Siren's Call

By Rubberduckz84

(The Others Series/Twilight Fanfic) It's been six years since the vampires converged on Forks to help the Cul... More

Summary
Restless as the Sea
Fate's Call
Swept Away
A Ship Blown from its Mooring
Batten Down the Hatches
Get Underway
Give Wide Berth
On Board
In Deep Water
In the Doldrums
In the Offing
All at Sea
Sink or Swim
Plain Sailing
Keel Over
Between the Devil & the Deep Blue Sea
Shipeshape and Bristol Fashion
Rock the Boat
Make Waves
The Cut of One's Jib
Sent Up the Pole
Through Thick and Thin
Show Your True Colors
Hunky Dory
A Shot Across the Bow
On the Right Tack
All Hands on Deck
Make Up Leeway
Turn the Corner

Cut and Run

415 17 0
By Rubberduckz84

Embry tried to concentrate on the leg of the rocking chair he was carving but ended up sitting back on a stool and tossing his tools across the table in frustration. Running his fingers through his hair, his eyes drifted to the wall behind his workspace and found the latest addition. It was a photo of him and Freja on the beach that Quil had snapped when they were unaware one afternoon while they were all hanging out. He was gazing down at her with a grin while her head was tossed back in laughter. Automatically, his heart clenched and he felt the ever present pain in his chest increase.

It had been one month since Freja left.

While he was grateful she had survived The Change, he was torn with worry. Worry about where she was. If she was safe. If she was coming back.

He had stayed a few more days with her grandparents, thinking maybe she would come back right away. When it became clear that it wouldn't be that quick - that easy - they had encouraged him to go back home. Try to get back into his daily schedule. Perhaps it would help distract him. He knew they were doing the same thing. But every night, he would go over and the three of them would sit on the deck or the beach for hours, waiting. Hoping.

His eyes drifted back to the rocking chair. While his thoughts were constantly drawn to Freja, he had managed to get a lot of work done on it and he found it was nearly finished with all but the legs now covered in intricate carvings. She had been his inspiration and the wood looked as though it was the rolling sea. He only hoped she would be back soon to see it. So that he could give it to her.

"Please tell me you're not destroying my workshop," he heard Gramps say. Embry looked over, seeing the old man walking towards him.

He pushed up from the stool, dusting wood chips off himself.

"Not today," Embry said with a sigh. Gramps came to a stop in front of the table, bending down to study the pieces of the chair laying there.

"This... this is a work of art, Embry," he said, glancing up at him. "It's for her, isn't it?" Embry nodded.

"I just... keep thinking that maybe if I finish it... she'll come back," he said, his voice soft. Gramps sighed and straightened up before turning to him.

"You have to believe that your connection is strong enough," he said. "It'll bring her back. Just like the pain you're going through, she feels it too. She'll come back."

Embry didn't reply. He heard the same thing every day. From Quil and Jacob. The others in the packs. Freja's grandparents. But as more days passed, he was starting to think that maybe they were all wrong. That because Freja had embraced the other part of her, that perhaps the imprint had disappeared. But even then, he could still feel a small connection with her, reminding him that it was still there.

"Just because it's there... doesn't mean that she'll choose it," Embry said, his eyes fixed on the chair. "They have a choice."

His thoughts returned to that day in the ocean, when he held Freja in his arms one last time. He had told her that he loved her. She hadn't said it back. She only kissed him and then left.

"Her grandparents, they always said that... the call of the ocean was strong. Even they still feel it though they can't go... maybe it's stronger than her... affections for me," Embry said.

He looked over at Gramps, fighting to control his emotions. But a month of being separated from Freja was wearing him down.

The old man reached out and pulled Embry into a hug, patting his back.

"I know there's not a lot that any of us can say to make you feel better, but... trust her, Embry," he said. Embry nodded and stepped back, looking at the chair again. "Why don't you take the rest of the day off. Go do something with Quil and Jacob."

Embry looked over at him, frowning.

"But the shop-"

"I've run this shop just fine on my own for years before you and Quil. It's not going to fall apart just because I give you two the afternoon off," Gramps said, smiling. "Get out of here. You're depressing the customers." Embry smiled slightly.

"Thanks, Gramps," he said.

He then reached over for his coat and keys then walked out to the front of the shop where Quil was already waiting.

"So... what do you want to do?" Quil asked. "Actually nope. Nevermind. I was just asking to be nice. We already have plans." Embry frowned, but followed him out of the shop.

He got into his truck and followed Quil, knowing right away where he was taking him. When they pulled into the parking lot near First Beach, Jacob's car was already there and he could see him down on the beach, getting a bonfire started even though they didn't really need the extra warmth despite the winter chill.

