My companion | میرےہمدم

By 7Hazel

#3 in Pakistan ( 4-1-2021) #1 in Pakistan (19-1-2021) What will happen when two opposite souls are betrothed... More

Authors note
Characters Sketch
Reflection|عکس
Dissociation | بچھڑنا
Sparkle | رونق
Priceless | انمول
Meeting | ملاقات
Restlessness | اضطراب
Stars | انجم
I do | قبول ہے
Indifference | تغافل
Strangers | اغیار
Coincidence | اتفاق
Gem | گوہر
Effort | کاوش
Full Moon | ماہ کامل
Longing | حسرت
Worry | تفکر
Determination | عزم
Blow | ضرب
Darkness | تیرگی
Begining | ابتداء
Sincerity | اخلاص
Responsibilty | ذمہ داري
Pain | درد
Mark | نقش
Trust | اعتماد
Colors | رنگ
Author's note
Family | خاندان
Moment | لمحہ
Care | خیال
Delighted | شاد
Selfless | بےلوث
Protector | پاسباں
Birthday | سالگراہ
Birthday-II | سالگراہ
Birthday-III | سالگراہ
Gradually | رفتہ رفتہ
Closeness | قربت
Related | وابستہ
Affect | اثر
Eid | عید
Embrace | آغوش
Face to face | مقابل
Dewy | شبنمی
Not an update
Unique | نایاب
Drop | قطرہ
Lost in wonder | محوحیرت
Sacred | مقدس
Knock | دستک
Separation | جدائی
Evening | سانجھ
Awaiting | منتظر
Unexpected | غیر متوقع
Confront | روبرو
Misunderstanding |غَلَط فہمی
Helplessness | بے بسی
Unease | خلش
Complete | مکمل
Author's note
Epilogue-1
Epilogue-2

Twilight | شفق

21.7K 1.2K 1.2K
By 7Hazel

(A/N: Greetings! I'm so sorry for making you wait today. I had a family emergency due to which I wasn't home.The good news is it's still friday and as promised there you go. Happy read. :) )

Ghum-e-zindagi, ghum-e-bandagi,

Ghum-e-do jahan, ghum-e-karavan.

Meri hur nazar, teri muntazir,

teri hur nazar, mera imtihan. 

-----------------------------------------------------

Unedited:

Zohaib stepped out of the washroom, drying his hair with a towel with one hand, and opened the closet with another hand. He could hear Faryal and Zahra's voices and Zahra's favorite rhymes in the background. He starred at his hanging clothes and an idea came into his head.

"Faryal", he called out, still facing the closet.

"Ji (yes)", she replied.

"Come here",

Faryal adjusted Zahra's pony, made her sit in a secured place, and walked up to Zohaib.

"You called me", she stated. Zohaib turned around to face her.

"Remember you said today is my day", he raised an eyebrow.

"Umm yeah", she replied and looked at him curiously.

"Pick out work dress for me", he demanded.

"Mein? (Me?)", she made a face of disbelief.

"Is there anyone else except you?", he said and strode inside the room. He sat beside Zahra on the bed.

Faryal frowned and went through his clothes.

"Zohaib which color of shirt do you want to wear?", she called out.

"Why would I help you, do it yourself", he replied. He threw the towel on the bed and bend down to Zahra's level.

"You can help me a little bit", she complained and picked out a sky blue colored dress shirt.

"Nope", he smiled mischievously.

"I think it would look fine?", she stated more like a question showing him a khaki-colored dress pant with a sky blue shirt.

"Yup, perfect", he got up and took it from her anddisappeared into the washroom to get changed. A few minutes later he came out of the washroom.

"Badshah Salamat (My lord), What else do you want me to do for you", she said dramatically and bowed down in front of him. He let out a chuckle.

He forwarded the tie in her direction. She pressed her lips together and took it from his hand. She wrapped it around his neck "Then you call me a kid, which I'm clearly not but just have look at yourself", she said while tying the knot. He wrapped his hands around her waist and slightly pulled her towards himself.

"Zohaib let me concentrate", she whined.

"Get ready tonight, we should go out for the dinner", he said.

"Sub jaen gay? (Everyone is going?)", her eyes lit up. "It will be fun".

