Mates Minis

By smurfyphantom06

Short stories compiled from some of the characters you've grown attached to throughout the Mates Series. Cha... More

Welcome
Table of Contents
Part One: Frank's Fate
Ch. 1
Ch. 2
Ch. 3
Ch. 4
Ch. 5
Ch. 6
Ch. 7
Ch.8
Ch.9
Ch. 10
Ch. 11
Ch. 12
Ch. 13
Ch. 14
Ch.15
Ch. 16
Ch. 17
Ch. 18
Ch. 19
Ch. 20
Part Two: The Beta's Mate
Ch. 1
Ch. 2
Ch. 3
Ch. 4
Ch. 5
Ch. 6
Ch. 7
Ch. 8
Ch. 9
Ch. 10
Ch. 11
Ch. 12
Ch. 13
Ch. 14
Ch. 15
Ch. 16
Ch. 17
Ch. 18
Ch. 19
Ch. 20
Part Three: Red Hot
Ch. 1
Ch. 2
Ch. 3
Ch. 4
Ch. 5
Ch. 6
Ch. 7
Ch. 8
Ch. 9
Ch. 10
Ch. 11
Ch. 12
Ch. 13
Ch. 14
Ch. 15
Ch. 16
Ch. 17
Ch. 18
Ch. 19
Ch. 20
Part Four: Caged Bird
Ch. 1
Ch. 2
Ch. 3
Ch. 4
Ch. 5
Ch. 6
Ch. 7
Ch. 8
Ch. 9
Ch. 10
Ch. 11
Part Five: Blood Bound
Memories Pt-1
Ch. 1
Ch. 2
Ch. 3
Memories Pt-2
Ch. 5
Ch. 6
Memories Pt- 3
Ch. 7
Ch. 8
Ch. 9
Ch. 10
Ch. 11
Memories Pt- 4
Ch. 12
Ch. 13
Memories Pt-5
Ch. 14
Ch. 15
Ch. 16
Memories Pt-6
Ch. 17
Ch. 18
Ch. 19
Memories Pt-7
Ch. 20

Ch. 4

738 50 2
By smurfyphantom06

Yvonne's Story 
Blood Bound
Chapter Four: Memory Lane

{ Yvonne }

I was a ball of nerves the next morning.

My wolf was beyond antsy and wanted to go for a run so badly, but I refused. In fact I holed myself up in the hotel room until I knew it would be time for me to leave. The last thing I needed was to run into anyone right now, not with the way I'm feeling...on edge, anxious...almost like I was in a rush for something but I didn't have anything to rush towards.

I went down for breakfast and saw a couple of people, some of them even came up to me.

"It's so good to see you back in town Yvonne." Heather, a girl I was on the Cheer squad with in high school said.

"I'm only dropping in to bug my brothers." I tried to play it cool.

"And your mate?" She asked.

"Oh he was called away for work, that's actually why I came...with him gone for a while I figured I could come and check in on my family, get to know the new Luna some and just catch up."

She smiled, "Alpha Trace's mate is doing a great job so far."

"I love to hear that...It's definitely not an easy role to fill but I have every confidence in her and my brother running this pack smoothly."

"I think they're exactly what we need." She added.

I took a sip of my orange juice. Not really knowing if she was trying to rub in the fact that she knew Peter and I made a scene about titles and were immediate turned down by my Dad, The council, and Trace.

Or if she ws just a suck up and thought I'd talk he rup to Trace and Valerie.

Eitherway, it made me uncomfortable and I'd wish she'd leave.

She sighed and shook her head, getting more comfortable in her seat, clearly no sign to leave anytime soon. "It's just so surreal...you being here, Maddox Cree moving back, it sort of feels like old times a bit."

"I didn't realize he'd come back." I lied.

"I assumed your brother would've told you?" She wondered aloud suspiciously.

"I'm surprising them, that's why I stayed here last night instead of the pack house." I said as if it should've been obvious.

She blushed a little, "Of course...I hadn't even stopped to consider it, I'm sorry."

"No apologies needed." I said feeling a little guilty now. "So how long has Mads been back?"

"Only just, about a week now...But he's settling quickly, Do you remember Krista Vaughn?"

I nodded, "Yeah her parents use to let her have all those sleepover for the whole squad."

She laughed a little, "Which you never went to."

I blushed now but smirked to save face "And here I thought I was being discreet."