He had to appreciate his best friends. Even though they were likely tired of it, they both knew that he couldn't stand to be far from the ocean in the hopes that that would be the day Freja returned. He was starting to understand why her grandparents - why she - enjoyed it so much. It was starting to have a calming effect on him as well. He had also developed a newfound appreciation for its wild beauty.

"Was wondering when you two were going to show up," Jacob said, smiling as Embry and Quil made it to the bonfire. He pointed his thumb over at a cooler. "Fully stocked."

Embry walked over and sat on a log as Quil went over to the cooler and pulled out two beers, tossing one to him and then another to Jacob. He stared at the flames a moment before his eyes were drawn towards the ocean.

"Is this an intervention?" he asked, looking over at Quil and Jacob. "If it is, you guys kind of suck at it by bringing me here."

"Not an intervention. And we both knew you would be thinking about the beach no matter where we took you. Figured it was better for all of us," Quil said. "And we knew there was no way to fully distract you, so..."

Embry nodded slowly as he took a drink and then glanced out at the ocean.

"She'll come back," Jacob said. Embry looked over at him, finding his expression solemn, but yet conviction in his eyes. "She accepted the imprint. She'll come back."

"We don't know that," Embry said, back to staring at the ocean.

"Well, that defeatist attitude isn't going to help," Quil said. Embry shot him a dark look, but at the same time, he knew Quil was right.

"Sorry... just... the longer she's gone..." he stopped speaking, unsure he wanted to finish that sentence.

"Hey, I get it. Even though Claire's only in Seattle, it's killing me," Quil said. "I can only imagine what it's like for you."

Despite his decision to follow Claire, Quil had put his plans to move over the winter break on hold, saying Embry needed him more. While Embry appreciated it, he couldn't help but feel guilty. Just because his life was in limbo didn't mean that Quil's should be too.

Embry looked down at the can in his hands, his brow furrowed as he thought how best to describe what he was feeling.

"It's like... constant pain," he finally said, his eyes still fixed on the can. "I've started getting used to it, but... it's always there. And then when I think about her... it spikes. Like... someone is running a stake through my heart."

He looked up at his best friends, catching Quil's slight smile as he glanced over at Jacob. He hadn't intended to make any sort of vampire joke, but really, it was the best way to describe it.

"And the fact that... I don't know where she is... how far away she is... just makes it worse," Embry continued. "I don't know if she's in trouble or hurt. If she's somewhere safe. Anything."

"Her grandparents don't have any way to communicate with her?" Quil asked. Embry snorted.

"Not like she can carry a cellphone with her underwater," he replied dryly.

"I know, but... surely they have ways or something," Quil replied. "Like... we have our pack telepathy. Maybe Havsfru have something. Like Aquaman. Maybe they can talk to the fish?"

Embry snorted at the suggestion, but at the same time he realized he didn't know if that was true or not. But it didn't matter.

"Even if they did, they couldn't use it. They've been stripped of their abilities," Embry said. "I told you that."

"Right," Quil said, frowning. "Because of her parents... and you're not the least bit worried that if she does come back... that something like that..."

Embry frowned at him. There was no doubt in his mind. Freja would never hurt him - intentionally or unintentionally. She hadn't affected him the way she was supposed to affect humans - whether it was because of the imprint or his wolf side remained to be seen.

"No," he said firmly. "I've heard her sing and it didn't make me addicted or... want to do anything." He looked back down at his beer. "If anything, well, when she sang... I saw what she was thinking... But it wasn't like we could test it. Her grandmother was adamant that she not sing or play music around me or anyone until after..."

A heavy silence fell over the three as Embry looked out to the ocean again. Out of the corner of his eye, he could see Quil turn to Jacob and give him a look. The two had a bit of a silent back and forth before Embry sighed and looked over at them fully.

"What?" he asked. Both Quil and Jacob looked at him, their eyes wide. "Something you want to say?"

"To be honest... we're not completely sure what to say," Quil admitted, scratching the back of his neck. "Look... you're our brother and we want to be here for you and help, but this is..."

"Completely out of our element," Jacob said, picking up where Quil trailed off. "I mean, Carlisle has been looking into everything, but even he's stumped."

"Probably because they're really good at hiding," Embry said with a snort before taking another drink. "I mean, none of us had any idea that anything like them existed until I imprinted on Freja. And even her grandparents are a bit clueless. They've never experienced a half-Havsfru before..." He chuckled to himself as he looked down at the beer can. "Don't even know if we're compatible."

"What do you mean? Of course, you're compatible. That was obvious," Quil said.

