair a bit with the flat iron I heard someone come up the stairs. Peeking out it was my brother entering his room in a rush, probably just waking up from his nap on the couch and realizing he needs to be at school for football in an hour.

        “Hey Luke. Can you drop me off at the coffee shop?” I asked combing some of my hair and moving on to the next piece of hair to straighten.

        “No, I’m already late for my game.” He said quickly as I heard something being knocked down.

        “Please, it’s on the way. Your game doesn’t start for another thirty-five minutes.” I pleaded putting down the straight iron.

        “UGH, Ally! Come on!” He howled leaping across his bed for his phone.

        “Please, please, please.” I begged, “It’s two months until I get my license! Can you please drop me off it’s literally five minutes away from school.”

        “If I’m late because of you all hell will break lose.” He informed me standing in his doorway briefly as I threw the iron in a bathroom cabinet drawer.

        “Wow you sound so threatening.” I mocked grabbing my satchel and putting on some matching combat boots.

        “Let's just say my friends will mysteriously be over one very early morning. Someone may be jumping on your bed, someone maybe playing football, someone may even be reading your diary or playing with your laptop or phone, but hey, if I’m late it wouldn’t be my fault.” He said sarcastically raising up his hands in surrender as he slung his bag over his shoulder and running down the stairs.

        “Note to self: lock my door every giving moment after today if Luke is in a grumpy mood.” I joked following right behind him.

        We both yelled good bye to mom as we rushed out the front door and to Luke’s car. It was 6:29 and Luke looked more irritated than a bear waking up from early hibernation. Not to mention his hair still had that ‘I just rolled out of bed’ look.

        “So why have I been driving you to the coffee shop these last two weeks?” He asked maturely as he straightened himself behind the wheel.

        “I’m just hanging out with a friend.” I shrugged looking out the window.

        “Is that same friend so happened to be the same friend you kissed his cheek last week and walked to the parking lot earlier today?” He said cheekily, smirking at the red that was forming on my cheeks.

        “You’ve been spying on your little sister!” I shrieked slapping his shoulder lightly.

        He laughed as he shook his head, “Well I am always waiting for you. And it’s not spying; it’s supervising my minor sister with boys that have interest in her and vice versa.” He winked trying to embarrass me further.

        “Luke stop.” I whined holding my hands to my cheeks to cool down. Talking about boys with Luke just made me squirmy. I don’t mind talking about it with anyone else… if they were a girl. But with my brother teasing and harassing me about this, it just made me feel uncomfortable. It sometimes even made me nervous too, that he’d tell his friends and they’d all tease me about it. I really hated being the center of attention in some things.

        “You are just so cute you know that.” He squealed like a child pinching my cheeks.

        I slapped his hand away from my face pouting, “And you know you can be so bi-polar sometimes. Gees, a minute ago you were mad at me that I was going to make you late, now you’re teasing me about boys and being all nice.” I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms over my chest. Brothers, you don’t understand the annoyance and pain I put up with every day until you have your own. You think they’re all cute and funny, there to protect you, wrong, they’re put on this Earth to annoy you, embarrass you, and get you into trouble whenever they can.

        “Alright, alright, we’re here Ms. Grumpy Pants. Don’t get your panties in a twist.” He joked, parking right up front, “Hurry up I’ve got a game to play.”

        “I’m going; I’m going. Gees Mr. Grumpy Pants, what’s got your boxers in a twist?” I mocked sticking my tongue out at him, “Pick me up after your game.”

        “Yeah, yeah just leave.” He ordered waving me off. I quickly looked at the time on his dash board. He has twenty-five minutes to get there, that’s plenty of time!

        I shut the door of the car and realized that now I was twenty-five minutes early. Great, hope this doesn’t make me look desperate or anything. When I walked into the coffee shop it was really quiet and I noticed that it was semi dark and one person was on stage.

        Damn did they already start? I thought Nick said seven?

        People started to snap and cheering for the girl on stage and I did the mistake of clapping before realizing I was wrong. A hand shot up in the crowd waving around to get my attention and I noticed it was Nick. I went up to where he was sitting and saving a seat for me. I smiled giving him a small side hug in return.

        “Hey I thought you said it started at seven?” I questioned.

        “Hey, yeah, I guess I was wrong. I learned that it was 6:30 just a little while after I saw you. I texted you though, did you get it?” He asked resting his arm behind my chair.

        I shook my head taking my phone out of my bag, “It must be still off from school sorry. My brother dropped me off early because he had a game. But good thing, huh?” I giggled lightly watching someone new get on stage. Well that certainly wasn’t there last week. Guess they just put that there.

