FUMES [2], jj maybank

By jir0u_

seasons 1-2 ALL THE WAY DOWN SCREAMIN' jj maybank x sam vernon kiara carrera x bailey perez book two to NICK... More

0. characters n info
1. MORNING LIGHT
2. THIS IS BEYOND BELIEF
3. IT'S A RACE AGAINST THE CLOCK
4. OH, IM ON FIRE
5. WISH YOU COULD HAVE WANTED IT A LITTLE BIT
6. THESE DREAMS, THEY'RE TAKING HOLD
7. IF ALL WE HAVE IS TIME
8. THEN WE'LL BE ALRIGHT
9. YOU'RE MY BEST FRIEND
10. HOPE YOU DON'T REGRET IT
11. I'M USING WHITE LIGHTERS TO SEE
12. DYING JUST TO FEEL ALIVE
13. IF I LEFT RIGHT NOW
14. ESCAPE IS WHAT I NEED
15. WATCHING MY YOUTH SLIP AWAY
16. WE'LL MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT
17. AND NOW I'M PARANOID
18. MY HEAD IS FILLED WITH PARASITES
19. WE'RE RUNNING ON FUMES
ACT II
20. LATELY I CAN'T FIND THE BEAT
21. THE DOG DAYS ARE OVER
22. HERE IN THE LAND OF REBEL POWERS
23. FEEL ALRIGHT
24. MISS ME WITH THAT BULLSHIT
25. I'M OFF ON THE ADVENTURE
26. WHAT'S BEEN HAPPENIN' IN YOUR WORLD?
27. 'CAUSE IT FEELS LIKE MURDER
28. ENJOY YOUR YOUTH
29. DEVIL'S ADVOCATE
30. THERE'S A BURNING IN MY BONES
31. 'CAUSE SOCIALLY SPEAKING, WE WERE THE SAME
32. GIVE THE BRUISES OUT LIKE GIFTS
33. YOU LEFT SOME HOLES IN THE PLOTLINE
34. HIT THE TONE, COCK IT BACK
35. SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT
36. AS IT WAS
38. ARE WE IN THE CLEAR YET?
39. AND WHEN YOU GO AWAY
40. PRONE TO BEING BLINDED
41. NO ONE'S GONNA CATCH US NOW
42. I'VE BEEN MOVING IN BACKWARDS DIRECTIONS
BOOK 3 IS OUT

37. THE FEELINGS START TO ROT

336 10 7
By jir0u_

    IT IS HOURS LATER when JJ finally puts the shovel down and the casket is covered up.

"I just don't get it. I mean, you guys saw the map. He hides his gold so no one finds it for 170 years. And then he sends a message to his son Robert to come here to his mother's grave, but the message never gets to him. Denmark wanted him to find the cross. I know we're in the right spot!" Pope paces and rants, "It just feels like—"

  "Like we missed something?" JJ says from the van.

My back is currently against the tree as the sun shines through. The North Carolina slight heat hits my skin. "Guys. Come here," JJ starts climbing the damn van and I get up to walk over to him. "Babe, what are you doing?" I block my eyes from the sun. "There he goes," John B whispers. Kie climbs the van right next to JJ. "Hey, what are y'all doing?" Bailey is now on the van as well. "Why do we need three people on the van?" I ask.

There's a hole in the tree—oh—like in the painting.

   "That looks like—"

  "The painting in the island room," Kie finishes. "You gonna put your hand in there?" I ask JJ. "It's worth a shot, right?" He responds. "If you wake up a squirrel family, that's your problem," Bailey throws her hands up. "Let's do it," John B says.

  JJ steps back, "Go for it," He tells Bailey and Kie. "No chance."

  "Go fuck your self, JJ."

  "You do it!" Sarah tells JJ. "Sorry, I went into the storm drain so...." Kie makes a point. "She did go into the storm drain," Pope reiterates. JJ rolls his eyes, "What did Bailey do?"

  "Patched up your girlfriend," She throws her hands on her hips. "Good point, Bails," I say. "Yeah. No, I'm gonna do it. It's just...."

  Kie whispers, "He's scared."

  "Definitely," I nod. "I'm not scared, dude."

  "You seem scared," Bailey teases him. JJ hesitates to put his hand in the hole but he eventually just shoves his hand in. I watch in fear and curiosity as my boyfriend keeps his hands in the hole. 

