Soulmate to the Princess

By Metalcanine

Being the princess of all werewolves is not easy, but finding a mate is harder. Annabeth's royal life is turn... More

Author's Note
02 - Arrival
Aesthetics
03 - Friendship
04 - The Talk
05 - Birds and bees and prudes
06 - Hello Redhead
07 - Sleeping Beauty
08 - Dream
09 - Summoned
10 - Snowman
11 - Dinner
12 - Apologies
13 - Gossip
14 - Night Watch
15 - Obedience
16 - One Last Dance
17 - Intruders
18 - Pancakes
19 - Training: Part I
20 - Training: Part II
21 - Far away
22 - The Lady Knight
23 - Fight or Flight
24 - Two very different parents
25 - The Narrow
26 - Shock
27 - Healing
28 - Healing II
29 - Healing III
30 - Two very different Conversations I
31 - Two very different Conversations II
32 - Game night
33 - The Big Brother Toad
34 - Running up that Hill
35 - It's about damn time
36 - Breakfast
37 - A Little Party Never Killed Nobody
38 - Am I ready?
39 - Middle of the Night
40 - Don't blame me
41 - Love made me crazy
42 - Birthday Girl: Part I
43 - Birthday girl: Part II
44 - Guess we lied
45 - Pity Party
46 - Maroon
47 - The Only Exception
48 - Tantrum
49 - Love Me Harder
50 - Little Mishaps
51 - I Did Something Bad
52 - This is me trying
53 - What would you do?
54 - All around the world
55 - All Eyes On Me
56 - The Storm after the Storm
57 - Pocketful of Sunshine
58 - Can't Fight The Moonlight

01 - Escape

1.3K 134 1.4K
By Metalcanine

"What's your name, little wolf?" The tall man asked with a voice calm and warm. He was taller than my dad and I was surprised that such a man even existed.

"Kathrine Evans," I answered quietly and quickly added a "Sir!" before I lowered my eyes.

„Ah, I see. What a beautiful name you have," he said, more to himself than to me. "Beautiful you are, that's true" he continued talking to himself.

"Thank you, I guess, " I shyly answered and looked back above my shoulder and saw my parents standing at the bottom of the stairs. I wasn't really comfortable standing at the podium with that huge man. My dad had a petrified look on his face and my mom looked kind of nervous too.

"How old are you, little lady?" The guy asked and I started counting in my head.

"Twelve! " I said quickly. Proud of myself for remembering that I just had my birthday.

"So, you are almost a grown-up" he smirked at me while he knelt beside me.

"Yes! You are right, Mister! Sir! " I blurted out with much pride while I lifted my chin a little. Damn right, I was almost grown-up. Not only my stupid brother Michael, who wouldn't just shut up about the fact that he could now use the mind link.

The strange mister was brushing a loose strand of my hair behind my ear and smiled while nodding to himself. As I heard a strange sound, I tilted my head to look at my parents again.

It sounded a lot like a muffled sob. But why would mother sob right now? Before I had a chance to look her in the eyes, she is shushed by my father who was still standing like a statue. "Quiet, Love!" he whispered between gritted teeth.

I met the gaze of the huge man and took a few steps back. The nice man seemed far away like he had never existed. His eyes were furious and staring daggers into my mother. "You may leave now! " He bellowed through the hall. I flinched and hurried back downstairs where I was met with an embracing hug from my mom who seemed to not want to let go of me anymore.

The rest of the evening went by in a blur. At home, I was sent to my room as if I had done something bad but I couldn't wrap my head around it. I heard my mom scream at my dad, crying and begging him. I still didn't know what was wrong though. I tried to listen to what they were saying but it didn't make sense to me too.

"You can't let that happen!" Mom cried out loud throwing what sounded to be a plate against the wall.

„What choice do I have?" I could hear that dad was angry "Do you think I like the thought? That I want it to happen?" His voice nearly broke at the end and I frowned.

The next thing I know is that my mom rushed into my room and urged me to pack some clothes and everything that fits into the bag she had just thrown on my bed. To be honest, I was confused and a little scared of her, but I did as I was told. Not that she had ever hit me, she was always caring and loving. But it was simply too much to take in for one day. I knew little of what was to come...

It's dark now, so damn dark. My heart is pounding in my chest and I'm pretty sure it's not just me who can hear it. It's almost like it's about to jump out of my chest. Is that even a thing?

 My whole body is aching, my lungs are on fire. The way here - and I have no clue where here is - was long and exhausting. Michael ran most of the way and pulled me behind him, not minding my stumbling and falling over a few times. It has to be in the midst of the night, freezing cold, as usual in February and the only light we have is the moon reflecting from the snow-covered ground.

