Joshaya one shots

By EGH15-01

This is just a bunch of one shots about Josh and Maya from girl meets world. I hope you enjoy them! More

Someday plan
Jealousy
Prom night
Hurricane
First kiss
Moving on?
Bad days
Strokes
"Come with me."
Family
Juilliard and boyfriends
doubts
Over protective
Pregnant
Secretly dating
Heartbreak
Secret admirer
Graduations and apartments
Over protective part 2
Secretly dating part 2
"Good In Goodbye
A/N. PLEASE READ!!
Speak now
Date interrogations
Agents life
Wake up call
Exhaustion
Road trip
Argument
Coming home late
Misunderstandings
"Mama's song"
"What I Never Knew I Always Wanted."
State of depression
Oh sweet memories
Miranda
He's my boss
Those sick days
A cry for help
Worth the wait
Josh's Topanga
He's my boss P2.
The green eye'd monster
Undercover
The Ride Home
Nightmares
Another story idea
After all these years
Right in front of me
You're the Bonnie to my Clyde
Can't Hold It In Anymore
The jock
The lives of Josh and Maya
This is just a dream
Cuddling
Acceptance letters
A/N Reminder IMPORTANT
Halloween
Pick up lines
Superman
After the breakup
Hide and Seek
Pillow fights
Tattoos
Elevators meetings
Taking a break
The letter
Anniversary
Maya's influences
Physical fight
IMPORTANT~ BIG IDEAS COMING UP
The Unexpected
Tears
Riany Days
Kick Boxing
Ghosts
Asking Her Out
Hospital Calls
Physically Hurt
The Big Day
Baby Protective
Hot Chocolate
Pouting
Tickle Fights
Baby Shopping
'I love you"
Senior Prank
Trust
Birthday's
"I Miss You"
Pregnancy
Vacation
Camping
Bets
Long Trips
Chick Flick
Sneaking Out
P.D.A
Dating Announcement
Josh's Shirt
Nicknames
Locked in a room
A/N Please read its important!
Starting A Family
Sleep Walking
Kiss Cam
Family Time
Empty Bed
Singing
RoofTops
Ex Girlfriends
Danger
Labor
Wisdom Teeth
School Dances
Puppy Dog Eyes
Gift Exchange
Dont Have A Cow
Wisdom Teeth ~ Josh
Soul Mates
Moving
Back to December
Makeup
Smile
Making up
Distractions
Sneaking in
Snowball fights
Valentines day
Run-inns
Clingy
Sleepover
Falling asleep
Jealous much?
Comfort
Inappropriate clothing
Cooking
Storms
Lazy days
Interceptions
New years
Kiss
College surprise
Sleep talking
Face timing
Cheating
Cuddling
The Sub
Insomnia
What a cute couple
Young Love
Proposal
Panic attacks
Christmas miracles
Christmas Romantics
Silent treatment
Emails I Cant Send
Blessing
Piece By Piece
Slow dancing
I want a Baby
Making Out
Another One Where She's Pregnant
BIG misunderstanding
Christmas Traditions
The Best Worst Party Ever
And Even More Parties
Broken
Moments
Inevitable
A Father's Observation
Party Exhaustion
One Step At A Time
Christmas Day
Issues
Chaperoning
Happy
Who's Pregnant?

If Only Someday

785 26 1
By EGH15-01

For this one we're going to pretend that Josh was there for all the big events and that Uriah didn't have his motorcycle accident.

P.S, I realize the timeline in this will probably not add up, but were going to pretend because it's a story. So just go with it.
Besides, I feel like the timeline with some of the episodes are really confusing anyway.

__________________________________

Turn it off. No expression, no emotion, no reaction. Turn it off.

This is what Maya Hart learned how to do at a young age. Never let them see you react, hide the tears, keep the cold stone expression on your face when you look them in the eyes. Don't let them see how you truly feel.

Be there for everyone else. Stand up and say something when someone you love is being attacked. Be a shoulder to cry on for them. Be the solution to all their problems. But never let them know you're the one that needs saving.

Be the superhero to everyone else's story, but be the only superhero in your own. Words she lived by. It was something she was good at, something she was known for. It was the main thing that made Joshua Matthew's start to notice her more.

