Danger Zone (File One of The...

Od WritersBlock039

"Highway to the danger zone, take it right into the danger zone." ~ "Danger Zone," Kenny Loggins In which Ow... Více

Introduction & Main Cast
Relationships
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Author's Note
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Epilogue

Chapter Twelve

4.7K 79 58
Od WritersBlock039

And there's the semi-scheduled 6K+ word count, folks. That's in flashbacks and moving plot.

Matt gives Sylvie a heart attack (what's new there?), Gianna learns more about the officers, the Deputy Chief visits Firehouse 126, the Chicago trio get themselves sorted, and Maddie finally cracks.

Also, will someone please try and convince me not to create a Sylverasey one-shot book? I need help. XD

Enjoy!

***

Gianna had learned at her previous firehouse that there were three very important relationships to make firehouses work. The first, and most obvious, was to make sure the entire firehouse could work together as a unit. If everyone in a firehouse wasn't working together, how could they expect to do their best working together in fires? The second, also obvious, was the relationship between each individual members of crews. Each crew was only as good as their weakest link, and Gianna had seen crews with the strongest officers falter because of their weak relationships with each other.

The third, which wasn't always found, was the relationship between firehouse officers. And holy crap, the bond between Matt Casey, Kelly Severide, and Sylvie Brett was something to put on a pedestal.

Whatever had happened earlier that week was a thing of the past. Wherever Gianna looked now, she only had to look for one of the officers to find the other two. Kelly was the only one of the three who often sat with his crew, with Matt and Sylvie occasionally hovering, Sylvie more than Matt. If they weren't at the Squad table, Gianna only had to look in the officers' quarters.

Especially after that aerial incident earlier in the day.

Gianna had been treating the victim Capp had brought to her when she heard an eerie creak from the aerial, then a strangled cry from Sylvie of their captain's name. When she whipped around, she saw Sylvie staring up at the ladder in horror, her arm being held by Herrmann, who had stopped her from bolting for the truck rig. When she followed Sylvie's gaze, she inhaled sharply when she saw Matt dangling off the side of the ladder, Gallo scurrying to pull him back up. She swallowed hard, watching in relief as Gallo hauled Matt back onto the ladder, and a shaky gasp came from Sylvie, who slumped against Herrmann, the engine lieutenant giving her a side hug.

Gianna diverted her gaze as she released her patient, then heard the radios of Squad 3 crackle to life. She turned to see Kelly barking into his radio, giving his victim a side glare. Gianna jogged over to take care of the man, and Kelly frowned. "Where's Brett?" he asked.

"If I didn't know better, having a heart attack," Gianna answered, gesturing over to her partner.

Kelly blinked, immediately twisting on the spot. When he found Sylvie sagged against Herrmann, the engine lieutenant rubbing her back, he gave his victim one last look before running over. Gianna didn't see what Herrmann said to Kelly, but she saw the squad lieutenant's face pale under the ash, and his head whipped up to the ladder as he took Sylvie from Herrmann, leaving the engine lieutenant to take command of putting the fires out. Gianna took Kelly's victim to the ambulance, starting her examination, occasionally peering out to see what was happening. She already had one prediction about what would happen.

And sure enough, as soon as Matt's boots hit the ground, Sylvie tore from Kelly's arms to frantically check the captain over, Kelly hovering behind her. Matt did not look happy to be fussed over, but he conceded in letting Sylvie drag him over to 61 and tend to the cut on his eyebrow. Kelly stood between Matt and the truck rig, occasionally surveying Mouch and Gallo. "It's not too deep," Sylvie finally said, and Gianna barely kept from laughing when she saw both the paramedic and the squad lieutenant visibly relax at the statement. "Just need to clean it and put a bandage on it."

"Glad you're OK, Captain," Gianna spoke up. "Looked pretty scary there for a minute."

Matt nodded in agreement, sighing as Sylvie put butterfly strips on the cut. "Lucky Gallo got there when he did."

Gianna nodded. "For sure." She gestured to their patient in the back of the ambulance. "Our victim's burns cover most of his hands, so she would probably get him over to Med."

Sylvie nodded in agreement, backing away from Matt reluctantly. "Sev," she began.

"Go," Kelly waved. "I'll keep an eye on him."