  "There's something in here," JJ shoves his hands further in. "What is it, JJ?" I ask and lean up against the van. "Wait." A scream erupts from JJ. My heart drops. I panic and climb up the van, "Babe?" Everyone starts shouting as he screams and Kie and I grab JJ to try and get him out. "JJ!" I tug on his jacket as he struggles. My palms are sweaty as my heart rate increases and JJ's screams fill my head.

   All the sudden, he starts laughing. JJ starts laughing. "What the hell?" I let go of his coat. "Oh, you asshole," Pope curses at him. He chuckles and smiles, "Oh, man! I got all of you on that one!"

  "You're such an ass, JJ!" Bailey pushes him. "Maybank, what is wrong with you?" I use his last name against him and everyone erupts into ohhhs. "You're in trouble," Sarah whispers.

"Okay. I'm sorry, babe, but, there's actually something in here," JJ pulls out a gold cylinder. "Let me see it," Pope reaches for it. JJ passes it to him and looks at me and mouthes sorry. I roll my eyes and jump off the van with John B's help to see what it is. "HMS Royal Merchant!" Pope reads out. JJ jumps off as well and grabs it from Pope's hand. He opens it up, "Give it to the captain. Here we go. It's a spyglass," He puts it up to his eyes but John B moves it from his face quickly. I look over it and something at the end of it catches my eyes, "Yo, there's something on the ends."

   "An inscription right there. Look at that shit," The boys crowd around the tool. "What does it say?" JJ asks. "You've come this far. Do not falter. The cross is on the Freedman's altar," Pope reads out.

  The church! It's the church. Like I mentioned days ago.

A wave of excitement hits me. I shouldn't be excited though but like, Piper would want me to be excited. If she knew what the hell was going on. "Freedman's altar. The cross is at the church!" Pope finally puts it together. "I said this days ago!" I clap. "What are we doing here, guys?" Bailey jumps off the van next to me. JJ and Pope do the woogity thing as I get into the van. "You okay?" Sarah asks me. "I'm—oddly, excited," I tell her. "I think Piper would want you to be," Sarah confirms my theory. I smile at her and settle in my seat.

     We're almost back to the scary road. I brace myself again mentally. "Crap, the tide!" John B slows down. I look out the window. Fuck, the tide is so high. "Oh, this doesn't look good," Pope groans. "How deep is that?" Kie asks. "Well, deep enough that the road is gone," Bailey answers.

   John B breaks hard and we all go forward. "Tide rose a little faster than I thought it would."

  I lean over to JJ's seat, "Y'think?"

  "Uh, John B, how high are the spark plugs?" JJ asks. John B doesn't say anything for a second and I feel the panic in my body start to rise. "John B?" I say his name. "They're good. We're fine," He doesn't look so sure. Pope and I look at each other. "How high are they?" We ask. "Oh, um...Uh, just above the tail light,"John B leans out the window.

  "Okay, so, that's like what, three feet?" Pope looks at all of us and I nod my head. "That's three feet, yeah," JJ confirms. I stare at the water filled road in front of us. We're so fucked. "It can't be three feet deep," Kie says. "It can. It really can," I sigh and slump back onto the floor.

  "It's not—so, what's the problem?" John B is really trying to convince himself here. "Not a problem. No, we're good. We're good. She'll make it," JJ is trying to convince himself as well. None of this is going right. When does it ever? Now I'm stuck in a forest because we're gonna, like, sink to death or something. I can't even look at my own hands without feeling crazy. "Ladies and gentlemen, fasten your seatbelts. Hold on to something. We're going into hyperdrive."

  "Sam," Bailey smacks me and I open my eyes, "Get up off the floor." Sarah grabs my arm and Kie grabs the other one. I groan, "Let John B's driving kill me," They pull me into the seat in between them. As much as I want to die right now, I still grab onto Sarah and brace for impact. "Three, two, one," JJ counts down. The vans wheels struggle in the dirt. "Okay!"

   "Guys!" I yell. After a bit of struggling, the van moves forward and splashes right into the water. The water hits the windows as we all yell at John B to go faster. The van is slipping and sliding through the water as Sarah's grip gets tighter around my arm. "Speed is your friend," JJ keeps repeating. He speeds up the van and I can see the clear road. Cheers erupt but then the van slips to the side and just—stops. "No, no, no, no, no," John B panics.

  "I think we miscalculated."

  I let go of Sarah and drop my head. I'm so frustrated. I'm so tired. I just want one fucking thing to go right. I want to scream. I can scream.