Embry looked up at him, his eyebrows raised. Quil gave him a quizzical look, then turned to Jacob, who had a look of understanding on his face.

"We're literally two different species, Quil," Embry said deliberately.

It was then that Quil seemed to understand where Embry was going with the statement, his eyes widening.

"Wait... okay," he said, obviously a bit embarrassed. "Why on earth are you thinking about that? I mean, we're too young for kids and I thought neither of you were really thinking about marriage..."

Embry sighed, looking back down at his beer.

"Truthfully, I hadn't given it much thought until that day. After you made your comment about half-mermaid, half-wolf babies. I, uh, didn't think I could ask her grandparents so I spoke with Carlisle... I was worried that... someday if we wanted kids... if it would be possible. We know Havsfru and humans work, but I'm still... something else," Embry admitted, now feeling slightly embarrassed to be discussing this.

He hadn't even brought it up with Freja. Well, couldn't before - he really hadn't thought about it until Quil's comment. But seeing her go through The Change, it made him realize that there was so much about her that even her grandparents didn't understand. Things that could affect their future together. So while she was gone, he had taken to reading whatever he could on all the mermaid lore from around the world in the hopes that maybe he could understand it more. Had even gone out to the Cullens to talk with Carlisle a couple times about what he had found from his week of looking out for Freja. And all it had gotten him was a big fat question mark and a million more questions.

The only hope was what they understood about the imprint - that part of it had to do with choosing the most suitable mate. So even if they didn't know much about Freja, there was at least that.

"Hey, well... too early to worry about that," Quil said, infusing his voice with a bit of cheer. "I mean, at least move in together first."

Embry looked up at him, his eyes widening. Of course. With everything going on, he hadn't thought about that. But it did make sense. And he had been thinking about moving out of his mom's house. Perhaps when Freja got back - because despite his worry he had to keep believing that she would - they could discuss getting a place of their own. Somewhere in between her grandparents' place and La Push, maybe. Definitely near the ocean.

"Great, he's going to go out and buy a house tomorrow," Jacob joked. Embry chuckled and shook his head.

"Nah. Want to make sure she's on board before I do anything," he replied. He then looked out at the ocean again.

"Good to see you're not so depressed," Quil said.

"Like everyone keeps telling me... gotta have hope, right?"

After the three friends had sat around drinking and joking for a few hours, Embry assured Quil and Jacob that he was fine - he just wanted to be alone for a bit. So they packed up and headed to their cars while Embry found himself wandering down the coast away from First Beach. He knew where his feet were taking him. And despite it being later than he usually showed up, he was certain her grandparents were still expecting him.

It would have been faster to drive there, but he wanted to walk. To stay close to the ocean.

When he reached the cliffs, he made his way up and stopped at the top a moment, staring out. Whenever he came here, he always felt closer to Freja. It was her spot. Where she came to read or just to think. Occasionally dive into the water below.

He closed his eyes and breathed deeply, getting a hint of her scent. Even though they had been apart for a month, he would never forget her scent. All the worry and fear seemed to settle in his mind slightly as he stood there. Embry opened his eyes and looked out at the waves, feeling deep in his bones that she would come back.

And then they could move on with their lives without the fear that she would die. That she would hurt him. He wasn't completely sure what that life would look like, but he was eager to get started.

After standing there about 10 minutes, Embry started down the trail on the other side, soon coming back to the beach and continuing on. He could see the lights from her grandparents' house and as he got closer, he could make them out. They were sitting on the back deck, both of them bundled up in coats and looking out to the ocean, though once they noticed him coming, he saw her grandmother get up and walk into the house.

She had completely lost her antagonism for him during the week Freja was sick. And in the month since she had left, the old woman seemed to have fully accepted him into their family, often tutting over him and commenting on how he needed to eat more despite the fact that his wolf metabolism had him eating far more than the average person.

"We were wondering what was keeping you," Oscar said as Embry made his way up the stairs.

"Quil and Jacob. Trying to cheer me up a bit," Embry said with a smile as the old man stood and hugged him.

"Have a seat. Astrid just went to heat up some dinner for you. She made gryta. Freja's favorite," he said.

Embry moved to sit down, his eyes drifting back out to the ocean.

"I feel it. Any day now. She will come back," Oscar said, his voice full of optimism.

"I'm sure she will," Embry said. "I mean... she has us. She knows we're waiting here for her..."

"Ah, but you forget how strong the call can be," Astrid said, returning to the deck with a large bowl and spoon. She sat it down in front of Embry and then took her seat, reaching for a mug of what he knew was likely mulled wine.

Oscar shot her a look, though Embry looked at her with more curiosity than anything.

