FUMES [2], jj maybank

By jir0u_

seasons 1-2 ALL THE WAY DOWN SCREAMIN' jj maybank x sam vernon kiara carrera x bailey perez book two to NICK... More

0. characters n info
1. MORNING LIGHT
2. THIS IS BEYOND BELIEF
3. IT'S A RACE AGAINST THE CLOCK
4. OH, IM ON FIRE
5. WISH YOU COULD HAVE WANTED IT A LITTLE BIT
6. THESE DREAMS, THEY'RE TAKING HOLD
7. IF ALL WE HAVE IS TIME
8. THEN WE'LL BE ALRIGHT
9. YOU'RE MY BEST FRIEND
10. HOPE YOU DON'T REGRET IT
11. I'M USING WHITE LIGHTERS TO SEE
12. DYING JUST TO FEEL ALIVE
13. IF I LEFT RIGHT NOW
14. ESCAPE IS WHAT I NEED
15. WATCHING MY YOUTH SLIP AWAY
16. WE'LL MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT
17. AND NOW I'M PARANOID
18. MY HEAD IS FILLED WITH PARASITES
19. WE'RE RUNNING ON FUMES
ACT II
20. LATELY I CAN'T FIND THE BEAT
21. THE DOG DAYS ARE OVER
22. HERE IN THE LAND OF REBEL POWERS
23. FEEL ALRIGHT
24. MISS ME WITH THAT BULLSHIT
25. I'M OFF ON THE ADVENTURE
26. WHAT'S BEEN HAPPENIN' IN YOUR WORLD?
27. 'CAUSE IT FEELS LIKE MURDER
28. ENJOY YOUR YOUTH
29. DEVIL'S ADVOCATE
30. THERE'S A BURNING IN MY BONES
31. 'CAUSE SOCIALLY SPEAKING, WE WERE THE SAME
32. GIVE THE BRUISES OUT LIKE GIFTS
33. YOU LEFT SOME HOLES IN THE PLOTLINE
34. HIT THE TONE, COCK IT BACK
35. SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT
36. AS IT WAS
37. THE FEELINGS START TO ROT
38. ARE WE IN THE CLEAR YET?
39. AND WHEN YOU GO AWAY
40. PRONE TO BEING BLINDED
42. I'VE BEEN MOVING IN BACKWARDS DIRECTIONS
BOOK 3 IS OUT

41. NO ONE'S GONNA CATCH US NOW

315 11 5
By jir0u_

"I'M REGRETTING THIS, HIGH-KEY," I hold a hand to my heart.

    "Yeah, nice work, John B. You know these things lock from the outside, right? And, Sam hates small spaces!" JJ points at me in my slightly panicked state. "I know, okay? I was just trying to get us on the boat, JJ. I wasn't thinking that far ahead—"

  "We're stuck in here, like rats! In this death cage!" JJ panics as well now.

      It's so warm in here. I have to take my hoodie off or I'm scared I'll pass the fuck out. "Okay, JJ, you're not helping," Pope whispers. JJ wouldn't admit it to our friends but he too has a feel of small spaces. He admitted it to me one time. We were high so I have no idea if he remembers.

  "You said you had a plan. What happened to thinking ahead?" JJ says to Pope. The lack of cycling air in this crate is gonna drive me to my death. "I find your lack of self knowledge disturbing," Pope says.

  JJ let's out a chuckle, "Last I checked, you literally shot an oil container with the gat—"

  "Wow!"

  "Remember that!"

  I roll my eyes and pull at my hair, "Oh my God!"

  "Shut up! Shut up!" Kie kicks the two boys, "Pull it together." The two boys sigh loudly. "Would it be wrong to sit here in my bra?" Bailey pants. The heat is rising quickly. "Bails, don't. I understand but, don't," Kie puts a hand on her girlfriend's shirt. I pull back and forth on the collar of my t-shirt, trying to fan myself from heat and panic. "Let's just find a way out of here," Pope says quietly.

      JJ walks over to me in my little corner and bends down, almost like I'm a child, "You okay, Pigeon?"

   I smirk, "You haven't used that one in a while. I'm just trying to—not focus on the fact that we're FUCKED," I kick the metal crate, making everyone jump, "right now." Tears prick at my eyes but I remember why we're here. For Sarah and for Piper. At least I'm here for Piper. The black pistol resides in my back pocket. JJ holds my face, "We'll get outta here, baby. I promise."

