Kamala & Doug: A Dream Come T...

By breeoc97

Kamala Harris has just become the first ever woman Vice President in a historic election. She thought that wo... More

the day after the historic win
a brunch with the bidens
stress or something else?
denial turned into reality
the first glimpse
a christmas surprise
tender loving care
the game changing moment
an inauguration gender reveal!
a sexy + romantic valentine's day
announcing the news to the world
cbs this morning interview
romantic date night
a special tattoo + friends visiting!
first ever mother's day
doug's sick day
a surprise beary baby shower!
is it time?
welcoming devi into the world
just the three of us
devi meets family via zoom!
heading home + devi meets his siblings!
biggest surprise EVER!
senate + house friends visiting!
more family visits!
the babies finally meet!
interview with joy reid
devi is one month old + heading to cali!
visiting shyamala'a grave
the dodgers and giants game!
doug's birthday
kamala's birthday
family cuddles in bed
meeting with the president of france!
devi's 1st thanksgiving
another big surprise
devi's first hanukkah
kennedy center honors
christmas eve party!
a christmas eve gender reveal
relaxing day at home
spending time with friends!
inaugural ball
visiting mama at work!
instagram pictures
a fun brunch with the clintons!
formula shortage hits home
devi's 1st mother's day
ivy is here | birth announcement
planning the boys' birthday
kamala's weird pregnancy cravings!
devi meets ivy
a birthday surprise!
the macrons are in dc!
a cute morning at the white house
welcoming ivy
meeting grandpa (pt 1)
meeting grandpa (pt 2)

doug gets covid

556 11 29
By breeoc97

*This book (and all of my books) are so behind I wanna cry 😭 I hope you guys understand and I apologize for delays. Please enjoy this chapter! Bree 💙

March 15th, 2022

"You what?" Kamala asks Doug as she walks around her desk, asking Doug to repeat what he just said.

"I have Covid, baby. I wasn't feeling the best at the garden event earlier so my staff gave me a Covid test. The rapid test showed I'm positive, I'm just waiting for the regular one to come in. But the rapids we use are pretty accurate." Doug says as Kamala gets upset.

"Oh my God! This can't be happening! This can't be happening right now." Kamala says as she tries to not cry.

Kamala knows many people who have has covid, including her sister and niece but she never thought any of them would get it because of how extreme they are about staying safe.

"I'm sorry, baby. I'm going to be just fine. Try to not worry." Doug says to Kamala.

"H-H-How are we going to do this? I gotta work, I can't just stop doing things -" Kamala says before Doug interrupts her.

"Shh shh shh. Kam, calm down baby. Calm down. Deep breaths, deep breaths. Don't get all upset. You can't be stressed with Ivy growing inside of you and plus Devi. Devi needs you, more now especially since I'm down for the count for what is it now, ten day quarantine?" Doug says to Kamala, confused on the quarantine day count is now a days.

"Y-Y-Yeah I think it's five days if you are asymptomatic and ten if you are symptomatic." Kamala explains to Doug and Doug nods.

"H-H-How are we going to do this, Dougie? I have no idea how we will do this!" Kamala asks Doug as she tries to take deep breaths and calm herself down.

"We will just have to sleep in different bedrooms, that's all. Oh and no kissing or close contact, which will be super hard for us but it's okay we will survive. It's no big deal, baby. I'm going to be just fine. I'm vaccinated and healthy." Doug says to to Kamala.

"None of our other bedrooms in our house aren't really set up still, remember?" Kamala says playfully to Doug with a little giggle.

"Oh shoot, that's right. We really need to get that situated before we have to move in a few years." Doug says with a chuckle before he begins to cough.

"Oh, Dougie. I hate to hear you cough. You have symptoms now. I'm scared, what if I have it now?"
Kamala asks in worry, afraid she will get it and get sick.

Kamala isn't just worrying about herself, she is worried about her and Doug's son Devi and their unborn daughter Ivy.

"Well, you got covid tested today right?" Doug asks Kamala, wondering if she needed to be tested again.

"Yes, before I came into the office and it was negative." Kamala says to Doug and Doug sighs with much relief knowing she doesn't have it.

"Then you have nothing to worry about, baby. I'm sure you would have had it by now. I've probably had it for a few days and just didn't know." Doug says to Kamala.

"I'm just really scared about Devi. He isn't even vaccinated and that's all we need for him to get sick. Some kids get really sick, Dougie." Kamala says, getting panicky again.

