READ 9:35PM

By KaylaMcKenziee

Retreat? Experiment? Whatever the hell it is, Indigo Morgan didn't want to be apart of it. She was on track w... More

Read 9:35pm
1 | Indigo Morgan
2 | Ares Knight
3 | Indie Morgan
4 | Ares Sage
5 | Indie Morgan
6 | Ares Sage
7 | Indie Morgan
8 | Indie Morgan
9 | Ares Sage
10 | Indigo Morgan
12 | Indie Morgan
13 | Ares Sage

11 | Ares Sage

6 2 12
By KaylaMcKenziee

Week 2: Sunday

"So, tell me about your childhood some more? Before your parents if you don't mind." Indie asks are we continue with our first phone call.

At this point, I have settled in the bed with my phone propped on my chest, laying flat down. The lights are dim and my white noise is playing.

"I don't mind talking about my childhood, before or after my parents. I just don't think about it often." I tell her, scratching at my head.

"I had both my parents in the house, which I know is one thing I should be grateful for. Neither one of my parents was close with their families, so it was really just the four of us."

"I was literally attached to my moms hip, always with her wherever she went. My brother was the same with my dad, but since he was significantly order, their relationship was a lot different." I smile a little recalling my family.

"Do you remember what they look like?" Indie's soft voice asks through the phone. I immediately respond to her.

"Yeah, no question... it's hard to forget someone you won't allow yourself to forget. I could probably close my eyes and it be like they are right in front of me." Even though it's not a lot, this is probably the most I've talked about my parents in years.

"My mom, she was beautiful. She had 4C hair but it was big. She would often pick it out in an Afro with some big hoop earrings. My dad always said that and her brown eyes were what drew him too her." I hear an "aw" like sound on the other end of them phone which makes me chuckle.

"Now my dad, he was...big."

"What do you mean big??" Indie says laughing. Probably at my tone because that's the first word that comes to mind when I think of my dad.

"Listen, I'm 6'3 and probably about 300 pounds of muscle okay. I got it all from my dad. When I say big, I mean intimidating. Looks like he could be The Rocks brother or something."

"Im sorry, I'm still on the fact that you said you're 300 pounds of pure muscle. You thinking highly of yourself ain't you??" I know she's kidding as she laughs loudly.

"Yea yea kid, pipe down ms 5'2. Are you sure you aren't 10? I'm really not trynna catch a case."

"I'm 5'8!! So, hush. My height is cute!"

"I knew it, you trynna lock me up with that pedophile shit. Don't call your height cute, don't you know the FBI/CIA listening. They gonna lock me up."

She doesn't even respond, you can hear her laughing to the point where it seems like she's trying to catch her breath. I'm actually grateful for the fact that we've seem to have stopped the conversation on my parents. At some point, it was going to get overwhelming for me.

"I can't believe you just called yourself a pedophile!"

"I didn't, I said what you was saying was some pedophile shit I could get locked up for." I roll my eyes playfully.

"Same difference."

As we start to die down and Indie seems to have calmed down more. I ask a sudden question on my mind. "You don't curse a lot huh?"

"Nah! I don't really find cursing cute lol. Like every so often is fine but with every other word in a sentence. Nah, I couldn't get past that, it's just not attractive. Plus, I didn't grow up cursing, so, it's not apart of my everyday vocabulary."

"I got you. I don't curse a whole lot either, but I would say I do at least 5 times a day. Does that mean I'm still attractive?"

" I wouldn't know, I haven't seen you."

"Touché"

But I have seen you..is what I want to add at the end. However, I can't help but think about what could happen if I told her that I know who she is.

Would she want to stop talking to me ?

Would she want to know who I am?

I don't want to lose her as my friend. She is starting to become an important person in my life even if it has only been a week since we've been talking.

I don't think I can go back to pre life without Indie.

Plus, I'm only 95% sure that Indigo from the meeting is the Indie on the other side of the screen. Now, am I saying that to make myself feel a little better about this situation, probably. But I don't know for absolutely sure if it is her and I won't know until she tells me. So for now, I'll play it cool. At least until I know how she would react.

Out of pure curiosity, I sit up and grab my computer on my nightstand. Immediately, I go to google and put in Indigo Morgan. The women from the meeting pops up in all different kinds of photos scattered along the screen. Each one I'm stunned.

She is beautiful, truly beautiful.

"Uh Ares?"

"Huh? Sorry, I guess I'm just dozing off."

