Ruin

By karema20

As a little girl growing up in the small rural community of Shadow Grove, I used to always hear my mother say... More

Prologue
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80
81
82
83
84
85
86
87
88
89
90
91
92
93
94
95
96
97
98
99
100
101

1

17.7K 987 932
By karema20

Sunday: 8:30 pm
____________

I finish ironing the last of my work uniforms and hang the racks in my closet.

I am tired from a long day of cleaning, washing, cooking, and ironing. The soles of my feet are sore from standing so long and my head feels like someone just hit me with a mortar stick.

I sigh and flop unto my bed, immediately pulling out my phone and clicking on Instagram.

I am instantly met with a colorful plate of grilled salmon, rice and peas and string beans posted on one of the food pages I follow. I'm brought back to my own Sunday meal which I had prepared not long ago. It didn't turn out three bad after all, and the slight burn gave the rice a bit of flavour...kind of like it was cooked on a wood fire.

I wasn't a chef. In fact, I barely cooked, but I was pretty pleased with how it turned out.

Mummy was pleased too that she was able to get a hot meal when she had returned home from church.

I spend a few more minutes mindlessly scrolling through the gram, before I decide to strip out of the blue tights and white spaghetti-strapped blouse I had on and wrap the towel around my body. It makes complete sense. That way I could cool off before showering while I continue to scroll through my Instagram feed.

It is already eight-thirty and I am not yet asleep. The thought of work tomorrow makes me sigh. The only thing I hate more than going to work sometimes, was going to work on a Monday.

I can't wait to take my leave.

My phone chimes and I pull down the screen to read the notification preview.
It is a WhatsApp message from my good friend and co-worker Camille.

I click on the notification to read what it says.

*Hey, beb. Remember we're going to Pricesmart tomorrow to buy some of the things for Friday. Walk with the list, okay?*

I press reply and type a quick text. *Hey. Okay kl*

I almost forgot about that. It's a good thing that she reminded me.

Camille, Sherice and I had decided to throw a small surprise party at the office for Natalie whose birthday was coming up this Saturday. Since she will also be taking her vacation leave in order to celebrate her earth strong, we decided that Friday was the best day to throw it. Firstly, it was closer to her big day, and secondly, Fridays were dressed-down days at the office; a chance to break free of the same old uniformed look.

We had written a list of items we'd need, plus some we would need to check the prices for. I was tasked with keeping the list safe and handy.

Not wanting to forget, I roll off my bed and pull the list from under my teddy bear on the dresser and stuff it inside the small compartment of my handbag before hitting the showers.

It is now around nine forty-five and I still am not sleepy. The night is way too long and way too hot for my liking. I have the fan plugged in and placed right at the foot of my bed but it feels as if it's only blowing hot air.

I contemplated stripping naked several times but decided against it as I remember what my mom used to tell me every time about not knowing what could happen in the wee hours of the night.

I toss once more for the hundredth time and turn unto my back. My legs flail as I do so and cause the sheet to bunch between my legs.

The sensation the bulge between my legs brought forth, makes me suddenly aware of how long I haven't felt anything down there. A feeling washes over me and I groan.

It has been almost three weeks.

I reach for my phone and open WhatsApp. I scroll through the chats until I find the one I am looking for.

*Hey babe.* I type out quickly and click send.

I wait a while, looking at the single tick on the screen. No response.

He must be sleeping. Or working late.

After a few more minutes of torture, I get up and make my way to the living room. I should have done that since night instead of baking myself in the oven that was my room.

The cool air from the living room's AC caressed my skin in a minute and I relish at the feeling. I want to have one installed in my room, but JPS has me on edge.

"But watch yah, yuh nah sleep?" Mummy asks, looking up at me from where she sits on the couch.

The living room was dimly lit; it's only source of light coming from the TV.

Lawd God!

I jump back a little. I didn't see her sitting there.

"Look how yuh a go mash up yuhself. Wah yuh think, mi a duppy?"

I chuckle, willing my heartbeat to calm the heck down.

"Yuh frighten mi mon, mummy!" I say as I go to sit beside her, picking up the cushion from the settee as I do so and taking its space.