"I know, I know. But I think he has antibodies because you got the first two shots while pregnant with him. And Ivy will be fine because you got a booster while pregnant with her. Please try to not worry, baby." Doug says to Kamala, reassuring her that the two loves of her life will be fine through this.

"Are you home now, Dougie?" Kamala asks Doug as she plays with her hair.

"Yeah, my agents rushed me home after the first test came back. I'm just sitting in the living room. I miss you already." Doug says to Kamala as he frowns, knowing he and Kamala won't be together for over a week.

"I already miss you too. Don't worry, we will talk everyday, probably multiple times a day. You need to try and rest, okay?" Kamala says as she hears Devi babbling in the hallway as Jill brings him and Jacob over for a visit.

A few days a week if she isn't busy with First Lady duties and teaching, Jill babysits Devi for Kamala and Doug so they can fully focus on work.

"I'll call you later, okay?" Kamala says to Doug and Doug nods, coughing again.

"Okay, baby. I love you." Doug says to Kamala as he kisses her through the phone.

"I love you too. Bye bye." Kamala says, kissing Doug through the phone as well before ending the phone call.

Kamala sighs before she looks over to Jill, Jacob and Devi and tries to smile, acting like nothing has happened.

"Look Devi! Look, Jakey! There's Mama and Auntie Kamala!" Jill says in a babyfied voice as she pushes the double stroller into Kamala's office.

"Hi, baby. Hi, Jakey. Are you two having a fun day?" Kamala asks the boys with a grin, trying to keep her distance afraid her negative test might not be correct.

"Baaaaaa baaaaa!" Jacob says as he smiles, smiling just like his dad Joe.

"Aaaaa!" Devi says as he begins to take his socks off.

"He learned to take his socks off! We have been playing this game all day." Jill says with a chuckle and than realizes Kamala looks like something is bothering her.

"What's going on, Kam? It looks like something happened." Jill says to Kamala, walking over to her and rubbing her shoulders.

"It's Doug. H-H-He h-h-as covid." Kamala says, as the tears begin to gush down as Jill hugs her tightly, holding her tightly.

"It's okay, Kamala. It's okay. Doug is very healthy and he will be just fine." Jill says to Kamala softly.

"I-I-I know, but I'm afraid about me getting it and Devi! Devi isn't vaccinated like all of us are! Jacob too! And I'm really scared about Ivy." Kamala says as she tries to take regular breaths but is struggling.

"Kamala, I need you to calm down, sweety. We don't want Ivy being born early. I need you to take some deep breaths. Let's do it together." Jill says in a motherly tone as she helps Kamala calm down.

Jill and Kamala begin to take a few deep breaths together and after taking a few deep breaths, Kamala slowly but surely calm down.

"That's my girl. Don't worry, you, Devi and Ivy will be fine and we're gonna figure this out. What's the plan for tonight?" Jill asks Kamala.

"I'm probably gonna head home for the night. I just won't be in close contact with Dougie." Kamala says in a sad tone of voice.

"Our house is your house and you and Devi are more than welcome to stay with us. Just keep that in mind." Jill says to Kamala, rubbing her shoulders.

"I will." Kamala says softly to Jill as she picks up Devi and holds him close.

"Come on, Jakey. Let's go get some toys." Jill says as she picks up Jacob and gets ready to leave Kamala's office.

"Jill?" Kamala asks Jill as Jill turns around and walks back over to Kamala and Devi.

"Yes, Kam?" Jill says to Kamala.

"Do you mind if Devi and I stay with you guys for a few days? Doug was coughing a lot on the phone, I think he is symptomatic now. I would feel more comfortable at home if he wasn't symptomatic. I hope he doesn't get too sick. He told me he felt tired this morning but I just figured it was because we stayed up way too late last night watching TV." Kamala says to Jill.

"Of course you two can stay! Let me call Joe and he can come here while we figure things out. Doug didn't look good to me this morning. Poor guy. He will be okay. He might be sick for a few days but he will be fine. Welp, the four of us almost made it two years without getting it. That should be a record!" Jill says with a chuckle and Kamala smiles.

"Right. I knew one of us would get it eventually. All I gotta say is thank goodness Dougie and I kept a few of our things here at our offices. It would've been harder if we didn't." Kamala says with a small smile.