"Hum jaen gay (We are going)", he rolled his eyes. "What's the point of going outside if everyone is going with us". 

She adjusted his tie and left it. "Okay, I'll be ready", she said.

"Can you accompany me to my friend's place too?", he asked. "He had a baby a while ago so I was thinking to pay him a visit. If you are free you can join me too".

"I will", she smiled. How could she deny him, it was the first time he was going to introduce her to one of his friends.

"Then we will first go to his place and then for the dinner", he said. She nodded.

He unwrapped his hands from her waist and looked at Zahra, she was lost in her favorite rhymes.

"Let me say bye to Zahra", he mumbled and went towards Zahra. He sat down beside her and kissed her cheek blocking the t.v screen. Zahra groaned and pushed his face away. Zohaib looked at her in surprise.

"You love your rhymes more than me, wait I won't leave you until forget about these stupid rhymes", he said.

"Zohaib let her be ignorant, don't leave her crying for you", Faryal said but he clearly ignored her.

Zohaib pampered Zahra with unlimited kisses to the point till he got her attention. Zahra looked at his work clothes and the realization dawned upon her. She stood up and clung to him.

"Zahra come, daddy has to go to work", Faryal said and tried to take back Zahra from him but Zahra wasn't ready to leave him.

"I've warned you Zohaib. You didn't have to get her attention when you are leaving.", Faryal's expression showed her displeasure.

"It's nothing, I can take her with me", he said. "Zahra do you want to with daddy?".

Zahra smiled.

"You wish" Faryal snatched Zahra from him. Zahra let out a loud cry and tried to get out of Faryal's hold.

"Please leave, I'll calm her down", Faryal patted Zahra's back.

Zohaib picked up his bag, kissed Zahra's head and Faryal's forehead, and left. Faryal whispered sweet nothings in Zahra's ear and in a few minutes Zahra calmed down.

"Let's watch your rhymes together. You don't have to cry my love", she sat down on the bed with Zahra in her lap. Zahra looked at her and frowned. Faryal understood that Zahra wants her to play another one. She picked the remote and played another one. 

Faryal's cell phone rang. She picked up it from the nightstand and attended the call.

"Assalam u Alikum baba jan", she said.

"I'm very well baba and Zahra is good, just busy watching her favorite rhymes. You know how much she likes them",

Baba Jan laughed.

"How are Amma Jan and Agha Jan?", Faryal asked.

"They are good. Pay them a visit when you are free. They miss you",

"Ji baba",

"Did you discuss with Zohaib?", baba Jan questioned.

"No", Faryal replied. "I don't think so he remembers her birthday and I didn't get the right time to tell him".

"Her birthday is just around the corner. Do you want me to talk to him?", Baba Jan asked.

"No baba, I'll talk to him tonight In'Sha'Allah", Faryal said. "By the way, I have contacted the boutique you recommended me. Although I have got a theme in my mind and liked a few dresses there, I want Zohaib to finalize the things. He should be involved too, right baba?",

"Absolutely right",

*****

"Zain I'm waiting for you outside, where have you gone?", Mahum asked.

"Mahum baji I took our car to a mechanic", Zain lied. He was hiding behind a tree and looking at her.

"The car was fine a few minutes ago. What happened suddenly?", Mahum frowned.

"I don't know what happened to it suddenly. Don't worry, I'll call mom she will send someone to pick you up", Zain said.

"Okay, I'll wait", Mahum said and disconnected the call.

"Done", Zain messaged mom.

"Ufff", Zain blew the air from his mouth and wiped the sweat from his forehead. "Astaghfirullah, patah nahi kithne jhoot bolne parhen gay muje inke leye (I seek forgiveness in God. I don't know how much I'll have to lie for them)". he mumbled.

*****

"Mom how can I pick her now?", Huzaifa said in a low voice.

"Why you can not? You can drop her home and then continue your plans with Inaya", Mom said sternly.

"Okay", he sighed. "Allah Hafiz".

"Is everything alright?", Inaya questioned.

"Yup", he nodded. "I need to pick up my cousin first".

"Hmm", she hummed. A few minutes later they reached at embassy. Huzaifa stepped out of the car and looked around to find Mahum. His eyes fell on her, she was talking with a boy of apparently her age. Huzaifa couldn't see his face.

