Dandelions | Yuki Ishikawa

By NikkieKnickKnack

After her parents died in a car accident, Mio was forced to move with her grandmother from Okinawa to Okazaki... More

Disclaimer
Four Eyed Freak
Call Me Yuki
Nagoya
Tall, Scrawny, Smart and Cute
Pretty
Sports Day
Go Out With Me?
Meet Kasumi
I Messed Up
Cold Christmas
Cancer
Tutor
Sleep With Me
Sick
Friendly Visit
We're going out?
You.. What?
What Have I Done?
What about my ice cream?
Ice Cream
Love at First Sight
Hen Party
Thinking Out Loud
Euphoria
It's You
Masa & Yuki
Karma is a B*tch
Guilty
One Day
Covid
Time Apart
Cupcakes
Flour
Comfort
Truth or Dare
Not When You're Drunk
Failing to Protect
Against All Odds
Failure
It's Blinding
Little Peanuts
Uncle Yuji
All is Well
Bonding with the Ishikawa Twins

Scared

1.4K 35 3
By NikkieKnickKnack

Yuki's POV...

Scared. That was the first thing I felt when Mio told me that we're expecting. Confused. How? She was on the pill and I've seen her take it everyday when we're together, but like condoms, they're not 100% effective. What are the chances that we're part of that certain percentage where it doesn't work?

I honestly did not know what to say. I was surprised. I wasn't expecting the news. I just... What about volleyball? Her career? We're not even married yet. We don't even have a wedding date. How far along is she? Is it even mines? Of course, it is... what am I saying...

So many things and questions going through my head that I didn't acknowledge her feelings. She must be terrified after finding out, not knowing how I would react. I didn't know how or what to feel about it. Am I going to be a good father? I need time to process this... news...

The second time we had a conversation about it, she dropped another new...

TWINS

I just.. I just got around to finally accepting that we're having a baby and now she's telling me that they're twins... It's just news after news and not having enough time to fully take all of it in. She sent me a picture of the sonogram and there it was... two blobs... She likes to call them little peanuts. She said she was 9 weeks pregnant. I did the calculation in my head and figured that we conceived them sometime during the AVC more or less... We got into an argument after I accidentally said that they're mines... Of  course they are, I was so... needy during that time and basically had her almost every night and I know for a fact that she didn't cheat on me.

We screamed at each other and I didn't even realize that I was stressing her out until mama took the phone from her and lectured me.

"Yuki! I did not raise you treat someone like that" she hissed, "How are you to yell at someone who's pregnant with your children?! She's already stressed enough as it is and here you are yelling at her! Why don't you put yourself in her shoes and see how hard it is for her to be handling this alone without you here"

"I... I don't know what's gotten into me. I'm just stressing out over this and.. I don't know.." I excused... lame excuse. Me, stressed out? I can only imagine how Mio's feeling...

"Get your head out of the gutter and think about what you just did. Grow up. Yuki. You're going to be a father soon and Mio and the twins deserves more than what you're showing right now" She hung up on me. Mama has never been that angry at any of us.

Mio didn't deserve to be yelled at like that. I was out of line... how will I make it up to her? Fuck. I messaged Lee-san to get some advice on.. uhmm.. fatherhood since he recently just had a baby. He said he was available for to talk, so I called him.

"Ishikawa-san" he greeted on the phone.

"Lee-san, how are you?"

We talked for a bit, catching up before asking him what's it like being a father.

"Congratulations on the baby," I started, "how is it being a father and all?"

"It's... difficult, but my wife has been amazing, I don't know how she does it after carrying him for 9 months. That itself was another hurdle" he said.

He explained how his wife was so amazing at taking care of him and his son even after giving birth. How she's never out of energy and will always make sure that both of them are fine. He told me that men can never compare to what women can do especially when it comes to their children.

"Did it affect your.. uhmm... volleyball?" I asked.

"It was difficult to manage at first, scheduling and all, making sure that I'm spending enough time with the family, but it's doable if you put enough effort. Why are you so curious?"

"I... I got engaged to Mio before leaving for Italy and we are currently expecting... twins"

"Congratulations! and twins! How is she doing?"

"She's doing well, my mother is keeping an eye on her... but it hasn't really... sunk into me yet. I don't know how to feel about it..."

I heard him sigh, he probably wasn't expecting for me to say that.

"Ishikawa-san, I would be surprised as well, if I were in your position, but kami has blessed you not one but two bundles of joy. Take it as a sign that you're doing something good. You'll probably need time to process all this, but remember, Fujioka-san is dealing with so much more. She'll have a higher risk of having complications and it's not easy being pregnant then double that... She's going to need all the support she could get.."

"I know... I just... I just don't want to have to choose between volleyball and them.."

"Did she ask you to choose?"

"No... I'm at the peak of my career and I just... I don't know..."

"Why don't you take a breather and think things through. Here's what I can tell you though... volleyball can only make you happy at a certain degree... wait until you meet them and then you'll feel what true happiness is like"

I thanked him for listening to me and for giving me some advice. I'll have to take some time to myself to prepare for this... fatherhood. I need to process everything. I have to make sure I'm mentally, emotionally, and physically prepared for this next chapter of my life.

That's what I did.. I read articles and books about pregnancy and childbirth and fatherhood. I got so into it that I was losing sleep and completely ignored the reason why I was doing it. I wasn't myself... I was grumpy the majority of the day, but I try to hide it during practice and during matches. I can't let this affect my game.

We had another argument.. and probably the biggest argument we've had regarding this situation. I called her to check up on her after a match..  we lost that match and I wasn't up for any small talk or anything. I said things I didn't mean to say and hurt her. She was calm about it, I guess she's had enough of me and the way I was handling this...

