RIPTIDE (Shadows book 1.1)

By Mae_Chigurupati

ATTENTION PLEASE. If you want a more refined version of it, check my profile for the book Tattered Vengeance... More

AUTHORS NOTE
PROLOUGE
THE ARREST
THE PHONE CALL
WHO ARE YOU??
YOU ARE AN IDIOT
HOT PINK BEDROOMS AND FRENCH CONVERSATIONS
RULES AND COUSINS
PARENTS AND WARNINGS
SILVER D'ABOVILLE
ANSWERS AND QUESTIONS
ANSWERS AND QUESTIONS (ii)
PANIC ATTACK AND MIDNIGHT BONDING
BODYGUARDS AND FAMILIAR FACES
COUSINS AND DEGREES
REVELATIONS AND REGRETS
ALLIES AND BULLETS
ALLIES AND BULLETS PART (ii)
THIA EMELYNE LILITH MORGAN
AUTHOR'S NOTE
AN OLD ENEMY AND BITTERSWEET MEMORIES
PENDRIVES, VIDEOS,TRAITORS AND NEPHEWS
TRAITOR AND DIRECTON
A PAST SO DARK
A/N
A FUTURE SO HAZY
HEARTY CONVERSATIONS
AUTHOR'S NOTE
DEATH OF A FRIEND AND A FOE
GRIEF AND ANGER
AUTHOR'S NOTE
AUTHOR'S NOTE/ BONUS CHAPTERS
EATING DISORDER
BONUS: HOPE AND SILVER 1
FUNERAL AND NEW FACES
REVELATIONS AND CONFRONTATIONS
THE HALF BROTHER
A/N
BONUS : AZIL
SECRETS AND PHONECALLS
THE FINALE
AUTHOR'S NOTE
CHARACTER REVIEW
AUTHOR'S NOTE
EDITED VERSION/AUTHOR'S NOTE

BOTS AND MEMORIES

353 11 4
By Mae_Chigurupati

I face tomorrow with a smile because I have a family to love and support me. ~Aaruhi Faiza

Devon frowned when he heard someone knocking on the door to his bedroom. He sat up trying to get rid of his sleepy haze. Most of the previous night was spent catching up with his grandparents and cousins. It was early morning when everyone has retired to bed and no one bothered with breakfast or lunch. He opened the door. A maid stood there carrying what looked to be shopping bags along with three younger maids. She smiled at him. 

"Your name, Sir?" she inquired politely. 

"Devon." he replied groggily. The maid shuffled through the bags and handed him one.

"Mrs. Chauhan wants all of you assembled in the living room by 5:30 PM, Sir. Showered." the maid told him before bowing a little and turning away. Similar bags were delivered to everyone who were in the Estate for the first time. An hour later everyone in the mansion were waiting in the living room. 

"The puja will begin at 6:00 PM. In the north wing. Albert will take you there. So everyone's here.." Meenakshi trailed off when she didn't spot the pair of silver eyes anywhere. 

"Where's Hope?" she asked. Usually, Hope was the first one to be present when anything traditional takes place. 

"I'll go check." Riven offered before dashing towards the stairs. He reached her room in record time. He stood outside her room for a few seconds trying to catch his breath. Slowly, he twisted the door knob and walked inside. The room was beautiful. Decorated with night theme along with a mural of a beach, it looked peaceful.

"Hope." he called out when he didn't find her in the room. 

"In here." came a muffled reply from the closet. He walked into her closet. It was almost as large as her bedroom. He found her standing in front of a mirror in a sports bra and shorts. His breath caught. He clenched his fists to keep the rising anger at bay. There were whip marks and bullet wound scars covering most of her back. Multiple scars lingered on her arms and legs ranging from bullet holes to burn marks. He felt a shudder of terror pass through him.

"I feel ugly." her voice broke him out of his thoughts. He gave her a surprised look. Even Hope was surprised at her confession. It has been a while since she felt ugly in her own skin. 

