Chapter Fifty-One

The 126 lands in Los Angeles, but they only get one night of peace and quiet before everything goes haywire. Turns out when a famous author hides five million dollars somewhere in the city, everyone goes to ridiculous lengths to try and find it. Who'd've thunk?

Enjoy the first part of "Treasure Hunt!"

***

"You mean to tell me you are coming back to Los Angeles, and the only reason you can think of to not bring Christopher is because you don't want to overwork the friend who's coming to watch the other paramedic captain's twins?"

Eddie winced, hearing the chastising tone on the other end of his phone. "Well, when you put it that way . . . "

"And that is why you called me, Eddie Diaz," Carla huffed. "If you bring Christopher with you to Los Angeles, I will watch him while you're out and about with whatever happens. I've missed that boy, and any time I get to spend with him will be time well spent."

Eddie smiled, finishing loading his suitcase. "You're amazing, Carla."

"I know I am, hon," Carla teased, and Eddie laughed. He had missed her. "Now, tell me how long you'll be in Los Angeles so I know how long to hog his attention."

Eddie snickered. "Last I heard from Captain Strand, it'll be at least two weeks. It's long for a conference, but according to him, everyone who's coming will also be helping out in the city. So firehouses from different cities will partner up for calls, and same with police. I know Grace and Maddie will be taking shifts at the dispatch center. Carlos is a patrol officer, so he wasn't tapped to go, but his father pulled some strings after everything that went down with a serial arsonist a bit ago. He's got the time off to watch Captain Vega's girls, because there's no way she's comfortable with leaving them here so soon after their father's death."

Carla sighed sadly. "I understand, hon. If something comes up while you're here and those girls need watching, too, I'd be happy to take them. Anything for my boys."

"You're a gift from God," Eddie smiled.

Carla chuckled. "I look forward to seeing my boys again."

"Likewise, Carla." He heard the click of a hanging-up phone, and he smiled down at Carla's contact before walking out of the bedroom. "Good news!" he announced, walking into the living room.

"What's that?" Buck asked, looking up from where he and Christopher were building LEGO sculptures on the floor.

"I, in fact, did find someone who is more than happy to be with Christopher while we're in Los Angeles," Eddie beamed, leaning in the doorway.

"Not Abuela and Abuelo in El Paso, right?" Christopher wrinkled his nose.

Eddie snickered. "No, you're not staying in Texas, mijo."

Buck did a double take. "I get to come?" Christopher asked in excitement.

"You do," Eddie nodded with a smile. "Because Carla didn't let me say a word against keeping you here."

Christopher's eyes lit up. "I get to be with Carla?!"

"Really?" Buck asked in shock. "On such short notice?"

Eddie grinned. "She basically insisted. So . . . guess who needs to start packing?"

"Yippee!" Christopher cheered.

"The whole family in L.A.," Buck realized.

Eddie smirked. "We have all the back-up we need if this turns ugly."