Love Is Never Ugly

By Fantasyandromance516

An innocent and gentle-hearted beauty, a deranged and blood-thirsty beast, the timeless fairy tale retold in... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Soundtrack
Big News
Inspiration First Half
Inspiration Second Half

Chapter 40

430 24 4
By Fantasyandromance516

Vagatha stared at the garment she uncovered in the box completely beguiled. The design, the color, it was perfectly suited to her tastes and preferences. The style was understated. Slim with long sleeves and a simple collar, not bold and extravagant which she herself had never been especially fond of. Big and poofy dresses with feathers, furs, or ruffles might have suited most women but not her. The satin fabric was turquoise and the threading was violet, two of her favorite colors. But the piece to resistance was the intricate design of a butterfly on the chest of the dress made of violet beading and embroidery.

Anthony truly did put a lot of thought into making this for her. This wasn't just some attempt to earn her favor. He sincerely wanted to make a nice dress for her to wear. Charlotte was right, it would be cruel of her not to wear it tonight.

So she slipped on the dress, tied her white hair into a bun using a turquoise ribbon, and made her way to the ballroom where Anthony was waiting for her anxiously. He was just about to give up waiting and retire to his room in disappointment when he saw her walk in. A smile lit up his face.

"You look magnificent." He told her.

"Thanks." She said. "And thank you for the dress."

"Do you like it?" He asked eagerly. "I tried to make it exactly how you would want a dress to look."

"It's perfect." She smiled before turning to look at the dancers. "Things seem to be going well."

"Very well. Reminds me of the balls we used to have when Marie was here."

"Yes she loved to dance. Especially with her little boy." Vagatha said. "You know after she died I didn't think there would never be another ball in this castle."

"Miracles do happen." Anthony said. "Speaking of miracles, I think another one is about to take place tonight."

"What do you mean? What miracle?"

"You're going to dance tonight."

"Oh I am, am I? What makes you say that?"

"Come on Vagatha it's a ball. You have to dance."

"No I don't...I...I can't...I." She blushed. "I don't know how to dance."

"That's the problem? In that case I'll teach you."

"You can't just teach me in one night."

"Sure I can. You're a moth, you're naturally agile and balanced."

"I don't know."

"Can you at least try?"

She took a deep breath and she released it after thinking it over.

"I suppose one lesson couldn't hurt."

"Excellent. But we're not waltzing."

"We're not?"

"Nope. Waltzing is all they ever do. I think it's time we add a little variety."

"What kind of variety?"

"Well you once told me that you asked Marie to help you learn about other countries and their cultures. That you were really fascinated with the cultures of Spain, Africa, Mexico, and Argentine?"

"Yes."

"Are you familiar with the tango?"

Anthony then pulled Alastor aside to politely request for a change in music. He replied by snapping his fingers which caused the instruments to play a new and exotic tune. As the song began Anthony and Vagatha faced each other in the center of the room, his left hand joined with her right one, his right hand went to her back, and her left hand went to his shoulder. He quietly instructed her on what to do and she responded with almost instant accuracy.

It started out slow with three forward walks, followed by a side step and lastly a drag step. Vagatha messed up a few times but eventually learn to get the hang of it. Their next move was for Anthony to lunge back on his left leg and shape her legs over their right legs. She bent her shoulders and neck back to create the illusion of a back bend. That's when the passion started to kick in.

He slowly moved in as if to kiss her only for her to coquettishly swivel out of his arms. He chased her with an expressive use of the arms and rhythmic stamping of his feet. When he caught up with her they dancing cheek to cheek. Feeling bold, Vagatha used her wings to lift her up a little bit which allowed her to briefly wrapped her legs around Anthony's waist so he could spin her around. They both had flirty smiles on their faces and even laughed a little. The song was soon ending and for their last move he gave her another spin and dipped her.

Everyone else in the room applauded them and later proceeded with their own dancing.

"I told you that you would be a natural." Anthony said to Vagatha.

"I have a question. How is it that you know how to tango? I've known you twenty-three years and the subject never came up."

"Hey you're not the only one who wanted to learn about other places. I was looking for inspiration for new clothing so I asked Marie to teach me about the fashion of other countries. Like Italy, Japan, China, Germany. She mentioned the cultures you were mostly fascinated in and I decided to educate myself on Spain, Africa, Mexico and Argentine so you and I could have other things to talk about. That's how I learned about the dance."

"I must admit I always appreciated how you would take an interest in what I liked."

"I had to. Right away I knew that my good looks may have attracted you to me but they would hold your favor for long."