"They're beautiful." Riven murmured coming closer to her. She frowned at him.

"They are scars and whip marks, Riven." she reminded him. 

"They're battle scars." he corrected her. "They show how strong you are."

"And you'll always be beautiful, no matter what. You are a Chauhan." he told her. She wasn't a Sinner. She maybe their sister by blood but she will always be a Chauhan by bond and no blood relation can change it. He realised that. She gave him a small but genuine smile.

"And anyone who says otherwise will have to face me." he added playfully. She laughed.

"Always, Riv?" she asked after a while. Her question wasn't just about her appearance anymore. It meant a lot more and Riven knew exactly what she meant.

"Always, Champ." his answer a mere whisper in the closet, yet it rang louder than any other sound. Riven swallowed trying to get his emotions under control.

"I'll wait outside. Get dressed. Everyone is waiting downstairs." he told her as he walked out. Ten minutes later, Hope walked out of her closet, dressed in a white gaghra embroidered with golden threads. It was simple and elegant. 

"You look beautiful, champ." Riven complimented her. All the men in the estate were dressed in similar attires as him. Plain white vest, paired with white pants,shirt and a white cotton towel hanging around their necks. 

By the time they reached the north wing, all the family members were sitting in two rows opposite to each other. Chandrika Abreo was placing a paper near the many photos of various gods. Riven and Hope settled down at the end of the line. Two hour later all of them were assembled in the garden with a plate full of food.

"What's on that paper?" Devon asked.

"Dates for weddings." Hope replied, her gaze trained on her grandmother. Her grandmother looked like a kid who got caught with a hand in the cookie jar.

"I have four dates, three weeks apart." she confessed finally. Hope dragged her arm down her face.

"Whose weddings?" Raziel asked coming into the garden with a plate of his own. "All six of the are sleeping peacefully." 

"Well,.." she trailed off nervously. Blaise chuckled at her. 

"Out with it, Grannie." Hope ground out through clenched teeth. 

"One for Devon's , one for Viren's, one for Vaughn's and one for Nixon's." 

"Grandma." three male voices cried out followed by three female voices laughing.

"Learn from Viren you little idiots. You are all engaged so what's the problem?" she demanded. Viren smiled and continued eating his food.

None of them replied. They looked at each other trying to come up with an excuse.

"So who's first?" Hope asked.

"Us." Dhriti replied with a smile. Viren looked at her and nodded. They were definitely first.

"Ok." Hope accepted with a shrug. The rest of the dinner passed with them teasing each other and bickering with each other.

"Everyone get ready by 10AM tomorrow. We'll go to the base." Hope announced when the dinner came to an end. The mood sobered instantly. Slowly everyone trudged inside.

Devon, Atriya, Viren, Dhriti, Vaughn, Aruhi, Nixon and Samaira sat around near the fire place. 

"So, you are really getting married, huh?" Atriya asked. 

"Yup." Viren replied as he tightened his arms around her. Their grandmother has decided it and there was no going back.

"It's going to be different." Dhriti mumbled leaning into him.

"Why?" Devon asked curiously.

"Without Silver, Scar and Raf, it'll be odd." Samaira or Sam as she introduced herself replied.

"Scar is a ball of energy, one that keeps everything lively. Raf is a goofball, he is something else." Dhriti said. Her warm brown eyes held a faraway glint as she reminisced old memories.

"Silver, oh god, he won't be present actively in any preparations but his presence will always be there in the back, protective and reassuring combined with Hope's comforting and happy presence." she finished as tears pooled in her eyes. She rubbed her eyes hastily and smiled a little.

"All the dates are set for next year." Nix told her with a small smile. She nodded.

"Hope has six months at minimum to find them both." Sam mumbled as melancholy washed over the room.