"He is there too", he burned with rage. He walked up to her but before he could reach the boy left.

"Who was he?", Huzaifa questioned. Mahum turned around listening to his voice.

"Tum say matlub? (Does it concern you?)", she replied sarcastically. He fetched a deep breath to calm down his anger.

"Let's go, I'll drop you home", he said.

"I'll go in a taxi. Thanks", she said.

Huzaifa glanced around and said, "Don't create a scene here. Mom wants me to drop you at home".

Mahum huffed and almost ran towards the car. Huzaifa shook his head and followed her. She opened the front passenger seat door for herself and paused.

"Hi Mahum", Inaya smiled.

"Sorry I didn't know you are in the car", Mahum said awkwardly. She turned her head back, Huzaifa was standing behind her. She shut the door and before she could reach the back door Huzaifa opened it for her. She didn't look at him and sat down in the back passenger seat. Huzaifa shut the door, walked around, and took the driving seat. He ignited the engine.

"Why are you going back?", Inaya asked.

"I need to drop Mahum home", Huzaifa replied.

"Oh come on, don't be silly. We can take her with us.", Inaya said.

"Thank you Inaya but it's not needed at all. I don't have any intention to play gooseberry. Please take me home first", Mahum said. She kept looking outside the window.

"Please Mahum I insist?", Inaya looked back

"But-",

"Please", Inaya added.

Mahum turned her head, for a moment she caught Huzaifa's gaze in the rear view mirror. "Okay", she accepted. He averted his gaze.

Mahum leaned back on the seat and looked outside the window, whereas Inaya was talking with Huzaifa. Whatever Inaya said felt extremely similar to Huzaifa's taste. They were compatible life partners.

Mahum wanted to ignore them but she couldn't. Inaya seemed a perfect match for him. She looked at herself and realized she was nowhere near his likings. She was already regretting accepting Inaya's wish to accompany them. After a few minutes of drive, he parked the car in front of a 5-star hotel.

Inaya and Huzaifa get off of the car. Huzaifa opened the door for Mahum.

"I'll wait for you guys in the car", Mahum said.

"Get out of the car Mahum", Huzaifa said softly. "I can't leave you here alone".

"If you are not coming we will sit here with you too", Inaya said. Mahum groaned and came out of the car.

They went inside. The staff led them to a private area Meesha has reserved for them.

"Huzaifa do you love kids?", Inaya asked once they seated.

Huzaifa nodded.

"Since our marriage happening in such a rush I want to know when do you want us to think about having a kid.", She mentally facepalmed herself to agree with Meesha's madness. The questions Meesha told her to ask were unsettling for her. Inaya glanced at Mahum, she looked pale.

Huzaifa thought for a moment. Discussing all these things in front of the girl he has imagined his future was getting hard for him. Mahum played with the food on her plate. A lump was formed in her throat, that she couldn't swallow away.

"I never thought about it. I believe it's a mutual decision of husband and wife.", he replied.

Inaya discussed with him the wedding and the honeymoon plans. With each passing second, the lump in Mahum's throat was getting bigger and bigger, and tried to fight back the tears.

Inaya again peeked at Mahum and then back to Huzaifa. The tension between them was palpable.

Inaya picked up her cell phone and texted "Executed", to Meesha. A few minutes later Inaya's phone rang. She received the call.

"Oh God, How did this happen?", Inaya said.

"Yeah yeah don't worry I'm coming", Inaya got up from the chair and disconnected the call.

"What happened?", Huzaifa questioned in concern.

"It's just an emergency at my friend's place, I'm so sorry but I'll have to leave", Inaya said.

"I'll take you there", Huzaifa offered.

"Oh no, please have your lunch, I'll manage to go there. Don't worry.", Inaya took a step forward and then stopped. "And please don't pay the bill Meesha bhabhi will look after it", Saying that Inaya left.

Huzaifa heaved a sigh and looked at Mahum, she was playing with the food.

"Finish your food, we have to go back home", He said.

Mahum glared at him. She angrily picked up a glass and threw it on the floor. Huzaifa starred at her, observing her actions quietly with his face devoid of any emotion.