The college party was the first instance that made him realize her feelings for him may have been bigger than really either of them realized. He had grown up in a house filled with love. His parents had one of the best love stories next to Cory and Topanga's. He knew what it looked like. But never had he heard someone speak about him so intently in the way that she had that night.

The things she said. The way she looked at him. The way his he felt after she had said them. The way it had scared him when he realized he brought up the three year age gap as a reminder to himself more than to her. His friends had realized it then, but he was still in denial. She couldn't possibly have such big feelings like that at her age. He was older and had more experience in the dating world, yet he still had never felt big feelings like that. It just wasn't logical at fourteen.

Then later on that night, when Maya had revealed that she had been the one to tell Cory and Topanga about the party, Josh realized that maybe he had been so determined to keep his eyes set on the age gap, that he didn't realize just how much they were both growing. Maya was changing in front of him, and he knew something inside of him was changing as well.

The first thought came to him when he started hearing about the whole year book couple thing of Lucas and Maya. Riley was visibly upset about her own category, and very clearly bothered over the fact her best friend got paired with the boy she'd always liked. He could hear the frustration in Maya's tone when she was venting about it one night at dinner.

Riley wouldn't come out of her room, and Maya had been trying for the last hour to get her to come to her senses. Josh listened as she told the story, saying how everyone in class was now talking about how she and Lucas would make a great couple with clear disgust in her tone.

It was a small thought, one that had slipped through his barrier before he could even realize that he thought it. 'Did she ever think about Lucas like that?'
Josh crushed it before it could become something bigger. So what if she did? It wasn't any of his business. And he avoided her gaze the rest of the evening as he focused on his plate in front of him.

There wasn't many things Maya was passionate about. But one thing that always stood out for her was her art. It was the best way she knew how to express herself. And she was good. Really good. Even Josh had to admit that on the rare occasion he saw something she drew or painted that he was awe of her talent. And when the school was taking away the art program, he remembered the feeling of slight pain that went through his chest at the thought of Maya having something she loved so much being taken away from her.

"Art is my escape. My ticket in life." She said quietly one night talking with Riley in her room. "It's the one thing that I've ever been good at. Without it, I have no future." Josh didn't mean to eavesdrop. He just happened to overhear from the open door in the hallway as he was walking past.

It was something else he had observed about Maya Hart. She didn't think very much about herself. She didn't see how amazing she was. She still looked in the mirror and saw that same broken five year old little girl that wasn't good enough. He hated it. He hated the way she viewed herself. He had always thought Maya to be an incredible person, so why couldn't she see it, too?

He noticed the way she tried to shrug it off like it was no big deal. As if anything she did or that was tied to her wasn't a big deal. It almost made him want to stand up and say something. "Art matters to you. And that's enough of a reason to try and save it." But he kept his mouth shut. Instead he stood in that room where the meeting was being held, and he watched on in support as they fought against the school bored. And he watched on with a small amount of pride and happiness as realization came across Maya's face that she won something. Something that she was passionate about that she got to keep.

Josh decided secretly that smile was one of his favorite things.

He noticed the protectiveness that she got when it came to her friends. When Riley was being bullied, Josh saw first hand just what type of best friend Maya was. Riley was angry and yelled at her, was mad at her. Maya took it on the chin and instead of being angry, she comforted her friend who she knew was just taking her anger out on her. "I'm glad that you felt safe enough to take it out on me."Maya had said. And Josh could see it. See how she was used to having things being taken out on her over the years. See how these things wouldn't bother her anymore.

Even though he could see the hurt in Maya's eyes. The way she would subtly flinch when Riley would say something. The gentle confusion about why she was saying these things. Maya never held it against her, and instead focused that anger on the person that was making Riley feel these things. He didn't know of many girls her age, and even older, that wouldn't hold a grudge for later. But not Maya. It was the way she would boost others up. Talk highly about her friends and somehow put herself down in the process.

It wasn't strange that he felt protective in the moment that he heard them talking about it. But it was strange that he felt protective for Maya and not Riley.

Then the triangle happened. And Josh remembered what it felt like when Riley told him over the phone that Maya liked Lucas and she was stepping back for them. It was weird. He remembered sitting on his bed in his dorm room, the words going over and over in his head.

"I guess that means you're off the hook. You should be happy about that." Riley joked lightly. But he could tell her heart wasn't in it, and to be honest, neither was his. "Maya's in denial. But I can tell, I know my best friend." Josh didn't say much for the rest of the conversation. He made sure Riley was okay before hanging up the phone and setting it down on his dresser.