Close, very close, I can hear footsteps and press even closer to Michael. I can feel his quick breathing on my neck and can smell his fear.

"Where's Dad?" It's just a whisper that leaves my lips, a barely audible quiver but  a hand is quickly and painfully covering my mouth and I feel Michael straighten up a bit, pulling me closer to his chest.

"Not a peep," his voice echoes through my head. Of course, it was easier for him to communicate with me. He is already 14 and can mind link, like all werewolves from their 14th birthday on. I swallow my envy and the need to bite his hand.

Mom told me that sharing a mind link with a person is something very personal. You don't just do that with anyone. I don't quite understand why, but Mom said it's like going into a stranger's house without knocking first. You never know what you're going to find.

"Asshole" is the first thought that crosses my mind and I almost giggle. How stupid people react in such stressful situations.

The pervasive smell of moldy wood and old leaves almost seems to swallow us. I have no idea how long we've been sitting here like this, but my joints are stiff, and my fingers are numb from the cold.

I think about all of the things that have happened in the past few weeks and months. My parents whisper when they think we are asleep. The shorter and shorter visits from my family to the packhouse.

By now I can be happy if I get to see Sonja more than once a week. She is the Gamma's daughter, and we grew up together. She is my best friend in the whole world, not that there are many kids here or that I have many friends, to begin with.

 My dad is the Beta of our pack and is practically a celebrity here. We are at war for years now or we have been because since last year it is quieter and I assume we won, but nobody tells me anything. I'm only twelve. But I know that there is only one pack left in all of Iceland. The 'Blood Moon Pack' from Alpha Richard. And Alpha Richard is my dad's boss.

I hear people talk; they say things like "He lost it completely" but I don't understand what they mean by that. I know our Luna died a few years ago giving birth to their first baby, but you wouldn't call a Luna 'it', right? It's all very confusing.

A loud growl pulls me out of my thoughts and a lot of paws on the floor above us. Only now do I  understand that we have been sitting in a little old hunting shack. Very old... the way it smells. Michael's whole body becomes stiff, and he holds his breath, and only then do I realize that I do that too.

With a loud bang, the hatch above our head is torn open, bright moonlight, which is reflected from the snow, stabs me in the eyes and a scream escapes my lips as I am grabbed by my jacket and yanked away from my brother.

Then suddenly everything happens very quickly. I'm being dragged out of the hole and spun around, there are trees all around me and I can make out several dark shadows.

Wolves! They're wolves! So many wolves and a few men. It takes a few excruciatingly long seconds before I notice I am scratching and biting, kicking my legs, and thrashing around. It takes even longer before I realize that I am hearing my father's voice.

"It's all right Kate, I've got you" his voice is rough and thin. He sounds tired and exhausted and yet the grip on my waist is strong and steady. A battle rages around us. Werewolves as far as I can see and the sound of meat tearing, whimpering, and pleading. The smell of blood is heavy in the air and my stomach almost turns. Dad falls into a gentle run that tells me that our destination is a long way ahead.

"Run Beta, we'll buy you time!" It's a familiar voice I hear but I'm too tired to know who's calling out to my father. I hear Michael crying and panting, and I know he must keep up all by himself. I feel sorry for him because he must be just as tired as I am, and my heavy limbs could not carry me a hundred meters more.

I don't know how much time passes; I must have fallen asleep when I hear loud voices again that shake me from my dark dozing thoughts.

Screams. And suddenly, all the air drains from my lungs as I hit the ground, hard. I hear bones crack and I know someone shifts next to me.

I try to get up, but my body just won't do as I tell him to. I feel for the back of my head just to flinch at the shooting pain. There is something damp on my hand and in the moonlight I can just make out a thick deep red substance on my hand before the darkness engulfs me, cold and merciless.

Everything I know afterward is sketchy. I remember burning houses and the smell of smoke, strong arms that hold me, a choked woman's voice, a ship's horn, and whispers.

A lot of whispering actually.

It must have taken days to completely regain myself. Because the next thing I can remember very clearly is those blue eyes. I stare into the deep blue, deeper than any ocean, and where I once felt lost, I now feel at home and the only thing I can do is smile.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.4K 525 52
"Your love is the most precious thing in this world to me, Even death can't stop me from having it.. I'll never stop loving you, come what may." Bere...
450 22 18
After her sister died she was forced to grow up. To prepare for a title she never wanted and fulfill the expectations of her pack. As much as Samanth...
170K 5.9K 54
Highest ranking: #3 in Paranormal Forest Atlandria was ready for a new life. Being the princess of an underwater kingdom was growing utterly old, sh...
35.9K 525 8
HIS DESTINED MATE -- PUBLISHING He wasn't her mate, and she would never allow herself to be tied down to a man she could never love. She wanted a fa...