  "You better do good on that, JJ," I tilt my head and kiss his palm, looking into his eyes. 

     God—how long have we been on this thing? If I had balls—they would've sweat off by now. All of us took off as many clothes as we could. "Hey, Pope. Do you know how to kill a snake?" I roll my eyes at JJ's question. "You go for the head," Pope says, leaning against the rope to keep him up. "Exactly. But the head, in this instance, is the bridge. To take the bridge, we need maximum firepower. And I happen to know that there's an armory on this ship in case of pirate attacks—"

  "Maybank, this isn't a fucking Pirates of the Caribbean movie!"

  "Okay, Perez but if we take that—I'm not just talking pistols—"

  Kie gets up, "You lost me."

  "Yeah, babe. Let's kill everyone on ship. Smart!" I'm acting like I don't have a plan to kill someone. "No, babe. I'm serious—"

  "I know you are, JJ. That's the worst part!" I tilt my head at him and smack my hands against my thighs. "If we get to the armory, I'm talking AKs, pistols, knives, double-barrels—" JJ just continues on. I hold my head in my hands. My hair is sticking to every part of my head right now, stuck down by sweat.

  "Guys," I hear Kie but the boys and Bailey keep arguing. "Guys," She says again. What a bunch of dumbasses. "Losers!" I yell with my small bit of energy and point at Kie. She tilts her head towards something, so I get up to see what she's gesturing to.

     I push past the boys and spot the window shining the small slither of sun on us. "We can fit through that, yeah?"

  "I'd rather not, but what choice do we have?" I shrug and glance at Kie. "Hell yeah. Nice one, Kie," JB praises her. "What was that about a swiss army knife not coming in handy?" JJ holds up his small knife. "Just stop it," John B tells him.

  I really don't want to be the first out of this window. Bailey pushes JJ and he starts to get the window open with his knife. Long exhales come out of my nose. My hands run up and down my arms—shit, my hoodie. It was covering the gun. I run back quickly and grab the hoodie, covering the gun again. "Sam, you're gonna overheat," Kie tells me. I shake my head, "No, no. I'm fine."

   JJ finally gets the small window open, "Okay, raid the armory, get weapons, roll back here, and plot the next move. The armory is on the third deck, aft, near the laundry room. Let's roll."

  I sigh. "JJ, hold up. I don't think we should go out there. It's too risky." Is Pope right? Yes. Would I rather be out of this damn crate? Yes.

  "Why?" JJ asks. "I gotta be honest, I think you should stay here. Sam as well," John B points to JJ and I. I'm taken back slightly, "What?" We both ask at the same time. "I have Sarah that I'm gonna go after. And Pope has..."

  "The cross!"

  "Okay, so why don't we all go get it?" I raise my voice. "Also, if you two go out there, there's 100% probability that you're gonna do something stupid!" I scoff at John B. "Okay, first of all, I think the correct terminology is 'ballsy'. That is it!" JJ replies.

     Pope starts to tug JJ down but he swats him away. "I wanna leave this fucking crate!" I whine like a child. "It's safer if you two stay here, Sam!" Kie tells me. "This is bullshit, guys!" I curse and slump against the boxes behind me. "Would you two shush? If you two go out there, and we get in a bind, we need somebody to look out for us. That's what we need," John B whispers. I roll my eyes and huff. "Okay. I get it. I get it. We will be on B team, right, babe?"

   I throw my hands up, "Fine. Fine. Not like I have a fucking choice!" I stomp away as the rest of them argue. I'm not even mad that they think we'll do something stupid. I'm mad that I'm stuck in here and not fighting Rafe. Or killing him. I sulk back into my corner and JJ walks over to me, Kie behind him. "You letting Bailey get out there and not us? She's as reckless as us!" I yell. "No, no. She isn't. It's just me and you guys. Babysitting," She groans.

  "You chose to stay here, Kie. I'm the one that knows this ship and where the armory is yet, I'm stuck here. in the hot ass crate!" JJ scoffs. I wipe sweat from my forehead and throw my head back,"I have a panic attack, it's on you, Kie."

"I've literally helped you through your panic attacks, Sam—"

   "Oh, congrats! You want a gold star, Kie?" I lean forward, elbows pressed into my knees. "Yes, actually, I'd love—"

  "Would you two stop? Shit. There's no one you two argue with more than each other," JJ yells at us. I lean back again, rolling my head to the side. The longer I'm in here, the longer Rafe gets to live.