"You wanted to hurt me, that's what you always wanted right Huzaifa? her lips wobbled. She clapped and laughed out loud.

She stood up from the chair and in one swift moment she threw the plates and cutlery too 

"Congratulations you are successful", her voice cracked. "Congratulations Huzaifa", she yelled and started crying. She couldn't hold herself anymore and the tears started falling from her eyes. With each teardrop fell the memory, a free-falling river of her feelings for him.

She hid her face with her hands.

Huzaifa got up from his place and went towards her.

"What happened why are you crying", he asked worriedly. "I've not done or said anything to you today", he tried to remove her hand from her face.

"Don't touch me, you don't have any right", she removed her hand and looked him into his eyes. Her eyes were bloodshot and tear were continuously falling down.

"What happened to you suddenly?", he questioned. She punched him hard on his chest.

"You brought me here purposely", she said.

"Mahum", he called her

"Mar gyi Mahum (Mahum died)", she yelled.

"I'm tired of pretending that I'm fine, I'm strong, I'm not broken, I don't get hurt....but I'm not", she hiccuped "I'm also a human. I get hurt, I get weak and I can get tired of being fine.....You could have to wait a few days to get married, I was leaving anyways", she sniffed and kept punching his chest. Her punches were hurting him but he kept his gaze fixed on her without saying a word. Her outburst was like a breath of fresh air for him, full of hope.

He grabbed her wrists and pulled her towards himself, "Listen--"

"No, you listen." she yelled and removed his hands harshly from herself.

"Tumhe tou dil mein rakha tha mein nay Huzaifa. thorha sa dil rukh lethay mera (I've kept you in my heart, you could have kept my heart a little bit", she said softly. She looked at him with tear-filled eyes.

" I was leaving anyway. You could wait a little bit to get married, it's just a few days.....You could have wait", she bent her head and wailed.

"Farq parhtha hai muje, bohut prhtha hai. Muje apni cheezein bantnay ki adat nahi. Jaan nikalthi hai meri tumhe kisi aur mein magun dekh kar. Kisi ka saya bi bardasht nahi hotha muj say tumhre aas pass. Pur tum tou poray k poray kisi aur k ho gye meri ankhon k samne (It affects me, it affects me a lot. I don't have a habit of sharing my things. I die whenever I see you busy with anyone else. I can not tolerate someone's shadow over you but you have become someone else's in front of my eyes)", she looked up and looked him into the eyes.

She took a deep breath and wiped her face. She mentally consoled herself to stop crying and started taking deep and heavy breaths. Suddenly Inaya's face and her words echoed in her mind.
She grabbed him by the collar "You won't marry Inaya", she ordered. The old Mahum was back now.

"Then who should I marry?", he questioned.

"No one", she replied. "Mar dalon gi mein tumhe agr tumne shaddi ka socha b kabi (I'll kill you even if you ever thought to get married)". His lips stretched into a smile. As much as her tears were breaking his heart her outburst was giving her hope.

She closed her eyes and fetched a deep breath. "You know what today I'll free you from my love, this unwanted baggage. For forever. Because I've understood I can never become yours and you can never become mine. I'll forget you. You are free Huzaifa. But If you ever decided to get married I'll kill you". She slowly left his collar and turned around. She went towards the table and picked up her handbag.

Before she could take another step, "phir tum kar lo muj say shaddi (Then you can marry me)", Huzaifa's words stopped her in her tracks. She quickly turned her head towards him and gave him a quizzical look.

"I love you", he confessed.

For a moment she felt like the world stopped around her. "Mazak urha rahe ho meri bebasi ka (You are making fun of my helplessness)", she laughed ruefully.

He ignored her words and stepped forward. He took her both in his and held them tightly." Bht pyaar krtha hun mein tumse Mahum (I love you a lot Mahum)".

"You are lying", Tear welled up in her eyes again.

"Jhoot bol rahay ho tum ( You are lying)", she raised her voice and shook her head. "Meri hansi, mere qehqay meri zaat ko round kar tum apne huq mein kisi aur ko qubool kar bethay ho Huzaifa. Mazak na urho meray jazbat ka ab. (You have already tramped my smile, my laughter, my soul and have accepted someone else in your life Huzaifa. Don't make fun of my emotions now.)".

