Within the walls

By Alyssium6

Nyx Betzner is an adventurous young girl who wants nothing more than to succeed and impress her classmates. S... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
38 (The other side)
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62

15

64 2 0
By Alyssium6

Nyx's pov

The day of the 57th expedition arrived and Krista and I were beside eachother in the crowd of scouts. I spotted Bertholdt and Reiner further ahead of us and Reiner winked at me.

'Look out for Annie coming and try to help her out.' I thought.

'Yes ma'am.' Reiner thought back.

'You'll be able to link up with her soon.' Bertholdt thought.

'Stay safe out there you two.' I thought.

'If things go south kill Krista and have the titans protect you. We all need you safe.' Reiner said.

'Will do, Nyx out.' I thought before cutting the link and flopping forwards a bit out of breath. It took a lot of energy to use my communication link outside of my titan form.

"Are you okay Nyx?" Krista asked concerned.

"I'm fine, just really tired all of a sudden." I said.

"It's officially begun, the 57th recon mission! Scouts, move out!" Commander Erwin said.

With that the gate flew open and everyone began riding out into the abandoned village outside Calaneth. The support squad was quick to spread out across the rooftops, taking out approaching titans untill we left the village.

"Long range formation, let's go!" Commander Erwin ordered.

We all split off, some of us were riding in pairs while others were on their own. Krista and I were paired together as supply runners. We each had an extra horse tethered to our own with extra blades and gas in the side bags.

Krista and I split into our position as most other people rode out of view. We'd be communicating solely by smoke signals.

"I had higher mobility scores so if we get into a situation where we have to engage a titan I'll take it on my odm as long as you send out the signal." I said.

"Are you sure? I can take it. I know you're tired, I wouldn't want you getting hurt." Krista said.

"I'm fine. I didnt get to do much during Trost, I want to help out now. That means keeping you safe." I said as I offered her a smile.

Krista smiled back and nodded.

Time skip

We had only been out for an hour when a stray horse came running our way like the devil was on its tail. I quickly sped up and caught its reigns to stop it running away.

"Woah there little run away. Someone will be needing you so let's try not to get lost." I said.

"I wonder who it belongs to." Krista said as she caught up.

"Probably a right wing spotter. They took to many casualties to continue and titans don't eat horses so it'd make sense. The poor thing's rider was probably pulled straight off it's back." I said as I took a cracker from my bag and fed it to the horse to calm it down.

"We both already have a spare horse, what should we do with this one?" Krista asked.

"Take him with us obviously. You never know when someone might need him." I said as I hopped down from my horse.

I led the new horse around to the side and tied the reigns to my other spare horse. It wasn't good for speed but if a titan got this far in I'd just release both of the horses to escape.

"There, you can join us now little buddy." I said as I pet the horse. "Now let's get back on the rode before we bump into the squad behind us."

I walked back around and hopped back up onto my horse before we both took off again. Only about five minutes after the horse showed up purple smoke went up nearby. Judging from the position it should be Jean or maybe Reiner if things went really bad.

"That's the emergency signal." Krista pointed out. "And we just found a horse, that must be the person who he belongs too."

"Jean should be round about there right now! We have to go krista! I can't loose him too!" I said.

Krista nodded and we took off in that direction. As we approached the position of the signal we saw three people and one horse. Armin, Reiner and Jean, our three classmates were stranded with no way to keep going.

"Hey guys! You alright!?" Krista called.

"Well damn, that's my little runaway." Jean said as he spotted our newly found horse. "Easy Bushwald, it's okay, I forgive you."

"Poor thing, ran to us like the devil was on his tail." Krista said. "If Nyx didn't grab him he would have kept running."

"You guys fought a titan didn't you. Thank god you're okay Jean." I said as I hopped down from my horse and hugged him.

"I'm fine Nyx. No need to worry." Jean said.

"Oh no! Armin, your head. You've been hurt." Krista said in concern.

"It's nothing, I promise." Armin said.

"I'm impressed someone actually answered our distress signal. A lot of people wouldn't have risked the trek out here." Reiner said.

"To be honest, I probably would have told krista to ignore it and keep going if we hadn't found the horse first. That and I knew you or Jean should have been in this position by now." I said.

"I'm just glad you're all okay." Krista said.

"We should probably rejoin the formation before we all get stranded out here without the smoke signals." I said.

"Yeah, they'll order our retreat any minute now." Jean said.

Reiner helped me mount my horse again even though I was capable of it on my own. Jean and Armin took my two spare horses and then we started riding again to hopefully rejoin the formation in a position that could be reached by the smoke signals.

"I'll just come out and say it, I'm glad we survived but heading back after only an hour isn't something to be proud of if you ask me. While we're on the subject is anyone else wondering why she's heading away from the command squad?" Jean said.

"She?" Krista asked.

So they encountered Annie. The idiot should have killed Armin and Jean so that they couldn't figure her out. I guess she's hoping we get Eren on the first try and she can leave before her identity is revealed. Just then green smoke shit up from around the formation.

"Green smoke!?" Jean exclaimed.

"I guess we're not heading back afterall, just changing course." Armin said.

"Yeah but that doesn't make sense." Krista said.

"What the hell is going on? Is CommanderErwin out of his mind?" Jean asked.

"Every one of us has the ability to declare the mission failed. Why isn't anyone speaking up?" Reiner said.

"We haven't reached the commander's target yet." I said.

"What do you mean?" Reiner asked.

"When I played chess with the commander a week or so ago he said he wanted to take us through a forest for whatever reason. Something about testing out a plan or gear or something along those lines, he wasn't too specific. We haven't hit the forest yet so he won't turn us around." I said. "There's also the fact that the right wing spotters were taken out by a horde. They'll still be around there if we turn back now. I think he's waiting for them to dispurse a bit first."

"Either way I think our course is clear. Command's got this." Armin said before firing off green smoke.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

55.7K 2.3K 23
from a life full of nothing to a life full of something, ari finds herself the centre and cause of a situation that just could determine the outcome...
30.3K 599 15
You grew up in a Military family with your dad a Garrison soldier, your oldest brother an actual Scout, and your mother an MP. You weren't great at m...
187 9 5
(Y/n) an Eldian born in the interment zone from Marley, at 5 years old she decides to make the mistake of crossing through the gates of the internmen...
14.2K 267 17
Mikasa Ackerman lost her parents as a child,before being saved by a boy named Eren Jaëger. 7 years later she forgets her savior's name,and then unkno...