Lucas and Maya wasn't so much of a reach. If it hadn't been for Riley's well known feelings for Lucas, he would have thought that it happened sooner. But he didn't expect it to bother him  so much. It was because of Riley, that's why. He told himself that it was his worry for his niece that caused the situation to bother him so much. That was the only logical explanation.

But then he was there the day her father came walking into Topanga's cafe, and he was there for the conversation and the look on her face when she walked back in after saying goodbye to him. He was there when she said she couldn't forgive him, and he was there when Cory asked if she had forgiven himself.

It was the first time Josh had ever seen her break like that. And from the expressions on everyone else's face, it was the first time they had ever seen her break like that as well. She was so used to holding everything together, never letting anyone see her true emotions.

"You don't have to say anything." She told him later when she looked like her old self again. Her eyes were red and puffy from the crying that she had been doing, but the wall that guarded her heart was up again and he didn't think even he would be strong enough to break it down again.

"I just wanted to see how you were feeling." He told her as everyone else around them fell into conversation by the couches while she leaned over the counter.

"I'm fine." She told him with a fake smile before looking down at the muffin that she was currently picking at. "I don't usually lose control like that. I'm sorry I did it in front of you."

"I'm not." He told her quietly. She didn't say anything and he cleared his throat. "So, you and Lucas, huh?" He changed the subject. He thought he might have seen some reaction towards the statement. A flush of the cheeks, a small smile. But instead, Maya simply took a deep breath almost as if in defeat.

"Apparently." She said. "Riley has it in her head that it's a possibility." Josh leaned casually against the counter with her, his own eyes straying to the pattern of the countertops.

"Is it?" He asked, her shoulders tensed. "I mean, do you really like him?" He hoped his voice sounded casual enough, maybe his feelings had been a bit confusing since he found out, but she didn't need to know that.

"I-" she hesitated to answer. Josh waited patiently, ignoring his niece's curious look she sent their way. "I don't know." She finished. "I like you," She said quietly. "That I'm sure of." Josh felt the same strange feeling come up into his stomach, he swallowed hard before straightening up.

"Well, that's good." He said. Her head snapped up at him. "That you might like Lucas, I mean." Her face fell, and he couldn't help but feel disappointed with himself as well. He let out a sigh. "I'm still too-"

"I know." Maya cut him off. "But it's not going to magically make my feelings for you disappear, Josh." He didn't say anything as she turned to fully face him. "I don't know exactly what I feel for Lucas, but what I do know is that no matter who I try to move on with, I'm still going to feel this way about you." He swallowed hard. It was hard for him to hear her say things like this.

"You should give Lucas a shot." He whispered. "If anything you owe it to yourself to see what else is out there."

"I would never hurt Riley like that." She told him. He nodded his head. She continued to stare at him with a look that he had caught himself thinking about over the last few weeks constantly.

"Maya, for what it's worth," He started. "I think you're worth sticking around for." She watched him as he said goodbye to everyone and made his way out of the cafe.
~

Just a couple of weeks after that was the New Year, and Maya wasn't the only one who was dreading the party Riley was throwing on her rooftop. Josh had tried to come up with multiple excuses to not go but every single one had been shut down by Topanga.

"I'm tired of this stupid love triangle." She told him. "You're coming!"

"But I'm not even involved. How is me being there going to help the situation?" He practically whined to her.

"Oh, you know!" She said. He sighed and accepted his fate. He showed up to the party a little late, so everything was already in full swing. He kept to himself mostly, talking with the adults in the kitchen area while keeping his eyes on the teenagers. Or one teenager, more of less.

He had spent the last two weeks fighting against himself hard. But it was no use, he knew it was a loosing battle the moment he tried to go on a date last weekend and found himself comparing everything about the girl to Maya. He liked her. He liked, liked her. He hated himself, more so because there was nothing he could do about it. He was seventeen, and she had just turned fifteen. So even though the age gap didn't seem like a big deal, in just a month and a half, he would be eighteen. And suddenly they would once again be three years apart and she would still be too young.

There was no denying it anymore, and if he didn't stop staring he knew that everyone else around him would figure it out as well. Topanga was already giving him glances, and though Cory wasn't the most observant person in the world, he knew it wouldn't take him long to figure it out either.

