Chapter Thirty-Two

Of course this is the longest chapter of the book so far. Of course. *rolls eyes* Here, have 13.5K words of me rushing to get to the next Lone Star episode . . . and I will forever deny that part of the reason I wanted to do part of "There Goes The Neighborhood" is to use that gif up top.

Bobby finds out just how insane Sylvie can be, Athena doesn't know whether to be exasperated or impressed, Eddie comes to a decision, Taylor is a good friend, the Vega twins are great co-conspirators, and Sylvie and Owen win Most Secretive Awards.

Enjoy!

***

Bobby Nash liked to think he was a simple man. He loved his job as a fire captain. He loved his team at the 118, from Chimney to Hen to Eddie to Lena, even to the probie who jinxed them. He loved the family he had lost in Minnesota, and he loved the family he had gained in Los Angeles. He loved his stepchildren, May and Harry. He loved his wife, Athena. He even (he knew some people were likely confused by this) loved Athena's ex-husband, Michael. It was Bobby that Michael had trusted with Harry, and it was Michael that helped Bobby really feel welcome to the family.

So when, after a shift that included Hen ranting about her mother and Eddie and Lena capturing a stray turkey like they were in a Western movie (Eddie had laughed hysterically when he heard the turkey's name was Sonny), Athena had asked Bobby to check on Michael, he hadn't batted an eye. Michael was his friend, and when he heard why Athena wanted him to stop by, he agreed instantly.

Harry grinned in delight as they finished cleaning up the dishes. "Dinner was great, Bobby," he said cheerfully. "You should come visit more often!"

Michael chuckled, patting Harry on the shoulder. "And you should do your homework."

"I can do it tomorrow morning," Harry shrugged. He paused when Michael gave him a pointed look, and he gulped, getting up from his chair. "Or not."

Bobby laughed, watching Harry leave, and Michael matched his chuckle, turning to face him. "He's right. Dinner was great, truly. Please thank Athena for forcing you to bring it over."

"She didn't force me," Bobby shook his head. Michael looked at him in exasperation, and Bobby held up his hands. "But she did think maybe you could use someone to talk to."

Michael sighed fondly, shaking his head. "I'm fine, really."

Bobby nodded, taking it in stride, then pointed at the large new object that he had noticed when he walked into the apartment. "And she mentioned your new hobby."

Michael blinked. "What?"

"Your new hobby," Bobby nodded, walking up to the large gold telescope aimed out the window.

"It's not – !" Michael stammered, trying to explain himself as Bobby looked the piece over. It was gorgeous, after all. "You know, it's really just a way to pass the time, I mean, considering how much I have of it lately." Bobby hummed, peering through the lens, frowning when he saw the place Michael had aimed. "But, you know," Michael cleared his throat, "there is something weird going on across the street."

Bobby looked up. "You mean the guy?" he asked, referencing the apartment he had seen. "The guy with the women? With all the women young enough to be his daughters?"

Michael nodded enthusiastically. "There's so much foot traffic!" he explained as Bobby continued to watch. "I mean, younger women, older women, a few men, in and out all the time, every day. I've seen some of 'em with bruises, and a couple of them have bandages."