Atriya felt her heart clench as she listened to them reminiscing fond memories. She has never met Silver or Scarlett, but their disappearance has taken a toll on everyone in the family. Devon pulled her closer to him as if he too felt the same. Atriya found the same sadness in his eyes as he gazed into the fire. 

"It'll never be the same, will it?" Aruhi asked looking into the fire. She wasn't speaking about the marriage. No, she was speaking about their family, it's missing members. Nobody spoke

"No, Sunshine. It won't be." Vaughn said finally. She sniffled as she snuggled into him.

"This family will never be the same without all it's members." Vir mumbled. 

"Is it weird that I feel so sad about their disappearance? I don't even know them." Devon mumbled.

"You don't know them personally." Vir agreed. "But you know about them and their absence haunts this place in a way. It makes you feel as if something is missing. Something loved." Devon nodded in agreement. An alarm rang throughout the estate. Viren, Nixon and Vaughn exchanged panicked glances before they got to their feet and started sprinting towards the south wing.

"What's happening?" Devon yelled as he ran along with them.

"It's Rafiq." Nixon yelled back as they ran towards the medical bay.  Devon spotted Hope running a couple of paces ahead of them followed by the others. 

Hope shot up from her bed as the alarm sound reached her ears. She dashed out of her room and downstairs towards the south wing. She was aware of footsteps rushing behind her but she didn't bother to turn back.

'Please, let him be alright.' was the only thought playing in her head like a broken record as she stepped into the medical bay. Her eyes fell on the heart monitor and she staggered. Two strong hands held her from behind, holding her upright. She watched as her father and the doctors fuss over him. The monitor started beeping a few seconds later. She exhaled slowly and sagged against whoever was holding her. 

Devon tightened his hold on her as she sagged against him. He watched as the doctor adjusted the wires around the patient. 

"Get everyone into the living room." Hope mumbled as she straightened. Devon let her go and turned around. He motioned towards the living room. He walked out at the end. 

The living room was crowded. All of them sat in tense silence except for the alarm. Meenakshi groaned.

"Arcane, turn off the alarm." Meenakshi commanded.

Voice command recognized, Turning off the alarm on Meenakshi Chauhan's authority. A robotic voice responded before it went quiet. 

"That was creepy." Aleksandr muttered.

Creepy: causing an unpleasant feeling of fear or unease. Do I creep you out Mrs. Chauhan?   the robotic voice asked. Alek's eyes widened. Meenakshi chuckled but answered the question.

"No, you aren't creepy." 

"Who is that?" Everett muttered.

I am Arcane. Call me Arc. I am Miss. Chauhan's bot. Individual identified as Everett Sinner. 

"Who created it?" Nikon wondered. 

I am not an 'it', individual identified as Nikon Petrov. Miss. Chauhan created me. I don't appreciate being turned off.

"I won't turn you off, again." Hope offered as she trailed into the room followed by her father and the doctor.

That will be appreciated Miss. Chauhan.  Hope chuckled. 

"So, how is he?" Natalya asked as Hope settled on the ground beside Zai, leaning onto her mother's legs.

"He's stable for now." the doctor answered. "I'm Onyx Bell, resident doctor of the Estate." He turned around and left.

"I'm going to guess that's Rafiq." Vincent muttered as he ran a hand through his hair. Hope nodded

"Is anyone going to sleep?" Hope asked as she stood up. Everyone shook their heads in response. She walked towards the entrance.

"Atriya, take a walk with me.?" Hope asked. Atriya stood up and glanced at Devon. He gave her an encouraging smile. She took in a deep breath as she followed Hope outside. 

"I'm going to the library." Devon muttered as he too stood up.

"You are coming with me." Meenakshi announced, pointing at Devon. "You too." she added as she wiggled her finger at Vincent, Rueben, Riven, Everett and Hayes. She led them towards the library. The library was situated in the north wing. It occupied two storeys and had thousands of books in various languages. She lead them towards a door in the back. She placed her hand on the scanner.