Matt groaned as Sylvie bounded to the driver's seat. "Oh, don't tell me – "

Gianna snickered under her breath, reaching out and closing the ambulance doors as she heard the two officers start to bicker between themselves.

Yeah, she had some awesome officers.

***

She had another first-hand look at a firehouse bond when they were back at the house. She was chatting with Joe on the apparatus floor, the other Squad members going over their saves at the firehouse, when Stella walked up to the table. "Kelly, can I ask you something?" she asked.

Gianna watched in interest as suddenly, three of the four Squad members were on their guard. Kelly seemed to shut down in some way; he looked more wary as he twisted in his chair to face the truck driver. "Go ahead, Kidd," he told her.

Something flickered in Stella's eyes (was that anger?), but she plastered a smile on her face to hide it. "I need some help with something."

Kelly tilted his head. "If it has to do with Truck, I'd say Casey is the one to ask."

A quiet snicker came from Tony, and Gianna looked in bewilderment as he and Capp exchanged amused looks. A quick look at Joe revealed he was texting under the table; Gianna couldn't see why, as she turned when Stella sighed. "Chief Boden wants me to take the lieutenant's test."

Capp choked on his coffee, and Joe looked up in surprise. "Really?" Kelly raised an eyebrow, sitting up straighter. "Good for you."

Stella preened, as if Kelly had just given her the nicest compliment in the world. Gianna almost felt like she wanted to vomit. "Well, one of the things I need to learn is the ins and outs of Squad. I was hoping I could learn that from the master."

Kelly's eyebrows raised, and Gianna had to turn her head away so the other woman wouldn't see her covering her mouth. Capp was giving Stella a bewildered look, and Tony looked between his officer and the truck driver like he was watching a tennis match. "Alright," Kelly finally said. "But that is all we'll do."

"Of course," Stella nodded. "So . . . maybe after shift, we go through it?"

It was Joe who choked on his drink that time; Capp choked on air. Tony looked at his two crewmates in concern, and Gianna threw Kelly an incredulous look. The lieutenant looked at Stella like she was trying to convince him the sky was green. "Kidd," he began.

"Sev!" Kelly spun around to see Matt standing by the door to the common room, waving a folder in the air. "We need to go over the call, remember?"

Kelly was up out of his seat and heading to Matt before Gianna could even blink. "We'll figure out another time, Kidd," he said. "I've already got plans after shift."

Stella blinked rapidly as the two officers disappeared, then she turned to glare at the squad crew when all three snickered. "Shut up," she snapped, a note of hurt in her voice.

"Sorry." Capp didn't sound apologetic at all. "Better luck next time."

Stella sighed and headed for the locker room, leaving the four at the table. "OK," Gianna said slowly. "I feel good about everyone at 51 . . . except for her."

"Yeah," Joe sighed, rubbing his wedding ring. "Unfortunately, it's been like that since Kidd broke up with Severide two years ago."

"Wait," Gianna blinked rapidly. "They dated?!"

"They dated," Tony confirmed. "And then she broke up with Severide."

"Worst mistake she ever made," Capp snorted.

"So is she trying to get him back?" Gianna asked worriedly.

"It's started looking that way," Joe nodded. "It's not gonna happen, though."

Gianna blinked. "You're sure?"

Capp barked in laughter. "If the lieutenant's ever gonna be with another department member, it sure isn't gonna be Kidd."

"We have bets about who it's gonna be," Tony confided.

Gianna blinked slowly. "You have bets."

"Uh huh," Joe smirked. "Capp's money is on Casey. Tony's is on Brett."

"And you?"

Joe slurped his coffee intentionally. "It's secret."

"Which isn't fair," Capp complained. "He knows ours!"

"But I know something I'm not going to out without someone's permission," Joe said. "Hence the secret. So, if I'm right, then I'll tell you and you can pay up."

"Thanks, Cruz," Capp rolled his eyes.

"As long as Severide ends up happy and not with Kidd, I don't mind where he ends up," Tony admitted.

"Amen, brother," Joe agreed, Capp nodding rapidly.

Gianna smiled at the three men. "You guys really care about Severide, don't you?"

"I've been with him about five years now, but I've been at 51 for longer," Joe said. "These guys? They've practically been with Severide since he started here. We've seen him go through a lot of crap. Eventually, all you want is for him to finally be happy."

"And it's not with Kidd," Tony scoffed.