She chuckled, "To be honest, we use to all try and figure out who you'd been sneaking off with...a couple of us though it might've been Mads, but it never stuck since back then because he was, you know..."

"No, know what?" I asked.

"He's gay, or was..." she said shaking her head now, "Or maybe he's bisexual."

I laughed so hard I started tearing up. "He isn't gay, and he's never been anything but straight."

"Sure fooled all of us, I mean he never so much as flirted with any of us girls and trust me, we all tried...and then the fact that he only hung around...-"

She caught herself, but it was too late, I was already seething...for one those skanks literally flirted with my man, (of course they didn't know...but something tells me, they'd of still flirted with him regardless), and for two...she was insinuating my brother may have been gay.

As if I would care, I'd love Max no matter what...but I knew him, and he wasn't.

"I'm sorry, I'm not trying to insinuate Maxwell was gay." She quickly tried to amend. "I mean we knew he wasn't...what with all the girls he talked to.

Now she was saying he was basically a man-whore.

I shook my head, "Just because a guy didn't hit on you doesn't make him gay...maybe he was simply being respectful, maybe he had a girlfriend, or maybe he was just waiting for his mate."

She nodded. "Anyways, Krista is his real estate agent and got him a really good deal on the old Briggs place."

"That's kind of far out there." I commented as I remembered the home well. A nice big house that was built right on the edge of the pack lands. "But a good home to fill with a family."

"Krista said she met him alone."

I shrugged. "I know he found his mate in college...she was probably just with his parents."

She nodded, "I should get back to work...but it's really good seeing you again, we'll have to go out or something while you're here."

"As fun as that sounds, I'm really at my brother's disposal this weekend."

She understood and finally left.

'I've never liked her.' My wolf said.

I sighed, "yeah, well you only had to deal with her for a year and a half...meanwhile I've known her my whole life...I can't believe she thought Maddox was gay." I said under my breath as I all too easily recalled the way we use to be all over each other.

I sighed heavily, "Seems like another lifetime ago."

...

As I drove down the all too familiar road I felt more vulnerable than ever.

"Depending on how tonight goes...They could banish me from the pack."

'These are our brothers, they wouldn't.'

"They may be Trace and Ryder but they're also Alpha and Beta now...and first and foremost the pack comes first, not family...Dad taught us that."

Our Dad was never the most obvious with his caring for us, I mean sure he was always there for us when we needed him, he was a solid figure in our lives...but he pulled back on forms of affection and compliments after Mom passed.

But when Max was taken from us...he became cold, controlling...In his own way I'm sure he loved us and cared about our overall wellbeing. But he was never the same, and that's who Trace had to watch and model his own Alpha role after.

Occassionally our Father's warmth would seep through the cracks, like the night of my shift and at my wedding...but those moments were few and far between.

I hope he doesn't copy that coldness.

'Trace is a better man.'

"I'd like to think so." I sighed, "But the fact is I haven't really known my brother since I was a teenager.

'Remember him as he was then, and amplify it to fit the man he is now.'

I nodded, even though Trace had always been a stoic sort of kid, at the end of the day he was kind, and warm, and always beyond helpful toward those around him. He was also so affectionate and protective with Morgan when she was little.

'Plus, if worse comes to pass and things do go south like you're dreading....I think we would have the Luna in our corner and Morgan, maybe even Zoe.'

I nodded and could see the pack house coming into view, "I need to relax."

'Yes you do...I've got your back.' She added before going silent as we drove up the long drive way.

I took a deep breath as I put my car into park and watched as my brother Trace opened the door and looked at me, His lovely mate right next to him as they exited, followed immediately by Zoe and Ryder.

I couldn't get a read on them just yet but knew I had to get off the car and at least say hi.

As I let myself out of the car Trace smiled now and my heart eased at once.

He greeted me with a tight hug and warm words of my arrival before Ryder did the same. We were instantly inside the house now and the introductions to the mates began as Ryder went back out to get my bags...I guess I'm staying.

"Yvonne," Trace said, causing me to pull out of my hug with Zoe. "I'd like to introduce you to my Mate, Valerie Carson." He said proudly.

I smiled a little, I knew I could trust the Luna

"Luna Carson," I acknowledged as I bowed my head. "It is a pleasure to have you presented to me...or me presented to you."

I got tongue tied and messed up our first introduction... but I laughed a little as this wasn't our first meeting, not really.

