FUMES [2], jj maybank

By jir0u_

seasons 1-2 ALL THE WAY DOWN SCREAMIN' jj maybank x sam vernon kiara carrera x bailey perez book two to NICK... More

0. characters n info
1. MORNING LIGHT
2. THIS IS BEYOND BELIEF
3. IT'S A RACE AGAINST THE CLOCK
4. OH, IM ON FIRE
5. WISH YOU COULD HAVE WANTED IT A LITTLE BIT
6. THESE DREAMS, THEY'RE TAKING HOLD
7. IF ALL WE HAVE IS TIME
8. THEN WE'LL BE ALRIGHT
9. YOU'RE MY BEST FRIEND
10. HOPE YOU DON'T REGRET IT
11. I'M USING WHITE LIGHTERS TO SEE
12. DYING JUST TO FEEL ALIVE
13. IF I LEFT RIGHT NOW
14. ESCAPE IS WHAT I NEED
16. WE'LL MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT
17. AND NOW I'M PARANOID
18. MY HEAD IS FILLED WITH PARASITES
19. WE'RE RUNNING ON FUMES
ACT II
20. LATELY I CAN'T FIND THE BEAT
21. THE DOG DAYS ARE OVER
22. HERE IN THE LAND OF REBEL POWERS
23. FEEL ALRIGHT
24. MISS ME WITH THAT BULLSHIT
25. I'M OFF ON THE ADVENTURE
26. WHAT'S BEEN HAPPENIN' IN YOUR WORLD?
27. 'CAUSE IT FEELS LIKE MURDER
28. ENJOY YOUR YOUTH
29. DEVIL'S ADVOCATE
30. THERE'S A BURNING IN MY BONES
31. 'CAUSE SOCIALLY SPEAKING, WE WERE THE SAME
32. GIVE THE BRUISES OUT LIKE GIFTS
33. YOU LEFT SOME HOLES IN THE PLOTLINE
34. HIT THE TONE, COCK IT BACK
35. SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT
36. AS IT WAS
37. THE FEELINGS START TO ROT
38. ARE WE IN THE CLEAR YET?
39. AND WHEN YOU GO AWAY
40. PRONE TO BEING BLINDED
41. NO ONE'S GONNA CATCH US NOW
42. I'VE BEEN MOVING IN BACKWARDS DIRECTIONS
BOOK 3 IS OUT

15. WATCHING MY YOUTH SLIP AWAY

743 16 3
By jir0u_

  "WAKE UP, LOVEBIRDS! WE'VE got gold to scoop!" Kie bangs on the bedroom door making me groan. I'm already up but the loud noise goes straight to my head. JJ has an arm swung over me and his face shoved in a pillow. If I could move my body, I'd take a picture of him. "JJ," I shake him and whisper in his ear, he doesn't move. "JJ!" I yell into his ear and he moves and opens one eye, "What?"

"We've gotta get the gold, babe," I move some hair from his face. The sun makes his blue eyes even bluer. "How's your legs?" I smack his bicep and roll out of bed before I fall asleep again. When I go to take a step I wobble and huff when I realize it'll inflate his ego. "So—"

"Don't. Get dressed and let's help Kie and Pope," I grab the shirt I wore yesterday and the shorts I wore to bed.

"JJ—"

"I'm getting out, calm y'shit." I throw him a white tank top and shorts, "Come on!"

  A few minutes later we're outside making sure the pulley system works. Kie is in the bucket as Pope pulls her up. I'm amazed by Pope's plan. I'm not surprised it works. It's fucking Pope.

   "How's it feeling?" He asks Kie. "Feels good," She replies. JJ and I are sitting in the hot tub. There's inflatables everywhere. If it wasn't due to JJ's breakdown, I'd be happy surrounded by colorful inflatables and sitting in a hot tub. "John B pullin' a Houdini!" JJ yells so the others can hear him. "Yeah, where is he?" Pope shouts back. "He had to do that thing with Ward, maybe he's late," I suggest.

"I've got my scholarship interview tomorrow. We gotta get this done!" Pope is so nervous about his interview and I keep reassuring him he'll be fine but he shakes his head and goes off on a tangent.