Gianna sighed happily, leaning against Joe's chair. "I like how protective you are of him. And just how great a unit you are together."

Joe barked in laughter. "You think just the three of us are impressive? You don't want to see the four of us go to bat for Brett or Casey."

"Basically in that order," Capp smirked.

Tony snickered. "Remember how Severide ranted for a good ten minutes about how upset he was on Brett's behalf when Casey drove her to find her birth mother and she was told she wasn't there?"

"Oh, do I?" Joe snorted. "Remember when Julie first dropped by 51?"

Capp burst out laughing. "I don't think she ever visited again . . . at least not when we were out here!"

***

"Hey, Cruz," Capp said from the Squad table, looking at his crossword puzzle. Joe walked out from around their rig, seeing both Capp and Tony looking at them. "Eight-letter word, synonym for 'brave.' The second letter is an e."

Joe thought for a moment, then smirked. "Severide?"

That sent both men into hysterics. "He's not wrong!" Tony crowed.

Joe grinned smugly as he sauntered over. "No, I am not."

"OK, OK," Capp nodded, playfully writing in the crossword. "If that actually works, this'll be impressive."

"Yeah, no kidding," Tony agreed.

Kelly picked that exact minute to walk out of the common room, seemingly calmed down from his fury over Sylvie's birth mother. He paused when he saw them laughing. "What did I miss?" he asked. That made the three Squad members look at each other, then burst into a fresh round of laughter. "Seriously, what did I miss?" Kelly demanded, looking around, though he had a hint of a grin on his face.

They were still chuckling when a blonde woman wrapped in a pale blue winter coat slowly walked onto the apparatus floor. Her gaze lingered on Ambulance 61; with a frown, Joe pushed away from the table. "How can we help you, ma'am?" he asked cordially.

She looked up at them, giving a shy smile. "Hi . . . I'm looking for Sylvie Brett?"

The cheery mood at the Squad table vanished immediately. Joe twisted to look at Kelly, who had an unreadable expression on his face as he looked at the woman who could only be one person. "Capp?" he said.

"On it, Lieutenant," Capp nodded, standing from his chair and giving the woman a look before heading into the common room.

The blonde shifted on her feet, ducking her head to not meet Kelly's intense gaze on her. Joe was worried the lieutenant was going to rip into the woman before the door to the common room opened again, and Capp led Sylvie out onto the apparatus floor. Sylvie took one look at the woman and halted in her tracks, her eyes opening wide and her jaw dropping. The woman looked at her with matching wide eyes, then exhaled shakily. "I found some photos of you online," she whispered. "I knew you were beautiful, but also smart, and brave to do what you do."

Sylvie swallowed hard, and Joe cleared his throat. "Brett, do you want us to – ?"

"No," she shook her head rapidly. "No, uh . . . you guys can stay." Joe nodded, relieved that was her response, and shot Kelly a warning look when the squad lieutenant muttered something that sounded suspiciously like "wasn't going to leave" under his breath. Sylvie looked back at her birth mother, Julie, and chewed her lip. "I went – I went to your house."

"I know," Julie nodded, a sad look on her face. "I know, and I am so, so sorry about that. My husband, Scott, he never knew I had a child. I'd only just told him about you and the letter that I sent, you know, wanting to meet. He's still processing. He felt terrible. After you left, he told me what he did right away."

Sylvie . . . didn't seem to know how to take that. By one look at Kelly, Joe could tell the lieutenant wasn't certain how to take it, either. He understood; when Kelly had vented to them earlier about how Sylvie had gone through so much struggle to decide to visit her birth mother, only to have the door literally shut in her face . . . well, Joe had been upset on her behalf as well. So had Tony and Capp. For Julie to be here now, attempting to make up for her husband's mistake . . . he'd be thrown, too. Sylvie took a deep breath, looking Julie up and down. "You're so young," she said.

"I was just twenty when you were born," Julie chuckled. "I wasn't ready to be a mother. I figured somebody else could do a much better job." She smiled proudly. "Seems like they have."

"Yeah," Kelly finally cracked a smile, nudging Sylvie with his shoulder. "That's an understatement."

Sylvie preened, and Joe smiled, too. That was just what Sylvie needed for a confidence boost in the face of her birth mother: one of her best friends right there to give her the praise she deserved. "I'm so glad you're here," she told Julie with a smile. "Um . . . when I left your place, I was confused, to say the least."