"Sorry, I'm trying not to put my foot in my mouth." I admitted.

"No worries," Valerie said sweetly, "And please no Titles...it's just Valerie or Val."

I nodded and smiled, I remember she had asked me to call her that yesterday too.

Just then Ryder walked in with my bags and moved to take them up to my old bedroom.

"Oh...I really don't want to put you out." I said as I tried to protest my staying here just in case Trace didn't feel comfortable with me staying here just yet.

"Nonsense, you're always welcome here." Valerie said.

"This is your home." Trace added with a soft smile. "More so, you are my sister, you never need to have an invitation to stay here."

I wanted to cry just hearing his tenderness.

I had worried for nothing.

Being surrounded by lying, scheming Weres since I moved with my mate I'd grown adapt to that behavior and expected to find it in everyone now...I should have known better than to assume I'd find that in Trace or Ryder.

"Well if I'm staying here, then you'll both have to excuse me as well, I'd like to freshen up a bit before dinner..." Yes I wanted to get a bit more dressed up since I was literally in my Jeans and nice top. But more so I really needed to collect myself and get into the proper headspace.

I know I needed to apologize to my brothers but I wanted it to be genuine and not feel forced or anything of the sort.

Upon reaching my room, I was hoping to find the solace of an empty space to just breath a moment, but was surprised to find Ryder in here still.

I stood in the doorway and watched him as he carefully took in my room as if seeing it for the first time ever.

He'd reached my bookshelf and lifted his hand to pick out one of the books, I watched as he was going straight for my most cherished book and I didn't want him to touch it, nothing personal...I just never let anyone touch it.

"Hey there you are." I said, pulling his attention away from my first copy of Romeo and Juliet.

I carried it around constantly, to the point people just assumed I loved the story so much that I've been given multiple copies over the years as gifts, including a very special limited edition copy Mina, our former Beta's mate (Maddox's mom) had given me for my first shift.

I remember how the book had made me smile for the first time in weeks.

But this copy, this standard issue high school copy is the one that meant the most to me, this was the one Maddox had given to me when we'd finished our projects...old, worn from being read a few times, broken spine from being folded back, with all his notations written in the margins...it was my favorite. "A little momento to remember our time in the garden."

And on the inside of the front cover he'd written:

To My Little Rose,

Forever your Non-Romeo

I watched as Ryder took a step away frommy book case, his ears reddened upon being caught snooping. "Sorry, I wasn't allowed in here when we were kids."

I shrugged and walked over to the window now, resisting the urge to look out my window knowing I'd have the strange instinct to look for HIM.

Maddox use to always have his little rocks ready to throw up at my window so I'd look down and find him waiting on me. I'd make my way down to the old library and from there we'd sneak off to our favorite spot in the forest and just lay in each others arms for hours.

I sighed and touched my old pointe shoes, the sun over the years had bleached their old pink satin to a light beige. I turned and saw the rest of the room, exactly as I had left it so many years ago.

"Funny how time passes us by and some things always remain the same...like our childhood bedrooms." I smiled. "Just reminds us where we are in life and how far we've come."

He nodded.

I couldn't help but sigh as I recalled all the years and how they were nothing more than a memory now. I walked over to the bed and sat down, "Sorry if I ever came off like a bitch towards you at all Ry..."

He shook his head, "You weren't."

"I'm sure I was...and I'm Sorry I reacted the way I did when I found out you and Trace were named Alpha and Beta...I promise it wasn't what it looked like..."

I shook my head, I felt like I wasn't owning up to my shit, but it was more difficult than it seems on the surface.

I sighed, "For me it was never truly about me or my mate taking a position...truthfully...For me it was more about Dad not being here any more...I freaked out, ya know, I mean it's Dad...he was always there when we needed him, he was strong, and confident and those final days...he was so weak and confused...it was hard to see him like that...After losingmy momand then Maxwell, I never took death well and my mate knows that and I know he used that...I hate that I let him too."

He growled at hearing it, "Trace and I know...we never held you to that shit Vonnie."

"I'm sorry." I said. "It shouldn't have ever gotten to that point, especial then...not while Dad was sick and dying."

He accepted my apology and after his own confession of how he felt with dad getting sick and passing we fell into an easier conversation.

"Without trying to dampen the mood..." He sighed, "How's your mate?"

"As well as can be expected I suppose."

He looked at me curiously now.

"He's been called away for Beta duties...or so I've been told."