Maya had caught his glance a few times, she smiled at him, a nervous tight lipped smile. And he gave her one back before turning away and looking in a different direction. He couldn't tell her he liked her. Not right now, not while she was still trying to figure things out with Lucas. It wouldn't be fair. She deserved to live her life and go out with someone who wasn't held back by stipulations like they were. She deserved to see what else was out there, he wasn't going to ruin that for her by telling her about his newfound feelings. It would be selfish of him.

"Uncle Josh! Come play!" Riley called out to him. They had the couples game out and open on the table. He felt a sense of unease come up inside him.

"Actually, I think I may head out-" He started but Topanga cut him a look.

"Go play." She demanded. Josh glared at his sister in law, which he would think later was quite brave considering the circumstance, as he made his way over toward the group.

"If you want, you can be on my team. And Maya and Lucas are on a team." Riley said.

"Wouldn't that be weird considering he's your uncle?" Zay spoke up. Riley cut him a look.

"Of course not, It's just a game." She stated.

"Actually Zay's right. Wouldn't it make more sense if Josh and Maya were on a team together and you and Lucas?" Farkle asked from his place beside Smackle. Riley glared at Farkle, who matched her glare.

"Fine, I'll be on a team with Lucas then." Riley said. Maya looked up and avoided eye contact with Josh as she and Riley switched places. Lucas shifted uncomfortably and Riley made sure there was space between them as she sat down. "But it's just a game. It doesn't mean anything." Riley said and Lucas turned to look the other way. Maya sighed as she and Josh took their places beside each other on the couch. Their shoulders rubbed against each other's and both of them tensed at the touch.

Things had been tense all night. Apparently, Riley was giving Charlie Gardner a chance since she was pushing this whole thing with Maya and Lucas. It had been apparent to everyone, including Maya that Lucas had been jealous and trying to intervein at any given moment he could. There was a slight annoyance that ran through Josh every time he saw it, and slight sympathy for Maya.

How could Lucas claim to be so confused about his feelings when it was so obvious to everyone else who his feelings were for? He supposed Maya was used to liking people who didn't like her back, and he tightened his fists at the thought. Because it would be his luck that he would fall for a girl who not only he couldn't date at the moment but was also trying her best to move on.

"The first question is for us." Riley said as she reached down and grabbed a card from the deck. "What is your partner's favorite movie snack?" She read off. But before Lucas even had the chance to answer, Charlie Gardner spoke up causing everyone to snap their heads toward him.

"Something funny happens and she thinks she's laughed too hard she looks around the theater to see to see if anybody heard her. And if she thinks something scary's gonna happen she reaches out and grabs your arm-"

"-And she doesn't even know she did it." Lucas interrupted with a glare on his face. "That wasn't your question, Gardner, and it wasn't even the right question!" Charlie puffed his chest out causing Josh and Maya to share an amused look with one another.

"Gummies." He stated.

"Yeah, but w-" Lucas started but Charlie cut him off.

"Red."

"Yeah, but wh-"

"She bites their heads off first so they feel less pain." Riley's eyes widened and Maya had to bite her lip to keep from feeling the awkward tension in the air.

"He's like a creepy, creep-creep!" Lucas exclaimed, Maya turned toward him.

"Why you interested?" She asked. Josh had to swallow down the harsh feeling he got thinking about why she cared he was interested.

"I'm not!" Lucas exclaimed in defense. The look on everyone's face clearly stated they knew better.

"Okay, Josh you want to pick a card for us?" Maya asked. Josh simply reached forward and grabbed the card from the stack.

"How would you describe your personality? Library or campfire." Josh read the question so causally and didn't even have time to process it before it was ripped out of his hands. He looked over to see Lucas stuffing the card into his mouth and chewing on it nervously. "Dude," He laughed lightly with a slight shocked look. Maya cleared her throat.

"Okay, It's just a game." She said as she reached over and grabbed the stack out of Josh's hands to get a card. "Is it possible to love two people at the same time." This time, she was the one to shift uncomfortably, causing her shoulders to brush against Josh's. Josh felt warmth spread through him at her touch, and then watched in amusement as Maya now was the one to stick the card into her mouth.

He looked between Maya and Lucas, the both of them avoiding one another's eye contact as Maya stared at the ground. He had never seen two people so awkward around one another as they had been towards each other the whole night.