"I don't blame you," Julie hastened to reassure her. "And, um . . . I don't want to pile on, but there's something else that you should know, and, it's . . . um . . . " She cleared her throat. "It's getting a little hard not to notice."

Sylvie frowned in confusion. Joe was confused, too, until Julie unzipped her heavy coat to reveal she was heavily pregnant. "Wow," Sylvie's eyes widened in surprise.

"I know," Julie nodded in agreement. "I never had other children. I didn't think it was still possible at 50, but . . . here we are."

Sylvie's mouth was still opening and closing as she tried to figure out what to say. When the bells rang, Joe had never been more thankful for a call in his life. "Engine 51, Truck 81. Squad 3, Ambulance 61. House fire."

Kelly shook himself out of his stupor, clapping at the table. "Let's roll, Squad!"

The men burst into a flurry of motion, and Sylvie cleared her throat. "I have to go," she told Julie apologetically.

"Sylvie!" Julie took a step forward as Sylvie went for the ambulance, and the paramedic turned around. Joe found himself instinctively slowing when he rounded his rig; Kelly shooed other firefighters around, giving the two women a moment. "Um . . . we would love to have you back at the house, if you'll give us another chance. You don't have to decide now. Just know how much I want you in our lives, in whatever way works for you."

Sylvie swallowed again, looking like she was fighting tears. It was when Matt rushed out of the common room that Kelly turned around. "61!" he called.

Sylvie nodded jerkily, then took off for the ambulance. Emily was just behind her, giving Julie a curious look before heading to the passenger side of the ambulance. When Kelly and Joe headed for their seats on the right of the rig, Matt gave them a questioning look. "Later," Kelly mouthed, climbing into his seat.

Joe almost wished he was a fly on the wall for that upcoming conversation.

***

"Wow," Gianna whistled. "I didn't know Brett was adopted."

"If no one at the firehouse knew, we knew after Julie," Joe shrugged. "We all grew to really like her. It was devastating to Brett when she died."

"Oh, no," Gianna's eyes widened.

Capp nodded sadly. "That was really when you saw just how close Brett had gotten with Casey and Severide. They had front row seats to everything Brett went through with her mother, and they were with her for every second of her loss. We were right behind them."

"We're just a little protective," Tony smirked.

Gianna snorted loudly. "You have an interesting definition of a little."

Joe burst out laughing. "Welcome to the club, girl."

Gianna would have joined in had the door to the common room not suddenly slammed open, and Sylvie stormed out, her fury whipping around her like a hurricane. Tony actually leaned back when she swept past him, his eyes wide. "We're doing a supply run, Mackey!" Sylvie ground out.

Gianna scrambled away from Joe, jogging after the PIC. "Sorry! I didn't realize we were low on anything!"

"We're not!"

Gianna looked at Joe with wide eyes, but he shook his head, just as confused as her. "Copy that," she mumbled, jumping into the passenger's seat and hoping her partner wouldn't drive them off a bridge again.

She kind of looked like she wanted to.

***

"OK," Taylor took a sip of her juice, then folded her manicured hands and focused her gaze on the brunette squirming across from her. "Run this by me again now that you aren't panicking and talking at two miles a minute on the phone."

Maddie took a deep breath, brushing her hair out of her face. "Buck and I . . . we didn't have the best parents in the world."

Taylor's expression darkened. "You could've fooled me with how wonderful you two turned out."

Maddie laughed bitterly. "I think I raised Buck the exact opposite of how our parents tried to. I learned what not to do from them."

"Then you did a fantastic job."

"Thanks," Maddie sighed, stabbing her fork into the salad she had gotten. "I feel even worse now."

Taylor frowned uneasily. "Then this has to do with Buck?"

"Yes."

Taylor leaned her forearms on the table, giving Maddie her full attention. "What is it?"

Maddie opened her mouth, then closed it again. "It's something he should know before anyone else," she mumbled.

Taylor's eyebrows raised. "It's a secret?"

"It's been a Buckley family secret."

"Except one Buckley hasn't known it."

"Yes."

"For how long?"

Maddie hesitated, then bit her lip. "Since he was born."

Taylor's eyebrows raised higher. "I'm sorry, say that again?" she asked, a note of anger in her voice.

Maddie shriveled at the tone. "Since he was born."