He sat down on the floor on his knees in front of her, still holding her hands. Mahum looked at him in bewilderment.

"I love you. I love you so much", he looked up. "Soo dil bi hothay tou qasm lay lo saray tumhre hothay (If I had hundred hearts, I swear they all would be yours)", his voice craked and a lone tear fell from his eye. She was silently looking at him with glassy eyes.

"Ajub sa ishq hai muje tumse. Na hi koe wadaein, na roothna hai na manana hai aur na hi koe kasme lekin phir bi tumhra hi qaidi hai mera dil. Muje tumse ishq hai aur beshumar ishq hai (I have a strange love with you. Without any promise, displeasure, and placate yet my heart is your captive)", 

Mahum sat down on the floor in front of him. They both were crying.

"Mahum I know I've been denying my feelings for a long time, but I can not deny them any longer. I love you, it's only you with whom I've imagined my future no one else",

"Suchi (is it true)", she smiled.

"It is", he nodded his head vigorously. He moved forward and wrapped his arms around her. She hugged him tightly and cried. She imagined all those moments when she thought he was going to be someone else's.

She backed off and confessed "I love you too Huzaifa". 

"But what about that bast-", he paused for a moment, "That lover of yours with whom you have planned to get settled in the states".

"Lover", she frowned. "Are you in your senses?".

"The one who has send gajray and love letter the other day", he said.

"Zain got me those gajray which you-", she punched him hard on his chest.

"Ouch", He winced.

"You destroyed them heartlessly. How dare you Huzaifa", she narrowed her eyes.

"and the love letter?", he raised an eyebrow.

"If there was anyone why would I be standing here today. I wish I had someone else in my life so I won't have to get stuck with an idiot, rude and bossy person like you", she punched him again. 

"You are unbelievable".

He held her wrist. "Bus bi karo ab, lug rahi hai muje (Stop it now, it hurts)"

"lagni b chahye (it should hurt)", she flipped her hair. "You deserve it".

"Marry me", he said out of the blue.

She shook her head his mouth fell open.

"But-", he stopped. "Why can't you?".

"Don't order me around. Ask properly. Add "Please" in your sentence. For once can you show some etiquettes", she said smugly.

"Marry me please", he said.

"It sounds too forced", she complained.

He heaved a sigh. "Will you marry me please?".

"That's the proper way you know", she smiled. "Umm I'll think about it", she blew air on her nails.

"What's there to think about it?", he gave her a quizzical look. "You love me isn't it enough".

"No", she replied. "Promise me you will appraise me", she waited for his reply.

"Okay, I promise", he shrugged.

"You will love me forever",

"I promise", he nodded.

"Hmm you won't scold me",

"I prom-", he paused and shook his head. "You provoke me to do that".

"Then forget about getting married", she threw a fit.

"Fine, I can't promise but I'll try", he groaned.

"And...you won't fight with me", she demanded.

"Now that's impossible", he laughed. "Suna hai larhne say muhabbat barhthi hai (I've heard fights increase the love)", his eyes shown raw emotions.

"Uhu.. agar ijazat ho tou tumhra gala dabba dun phir  (Then if you permit me can I choke you?)", she gave him a tightlipped smile and batted her eyes.

He chuckled and pulled her towards himself.

"Jub tum qubool ho tou tumhara sub kuch qubool hai. Pagal ho, jungli ho lekin jesi bi ho meri ho  (When I accept you, I accept your everything. You are crazy and wild but whatever you are you are mine)", he looked into her eyes and said sincerely. She smiled.

"Let's get married Mahum...Please", he said softly. "We can get married, have cute kids like Zahra. Isn't it that what you wanted". he repeated her words.

A warm blush crept towards her cheeks and she looked away to hide her face from him. His lips twitched up in amusement.

*****

Huzaifa and Mahum entered the into the living area. Everyone was gathered there already.

"They are back", Usman said.

"Where were both of you", Tayi Ammi asked angrily. "Do you have any idea how tense we were. You both were not even picking our calls".

Mahum and Huzaifa looked at each other and then back to Tayi Ammi but didn't say anything.

"Ab kya hogya hai tum dono k beech (Now what has happened between both of you)", Dadi shook her head.