Meenakshi Chauhan identified. Six unknown individuals detected. Identification and access required to grant entry.

"Allow access to Devon Sinner, Vincent Sinner, Riven Sinner, Rueben Sinner, Everett Sinner and Hayes Sinner." she commanded.

Individual identification confirmed. Allowing access to six individuals on the authority of Meenakshi Chauhan. 

The door swung open. She lead them inside and motioned towards the couches, but none of them paid attention to her. They shuffled towards the walls, mesmerized by the photos that hung on the walls. All of those photos had one thing in common, happiness. 

"Hundreds of photos and thousands of memories. You missed nearly all of her life. All of you lost precious time because of the mistakes your father made. Nothing can bring those years back. I hope that these photos, albums and videos can compensate a little for that." Meenakshi explained as she joined them. 

Hayes watched each and every photo on the wall slowly, taking in every detail. He could feel tears welling up in his eyes as he passed every photo. 

Meenakshi pulled him into a hug. He stiffened for a second before wrapping his arms around her hesitantly. She rubbed his back as he cried. He cried for the time they were apart. He cried for the lost years and the memories they never got to make. He cried for her, for everything she had been through. Meenakshi held him till he calmed down. 

"Thanks, mom." he mumbled as he let go. He looked around, finding his brothers looking at him with wide eyes. Then it registered in his brain what he'd called her. He looked at her, fearing her reaction. Meenakshi chuckled.

"Don't worry. You can call me whatever you want. If you want to call me mom, then you can call me mom. That goes for all of you."

She walked towards the pendrives and picked one, connected it to the television and settled on a couch. She patted the empty space beside her.

"Sit down. There are a few videos."

All of them settled onto the couch and on the floor. She pressed the play button.

Atriya walked beside Hope. The air held tension. They walked in silence till they reached the swing. Hope sat down and motioned Atriya to do the same. Atriya sat down beside her. Neither of them spoke.

"Do you love him?" Hope asked breaking the tense silence.

"Yes." Atriya answered without missing a beat. "Why do you ask?" 

Hope shrugged in response. 

"I think you can do much different." Hope answered finally.

"Are you implying that Devon isn't good for me?" Atriya asked with a frown. Hope laughed. Not the happy one or the funny one. A bone chilling laugh as if she knew what was going on in Atriya's mind. The laugh sent shivers down her spine. 

"Oh darling, my brother is perfect the way he is. The question is, are you good enough for him?" she asked.

"What are you trying to imply?" 

"You knew about Devon's world when you decided to have a relationship with him. But you never saw the complete picture of his world. So, I wonder, will you stay till the end?"

"Yes."

"Even if it puts you in danger. That isn't something Devon would want. He'll always put your life before his." 

"You speak as if you know him when you haven't been in his life for the last 13 years."

"I know my brother. I may have not been in his life for thirteen years, but I have always watched over him, over all of them for the last four years."

"I'll learn to defend myself. I'll learn to be a part of his world if that is what it takes to keep loving him till the end." Atriya answered. Her voice held determination. Hope smiled softly. A smile of approval. 

"Then meet Nat in the living room tomorrow morning at 6AM. And remember, if you break his heart, I will kill you." Hope promised. Atriya nodded. Strangely, she didn't feel scared. She felt glad that Devon had someone who's going to protect him. She knew Hope was going to make good on her promise if she broke his heart.

"Welcome to the family Atriya." Hope muttered as she got down from the swing.

Hope looked around  with a content smile as soft music played in the background. She was dressed in traditional indian attire . Her hair was the same as it was now. Her silver eyes gleamed with happiness as she took everything in. 

"Dance with me?" a familiar voice asked. A moment later, Silver came into view. He extended his hand towards her with a soft smile on his face. Hope placed her hand in his and followed him onto the dance floor.

"When was this?" Riven asked without taking his eyes off the screen.

"The evening after Charlotte's wedding. During the reception." came Meenakshi's reply. 