"Oh yeah, same forreal. I'm just turning out the lights."

"Then I'll let you go mini me. Talk to you tomorrow?"

"You bet! Goodnight Ares"

"Good night mini me."

***

Indie and I didn't stay on the phone for much longer. It was around 12 am when we both decided to call it a night. The two of us both having busy days today. I have a game today at 6, but my niece is coming at 12. My sister in law, Nadia, called me the other day and if she could drop Naamari off.

They live in San Francisco, so I don't see them all the time or as often as I should. It's been a tough time so I'm trying to convince them to move closer towards the city. I know that Naamari can be a handful and I know that if they move closer, I'd be able to help more. I can't just decide to up and leave because of my contract.

I made sure to get up early because I know that Naamari is going to want something to eat as soon as she get here. It's only about 10 am now. Naamari is coming to the game and spending the night, so when Nadia drops her off, she won't have to worry about her.

As I start making lunch, my thoughts drift to Indie and I's first phone call. Regardless of the fact that we have only know each other for a week, we talked like we have known each other all our lives.

Our texts flowed smoothly, our conversation never ceased, but hearing the tone of her voice while she is speaking makes everything better. Her voice honestly just keeps me engaged; I can never get bored listening to her.

I didn't expect to talk about Urijah, nor my parents, not that we went in depth with it. That subject is rather hard for me to talk about. Talking about Nadia and Naamari is an extension of Urijah and he's an extension of my parents.

But as I said, talking to her, the conversation flows and we tend to just say things that come to mind, even when it may not be something I'd talk about regularly.

My phone ringing takes me out of my thoughts. The caller ID flashes Indie's name on the screen. I find myself smirking at the fact that she's calling me first even though she was somewhat skeptical about talking on the phone. She did tell me how she was going back and forth in her head about whether or not she was ready to start phone calls. I'm glad she gave into it though, and I'm glad she isn't scared to call me since we've broken the initial first call jitters.

"Well good morning." I turn my Italian hot sausages before pushing them back in the oven. I stir the broccoli and rice on the stove. "How'd you sleep?"

"Good morning, Ares." I can hear the subtle morning voice; it makes me smile. I'm probably the first person she's spoken too today. "I slept fairly well, how about you?"

"I slept well too mini me. Want to know what I noticed?"

"What?"

"You speak so proper with your fairly and somewhat." This makes her laugh. "Is there a reason behind this?"

"For work I had to learn how to speak to different groups of people in different ways. Basically, code switching. Some of it just carried into my regular way of speaking."

I completely related to that. When I do interviews, I have found myself code switching multiple times without even noticing. Using words that I wouldn't normally use in my everyday conversations. However, it's only happened in professional settings.

"What are you up too?" She asks me. I can hear some commotion going on in her background, but I obviously ignore it.

"Nothing much, just making lunch for Naamari and myself. She'll be here soon!"

"Mm, what are you making? I'm trying to decide what I want to eat. I woke up rather late today."

"I put some Italian hot sausages in the oven, got some broccoli and rice on the stove." I smirk when I hear a subtle groan coming from her.

"That sounds good. I haven't had Italian Sausage in so long. I'm thinking about making some chicken pasta."

We continued talking about different foods that we liked, especially while growing up. She actually tells me a story about how her mom made her try a new food every time they went to a restaurant when she was younger because all she would eat was chicken tenders. I totally related to that. If every restaurant had chicken tenders, that was a sign to get them. It's the perfect go to meal, and it never lets you down.

Right on time, my door bell rings. Even though I gave them a key, it never gets used. Something about respecting my privacy.

"Hey, my niece is here. I'll talk to you later?" I say into the phone. At this point, I made my way outside to the backyard with the food done and waiting.

"Yes, of course!"

"Bet, bye Indie!"

"Bye!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 71.6K 48
Asha Mitchell is all about her education and the next box to check off her list of goals. She never allows anyone to steer her from her path or take...
1.1M 23.8K 30
"I want to go back to my old ways." Ezra said in a monotone. It felt like he held no emotion. I stood dumbfounded not knowing what to do? "I tried yo...
111 30 11
(DISCONTINUED) I walked all the way to the park. I waited every day for at least thirty minutes. I walked back my confidence withering. Every. Singl...
3.7K 401 56
"Why do you always avoid my questions?" "I'm not, it's just that there's nothing to say. Who would ever want to date someone they can't even talk to...