"Pyaar (Love)", Huzaifa replied. As long as Dad, Taya abu and Dad jan were not there, he could handle it for now. Zohaib has just came back from work and was sprawled on one of the sofa.

"Okay",  Tayi Ammi said nonchalantly and then her eyes shot open as the realization dawned upon her "WHAT?". 

"We want to get married", Huzaifa added.

"La hawla wala quwwata (There is no power nor strength except by God)", Dadi jan exclaimed. "Yeh tou qayamut ki nishani hai (This is the sign of Doomsday)".

"Dadi jan I"m serious", Huzaifa groaned.

"This is a great news", Mom said happily and looked at everyone with hopeful eyes. "Isn't that what we all wanted".

"I agree", Faryal said and Zain whistleled.

"Mahum is it true?", Dadi jan asked. Mahum nodded.

"Are you both sure about your feelings?", Dadi phupho inquired.

"Yes", Huzaifa and Mahum both said in unison. 

"If the kids want that, I don''t see any wrong in this", Dadi phupho added.

"Exactly", mom said. "What do you think?", Mom asked Tayi Ammi.

"I don't have any issue. I love Huzaifa more than Mahum you know this", Tayi Ammi said to Mom. "Will he be able to live with her". Tayi Ammi laughed.

"Mein bardasht kar lun ga (I'll tolerate her)", Huzaifa said quickly. Mahum narrowed her eyes and elbowed him.

"What about Inaya?", Zohaib said.

""I'll handle it", Mom said.

"So you don't have any problem of us getting married?", Huzaifa asked hopefully.

"Ofcourse not", Dadi jan said.

"Yayyyy", Zain jumped. "I knew only Mahum baji can make things better, Huzaifa bhai was always afraid to confess. My plan worked". Zain did a happy dance.

"Which plan?", everyone frowned.

"So it was you behind all this drama? those gajray and love letter was the part of your plan as well", Huzaifa asked. Zain started running and Huzaifa followed.

"Huzaifa bhai you should be grateful", Zain yelled. Huzaifa wrapped his one around Zain and kissed his cheek.

"You are not angry?", Zain asked.

 "Thank you", Huzaifa kissed him again. Everyone laughed.

"Mom and Faryal bhabhi was also in my team", Zain said.

"What", Zohaib turned his face towards Faryal. "I knew you were up to something but this was beyond my imagination". Faryal flushed and looked away.

"Meesha baji was the master mind", Zain revealed "and you know what", Zain burst into a peal of laughter. "Inaya baji is already engaged".

"What the hell", Huzaifa laughed out loud.

*****

Faryal tied her hair in a high ponytail, brushed them and adjusted the loose strands hanging around her temples. She adjusted the maroon dupatta on her shoulder and looked at her reflection, her maroon dress made her look elegant.

"Ammiii", Zahra called her. Faryal turned around.

Zahra was trying to put off her shoes.

"Uhu, Zahra.", Faryal removed her hand. "We have to go out. Daddy is waiting for us. Don't put off your shoes.", she made Zahra stand on her feet and adjusted her dress.

"Are you ready?", Zohaib asked as he entered the room.

Faryal turned around. "Yes", she smiled. Zohaib looked at her intently making her self-conscious.

"Am I not looking presentable?", she questioned.

He averted his eyes and picked up Zahra's bag in one hand and Zahra in the other one. "I didn't say that, Let's go".

She hummed and they went downstairs. They bid a farewell to the family and left the house.

*****

Zahra starred at the baby and frowned. The baby was also looking at her keenly.  

"Actually she has never seen a child from that close", Faryal said.

"She must be thinking what is this even", Humza chuckled (Zohaib's friend).

"Tell me about your family", Ramsha said to Faryal. (Hamza's wife)

"There is nothing much actually, it's just my baba Jan and my grandparents",

"Faryal is Sir Ismail's daughter", Zohaib said to Hamza.

Hamza thought for a moment and said "Sir Ismail's daughter, Na kar yaar (Don't say that)...That's why she looked a bit familiar but couldn't remember where I've seen her".

"She looks the same except she has lost her baby fat, I was expecting you to recognize her by yourself", Zohaib said.