"We have plenty of baby clothes and diapers at our house, so Devi can just share with Jacob. It's good to have babies four days apart, huh?" Jill says as he and Kamala both chuckle.

"It sure is!" Kamala says as she kisses Devi's cheek as Devi holds onto Kamala's necklace.

Just then, Joe walks into Kamala's office with papers in his hand, wanting to talk to Kamala about a matter.

"We were just talking about you! Come here and help please, Kamala and Devi are coming over our house for a few days." Jill says to Joe and Joe's face turns into concern.

"What did Doug do to upset you, Kam? Do I need to kick his ass?" Joe says, ready to fight for Kamala because she is like a daughter to him.

"No no, nothing like that Joe, don't worry! He just tested positive for covid this afternoon." Kamala says with a chuckle and then a sigh.

"Oh, no! That's not good. Damn, We tried every trick in the book to stay safe and one of us got it anyway. Is he gonna be ok?" Joe says with a sigh.

"The rapid and the regular test both came both positive so he officially has it. And Doug is definitely symptomatic now. He was coughing some while talking with me and he told me he was tired before he left for work." Kamala says to Joe.

"He will be fine. He'll probably feel like he has a bad cold but he will be good. He is a healthy fellow and he is vaccinated and boosted." Joe says as Kamala hands Devi to Joe.

"Are you being a good boy? Are you excited to spend the night with Nana, Pop and Jacob? Major, Commander and Willow too!" Joe says to Devi in a babyfied tone, causing Devi to babble happily.

"Baaa!" Jacob says, wanting Joe's attention too.

"Come here! I'll hold you too!" Joe says, taking Jacob from Jill and holding him.

"We have to watch Willow around Kamala, we don't need her to have an allergic reaction." Jill says, remembering Kamala's cat allergy.

"I'm surprised Devi isn't allergic. Everybody on my side of the family is allergic. But Doug or his family aren't allergic." Kamala says to Joe and Jill.

"Devi loves Willow. He loves her tail." Jill says with a smile.

"Does Doug need any food or any medicine? We can get anything for him." Joe asks Kamala.

"He's good on medicine. We got almost every over the counter cold and flu medication in the book." Kamala says to Joe as she chuckles, remembering how stuffed the bathroom cabinet is.

"Well, if he needs any of the covid medicines, please let me know. I'll make sure he gets it." Joe says to Kamala and Kamala smiles.

"Thank you, Joe. I really appreciate that. But he is going to need food for sure. We forgot to go grocery shopping last week. Oh, jeez." Kamala says while facepalming.

"I'll take care of that. Just make a grocery list and my assistants and agents will head to the store and buy whatever he needs." Jill says to Kamala.

"Jill, thank you. I know Doug will be ok, but covid is no joke and I don't want his condition to get worse. Joe, I don't know what to do!" Kamala says as she starts to cry on Joe's shoulder and hugs him.

"It's going to be okay, Kamala. I promise you. We have the best doctors and experts that will take care of Doug and make sure he stays healthy and doesn't get too sick. Right now you just need to focus on your health, Devi's health and Ivy's health. We need Ivy to stay put until July and we need you to be healthy as well, you are the Vice President after all." Joe says, softly kissing Kamala's forehead and she smiles.

"Ma ma!" Devi says softly, causing Jill, Kamala and Joe's faces to light up in excitement. This is Devi's first time saying Mama.

"He said mama! He said mama! Oh my goodness!" Jill says as she claps her hands happily.

"Aww, Devi! You said Mama! Oh my gosh! That just made this day 1000% better." Kamala says as she begins to cry happy tears this time.

"Did he say Dada or Mama first?" Joe asks Kamala playfully with a grin.

"He said Da da last night and Doug cried like a baby just like I am right now!" Kamala says as she wipes away her tears.

"Jacob is getting close to saying both Dada and Mama but he will say Mama first! Right, baby?" Jill says to Jacob as she takes him from Joe. 

"No. He'll say Dada first. All my other four kids did and I'm counting on Jakey to continue the streak." Joe says as Jill playfully rolls her eyes.

"Kamala let me see your iPhone. I think America might wanna hear what he said today." Jill says with a big smile.

"Sure! Here you go." Kamala says while handing her phone to Jill

Jill starts recording on Kamala's iPhone, recording Kamala and Devi as she manages to hold Jacob as well.

"Devi. Do you wanna tell everybody what you learned today?" Kamala says in a happy tone as she holds him close to her face.