   "Speak of the devil!" I turn to see John B marching up. He does not look happy at all. He's not looking at any of us or responding to us as he walks into the house. "What the hell?" I hop out of the hot tub. "Uh...what's that's all about?" Pope asks. "I was gonna ask you the same question," JJ gets out as well and I walk into the house.

When I do, JB is throwing around shit, rummaging for something. "You all right, man? What—what's up?" Pope tries but he doesn't do anything. "Yo, what are you looking for?" I also try but he has tunnel vision. "Bro, what's going on?" JJ asks. John B walks over to the couch and grabs the gun out of it. "Woah, JB. Why do you need the gun?"

"John B, what do you need the gun for?" JJ and I both go over to him. "Just—no!" Kie shouts. "John B—" He shoves both JJ and I onto the bed. JJ and I look at each other and I quickly get up to see him shoving Pope as well.

   "What are you doing?" Kie shouts. "Pope, you okay?" He nods and we all look stunned at John B who is usually the calm and collected one. The one that calms JJ and I down. "John B, stop!" I yell and walk outside with the others. He still hasn't said a word as he starts the dirt bike. "John B, what the hell?"

"Bro, take a breath, explain—"

"Ward knows about the gold," John B turns back to us, "Ward and Weston killed my dad."

I don't run when the others try to go after him. I feel like the whole world is starting to spin.

My dad—killed—my best friend's dad. Sarah's dad—killed her boyfriend's dad.

   "Sam?" I hear Kie call out to me but my head is swirling. Has Weston known about the gold the whole time? That's why they've been working together. That's why Ward stopped paying Weston to stay off the island since last year, because they got close to the gold.

  "She's really pale!" Pope shouts at me. "I need to sit," I walk inside the house and flop onto the couch. "Babe—"

"I shouldn't even be surprised! Right? He was bound to murder someone at some point. He's a violent," I get up and kick the chair, "piece of shit person! But he killed Big John! He fucking knew about the gold!" I kick the chair again. JJ grabs my wrist but I shake it out of his grip. My body is shaking. I need to punch something. I walk over to the cabinets and punch one so hard the wood breaks.

  "Wow, okay," I hear Pope say. I stare down at my fist that quickly starts bleeding from the cuts and wood that cut my fist. "I'm gonna kill Weston!"

"Woah, hey, your fist is bleeding, let me help you—"

"He killed Big John!" I feel the tears roll down my face and I hate it. I'm fucking pissed. A part of me even feels betrayed, as if he hasn't betrayed me enough. "I need to tell Blake and Vanessa but they can't tell Marcus. It'll crush him—"

JJ grabs my face, "Hey, hey, maybe you should calm down before you tell them, okay?" I move his hands from my face and immediately feel bad but I don't move them back.

"Take me home—"

"No, nope. What if Ward told Weston that John B knows? He'll go after you and that's the first place he'll go," Pope makes a point. "Yeah, you're not going back. If you'd like, you can call them and tell them to come here. I'll even do it. You're still pale as a ghost, give me your phone and I'll do it," Kie holds out her hand and I think about it but take my phone out of my pocket and hand it to her.

  You'd think I'd go into a full blown panic attack but I'm feeling too many things to even determine if it's anxiety. "What if Weston attacks my family?" I look back and forth between my friends and JJ.

JJ bites his cheek and looks at Pope for an answer. "What if, JJ—"

"Then, we'll fuckin' handle it, okay?" He grabs my shoulders and stares into my eyes. I calm down a bit. Kie had left the room to, I assume, call my siblings. "Where's John B. He took the fucking gun—"

"I don't know. Let's tell Vanessa and Blake and then we'll find him."

"No, no. Y'all go, I'll wait for him and then just come back in an hour, okay?" I'm worried about JB and what actions his anger will cause. I've never seen him so mad that he pushes us like that or goes completely silent. JJ shakes his head, "Nah, I'll stay here. You two go. Come back in an hour to get both of us. I ain't leaving you alone to deal with this."

I nod in agreement because selfishly, I want JJ to stay with me. I don't even put up an argument. "Okay, they're on the way. I didn't tell them. I just said something happened. We'll be back in an hour. Don't do anything stupid!" Kie and Pope race out the door, leaving us to wait for my sister and brother. My fist stings and I look down to see some dried blood and some still coming out. "Fuck," I curse and put my hand under water. "I'll get the bandages," JJ goes to the closet. "I'm sorry!" I shout.