Silver twirled her according to the music. They moved in sync with each other as the music continued.

"One day, it is going to be you and me. If you want." Silver mumbled as they continued dancing. Hope smiled in response.

"How are you so sure about that? Won't you change your mind in the future?" she asked him. He turned her around so that she leaned into him. 

"Not happening. Never." Silver declared as he turned her around. He placed her hand on his heart and wrapped his arms around her.

"Do you feel the rhythm, it's melody?" he whispered. She nodded in response. 

"You are the reason why it is so melodic. Without you it'll keep beating but it won't be melodic. It won't be so beautiful." He placed a kiss on her cheek.

"Without you, the world will be so bleak Rose." he kissed her other cheek.

"So, no, I will never feel any different about you no matter what." he finished with a small smile. Hope smiled at him. A brilliant smile. A happy one. A content one.

"Je t'adore." (I adore you.) he whispered. 

She hummed in response as they continued to dance. 

The video came to an end after a few more seconds. They sat in silence.

"That was beautiful." Rueben commented breaking the silence.

"A teenage boy telling your little sister that he adores her isn't beautiful." Riven ground out through clenched teeth. Meenakshi chuckled at that.

"Silver isn't just any teenage boy. The soft smiles, those affections are reserved for Hope only. She is the only person who brings out the vulnerable side out. There is a reason why none of us call him Aaden. Because nobody knows the real him completely." she told them, a small smile. 

"How old is he?" Riven questioned.

"Turned 20." 

"Come on, I'll show you some photos." 

She lead them towards the back wall of the room. One photo in particular caught their attention. Hope was standing in the photo along with another girl. The girl's green eyes gleamed with challenge and mischief as she looked at Hope. The latter had a playful grin plastered on her face as she held a dagger in her hand.

"Eira Delilah Hartvigsen. Also known as Delilah." she informed them. The boys glanced at her. Meenakshi had a sad smile on her face as she gazed at the photo frame. She shook her head trying to keep her tears at bay and moved towards the next photo.

"This one was during Corbyn's concert. The first time he performed 'Watching Over You'." Hope was laughing at something in the photo while Corbyn stood beside her with a goofy smile on his face.

"This one was during Zai's wedding." Hope was dressed in a pair of shorts and tank top. Silver had his arms wrapped around her, holding her close to him, his chin resting on her shoulder as they watched the ocean. 

"This was during Silver's birthday." Silver and Sterling stood shoulder to shoulder, glaring at Hope although they had a playful glint in his eyes. Their faces were smeared with cream.

Later that night, Atriya and Devon sat under a tree in the garden with a blanket wrapped around them.

"What did you do?" she asked him. Devon smiled. 

"Saw some beautiful memories." he answered. "You?" 

Atriya contemplated about her answer. A thousand things came to her mind. All of them which ended with Hope threatening her. But she smiled when she remembered it.

"Got invited into the family by your sister." she answered finally. Devon hummed in response.

"Tomorrow is going to be bad." she whispered to him. He held her closer to him.

"It will be." he agreed. "We face it as a family."

The family has a lot ahead of them. But they stick together through the good and the bad. For happiness and sadness. For pain and anger. To heal and protect. To love and comfort. Family stands with you through it all because that is what family is. Family is a bond created through heart and it will be stronger than any blood bond.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

621K 14.2K 35
Meet Angela Santiago, the daughter of the most feared mafia boss in Spain and the sister of three overprotective older brothers. She's a loving and n...
38.2K 1.1K 15
Although she was surrounded by love she couldn't help but feel hollow and broken. She woke up every day, restless after a tiring and horrific night S...
17.3K 812 46
Their favourite cocktail? One part betrayal mixed with bloodshed, One part secrets, half-part death with a splash of love....on rocks. "My Sisters wa...
5K 75 14
16 year old Chasity Armando lived a totally different life than her peers. Having a abusive mom and stepfather, being treated as a slave, as well as...