"Oh, my – " Taylor pressed her fingers to her forehead. "How is this just coming up now?"

"Because . . . " Maddie made a strangled sound, abandoning her salad to press her hand to her mouth. "Look, it has to do with what I'm trying to figure out how to tell Buck."

"Well, when are you gonna tell him?" Taylor demanded, looking at her newest friend. "Because it sounds to me, the sooner he knows, the better!"

"I know!" Maddie burst out. "But I'm worried about how to tell him?"

Taylor sighed. "Maddie, based on what you're telling me . . . the sooner you tell him and the more bluntly you give it to him, the better it's going to go. If you've really kept this from him his entire life . . . no amount of sugar-coating is going to make it any less painful."

Maddie still had her hand over her mouth as she whimpered, "I know."

Taylor scooted her chair over and rubbed Maddie's back, watching the brunette's tears spill. "Should I be ready for damage control if needed?" she asked.

A startled laugh left Maddie's mouth. "Please."

Taylor smirked. "I'll bring the wine."

"Make it white?"

"Deal."

***

Matt ran his fingertips gently over the gash on his brow, wincing when he felt it was still raised. Boy, he hoped Mouch found out what had happened on the ladder soon, at least before something went wrong again –

The door to his quarters was thrown open, and Matt hit his legs on his desk when he tried jumping to his feet. He swore under his breath, then turned to see Kelly all but slam the door shut, his best friend practically vibrating with anger. "Whoa," he frowned in concern. "Sev?"

"Sorry," Kelly seethed, pinching the bridge of his nose, looking like he wanted to punch the window. "Sorry, I just . . . I need a sec."

"Well, better in here than out there," Matt stood from his desk and moving to his bunk, gesturing for Kelly to sit. "Come on, talk to me."

Kelly sighed, dropping next to him. "I went to OFI to ask Van Meter to clear that warehouse fire scene and help that one guy who tried rushing back in. I met the Chief that's supervising the upcoming lieutenant's exam."

"I heard Boden vouched for Kidd to take it," Matt nodded.

"Yeah, she was at his meeting," Kelly scowled. "And for some reason, he thought she was still my girlfriend."

Matt looked at him blankly. "What?"

"Oh, yeah," Kelly scoffed. "Conway's exact words? 'It can't hurt – sleeping with an officer, especially one so closely connected to Commissioner Grissom.'"

Matt's face darkened. "What?"

"Yeah," Kelly nodded. "There's gonna be some discussions the next time I'm in headquarters. There's no way in hell I'm ever getting back with Kidd, so if that's something she's spreading but none of us have heard . . . "

"I can ask Delaney if he's heard anything," Matt offered. "House 20, as much as I never thought that would ever happen, is basically our firehouse best friend, they'll likely be entrenched in gossip."

Kelly sighed in relief. "Thanks, man."

"Hey, no problem," Matt squeezed his shoulder. "And if Kidd gives you any more grief . . . well, I'm her captain. It's my job to give her hell."

Kelly smirked. "Not your job as my best friend?"

"No," Matt shook his head, then smirked. "My job as your best friend would be to sic Delaney and Violet on the CFD gossip mill."

Kelly grinned. "You are evil, Matt Casey."

Matt laughed. "Is that what I am?"

"Yes, you are," Kelly punched Matt in the shoulder, and the captain laughed, collapsing back on his bunk. "You are an evil mastermind!"

"Better be glad I'm not using it against you!" Matt crowed.

Kelly groaned, flopping back as well. "I hate you."

"No, you don't."

He sighed. "No, I don't." He turned his head to look at Matt. "Seriously, man. I owe you one for this."

"I will collect in the form of a cigar chat or a night out, just the two of us."

Kelly chuckled. "Toss Sylvie to the wolves?"

Matt paused. "Maybe to Burgess, Upton, and Manning."

Kelly snorted. "We'd never get her back."

"Good point."

Kelly sighed, looking around. "These offices really are our safe spaces, aren't they?"

Matt smiled softly. "Better here in private than out there in plain view of everyone."

***

"Hey, Captain?"

Matt twisted from his conversation with Boden as Emily jogged up, a worried look on her face. "Yeah, Foster?" he asked.

She looked around the crowded firehouse, the protesters and the others on shift, then took a deep breath. "Check your office, please?" she pleaded quietly.