She laughs. "Yuh juss too fraidy fraidy. Mi nuh know how you one coward suh fi big woman. How yuh ago manage fi live pon yuh own?"

I smile and lightly shove her by the shoulder. "Mi ago live wid you and daddy til mi old and shrivel up!"

"Yuh mad! Mi soon put yuh out a mi house...'bout live yah 'til yuh ole and shrivel," she says and laughs. "Plus, nuh you seh Odaine want yuh fi move een wid him?"

My eyes open wide and my mouth hangs open. I point my index finger to my chest and look at her, "Me? All dem sum'n yah! A when mi and yuh wul dem lovely argument yah, miss?"

She laughs even harder. "Mi nuh know, mi mussi did a dream!"

Mussi did a more than dream...

"By the way..." she continues, "A wah gwaan wid him? Mi caan tell when mi hear nuttn 'bout him."

My heart falls. It's true. I haven't seen him in three weeks, which to me feels like forever. I sigh and smile to mask the sullen feeling in the pit of my stomach. "He's okay, mummy. He's in Negril working. His company took on a major project to construct a new resort and he's spearheading the whole thing. He's just busy now."

She shakes her head and her eyesbrows knit together. "Mhmm...if a dat yuh seh."

What is she trying to say?

"Wah dah sound de fa, mummy?" I ask, my voice a little clipped.

She doesn't even flinch. "I don't know eno, Manda, but something nuh seem too right 'bout that...me caan deh yah suh and my man deh ova deh suh and mi feel good bout that. Coulda busy likkle more."

I hiss my teeth beneath my breath, making sure it isn't loud enough for her to hear. While I am upset, I am certainly not in the mood to catch hands tonight.

"But yuh nuh different than me now. Daddy deh a Sainty and you deh yah suh. Dat mean him a cheat?"

"Watch yuh mouth, likkle pickney! Who seh nuttn 'bout cheat?" she exclaims.

I hate her style more while...

"But you were implying it..." I say in defence.

I trust Odaine, and if he says he's working, he's working. It's not like he hasn't gone to places for months on over to work. He has even travelled overseas to man major projects. It's nothing new.

"Listen to mi, mi neva imply nor sheply a ting. Mi just voice mi opinion 'bout sum'n weh nuh sit right wid mi. Suh wah yuh a try seh, yuh too big now suh mi caan talk?"

"Mi never seh dat!" I grumble.

That's the thing with my mother. She's always the one to take an argument further than it is to go, then turns around and plays victim.

I am hot and bothered and certainly not in the mood to argue.

"Yuh betta..." she replies. "By the way, a how yuh nah sleep?" She looks at the clock above the whatnot. "It's almost eleven o'clock yuh nuh. Nuh you have work a mawning and know yuh caan wake outta bed when daylight."

I chuckle, thankful for the change of topic. "I can't sleep. The place hot like fiyah! No sah!"

She nods. "Mi seh! Why yuh think mi out yah suh siddung. Worse Fenton nuh deh yah fi clap di dutty mosquito dem, it come like mi blood ketch dem nose and dem sen' guh call di wul a dem mosquito fren dem, dem would a kill mi to hell in deh!"

I laugh at her expression and turn to the TV. "By the way a wah you a watch?"

"Misses, I don't even know. Mi just turn on the TV and it start play. Look fool fool lacka wah..."

I can't stop laughing. It's a blatant distraction from the unread text I still have open on my phone.

Odaine, are you okay?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

164K 15.3K 77
"Uh look so like uh see duppy mumma. Or a uh reflection uh see?" Asked the driver, and I squinted as I tried to get a good look of his face, and he c...
365K 6.8K 66
"What did he - Where did he touch you?" His voice had hardened, mad. I swallowed and looked down. "You son of a-" He walked off the porch, angrily ru...
1.1M 23.3K 40
Maya applied pressure to my wound. I hissed from the pain. "Stop fucking around." She rolled her eyes at me. Maya finished tending my wound, wrapping...
2.3M 153K 104
I'm Zara Williams and I know what you're thinking...but no, I'm not Zara Larsson. I'm a regular degular twenty one year old girl that practically hav...