Siren's Call

By Rubberduckz84

(The Others Series/Twilight Fanfic) It's been six years since the vampires converged on Forks to help the Cul... More

Summary
Restless as the Sea
Swept Away
A Ship Blown from its Mooring
Batten Down the Hatches
Get Underway
Give Wide Berth
On Board
In Deep Water
In the Doldrums
In the Offing
All at Sea
Sink or Swim
Plain Sailing
Keel Over
Between the Devil & the Deep Blue Sea
Cut and Run
Shipeshape and Bristol Fashion
Rock the Boat
Make Waves
The Cut of One's Jib
Sent Up the Pole
Through Thick and Thin
Show Your True Colors
Hunky Dory
A Shot Across the Bow
On the Right Tack
All Hands on Deck
Make Up Leeway
Turn the Corner

Fate's Call

1.2K 32 1
By Rubberduckz84

The workshop was empty as the shop had long ago closed, but Embry was still there working on a rocking chair. It was a labor of love - he had been working on it off and on for a few months now, always finding something that needed to be improved or changed, often taking it apart and putting it back together. Or something else to add. It was the first time he had taken on such a project and wasn't even sure why he felt inclined to make a rocking chair. He wasn't even sure if he planned to sell it. Everytime he looked at it and thought about someone buying it, his heart clenched as though he couldn't stand to let it go.

But then again, he knew it was slightly ridiculous of him to be attached to a piece of furniture. When it was finished, it would go out with all the other pieces and be sold. Probably to some couple expecting a baby.

Music played softly in the background as he sanded down one of the arms. His eyes drifted over it, thinking that something was missing. Perhaps it needed a carving. Yea, that's what was missing. The top of the chair would be a good spot. But what to carve?

His mind drifted back a couple days ago in Forks, when he had smelled the ocean. Perhaps some sort of seascape would be fitting. Something with the rolling waves. Wait? Where did that come from? Even though he was sure that Quil had been right and he smelled some sort of random fisherman, over the past couple of days, he found that he couldn't get the scent out of his mind.

And something inside him was yearning to find it again. Felt as though he needed to. He had been antsier than usual, though Embry was unsure just why. He wasn't sure if it was just how he had been lately, or if it meant something else. Something more.

"Embry, you still here, son?"

Embry stopped and straightened up, watching as Quil Ateara III walked back into the workshop, a warm smile on his weathered face as he took in the chair.

"Figured I'd find you back here. Still not finished?" he asked, stepping up to closely inspect the rocking chair. Embry shook his head, studying it as well.

"It's missing something. Thinking it needs a carving," he said. The old man nodded in agreement.

"It's turning out well, though," the older man said, straightening up to look over at him. Embry just shrugged. "Rocking chairs are hard to get the balance right, but you seem to have gotten that down well."

It was hardly a work of art, in Embry's mind. While Gramps would often compliment Embry on his work - and he took each compliment with pride - he still felt like it was more a hobby than anything. Working at the shop just afforded him more time and access to the tools he needed as the older Ateara taught him everything he knew about making and repairing furniture. Embry felt he was still nowhere near Gramps' level. Maybe he could be someday. Maybe he could be happy doing this for the rest of his life.

Part of him thought that wouldn't be so bad.

"I'm serious, Embry. You have a real talent for this. That bench you made? Sold it for a good price today," Gramps continued. "They seemed real happy with it."

Embry glanced at him and couldn't help but smile slightly. It did feel good when one of his pieces sold.

"You know, you'll always have a place working here," Gramps continued.

Embry sighed, frowning slightly, wondering if Quil had said something to his grandfather.

It wasn't that he didn't enjoy working at the shop - he liked it a lot, actually. But the fact that Quil's grandfather had given it to him out of some sort of penance for all the years Quil Ateara IV ignored Embry and his mother left a slightly bitter taste in his mouth. While Embry felt like he was doing his best to carry his own weight at the shop now, learning more and taking on more responsibility, it still didn't change how he had gotten the job in the first place.

"Something bothering you, son?" Gramps asked as he placed a hand on Embry's shoulder and squeezed. The old man always seemed to know when Embry was upset, though he still struggled with opening up to him.