I stopped receiving updates from her regarding her health, the pregnancy, and the twins. I should be punished for all my actions.. she didn't deserve how I treated her... What is wrong with me!?!?!

Days... weeks... months passed by. Mama would send me occasional updates. I found out that we're having a boy and a girl when mama sent me a picture of the sonogram with their genders and that the twins' heartbeats  were strong and they seem to be healthy, at that point at least. I called Mio when she asked me if I was available at one point. She asked if she should move out before I get back from Italy. Why would she move out? She told me she wasn't sure if I'll be fine having baby supplies in the apartment. Of course I'll be fine with that. That's our home. It's not what I said though... I told her that she can stay as long as she wants since I won't be around much due to VNL... another excuse... it's not until August-September.

I keep making mistakes one after the other and it's just piling up on me. How am I going to make it up to her? She probably hates me by now... I'm surprised she hasn't ended the engagement yet or is she waiting for me to end it? Fuck.

Mama sent me a video of her on the couch watching a replay of our Olympic matches. She was rubbing her tummy, it was big.. of course... she was carrying twins.

"I hope you two will grow up and be as athletic as your dad and lead your own team in the Olympics" she said.

"Ooh.." her face scrunched up a bit and mama asked if she was fine. She lifted her shirt up and I could see them moving inside her.

"I'll take that as yes to being an athlete" she told them as they moved around more.

"They're very active aren't they" mama said.

"They are. I had them listen to one of Yuki's interview and they seem to react to it"

"They know their papa's voice" mom commented.

Mio smiled and nodded.

I would rewatch this video over and over to help me relax. I have never been more excited to go back home. I just want to feel her in my arms... be there for her when she gives birth. Hold the twins. I need to be with her. I should have been with her this entire journey...

The moment the season ended I booked a flight back home. It's May and she's due soon... I'm not sure when the exact date is, but it's between May and June... The flight back was unnerving.

Something doesn't feel right. Something's wrong.

When I landed back to Japan, there were some press already waiting. I don't have time for this. I quickly gave them a greeting and made my way to a car waiting for me. My phone was vibrating... I looked at it and it was mama. She left multiple messages, missed calls...

I called her back.

"Mama?"

"Where have you been?!"

"I just got out of the airport, I'm in Japan now. What's wrong?" worry was setting in. I knew something wasn't right and mama's worried voice confirmed it.

"Good, head to the hospital immediately! I'm sending you the address now"

I had my manager send my belongings to the apartment as I raced to the surgery floor with my hood up and mask on. Mama was in the waiting area pacing back and forth, worried.

"Mama" I called out.

She looked up, relieved that I'm finally there. She gave me a hug as I got to her. I have a million questions but none of them seem to come out of my mouth...

"Ma.. I.. what's.."

"Baby boy is in distress when the doctor checked her earlier... they rushed her in the operating room for a c-section.."

"How long ago was that?"

"Almost 2 hours ago.."

I went ahead and checked with someone at the nurse's station to see if we can get an update. She called someone on the phone and said that someone will be out to update us. Just as she said, about 5 minutes later, a doctor came out, looking exhausted.

"Update regarding Fujioka-san?" I asked.

"Ah yes..."

I didn't like the tone of his voice. Did something go wrong? Are they fine?

"The twins are alright and are currently being prepared to go to the nursery. You will be able to visit them in about 30 minutes or so.." he informed us, "regarding Fujioka-san..."

There was a long pause. It looks like he's trying to find the right words on how to break the news...

"She's still in surgery. There were some complications with baby 1 earlier... Placenta abruption, that's why she was rushed in to get a c-section since baby 1 was in distress. She has also lost too much blood... they are currently working on getting the bleeding to stop. If not, we will need to do a complete hysterectomy to save her"

The twins are safe, good... but Mio... she's still fighting for her life. Hysterectomy? That means she.. we can't have children anymore if that happens.. but if it's the only way to save her..

"We will keep you updated as much as possible" he then went back inside, through the double doors that leads them to the surgical department.

We waited for another hour before 2 doctors came out. They look serious, too serious for my liking. They were just wearing their scrubs now, out of their surgical suit. Mama held my hand tightly as we waited for the news...

"As stated earlier, Fujioka-san had some complications with baby 1 who has been delivered and in healthy. Baby 2 was delivered a few minutes after that..." the other doctor started, who mama said was her doctor.

Then the other doctor stepped up..

"She lost a lot of blood and we had to do   some blood transfusion... and..."

==================================
A/N: RAN'S GOING TO ITALY!!!

As always, thank you for all your support, comments, follows, and votes!! I really appreciate them all!

Take care and see you guys on the next chapter!!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19K 477 30
A career woman, divorcee and a single mom falls in love with a celebrity volleyball player, Yuki Ishikawa.
341K 8.8K 48
(Y/N) and Kageyama grew up together and were good friends. In middle school (Y/N) 's father passed away in an accident, and she isolated herself from...
8.6K 295 15
"๐ด๐‘Ÿ๐‘’ ๐‘ฆ๐‘œ๐‘ข ๐‘ ๐‘ข๐‘Ÿ๐‘’ ๐‘ฆ๐‘œ๐‘ข ๐‘‘๐‘–๐‘‘๐‘›'๐‘ก ๐‘“๐‘Ž๐‘™๐‘™ ๐‘–๐‘› ๐‘™๐‘œ๐‘ฃ๐‘’ ๐‘ค๐‘–๐‘กโ„Ž โ„Ž๐‘’๐‘Ÿ?" "๐ˆ๐ซ๐ซ๐ž๐ฌ๐ข๐ฌ๐ญ๐ข๐›๐ฅ๐ž" a short fanfic story about the Ishikawa...