    The scream crawls up my throat but comes out more of a loud groan mixed with a scream. Whatever conversation they were having has stopped as all eyes are on me when I look up and move hair from my face. My eyes go right to JJ and his worried expression. "Okay, that was—completely understandable," JJ nods.

  "Let's get some air, yeah, yup," John B gets out of the van and the others follow him. "Maybe we can walk from here—"

  "And leave The Twinkie? The tides coming in!" John B says as my legs hit the dirt. "So, what are we supposed to do?" Sarah says. Everyone turns towards me when I move to be next to JJ but they don't say anything. I'm sure my scream was something they all wanna do right now. I lean my tired head on JJ's back, "We can't stay here, guys," My words are muffled but still loud enough for them to hear me.

The crickets fill the short time of silence.

  "I can take my dad's truck," Kie says. I lift my head from JJ's back and look at her, "I don't think that's a good idea given your—parent situation."

   "How much worse can it get, you know?" Kie presses her lips together. "No, no," Bailey walks over to Kie, "They could send you away, Kie!"

  "I won't let it happen. We need to get outta here. No one else has a pick up truck," Kie rests a hand on Bailey's shoulder. Concern is obvious in Bailey's face.

  "You're not gonna not do it. Just—don't get caught," Bailey's hand goes to Kie's cheek and for a second I think the two forget there's others around, including Pope. Kie doesn't reject the affection like she would've Pope. "I won't. I'm smart, I got this!" She reassures Bailey which I know won't help. "Um...okay, well, we need something to pull her with. There's a winch at the Chateau," JJ tries to change the subject.

I want to get out of this area. My scream from earlier only caused a forming headache. "That's, like, two miles," JJ figures out. "That's a good idea, JJ," I pat his back. "Alright, if we're gonna do it, let's go. Tides coming in. Twinkies going underwater," John B tells us. "You comin', sunshine?" JJ asks me. "Yeah, double time it y'all. We gotta move. Long walk." We start walking through the dirt and trees and to The Chateau.

    I turn once we're far enough from the group. "So, what the hell was that, Kie?" I refer to the affection that just happened. "Okay, I knew y'all got together again but are you guys like together?" JJ asks and Kie scoffs. "I don't know, okay? I just hope Pope isn't yelling at her right now," Kie says.

  "He's definitely shooting daggers into her right now," I respond with.

  We finally reach the end of the area where Angel Oak is so that means we're close to Kie's house now. "So, you two okay?" Kie asks the question so quietly I'm surprised JJ and I hear her. The immediate idea of talking about it causes a lump in my throat. Now I can't talk about it so I look to JJ to talk about it. He scratches behind his ear, "It just—it was a Cameron, right? It had to be."

  I force out, "Yeah. Let's not discuss it anymore please." The two nod as we prepare to take Kie's dad's truck.

When we get to Kie's house, we duck behind the truck. "He's not in there, we're good," JJ whispers. We quickly run to the fence in front and hide behind it. "You sure you wanna do this, Kie?" I quietly ask. "Yeah, it's a little Dad Theft Auto," I'm sure the joke was it try to make me giggle but I can't find the need to do so. "No," Kie answers. "Oh."

  JJ opens the gate and rushes Kie inside, leaving us to hide by the fence. JJ turns towards me, "You okay?" He knits his eyebrows together. "You know you saw her too, right?" I tell him.

  "Stop doin' that. Acting like you don't have to be in pain and shit," I jerk my head at him, "Are you okay?"

The lump comes back and I swallow it. "I don't think I need to be sobbing outside her house. But, no, I'm not okay and I'm willing to admit that for the first time in a while. I don't need a therapy session outside Kie's house." JJ shakes his head, "I love you, y'know that, right?" I appreciate it but my eyes still roll, "I love you too. But, come on. Not the time, dumbass."

    I turn away but I see the smile forming on JJ's face and then I see Kie running down the stairs. JJ opens the gate, "Hey." Kie tosses him the keys and we quickly get in the truck. JJ starts the car and I cringe at the loud engine. He quickly drives to the Chateau.

"This'll only take a sec. I think it's in the surf shack. Yeah, it's in the surf shack. I'll be right back," He stops the truck and hops out, "Be right out!" He starts to run to the surf shack. JJ jumps in the air and I watch as he falls to the ground. Right into the dirt. My jaw drops slightly and Kie and I both let out a giggle. "That's what makes you laugh? Your boyfriend falling?" Kie giggles again. "It was funny," My smile falls as quickly as it appeared.