He had only found out that he was his grandfather six years ago. Before that, he had a good 17 years thinking Gramps was just his best friend's grandfather. That it was just him and his mother. Now he had a half-brother and grandfather and even after all this time, he was still trying to wrap his head around it.

"You seem a bit more on edge lately. Is it something with work?" Gramps continued, urging Embry to open up.

"No, it's not... Don't get me wrong, I like working here. I just... something feels... I don't know... off... missing," Embry said, frowning a bit more as he struggled to articulate just what he was feeling.

That everyone was moving on with their lives and he was just... stuck. Getting left behind. Outside of everyone imprinting, they all seemed to have found their way in the world while Embry felt unsettled and anxious. Perhaps he should have taken up Leah's suggestion to move to Portland or just... get out of La Push in general. He would be on his own, but at least he wouldn't be constantly surrounded by happily imprinted couples.

"You feel restless," Gramps said, dropping his hand. "I suppose it's only natural."

"Because I'm the only one besides Leah who hasn't imprinted," Embry stated. Gramps chuckled.

"No, because you're young and all young people are restless at some point. Even Quil and the others," Gramps said sagely.

"Could have fooled me," Embry muttered, causing Gramps to laugh loudly.

"I'm serious. Why do you think he's so keen to move off with Claire? We all feel it at some point. It just means that you are open and ready for the next stage of your life, whatever that ends up being," Gramps said. "Doesn't have to do anything with imprinting... You're only 23. There's more than enough time to figure things out and decide what you want. In the meantime, like I said, you'll always have a place here."

Embry turned to the old man and nodded.

"Thanks... I appreciate it," he said.

And he did. If Gramps hadn't offered him the job right after he graduated, Embry wasn't sure what he would have done.

Well, that's not true. He might have gone to university, though truthfully, he wasn't as keen on that idea - high school had been difficult enough and he wanted to stay close to his mother and the reservation should any other supernatural occurrence happen. And while he supposed Sam could have given him a job at the garage, Embry felt much happier at the woodshop, surrounded by the smell of pine and lacquer rather than grease and car parts.

"Now get home. Your mother is probably worried about you," Gramps ordered. "Besides you've put in enough hours today. Beginning to think you're trying to move into the shop."

Embry nodded again, offering Gramps a smile before he left the workshop and made his way through the front of the shop and out the door. He stopped for a moment and looked around at the twilight, taking a deep breath and reveling in the smell of nature around him. Most days he drove to work, but the weather had been nice that day, so he had walked it. It wasn't that far and he could always cut it down by running.

Starting towards home, Embry made his way towards the house where he still lived with his mother on the edge of the main town. He and Quil had been talking about getting their own place a few months ago, but seemed that idea was out the window with his best friend now planning to leave with Claire - even though he wasn't planning to join her until the second semester. Maybe he could convince Jacob to get a place with him, but he seemed perfectly happy staying at his dad's place until the Cullens moved.

But now that he thought about it, Embry supposed he could afford his own place. He had been putting money aside for years and made a decent living between his salary and the commission he got for every piece he made that sold. But that would definitely mean putting down more permanent roots in La Push. Embry was still trying to figure out if that's what he truly wanted.

It was something to think about.

A gentle breeze blew, rustling the trees around him. Embry stopped, looking out into the forest. He swore that he heard something in the wind but just as it had appeared, it disappeared. He remained still, his ears perked as he listened.

There it was again. A soft melody of sorts, but he couldn't tell if someone was singing or if he was hearing a radio or TV. He almost turned to continue on his way when the breeze blew again, this time carrying a hint of the scent he had smelled the other day. It was like an ocean breeze.

Eyes widening slightly, Embry turned towards the sound, starting to make his way through the trees, trying to find the source of the melody and the scent. For a few minutes, it seemed he was getting closer, but then abruptly, it stopped, leaving him confused and disappointed.

Embry waited, hoping it would start up again. But after about five minutes, he realized wherever it was coming from, he wouldn't be able to find it now. Sighing, he turned and started back the way he came and then headed home.