He nodded, "I'm sure he'll be home soon and then you can be with him."

I shrugged now, "I don't think so."

I knew what I said and couldn't take it back, but I had to spin it so he wouldn't grow suspicious or worried. My family already doesn't like Peter, no need adding fuel to that fire.

"Everything good Vonnie?"

I smiled, "I only meant, knowing our brother...I'm sure I'm going to be here longer than the weekend...I may not be home when Peter gets back."

Then he just looked at me, I couldn't tell if he was trying to see through my lie or what.

Then he shook his head and sighed heavily as he ran his hands down his face, "Sorry." He said as he shifted in the chair from my vanity, "I know you and Max were twins, but I guess I always forget how much you both looked the same."

I chuckled, "We were identical twins...as rare as it is, it is possible for identical twins to be one male and one female, and other than the obvious differences we were identical in our looks."

He shook his head, betweenseeing teh ghost of our brother in you and us both being here in youtr time capsule of a bedroom..."

I chuckled but he continued.

"It just feels like we've gone back in time somehow you know."

I nodded and smiled, "Like we're taking a stroll down memory lane."

A knock pulled us from our conversation and we were informed we were being called for dinner.

"Shit, I still need to get dressed really quick."

"Take your time, I'll stall them a bit." He said as he let himself out of my room, closing the door behind him.

_____

{ Maddox }

Remember we have to go and have dinner with Daddy's friends okay" I said as I tied Sammy's shoes.

"I'm going to need you to be a big boy...so we'll use our manners, and we won't make a big mess right?"

He nodded, his dark blue eyes mirroring my own "Right Daddy."

I smiled, "We're going to get you some McDonalds and I'm sure the Luna might even have some toys for you to play with, but remember not to get too loud."

He nodded his understanding again.

I looked him over and knew he was ready to go, I pat my pockets and felt my wallet and phone. I grabbed his hand and locked up the house before finally heading out.

"Shit this line's taking forever." I grumbled as I felt like I needed to hurry up and get to the pack house. It was already close to the time Trace had asked me to arrive, and I knew when I did finally get there I'd be late.

I finally reached the intercom to order, they took a little longer to make the one happy meal I'd ordered, and we finally got the food and went on our way.

Of course it didn't take us long at all to reach the pack house.

"This is a big house isn't it?" I asked Sammy.

"It's scary." He said. "Like a Halloween House."

I laughed as I put the car into park.

"It's not a Haunted house." I corrected him with a smile. "When I was little, I use to think this was a castle with knights and swords..."

"And a Princess." He said happily.

I smiled as I thought of Yvonne.

This was my third time in a week coming back to the pack house and my thoughts always drifted to her upon arriving.

"Yes, a Beautiful Princess with long yellow hair and sparkly green eyes." I said, unable to withdraw my wondering mind from her.

I sighed, She hadn't been here the last two times and I knew I was only building myself up for more disappointment in not seeing her here tonight. Plus I was here for a reason, I was here to meet Trace's mate, our packs new Luna.

"Alright son, let's go say hi to everybody, okay."

"Okay." He said.

I could sense his fear. "Don't worry, no one here will ever hurt you, okay." I said as I got out of the car and moved to open his door, he was still strapped into his booster seat. "Everyone here is going to like you, they're going to want to be your friend Sammy... you're so lucky because you are going to have so many friends."

He smiled and then I hugged him, "Are you ready son?"

He nodded, "I'm ready."

I knocked on the pack door, the action felt beyond foreign to me.

Back when Dad was the pack Beta and Max was still alive I use to walk in here like I was just an added member to the Johnson family, everyone looked at Max and I as brothers but of course I had a closer relationship to his twin instead of him.

Trace opened the door with wonder before his curiosity fell away and he chuckled and let me in. "Dude you never have to knock, just come on in, anytime."

I nodded "Hope I'm not late..."

Before we could so much as make it passed the foyer Trace looked down at Sammy and a sadness filled his eyes.

I know he could see me in my son, everyone always said Sammy was my mini twin, but it was more than that...no doubt he'd be thinking about his brother.

I'd be lying if I said I haven't had similar thoughts.

Would Max be a dad by now, would Sammy and Max's kids be friends like we were?

When the moment began to grew a bit awkward a red head stepped forward.

"You must be Maddox." She smiled as she pat Trace's arm, a look of love and concern filling her pretty face now before she shook my hand.