"For what?" JJ shouts back. I hear him come back and feel his presence behind me. I wince as the water runs over the cuts, "Freaking the fuck out." JJ takes my fist and looks at me for permission to dry it off. I nod but immediately wince again when it dries it off.

"You don't have to be sorry, babe. Everyone deserves a little psych ward breakdown once in a while, right?" He looks up at me and I chuckle, "Yeah." He puts some bandages over the cuts and kisses my fist making me chuckle again.

"I've missed your smile. Not your sarcastic one either, your genuine one."

"Stop being cheesy. It's kinda hard to smile right now," I press my lips together. JJ is about to say something but it's interrupted by Blake and Vanessa busting through the door. "Sam! What the hell happened? What happened to your fist?" Blake is in a panic. "I—" I stutter.

  Trying to find the words to tell them what Weston really is, is somehow hard. He somehow got shittier. "Teenagers scare me. What do you mean it's fine to go into a grave but in a panic—you can't tell us what's happening!" Blake catches his breath.

"Sam, JJ, one of you tells us what is going on! Why did Kiara call us in a panic?" Vanessa takes a step closer. JJ wraps an arm around my shoulder as support and I decide the best way—well, maybe not the best way—is to say it as a joke, "Our dad? He's, uh, pretty shitty, right?"

"Yes, yes. We've summed this up before," Blake rushes me. "Okay, okay. He murdered—John B's dad."

Both of them have the same reaction, wide eyes and hands out in front of them. Makes me remember they're twins. "Wow—is—is there evidence to back this up—"

"Weston being Weston should be enough to back this shit up. Why would Sam lie?" JJ says to Vanessa.

"I'm not saying she's lyin'. Calm down, big boy. Just evidence would be nice—"

"I trust John B. If John B says that Weston and Ward killed his dad, I believe him," I look at Blake because he hasn't argued with me yet. I know he believes me or else he would've said something. "Okay, okay. We believe you," He glances at Vanessa, "We're not telling Marcus. He can't know."

"He'll eventually find out when John B tells someone," JJ says. "Then, he'll find out then. Or maybe right before. Just not right now." Blake and I nod in agreement with each other but I can see Vanessa thinking about saying something.

"What? What, Vanessa?" I cross my arms. "It's just—if I were him, I'd want to know."

"Well, you're not. I know Marcus better than you. I'll be the one to tell him when it comes to that—"

"There's no reason to be an ass! I'm worried about Marcus as well. He's my brother too!" I step forward with my arms still crossed. "He is 14 years old! Marcus was abused by Weston since he was born. No one is telling him now!" I shout. Vanessa's presence is overwhelming me. She just gets under my skin so easily it's insane.

     "We have to go somewhere soon—"

"Go where?! You can't just tell us dad murdered someone and leave—"

"Vanessa, let them be. Be careful," Blake pushes Vanessa out of the house and gives me a nod. When the door closes my whole body untenses and I put myself into JJ's arms.

"I know, I'm sorry, princess. You'll get through this. For now, we gotta find John B," JJ holds me, rocking back and forth slightly.

  Crickets chirp around us as we wait on the porch.

    The HMS Pogue pulls up to the dock and I lift my heavy head up. "Pope and Kie are here with—Bailey?" JJ questions.

"Bailey?" I raise my voice. I run off the porch and towards the boat. "Bailey!" I run faster to the boat but stop and very, very, carefully get in. Everyone laughs at me stopping to make sure I don't fall in.

  Seeing Bailey is something I needed, I haven't seen her in a bit. I wonder if it was Kie's idea to grab her. I know Pope wouldn't ask the girl he likes ex-situation to get in the boat.

"Hi—" I hug tightly and she hugs me back tightly. "I've missed you," I say into the hug. "We text everyday," She let's go. "Not the same. Have you guys found JB?" JJ gets in and the others shake their head no. "We're going to The Cameron's next."

We pull up to the back of The Cameron's.

"What now? We just go up to the front yard and ask, 'Hey, have you seen John B?'" JJ asks sarcastically. "Look, he lives at Tannyhill now. It's plausible," Kie replies, "Look, we can play dumb."