Freja leaned back on her hands as she dangled her legs off the rock that sat on the edge of the cliff. Closing her eyes, she took a deep, cleansing breath, allowing the sound of the waves and the ocean breeze calm and soothe her. The cliffs on the reservation were one of her favorite spots to unwind and be alone with her thoughts. It was a bit of a hike from where she lived with her grandparents near Second Beach, but definitely worth it for the view.

The Pacific Ocean spread out before her, filling the horizon and seemingly endless.

For a time, Freja allowed her mind to wander, but a persistent itch grabbed her attention. She lifted her arm and looked at the patch of peeling skin that had gotten just a bit larger. Her grandmother was thrilled, taking this as proof that Freja was going through what she had taken to calling "The Change."

All her life, she had known what her grandparents and mother were. What she was - well half, anyway. But as a child, she was too fascinated by the stories to ever really think about what it meant for her and her future. Not until recently, anyway. As a kid, 21 seemed so far away. But now that it was very nearly here, Freja couldn't help the near-constant slight trepidation that seemed to follow her. Nor the frustration.

And while her grandparents did their best to comfort her, even they had to admit that they had never seen anyone undergo The Change before - only heard stories. Freja was the first of her kind in their family and in their clan - a clan that had long ago cut ties with her family so was basically no help either. And unfortunately, she had overheard her grandparents discussing it one night just after her 20th birthday and now knew that not everyone survived The Change.

Even if she did, it left her with a choice. To stay here with her grandparents, or to answer the ocean's call and go live with their clan.

It was all a bit much, in her mind. Freja wished she could go back to the days when all she had to worry about was homework and whether anyone would ask her to prom. Or when she would get her first kiss and go on her first date (still waiting). All things that normal girls thought and worried about. Even though Freja was most definitely not a normal girl and hadn't had the chance to experience any of that thanks to her grandparents and the ever constant looming Change.

Sighing, Freja fixed her eyes on the horizon, wondering for a moment what it would be like - living in the ocean. Would it be cold all the time? Perhaps not. Even now, she wasn't that much affected by the water temperature, able to swim for hours and not get cold or tired. Anytime she had gone swimming or surfing with Amy and Natasha, they had always complained that it wasn't fair how she could stay in the water much longer than they could.

Freja smiled slightly, thinking of her best friends and wishing they were in town. That way she could spend one last time with them... just in case. Her heart clenched slightly in renewed grief, even though she was sure that her grandmother would tell her that she was being ridiculous. That she would survive this and it would do her no good to focus on the negative.

She was strong, like her mother. She would make it through The Change.

Closing her eyes, an old tune that Freja often heard in her dreams floated through her mind. She wasn't sure, but felt it must be some memory and she was certain her mother had sang it to her as a baby before she died.

Taking a deep breath, Freja began humming it softly under her breath. Instantly, her anxiety started to abate as she held onto the strength that the lullaby brought to her. While she wished her mother could be there, Freja was grateful that she at least had the many stories her grandparents had told her about her. And the photos. She would often pull them out - they were well worn by now from all the times she had looked at them.

The near-constant restlessness that she had felt coursing through her since her 20th birthday start to fade away as well. In that moment, she didn't need to think about the future or what came next, or about the fact that she felt as though everything was out of her control. Or the weird sensation that something was missing.

A breeze blew her hair back from her face as her voice picked up. She knew it was slightly reckless to be singing here, but Freja hardly ever saw anyone around the cliffs and always made sure that she was alone before she sang. She knew some of the local boys enjoyed jumping from the cliffs, but they wouldn't dare do such a thing in the quickly coming twilight.

She dared to sing a bit louder, feeling her spirit settle in her chest.

Almost as though her grandmother knew she was doing something she shouldn't, Freja's phone rang, piercing through the quiet night. She jumped slightly, her voice stopping as she looked down at the screen.

Sighing, she answered it, turning her eyes back out to the ocean.

"Where are you? It's getting late," her grandmother chided.

"I'm at the cliffs," Freja replied.

"Ah, well, time to come home," her grandmother said quickly. "It's near dinner time and you have that piano to tune in the morning, first thing."

"What?" Freja asked, not recalling such an appointment. "Papa didn't say anything to me when I left the shop."

"It's a last minute appointment. School on the reservation. They need the piano tuned quickly, but your grandfather is busy," Astrid said.