"Yeah about that your good looks." She said making quotation marks with her fingers. "Aren't what attracted me to you."

"They weren't?" He said.

"Oh please Anthony. You should know me better than that."

"Well if it wasn't my flawless body which drew you in, what was it?"

"First of all I don't believe anything is flawless. Especially you." She teased. "And second what attracted me to you is that you made me laugh."

"You liked me because you thought I was funny?"

"Well yes. Sometimes when you would get really flamboyant it annoyed me but other times I thought it was very funny. Like that time when Alastor was three and Marie had to go some fairy ointments, leaving him alone with us for the first time, He cried so you dressed up in a powdered wig and frilly dress to cheer him up."

"You saw that?" He blushed. "I thought you were in the pavilion that day."

"I was. I finished counting the gold early."

"How humiliating."

"No it was cute."

"Oh God you didn't tell anyone did you?"

"No but I don't see what there is to be ashamed of. You were cheering up a little boy who missed his mother. It showed that you were not only funny but caring. I find that very attractive."

"Can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

"If you like me so much and found me so attractive why did you leave me? I thought things were going good between us. But after Marie died you just called it quits and you didn't even give me an explanation for why. You know that wasn't fair right?"

Vagatha suddenly looked at him in a very remorseful way. Now feeling very regretful for how she ended her romantic relationship with Anthony thirteen years ago.

"When Marie passed and Alastor turned cannibalistic I got scared."

"Scared of what?"

"Of falling in love with you. When Alastor started eating people I was so sure that he'd never break the curse and if that was the case then eventually we would forget all about each other and go back to what we were in the beginning. I would fear you, you'd try to eat me, and nothing that we had would have made any difference. It broke my heart to think that we would love each other but end up becoming predator and prey again."

"Vagatha why didn't you ever tell me?"

"Because I knew you would never accept it. You would have gone out of your way to somehow convince me that the spell could be broken and we could have a life together. I don't have hope like that Anthony."

"I can understand you thinking like that back then. Really I do. But you have to admit things are different now and Alastor does have a better chance. I mean look at those two."

He pointed over to Alastor and Charlotte once again sharing a romantic waltz. The whole time they were locked in each other's arms and unable to look away from each other. Their faces painted with the most sincere of smiles.

"Now if that isn't love in the making I don't know what is." Anthony said.

"Alright there is a connection but how can you be so sure it'll lead to something more?"

"Let me put this in a different perspective. Before Marie changed us, I ate moths. I ate other insects too but moths were among them. Now when we were together did you ever once think that I'd try to eat you or any other species related to you?"

"You still eat insects."

"I don't eat butterflies and moths anymore. Admit it. You never once saw me eat any of them after we were changed."

"No I didn't."

"Alright so if you and I can make a relationship work despite our differences why can't they? I mean he's already given up cannibalism, it's obvious they care for each other, does love between them really seem unlikely now?"

"When you put it like that I suppose not."

"Okay. Maybe now you can try to have a little hope?"

Hope wasn't easy for Vagatha to hold on to. She was so used to seeing horror and heartache. To her it seemed foolish to hope for anything better. But she couldn't deny that things were much different now. Alastor was almost no longer monstrous and his relationship with Charlotte was growing. Maybe things would finally get better. Maybe she could have a life with Anthony. Maybe she could have hope.

"I guess I could. For now."

She gave him another smile and took hold of his hand which he gently grasped.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.5K 384 45
For centuries mothers and fathers have read legenary stories to the delight of children everywhere. But there is one tale that has yet to be told... ...
74.7K 1.7K 18
Angel and Alastor, pure opposites, and yet when Angel gets hurt, a new soft side of the Radio Demon is shown. A side Angel now yearns for. THIS STOR...
13.7K 289 19
π™°πš•πšŠπšœπšπš˜πš›, πšπš‘πšŽ π™°πšœπšŽπš‘πšžπšŠπš• πšŠπš—πš πš”πš—πš˜πš  𝚝𝚘 πš‹πšŽ, πš‘πšŽπšŠπš›πšπš•πšŽπšœπšœ, πšπšŠπšπš’πš˜ π™³πšŽπš–πš˜πš—. πš‚πšπšŠπš›πšπšœ 𝚝𝚘 πšπšŠπš•πš• πšœπš‘πšŠπš–πšŽπš•πšŽ...
2.1K 29 7
Life in hell have a great variety of experiences. Some of them amazing, some of them sad, and some of them weird. There are neverending adventures fo...