  "Well, I've been thinking. When all this is over and we're just rolling in the dough, I'm gonna get a new board, I'm gonna deck it out, teach Sam how to surf, and then, we're going on a surf trip," I move the sweaty strands out of my face and slightly smile at JJ, "I don't know where, but, like, the worlds calling. One of you name a place."

    My brain can't work with all this heat so I stay quiet. Kie sighs, "Spain."

  "Then after Spain, South America or South Africa. We'll go to Japan for you, babe," JJ nudges me and my head loosely falls onto his shoulder. "You'll go to South Africa?"

  "One of the South places," JJ tells Kie, "And then Micronesia maybe, and then...just ride," JJ wraps an arm around my shoulder and even if I'm half dying because of the heat, I don't move his arm. "Wherever the wave takes us, J?" I look at him and his eyes that match the ocean he loves so much. He smiles at me and nods. "So, that's the plan if we were to get a ton of cash? That's the dream? Surf trip? While torturing Sam to learn how to surf?" Kie asks and I chuckle. "I learned how to skateboard. I'll be willing to try surfing for the—6th? Time," We all giggle remembering my multiple failed attempts at doing what Pogues are supposed to do best.

   "Think about it. Bamboo hut, cooking a fish on a fire, and after that you just hit wave after wave," JJ squeezes my shoulder. "What about Oregon?" I ask. "Shit, we have enough, we'll buy you a nice Victorian home there," His lips plant themselves on the side of my head. "Sounds perfect," Kie says with a rough voice. I nod my head. Every move makes my body flash up in heat.

  "Got room for one more or should I expect to be an aunt?" Kie says and both JJ and I laugh. The thought of being a mom terrifies me. Rightfully so given my....circumstances. I think everyone is scared to be a parent though. What makes it easier is having someone you love and who loves you back, more than I think I'll be ever able to comprehend.

   "You got your passport?" JJ asks her. "You don't have a passport," Kie tells him. "She's right, you don't," I gently poke his cheek. "Well, hell no, I don't have my passport. Kookiest thing ever!" Kie and I erupt into giggles. "You don't need—"

Pope whispering makes me stop talking, "Hey. Hey. Open it!" I move from JJ quickly and remove the vent so that they can get it, passing it down to Kie. I move down so that the three of them can get in. "You need help?" Kie asks as Pope wiggles in. "I thought Rafe got you guys for sure," Kie says. "I'm good. Bailey is hurt—"

"What?" Kie and I both shout. John B gets in and then helps Bailey. Kie shoves him out of the way. "Jeez, Pope, you made it sound so dramatic," Bailey pants, "I got hit with a crowbar trying to help Pope—"

  "Help him with what?" I panic. My eyes bounce off each of my friends. None of them answer and then, someone else pops up by the opening. I jump at the sight of the random girl in a hat. "Jesus Christ! I kill you, John B!" She starts climbing in. I scrunch my eyebrows at her comfortable use of my best friend's name. She's too comfortable.

  "Who is this?" I harshly whisper. "Just relax. Okay, I told you I had a surprise!" John B tries to defend himself. "Who is she? Why'd she hurt Bailey? What's going on? John B?" Kie and I both panic. "Kie, Sam. Relax. Remember I told you about the girl we met in the Bahamas that saved us?" He grabs our shoulders. Kie and I look at each other. I struggle to remember the name of the cool girl with the knife that Sarah and John B told us about.

  "Uh...Cleo, yeah?" Kie remembers. John B nods at us. Cleo. This is Cleo. "Cleo," John B looks up at the girl who I now notice is wearing Pope's shirt, "She's gonna help us, alright?"

   "Next time, ask me. I'm really sorry about your arm," Cleo points to Bailey who is now hugging Kie tightly. "To be fair, I punched you in the face," The two girls chuckle.

  "Let me see your arm...." I hear Kie whisper before I move back over to JJ. "So, weapons? Guns. Anything?" JJ shrugs. The whole point of them going was to find the armory, yet, no guns except the unknown one in my back pocket. None of them answer. Jesus. The one job.

  JJ scoffs, "You seriously didn't grab a single gun?"

   "We tr...we tried, okay? I got attacked!" John B says. "This is why I should've gone with—"

  "Shush! Shush! Stop!" I yell at the two boys. Annoyance in my tone. "Let me get this straight. You six, with no weapons, decided you were gonna hijack this tramp steamer on your down? Do you have any idea who these people are? Eberhimi, if he catch you, he's gonna kill you. Dead! Cut off your fingers!" Cleo aggressively explains. I believe her, oddly enough.