"Bailey is more worried about you than she is herself," Kie sends me a sympathetic look. I shift uncomfortably in my seat, "That's how she was when we were—uh—screw-in' around." I sometimes forget that Bailey and I started talking because we hooked up with each other after my breakup. She's my best friend now. I think that's how it always was supposed to be anyway. "You think Pope hates me?" Kie nervously fiddles with the ends of her jacket.

"No. He'll be mad but—he cares about you too much to stop talking to you," I lean against the window, "Piper was in love with me, y'know? She—She told me." I had only told JJ that. Not even Sarah and here I am telling Kie. She nods slowly, "You're okay. It wasn't your fault. It wasn't Piper's either."

Silence fills the truck and I hate how loud my head is.

  "He said it would be quick. I can literally see where it is in my head," I lean forward and beep the horn. "JJ!" Both Kie and I call out. Kie gets out to go to the driver's seat and I lean my body out of my window.

Out of the corner of my eye I see my blonde boy and—Luke? "What the fuck?" I yell and get out of the car. "No, immediately, no," Kie gets out as well. "Babe, what is this?" My heart fills with even more hate the closer Luke Maybank gets to Kie and I. "Just get in the truck," He orders his dad and puts the winch in the truck bed.

Kie and I glance at each other and step forward. "I'm sorry, The Twinkie is drowning right now, JJ!" Kie yells. "What the hell happened? Why is he in the truck? I don't want him in a truck with any of us!" I speed up so that I'm in front of JJ. Kie and I both yell at him in confusion. "Listen to me. Listen to me," He grabs the both of us but keeps his eyes on me, "I need to get into the marina at the Island Club. There's a boat there he can take. You got the sticker on the truck. Twenty minutes. All I need," He lets go of us.

   I clench my jaw and shake my head. "The Twinkie is gonna be gone in 20 minutes!" Kie yells.

     I walk over to JJ before he can get in the truck, "Why are we helping him? After what happened last night—being near someone this shitty is the last thing either of us need!" I point directly at Luke who is watching the whole thing, "He doesn't deserve help!" I yell. "I know, Kie! I know, Sam!" JJ leans on the hood, clearly frustrated. "Leave him and we can come back!" Kie yells from the other side of the hood. JJ smacks the truck and I jump slightly, "The cops are after him!" I glare at JJ. This is a risk we can't afford to fucking take.

The Twinkie and the group are more important.

  "If I do this now, maybe I will never have to do it again." He walks away and into the truck. Kie and I look towards each other. "You okay with him back there with you?" Kie asks. My eyes shift to Luke and then back to Kie, "Wouldn't be the first time I beat up an old man. Let's just get it over with." My feet carry me to the back door and I get in next to Luke.

   "You like runnin' your mouth—"

   "And you like hitting your kid. Don't talk to me. Don't look at me. The same rules apply to Kie. I'll knock you out," I sarcastically smile and lean my head against the window. I move my body as far as I can from the piece of shit. "I can see why you like her—"

  "Shut it!" JJ cuts him off before he can finish the gross sentence. We make eye contact in the windshield mirror. He snakes his hand around the seat and I reach for it, rubbing circles into the back of his hand as Kie starts the truck.

  The whole ride is hell. No one dares to talk except Luke fucking Maybank.

  "Hey, pull up to Home Foods here. I'm gonna need provisions," Luke has the nerve to order us. Kie listens nonetheless and pulls into the store. "Sunshine, come with me."

  "Gladly," I glare at Luke before exiting the truck. "Crackers and baked beans and tuna, alright? And some salt and pepper," Luke calls out the window. I turn on my heel, "This isn't a fucking diner—"

  "No, let's go," JJ grabs me by the shoulders and drags me into the store.

     The bell rings when we get in the store. People rush around in the small area to grab their food. "Babe, do you realize how ridiculous this is? The Twinkie is drowning and Piper is—is dead. Luke Maybank is the least of our worries!" I try to tell him.

    JJ knows exactly where to go, he's gotten his dad off the island plenty of times. I practically jog after him, "J! J!" He finally stops in front of the crackers and I grab his coat. "What? What do you want?" His tone surprises me so much that I let go of him. My face drops and he seems to notice because his head drops. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, let's just get him this shit so he can disappear again," JJ grabs whatever crackers are in front of us.