"Our turn." Smackle said as she reached over Josh and grabbed the deck from Maya, pulling it towards her and Farkle. "What's your partners most ticklish place on their body?" She read. Josh couldn't help but snort.

"How would the two of you know anything about th-" But he cut himself off when Smackle reached behind Farkle and started tickling his neck. He watched for a few seconds as he spasmed out and then blinked a few times before getting up off the couch. "I think I've had enough of this game for one night." He stated. Maya looked up at him briefly before looking away again.

"It's almost midnight anyway!" Riley announced. "It's time to go to the roof anyway."

"You know what happens at midnight, don't you Riley?" He asked. She glared at him. Riley then grabbed Farkle by his arm and pulled him out the door and toward the stairwell. Everyone else waited a moment before following.

Later on that night, while everyone was on the roof, Josh had noticed that there was a specific blond who was missing from the array of others. Charlie Gardner had ended up sitting with Auggie on a bench, and Lucas and Riley had gravitated towards one another over on the other side of the roof away from everyone else.

It was a strange feeling, Josh remembered thinking to himself. He wanted his niece to be happy, and he wanted Maya to be happy. But not if it came to the cost of the other's happiness. Standing there and seeing his niece with that light in her eyes as she talked to Lucas, he could see it in Lucas's eye, too. And with a pain he realized that Maya didn't hold a chance with Lucas. Not when he and Riley were looking at each other like that, even if they didn't realize they were.

He made his way back downstairs and into the Matthew's apartment which was now empty. He walked down the hall and gave a soft knock on Riley's door that was cracked open. He didn't think Maya would skip out on the party and head home. She wasn't the type to do that without saying goodbye at least. But when there was no answer, he thought that may have been what she did as he opened the door wide enough to walk through and look.

He saw that the window was open out to the fire escape, and when he poked his head out, sure enough Maya was sitting just a few steps higher with her knees drawn to her chest. She was facing out toward the city, you could still see the ball from a distance. Josh climbed through the window and sat down next to her.

"Why aren't you on the roof?" He asked. She smiled slightly without looking at him.

"Why aren't you on the roof." She repeated back to him.

"Looking for you." He admitted. "I hate to admit it, but a party's kind of dull without you hanging around." He joked. She laughed slightly, keeping her gaze on the city lights. They fell into a silence for a moment before he looked over at her. "What's up?" He asked softly. She took a deep breath.

"Do you think it's possible?" She repeated the question from earlier. "To love two people at the same time?" Ah, he thought. So she was still thinking about the game earlier. He didn't say anything at first, wishing he knew the answer but quickly admitted defeat.

"I don't know." He said. "I'd like to believe that love is as simple as looking at one person and knowing they're you're person. But love isn't simple at all." She shook her head.

"No, it isn't." With a sigh she turned toward him to look at him. "I'm a terrible friend." Josh raised an eyebrow at her before letting out a small scoff.

"You are a lot of things," He lightly joked. "But a terrible friend isn't one." He finished seriously.

"Then explain to me how I could do this to Riley." She said. "These feelings that I'm having for Lucas. How is it possible that I can like the same guy my best friend does?"

"We can't help who we fall for, Maya. It just happens." She shook her head.

"Not to me. I have never even thought about Lucas in that way before. I tease him all the time, and I know he's a great guy. But he's a great guy for Riley. And it wasn't until recently, almost like it was over night, that I started thinking about him like that." She explained. "My feelings just never come out of no where like this." Josh swallowed hard. Why couldn't they? That's what had happened to him.

"Part of growing up is sometimes realizing that your feelings grow up with you. Maybe you used to not think of Lucas that way, but-"

"Stop." She cut him off. "Stop doing that." He stayed quiet. "I'm not a kid that woke up one day and just realized she had feelings. I've been in tune with my self a lot longer than you think."

"I didn't mean to imply that you hadn't been." He whispered. She looked torn. Like she didn't know whether she should say what was on her mind or not. As Josh opened his mouth to ask, she abruptly turned to face him cutting him off. Her face with a determined expression.