The gun. Maybe I should tell them about the gun. "Okay. What about waiting until we get to port? Dip before they open the crate?" Bailey suggests. "Yeah, at least then, if something goes wrong, we have a place to run," Kie agrees with her girlfriend. I lean my back against the boxes. As much as I would love to wait till we get to the port, Rafe. Rafe Cameron the killer is on that boat and you know who isn't here? Piper Valdez. Her betrayal is still fresh but I'm not even mad at her.

  I'm mad at myself for not trying to understand her.

   "No. No, we can't do that," Pope argues, "Because I've run the scenario over 1,000 times in my head, and our best chances are on the ship. There's 15 crew members and six of us," Pope throws 6 fingers up, "Three to one odds. That's the best it'll get. We wait till we get there, they'll trap us."

   "We have no chance."

   "No, Kie, there's something else," John B pauses and looks around at all of us, "Ward's alive."

   I physically step back at the news. JJ hands hold my waist. "My mom was right," I whisper.

  "He's alive and he's on this boat."

    "What?" Kie yells. It's almost like I can feel the heat from the explosion all over again. "Yeah," John B scoffs. "You've gotta be kidding me," JJ says, still holding me. "Are you serious?" Pope says. I shake my head, "How the fuck did he survive that?" Bailey dramatically hits her head against a box and earns a scolding from Kie. "It was all a setup, blowing up the boat, the confession to Shoupe. Think about it. It was to clear Rafe's name. And he does what? Goes to the Druthers. And what's on the Druthers?"

   "Scuba," Kie says to JB. "Bingo."

  I run my hand through my hair, "Sarah is on the boat with Ward. She's even worse off than before!" I frustratedly yell. JJ's comforting hand rests on my shoulder, "So, Ward's alive, huh? And he has the gold and the cross and Sarah," JJ gently moves past me and towards John B. "Let's not rub it in, Maybank," Bailey retorts. He ignores her, "So he's just gonna get away with everything again, huh? Not happening. We're not watching this movie again. Right, Pope? You said we need the win. And with her," JJ points at Cleo who stands in front of me, "we're going to the bridge, and we're gonna take it right now. You with me?"

    I excuse myself as I go past Cleo, "Rafe has gotten away with two fucking murders of innocent people, he's lucky if he makes it off that boat." All my friends' eyes dig into me. "You think he killed Piper?" Kie quietly asked. "I know he did. He's the one that hired her, her found out she confessed and shot her, like Peterkin, in the stomach. So, let's go fucking do it. Let's get the cross—"

   "Babe, you can't go on a kill spree on the boat—"

   "It's not a killing spree if one person is dead. You're one to stop me, huh?" I chuckle at the irony of JJ trying to stop me. "With what gun, Sam?" John B narrows his eyes at me. Shit, I guess now is the best time. I reach around and grab the gun, I carefully show it to my friends and boyfriend who all jump back and yell. "Sam!"

"Where you get the gun? Jesus. Your friends are crazy, John B!" Cleo looks at me with wide eyes. My eyes go to JJ. I can't tell if he's scared or proud of me. "Sunshine...." He whispers at me. I swallow the lump in my throat, "We saw our friend, dead, and you guys have the nerve to yell at me for having the gun? Rafe deserves to suffer—"

   "We never said he didn't but you could've told us you had a gun. A warning would have been nice!" John B harshly whispers at me. I slip the gun back in my pocket and shrug, "Well, I'm telling you now. Let's go."

    Pope lets out a loud sigh, "Fine but I wanna be the one to take the bridge." JJ pats his back, "That's what I'm talking about."

    Cleo's chuckle makes me whip my head around. "He's gonna take the bridge?" She asks referring to Pope. I frown, "Yeah. Why?" This girl has no idea what Pope has done so far. She shouldn't be underestimating him.

   "He couldn't even take me!"

   "Okay, first of all, I was going easy on you—"

   "Seriously?" JJ whispers to Pope. "I went easy on YOU!" Cleo says. Bailey and Kie shush them. I scoff and cross my arms. I just wanna get on the damn boat. Why are we dragging this? "Relax, all of you," John B says.

   "If you're really with us, if we use that knife, we can go up into the bridge, hold it up against the captain's neck, then we go on the intercom and make him tell the rest of the crew to meet up in the forward hull. Once they're in the same place, bam! We lock them in there, and we take back what's ours!" JJ says his elaborate plan, which is actually good for once. "I like it. It could work," Pope and I nod. JJ's stare stays on the newcomer, "Are you with us, then?"