Matt took two seconds to count everyone from their shift out on the floor and easily realized who wasn't there. He politely excused himself, then grabbed Kelly by the arm and dragged him back into the house. "Casey!" the lieutenant squawked, literally stumbling after his best friend.

Matt opened the door to his office, and sure enough, there was Sylvie on the bunk, her arms around her knees. "Sorry," she whispered, wilting under his gaze. "I . . . I just needed to be somewhere quiet."

"Hey, don't apologize for that," Matt shook his head, Kelly recovering his footing and shutting the door behind them, then shutting the blinds. "What happened?"

Sylvie took a deep breath. "Scott came by. He wants me to take the baby."

Kelly almost fell over Matt's chair. Matt almost tripped over his own feet. "What?" both men asked at the same time.

Sylvie nodded in agreement as they sat on either side of her. "I mean, I . . . I know that I offered to help, but I didn't expect . . . I mean, that's crazy. I . . . I can't take care of a baby right now! And there's no way that he actually wants that, you know?" She looked between them, her face draining of color as she second guessed herself. "He's just panicking, right?"

Kelly swallowed. "I've . . . never gone through anything like this before, Sylvie. I have no idea."

Matt sighed. "That would be my guess, but I don't really know him."

Sylvie nodded in understanding, then scoffed. "Neither do I. I mean, I . . . I barely knew Julie." She sniffed, then angrily scrubbed at her eyes as she started crying in earnest. "Except that I did! I mean, I knew her as well as I've ever known anyone, and I miss her already, so much!" She buried her face in her hands, the tears she thought she had already cried over Julie coming back and harder. "I was supposed to have more time!"

Matt's heart broke all over again for the paramedic who had the biggest, most golden heart of them all. One look at Kelly's face showed he felt the same way, and they adjusted their position on the bunk to give Sylvie the biggest hugs they could. "I'm sorry, Sylvie," the captain whispered, nuzzling the top of her head.

She just sobbed harder. "I don't know what to do!"

"Hey," Matt tilted her chin up to look at him. "Whatever you decide, we're here, OK?"

Sylvie nodded numbly. "We've got your back, Sylvie," Kelly cupped the back of her neck, gently massaging away the stress he felt. "Never doubt that, OK? We've got you."

Sylvie sniffed and nodded, both officers resting their heads on hers comfortingly. The moment was broken by a soft knock on the door. "Captain?" Capp's quiet voice said. "The alderman's here."

As much as they needed the alderman in the moment, Matt silently cursed the politician's timing. Based on Kelly's annoyed grumble, he felt the same. He kissed the top of Sylvie's head, then carefully stood, rubbing her back as he did. "We'll be right behind you," Kelly said.

Matt nodded, opening the door, not at all surprised when he saw not just Capp, but also Joe, Tony, and Emily hovering outside. He smiled sadly and stepped back, letting the four scramble over each other to get inside. Sylvie let out a wet laugh as Emily announced "cuddle pile!" and flopped onto the bed next to her, taking the spot on Sylvie's other side, leaving the other three Squad members to get creative with how to join. Kelly still stayed curled around their girl, though, a fond smile on his face.

Matt made sure to take a quick picture on his phone before he disappeared out the door.

***

"Well," Kelly sat back up, cracking his back as he did. "I'll go check out that scene with Ken, see what happened to that car he would've run back in for."

"Go ahead," Matt nodded.

***

"Hey, Cap!"

"Yeah?" Owen poked his head out of his office when he heard Paul's call.

"Deputy Chief Radford for you!"

Owen walked to the railing of the loft, seeing the chief speaking with Judd down below. "Chief Radford," he jogged down the steps. "How can I help you?"

"Not much right now," Radford shook his head. "May we speak in your office?"

"Of course," Owen nodded, exchanging a look with Judd. He had a feeling he knew what this was about. "Right this way, sir."

The two men walked into the captain's office, Buttercup slipping in just before Owen could close the door. Radford chuckled, patting the dog on his head. "You have the whole package, Captain."

"Yeah, well," Owen shrugged. "He's my canine counterpart. He deserves to be here." He sat down in his chair, Buttercup walking over and curling at his feet. "What can I do for you, Chief?"

Radford folded his hands on Owen's desk. "Tell me, Captain Strand, of your experience with rescue squads."