"Play dumb?" I question. "It's pretty late, guys," Bailey groans. "Listen, I don't know why you're here so if you are going to complain. Then leave."

We all stare at Pope with our jaws dropped. "Pope, calm yourself," I warn him. "Look, we've never seen John B like that. We should honestly be going to the cops."

"The cops—"

"The cops, yeah, and say what, Kie? We're worried about our friend because he's on a rampage because Ward Cameron and Weston Vernon killed Big John?" JJ says. I whip my head at Bailey who has wide eyes. "What—"

"Good job, babe. Now Bailey knows," I point to Bailey with her jaw dropped, "There's—a lot going on."

"Clearly!" Bailey shouts. I catch Kie glance at her and glance back at Pope who has his binoculars out. "Hey, I see Ward."

"Let me see," Kie grabs the binoculars. "Doesn't look dead to me. Let's go home," Pope is anxious and clearly fed up. Kie turns around, "What?"

"Uh...Okay. Obviously, Mr. Cameron is fine, and even if John B was here, he isn't now, okay?" I understand Pope but I'm fucking worried about John B, "Plus, I have the biggest, most important moment of my life in six hours."

"Yeah, well, our friend is in trouble—" JJ, Bailey and I move back and forth between Pope and Kie arguing.

"I'm in trouble. Guys, I haven't been home in three days. My dads probably put all my shit on the street by now." Bailey is so confused and all I can do is shrug and hope to explain later. "Okay, so that's it? In a time of need, you're just gonna bail? You're gonna walk away?" Kie says.

"Okay, guys, let's not do this," I put a hand on Kie's shoulder but all she does is give me a look so I let go and go over to JJ. "Hey, I have a scholarship interview in the morning. I can't—"

Kie yells at him, "Okay, well, what about John B?" There's a pause and I grab JJ's hand.

  "Why is it always about John B?" JJ sighs in frustration next me. I squeeze his hand and he squeezes back. I furrow my eyebrows,"Guys—"

"It's not always about John B. You're so stupid! It would be any of you in this situation—"

"Oh, bullshit!" Pope yells and I keep looking at Bailey and JJ. I have no idea what to do. They're not listening to us. "Guys—" JJ tries but it doesn't work. "This is about friendship!" Kie yells. "Bring it down," JJ says but Kie continues, "Look, this is about Pogues for life!" Her voice cracks. "What about forensic pathology, huh?"

I'm starting to get anxious when Kie yells again, "Forensic pathology?"

"It's my life. Everything I've worked for!" They continue fighting and Bailey shouts for Kie but it doesn't stop her. Bailey runs her hands through her hair in frustration. This isn't the first time she's hung out with us but it's the first time she's seen an argument like this. "Stop with the moral high ground bullshit!" Pope shouts. I've also never seen Pope this mad.

"Pope, come on!" JJ tries to stop him.

"No, no. She has no room to talk!" JJ is upset and I'm trying my best to comfort him. "Where were you when Big John went missing?" I put my hand to my mouth. "Oh, shit," I overhear Bailey whisper. She doesn't know about Rafe and Kie but she does know that Kie was partying with Kooks and abandoned her and us.

"You weren't there. You weren't there for John B. You weren't there for any of us. Remember your kook year?" Pope spits at her. "Dude."

"Pope."

"Yeah, you forgot about us. Now you feel guilty."

Kie's voice cracks again and she pushes Pope, "Give me a break!" I let go of JJ's hand and Bailey goes up to Kie. She starts pushing Pope and Pope is pushing back. JJ gets up and gets in the middle, "Hey! Yo, yo, yo, cut it out, alright?" I grab Pope and Bailey grabs Kie. "If Sam and I are the one mediating, we've hit rock bottom," JJ stares at Pope and I let go of him. "Pope, bow, now. Go!" I order him. "Kie, go sit down!" Bailey orders her. "Don't tell me what to do! You don't even know what's going on!"

"No, but I know enough that everyone here is fucking stressed. You both overstepped. Just stay separated!" Bailey yells at Kie. "Pope, I'll drop you off," JJ starts the boat. I stand next to him and lean on him. This day is already shit and this just made it so much worse.

  We drop off the others and now it's just JJ and I.