Sighing, Freja nodded even though she knew her grandmother couldn't see her.

"Very well. I'll head back," she said.

"Hurry. You know how anxious it makes me when you are out there alone."

Freja hung up and then stood, sliding her phone into her pocket before brushing herself off and starting into the forest to the trail that would take her down to the beach. But then suddenly, she stopped, feeling a shift in the air. It was the strangest thing. It was as though something she had been looking for - something important - was nearby. Just through the trees. But Freja had no idea what it was. Frowning slightly, she started to take a step in that direction, temporarily forgetting that she was meant to be going home.

The hair on the back of her neck started to stand on end as an urgency to find whatever it was came over her and Freja picked up her speed. She felt some part of her start to reach out through the trees as a small smile appeared on her face, though she had absolutely no reason to be happy in that moment.

The chirping of her phone had her stopping in her tracks though. Feeling a bit dazed, Freja looked to the ground, shaking her head before she pulled out her phone, seeing that Natasha was calling.

"Hey," she said, looking through the trees.

Whatever she had felt before was now gone, if it had even been there to begin with. It was odd and left a lingering unsettledness over her.

"Oh my god, I wish you were here!" Natasha shouted into the phone. Freja chuckled as she started picking her way down the trail.

"You get started a bit early?" Freja asked.

"I am not drunk. Just, well, now that Amy and I can actually get our own alcohol, we thought we'd do margarita night. And we both wish you were here," Natasha explained.

"WE MISS YOU!" Freja heard Amy shout in the background.

"I miss you guys too," Freja said, a slight pain hitting her in the chest.

"Seriously, did you talk to your grandparents about coming down for your 21st? Amy and I already have it all planned out. Bars. Clubs. Dancing. Getting seriously drunk and flirting with hot guys. The whole shebang," Natasha said quickly.

Freja's heart clenched. She knew there was no way she could go down to visit them for her birthday, but she still didn't have the heart to tell them no outright, rather making up excuses about working it out with her grandparents. Thankfully, as her best friends, both were well aware of how protective they were.

"Oh my god, Freja. You're an adult! Just... book the fucking ticket and get your ass down here!" Natasha shouted into the phone. Freja smiled sadly.

"I told you... turning 21 is kind of a big thing in my family... they really want me home for it. But maybe I can come down a couple weeks after that?" she suggested.

There was silence on the other end.

"Okay, I may be willing to accept that. But only because I can't throttle you through the phone," Natasha finally said.

"Thank god for that," Freja replied with a chuckle.

"Really, though... you need to get out of Forks. I think it would be amazing for you. You know, they have a really good music program here-"

"Told you... can't afford it," Freja said quickly, cutting her off. "And I'm not that good."

"Ugh... you are just... ugh!" Natasha replied. Freja chuckled again.

"Look, I'll talk to them and let you know. Right now I'm trying to get through the forest in the dark, so I really need to focus and not break my leg," Freja said, though part of her didn't want to hang up.

She wasn't sure how much time she would have left for these silly drunken conversations with her best friends.

"Just do it," Natasha ordered. "Love you!"

"Yea, love you!" Amy shouted in the background.

"Love you guys too," Freja said. She then hung up and stuck the phone in her pocket.

She then stopped yet again, looking back in the direction she had almost gone in. She then shook her head and continued on towards home.

What did it matter? In just two months, everything was going to change anyway.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

924K 25.7K 30
γ€Œπ——π—˜π—¦π—’π—Ÿπ—”π—§π—˜γ€β We all made mistakes❞ β–ͺ︎ Synopsis β–ͺ︎ Serena, the eldest Black sister, had moved after she had broken it off with Paul Lahote. Bef...
4.2K 42 36
Elena Lovelace has lived in Forks her entire life, she's Bella's cousin who knows about the secrets because she has a secret too. She is a Witch! Wha...
24.5K 601 39
Amy Braddock and her three sisters Carly, Tessa, and Sarah are moving to La Push, Washington for their parents jobs. When a Quileute legend comes tru...
1.4M 48.1K 22
[Just so everyone that reads this book knows, I have made the decision to just leave this book to rest. I won't edit it ever probably and no future s...