"I'm going to say something, and I need you to not freak out." She told him. He took a shaky breath, he realized what she was about to say, but he wasn't sure if he could handle it. Not with his own new realizations to his feelings for her. "When it comes to these sort of things, these feelings. There has only been one thing that I am absolutely sure of." She stared straight into his eyes, and it was intimidating, because for the first time Josh was realizing just how strong her feelings for him were. "You." She said. "I like you, I've always liked you. And no matter how much time goes between me seeing you again, these feelings don't fade, they only get stronger. Even now, with all of these new feelings I find myself having and all the confusion that comes with it. You are still the only thing that stands out as the one thing I know to be true."

Josh stared at her as she spoke, her expression never wavering, her tone firm and factual. She knew what she was talking about, and she knew it to be true. Instead of feeling uncomfortable or panicked like he usually did when she said things like this, it made him feel... fulfilled. Cherished, almost. It was strange, how could he have not seen her until just recently?

"I don't expect you to say anything," she said. "This is just how I feel inside, I don't understand how it's possible." She whispered more to herself then to him. Is it possible to love two people at the same time? Now he got it. Josh didn't say anything, what could he say? How could he even begin to give her advise when he didn't quite understand it himself?

Josh shifted to where he was mirroring her posistion, his knees brought up to his chest, his arms crossed over his legs. He stared out at the city lights with her, their shoulders brushing up together every time one of them moved even slightly. "You owe it to yourself to be happy, Maya." He said after a minute of silence. "And rather that's with Lucas or not, you deserve to give yourself a chance to find out."

The ball started to drop, they could hear the countdown from the roof above as people started chanting. The two of them sat quietly, keeping their eyes trained in front of them. Maya was confused, and Josh felt defeated. There was nothing he could do, not now. Besides, it would be selfish of him, to tell her about how he felt now that there was a chance she could move on. And even if she didn't, there was still their age gap. College and High school, two completely different worlds. No, it was better this way. It had to be.

"Happy New Year, Josh." She said from beside him. He turned to look at her, and she smiled slightly at him.

"Happy New Year, Maya." He responded with the same slight smile that she had. They stared at each other for a moment, knowing that they should get up and start heading back up to the roof. But neither of them moved, and as they both looked back over at the city lights, Josh found himself being glad that it was him sitting next to her.
~

It wasn't until a few weeks later when Josh realized just how serious the situation had become. No longer was it just her feelings that Maya was confused about, but now her entire identity was in question. He watched as she grew more and more frustrated with herself. "I don't know who I am anymore." She said as she shook her head at him one day when they found themselves talking right outside of the Matthew's apartment.

Maya had been leaving and he had been coming. They crossed paths in the hall, and Josh smiled at her as he greeted her. Sure he had noticed that she'd been dressing differently lately, and maybe she hadn't been acting like she once had. But high school did that to people. Changing looks and growing yourself wasn't anything new. But this seemed to be something else entirely.

"Since when did having feelings for someone suddenly become responsible for changing yourself completely?" He asked her. She shook her head.

"I don't know." She told him. "I don't know anything anymore." He could hear the frustration in her voice. "I like a guy that never in my life would I ever dream of having feeling for, I'm dressing in a way that's exactly the same way as my best friend, I'm doing things that other me would never have dreamed of doing. And the problem is all these things are suddenly appealing to me. I have never been appealed to the way Riley dresses or the type of boys she attracts. How is it possible that I'm loosing myself like this?"

"Maya-"

"I'm sorry, Josh. I got to go." She didn't wait for him to respond before she moved past him and down the hall. He watched her go, his urge to stop her being pushed down by the calculating thoughts in his head. Dressing like Riley? Liking the same guy as Riley? Becoming more like Riley? How was that possible?

So Josh did what he did best, he watched. He observed. He stayed quiet as Maya and Riley did their best to figure these things out. And as Maya slowly started to find herself, there was a part of him that was really hoping that with that maybe came realizing that she didn't actually have feelings for Lucas. But, as things seemed to become more settled with her, she still seemed to be confused. And it was as if the three of them had fallen into a pattern of this triangle, or whatever the hell you wanted to call it.

It was exhausting to watch, but this was their thing to work out, it wasn't his place to but in. Not unless they asked. And if Maya wanted to give things a try with Lucas, then who was he to object to that? He didn't have the right. No matter what his feelings for her were, it just wouldn't have been fair to her. He continued to remind himself of this as the weeks went by. And it was why when Topanga invited him to go with them on the ski lodge trip, he said no. But then of course, he wasn't going to tell Topanga why he didn't want to go, and she wouldn't take any excuses he gave, so this was why he found himself on the bus with the rest of the class riding to the ski lodge that next weekend.