"Ma Ma!" Devi says happily out loud.

"Yay! You said Mama! Can I have a kiss?" Kamala says as she holds Devi up and Devi gives her a sloppy kiss.

"Aw, good boy. I love you!" Kamala says happily to Devi.

"Kamala, let's finish what we were working on tomorrow. We all need to eat some dinner and relax. Today has been a long and crazy day with everything we are doing and now with Doug getting covid. Let's get going. It's dinner time! Right, Jacob and Devi? Are you two hungry?" Joe says to Kamala and then to Jacob and Devi.

Jacob and Devi both babble happily, causing the three adults to smile.

"I'll push them in the double stroller!" Jill says with a cheeky grin as Kamala and Joe both put the boys in their seats.

"Actually, Joe, can you push the stroller? I wanna call and make sure Doug has everything he needs so Kamala doesn't have to worry." Jill says to Joe.

"I can call, Jill. It's okay -" Kamala says before Jill interrupts.

"No no, you need to rest and not worry. You have to take care of two you know." Jill says as she grabs her iPhone and rubs Kamala's baby bump.

"I really appreciate you two so so much. And Ivy does too." Kamala says as she suddenly feels Ivy kicking and moving around.

"And we love you, baby girl. You need to Keep growing inside your mama, but we can't wait to meet you." Jill says to Kamala's belly before giving it a kiss.

Joe pushes the boys double stroller and makes noises like a car would, causing the boys to giggle loudly.

Kamala walks right behind him, next to Jill who is on the phone making sure Doug is getting meals and medicine he would need for the next ten days.

Once at the White House, Jill, Kamala, Devi, Joe and Jacob all have dinner together and even have Doug there via FaceTime, while he eats his dinner.

After dinner, Jill helps Kamala get settled into her and Devi's new bedroom for the next week, helping her getting their clothes in the drawers and make sure the bed is made.

"Here's the rolling crib we bought for when Beau, Bonny or Eugenia come over. We need another one because Eugenia and Bonny are too big to share plus baby Joey needs one." Jill says as Kamala smiles.

"Jill, I just really wanna thank you and Joe so freaking much. You don't have to do all of this. I'm just the Vice President." Kamala says with a soft chuckle.

"You are the Vice President but you are also family, Kamala. You, Doug, Devi, Ivy, even Cole, Ella and the rest of the Emhoff-Harris family is our family. We would do this for anybody in our family. Joe and I want to keep you, Devi and Ivy healthy. You have one the biggest jobs in America and we just don't want  you getting covid if we can prevent it." Jill says to Kamala.

"You're right. I'm just glad I have another woman looking out for me since my mom can't." Kamala says with a sad look on her face.

"Your mom is looking down at you and she is so happy for you and so freaking proud of you!" Jill says causing Kamala to smile.

"And I know she would have loved seeing me be a mom, finally!" Kamala says with a smile.

"You know it! She would be spoiling Devi, Ivy, Amara and Leela rotten!" Jill says as she and Kamala both laugh.

"Meow." Willow says as she walks into the bedroom but Jill quickly stops her.

"No no, Willow! Don't come in here. Kamala is allergic to you, girly." Jill says as she blocks the door and Willow turns around, going back into the living room.

"Don't worry, Jill. I'll only have a bad allergic reaction if I touch her." Kamala says smiling at Jill at her carefulness.

"I know, but Devi pets her a lot. I don't want you to somehow get a reaction by him touching her. Devi loves her, it is so sweet." Jill says with a smile as she and Kamala leave the bedroom and walk into the living room where Joe, Jacob, Devi, Commander, Major and Willow are.

"Well, I haven't felt anything yet and he has been coming over here for Dr. Biden's daycare since Willow came!" Kamala says with a grin and Jill smiles too.

Joe is sitting on the floor with Jacob and Devi while they play, Major is laying on his dog bed, Willow is playing with her cat toy close by and Commander is laying between Jacob and Devi.

"Do you boys love Willow? Do you?" Jill says in a babyfied voice to Devi and Jacob.

Jacob and Devi both babble and smile at Jill, responding to her question.

"I think we'll take that as a yes!" Joe says with a smile on his face as he pets Commander's face.

Devi tries to pull on Willow's tail but Jill quickly picks him up.

"Sweety, no! We don't pull on Willow's tail. That's not nice." Jill says with a slight smile on her face.