        “That’s good then. I have to tell you I’m glad you came. It means a lot.” He whispered close to my ear as the person on stage began to speak.

        I smiled nodding my head, “Of course I’m glad you asked me to come. Just think of me as your main supporter.” I winked and he chuckled lightly. We turned around listening to the remainder of the poem the guy was reciting.

        When he left stage I leaned over to Nick asking more about how this all worked, “It’s easy, you can write a poem or recite your favorite poem. Then the judges in the back,” He turned around and pointed to the three people at a table with some papers, “give you an overall score out of fifty. Different categories: speech, body language, dialogue, passion shown for the poem, expressions, meaning and understanding and a few other things. Whoever has the higher score wins.”

        I nodded my head understanding turning back to another contestant. A lady with a coffee pot came around serving people a fresh cup of coffee. I took mine gratefully, and actually paying attention to the poets. I didn’t think I’d enjoy this as much as I was.

“Next we have Nicholas Landon from Lakeview High.” The lady announced snapping her fingers as they all encouraged Nick to come up.

“Good luck.” I told him as he got up.

He smiled getting up on stage, and this time I listened very, very closely and paid attention more than I did to the others.

        “Hi I’m Nick. As most of you know I love poetry, mostly William Shakespeare, but recently I’ve been told that I should watch Alice in Wonderland.” I smiled as he smiled in my direction quickly, “And I thought, hey why no recite something about Lewis Carroll.” He shrugged as several people in the audience cheered and clapped. “So here it goes…

“The sun was shining on the sea,

Shining with all his might:

He did his very best to make

The billows smooth and bright

-- And this was odd, because it was

The middle of the night.

The moon was shining sulkily,

Because she thought the sun

Had got no business to be there

After the day was done

-- "It's very rude of him," she said,

"To come and spoil the fun!"

The sea was wet as wet could be,

The sands were dry as dry.

You could not see a cloud, because

No cloud was in the sky:

No birds were flying overhead

-- There were no birds to fly.

In a Wonderland they lie

Dreaming as the days go by,

Dreaming as the summer die.”

        Everyone cheered and snapped for Nick as he walked off stage bowing and smiling. When Nick came back to his seat I stood up giving him a hug to congratulate him.

        “Like the poem?” He smiled smudgy knowing what the answer already was.

        “Yes! I never told you, not only is Alice in Wonderland a great movie, but I also like Lewis Carroll a lot.” I told him in all honesty.

        “I thought you would.” He laughed grabbing a cup of coffee from the waitress.

        “You did an amazing job up there. I didn’t get what you meant about showing passion for a poem but when you were up there I finally understood.” I complimented earning a bigger smile on his face; that made me aw but die a little bit in the inside because he’s so dang gorgeous.

        “Thanks. That means a lot, it makes me feel proud and believe that I did it right and I’m going to do well.”

        “Well you did no doubt.” I said waving my hand like it was nothing. I turned back to the stage as I could still feel his gaze on me. I held my coffee cup in both my hands as I watched the poet recite one of his own pieces.

        “By the way,” Nick whispered in my ear softly sending shivers down my spine, “I didn’t get to tell you how pretty you look tonight.” He complimented. I could feel his fingertips graze my arm as his arm was still resting on the back of my chair.

        I smiled into the coffee cup for a second before catching myself looking into his pretty sparkling blue eyes. “Thanks.” I whispered shyly as I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. I looked quickly up and down at what he was wearing; white graphic tee with a pale blue collared button down shirt that really brought out his eyes, and a pair of dark jeans.

        I was about to complement him when everyone started snapping and cheering. I blushed looking away, mistakenly again clapping. We both laughed as I switched one hand back to a snapping. Eight others went up reciting their favorite poems. There was a twenty minute break where the judges started counting up the points to find out the winner of the night.

        “I think that red head girl over there was good too. She’s the one who recited that endless love poem. That was sweet.” I said looking over to the other contestants.

        “That’s April, she loves poetry just as much as I do.” He nodded in agreement, “I liked Dan’s poem that was a funny one.” He chuckled.

        “Oh yes! His poem,” I laughed quietly, “I love when at the end he’s like ‘true story.’ But I promise, you were just as great if not better than them.”

        “Thanks Ally. I only did this because my teacher made me, and also for the extra credit, but it’s nice to know I did well too.” He smiled looking a little more confident than before.

        “You’re welcome.” I smiled back then thanking the lady who refilled our coffee mugs.