   "You're using anger to hide again," My voice is quieter now as we quickly walk over to the beans. "I am angry, okay? I'm angry that I have to do this shit as his kid. I'm angry that I don't even have a fucking dad!" He throws the crackers against the cans of beans and they all crack and earn us some stares as well. I'm not scared of JJ. He's not gonna hurt me. I think he's more scared of that than I am.

   "Well, we're gonna need more crackers. I understand. You know I understand. But, you can't keep doing this in hopes he won't come back. If he can commit a crime, he can get off the island by himself," I grab some beans and hand them to JJ who practically has steam coming off of him. "Hurry up, please," JJ rushes out of the aisle and I quietly follow him around the store and to the checkout.

  "He's a terrible father. I would know," I look up at him and we catch eye contact. We start to leave the store, the bell rings above us as we reach outside again. "I'm fully aware, sunshine. That's why I want him gone," He hands me a paper bag and I sigh. I guess in his eyes—this is the better solution. JJ is more so helping himself rather than his dad.

     I dread each step because with each step, JJ is closer to this piece of shit. "Hey!" JJ whistles and passes his dad the beer. He takes the bag from my hands and puts it in the truck bed. "Same rules still apply," I say as I get in next to him. "Let's get this over with, yeah?" Kie says. "Yeah."

  They really didn't lie when they said you can feel someone's eyes burrowing into you. Luke and I never got a proper introduction, why would we need one? JJ until this point has made me avoid his dad. I've met him 3 times before this in the 5 years I've known JJ. It's not like I need to get to know him. He's a fuck up. I know that. I'm surprised he even knows JJ and I are dating.

We get to the marina slower than I would've liked. JJ stomps out of the truck. Luke leans forwards towards Kie and I get ready for something, "Tell your mom I said hi, you too Sam."

  "Shut the fuck—"

  "Shut up!" JJ yells at his dad by the shoulder. "Make it quick, okay?" Kie tells JJ. If looks could kill, Luke would be dead right now with how I'm staring at him. "Hey, Luke," Kie calls out to him and I furrow my eyebrows in confusion. When he turns around, Kie flips him off and I can't help the smile on my face. I force myself to laugh just to piss Luke off more. I can see the anger in his eyes but JJ pushes him away. "What the hell happened while we were gone?" I lean forward with curiosity. "He likes to run his mouth about my family—and—you. Shit doesn't fly," Kie turns to me.

  For some reason, Kie defending me almost brings a tear to my eye. It's not like I didn't expect it. "Should I ask what he said about me?"

  "Bullshit. All bullshit. You're a good person, you know that, right?" Kie looks at me so sincerely that the tears almost come down. Kie and I haven't had a lot of genuine moments in the last year since the Rafe thing. It's almost like being mean to each other was the only way our friendship worked after that. "I don't think I have told you that I love you in a long time, Kie."

Her face softens, "You haven't. I love you too. Don't let whatever bullshit you think he said fill your head. It's truly the last thing you need right now," She leans forwards and places a kiss on my forehead, something we used to do before we nearly fell apart. I sniffle,"We should check on JJ."

  "Yeah, come on," Kie and I get out and walk up the dock while Luke drives away. The redness from crying is obvious when I get closer to JJ. I don't say anything but I put a hand on his cheek and bring him in for a hug. His pine scent mixed with weed overtaking my lungs before I pull away to wipe tears from his face. He wraps an arm around one of my shoulders and one of Kie's, "My chicas. Let's go save the Twinkie, huh?" I place my hand on top of his. We make our way down the dock and to the truck. "And back to my girlfriend," Kie says, almost too fast for me to process. JJ and I freeze in our tracks before getting in the truck. "Gays, always keepin' secrets," I pretend to be disappointed in Kie. I find it within myself to make a joke about Piper liking me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

108K 4.3K 46
I've said too much, in and out of wanting us. JJ MAYBANK / FEM!OC KIARA CARRERA / FEM!OC OBX SEASON 2 FIRST DRAFT โธป 05/08/21 EDITED โธป 04/21/23 โ†’ 03/0...
22K 1.2K 37
And you had to go, I know, I know, I know. JJ MAYBANK / FEM!OC KIARA CARRERA / FEM!OC OBX SEASON 3 03/04/24 โ†’ 05/28/24
2.9K 56 10
Kiara Carrera, JJ Maybank, two teenagers who hate each other but come together when a certain Kiara needs help winning Rafe Cameron over.