     I hold my frown as I wait for her answer. She glances at me for a second. "No," Of course she said no, she doesn't know it's a rare time that JJ has a good idea, "This is stupid!"

    "Listen, Cleo, this is a good idea—"

    "Alright, let's open these things up!" A man's voice on the other side of the crate makes me shut up real quick. "Fuck, they're checking the containers!" Bailey curses. "Uh-oh."

   Cleo jumps up to where they came from earlier and opens up the crate. "Wait. No. Cleo," John B tells her. "What are you doing?" Kie whispers. "Yo, new girl, what are you doing?" I plant my hands on my hips. She holds a finger to her mouth and shushes me. I jerk my head back. Sarah liked and praised her so much for a reason so, I just remember to give her the benefit of the doubt. Cleo climbs out of the window.

"Do we trust her?" I ask John B. "Yes. Yes. She is gonna help us, okay?" John B gently grabs my wrist as a way to add more reassurance. We can hear her calling for the guy.

   "This one is clear, sir." John B smiles at me, "See."

   "See," I mock him. "Okay, she's on our side. That's good," Pope sighs. "Pope, you're up, we will wait for your signal, okay?" JJ tells him. His eyes fall to me, "Who's gun is it—"

   "Why does it matter, JJ?" I roll my eyes. "Because, you hated my gun and all the sudden you have one and didn't tell me? Whose gun is it, princess?" He uses my weakness against me and caresses my face. I grip his wrist, "Brandon's, okay? He doesn't know. I got it after Weston hurt me when I was trying to find you. I felt—safer. Don't be mad. I didn't want you to know because you'd think I'm a hypocrite and—"

   "Sunshine, sunshine, it's okay. I don't blame you but, we have to go. We have to get Sarah, and the cross, and you aren't going on a killing spree, please? No stupid plans without telling each other. Remember?" His finger gently slides up and down my cheek. I chuckle, "Yeah. No stupid plans."

   It's a lie because I already plan on separating myself from him, which is something he won't approve of once we're on the boat. I smile at him though and he smiles back.

   A couple of minutes after Pope and Cleo left, someone on the boat gets on the mic. "All hands and all passengers report to the tween hull immediately."

   They did it. They took over the ship. "They took the bridge," John B says.

   "That's our boy," JJ smiles. The two boys start to get the grate off. "Once they're all in the hull, Sam and I will lock them inside. Kie and Bailey, you try to help Pope and Cleo, got it?" JJ tells us. "Yeah, yeah. We've got this. Just gotta avoid a murderous dad, yup," Bailey throws a sarcastic thumbs up. Kie swats her hand down, "We'll be fine. I promise," Kie plants a kiss on her cheek. JJ and I fake gag, just like Kie used to do to us. "I'll find Sarah."

   "We'll meet you, get the cross and get outta here," Kie and John B go over the plan. "Okay, let's go bitches," I hoist myself up and wiggle myself out of the small window. I carefully place my hands on the barrels and my feet hit the ground. JJ is out next and I help him out. The other three get out and we start our way towards the rest of the ship.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.9K 56 10
Kiara Carrera, JJ Maybank, two teenagers who hate each other but come together when a certain Kiara needs help winning Rafe Cameron over.
466K 6.2K 47
Lᴏᴠᴇ ᴡᴀs ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ᴏɴ ᴇʟʟɪᴏᴛᴛs ᴍɪɴᴅ ᴛɪʟʟ sʜᴇ ꜰᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴄᴏᴍꜰᴏʀᴛ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴏʟᴅᴇʀ ᴄᴀᴍᴇʀᴏɴ sɪʙʟɪɴɢ, ᴀ ʙʟᴏɴᴅᴇ ʙᴏʏ ᴡʜᴏ ᴅɪᴅ ɴᴏᴛʜɪɴɢ ʙᴜᴛ ᴍᴀᴋᴇ ʜᴇʀ ʜᴀᴘᴘʏ. Tʜᴇɴ ʜᴇ ᴛʜʀᴇᴡ ɪ...
9.4K 248 8
LOVE | OUTERBANKS " you can hear it in the silence, you can feel it on the way home, you can see it with the lights out, you are in love, true love...
70 5 5
In which, two troubled teens fall in love during a crazy summer adventure. -or- In which, Madelyn Fischer holds a secret bigger than her friend...