        “So are you into poetry or did you just come and pretend to enjoy it cause I asked you to?” He teased taking a sip of his coffee.

        “Of course not. No, I enjoy a little bit of poetry. I’m no die hard junky like you, but I’ve memorized a couple.” I said confidently and proudly.

        “Really? You have some poetry up your sleeve? Why don’t you recite one tonight?” He offered.

        My eyes went wide as I shook my head rapidly, “Oh no, no, no, I’m a nervous wreck at public speaking.”

        “Oh come on it’s not so bad. Tell you a secret, all you have to do is take a deep breath, clear your mind and relax, look a one spot in the room, and just be yourself. Talk like you’re talking to me.”

        I smiled nodding my head as I thought about it. The thought of speaking in front of everybody frightened me just a little but now as Nick was describing it, I kind of wanted to run up on stage now. But then I thought about messing up and freaked out in my head all over again.

        “Alright attention please,” the announcer asked waiting a minute, “Thank you. Well we’d like to thank everyone for participating in tonight’s event; you Lakeview High’s students did an amazing job. Now before we announce the results is there anyone that would like to recite a poem from someone or one they have written? You don’t have to be a Lakeview High student.” She giggled nervously looking in the crowd for a hand, “Anyone? Anyone at all? Come on now, there must be one person. Waiters? Waitresses?” She offered going on about it.

        “Ally wants to recite one!” Nick shouted.

        I’m pretty sure I could have gotten whiplash from turning around so quickly. Did Nickolas Landon just really sign me up to recite a poem in front of all these people?! Without asking me!?

        “I’m not going up there!” I whisper screamed holding my mug tight in my hands.

        “Yes you can. Go, you know you secretly want to.” He encouraged.

        “Nick I haven’t spoken in front of people since I was twelve! And that resulted in me throwing up. I can’t-”

        “Yes you can, I’m right here. You can do it I have total faith in you. It can be as simple as roses are red; violets are blue, now go up, come on.” He encouraged again grabbing my mug slowly from my hands.

        My hands were literally shaking like a Chihuahua. There was no such things as butterflies flying in my stomach; this was full of dragons and eagles fighting over territory in my stomach.

        “Miss, would you like to come up?” The lady asked waving me on stage.

        No! Hell no!

        “Go.” Nick pushed smiling at me.

        Oh my God I’m so going to murder him.

        I slowly walked up on stage as the audience started snapping for me. I was nervous as… I couldn’t even tell you. If my scale of nervousness was on a scale of one to ten, ten being the worse, my number would be infinity!

        When I stood on stage my mind was full of thoughts and worries. I don’t know why I was so jumpy or this bad, I play soccer games for high school and there’s always way more people there!

        I focused on the microphone in front of me, it looked like a freaking black hole ready to suck me up, “Um…..uh… hi.” Oh Nick you are so dead! Looking at Nick he smiled at me putting two thumbs up. He gave me a calming relaxed look reminded me what I had to do.

        Take a deep breath,…

        Clear your mind,…

        Relax,…

        Look a one spot in the room,…

        Just be yourself…

        Staring at Nick it took me another moment before I was in full control of my emotions, voice, and body, but when he smiled something in me just warmed up. As corny as that sounds.

        “Well hi, my name is Ally Jenson.” I greeted hoping that I was using this microphone right, “Well I wasn’t really prepared for this at all. Volunteered by force actually,” I said giving a quick cold look at Nick that made everyone laugh. Wow did I just make everyone laugh?! A little more relieved I smiled rubbing my hands up and down the sides of my jeans.

         “Well to be honest I only have two poems that I ever memorized. One is by Doctor Sues,… it’s not really a poem it’s more like I can recite the whole Green Eggs and Ham book I-” Everyone again started to laugh and I kind of felt good being on stage, “I read it to my little brother every night so you can see my reason why.” Some of the girls awed and I just smiled nervously tucking a strand of hair behind my ear, “The other poem I memorized is called It’s Funny by Arianna Loshnowsky, so here it goes…

It's funny how hello is always accompanied with goodbye

It's funny how good memories can start to make you cry

It’s funny how forever never seems to last

It's funny how much you'd lose if you forgot about your past

It's funny how “friends” can just leave when you are down

It's funny how when you need someone they never are around

It's funny how people change and think they're so much better-”

I paused remembering how the rest of the poem went, and to me it was sadly ironic in a way…

“-It's funny how many lies are packed into one “love letter”

It's funny how one night can contain so much regret

It's funny how you can forgive but not forget

It's funny how ironic life turns out to be

But the funniest part of all, is none of that’s funny to me”

        I tore my sad eyes away from Nick when I heard people howl, snap, and cheer for me. Which shocked me, because I didn’t think I deserved that acceptance. I thanked everyone giving a slight bow as I walked off the little platform they had set up. I gave a hug to Nick as he congratulated me and told me how great I did.