Faryal's eyes fluttered between both of them in surprise. Zohaib never told her that before.

"She was a kid back then, a studios kid indeed. Whenever we used to go into Sir Ismail's office she would be studying.", Hamza said.

"You might be talking about my O'levels preps. I wasn't a kid though", Faryal stated awkwardly.

"You are so young to be Zohaib's wife and handling a kid", Ramsha said. Faryal got silent and looked down at Zahra.

"Age doesn't matter to me. In a relationship you are just equal partner nothing more nothing less", Faryal said.

"True", Hamza agreed.

Zahra wasn't letting her parents touch the kids and kept clinging to her Ammi.

"That's how kids are. My first one would do the same. Even he would not let us touch his brother. Now look he is completely fine. Zahra would adjust too when she will have a sibling. I would suggest you guys wait a bit to think about having a baby, taking care of two kids at the same time gets hectic", Ramsha said.

Faryal gave her a tight-lipped smile and nodded, that was the only response she could think of. Zohaib glanced at Faryal and then back to Hamza. He had heard whatever Ramsha said to Faryal. 

They had tea at their place and left their house.

Zohaib took them to a restaurant. The staff took them to a rooftop according to his reservation.

"You told them to make these decorations", Faryal was surprised to see the lit candles into the glass jars and holders and a starry sky above. Candlelight dinner was his favorite and a starry night sky was hers's so he decided to combine them both.

"You like it", he pushed the chair for her.

She sat down on the chair and looked around. Her heart did a somersault and she said. "I just love it".

Zahra was turning her head around with mouth agape.

"Zahra loves it too", Faryal smiled. Zohaib ordered Biryani and kabab, Faryal's favorite food.

"Do you want to eat anything else?", he questioned. She shook her head.

"Zohaib why didn't you tell me earlier that you have seen me before", she asked.

"Does it make a difference?", he raised an eyebrow.

"I should have known this", she said meekly. "You called me fat", she suddenly remembered.

"I said you have lost that baby fat", he corrected her. His words did matter to her a lot.

"You were beautiful and you are beautiful", he placed his hand on her's. She nodded.

The waiter served them dinner. They had their dinner while talking with each other and taking care of Zahra. Zahra kept looking at the lights and candles the whole time.

Zohaib asked them to pack the dessert and he took her to a place where he used to go with Ayza. He stopped the car at a barren place that was higher than the rest of the city. The city light's from the height looked enchanting.

Faryal opened the lid of her dessert container and took a spoon full of it. Zahra was asleep in her lap.

"Thanks for bringing me here", Faryal turned her head towards him and smiled.

"We used to come here a lot, you know escape from all the chaos of life.", Zohaib said. Faryal knew he was talking about Ayza.

"It's beautiful", Faryal said. She pushed the loose strand of her back with the back of her hand and unknowingly applied the dessert on the side of her mouth. Zohaib chuckled.

"Always a baby", he muttered.

Faryal looked at him and frowned. He slightly leaned forward. She looked at him with her lips parted. He leaned in some more, almost facing her. Her breath hitched. He looked into her eyes and then stared at her lips, the slight parting was pulling him in. Instead of forwarding his hand he was automatically leaning towards her.

"Zohaib what are--", she said breathlessly.

He cupped her face in his hands and the moment he brushed his lips against her's Zahra shriek in sleep breaking their trance. Faryal quickly opened her eyes and pushed him away.
He was flabbergasted.

"Did you pressed her?", she asked and worriedly checked Zahra.

"It must be a bad dream", he replied looking at Zahra.

The scene from seconds ago flashed in front of Faryal's eyes. She blushed and turned her head away to hide her face from him. She could still feel his lips brushing against her's.

Zohaib was confused over his actions. He mentally cursed himself for what gotten into him to make things awkward between them. The silence was making both of them jittery. Zohaib ignited the car and they went back home. On the way back he kept stealing glances of her but Faryal was frozen to her place, looking outside the window.

"Is she mad at me", was the only question he kept asking himself.

*****

Zohaib placed the pillows around Zahra and went downstairs. As he entered into the living area his eyes met with Faryal but she quickly averted her gaze. He sat down beside dad.

"Mahum can not get married so soon. Let her complete her studies first", Taya Jan said to Dad.