He watched and he observed them through the weekend. But there was something... different about Maya. Now that she was back to her self, her interactions with Lucas weren't like the ones she had before. And the answer hit him like a ton of bricks, and he felt satisfaction run through him, as if he had figured out a huge mystery that the rest of the world was still trying to figure out. And he also felt relieved. Selfishly relieved.

But now that he had this information, what the hell did he do with it? He stayed back, let the situation unfold on itself. He actually found it quite amusing now that things had started to fall into place. He didn't find himself feeling the fire burn in the pit of his stomach when he thought about Lucas and Maya together. And what was more amusing was the teasing smile on Maya's face whenever she saw Lucas get jealous over Riley and she didn't even realize it.

It was bad, really bad for him. To be sitting here and talking with her like this. To be admitting everything he realized through his skill of observation. It would have been better for him to keep letting her believe she thought she liked Lucas. Because then maybe she would really have moved on and forgotten about him. Maybe then he wouldn't be confronted with his feelings that he had tried so hard to bury down these last few months.

But then she reminded of him of all the reasons he fell for her in the first place. Her kindness, her loyalty, her own selflessness. The way she put everyone else first and didn't think twice about her own feelings. How amazing of a friend she was. And once again he realized just how fucked he was.

"To think that I don't need a friend like you in the world, just because I'm a little older? That would make me a lot less mature than I want to be." He told her. She stared at him, as if to say 'duh'. He smiled slightly.

"You know, Boing." And here it comes, he thought with a chuckle. "There are six weeks out of the year between our birthdays where we're only two years apart. Like, I don't know," she looked at her fake watch on her wrist. "Right now!" He couldn't help but laugh. "So how about this, we hold hands six weeks out of the year. I'll take it!"

"We can do that." He nodded. Her eyes widened in surprise. "Or how about I like my idea better." She swallowed hard. "You once said you were playing the long game."

"I like you, Josh." She once again admitted, the seriousness back in her tone. "It's you I like." And he knew that now. And so did she. And that look of determination, of hope, was back on her face. And he couldn't stop himself. He couldn't deny it any longer.

"I like you, too." He said it as if it were a big weight being lifted off his shoulders. "And I would never want you to not be in my life." It was a big thing to admit. But it was true. "So, how about we try this-"

"Boyfriend and girlfriend right now!"

"No."

"Boyfriend and girlfriend eventually!"

'No,' was on the tip of his tongue, wanting to slip out, if anything as a reflex. But he couldn't say no. Because he realized he didn't want the answer to be no. He wanted to explore the possibility of a future relationship with Maya. It was obvious that he wasn't the only one surprised by his lack of answer, she turned her head, surprise written all over her face as her smile got bigger.

"You're not saying no," she teased. "You have to say something." He could feel his face flush as he ran his hand over it, as if he could somehow wipe the blush off his face before she saw it.

"I'll play the long game." He told her, his voice cracking. "You live your life, I'll live mine. I know you're out there, and I'm out there, too."

"That's your deal?" She asked.

"That's my deal." He told her. Then as if it would seal their deal, he held his hand out. "Someday?" He asked. She stared at his hand for a moment, clearing her throat and composing herself.

"Someday." She said, taking his hand in hers.

It wouldn't happen today. It probably wouldn't happen in the next five years. But maybe, one day, it would. Maybe one day, when they were older, they would run back into each other, and those feelings would still be there. Maybe they would get the chance to see where it goes. Someday.
_____________________________________

I honestly don't know what the fuck this was. It was supposed to start out as just a short sweet one shot but then it just turned into something else... but honestly, I put way too much time in it to scrap it. So hopefully y'all enjoyed it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

81.9K 1.8K 38
🚔 The ride along that will change the game forever 🚔 Maya Hunter is counting down the days until graduation with university right in the rearview b...
5.2K 149 24
Maya was heading home one night when she bumps into a girl. That girl being Ryan James. Armed with an oversized leather jacket and a camera, Ryan dec...
212K 4.6K 62
♡ "I'll play the long game" ♡ It's been a year since Josh said these words to Maya. In the days since Maya has tried to ignore the ache in her heart...
84.2K 1.2K 11
A few short stories of Josh and Maya's relationship. Some ups and some downs Please follow so you can get updates as the stories progress. I do not o...