"You think she won't come back?" he asked, not sure why Astrid would be pessimistic about this.

The old woman stared at her mug a moment and then looked to the ocean, a longing filling her eyes as they swirled in gray.

"I want her to come back. But all she's ever known as been here - Forks. I cannot blame her if she chooses to see the world outside of this place. To be around our kind. To experience our true form," she said. "Not a day goes by when I don't miss it. Being beneath the waves..."

Oscar reached over and took her hand, causing Astrid to look over at him. His expression was full of warmth and understanding as her eyes teared up a bit.

"I understand as well," he said softly.

Embry looked down at the bowl, for once in his life since he first phased not feeling hungry, though the stew was most definitely appetizing.

"I just think... we should be prepared. I am not saying she won't come back. Just that... it could be a long time," Astrid said softly. Embry looked over, finding that she was staring at him.

Though she was now silent, he understood what she was trying to convey. That they would need to be patient. Freja may need more time in the ocean to understand this new side of herself. But it didn't necessarily mean that she would forget them.

"Right... patient," Embry said, reaching for the spoon and taking a large bite of the stew.

He didn't want to think about how long it might take for Freja to come back - or that she might not come back at all. He still felt strongly that she would. But Astrid was right. They didn't know when that could be. She could be gone months or even years. And really, he couldn't blame her for wanting to see and experience it all.

He slowly chewed and then swallowed the stew, feeling it settle warmly in his stomach. But then he suddenly jumped, a jolt of something coursing through his body then disappearing.

"Is something wrong with the stew?" Astrid asked, her brow furrowed.

"No," Embry said, now staring at his hands as he wondered what it was. "I'm not sure-"

There. Again. But this time stronger. He then looked up and closed his eyes as he breathed deeply. It was faint, but he swore he smelled Freja's scent. And it wasn't coming from the house.

His eyes flew open as he looked to the ocean. Even with his eyesight, it was difficult to see too far between the twilight and the waves, but he swore he saw the flip of a tail. Hope began to surge through him as he slowly turned and faced the water, his eyes straining to see.

"What is it?" Oscar asked, hope filling his voice.

"I think..."

Embry's eyes widened as he saw it again, this time clearly. The glint of hair so blonde it was practically white. Without another word, he bolted down the stairs and raced across the beach, diving into the water even though it was cold. He saw her surface again and then dive back below the waves.

It was Freja. She had come back.

Embry finally came to a stop, knowing that even though he wanted to, if he went further, he'd be over his head. Instead he remained still, waiting for her to reach him, almost holding his breath.

Without warning, Freja surged up through the surface, her arms flying around Embry's neck, nearly knocking him backwards into the water. Part of him thought maybe he was dreaming. She was back and in his arms. But the cold water and the frigid temperature of her body were enough to remind him that this was real and he wasn't asleep. She was really here, her long tail spread out behind her, keeping the both of them upright despite the waves attempting to topple them over.

"You came back," he said.

Freja chuckled as she pulled back from him, the scales coating her body starting to merge together and return to her normal skin color.

"You didn't honestly think I could stay away from you, did you?" she asked, a twinkle in her silver eyes, though they were starting to swirl with patches of green and blue.

All he could do was grin down at her, completely speechless. Freja then kissed him, causing jolts of electricity to shoot through his body. But far sooner than he wanted, she pulled away again.

"I had to tell you... I love you, too, Embry..."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.7K 446 14
๐—ฅ๐—ฎ๐—บ๐—ฒฬ (in Balinese). "Something that is chaotic and beautiful at the same time." Love is beautiful but sometimes it's painful too. You never know...
1M 20K 54
After Ariana moves to Forks with her sister Bella she can't help but notice about the weird things that happen around her and in her life. She meets...
15.3K 886 22
๐ผ ๐‘ค๐‘Ž๐‘ก๐‘๐˜ฉ๐‘’๐‘‘ ๐‘ฆ๐‘œ๐‘ข ๐‘๐‘ข๐‘Ÿ๐‘› ๐‘Ž๐‘ค๐‘Ž๐‘ฆ ๐‘Ž๐‘›๐‘‘ ๐‘ ๐‘œ๐‘š๐‘’๐˜ฉ๐‘œ๐‘ค ๐‘–๐‘ก ๐‘š๐‘œ๐‘ฃ๐‘’๐‘‘ ๐‘š๐‘’ WHEN CARTER STEELE MOVES BACK TO FORKS TO LIVE WITH HER A...
381 6 5
Because---- "Because nobody's ever loved anybody as much as I love you... I will always love and protect you Aiyana" Aiyana is the little twin siste...