Owen sat back in his chair, the satisfaction of knowing he was correct giving him the confidence to answer. "Prior to 9/11, I was the lieutenant of NYFD Rescue Squad 6," he said. "I set the highest records at the NYFD Academy for heavy rescue certification. After the Towers came down and I was given the captaincy, I had to take charge of the house and the ladder. Before we moved to Austin, TK and I were in the process of applying for another squad rig at the 252. I don't know if the application continued after we left."

"I asked," Radford said. "It indeed went through, including the ranking paramedic riding with the firefighters."

Owen whistled, impressed. "I wasn't sure it would."

"It did," Radford smiled. "And I have a proposition for you."

Owen nodded. "I'm listening."

"The brass have been examining all of the calls each house has received since the start of the year," Radford said. "And we have all come to the collective decision that the department needs more heavy rescue crews. We're picking through the houses to see who has the most calls, but also who have gotten the more rescue specific calls."

"It's good you're counting both," Owen nodded. "A firehouse may not have as many calls as another, but they could have three times the number of heavy rescues compared to a busier house."

"Exactly," Radford agreed. "Right now, your house is both. I'm here to ask that if your house was chosen to add a rescue squad, would you be willing to captain that rig?"

Owen tilted his head. "Who would lead the ladder?"

Radford chuckled. "I have it on good authority you have an excellent second in-command who could be the interim officer until you find a good fit for your house."

"You would still leave finding the replacement officer to me?" Owen asked in surprise.

"Yes," Radford nodded with certainty. "You built this house from ashes, Captain. You know what makes this house tick, what makes it live. No one else in the AFD with the power to install an officer knows. When you find the fit for your house, make it official."

Owen nodded. "I'd have to talk to Judd, but I think he would be up for it." He sat straighter. "If the 126 is chosen for a squad rig, I would be more than happy to lead that crew."

"Excellent," Radford smiled happily. "And of course, you would be the one to pick your crew as well."

Owen smiled. "I'd look forward to it immensely."

***

A low, impressed whistle made Kelly almost look up from the work he was doing on Ken's car. "Now this is what I call a beauty!"

"I know, right?" Kelly grinned, pulling back as Matt and Sylvie walked into the remnants of the warehouse, Matt eyeing the car, impressed. "The moment I saw it, I got why Ken here wanted to run back in for it."

"Yeah," Matt nodded, looking at the car reverently. "I definitely get it now."

"Sorry," Sylvie smiled apologetically. "I'd gush if I knew anything about cars."

"Hey," Ken chuckled, shaking his head. "To each their own, right?"

"Right," Sylvie nodded.

"You two are looking better," Kelly noted.

"Mouch wasn't to blame for the aerial," Matt said. "Turns out when Gorsch got the rig, there was a recall order for it because there were intermittent override switch errors."

"That affects the turntable control, right?" Kelly frowned.

"And then throws the aerial off balance," Matt nodded. "And the repairs were never made to the rig before it was delivered to the house. I owe Mouch many drinks the next time we're at Molly's."

"We all do," Sylvie sighed. "We all gave him the cold shoulder the rest of the shift."

"Yeah," Kelly sighed, sitting back on his heels. "What about you, Sylvie? Looked like you were pretty pissed off about something when you left earlier."

"Oh, I was," Sylvie nodded. "But then I got to destroy a drone, so I feel much better."

Even Matt looked at Sylvie incredulously. "You . . . destroyed a drone?" Ken repeated.

"In my defense, the drone chopped off part of our victim's nose," Sylvie shrugged. "It was deemed a threat to our safety. Mackey whacked it out of the air, and I did the rest." She grinned. "Smash therapy is a wonderful thing. Would absolutely recommend."

Kelly cleared his throat. "Noted."

"And what about the . . . " Matt grimaced. "You know."

"What?" Sylvie looked between them. "What's this about?"

"Probably the same thing you were pissed about," Kelly sighed. "I talked to Van Meter. He'll sort things out at OFI. He can get pretty far up the chain."

"Good," Matt nodded. "I gave Delaney a call, too. He's setting Violet on the CFD gossip mill, too."

Sylvie snorted loudly. "Oh, I'm looking forward to what she says."

"Me, too." Kelly finished working on the car, then brushed his hands off and stood up. "All right, man," he told Ken. "You're good to go."

Ken nodded, then held up the keys. "You ready?"

