Chapter 43

Charlotte felt something soft being placed on her bosom. Soft, delicate, and sweet smelling. The scent reminded her of Summer roses and for a moment she thought that perhaps she was dreaming or reliving a memory. She was tempted to just lull herself deeper into sleep.

"Even in sleep you appear as the most lovely of creatures."

Upon hearing such a gentle sigh, she opened her eyes and the first thing she saw was another single rose which laid upon her breast. She took hold of the rose and slowly sat up to see Alastor sitting in a chair across from her bed.

"Good morning my dear." He said. "I apologize for waking you."

"What...What happened?"

"I was hoping you could tell me."

"What do you mean?"

"Last night I saw you walking outside into the woods and right on to a frozen lake. The ice broke and you fell into the water. You had me so scared. If I hadn't of seen you or been quick enough you would have been no more."

His voice was laced with so much concern. It touched her but it also guilted her a bit. She didn't mean to frighten him so however she wasn't entirely sure what he was talking about. She didn't remember going outside at night nor did she remember walking on ice. All that she could recall was hearing her father's voice and trying to find him only to suddenly fall into cold and darkness.

"Charlotte why were you outside in the middle of night? Better yet why were you even on the lake?" Alastor asked.

"I...I don't know." She answered. "The last thing I can remember is going to bed and then...A...A...A dream?"

"A dream? What kind of dream?"

"I was in a field and I heard my father calling to me. I tried to find him and...And...And that's when she appeared."

"Who?"

"Some woman. I've dreamt about her before. She tried to warn me."

"About what?"

"About you. She said that you intend to kill me soon. I didn't believe her. I...I heard shrieks and other terrible sounds." She willed herself to remember more. "I heard your voice and I think I woke up...I...I...I fell and everything was so cold. Cold and dark. The rest is all black. I think I can recall someone speaking to me and touches but...I don't know if I dreamed it or not."

"Were you sleep walking?"

"I don't know. I suppose I was but I've never done that before."

She shuddered as her mind went back to that woman. That awful woman who's words had brought Charlotte nothing but trouble. She was afraid of that woman. She didn't know who she was but her instincts told her that the woman couldn't be trusted and would only wish her harm.

"Charlotte what's wrong?" Alastor asked once he noticed her body shivering.

"I'm afraid." She answered. "Afraid of that woman. I'm afraid that when I go to sleep again she'll come back into my dreams and try to hurt me. I know it's foolish to think that a dream can hurt you but I...Oh it was all just so frightening."

Her head ached and she felt faint. Alastor carefully pressed his hand to her forehead.

"You feel warm." He told her. "You might be developing a fever. You must spend the day resting."

"I'm sure it's nothing. Just a dizzy spell."

"We're taking no chances. I shall leave you to rest now and send Niffty up with a hearty breakfast so that you may recover better. You wouldn't want to Ah...Ah...Ahchoo! Oh please excuse me Charlotte."