"Okay", Dad replied.

"No Dad", Huzaifa jumped. "I want to marry soon".

"Is besharm ko koe chup karao (Someone please shut this shameless person's mouth)", Taya Abu said in frustration.

"Dadi jan", Huzaifa sat down beside her. He knew his grandparents are the only people who can fulfill his demand.

"Dadi Jan If she wants to go abroad I won't stop her, but I just want her to go after becoming my wife. Is there anything wrong with it", Huzaifa said innocently.

"Huzaifa is absolutely right", Dadi Jan said. "We will do whatever makes my grandchild happy. Start the preparation of their wedding".

"But_",

"Please Taya Jan don't reject my brother", Zain pleaded. "Bht mehnat ki hai mein nay (I've done a lot of hardship)", he muttered.

"It's final no but's and if's", Dadi Jan stopped Taya Abu. "Do you have any other problem with Huzaifa as your son-in-law?",

"No it's not like that. Huzaifa is my child but I want Mahum to complete her studies.", Taya Abu said.

"We can have their Nikkah now and the reception can be done when Mahum come's back", Dadi Jan said.

"Dadi jan rukhasati bi nikkah k sath (", Huzaifa whispered.

"I mean Nikkah and Ruskhasti (sending off the bride with the groom) will take place now", Dadi Jan said.

"They both will make a lovely couple", Dadi phupho said lovingly. That's how much she loved her grandchildren. "But I think their child would also attend their reception if it happened after two years". Mahum blushed whereas Huzaifa was enjoying Dadi phupho's words pretty much.

"There Nikkah can happen after Zahra's birthday, Zain told me that 4 days are left....I mean let Ayza's death anniversary pass", Dadi phupho said.

"Zahra's birthday", Zohaib felt like the breath knocked out of his lungs. 

"How can he not know about it", he thought.

Suddenly everything around him was suffocating him. Faryal looked at him worriedly.He stood up and hastily climbed up the stairs. Everyone silently looked at his retrieving figure.

"I'll check on him", Faryal said looking at mom. Mom nodded. she went upstairs.

Zohaib was lying on the bed, with his eyes closed and rubbing his forehead. She starred at him for a moment and then walked up to him. She sat down beside him and placed her hand on his forehead to press it. He quickly grabbed her hand and opened his eyes. He shook his head indicating her to stop. She nodded and got up.

"Don't go please", he tightened his hold on her hand. She looked down, he seemed scared. Her heart broke at his condition. She sat down beside him. He placed his head on her lap, hiding his face. She pressed her back against the headboard and grazed her fingers through his hair. After a while she felt something wet on her tummy and the realization struck her, he was silently crying.

"Yaadein bohut ajeeb hothi hain patah hai log in ko yaad krne say nahi balkay inke vaar say darthay hain. Mazi ka yaad aana aik cheez hai lekin kisi khaas moqay pur uska samne aa kar karhay ho jana bilkul alug hai. Zohaib ko waqt dena. (Memories are strange, people don't get scared to remember them but instead, they are scared of its an invasion. Remembering a past is one thing but feeling it again at a certain event is different. Give Zohaib some time)", She understood her baba Jan was right.  

--------------------*****--------------------

Assalam u Alikum/Namaste,❤

I hope everything is great at your side.

How was today's update?

Which part of the chapter did you like?

Since I'm done with Huzaifa-Mahum and  Roshni-Uzair's story, the coming chapters will be mostly about Zohaib-Faryal. Just few more chapters and we'll be done with the book. Thanks for your love, it mean's a lot.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

318K 15.5K 31
Gulaab mukhtar khan ; the girl with a bubbly personality; who's laugh and giggles lighten the dark world around her , her beauty was the exact manife...
490K 22.9K 24
She looked at all of them with hopeful eyes. No one belived her. Except Him ! She didn't expect him to believe her out of all the people. She had exp...
21.6K 2.5K 64
••|3rd in Arranged Series|•• Can be read as a standalone I always found myself getting mesmerized by him. And today was no different. As I came into...
816K 35.7K 52
{Book One: Abdallah series} "I'm sorry jawad" I stammered feeling his warm breath fanning my face, and his dark eyes boring into mine, with hate evid...