Devi babbles and smiles up at Jill and Kamala, causing Kamala's heart to melt.

"Ba baaaa!" Jacob says happily as he holds a block in his hand.

"Yeah! Your blocks are fun, huh? Did big brother Hunter get these for you?" Joe says as he rubs Jacob's back and Jacob smiles.

Kamala smiles as she takes pictures of Joe, Jacob, Devi, Jill and Commander all together for memories for Devi's scrapbook.

"Joe, Commander shouldn't be on the baby blanket. This is Jacob's blanket only and not for the dogs, they have their own blankets." Jill says to Joe.

"He doesn't listen, he loves this blanket, Jilly." Joe says to Jill with a chuckle.

Kamala pets Major's head and Major licks her hand, causing her to giggle.

"Have you talked to Doug anymore, Kamala?" Joe asks Kamala.

"I haven't! I'll probably talk to him before I go to bed, if he isn't asleep." Kamala says as she continues to pet Major.

"He seemed unwell. Poor guy. Hopefully covid doesn't kick his butt too hard." Joe says and Kamala nods.

"I hope it doesn't either. I wish I could help him feel better." Kamala says with a sigh.

"You are doing everything you can, it just needs to take it's course." Jill says and Kamala nods.

Devi babbles as he continues to sit in Jill's lap. Jill holds a sensory book so Devi can touch and feel each page.

Joe, Jill, Kamala, Jacob and Devi all continue to hang in the living room for another hour before heading to bed for the night.

Kamala calls Doug and they talk until they fall asleep on the phone with each other.

After ten days in quarantine, Doug is officially free and survived covid! Doug is thankful his case wasn't severe and has no long term side effects from it. Doug is also thankful that he and Kamala were vaccinated and boosted for covid! :)

*Picture of Doug sitting in a recliner at home*
vp Earlier today, the @SecondGentleman
tested positive for COVID-19. Doug is doing fine and we are grateful to be vaccinated and boosted. I have tested negative and will continue to test. Please get vaccinated and boosted if you haven't already.

*Picture of Devi sitting on the floor and is playing with some toys*
vp For everyone who is wondering, both Devi and I tested negative for Covid. We are so thankful to be vaccinated and boosted! Devi got antibodies from the first two shots I got while pregnant with him and Ivy got antibodies from the booster I received a few months ago.   

*Picture of Devi, Joe and Jacob all sitting on the couch together with Major and Commander sitting by Joe's feet*
kamalaharris @douglasemhoff is quarantining at the Naval Observatory while Devi and I are having a sleep over for a few days with @joebiden and @drbiden 🥰

*Video of Devi saying Mama over and over, causing Jill, Joe and Jacob to cheer*
kamalaharris Someone learned how to say Mama today 🥺😭 But of course he said Da da first making @douglasemhoff a very happy Dad 🥰

*Picture of Doug sitting in the reclining chair*
secondgentleman I tested positive for COVID. My symptoms are mild and I'm grateful to be both vaccinated and boosted. If you have yet to get vaccinated and boosted, please don't wait.

*Picture of Devi and Jacob sitting on a baby blanket together and they are both smiling*
secondgentleman Devi is having so much fun with his his Mama, Pop, Nana, Commander, Willow and Major! I miss him and @vp dearly but this will keep them all safe from catching covid from me!

*Picture of Doug FaceTiming Devi and Kamala*
douglasemhoff  I am really missing @kamalaharris @vp and Devi while I quararine but I will do anything and everything to keep them (and plus miss Ivy) safe and not get Covid. Can't wait to see you guys in a few days ❤️

*Video of Devi saying Mama a few times and Kamala and Jill cheering in the background*
douglasemhoff I am so sad I missed this but I'm so glad @drbiden got it on camera! But to make sure everybody knows, he said Dada first 😉

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.6K 803 10
NOW COMPLETE Joe's never a had a girlfriend before. Turns out, there's a lot to learn. One-shot series covering moments in Joe and Dianne's relations...
Illegitimate Rule By Kailip

Historical Fiction

34 0 14
During the 2028 election Trans woman Danielle Spears is sure she has won the election but to her surprise on election night 2028 she was beaten By co...
103K 1.2K 18
revising + writing more CURRENTLY updates will be spontaneous anyways hi im medicated now and i am SO normal about Eddsworld.
8K 256 18
I wish no ill will to anyone, just love these two as a couple and in fiction, there must always be drama....