Kelly did a double take, blinking rapidly. "Me?" he asked in surprise. "You just brought this thing back from the grave! You should be the first one to drive it!"

"Kelly, man," Ken shook his head. "You saved my life, gave me peace of mind. This is all I have to offer in return. Indulge me."

Kelly turned to look at Matt and Sylvie, but both were grinning at him. "We'll be right behind you?" Matt offered.

Kelly finally smiled, nodding and turning to Ken. "All right," he agreed. "Hell, yeah. Let's go!"

"My man!" Ken whooped, tossing the keys to Kelly.

Kelly snatched them out of the air, then turned to Matt and pointed at him. "Don't you dare crash mine."

"Who, me?" Matt asked innocently, Sylvie giggling in amusement.

Kelly snorted and handed Matt his keys, and Matt and Sylvie ran out of the warehouse as Kelly opened the driver's door. Ken slid into the passenger's seat, and Kelly inserted the keys, turning the car on. Ken grinned proudly as the engine turned over, and Kelly inched the car out of the warehouse, reveling in the rumble of the car. Matt blinked the other car lights at them, Sylvie waving from the passenger's seat. Kelly gave a two-finger salute back, then roared onto the streets of Chicago. He could hear Sylvie's whoop of glee from her open window as Matt barreled after them, the two cars soaring down the streets.

There was no better high than this, Kelly decided.

***

Rapid knocking on Buck's door interrupted him from watching the evening news. He frowned, checking his watch as he strolled over to the door. He was pretty certain he didn't have any plans for the evening . . . right?

He checked to see who was standing outside, then blinked in surprise and opened the door. "Maddie?" he asked. "Is everything OK?"

"Um . . . " His sister, his beautiful, confident sister, looked like a leaf would knock her over as she inhaled shakily. "No. I haven't been OK for a few weeks."

"OK," Buck quickly ushered her in, shutting the door behind her. "Um . . . does Chimney know? Can I get you anything?"

"No, Chimney doesn't know," Maddie shook his head. "And he isn't gonna know until you tell me I can tell him."

Buck blinked slowly. "It's, uh . . . this is something I know?"

"No," Maddie shook her head, sinking onto the couch. "It's something you don't know. Which is why it's up to you what we tell everyone else."

Buck had a sinking feeling in his stomach as he sat next to Maddie. "You're starting to worry me, Maddie."

She swallowed. "I'm sorry," she whispered. "I really am. I should've told you this so much sooner, but I never knew how, not with our parents in the house, not when I was with Doug . . . and God, when I saw how happy you were here in L.A., I had no idea how to even think of starting this conversation."

Buck's mouth felt as dry as a desert. "What . . . what is this, Maddie?"

She took a deep breath, then took something out of her coat. "Look at this."

Buck took the picture from her as if he was holding a nuclear bomb, and he frowned, looking at the boy on a bike. "This is . . . ?"

"The secret I will never forgive myself for keeping as long as I have," Maddie whispered.

Buck looked at the picture uneasily, then frowned, realizing something. "This doesn't look like our house," he said slowly.

"It isn't," Maddie agreed. "Not the house we lived in. Flip it over, Evan."

Buck did, checking the date on the back. "1988?" he asked incredulously. "I wasn't even born yet!"

"No. You weren't."

Buck looked at the picture again, dread filling him. If this was a house he hadn't lived in, taken during a year he wasn't alive . . . "Maddie, who is this?"

Maddie's tears had already started dripping down her cheeks. "That's Daniel," she answered, her voice cracking. "He died. He was our brother."

In eight words, Buck's world flipped upside down.

***

Folks of any gender identification, please fasten your seat belts. We are approaching very high turbulence, and I would recommend you stay seated for the duration of the bumpy ride.

graphic by marvelity

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

27.2K 780 22
"no return we'll crash and burn" ~~ In which two friends fall in love despite their best efforts not to ~~ (extended summary inside) Evan Buckley x O...
12.5K 325 19
After being given a second chance at life, Marina Cruz decides it is time for a new change. With the help of her cousin, she drops out of college, mo...
116K 1.9K 33
Thaila Strand is Tk's half sister. Despite the fact that they are family they have never met. It didn't help that they lived thousands of miles away...
14.9K 310 19
Chase Mackey is hell bent on making the 118 pay for cheating him out of the money from Buck's lawsuit, and will do whatever it takes to get Buck to r...