"Luna Carson, it's an honor."

She brushed my words away, "Come on in and get warm, and I'm sure Sue won't mind adding another setting at the table."

"You're too kind Luna...but we went through the drive-thru and picked up a happy meal for Sammy." I said as I held up the red cardboard box...I didn't mention that my child, for as adorable and polite as he is...he's the pickiest eater ever.

"Please from what I've heard, you're practically family...call me Valerie, or Val." She smiled before giving her full attention to my son. "Sammy...honey would you like to play with some toys?" Valerie offered as she held her hand out to him.

Sammy looked up at me to make sure it was alright, I nodded.

He let go of my hand and took Valerie's own outstretched hand. "What are your favorite kind of toys Sammy?" She asked as they walked to a long forgotten toy chest that sat next to the large fireplace.

"Still strange being back." I said, cutting through the thick silence as I tried my hardest to act casual, "Seems like nothing's changed since we were kids...and yet everything has."

"I wouldn't have asked you to fill the role if I didn't think you were cut out for it brother."

He'd taken my words as a form of regret or uncertainty.

"And you're sure it won't be too difficult having me around constantly when Max can't be?" I asked...no point in bullshitting now.

Trace shook his head, "If anything you're a reminder of him...and my brother isn't someone I just want to forget...I also have to tell you the truth, I haven't quite told Valerie that you're her new Luna's guard, I will so don't worry...but I just want her to be comfortable around you, sort of warm her to the idea of you being around more."

I understand, Luna's guard isn't a position every pack offers so this may be a new role to her.

"Maddox Cree as I live and breath." Sue, the old cook of the pack house said.

I smiled and let her pull me into a hug. "Good to see you Ms. Sue."

"If I'd of known you were going to be here tonight I'd of made me those brownies you loved so much when you were younger." She smiled before it turned teary, "You and Maxwell couldn't get enough of them."

"I think you always made extras knowing we'd steal them as often as we could." I said.

She nodded, "Always had to make half a dozen extra for you boys." She said as she reached up and Pat my face gently. "Anyways, food is ready...don't want it getting cold now." She told Trace.

He nodded and thanked her before turning to one of the staff members, "could you go up and let my brother and sister know it's time to come down for dinner."

We talked a bit more before Ryder came downstairs, but Morgan wasn't with him. I greeted him and smiled, "I feel like you were a kid not too long ago."

"Time goes on and we all grow up...you included man, where'd all this muscle come from."

I laughed, "I bulked up in college some."

Truth was I spend too much time training in the old pack, since Natalie had her own hobbies I found myself more and more in the gym to kill time.

"Where is that girl?" Trace asked.

Ryder's mate came over and he smiled at her before filling his brother in. "Give her a minute, Yvonne wanted to get changed." He said before he walked his mate into the dining room.

My heart stopped.

"Yvonne's here?" I asked.

_____

{ Yvonne }

I rushed to open my suitcase and pulled out my best dress. 'Goddess I hope it isn't too wrinkled." I said to myself as I pulled it out of the wardrobe bag and went about getting changed, because based on how everyone else was dressed, this dinner was going to be more formal than I imagined. 

Thankfully it was more form fitting so any wrinkles were easily pulled out when I pulled it on...if nothing else, that was the only upside to having a heavier set body than other girls here in the pack.

I didn't have time to fuss over my hair and I wouldn't ever wear too much makeup anyways so I stepped into my heels and began making my way down.

"Relax girl, It's just dinner and then we can go for a run."

I said as I felt my wolf going wild to be let out now.

I began making my way down stairs, careful to watch my footing as this dress was a little longer than I'd like.

'Look.' My wolf demanded.

I looked up and my eyes immediately met his.

'Maddox'

I stopped dead in my tracks. I could feel the tears filling my eyes.

He's here.

He stared at me and I reacted without thinking...I turned around and raced back to my room.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

193K 3.6K 14
After being rejected by her mate, Jennifer spent years devoted to her new pack and Alpha, hoping he would choose her as his mate and Luna. But then h...
7K 247 34
In every werewolf story there is the sweet, kind girl who dreams of true love, and living happily ever after. The girl who is broken, defenseless. We...
423K 13.4K 37
You have to read the prologue and I hope you enjoy it
871K 32.5K 35
[COMPLETED] After Red found her mate, she was ecstatic, finally she gets to feel that love told only in stories, however everything quickly goes down...