        “Thanks-”

        “See I knew you could do it! Great job Ally.” He said proudly kissing my forehead.

        I smiled and blushed as I took a seat and he handed me back my coffee mug. “Wow that was incredible; I wish she had joined in the contest.” The announcer lady spoke, “Are there any more volunteers?” After a few seconds later another girl went up reciting another poem. We were the only two that went up not in the contest.

        When the announcer lady offered once more no one spoke so she continued with announcing results. The poem I recited played in my head over and over again. I don’t know why I had memorized that poem; all I remember was that I had to choose one freshman year if I wanted extra credit on my final exam for English. I guess it was because it was the easiest poem for me to remember, I never looked into detail in the meaning of it, but it was now ironic with my life.

        It’s funny how so many lies are packed in one “love letter”-

        All the lies I ever told Nick during our chats and the flirting. It’s funny how one night can contain so much regret. If I never lied to Nick who knows, maybe things would be easier. Maybe if I didn’t lie to him that night- I would never know now.

        It’s funny how ironic life turns out to be…

        “Ally!” Nick shouted taking me out of my thought.

        I closed my eyes for a brief second and mentally shook out the contemplations out of my head. I smiled looking up at him as he held a little red ribbon in his hands.

        “Second place.” He smiled showing me the ribbon.

        “Aw, congratulations Nick!” I admired giving him a hug.

        “Thanks. You were good too. You should have entered the contest.” He praised sitting back in his chair and taking a sip of coffee.

        “Which reminds me, I can’t believe you did that!” I scolded playfully shoving his shoulder, “After I told you my fear of public speaking.”

        He laughed at me as he placed his arm back around my chair, “I knew you could do it. I had full confidence in you. You so wanted to do it, don’t deny it.”

        “I so did not!.... Okay made a little tiny but in the beginning but then it was a total no!” I admitted nervously.

        “See! I knew you would. And that was a great poem. It was simple, emotional, yet… reality.” He commented approvingly.

        I nodded slowly as the thoughts of the poem flooded back in my mind, “Yeah, it’s… from the heart, and catchy.” When my phone rang in my bag I couldn’t believe that three hours had passed. So when my brother said he was already in the parking lot I frowned at the quick time passed.

        “Aw you have to go already?” Nick frowned pouting his bottom lip cutely.

        “Yeah, my brother is outside waiting.” I said finishing the last sip of my coffee and getting cup from my chair.

        “I guess time does fly when you’re having fun.”

        “I guess it does. I’ll see you later.” I smiled walking to the door with him as he walked me out.

        “Yeah maybe we can hang out next weekend or something.” He offered opening the door for me.

        “Yeah totally, just text me or something.” I agreed, “Thanks for asking me to come tonight; I enjoyed listening and seeing you up there.”

        “Thanks, I’m glad you came.” He said standing outside with me. Luke beeped his horn as me telling me to hurry up.

        I looked at Nick apologetically, “Sorry he probably wants to hurry up and go home.”

        “It’s alright,” He chuckled looking over to Luke’s car, “I’ll just talk to you later.”

        “Okay, goodnight Nick.” I smiled slowly walking away.

        “Goodnight Ally.” I gasped turning around quickly forgetting to kiss him on the cheek. With a giggle I quickly pecked him on the cheek and smiled, turning away with another goodnight.

        Sitting on my bed ready to fall asleep the poem recited again through my head. It’s funny how good memories can start to make you cry. And there was the tear drop falling down my cheek when I thought about Nick finding out and leaving me, and all the good times we had so far behind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment. Vote. FAN! Thanks for reading-XOLuvKylie

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

102 10 10
Sweet Amina mistakenly falls in love deeply for her best friend, fortunately the feelings are mutual. However, can a relationship built over lies an...
205K 5.7K 61
"I need you to be the put together one because I'm so fucked up. You've saved me." He whispers. "Carter, we saved each other." I mutter looking at hi...
232 21 21
Noah Everlie Transit's world just got turned up side down, or maybe right side up when you really think about it. When the police show up at her door...
18.6K 755 47
Who can you trust when your whole world is fake? As long as she can remember, Elise wanted to be a doctor. Now, with her medical school almost finish...