"I would ask if you're okay but I feel like we're asking each other that a lot," I look into the dark water. The moon and stars bounce off of it. I tuck my knees to my chest and keep my eyes on the moon that follows us. "I was expecting you to yell first, honestly. You've got a lot of built up aggression today."

   I turn from the moon to JJ and see The Chateau in view. Lit up by the very few lights around it. "I just feel bad for Bailey," I get up and get ready to tie the boat up. "Eh, did you see how she yelled at Kie? Bailey still has feelings for our resident Kook," JJ says.

   I tie the boat off, "Pope likes her though and I don't think Kie realizes she still likes Bailey. Not my drama. Bailey hasn't ranted to me in a while about Kie, she'll probably call me tomorrow to complain."JJ gets out first and puts his hand out.

"Where do you think John B is?" He asks as the house gets closer. "Just—hopefully safe. I'm worried. JB can't lose his mind, we're so close to the gold," The skin on my lip is completely ripped off at this point in the night. It'll be bleeding for a couple days and sting everytime I try to eat something but I'm used to that. JJ throws an arm around me and kisses the top of my head causing me to smile.

"I'm sure we'll find him in the morning, sunshine. Let's get some Z's before more chaos happens."

JJ and I had woken up early somehow when we were up so damn late. My mom invited us back to my house for breakfast in which JJ happily said yea to. Claiming my mom's pancakes are slap.

"Mama Rachel," JJ shoves his third pancake into his mouth, "These pancakes are amazing!" Marcus and I chuckle at his dramatics. "Well, maybe if you two came home more than once a week, I'd make more pancakes," My mom's southern accent brings me comfort. I feel bad that I haven't been home and the only contact is worried texts. She has no idea about Weston attacking us or killing Big John and I hope she doesn't find out until the last second, just like Marcus.

I cut another piece of my pancake and shoot Pope a quick good luck text for his interview today. "My mom is gonna run outta eggs if JJ were to stay here. We'd have to get our own chickens," Marcus jokes.

   My heart warms when Marcus and JJ interact even if JJ has known my brother since he was 10. Until Blake, I think Marcus looked up to the boys as older brothers. Hell, John B gives him clothes that don't fit him anymore and Pope and him bond over science. It's cute.

"Yo, babe, get some chickens. We could have a chicken family!" JJ's cheeks are puffed up with pancakes and I roll my eyes.

"No, I'm good. I just want a dog but Brandon keeps saying no." As if on cue, Brandon walks in, coffee in hand, "Because we have the outdoors cats I feed. We don't need a dog."

"I beg to differ," I point my fork at him. "Don't worry, princess. We'll get a dog when we get a home," The blonde smiles widely at me and I can see my mom smirking as she makes herself a pancake. I stare at JJ, I know he feels at home here. I wonder what would have happened if JJ and I both had good childhoods, if we would've never met. Then again, I refuse to believe that JJ and I aren't soulmates in some way.

"As much as I love this, we have to go—to find—I mean, to John B's," I raise my eyebrows hoping JJ will leave with me. "Oh, yeah, we have to go. Tell Justin I said hi. Can I have another pancake?"

"Hey, don't forget, you gotta help Vanessa and I get Justin's gifts together later," I stare at my mom. Fuck, I forgot his birthday is today. "Okay, yeah. I see you guys later," I walk over to JJ and grab his wrists and drag him away,"Bye guys! Love you!" I shout and leave out the front door.

  Do I have everything on me? I pat my pockets making sure I have everything and smile when I realize I do. "Okay, you ready—you've gotta be kiddin' me." JJ somehow got another pancake on the way out. "They're too good! I need your mom to just make a bunch of them—"

I grab his hand, "Let's go, Pancake Monster!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.7K 63 12
ΰ©ˆβœ©β€§β‚ŠΛš ❝ i like that about us. nothing is ever complicated. ❞ &&. in which it's dangerous to fall in love with your best friend. JJ MAYBANK | OUTER B...
22.5K 1.3K 37
And you had to go, I know, I know, I know. JJ MAYBANK / FEM!OC KIARA CARRERA / FEM!OC OBX SEASON 3 03/04/24 β†’ 05/28/24
29.2K 359 70
Bella has been through a lot in her 16 years on Earth. More than any 16-year-old should. Her life used to be filled with days surfing with the pouges...